Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

CHAPTER 13 -

 

CAR SERVICE AFTER AVENUE B DINNER

 

JENNIFER

 

We were all slightly tipsy when we went back to the cars.  Jenny and Gus went back with Brian and Justin to Britin, Mel happily waving them off saying she will explain to Lindz.  Hunter, Vince, Leda and Faal went back to the Treehouse.  Ted gave Ben a lift home and we went back to the Humvee.

 

              "You know Zee, that's the second time you've done that?"

 

              "Huh?"  She looks up from her phone in confusion.

 

              "Second, actually third time you've whispered something...Matt was, well I don't know what that expression was on his face, Faal caved and my son was embarrassed.  So what is it that you say?"

 

              "Ooh Jen!  Thank you!  Had forgotten all about that!  So dish!"  Emmy bounces in his seat

 

              "Not much just make a suggestion."  She replies shyly.

 

              "What's the suggestion?"  Emmy is leaning forward

 

              "Lube..."

 

Emmy looks disappointed.

 

              "Is that it?"

 

              "Patience.  This works for Faal, don't ever tell him I told you!  First get your mouth nice and cold, we are talking having ice chips in your mouth.  Let them melt slowly whilst blowing him, they have to melt then when he's nice and warmed up do it again.  Then get a mix of warming, stimulating and orgasm intensifying lube, make sure it's edible, put some in your mouth and take him down again...it will feel odd at first but trust me that's nothing compared to how it feels for him.  Get some deep into the slit so that you have to lap gently...or do the dip and swirl.  Lick some over his balls and..."

 

              "Wait!  Which brand do you recommend?!"  Emmy is squirming.

 

              "Emmy hush up!"  Daph demands.

 

              "This is all about the mouth, no hands and don't let him come.  It's about the tongue and pressure, keep the pressure firm but light as you can because the lube is doing the rest..."

 

              "Firm but light pressure got it..."  Emmy breathes

 

              "And then move down the balls and hum..."

 

              "Hum?"  I ask

 

              "Oh my, yeah hum, Jen trust me hum!"

 

              "And then what?"  Daph is almost falling off her seat and Mel is bug eyed with fascination.

 

              "Get him onto his knees and start rimming with the same technique." 

 

              "Faal likes rimming!"  Emmy squeaks.

 

              "Yep." She shrugs simply.

 

              "And then what?" 

 

They all turn to look at me.

 

              "Then what?!  After that he explodes and worships you like the God/Goddess that you are.  Of course!"  Emmy replies.

 

              "So um, does this uh..."  Daph asks shyly.

 

              "Oh yeah.  Why do you think he has a Brietling?  I just say Brietling and he's mine." 

 

              "You told Justin and Hunter that in that shorter time?"  I ask.

 

              "Nope.  With Matt I told Hunter to buy some popping candy and some stimulating lube and to tell Matt that's what he got - he got drunk one night and overshared with us.  And with Justin I told him that Brian wants a cast of him for his wedding night..."

 

              "A cast of...oh!  He doesn't!  Does he?"  Daph shrieks giggling

 

She grins again.

 

              "Nope."

 

              "You are so bad."  I chortle.

 

BRITIN

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

JUSTIN

 

              "Oh fuck!  Too good!  Oh God!  Brian!  Brian!  Need t-t-to!  Please!  Oh!  Please!  Oh!  Oh!  Umm!  I-I-I oh!"

 

I'm sweat drenched, he's been edging me for the last hour, my head is thrashing my back bowing and I am trying not to rip his hair out.

 

              "Come now."  He looks up with lust blown eyes before swallowing me down again

 

              "Oh God oh God!"  I scream as I explode down his throat.

 

BROWNSTONE

 

MEL

 

I'm still buzzing from that conversation in the car. I think Daphne was taking mental notes. 

 

              "Where the hell have you been?"  Lindz demands

 

              "I told you I went to have my fittings and then I was sur-surprised by a dinner."

 

I head to the fridge and get some water.

 

              "Are you drunk?" 

 

              "Nope.  Just a little bit tipsy, yeah tipsy." 

 

I head to the lounge and flop on the sofa. 

 

              "So you went to dinner, do you know where the kids are?  Are they still with Deb and Carl?"

