Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 5 – HERE’S TO HEALTH

 

THE LOFT

 

MICHAEL

 

I cannot believe it!  I cannot believe that little shit, little Mr Boy Wonder has sent my stuff back like that, as if I was nothing!  Well we will soon see about this.  I snatch up my phone and quickly dial the number.

 

                “Brian!  Oh for crying out fucking loud!  Brian it’s me, call me back when you get this message.”

 

Everyone is looking at me, I have never been so angry in my life, I keep pacing and scowling.

 

                “Michael why did you call Brian?”  Carl asks

 

                “So he can know what that little…what’s happened!”

 

                “What has happened exactly?”  Mel asks coolly

 

I look at her incredulously, then gesture at the boxes, she shrugs.

 

                “You are going to need your stuff back now that you are home and you have to get the house ready for Hunter and Ben when they are discharged.  I know that Hunter had been spending every hour that God sent at the hospital so I should imagine the place needs going over….”  Ma begins

 

                “Good point well raised.  So Michael you will be going now, you have a house to clean after all.”

 

Mel grabs my arm and starts guiding me the door.  

 

                “These won’t fit in my car.”  I argue

 

                “Well take one and we will drop the other off on the way home, okay Carl?”  Ma asks

 

Carl nods.

 

                “I need some help getting it down to the car.” 

 

Lindz leaps up to help and together we manage to get it into the elevator and down to my car.  She gives me a hug as we haul it into the boot.

 

                “Look call me okay, it will be fine, and everyone is just stressed once everything is back to normal it will be fine you’ll see…the natural order of things will be restored.”

 

I nod and head home, I am still seething but I know she’s right it will be fine. 

 

THE LOFT

 

Everyone looks at each other and slowly the grins start and then the giggles, until there are tears streaking down faces.

 

CARL

 

                “Did you see his face when he opened that box?”  I am gasping for breath

 

Debs gives me a hard shove but is wiping tears off her face.

 

                “He looked like someone had edged him and then walked away…”  Emmett cackles holding his sides

 

                “Edged?”  Jennifer queries dabbing her eyes with a tissue

 

                “Um get you to that point of almost no return and bring you back down to build you back up…”

 

                “Oh.”  She blushes and then grimaces.  “Thanks for the visual”

 

We all realise what she means and shudder.  Then we hear the creak of the elevator as it makes its way back up.

 

                “Shush!  Lindz is coming back.”  Mel admonishes and schools her features to neutral

 

Lindz comes in and looks round.

 

                “So are we going to sort this food out?  Shall I contact the physio?”  She attempts to take the list

 

                “As I said in the hospital I will sort that out.” 

 

Jennifer moves the list out of her reach and puts it in her purse.

 

                “So who’s up for Chinese?”  Emmett trills

 

NOVOTNY BRUCKNER HOUSE

 

MICHAEL

 

Once I get indoors, I have to take two trips because I couldn’t take the box out without it tearing, my heart sinks, it is clear that Hunter had not stayed here after our row, the house looked a tip, there were dirty dishes and the house smelt funky.  This is going to be a big job and I am not doing this alone, time to call for reinforcements.

 

                “Brian?  Hi look, I have a problem, the house is a tip since Hunter skipped out can you send Alice over so she can help with clean up?   I need to get their food and shit and can’t do that and this.  You can?  I knew I could rely on you thanks.  Love you and always will”

 

BRITIN

 

JUSTIN

 

We exchange looks.

 

                “What just happened?”

 

I have seen many faces of Brian; anger, hurt, bewilderment, lust and of course love but I have never ever seen him flabbergasted, yes that is the expression, flabbergasted.

 

                “Come on baby, let’s get ready for the Browns we can deal with this later.”

 

I tug him out of his reverie and towards the bathroom.

 

                “How did…”

 

                “Baby later, we deal with it later.”

 

I drop a soft kiss on his stunned mouth and he nods, for now Michael does not exist.

 

The evening with the Brows was a great success, everyone had fun, but it was a long night and it was after midnight when the Browns left and the kids were dead on their feet so it was an easy task to get them into bed.  Brian and Justin flopped on the bed, too tired to get undressed, and looked at each other.

