Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 9 – KNOWING WHICH BUTTONS TO PUSH…IS BOTH GOOD AND BAD

 

It has been 3 weeks since Ben and Michael separated and among their family both old and new members the reverberations are being felt…

 

BOYD HONEYCUTT HOUSEHOLD

 

DREW

 

I come down and find Michael with his head in the fridge.  The whole point of him staying at the pool house was that he didn’t come in here, especially in those ratty ass boxers.  I take a deep breath and paste on a smile.

               

                “Morning Michael.”

 

                “Oh hi Drew…”  He briefly stops rifling round my fridge and looks over the door at me.

 

                “What are you doing exactly?”  I ask grinding my teeth…my very expensive teeth.

 

He finally deigns to look at me properly and boy do I wish he hadn’t.  He has about 3 days’ worth of growth and it looks like his hair hasn’t seen a comb in days, though that being said it is an improvement on his normal style.

 

                “I need eggs, I have run out.”  He takes some of out of the fridge and heads back to the pool house

 

                “Uh Michael, the whole point of you being in a self-contained pool house with its own facilities is that you don’t help yourself to stuff in here…”

 

                “I know but I am hungry and it’s only a few eggs…”

 

                “Michael…”

 

                “Fine!”  He slams them down and stomps out and if he doesn’t think I saw that smirk when they cracked then he’s wrong.

 

                “Emmett!”

 

                “I heard, I know, let me talk to him…again!”

 

EMMETT

 

I go the pool house and Michael is standing there eating his cereal.

 

                “So you had cereal then?”  I ask.

 

                “Yeah but I wanted eggs instead.”

 

I do the KP* on the bridge of my nose and take a breath.

 

                “This is not working Michael, you need to fix things with Ben…”

 

                “Don’t you think I have tried that?!”

 

                “No actually I don’t think you have tried that!  Do you have any idea how hurtful what you said about and to Hunter was?  You called him a liar and a thief without basis or foundation!  And from what I heard about what you said at the BBQ…”

 

                “That was a misunderstanding!”

 

                “Whatever Michael, you have to hold up your hands and fix your shit because Drew wants you out and quite frankly looking at this place, so do I!”

 

He sits down dejectedly and looks up with tears in his eyes.

 

                “They won’t talk to me.”

 

                “Honey do you blame them?”

 

He shrugs and says nothing.

 

                “Remember how you got Ben back the first time, maybe that will work again?”

 

He gives a watery smile and I give him a hug.

 

                “But first things first, you need a shower, you are beyond ripe!”

 

I head out, it’s time to placate my man in the only way this nelly queen knows how!

 

MICHAEL

 

Right operation get Ben back begins now and Boy Wonder you are going to help!  But Emmett’s right I do need to shower first!  I feel more refreshed 30 minutes later, I head to the laptop and start ordering stuff and then I head to go to the store so I can start to bring Ben and I back together.

 

BEN

 

I am at work when the huge card arrives and my heart sinks.  I take it into my office having had the ignominy of collecting it from main reception and take a breath and then my heart melts. 

 

On the front of the card is a large brown bear giving a smaller bear a hug and on the inside it says “Dear Uncle Ben, thank you for letting me sleep on you all that time, you were very comfortable and soft.  Love Taylor xxx”.  I reach for the phone.

 

                “Hey Steve its Ben.  You good?”

 

                “Hey, I’m good how you doing?”

 

                “Well I just got a very nice thank you card in the post today so that cheered me up, how is she?”

 

                “Being a little princess at the moment, those terrible twos are worse than anyone says!  I am glad you liked it, I meant to send it before we went on holiday but got caught up in other stuff.”

 

                “She writes very well for a 2 year old.”

 

                “Hah she may have had a little bit of help.  Listen, are we still on for our sessions, Italy has its disadvantages and that would be pasta and good wine.”

 

                “Absolutely, starting tomorrow deal?”

 

                “Deal.  Chat then.”

 

                “Take care.”