 

              "Um they went to Britin."  I reply taking a deep drink of my water

 

I watch her entire demeanour change.

 

              "What are they doing there and how do you know that?"  She demands.

 

              "As I said I was surprised by dinner.  Turns out that Brian and Justin wanted the wedding party to test restaurants..."

 

              "You're not in the wedding party..."  She interrupts.

 

              "I know that, which is what I said but to no avail...anyway, we went to Avenue B with the wedding party and..."

 

              "Avenue B?  With who?"

 

              "Brian, Justin, Ted, Hunter, Gus, Jenny, Ben, Faal, Jennifer, Emmy Lou, Daph and Zee oh and also Vince and Leda."

 

              "I don't understand how you get from your fittings to Avenue B."  She is starting to sound shrill.

 

              "Well when I got in the car earlier, Emmy Lou, Jennifer, Daph and Zee were in there.  We did fittings, lovely very lovely champagne, for five fucking hours, did I mention Daph was there, before Zee drags us to Avenue B where they were waiting and Jenny is playing matchmaker...and the food oh my God the food I was allowed a vote..."

 

              "What do they have to do with your fittings?"  Her tone is beginning to piss me off.

 

I finish off my water and look at her hard.

 

              "I mentioned to Emmy Lou about the fittings, seems he mentioned it to Zee and because Daphne is going home this weekend they decided it would be a good time to start the wedding outfits shopping.  And before you ask, no I didn't know that Leda was going to be there.  Now I am going to bed.  Oh actually before I do, did you manage to find out what was with Emily at your party?"

 

              "I would prefer it if you didn't mention that debacle.  But no I haven't heard back from her and won't for a couple of weeks as she's away.  Francine said it's between Emily and I and she's not going to get involved."

 

With that she crosses her arms across her chest and glowers at me.

 

              "You're spending way too much time with Michael."

 

I head up to bed thinking of my outfits and how good that coat is going to look on Monday morning, never have I prayed so much for a cold day.

 

SHADYSIDE - THURSDAY MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

I have just about recovered from the shock of Blake, fucking Blake, owning my comic book store.  Like that twink knows anything about comics!  I was so upset when I found out that I had to cancel my broker appointment but I'm fully prepared for it now and it was a lie to Ted about checking on TalonMotor but there is no need...I have the documents he printed after all, although it took a while to find them.  I can't wait to shove that in David's face.

 

STEIN INTERNATIONAL BROKERAGE FIRM

 

MICHAEL

 

              "Good morning, I have a meeting with Christopher Wells, please tell him it is Michael Novotny Bruckner."

 

              "Of course sir, please have a seat."

 

I take a seat on the sofa and think that the bitches at Kinnetic could learn a thing or two from that lady.

 

              "Mr Novotny Bruckner?  Christopher Wells, pleased to meet you, please follow me."

 

We enter his offices and he indicates I should have a seat opposite him.

 

              "So you've had these shares since 2001/2002 I believe?"

 

              "I don't have the certificates, I have an account book and I have documentation that shows they were invested in TalonMotor government bonds."

 

I start to play the scenario on my head when I tell David that I am keeping all the money as he can't prove that his kid gave me financial advice.

 

              "Mr Novotny Bruckner.  Mr Novotny Bruckner..."

 

              "Sorry, you were saying?"

 

              "I was saying to tell those dicks at Mayflower nice try but not good enough."

 

              "Mayflower?" 

 

              "I have to admit I was completely taken in.  Your naiveté was most convincing, you even looked like you were spending the money in your head.  Who was it, who sent you?"

 

              "I don't understand."

 

              "You can drop the act now..."

 

              "What are you talking about, I want to know how much these shares are worth and I was told you were one of the best clearly they were wrong!  I shall take my business elsewhere, was it Mayflower you mentioned?"

 

I stand up swiftly and stalk to the door.

 

              "You're serious?"

 

              "Why wouldn't I be?"  I demand.

 

              "Because they aren't real."

 

              "What isn't real?"

 

              "TalonMotor is not real, there isn't a government bond called that and there never has been.  A simple google search would've told you that.  And if I am right this TalonMotor is an anagram, which google can also help you with.  Let me show you out Mr Novotny Bruckner."

 

As I leave the building, I hear him starting to laugh, David and his brat of a son will pay for this they will pay.

