Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

-It's the Sunday Peatree Games and all the boys and girls compete for points!


 

-

It was Sunday! And that meant that it was the first ever day of The Sunday Peatree Games for the summer of 2010! The people at Camp Peatree were all summoned by a trumpet to rise and shine bright and early. The counsellors of The Rangers agreed that the trumpet was an unnecessary touch. The entire camp had to bring out and set up all the needed equipment for the day before they could begin. There was quite a lot of chaos, with kids running around everywhere, carrying and moving all sorts of things here and there. By the time it was done, many people; campers and counsellors, were already puffed out. Brad and Sally saw to that. They gave everyone a couple minutes to rest and then led the entire camp through a group warm up. In true Brad and Sally fashion, the warm up was overtly enthusiastic, providing some unintended but welcomed comic relief to the morning. “Hope everyone’s excited! Because things are about to heat up! We are gonna be hot, hot, hot! Hotter than a burnt out muffler.” Brad said. Brian had to bite back his laughter at the unintended innuendo. He wasn’t the only one. He noticed several other counsellors struggling not to choke out any laughter of their own. They were all very mature. All grown ups are mature.  

 

The summer heat was just beginning to set in for the morning and it was sure to get hotter from there. Sweat had already been shed. When the warm up was finished, the camp owners announced which events would be held where and when. “Have a terrific day, campers!” exclaimed Sally with a cheer. She Brad had explained that there would be a score board and that each patrol would gain points when their campers did well in an event. Some special awards would be given out at the end of the day.  

 

Afterwards, Brian and Justin gathered their Rangers for a group huddle and pep talk. “Who’s ready for today?” Justin asked their kids.

 

Their campers nodded at them, beaming despite the work out they’d already been subjected to. “Me!”

 

“Great!” Justin responded, genuinely excited for his campers. “And even if you’re nervous”, he gave Lane and Yu-Jin a wink before continuing, “You are all going to be amazing today.”

 

Brian nodded, his arms crossed over in a coach like style. “Remember, it’s not about whether or not you win. It’s about doing your best. Do it for fun. Do it for the team. And maybe try to win if you can.” The end remark was said in a slightly higher pitch and spoken faster than the rest of the speech. It made all the campers around him laugh. Justin smiled with them.

 

“That’s right”, the blond said, sounding very determined in a joking manner. “Work as a team. Even if your event is a solo one.”

 

“Now you Rangers are gonna get out there and you are gonna kick some a-uh, butt!” Brian yelled encouragingly. He was still getting the hang of toning down his language.

 

He managed to vamp up the kids, because they all seemed to be even more excited to take part in the massive day ahead of them. They all exchanged high-fives, hugs and well wishes and then headed over to where they were supposed to be. The first event of the day was the younger kids doing a potato sack race! It was hilarious to see the kids partake in this silly activity very seriously determined to win. A little girl won the first race and several more of these races followed. When the Rangers participated in this activity, Sam won the race he was in, Tyler came third in his, and Sean came second in his. The whole patrol was very proud of their efforts. The older campers were funny to watch; some of them made no attempt to hide the fact that they thought this was stupid, while others laughed jovially the whole way.

 

A series of events were held, in which the Rangers did their very best. Hawnai came second in high jump and third in long jump. The group, along with Brian and Justin cheered her on as she did them proud. Lane fell over when doing hurdles, but got right up, took a bow and continued on. “Woo! That’s it, Lane!” Justin cheered. He ended up coming dead last, of course, but was still pat on the back and congratulated for his perseverance.

 

The three-legged race turned out to be a debacle. Several kids toppled over each other, some got hurt and others argued. “Maybe Brad and Sally will cross that one off the list”, Emily*, counsellor of the Falcons remarked. The other counsellors with her agreed.

 

Some of the kids sat out for a while to calm down, or to recover from knee gashes and grass-burn. Jacqueline was among one of these kids. Brian impressed Justin by having a nice little chat with her to make sure she was alright. As the days went on, he was showing more and more of his kind side that Justin had pleasantly discovered. “You’re big and tough, okay?” he said to the girl. “Remember that for me, will ya?” Jacqueline giggled and nodded, making Justin smile.  

 

By the time the water balloon toss came around, it was a great relief to all involved. Justin was one of the counsellors in charge of this activity. Many balloons were dropped and others were purposely broken. The cool water was delightful to the heated kids. People laughed all the while, including Justin, who was having just as much fun watching them. It was hard to determine a winner in this activity in any of the age ranges, so instead, points were awarded to which ever pairs held out the longest.