 

I hang up and get back to the task of grading papers.  It turns out to be a longer day than I expected but I am surprised when I get home and find a box on the step but the lights are on, I hope Hunter’s okay, surely he would’ve picked up the box.

 

I was about to call out his name when I spot them, I know I shouldn’t think of them as sweet but they do look sweet.  He and Matt are lying on the sofa both asleep with Hunter in Matt’s arms.  I cover them with a blanket and turn off the TV before bringing the box in.

 

Before I open it I put in a call.

 

                “Hey Zee, its Ben…”

 

                “Why are you whispering?”

 

                “Wait let me take this outside.  That’s better.  Look Matt’s here, no there’s no problem unless you count them being asleep, what’s his curfew.  Ah right okay.  I am not sure how he got here I don’t see his car, you will okay I will wake them up before then.  Okay see you then.”

 

I head back inside and smile, they haven’t moved an inch.

 

I clear up as quietly as I can and head back to the kitchen and open the box, what the fuck! 

 

FAAL

 

                “Asleep are you sure he said asleep?”

 

Zee is sniggering at me as she approaches and wraps her arms round my waist.

 

                “My darling, whilst he has picked up some of your habits being a nympho is not one of them.”

 

I snort and nuzzle her head.

 

                “I am not, you just happen to be scrumptious!  It’s just has he not seen Hunter, I mean he’s….”

 

                “Finish that sentence carefully.”

 

                “What?  You’re saying I can’t appreciate the beauty of my fellow man?”

 

                “Not when it’s your son’s boyfriend and not when you’re telling your wife that?”

 

                “You know what I mean.”

 

She sighs and hugs me again before kissing me on the neck.

 

                “I do, but, no hear me, they want to take it slow and what with Hunter’s HIV let’s just leave them be to do what they want to do at their own pace.”

 

                “I cannot prod him in the right direction?”

 

                “Seriously you did not ask that!”

 

                “Okay am leaving it alone…spoilsport”

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL

 

Surely he has got it by now.  Maybe I should call and see if he’s got it, maybe it was stolen but we are in a good neighbourhood now, oh to hell with this.

 

                “Ben it’s me.”

 

                “Ah Michael, what the hell were you thinking?”

 

                “As I said to you it was for us and…”

 

                “So you sent me a box of rubbish thanks a lot!” 

 

He hangs up on me and I dash to the back of the store…oh shit I sent the wrong box.

 

MATT

 

Oh jeez he keeps grinding his ass like that I am going to explode!

 

                “Hun…Hunter wake up.”

 

                “Hmm what time is it, everything okay?”  He turns round to face me and our cocks brush and I almost lose it.

 

                “I need to go home soon, cur-curfew is almost upon us and I ne-need to all a cab.”

 

Luckily in his half asleep state he hasn’t notice me trying not to cream my jeans. 

 

                “Okay.  I’m up.  You want a hot drink before you go?”

 

I nod not trusting myself to speak.  Luckily all erotic thoughts die when Ben comes in the room, never have I been so happy to see him.

 

                “Hi Ben.”

 

                “Nice to see you are awake now, your mom should be here soon.  Did you have a good sleep?”

 

                “Yeah, we got a bit tired out from motocross I guess and we crashed out.”

 

                “Ah so that’s where you went.  I’ve never been, I am not sure these old bones will take it.”

 

Hunter comes back in with a coffee, he puts it on the table and then stretches out on the sofa with his head in my lap, immediately my hand goes into his hair, he thinks to stroke it as normal, but I need to move him forward a bit or I will be drilling into his head.

 

Ben chuckles and then looks up.

 

                “Your mom’s here.”

 

I practically throw him to the floor, pick him up, apologise, drop a quick kiss goodbye and shoot out the door.

 

HUNTER

 

                “What the fuck just happened, he couldn’t get out of here quick enough?”

 

                “He has to take care of something.”

 

                “His dumping me text?” 