 

                “An IOU fuck, rim and blow job.”  Justin asked hopefully

 

                “Deal.”  Brian nodded his eyes already closing.

 

He pulled Justin over to his chest and the room reverberated to the sound of gentle snoring [Brian] and snuffling [Justin] for now all was good in their world.

 

NOVOTNY BRUCKNER’S HOUSE – NEXT DAY

 

MICHAEL

 

As promised Alice came over.  She cast an eye over the home and looked at me expectantly.

 

                “Where do you want me to start?”  She asked

 

                “Wherever you want, I am going to the store.” 

 

                “Okay, so what is the hourly rate for this job?”  She states

 

I look at her dumbfounded.

 

                “You expect me to pay you?  Brian said you would help me?”

 

                “Yes, I work for Brian and he pays me, so if you want me to work for you then you pay me.”

 

She folds her arms and stares at me.  I glower at her.  Ma and Carl had dropped the box back the evening before and whistled when they saw the place.

 

                “So?”  She prompted.

 

                “What does Brian pay?” 

 

                “None of your business.  This is between you and me.  I don’t do anything until I get half up front?”

 

                “$10 an hour.” 

 

                “Good day Mr Novotny Bruckner, happy cleaning.”

 

And with that she leaves, I wait sure she is coming back until I hear the engine kick in.  I dash outside it is too late she’s gone.  I let off a stream of curses and stomp back inside.

 

The rest of my day is spent looking for a cleaning service that will fit me in, seems that everyone in the Pitts has a dirty house.  I finally get one that can fit me in on Thursday, they will do the entire house for me but it is going to cost me $1500!  I am so mad at Boy Wonder I could spit.

 

JENNIFER’S CONDO TWO DAYS LATER

 

                “May I speak to Steve Smart please?  Yes my name is Jennifer Taylor I was given his name by Doctor Richards it is in relation to Ben Bruckner and his son Hunter Novotny Bruckner.  Thank you.”

 

I tap my fingers idly on the table and wait patiently, the hold music was relatively upbeat for once.

 

                “This is Steve Smart, I have been expecting your call.”

 

The voice startled me it was deep and like warm honey.

 

                “Uh, um, yes, yes Jennifer Taylor I would like to arrange an assessment for my grandson and his father they recently have been…”  I start to ramble

 

A chuckle comes down the line.

 

                “Jennifer?  Breathe.”  He says

 

I am momentarily flummoxed

 

                “Pardon?”

 

                “Since I have been expecting your call it stands to reason that Dr Richards would’ve told me what to expect, so how about this, they will both be discharged by Friday correct? Well how about we have the assessment then, I can see what I am dealing with okay?”

 

I nod.

 

                “You know I can’t see you nodding right?”  He chuckles again.

 

                “Yes.  How about five, they should be discharged by then, where do you want to do this, um, assessment?”

 

                “I always find it better to do it at home, more comfortable for the patient.”

 

                “Okay this is the address.”

 

As I hang up the phone I get an odd feeling, a good one but an odd one.

ALLEGHANY HOSPITAL – FRIDAY MORNING

 

BEN

 

Hunter is all but bouncing off the walls with frustration.  Sadly he had a relapse and his T-cells dropped again, not too badly but enough for them to keep him in for a few more days, so we are being discharged together.  Michael comes in and the first thing to hit us is the smell.

 

                “What the hell is that?”  I ask putting up a hand to stop him coming any further.

 

                “Dude seriously reconsider scent, it is funky and not in a good way!”  Hunter is backing off.

 

Dr Richards and the gang come in chattering away.

 

                “Ben, Hunter how are – what the hell is that smell!”  Dr Richards claps his hand over his nose

 

Hunter points at Michael.

 

                “Mr Novotny Bruckner, could you have perchance have stepped in something on the way here?”

 

He checks his feet, they are clean but there is definitely a smell of something that has died in the room.

 

                “Seriously what the fuck is that?!”  Brian demands heading to open the window.

 

There is a little air but not enough to clear the room as quickly as we would like,

 

                “Wait, wait give me a minute…I know that smell.”  Emmett starts to gag

 

We all wait as he swallows down bile.