 

Brian led the campers when doing shot put, alongside Stockwell, Carrie** and Martha***, three other counsellors. The adults got along in a comical way considering they were all so different. Duke ended up doing extremely well in this activity. “I am the MAN!” he cheered when he saw his results. The counsellors shook their heads and had a laugh at this.

 

The leader board was constantly updated as kids from different patrols got more and more points. Troian and Sasha gained The Rangers some points with their Javelin skills, surprising the other campers. Those girls were fierce! “Way to go!” Brian and Justin cheered to them. The girls were very proud of themselves.

 

After hours of fun and strenuous activities, it was finally time for the relays. The patrols were sorted into smaller teams of four based on age. The youngest group of Rangers came last in their relay. They were clearly disappointed, making Justin feel for them. The other teams that were made up of the Rangers did better; one came fourth, another came third. The oldest team in the Rangers; made up of Sean, Tyler, Sam and Sorou, came first in their relay race. Next, the winning teams all had to verse each other. It was a massive event that stretched around the entire field. The rest of the Rangers waited anxiously for the race to begin while their racing team prepared. The race stared and they were off! Tyler sprinted for his life while his patrols cheered him on. “You can do it!” the shouted. “Woohoo!” He made it to Sam in record time, who took no time at all running to Sean. “Yeah! Goooo boys!” Sean proved himself to be quite a good runner as he made his way to the last member of their team. Sorou was the best sprinter of them all and dashed at an impressive speed. Some of the older kids were gaining on him, but the boy did not let this stop him. He continued to charge towards the finish line, his sight set on victory. “Gooo Sorou! You’re our man!”

 

Brian and Justin stood close, their shoulders touching. They both held their breath as they watched their camper go. He was so very close. “Come on, kid”, Brian said, engrossed in the event before him. Sorou crossed the finish line just a millisecond before the kid behind him did, claiming victory for the Rangers’ team. “YEAH!” the patrol cheered. Everyone jumped up and down in celebration. As soon as the boy had won, Brian pulled Justin into his arms and delivered a big victorious smooch to his lips. He kept his arm around the shorter man’s shoulders once he’d pulled his mouth away, while Justin stood there, stunned and speechless for a moment. Brian Kinney had Justin kissed him. Of course he knew it meant nothing, but that didn’t make it any less weird. It made his head feel kind of funny. Remembering where he was and what was going on, Justin began to laugh with glee. His campers had done so well that day. He was more proud of them than he could say.

 

“Well, what a race that was”, Brad said over the intercom that had been set up in the morning. “Congratulations to all the runners, and especially to our winners! That’s the way to sow camp spirit!” Of course Brad would find a way to turn a victory lame.   

 

The four boys who had just raced shared celebratory hugs and went back to the rest of their patrol. They were greeted with hugs, high-fives and even a few kisses to the cheek. “You guys did awesome!” they were told. The boys were beaming. Sasha and Marijana gave them all the water they so desperately craved after their enormous race. Their counsellors jogged over to them and gave each boy a hug or pat on the shoulder. “Well done!” exclaimed Justin. “You’re all amazing!”  

 

Brian nodded with a proud smile of his own. “You men killed it out there”, he told them. Each of the young teens appreciated the praise they were given. “You did the Rangers proud.”

 

“Aww”, the girls cooed and the patrol came in for a group huddle.

 

*****

 

An hour and a half later, the camp gathered back on the field. They were given some time to rest before they had to pack away all the equipment. Everyone was tired and hot, but Sally had told them that the faster they do it, the sooner it would be over. She did make some good points. Some medals were sitting on a table that had been set up next to the camp owners. They used a megaphone in place of a microphone. “That was a very fun and eventful day, if I do say so myself”, Brad said over the megaphone. It squeaked, making everyone shudder. “Sorry about that, folks”, he said into it again, making it squeak again. The man fiddled with the thing for several seconds while everyone watched and waited. “Testing, testing”, he said into the device. It was clear this time and Brad and his wife smiled in relief. “There we are.”

 

He gave Sally the megaphone to speak into. “Well done to everyone! Whether you placed or not, that doesn’t matter! What matters is that you showed camp spirit!”

 

“That’s right, Sally”, Brad said, taking back the megaphone. “But, we do have some prizes for those who did place!” It took a while to hand out awards to all the kids who had come first and the different events. Other awards, like best team supporter and such were given as well. Whenever a Ranger received anything, the patrol cheered them on enthusiastically. “And now, it’s time to announce the overall winners of the day!” exclaimed Brad. “Coming in third place with their total score; The Mountaineers!” Cheers and congratulations were given when the counsellors received this award. “In second place; The Rangers!” Brian and Justin happily rose and accepted the award while their patrol cheered loudly. “And in first place, having accumulated the most points of the day; The Roselleas!”