 

                “Dumping you…what are you…no Hunter judging by the squirming that is the last thing he’s going to do!”

 

                “Squirming?”

 

                “Yes Hunter, you make him squirm and that’s a good thing.  Think about it.  Good night son.”

 

Dad heads upstairs and I take the still full cup to the kitchen, I meant to ask him about the box of rubbish but figure he will tell me soon enough.  My phone rings.

 

                “Hey…”

 

I head upstairs with a smile on my face, not only because he called but I understood the squirming comment.

 

THE DINER

 

MICHAEL

 

I am hoping to see either Hunter or Ben in here.  Well more Ben than Hunter so that I can explain the mix up with the boxes.  I have the correct one with me now.  Oh great just fucking great, here comes Carl.

 

                “Carl.”

 

He acknowledges me with a nod.  He heads to the counter and settles in his usual spot, what’s that’s it, no sorry for keeping you out of your birth home, no sorry for conspiring with Ben to have me kicked out of my home?  Well we will soon see about that.

 

                “Whatever it is you are going to say, think carefully, think again and then speak.” 

 

I sigh and grind my teeth, turning to the newest member of our little family.

 

                “Faal, how nice to see you again.  I wouldn’t have thought you would frequent a place like this.”

 

He chuckles lightly brushing his hands through his hair.  After raising his sunglasses and he fixes me with a cold blue eyed stare.

 

                “Wow, you’d think you would use that amazing power of yours for good rather than stupidity.  In one sentence you have managed to insult your mother and lie to me at the same time…”

 

Before I could say anything, ma comes out from the kitchen.

 

                “Hey Michael, what are you doing here.  And Faal on time as usual, here honey.  We will see you at the weekend right?”  She waves a finger in his face

 

                “Of course, though we may be a little late, we have to go over to the house to check on the work.”

 

She nods and then leaves a lipstick mark on his face, he rubs his cheek ruefully and on his way out bumps Carl, who rolls his eyes good naturedly and shakes his head.

 

                “Ma how have you been?”  I turn to her stiffly

 

                “Fine just fine honey, how about you and what’s with the box?”

 

It takes everything for my jaw not to hit the ground.  Is she actually kidding me!  I have lost my home and my family and she’s behaving like she’s asking about the weather!

 

The bell dings and there is the man of the hour, covered in sweat and looking gorgeous, I smile at him and quickly gather the box up.

 

                “Ben, I am so sorry for the mix up with the boxes, here’s the one you should have got.”

 

He takes it from me, it’s a start.

 

                “How have you been Michael, I understand you are staying with Drew and Emmett for a little while.”

 

                “Yes, I was finally given shelter…”

 

I hear Carl’s snort from clear across the room.

 

                “Well, I’ve got to go, I need a shower.  Debs I just stopped by after my run with Steve to say he and Taylor will be coming to dinner too.”

 

On hearing that Carl gets up and comes over.

 

                “Honey that’s 14 people, there is no way your kitchen can take that capacity and I am not having you run round like a loon trying to cook for them.  Look Red, how about you call Brian and ask if you can hold it at Britin instead, I am sure they won’t mind.”

 

She winces and then nods in agreement.

 

                “Wait how do you make that 14?”

 

                “I have included your son who had better be on his best behaviour.”

 

She flings her arms round him and kisses him soundly.

 

                “Thank you and he will be.  Won’t you!”  It was more of a command than a question.

 

I am not sure what is happening at the weekend but if it means that Ben and I are in the same room then fine I will be there.  He nods curtly at me and heads off.

 

                “Come on honey, sit, tell me what’s been happening and again what was with the box?”

 

Before I could begin her phone rings.

 

                “Hey Sun…oh I see he beat me to it did he?  Thank you and thank Alice for me too!”

 

                “Nice phone.”  I comment.

 

                “Yeah Carl got it for me, dropped my other one in the fryer by accident!”  She cackles at the memory.

 

She tucks it away and takes my hands.