 

DEB & CARL'S

 

DEB

 

              "Hi honey, come in come in.  What a pleasant surprise..."

 

My voice trails off when I take in Faal's face.

 

              "She told me to leave it, but I can't..."

 

I gesture to the sofa and we sit down, taking his hand I give it a squeeze.

 

              "Let me have it." 

 

              "Debs, we love you, but you hurt one of the most important people in my life.  I know you didn't mean it and we have forgiven you but that will only happen once.  Please don't come at her like that again as we don't want to lose you."

 

I feel tears prickle in my eyes and I nod.

 

              "Not as bad as I thought."  I sniff.

 

He beams a smile at me and pulls me into a hug.

 

              "We are good yes?" 

 

I nod and hug him back.

 

              "Yes.  Now come my boy and walk me to the diner, have a shift to start."

 

SHADYSIDE

 

MICHAEL

 

              "Lindz it's me.  How am I, how am I?!  I am humiliated that's what I am!  I discovered that that brat of David's played me for a fool, actually according to Google, he played me for a Total Moron!"

 

By the time I finish I can hear the laughter in her voice, which she is struggling to contain.

 

              "It's not funny Lindz.  That's twice that family have stolen money from me!  What do you mean they haven't stolen it of course they have!  I am calm!  Sorry I don't mean to shout and on top of that guess who now owns my comic book store, you won't believe it but its Blake.  Yep the former crystal queen is now running my store jointly with Brian and Justin!"

 

BROWNSTONE

 

LINDZ

 

              "Michael please calm down.  This is done unless you can raise the capital to buy it back off him there is nothing you can do about it.  The most important thing for you right now is getting back in Brian's good graces isn't it?  Once you're back in your rightful place as his best friend then like I said all will be right in the world.  Now, what time are you collecting Jenny on Sunday?"

 

Once I hang up I can't stop laughing, I have to tell Mel.  I find her in the dining room with papers spread about.

 

              "Mel you are not going to believe what that Hank kid did to Michael."

 

She looks up at me curiously.

 

              "What Hank kid?"

 

              "David's son, well apparently..."

 

As I finish telling she isn't thinking this is as funny as I thought it was. 

 

              "Oh come on Mel it is funny!"

 

Before she can answer the doorbell goes and when I open it there are two delivery trucks.

 

              "Melanie Marcus?"

 

              "No, hang on.  Mel!" 

 

She comes out and starts beaming, waving them through she heads to a door by the kitchen.

 

              "We have a basement?"  I'm astonished.

 

              "Yep it's a walk in closet space.  Please bring them down here."  She calls to the delivery men.

 

After 30 minutes they have finally left and we are surrounded by suit bags and shoe boxes from Gucci and Prada and boxes from Manolo and Louboutin. 

 

              "Wow when you said the whole collection you weren't kidding.  You got Gucci and Prada shoes as well?  Why do you need Manolo and Louboutin?"

 

              "You've met Brian, label queen remember?"

 

She is beaming and heads back upstairs.

 

              "Aren't you going to take them out?"  I eye them enviously.

 

The space down here is a clothes lover's dream.  Along one wall is just wardrobes, then there is a wall of mirrors, then shelving with a glass frontage for shoes.  The recliner is so comfortable and there is even a fridge, which I should imagine would be stocked with champagne for when he is getting ready to go out.

 

              "Yep will do that later.  They're not going anywhere, I have papers to read.  You coming?"

 

I follow her up and watch as she heads back to the dining room and seems to be searching for something.

 

              "What are you looking for?"

 

              "Oh the Silverman file, it's my first case next week.  So what did Michael want?  Apart from to moan about being taken in by a kid all those years ago."

 

              "Just that he's rambling about still trying to sue David for the first lot of money and now to go after his kid.  Did you know that Blake now owns his store?  Mel are you listening to me?"

 

She whips her head up and sighs.

 

              "Sorry Lindz, you were saying Blake owns his store now.  But it wasn't his store when he missed the payments...and he can't go after David and Hank because he willingly gave them the money as no doubt every attorney in the Pennsylvania area has told him, well not about Hank but he would be stupid to go after a kid.  And speaking of going after, have you talked to Emmy Lou?"

