Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

-The camp settles in for a night at the movies...


 

-The Rangers were brought into one of the halls for their morning activity; a rarity at summer camp. It was a Saturday and the campers all seemed rather tired. It just so happened that it was their lucky day. This morning, they were going to be doing something that was easy peasy, fun and delicious. Brian and Justin didn’t tell their kids what they were doing until they had set up the tables they needed. “Kids, this game is an old one. But I’ll tell ‘ya; it’s fun”, Brian said to the anticipating campers. “Just about everyone I know how ever went to camp has played this.”

 

The counsellors revealed several blocks of chocolate to the group. “It’s called the chocolate game.” That instantly got a good response from the campers. Luckily, none of these campers were allergic or lactose intolerant, so no one had to miss out. “It’s quite simple, really.” Justin tipped some dice out of a plastic bag that held several pairs. He picked two up and explained, “You all take turns rolling a set of dice. When someone rolls two six’s, they get to break a piece of chocolate and eat it.”

 

“My kind of game”, Marcus said, only half joking. The look of love and admiration in his eyes was unmistakable. Who needed romance when you could have chocolate?

 

With a smirk, Brian said, “You keep playing until all the chocolate is gone.” These days, Brian tended to stay away from sweets when possible, but deep down, he did have a sweet tooth. But, he would give his left hand before he’d ever admit that to anyone. Even so, he had always thought this simple little game was fun.

 

It didn’t take long for the campers to sort themselves into groups of 5. Everyone had a table and two blocks of chocolate to themselves. Brian and Justin walked around the set up area, watching the campers play away. It was hilarious every time someone rolled a double 6. Everyone would cheer and the lucky kid would have their go at some chocolaty goodness. As usual, the patrol laughed the whole morning, enjoying the game immensely. It was so simple, but great! A few of the boys mucked around, whacking each other on the butt and poking each other’s sides, but it was all in the name of fun. It was nothing like the mischief The Waterloos got up to. When everyone had finished all the chocolate, the patrol talked about the Sunday Peatree games that would be on tomorrow. It would be the last of the games, as the end of camp was nearing. Everyone had been having such a good time, they felt as if camp had only just started. They did not know where the time had gone.

 

All the patrols had the afternoon after lunch free as there would be a camp activity in the evening. Brian and Justin spent that time in bed without clothes. They were amazed at the new ways they kept finding to drive each other mad with lust and pleasure. The afternoon fun had to stop, however, as the boys were expected to help all the counsellors set up for the night. Barely making it on time, the men dashed off to meet all the others when Justin noticed the time. Both men were still sweaty from their last round. Brian didn’t mind at all, of course. Justin, on the other hand, prayed that no one would notice and ask anything embarrassing. He was sure that at least two people gave him an odd look, but Brian just laughed and shrugged it off. He was no help at all. The counsellors took a while setting up the evening, but ended up working together very efficiently. It was time for dinner when they were done and the adults all heading over to the dining hall, where the campers were already waiting.

 

Brian eyed off Ethan during dinner again. The other day, Justin told him that the man had been flirting with him and Brian responded by kissing the life out of the blond, right in front of him. Brian was not at all jealous, and Justin was not his boyfriend, but that Ethan needed to stay away! It seemed to ward the man away, as he hadn’t been looking Justin up and down the way he usually had. Justin seemed to know just what was going on like the know-it-all he was and teased Brian relentlessly over that particular incident. All that blond must have gotten to his brain. There was no way Brian was jealous. He wasn’t even sure he knew what that even felt like. Jealousy was not Brian Kinney’s style…

 

After dinner, daylight was beginning to fade. The counsellors all led their campers over to Camp Base, where they had spent all that time preparing the night’s activity. The campers saw that a large white curtain made of calico had been tied from the top of the stage and stretched out to be flat. There were picnic blankets and some cushions set up and a projector in the middle of the walkway. Once the wonderful Brad and Sally had gotten to the stage, they spoke into their beloved microphone. “Welcome, campers!” They sang together.

 

“We hope you’ve had a lovely day”, Sally told everyone with her big smile.

 

Brad matched her gleaming smile and said, “This evening, we will be hosting a cam tradition here at Camp Peatree. We’ve brought you all here for a do-it-yourself drive-in movie!” This was appealing to all the kids. The ones who had come here before were not surprised, having known what to expect, but all the other campers were very excited. “Now, we’d ask everyone to be courteous and behave tonight, so we can all enjoy the nilly out of ourselves!”