 

                “So…”

 

                “Deb order up!” 

 

                “One minute…”  She says to me and quickly grabs the plates before having a word with Kiki, who glowers at me but nods.

 

                “Right I am all yours.”

 

                “Well, the box is a surprise for Ben, it’s some treats that I meant to give him on our anniversary but I forgot…”

 

                “You forgot your anniversary?”

 

                “Anyway, I am working on a plan that gets my family back together.”

 

                “Jenny still not talking to you?”

 

                “No.”

 

                “Look, whatever this plan of yours is forget it.  You will go for convoluted when simple is best, apologise, own your fuck ups, yes ups for there have been many, and stick to your promise to change.  Now I have to get back to my shift, I guess you will be coming with Emmett and Drew, okay, see you honey.”

 

And with that I lose my mother to the depths of the kitchen.

 

THE LOFT – FRIDAY

 

HUNTER

 

I am pacing a bit, I need to talk to Matt and I am not sure how he’s going to take it.  The buzzer goes and I let him up he greets me with a head clearing kiss.

 

                “Matt, um we need to talk.”

 

He looks warily at me and sits down gesturing that I adopt my usual position; I shake my head I need to see his face when I say this.

 

                “What?”

 

                “About my HIV and how I got it.”

 

                “Okay.”

 

                “I was, I was a…”

 

                “Hustler?”

 

I stare at his dumbstruck.

 

                “How the fuck did you know about that?  Did you have me investigated?”

 

                “Of course not!  Do you remember our first call?”

 

I nod.

 

                “Well Gus must have been standing there a little longer than you thought and I am not stupid and after what your dad tried to do I kinda figured it out, well not quite I had a few options.  Hustler, former drug addict or the other worse -case scenario…”

 

                “What other worse-case scenario?”

 

                “Um…rape victim.”

 

I sink into the sofa and just stare at him.

 

                “Say something.”  He whispers taking my hand.

 

                “And none of them would’ve bothered you?”

 

                “Nope that is your past but if you want to talk about it and how it relates and affects us…”

 

I scramble into his lap and begin and by the time I finish we are both crying.  I have never cried over what she did to me and how she fucked up my life but finally I can see myself letting it go.

 

BRITIN – SUNDAY MORNING

 

DEBBIE

 

                “Seriously Alice how do you not sleep in this kitchen?” 

 

She chuckles and shrugs.  Then when she hears the soft meow of one of the cats puts on the coffee and then puts some salmon on a plate, I look at her somewhat confused.

 

                “Brian’s on his way.”

 

                “How can you tell?”

 

                “Lilah.”

 

And right on cue here comes her majesty herself, she pauses and looks over her shoulder.

 

                “I’m coming hold your horses.”  He grumbles

 

He scoops her up and nuzzles into her chest and then on seeing me screeches to a halt and blushes furiously.

 

                “Not a word.”

 

I say nothing as he tests the salmon with his finger and then deeming it the right temperature, shreds it and puts her and the plate on the floor.  He grabs two cups of coffee and heads back out without a word but with Lilah hot on his heels.

 

                “I can’t believe what…”

 

                “Yeah not the unmitigated asshole everyone says he is.”  She cocks an eyebrow at me, I have the grace to blush.

 

                “Come on let’s get this cooking show on the road.”

 

For the next couple of hours we cook up a storm and I can’t help chuckling at Brian and Lilah.

 

                “Coooeee!  Where are the other two lovely ladies in my life?”  Emmett hollers

 

                “Kitchen, want bubbles?”  Alice calls out

 

                “Hmm, what do you think?”  He heads for the fridge.

 

                “Glasses are already chilling.”

 

                “I have taught you well!” 

 

                “What time is everyone else getting here?”  Brian drawls.  “Problem Emmy Lou?”

 

Emmett is standing there mouth agape looking at Brian who has Lilah round his neck.

 

                “What she’s a living scarf; so what time?”