 

              "No I haven't talked to Emmett.  Since when do you call him Emmy Lou, it used to be Em."

 

              "Since..."

 

              "Zee started to call him that I suppose, I never had you down as a sheep Mel, thought you would carve your own path."

 

She looks at me with narrowed eyes.

 

              "I do carve my own path and I fully intend to keep doing that.  And it was Brian who started to call him Emmy Lou not Zee.  You had best get in Emmy Lou's good books pretty quickly or you'll..."

 

              "Don't be ridiculous, there's..."

 

              "You know you do that all the time.  It's your little tell."

 

              "My...look let's not fight it's our last week of freedom before we join the masses, so what say we go and have a look at your clothes and..."

 

              "What did the galleries say?"

 

I'm momentarily thrown by the abrupt change in conversation.

 

              "Galleries?"  I stammer.

 

              "Yes you said you were going to look round today.  That's what you were doing all day right?"

 

              "Yes I was.  I have an appointment with Sydney next week." 

 

              "And the school.  Did Michael mention anything about that?  I'm not sure for the first week that this is a good idea still."

 

              "He's coming around about eight on Sunday to collect her."

 

She pulls of her glasses and rubs her face tiredly and picks up her phone.

 

              "Michael its Mel.  Look about next week, can you pick up Jenny earlier than eight on Sunday, by the time you guys get home it will be almost nine and then she will have to unpack and stuff.  Okay, how about you come for lunch on Sunday and go after that, perfect say about one?  Great perfect, see you then."

 

I gape at her in fury.

 

              "Michael and I agreed a time, why did you undermine me like that?"  I snap

 

              "I didn't undermine you, I applied common sense.  And that's another tell of yours."

 

With that she gathers up her files and leaves me standing there angry and confused...what the fuck is this tell she's talking about.

 

FRIDAY LUNCHTIME

 

BRITIN

 

JUSTIN

 

              "Shit!"  I shout and throw my phone at the sofa.  "I don't fucking believe this!"

 

Brian comes in and heads to the cart pouring a generous amount of beam in to a glass and takes a seat on the sofa with his legs open, he waits for me to stop pacing and waving my arms about muttering dark thoughts about gallery owners.  I plop between his legs and take a huge swig.

 

              "Problem?"  He murmurs wrapping his arms round me.

 

              "Problem!  I'll say there's a fucking..."

 

              "Justin."  He warns quietly.

 

              "Sorry.   That was the Fienman Gallery.   They were supposed to do my show at the end of the month.  Well they've had a fire and there is no way it will be fixed by then.  So now I have to find somewhere to host my show in less than 4 weeks!"

 

              "Isn't that what your agent is for, she sorts these things out?"

 

              "Yes but..."

 

              "Call her and explain and let her sort it out.  Then you concentrate on your art and thanking your lucky stars that none of your works were in that gallery."

 

I turn round in his arms and kiss him softly before his hands tangle in my hair and he deepens the kiss.

 

              "Call her quickly so that you can thank me slowly for my suggestion."  

 

He murmurs waggling his eyebrows and grinning.

 

DINER

 

DEBS

 

              "Hi Michael how are you today?"

 

He looks at me and shrugs his shoulders.

 

              "Now what's wrong?  You've got Jenny coming up next week and yet you look like your world is ending."

 

              "Blake owns my store for a start."

 

I sit down and mentally grind my teeth.

 

              "And whose fault is that?"

 

              "Ted's or most likely Justin's!  You know how twinks are.  And it turns out that the money I thought I had invested in..."

 

              "Not this thing about David again..."

 

              "No his kid.  He tricked me into giving him a thousand dollars to invest in some stock, which doesn't exist..."

 

I try to bite back my smile, when Carl told me about that I had to admire the kid's ingenuity.

 

              "What's so funny?"  He demands

 

              "Oh nothing continue your lament."  I snark, which of course goes straight by him.

 

              "Thank you.  And I still have to pay back the loan on the store, can you believe they are forcing me to do that?"

 

              "What did you expect them to do, just take the store and say let's call it quits?" 

 

              "I expect to be treated fairly, after all I've done for him.  Like Lindz says this is just jealousy on Justin's part..."

 

Luckily for him my response was curtailed by my order being called. 