 

“What in the heck does ‘nilly’ mean?” Tyler asked. His fellow campers laughed and the two kids next to him covered his mouth so he wouldn’t get into trouble. The camp owners instructed everyone to settle in and get comfortable, making sure that patrol groups would try to stay relatively close together. Brian and Justin sat on a blanket together, not worrying what anyone might think anymore. They were sure that many people around knew or could guess that there was something between them. If their campers had been able to figure it out, surely other people had as well.

 

It took several minutes, but once everyone was settled in well, Brad and Sally announced that the movie they’d be watching was a classic; ‘Back to the Future I’. It was only right to play an old movie at a drive in, make-shift or not. Most of the campers seemed to think so too, eager for it to begin. Some others complained that it was a movie for old people, but Sally insisted it was one of the greatest films of all time. “We’ll be starting shortly, we just want to wait until it gets dark”, Sally told the camp. “So until then, enjoy!”

 

Some 80s music played from the speakers to fill the time before the movie started. Campers and counsellors chatted away while they waited. Brian put his arm around Justin and the blond relaxed into him. He was glad that they didn’t feel the need to hide themselves. After all, they were friends. Nothing about them was out of the ordinary. They listened to Carrie from The Foxes patrol tell a story about Adam being scared of the flying fox. He was supposed to be the counsellor helping kids on the platform, but they ended up having to switch. “We hadn’t even started, and here’s this fully grown man crying about having to climb a tree”, she said. The boys laughed, picturing Adam in the situation. “The kids gave him crap for it for the rest of the week, the rascals”, she laughed.

 

At that moment, Adam himself turned up. “Hey guys, what are you all talking about?” he asked with his typical enthusiasm.

 

Carrie gave Brian and Justin a wink and said, “Oh, just how great the campers are.”

 

“They sure are!” Adam tried to agree. He so wanted it to be true, but there was something on his face and in his voice, something hidden, that screamed for help. Help against these mean kids. No. He was the adult. Adam would never break down. He would be the man he knew he was. Of course, that was just the moment when two kids from his patrol ran up behind him and pulled his pants down to his knees before speeding off. “Hey!” he called, turning around. He hobbled after the cheeky campers, while trying to pull his pants up.

 

The three adults that were left watched this, laughing at the scene. “There he goes”, Carrie said. “I’d better go help. Those kids can be real dirt bags, ‘ya know?” And with that, she was gone.

 

Justin shook his head and said, “It’s like seeing Charlotte and Carl dealing with us.”

 

Brian nodded with another laugh. “And man, were we dirt bags!” The men sat together comfortably, watching the sun set over Camp Peatree. It was a warm night and there was a good atmosphere.

 

Finally, it was dark enough for the movie to begin. “Okay, campers!” Sally announced. Everyone piped up in anticipation at the sound of her voice. “Here we go!” The woman got Neil to start the projector up and the movie began. The whole camp cheered as it started. In the end, even the kids who whined about being forced to watch and ‘old person’ movie’ enjoyed the night. After a while, some candies and water bottles were passed around so everyone could enjoy some small snacks. Nothing could beat a night like that!

 

Justin rested his head on Brian’s shoulder and the man stroked the blond’s hair. It was such a pleasant way to simply be together. This was something Brian never did. Not even with Mikey. It was almost like he was…cuddling. Surprisingly to Brian, that didn’t bother him nearly as much as he would have thought. In fact, it was actually nice. As he enjoyed the feeling so soft blond hair in his fingers, Brian recalled the drive-in movie from his time as a camper. From his cosy spot, Justin found himself doing the same…      

 


 

FLASHBACK- Summer, 2000

 

A distant sound of cheering filled the summer night air. Justin sighed and dug the stick he was holding into the dirt in front of him. He was sitting out the front of his cabin all alone and bored out of his mind. “This bites”, he said to himself, really because there was no one else around to talk to. While all the others were getting to enjoy a movie, he was forced to sit out by himself. The only joy he got out of the night was the fact that Kinney was also condemned to the same cruel fate. The campers had been told they were to attend a camp-made drive-in movie the previous day, but Justin Taylor and Brian Kinney were pulled aside by their counsellors and told they would have to sit out. The reason; repeated bad behaviour. Justin thought it was absolutely ridiculous. Sure, he was acting up a little, but it was only ever to get back at Kinney for being an asshole. Why should he be punished for another jerk’s crimes? It was also no secret that Brian’s buddies were just as mischievous as he was, so why was it fair that they still got to go to the drive in? Justin knew better than to sit and sulk, but he figured that if no one was around, he was safe to do so.

 

A rustling sound interrupted Justin’s grumpy thoughts for a moment. He looked around for a moment and shrugged when he decided it was nothing. He got right back to poking his stick at the ground when he heard another rustling sound. Justin sat up straighter and called out, “Is anyone there?” There was no answer, but there was another rustling noise. “Hello?” Justin asked, a frown creasing his forehead. He wasn’t scared. He was not scared. Alright, maybe he was a little scared. If who or what ever that noise was would just damn well reveal itself, everything would be perfectly fine.