 

                “Coons piss.”

 

We all whip round to stare in horror at what he just said, Dr Richards blinks rapidly and his countenance changes.

 

                “What?”  He growls

 

Emmett fans himself and then looks at us all, he goes bright red.

 

                “What…oh!  Oh my God sorry no!  I didn’t think I am so sorry, I mean racoons, racoons!” 

 

We all look at Dr Richards who nods slowly and then back at Michael, who shuffles on his feet. 

 

                “Do we have racoons at our house Michael?”  I ask him.

 

                “I don’t know how they got in but they did.  But when the cleaning service came they…”

 

                “What cleaning service?”  I ask

 

                “I hired a cleaning service to do the house from top to bottom.  Cost me a fair few bucks.”

 

                “Why did you need to do that, surely if you just did one room at a time…”  Debs asks

 

                “Or had offered Alice a decent hourly rate…”  Justin murmured.

 

                “Can we focus on the racoons are they gone?”  I demand

 

He nods and sighs.

 

                “You do know we can’t discharge you in…”

 

                “What!”  Both Hunter and I yell.

 

Dr Richards holds up a hand to forestall the rage.

 

                “If you let me finish!  Jeez for fuck sake!  Wow I have got to stop spending time with you Deb.  We will be discharging you but you cannot go back to your home.  You need to stay elsewhere for at least 10 days, because your immune systems are still too weak.  Is there somewhere both of you can go until your house is fumigated?”

 

                “What about the loft?”  Justin looks at Brian, who shakes his head.

 

                “Only one bed.”

 

                “Britin then?” 

 

                “Sure?”

 

                “This is Ben and Hunter of course I am sure!”  Justin is a little indignant

 

                “Okay my little prickle puss, sorry.”

 

 He kisses the top of his head, he punches him lightly in the chest in acceptance.

 

                “So we are all staying at Britin then?”  Michael smiles

 

                “No.” 

 

                “Uh what do you mean no, you just said that they…”

 

                “They can stay at Bri…Britin was it?  But Michael you cannot, you are contaminated.  And need to be contained.  And lord knows what you brought into my hospital!”

 

I resist the temptation to laugh at Justin’s snort.

 

                “So when can we get out of here?”  I ask.

 

                “Right now.  I was coming in with the discharge papers.  Holy mother of God how did you not notice that fucking smell!”

 

He heads out of the door with the rest of them hot on his heels and we hear him call the orderlies, we both sigh at the wheelchairs but in a good way it means we are getting out.

 

Emmett calls out to him.

 

                “Dr Richards, please know I truly, truly didn’t mean anything like that…”

 

He nods and waves us goodbye as he heads towards another lucky patient.

 

                “So let’s get our boys home for now.”  Brian says quirking an eyebrow

 

                “Wait what about me?”  Michael calls out.

 

                “Go home Michael and stay there.”  Carl snaps.

 

                “Okay, please call me when you get home and let me know you are okay?”

 

I smile and nod but it is only when I think about it later, he was talking to me but looking at Brian and not once did he look at Hunter.

 

We spent the next 10 days at Britin.  Jennifer spoke to Steve and he agreed that the assessment could be put off to give us time to build up our immune systems.  Gus and Hunter spent time video conferencing, much to Brian’s faux annoyance and when the line wasn’t snarled up with that it was with Michael calling every 10 minutes.  What could he possibly have to say that he didn’t say 10 minutes before and it wasn’t as if he was calling to speak to me or Hunter, even though he didn’t say anything I could see it hurt him.  All too soon it was time to go home.

 

NOVOTNY BRUCKNER’S HOUSE

 

MICHAEL

 

Finally they are coming home!  I have to admit to being lonely by myself.  The fumigation didn’t take as long as they thought it would and I was given the all clear but they, by they I mean Justin, refused to have me over claiming he couldn’t risk Ben and Hunter’s health.  Bullshit, I saw the way he was with Ben at the hospital, which reminds me I must talk to Brian about that, it might be the reason for Ben’s snarkiness and behaviour lately.