 

All he's done for him, all he's done for him I think angrily.  And what was he about to say about Jack that night, if Alice hadn't got there?  And what stupidity is Lindz filling his head with now?  

 

I sit back down and take a deep breath.

 

              "Michael, Justin is not jealous of you he has no reason to be.  It's you who is jealous of him because he's second in Brian's life now."

 

He scoffs and takes a sip of his coffee.

 

              "Second.  So who's first then, has Zee or Faal replaced him?"

 

              "No Gus is first and has always been first.  You know like Jenny should be to you and Ben should've been second but you fucked that up big time!  Get your head out of your ass and start behaving like a father.  The amount of tears that girl has cried over your treatment of her is shameful!"

 

I snap and head back to the counter.

 

MICHAEL

 

I'm shocked by her outburst and quickly finish my coffee and leave without a word.  I'm a good father, I pay my share of the support and want what's best for her just because I can't afford to spend money like they can doesn't make me a bad father.

 

As I make my way past the store I spot Jenny inside.

 

              "Hey Honeybun what are you doing in here?" 

 

              "Oh hi dad, I'm swapping this for some cash so that I can get some more roller derby kit."

 

She's holding the Wonder Woman action figure I gave her.

 

              "But I gave that to you for Christmas."

 

She bites her lip and blushes.

 

              "I know and I said thank you but it's not something that I'm interested in or want..."

 

              "But it will increase in value the longer you keep it."  I argue

 

She sighs and takes a deep breath.

 

              "Dad didn't you hear what I said.  I'm not interested in it, I don't want it so I'm selling it to someone who does and they are going to offer me a good price for it."

 

Stuart comes out from the back.

 

              "You're back again sir.  Just one moment I will be with you shortly.  Now where were we Miss?  Ah yes I have a buyer for this, I'm willing to offer you, $400 for it.  Is that acceptable?"

 

She turns and looks at me.

 

              "Sorry dad.  Yes that's great thanks, would it be cash or check?" 

 

              "We can either do check or a bank transfer.  Which would you prefer?"

 

              "Excuse me, can you transfer the money to me?"  I ask him.  "I'm her father and can give it to her directly."

 

              "Actually, dad, I would like a check please.  Made out to Jennifer Rebecca Marcus-Peterson thanks."

 

We wait in silence as he completes the transaction and we head outside.

 

              "You're not mad are you?"  She asks quietly.

 

              "Just a little hurt that you would sell something I gave to you." 

 

              "Sorry you feel that way but you can come with me so I can show you the roller derby stuff so you can know what to get next time?"

 

              "Yeah, I'd like that."

 

UPTOWN GALLERY

 

HUNTER

 

Well here goes nothing.

 

              "Uh Lydia you got a minute?"

 

She looks up from the painting she's authenticating in relief.

 

              "Yes, absolutely!  What can I do for you?  Have a seat."

 

              "You know the artist Justin Taylor..."

 

              "Uh yes Hunter I do..."  She chuckles and I blush.

 

              "Sorry stupid question.  But you know he has or had a gallery showing at the Fienman Gallery but there's been a fire?  Well maybe we could host it for him?  He's really keen to do the showing and we've got the space and the availability for it..."

 

              "I have to admire your enthusiasm Hunter, but even with all these things we have, he won't do a showing here in a million years."

 

              "He will if I tell him you're happy to host..."

 

              "You tell him?  Do you know Justin Taylor personally?"  She is staring incredulously at me.

 

              "Yeah, I'm going to be an usher at his wedding.  He's the fiancé of my best friend's father.  So I can tell him you..."

 

              "Yes!  Yes you can tell him of course you fucking can!  Sorry for the language!  Hunter you are full of surprises!"

 

              "Did you know you had two of his works in the basement?  I didn't know they were his until I saw the slides at lunch...Lydia, you okay?" 

 

              "W-water."  She stammers and after taking a deep draught clears her throat.  "Which ones?  I would've known if there was a Justin Taylor in here let alone two!"

 

              "Oh they were under "unnamed artist", it was Lust and Kiss...found them when I was cataloguing, he thought he had lost them after his former agent died and the paperwork was lost.  Shit Lydia!  Someone get an ambulance!"

 

I scream and try to get Lydia to come round from the dead faint she's slumped into.  Less than 10 minutes later she's coming round just in time for the ambulance to turn up and after checking her over they agree that she doesn't need to go to hospital.