 

Right when Justin was about to go racing back inside his cabin, none other than Brian Kinney jumped out behind the boy, grabbing him and shouting, “Boo!”

 

Justin yelled, startled and scrambled to get away from the unwelcomed and most certainly uninvited guest. “Jesus”, he breathed, looking at the laughing boy. Brian had keeled over with laughter, aimed at him. It pissed Justin off even more that Brian just so happened to look kind of cute when he laughed. But only kind of. “You’re a jerk, you know that?” Justin was now standing on the grass just in front of his cabin’s steps.

 

Brian pulled a proud expression and propped his head up in his hand. He was on his side, looking over at Justin. “So they tell me.”

 

Justin gave the boy a fake laugh and asked, “Did you need something?”

 

“Why would you think I needed something?” Brian asked back. He sat up straight and tried at act nonchalant. Obviously, there was something up. That familiar gleam of mischief was in Brian’s eyes. It was like he knew something that nobody else did. That he had all the answers to every question in the world. By now, Justin knew it was mostly just a front, but it was still ever present in the brunet’s expression.

 

“Pardon. Let me rephrase”, Justin said with a fake politeness that only WASP mothers and southerners had seemed to perfect. Justin had listened to his dear old grandmother jabbering on about something overdramatic enough times to be able to mimic the tone. “What the fuck are you doing here?”

 

“Well, that’s no way to speak to a guest, now is it?” Brian said with fake charm.

 

Justin wasn’t going to play Brian’s games anymore. He had let the big bully get him into enough trouble already. “Brian, just tell me what you want”, he said seriously.

 

This seemed to be enough to get Brian to stop acting like a 12 year old for a short while. Justin wondered how long it’d last. Meanwhile, Brian decided it was only fair for him to give blondie a little break that night. “Alright, alright”, he said in surrender. “I only came here to tell you that I found a way we can still watch the movie without getting caught, that’s all.”

 

“Really?” Justin asked slowly, unsure of whether or not he should believe Brian.

 

Gone was that look in Brian’s eyes, replaced with a sober expression he rarely saw on the boy’s face. “Really”, Brian responded. He stood up and walked down the cabin steps as he spoke, “I’m gonna go check it out. So I thought you might too.”

 

Justin looked at Brian thoughtfully for a moment. He didn’t look like he was kidding or teasing or planning. It was almost unnatural how genuine Brian seemed to be behaving. “Okay…” Justin said, watching a smirk appear on Brian’s face. It was dangerously handsome. “How did you manage to figure this out?”

 

Brian shrugged and gestured towards himself. “Do you really have to ask?”

 

“I suppose not”, Justin chuckled. Of course a troublemaker would find a way to break the rules. That’s what got them both in the shit in the first place. Brian smiled again, turned around and began walking. Justin couldn’t help but smile in response to Brian’s own and walked after him. He still wasn’t sure what Brian was up to, but he figured it was better than poking a stick at the ground. “What are they showing?” Justin asked after deciding that silence was too weird around his usual nemesis.

 

“Jurassic Park”, Brian told him as he walked.

 

That put a smile on Justin’s face. “No shit”, he said. “I love that movie!”

 

“You got good taste”, Brian said, giving the boy another smile. It was weird. Brian was never this nice to him. Justin supposed that he’d go right back to his usual asshole self the very next day, and all would be right in the world again. The boys walked around for a bit, with Brian leading Justin through a few spots he’d never passed before. He guessed this wasn’t the first time Brian had snuck around the campsite. “This way”, Brian said. The sound of the movie got closer. Justin could tell that it was only about 10 minutes in, so they hadn’t missed much. Brian had brought him to a spot close enough so that they could still see the film, but far enough away so that no one would notice them if they looked back. “Here”, Brian told him, pulling him to sit down next to him.

 

Justin looked at Brian in brief wonderment, before diverting his attention to the screen. For once, Justin found himself feeling grateful for Brian Kinney. He had saved him from having to spend the evening bored and alone. He may be a mega-ass, but apparently that didn’t mean he couldn’t be an alright guy sometimes. Even more unusual; Justin actually really enjoyed being in Brian’s company that night. They watched the movie together comfortably, laughing between themselves that Charlotte and Carl weren’t going to get the best of them that night. “It’ll take a lot more than banning a professional gate-crasher to stop me”, Brian joked. And Justin believed him.

 

TO BE CONTINUED…         

 

Chapter End Notes:


Thur you go, another one

I love to read your thoughts, so keep sending them :)

xoxo