 

“WOOOO!” The patrol cheered. It was one of the older patrols with the 15-17 year olds. Their counsellors, Perry*** and Caroline**** accepted the award proudly.

 

“Well done campers!” exclaimed Sally. “You should all be very proud of yourselves. Now it’s time to enjoy some swimming down at the lake!”

 

The entire camp liked the sound of that and raced down to the lake together. The cool water was heaven to them after such a full on day.

 

Watching the campers jump and dive in the lake reminded Brian of more times spent there when he was a camper…

 


 

FLASHBACK- Summer, 2000

 

Justin laughed as he splashed about in the lake. It was a hot afternoon and the campers had been granted some free time. He, Emmett and Blake had decided to head down to the lake for a dip. Emmett dared his two friends to go in nude like him and they rose to the challenge. As long as nobody else was around, it would be fine. Surely…

 

Brian and some of his friends had had the same idea of going for an afternoon swim. They made their way down to the lake, looking forward to a nice cool dip. Brian held up his hand to halt his friends when he heard laughter. “Wait a sec”, he said quietly. “You hear that?”

 

“Somebody else is here”, Jared*****, another boy from his cabin, said. “So what? This is summer camp, we can still go in if we want.”

 

“Listen”, Brian insisted.

 

The boys were silent and listened closely to the other campers they could hear. “Stop that!” a voice said.

 

“Make me!” another voice laughed.

 

His eyes widening, Drew said, “Sounds like people we know.”

 

Brian nodded, a mischievous smirk growing on his face. “Taylor and Honeycutt.” The other boys nodded, getting what Brian had in mind. “You thinking what I’m thinking?” Brian asked them.

 

“I think so”, Drew responded. The boys snuck closer to the lake and spied the three other boys playing in the water. The older kids looked around for some way that they could mess with these punks. Spotting their clothes on a nearby rock, Drew pointed to it. “Pst! Look!” he said to his friends.

 

Brian and Jared were happy about this discovery. “I bet they’re naked in there”, Jared said, an evil idea bubbling in his mind. The same idea was in his friend’s heads as well.

 

Still, the very thought of a naked Justin Taylor caused a warmth to spread in Brian’s lower regions. This was a fact that pissed him off. He was determined to hide it from his friends. “Come on”, he said to them. The teenagers walked over as quietly as they could to the clothes and picked them all up. Brian cleared his throat so as to get the attention of the swimming campers, who he now knew were stark naked. The boys looked up at the older ones, startled. “Missing something?” Brian asked them smugly, holding up Justin’s white underwear.

 

“Shit!” said Blake, covered his junk with his hands.

 

With three identical smirks, Brian, Drew and Jared began to run away with the boys’ clothes. “Come and get ‘em!” Brian called over his shoulder.

 

“Hey!” Emmett angrily called. “You get back here!” He ran out of the lake and towards where the bullies had run off to.

 

“Emmett! What are you doing?” Justin shouted. “We’re naked!”

 

“Exactly!” the taller boy called back. “And we’re gonna stay that way until we get our clothes back. “Now are you comin’ or not?”

 

Justin thought for a second. He did not want to go out there naked, but he didn’t feel right about letting Emmett be around all by himself. He huffed and got out of the water with great reluctance. The blond had never been more embarrassed in his life. “Let’s get those idiots”, he said to Emmett. His friend gave him a smile and Blake got out to stand with them. The boys shared a ‘here goes nothing’ smile and chased after the jerks who had stolen their clothes. “Come back here, assholes!” Justin yelled as he ran. He tried to cover himself as best he could, which was not very well. He could hear the boys laughing their heads off and charged toward the sound. There was no way he was going to let them get away with this one.

 


 

PRESENT

 

As Brian and Justin watched their campers swim about in the lake, they smiled, enjoying how much fun they were having. It was a wonderful sight. “You know, this reminds me of a time when some jackass stole my clothes”, Justin said out of nowhere.

 

Brian laughed as he was just thinking of the same thing. “Really?’  he mock asked in a light hearted manner. “I wonder what kind of person would do that?” Justin gave him a playful glare and the men shared a laugh together. “Boy, we pulled some really good ones on each other, didn’t we?”

 

Justin laughed, picturing the many pranks they played. “We certainly did, Kinney. We certainly did.”

 

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Chapter End Notes:


*Emily Fields is a character from the tv show ‘Pretty Little Liars’

**Carrie Heffernan is a character from the sitcom ‘King of Queens’.

***Martha Jones is a character from the tv show ‘Doctor Who’

****Perry Cox is a character from the sitcom ‘Scrubs’

*****Caroline Forbes is a character from the tv show ‘The Vampire Diaries’.

 

What do you think the campers will get up to next?

 

xoxo