 

I had a lie in this morning and took my time getting ready to collect them.  I had said I would be there about three to collect them as they had their assessment at four.  I had just spread some cream cheese on my bagel when my phone rang.

 

                “Hello Michael, how are you?” 

 

                “David!”

 

                “Have you got a minute or two to chat?”  He asks

 

                “Of course, how’s things with everything?”  I settle down on the stool and lose myself to the conversation.

 

 

 

The door knocked and I thought it odd because they had a key and then I opened it to Jennifer Taylor, great just what I need.

 

                “Jennifer to what do I owe this pleasure.”

 

She smiles sweetly at me.

 

                “Michael may we come in?”

 

I nod and step aside, she comes in followed by a large very good looking man, so she’s traded in Tucker and traded up like only a proper WASP could

 

                “So where are the patients?”  She asks looking round.

 

I look at her for a few seconds before it dawns on me…shit I was supposed to pick up Ben and Hunter at least an hour ago!

 

                “I got caught up in uh stuff.  I need to…” 

 

I start to mutter gathering up my keys and coat attempting to herd her and her lover boy out.  As I open the door, the sight that greets me makes my heart sink, Brian and Justin are there helping Ben and Hunter out of the car and none of them look happy.

 

                “See told you he was alive and well.  Just not thinking of…”

 

                “Justin please.”  Ben sighs.  “I just want to get inside my home and sit the fuck down okay?”

 

Justin nods and then steps aside to let Ben pass him.  Everyone comes into the house but says nothing.

 

                “So?”  Hunter drawls as he takes off his coat nodding at the man next to Jennifer

 

                “Oh, sorry where are my manners this is Steve…”

 

                “He’s a trade up from Tucker.”  I snicker.

 

She turns to me and smiles, tightly, then cocks her head on one side.

 

                “Steve Smart, the physio Dr Richards recommended and these, Steve are your patients, Ben and Hunter.”

 

They shake hands and she introduces them to Brian and Justin as well.

 

                “I am Michael, Ben’s husband.”  I point out noticing she has not introduced me and shoot her a dark look

 

                “Nice to meet you all.  So can we get started?”

 

                “What now?”  Ben is surprised.

 

                “It’s just the assessment, to see what we are dealing with.  After I have all the results I shall set up a regime for you both.  Is it okay to do this in front of your friends?” 

 

When Ben nods, Steve pulls out a tablet and for the next 30 minutes it is question after question.

 

                “Okay so where are the scales?” 

 

                “Huh?”  I had zoned out momentarily.

 

                “So I can take their weight.”  He says slowly

 

I head upstairs and get the scales.

 

                “Let’s start with you Hunter, what do you reckon you weighed before it all went to shit?” 

 

Hunter snickers and shrugs. 

 

                “I’d say about 140 give or take, eats like a bear but never retains weight…yes I am bitter.”  Brian sighs

 

Steve chuckles and points to the scales, Hunter gets on and looks down.

 

                “Not bad, 135, that is easily regained and then some.”

 

                “Please let there be some.”  Brian mutters grunting when Justin elbows him in the ribs.

 

Steve looks at Ben and indicates the scales.

 

                “Weight before shit storm?”  He asks

 

                “About 210…”  He replies

 

                “With your muscle mass no way, 225 at least.”  Brian states

 

How the hell does he know how much Ben weighs!

 

                “On you hop.”

 

He looks at the number and then at Ben frowning.

 

                “Strip down to your boxers.” 

 

He does so and although he doesn’t look as skeletal as he did in the hospital it is clear that he has lost a lot of weight how didn’t I see this.

 

                “Christ.”  Jennifer whispers looking at Ben’s feet.  “Are these scales accurate?”

 

Ben looks down and then gulps hard.

 

                “200…”  He gasps.  “I haven’t weighed that since…”

 

                “Don’t worry Ben, we will get you back, both of you back, to where you need to be okay?  Okay?”

 

Ben steps off the scales and nods, I can see he’s worried so reach out for him but am surprised when Hunter gets between us and gently pushes Ben into the chair handing him his clothes.