 

                “About two, I think Faal, Zee and Matt are getting here earlier, wait where’s Michael?”

 

There is a silence and Emmett looks at the floor.

 

                “Well I thought it best that he took his own car so he’s gone to the store first.”

 

                “In other words, he’s pissed Drew off.”  Justin calls out from the hallway

 

                “Yeah that.”

 

I huff and shake my head, he can’t just do one fucking thing right!

 

The other members of our family arrive and drinks are poured, smoked – Brian sure likes that smoker gun – and Emmett’s nibbles consumed, I am keeping my fingers crossed that Michael doesn’t fuck things up further.

 

DREW

 

I am waiting for Ben to show up I seriously need to talk to him!

 

                “Hi Ben, a word.”

 

                “Hi Drew how…”

 

                “As a practising Buddhist how the hell can you do that to your fellow man, namely me?  Look I know you love the guy but you are having issues…”

 

                “Ah, Michael…”

 

I nod and he indicates that we should take it outside, by the time we come back everyone else but Zee has arrived and then I notice Hunter.

 

                “Is something different about Hunter?”  I ask Ben

 

                “You noticed it too?  I don’t know he seems a lot more relaxed maybe?”  Ted asks.

 

                “My son has a great muscle relaxant.”  Faal murmurs.

 

                “Dad!”  Matt hollers

 

                “Oops, time for damage control I think!”

 

We all exchange looks.

 

                “You think they’ve done it?”  Ted questions.

 

Blake comes to join us with some ginger ale for Ted.

 

                “Who have done what?”

 

                “Hunter and Matt have done the deed.”  I explain

 

                “No, that’s not it, it’s not sex.  It’s understanding, he’s told him.”  Ben explains

 

                “You mean everything?”  Ted asks incredulous

 

                “Yep.” 

 

We all turn to look at them, they really do look happy…and then look away swiftly as they start to make out.

 

                “Take it upstairs boys!”  Brian calls out, smirking as they swiftly depart.

 

MATT

 

                “Well that wasn’t embarrassing!”

 

                “The longer you stick around Brian the more you get used to him.”  Hunter chuckles leading me upstairs to his room.

 

I can’t help but admire the view, the flash of skin just above his pants is just begging to be touched.

 

                “Dude, will you quit staring at my ass.”

 

                “But is such a nice butt.”  I nuzzle his ear and back him onto the bed.

 

I kiss him gently before going back to that spot on his neck and sigh.  He’s doing the hand thing again…sometimes when we are making out and he gets a little overheated, he struggles to put his hands where he wants to, so once again I grab them and put them firmly on my butt and go back to kissing him.

 

FAAL

 

Brian and I exchange looks and then wink at each other.

 

                “Give then 20 minutes and then go pry them apart.”  Debbie snickers.

 

I nod and smile, then look at my watch, where is Zee?

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t believe Drew getting so bent out of shape about the wine, how was I supposed to know how expensive it was!  I am let into the house after leaning on the bell for a good 10 minutes, turns out they were admiring Boy Wonder’s latest offerings.  I know I said I wouldn’t say it to his face I never said I couldn’t think it.

 

We all head back to the lounge and Steve and Taylor have arrived, she immediately runs to Ben and he scoops her up, she clings to him like a limpet…again.

 

I see Hunter coming into the room and head his direction; Matt takes his hand and whispers something, nods and then leaves to join his father.

 

                “How are you Hunter?”

 

                “Okay.”

 

                “I’m fine.”

 

                “Good for you.  Excuse me.”  And with that he leaves me standing there alone.

 

I watch as he joins Ben and Taylor.  He says something to her and her eyes light up and after Ben puts her down and she takes Hunter’s hand he leads her out with Matt following behind.

 

                “What was that about?”  I sidle up to Ben and ask

 

                “Oh he’s going to introduce her to Claudia and the rest of the family.”

 

                “Claudia?”

 

                “Brian and Justin’s cats.”

 

                “You mean Justin’s cats.”