 

              "Clearly, I got too close to the painting.  Because I had a lovely thought that you told me you know Justin Taylor personally and that he could be doing his showing in this gallery..."

 

              "Promise not to faint again?"  I look worriedly at her.

 

              "Not a dream?"

 

              "Nope."

 

              "Oh fuck!"  She gasps and then starts to laugh.  "Okay friend of Justin Taylor get cracking, you're hosting it."

 

              "Me but I..."

 

              "Hunter, call him now and see if you can persuade him to put Lust and Kiss in there as well."

 

I dial his number and put him on speaker.

 

              "Hi Justin it's me Hunter.

 

              "Hey Hunter dude what's up?"

 

              "I just wondered if you had got somewhere for your showing yet?"

 

              "Nope still working on it, though looks like we will have to postpone it.  Why you thinking of offering me your gallery..."

 

              "Uh yeah actually we are.  I have spoken to Lydia and she would love to host it so what do you say?"

 

              "Yes!  I say fuck yes!  Can I speak to her?"

 

              "Mr Taylor, I'm right here, so let's talk about your show..."

 

              "Oh sorry about the swearing, I'm just so relieved that I don't have to postpone it!"

 

              "Us too!"

 

BRITIN

 

JUSTIN

 

I hear the door go and judging by the happy meow, it's Brian.  I run to him and leap into his arms, luckily he caught me as I pepper his face with kisses.

 

              "Not that I'm not pleased with this welcome but why?"

 

              "I can do my show at the end of the month in the Uptown Gallery..."

 

I slither down his body.

 

              "Isn't that where Hunter works?"

 

I nod pulling him by his belt into the sitting room and pushing him onto the sofa.

 

              "At least let me get my coat off...mmmph"

 

I explore every crevice in his mouth and then suck gently on his bottom lip as I reluctantly break the kiss.

 

              "Yep so he's going to be helping me sort out the ones I want to show and there is one more thing..."

 

              "They want Lust and Kiss?"  He surmises.

 

              "Yeah, I said that if you said no then I wouldn't put them in..."

 

              "If you're happy then I'm happy.  Now get up you're crushing my Prada"

 

              "Though I know someone who's not going to be happy."

 

              "Not your problem Sunshine, where would she host it?"

 

SATURDAY MORNING

 

BRITIN

 

DAPH

 

I am so sad to be going home today.  I've had a great time and not only that, we are wearing Prada to the rehearsal dinner, I was a bit bummed that I had to leave it behind though.  I did have to chuckle at Jenny's attempt at matchmaking it was very sweet and when she announced that the prize we won in the pedicure contest was a dinner cooked by her when I'm next down my heart melted a little.

 

Vince is waiting for me in the garage.  I told Justin to not come to the airport as he needs to concentrate on his showing and made Brian promise to keep him in his studio.  Alice and George have been said goodbye to and it's really time for me to go, I tickle Lilah behind her ears and head to the garage.

 

He really is a beautiful man, built a bit like Faal but with dark brown hair and grey eyes.

 

              "Okay Miss Daphne are you ready to go?"

 

              "Miss Daphne, shut up you!  Now remember to text dates for our pedicure prize dinner and...actually I'm here for his showing at the end of the month so we can do it then."

 

              "Oh okay that should work.  So you got everything?"

 

I nod and look up at him, he's just standing there looking oh so adorable.

 

              "Hold on a minute I forgot something."

 

              "What's that?"

 

              "To ask you to kiss me."

 

He pulls me into his arms, swoops down and I'm lost, when we break apart we both look stunned.

 

              "Jenny will be pleased."  I murmur.

 

              "Yep.  And she's not the only one."

 

SHADYSIDE

 

MICHAEL

 

I had a good time with Jenny I suppose, I'm still hurt about her selling the figure but what's done is done as she said.  I don't think she should be doing roller derby from what I have seen of it, it's incredibly violent, I think us as parents need to persuade her to do something a little less physical.

 

I've double checked the room and all seems in order, time to go to lunch and collect my Honeybun.

 

MONDAY MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

              "Dad!  Dad wake up!  You have to take me to school.  It's my first day and I don't want to be late!"