 

                “First things first, let’s get some food sorted out and whatever is on this list you will eat both of you.”

 

Steve looks between them and they nod.

 

Justin heads to the kitchen and opens the fridge and then closes it again.

 

                “Um Steve may I have a word?  In private?”  He asks.

 

He follows him outside and whatever it is that is said Steve is nodding but clearly unhappy.  Eventually they come back in and Jennifer and Justin exchange looks.  Justin takes out his phone casting a dark look at me, what the fuck is his problem? 

 

                “They will be here in about 40 minutes, meanwhile we can have some juice and…”

 

                “What will be here in 40 minutes?”  Brian asks

 

                “The pizzas.”  Justin mutters

 

Shit!  The food.  I knew there was something I meant to do yesterday but with everything else I forgot. 

 

                “I am so sorry guys, I had a shit load of stuff to do yesterday and that just slipped my mind, I am so sorry.  Truly I am.”

 

Jennifer stands and flicks something off her skirt and takes a deep breath.

 

                “So what shit load of stuff did you have to do today that made you forget to pick them up?”

 

                “I had some business calls to make.”

 

Ben sighs and runs his fingers through his hair.

 

                “For 2 hours?”  He asks

 

                “Huh?”

 

                “We were calling you for 2 hours and it kept rolling to voicemail now we know why.”

 

                “I have to make these calls, I am the only one bringing in any money you know.”  I argue

 

                “Um I am going to leave and call you guys tomorrow.  We will set up everything then.”

 

Steve all but runs out of the room, how I wish they or I could follow him.  Brian heads upstairs and two minutes later comes back down looking furious.

 

                “After we eat, Hunter, you’re going back to Britin.”

 

Justin looks at him but Brian just shakes his head no, his lips set in a thin line.  He looks at me for a long time.

 

                “Seriously you couldn’t make up the kid’s bed?”

 

Jennifer huffs a breath.

 

                “Brian, he can come stay with me, I haven’t had much time with him and Debs is not the only one that can fatten up a boy.  Please.  Let me do this.”

 

                “So what are you waiting for?”  Justin demands.

 

                “Now just you look…”  I start

 

                “Order the goddam fucking food and get it express delivered so it is here tomorrow!”  Brian snaps

 

The doorbell signals the arrival of the pizzas, they smell wonderful and I realise that I am hungry.   Jennifer gets plates out and serves them but she holds back on me saying I need to finish the food order first.  When I come back into the living room to eat, they were laughing and joking.  Hunter looks at his slice in bewilderment, he points at something green.

 

                “What is that?”

 

                “Something you are going to eat without argument got it?”  Jennifer grins at him

 

                “Yes Nana Jen.”  He nods

 

                “Good boy.  Continue to behave like this in my care and I see burgers, fries and popping candy ice cream in your future, say Friday?”  She quirks an eyebrow.

 

They left soon after they finished the pizzas and it was just Ben and I, he looks so…defeated it must be his weight issue that’s bothering him.

 

                “Hey, it will be fine you’ll see you’ll put it all back on.  Now why don’t we go to bed?”

 

                “Yeah.  I am so tired right now.”

 

                “It’s been a long day for all of us.”

 

I follow him upstairs and we head to the bedroom, once undressed I try to cuddle up to him but he turns on his side and moves away from me.

 

                “Ben.”

 

                “I just want to sleep Michael.”

 

Ben and Hunter, with Steve’s guidance, over the next few months slowly gain their health back.  And everyone got fitter, after Ben’s insistence that he was not going to suffer, I mean exercise, alone.  Much to Brian’s delight the work outs did wonders for Justin’s bubble butt, he lavished it with so much attention, one particular rim job lasting an hour by which time Justin was sure his cock was raw having frotted it into the duvet for the entire time, whoever said silk doesn’t chafe was wrong!  The only one, predictably, not enjoying this new thang was Michael but he saw one light in the darkness, when he ordered the food for the house he also ordered treats for himself…he doesn’t care because Justin is footing the bill and he has to eat after all.

 

Unbeknownst to all threats are coming their way but they will find out just because they look scary doesn’t mean that they are…

 

 

TBC