 

Ben sighs heavily, shakes his head and goes to join Steve in helping Hunter extricate one of the cats from Taylor’s firm grasp.

 

                “Hi Mikey.”

 

I turn to my best friend and smile then frown when I am looking into blue eyes at his shoulder.

 

                “She’s his living scarf, otherwise known as Lilah.”  Justin explains curling himself round his waist.

 

                “Um okay, so how have you been?”

 

                “Great just great, you?  Saw you talking to Ben and Hunter any closer to a reconciliation?”  He asks

 

I am distracted my answer by Lilah sitting up and fixing me with an unwavering stare, she yawns hugely and then using Justin as a stepping stone gets down and after stretching against Brian’s leg is gone.

 

                “I am working on it.” 

 

                “What’s to work on?”  Justin asks.

 

                “Just say sorry Michael, get on your knees if you have to.”  Brian sighs.

 

                “Okay foods up!”  Alice calls out effectively ending the conversation

 

                “She is spending way too much time with Debbie.”  Justin giggles

 

                “Huh…”  I make a mental note to speak to ma.

 

JUSTIN

 

                “You know, maybe you shouldn’t have embarrassed Hunter like that, you know what he’s like.”

 

Brian nuzzles my neck and I shiver.

 

                “Yeah but I have done nothing in my life that I am ashamed of so let him try his worst.”

 

I see Hunter smirk and shake his head.

 

                “I think that might be challenge accepted.”

 

Just as we are about to sit down, Faal’s phone rings, the relief across his face is obvious.

 

                “She got held up and is now on her way, sorry guys, she will be another 15 minutes says don’t wait.”

 

                “We can wait…Emmy Lou do you have more canapés to tide us over?”

 

He nods and drags me and Debbie into the kitchen to help.

 

MICHAEL

 

                “Emmy Lou?”  I snort

 

                “You have a problem with that Mikey.”  Drew asks

 

I shake my head and remember to keep in mind it is his pool house I am staying in.

 

HUNTER

 

Payback is coming Mr Kinney but not in the way you think, but I can say anything Justin sighs heavily.

 

                “Stop feeding her at the table.”

 

                “I am not feeding her, my hand just happens to be at her level with food in it, that is something completely different.”

 

Of course everyone looks under the table as Lilah takes another bit of salmon, we try not to laugh too much as he shrugs and Justin shakes his head.

 

He heads off to wash his hands with Lilah hot on his heels.

 

                “We’re all family here right so we can speak plainly no judgement?”

 

 

The room goes quiet and slowly people nod.  I take a deep breath.

 

                “So how many of you guys are or have been tops?”

 

                “Hunter!”  Debbie squeals.

 

Hands of Drew, Ben, Ted, Brian, Justin – wait Justin – and Steve…wait Justin and Steve – and Matt go up.

 

“So of those of you that are tops how many have bottomed?”

 

                “Hunter that is none of your business, but I know for a fact that neither Brian nor Ben has never bottomed”

 

                “Why are you asking Hunter?”  Dad asks gently.

 

I look at my plate, hoping that Matt doesn’t hate me, I know this is not the right way to do it.

 

                “How did you know which one you were?  I mean I have only…”  I trail off

 

                “Practice, you figure out what you are most comfortable with and go from there, some are comfortable with both and some just want one way.”  Dad smiles at me and then Matt

 

I nod and shoot a quick look at Matt, he smiles and winks, leaning into me

 

                “We’ll figure it out.”  And gives my thigh a squeeze, I let out the breath I was holding.

 

                “Can we please move on from this!”  Michael snaps.

 

                “Mikey, what do you mean I have never bottomed, of course I have!”   Brian retorts.

 

                “When you first started having sex yes, but not recently.”  He replies.

 

                “Thanksgiving and we have you to thank for that.”  Justin raises a glass.

 

                “And so have I.”  Dad admitted

 

“Way to go Baby!  Oh wait, was that when he…”

 

“Emmett!”  Justin squeaks

 

“So much for not sharing hmmm?”  Brian teases him and he blushes furiously as Emmett mouths his apologies.