 

I open my eyes and look at Jenny who is hopping from foot to foot

 

              "Okay let's go first day of school!  Go get in the shower."  I tell her.

 

I prepare her breakfast whilst she showers and we are out the door only 10 minutes late, but we end up caught in traffic, which makes us 25 minutes late.   They let her off the tardy for her first offence.  I had forgotten to do her packed lunch the night before so ended up giving her money for lunch instead.  I find out that my name isn't on the list of approved contacts so had to get myself added, once we called Lindz to come down to the school to sort that out.  I try not to snark at Lindz as Ben's name was on there already.  Traffic was a nightmare on the way to collect her and I ended up being 40 minutes late although Gus waited with her.  He rolled his eyes when I eventually get there muttering about people not having anything to do could've left a lot earlier. 

 

Tuesday starts out a lot better, we leave on time and she has her packed lunch, but still she's late and this time she does get a tardy slip and although I left earlier I was still 30 minutes late to collect her.

 

Wednesday was a total disaster.  The car broke down and she ended up being an hour late, despite explaining the car they weren't going to let her off the slip and in her haste to get into class she left her lunch and so she ended up sharing Gus's and then spending the night at the Brownstone as I couldn't get there to pick her up.  Unfortunately, that meant her books for Thursday were still at mine so Ben had to drive to mine to collect her books so that he could bring them back for her so that she could be prepared for Thursday. 

 

Thursday would've been a great day if I had looked properly at the schedule and as well as the books had given him her kit for gym class and she had to borrow some kit, which made her unhappy.  The car was finally fixed on Thursday afternoon but I had to be out of town and so she had to take the bus, which she was fine with except as well as not giving him the kit I also forgot to give him the key so she had to call her momma as Lindz's parents were also out of town, but she was in an interview and she ended up calling Ben who insisted she stay the night. 

 

When I got home late Thursday evening, Mel and Ben were waiting for me. 

 

              "Michael this is not working, I've had calls from the school about lateness and homework not being handed over on time.  How could you forget to give her the key to the house, that should've been the first thing you give her?!"  Mel demanded.

 

              "Look it just happened the once with the key!"  I snap.

 

              "It shouldn't have happened at all!  When I got here she was freezing and hungry.  She looks exhausted Michael, this is just not fair on her.  I know you meant well and tried but she's not staying here tonight, please gather her things.  I'll take her in tomorrow."  Ben tells me.

 

              "Now just a minute...."  I bridle.

 

              "No Michael, Ben's right this is not working.  You gave it your best shot but staying here and going to school where she does, just doesn't work..."

 

              "How about we ask Jenny how she feels about this!"  I snap.  "We were bonding as father and daughter and you're just jealous Ben that this is happening, so you want to take it away from me!"

 

              "Why would I be jealous about that?  Jenny and I have a great relationship.  I'm glad that you are reconnecting but this is about Jenny's welfare and her education.  You can bond over the weekend but she is not staying here tonight."

 

              "She's my daughter Ben, she is staying here tonight.  I will follow you back to collect her." 

 

I tell him firmly folding my arms across my chest.

 

              "No.  No you will not.  She's most likely in bed by now.  She is staying with me or I will drop her at the Brownstone but you are getting her stuff now." 

 

              "I'll get her stuff, won't be long."  Mel's voice breaks through our stand-off.

 

Twenty minutes later, they are gone and I'm standing there in stunned silence as they drive away.  My mind goes into overdrive.  Who the hell does he think he is, he's not even her biological father!  He's not anything.  I flick through my post and there is yet another letter from his attorney, well that can wait for a start, I will deal with that when I am ready not when he is.

 

FRIDAY EVENING

 

TREEHOUSE

 

MATT

 

              "We can't ignore it, its right there for fuck sake!" 

 

              "I know!  And stop yelling at me, I'm not the one sucking face!  We have to speak to Jenny about this but how..."  Hunter is pacing and chewing on his lip.

 

              "I always find that English works perfectly well."  Mom drawls making us jump

 

We look at each other, each willing the other to speak. 

 

              "Okay whatever it is, bring it down and let's talk in the lounge yeah?"

 

She head downstairs and when we get there with the laptop, she's curled up next to dad and they have wine, and have poured lite beers for us.

 

              "Out with it.  I have things to do that do not involve teenage angst."  Dad prompts.

 

              "As you know we are trying to put together all the videos of the New Year's Eve party..."

 

              "Yes and..."

 

              "Little tip, they speak you listen time goes faster."  Mom pokes him in the stomach.

 

              "So, um, we spotted this."  Hunter turns the laptop towards them and dad's eyes widen

 

              "Oh dear God."  Dad mutters.

 

              "Christ."  Mom breathes.  "From the back that looks like..."

 

              "J, yeah it is...it's who she's kissing that's the problem."  Hunter mutters.

 

              "Ten gets you twenty that it's going to be Hank Cameron."  Mom groans.

 

              "Yeah.  How'd you know that?"  I ask.

 

              "Lucky guess.  Well my advice is to say nothing to Jenny about it, it will only embarrass her and try to remove it from the video or blur it out a bit.  Who did you get this segment from?"  Mom asks.

 

              "Tag, one of our friends.  I don't think she sent it because of that, it was most likely because of the clear shot of the pool table and the perfect pot I made."  Hunter replies bragging slightly.

 

              "Hang on, why did you say it was ‘the problem' Hunter?"  Dad asks.

 

              "Well since they aren't together anymore, they've not been on the best of terms.  So I figure if dear ole dad sees or hears about this he's going to react in his usual calm and rational way and not remotely alienate J at all by opening his mouth and inserting his entire body."

 

We raises our glasses to sarcasm and we head back upstairs.

 

FAAL

 

              "Fuck what are we going to do?"

 

              "Methinks a heads up to Mel is called for."  She replies and picks up her phone.

 

BROWNSTONE

 

MEL

 

I have had an excellent week, well except the problems with Jenny's school.  I told them this was not going to work and I was proved right.  Poor Jenny has been playing catch up with her homework and is majorly pissed that her perfect attendance record has been marred, she was never late in Toronto.

 

I hear Lindz coming in and she has champagne.

 

              "Ooh what's the occasion?"

 

              "I'm back in Bloom.  In Sydney Bloom's Gallery as of Monday."

 

              "Wow that's great.  Let's get that opened.  Congratulations!"

 

              "How did you case go?"

 

              "Chase, Harold and Draper 1 Fox Williams zero!  Okay it's a temporary zero as we have a postponement but that counts in our favour."

 

She opens the bottle and grabs the glasses and pours.

 

              "Oooh a bit warm.  Hang on." 

 

I tell her and take the glasses and put them it them in the freezer and grab some ice and pour it into the sink and fill it with water and put the bottle in there.

 

              "A little trick that Emmy Lou taught me."  I tell her.

 

              "I think I will give him a call whilst those are chilling."  She mumbles and heads to the lounge.

 

I knew she would cave if I kept dropping his name enough and besides, if she wants into Britin or the Treehouse she's going to have to apologise to Emmy Lou as he is adored and she is...well not so much.

 

I can hear a buzzing noise and then realise it's my phone.  I'm praying that it's not work as I could really do with an easy weekend, luckily it's Zee.  I put her on speaker so I can prepare something to eat.

 

              "Hey how you doing?"

 

              "All good.  How's you and how was work?  Did you grind them into the ground in Gucci or pound them into the pavement in Prada?"

 

              "Pounded in Prada and Louboutin thank you very much!"  I giggle and test the champagne.

 

              "Listen.  A heads up, I'm sure nothing will come of it.  But it seems that Jenny formed an attachment at the soiree that Lindz held..."

 

              "So she's making more friends..."

 

              "Hank Cameron."

 

              "David's boy?  So she's made friends with him.  Just because Michael and his dad don't get on doesn't mean that they shouldn't be friends with him."

 

When there is silence on the other end, my heart sinks.

 

              "How friendly?"  I groan.

 

              "Very."

 

              "Christ!"

 

              "Exactly.  So thought you would rather be prepared for fallout."

 

              "Thanks for the heads up.  Look we'll talk later okay."  I hang up as Lindz comes back beaming.

 

                "Emmy Lou and I are fine, like I knew we would be.  He just needed to cool off."

 

I roll my eyes at her use of Emmy Lou but say nothing.

 

              "Bubbles?!"  She giggles pulling the glasses out of the freezer.