 

                “Wait, who have you bottomed for?”  I ask dad

 

He is looking slightly uncomfortable.

 

                “It was just once, well twice, and a long time ago, over 12 years ago.  Michael’s right let’s move on from here”

 

It was quick but there was a look exchanged between Brian and Ben.

 

                “No way, no fucking way…you have got to be kidding?!  You two!  And you don’t mind?!”  I am incredulous.

 

Justin shrugged and smiled, everyone gasped.

 

                “It was before me…”

 

MICHAEL

 

                “What?  Brian…you bottomed for Brian?”  I gasp at Ben.

 

                “Michael, like Justin said and I said at the time you found out that it was before you…”

 

                “So who was the other person?”

 

                “There was no other person.”

 

When the realisation hits me I am furious, twice he slept with him twice.

 

                “I thought you said no repeats.”  I mutter

 

Suddenly the room feels too warm, I get up and grab my coat and head out to the car, thankful that I drove, I pass Zee on the way out.

 

                “Hey where you going…”

 

                “Somewhere where traitors aren’t!”  I snap

 

ZEE

 

I head straight to the lounge and am immediately engulfed by Faal’s arms.

 

                “What did I miss?  What got Michael’s pants in a bunch?  And please can I have a very large drink?”

 

                “In reverse order…here, Ben and Brian slept together twice but before they met Justin and Michael and Michael just found out and Hunter in a roundabout fashion told Matt that he’s ready for sex.”

 

I take a large swig and sigh.

 

                “I always miss the good stuff.”

 

                “Right food’s being served now.  Brian she will explode if you give her anymore salmon, come wash your hands again!”

 

A chuckling Brian follows her out and I wrap my arms round Faal, he strokes my back.

 

                “I was worried.”  He whispers

 

I squeeze him tightly and go and help Deb and Alice.

 

                “So Zee, what was it that kept you, Faal said you were having works done on the house?”  Carl asks.

 

                “Yeah that was the easy part, the delay was caused by spotting an odious fucktard and having to make a few phone calls.”

 

                “Can we narrow the odious and fucktard down?”  Faal asks

 

                “Dr David Cameron.”

 

Faal coughs into his drink.

 

                “I thought he was in Portland.  Did he see you, approach you?”

 

                “Slow your roll, yes we saw each other but no he didn’t approach.  He’s arrogant but not stupid.” 

 

I stroke his face to calm him down, he really hates the guy.

 

                “Is he a chiropractor by any chance?” Emmett asks.

 

                “Despite my best efforts, yes he is, why?”

 

                “He used to live in the Pitts and Michael used to date him, he even moved to Portland to be with him but that didn’t work out.”  He explains

 

                “Despite your best efforts?”  Brian asks.

 

                “Huh?”  I ask as I was distracted by fighting Faal for the last rib.

 

                “You said despite your best efforts.”

 

                “Sadly I am bound the laws of confidentiality, but…”

 

                “Faal could you explain?”  Brian drawls.

 

                “Gladly.  As well as looking after the physical body we also do investigative work for the financial services industry, and by we I mean Zee, since she no longer is on the beat as it were.  And we got a red flag report about some suspicious looking stock movement and it turns out…”

 

                “Seriously this is not Hansel and Gretel get to the point”

 

                “Who is telling this you or me?  So she investigated and it was insider trading but the hearing didn’t agree that it was deliberate but did agree that he showed a serious lapse in judgement so banned him from trading for 10 years, he can do nothing with stocks, shares or even open a bank account with more than $5K without notifying the authorities until 2022.  Wait what were the calls for?”

 

                “A hunch.  Now let’s leave this subject alone and enjoy the rest of our day.”  I reply.

 

 

The rest of the day was indeed spent enjoyably.  And the next day.  Especially for Hunter and Matt but that is a whole other chapter…