Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 17 – …AND SOME COLD HARD PERSPECTIVE

 

RED CAPE COMICS – WEDNESDAY LATE MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

I am tired but at least I am seeing my Honeybun next Saturday, although admittedly it is at Boy Wonder’s fucking post perspective dinner. 

 

I must call her at some point, she should’ve calmed down by now, though I am still annoyed at the way she answered me back, I blame Hunter’s influence for that. 

 

I am sorting under the counter when the door goes.

 

                “Hey Mikey.”

 

                “Brian, where the fucking hell have you been?!  Didn’t you get my messages?  Why didn’t you call me back?  You would not believe what has happened!”

 

He takes a deep breath and leans against the counter.

 

                “Colorado.  Yes.  I was in a meeting earning money a $60 million contract.  Try me.”

 

                “David fucking lying bastard Cameron stole my money!  And you have to help me get it back!”

 

                “How did he steal your money?  And how can I help you?”

 

I smile at him, I knew my best friend would come through for me as usual.

 

                “Because I dumped him, he won’t give me the money back that I lent him and I need to sue him privately.”

 

The door opens again and in comes Justin.  Great.

 

                “You ready?  Hello Michael.  What’s up with you two?” 

 

He smiles down at him and then starts to pick paint out of his hair.

 

                “Can we…”

 

                “Michael dumped David and wants our help to get some money that he says he stole back…”

 

                “Brian!” 

 

                “What he asked me a question and I am always unfailingly honest!  And speaking of honest rumour has it that Mel turned up and gave you a double slap in the middle of the diner, what was that about?”

 

I cross my arms and glare at the pair of them and try not to grimace as Justin’s hand slides under Brian’s top and he squeezes his side making him flinch and giggle.

 

                “Shall we get the gang to convene at Woody’s tonight to discuss?”  Brian asks

 

Reluctantly I nod and they start to leave.

 

                “Oh Brian, you need to check your voicemail for Kinnetic it says that the office is closed for a week.”

 

                “Nope don’t need to because it is.  Oh and one other thing, if you ever speak to Bethany like that again, I will put you on the “hang up” list.  See you tonight.”

 

I stare at the closing door in shock.

 

BEN & HUNTER’S HOUSE

 

MATT

 

Okay so that’s the fifth shirt he’s pulled out to wear and he doesn’t start until next week. 

 

                “Hunter.  Hunter!  Would you stop panicking, until you need to panic, which will be on Sunday, you know the day before you start.”

 

He sits down and smiles sheepishly at me.

 

                “Sorry it’s just, I am so nervous what if I screw up, what if…”

 

I push him back on to the bed and kiss him deeply.  He wraps his legs round my waist and I start to rut against him gently and slowly.

 

                “You-you really need to stop that.”  He pants as I speed up slightly.

 

                “Seriously you want me to, oh God, stop doing this?  You need to, mmm, have more con-confidence in yourself.” 

 

We lock gazes and he gives a lazy grin.

 

                “N-no and I know I should.  But, but these are my, there, like that, yes there, my fa-favourite jeans.”

 

                “I’ll buy you a new pair.”

 

I move faster.

 

                “Oh!  Ah!  Gonna cum!”  He cries out and then shudders and I swiftly follow.

 

                “Fuck!  Jesus!”  I whimper.

 

He strokes my back as I come down.

 

                “So the loft on Sunday night right?”

 

I just nod into his shoulder.

 

WOODY’S – EVENING

 

TED

 

Whatever you do, do not laugh when you see Michael, do not laugh when you see Michael.

 

                “And do not say that mantra out loud?”  Ben whispers.

 

                “For crying out…what are you trying to do kill me!” 

 

He chuckles and settles down into the seat next to me with a bucket of beers and a food disc, Justin will be pleased. 

 

                “So have you managed to separate all my assets now?”  Ben asks

 

I nod and smile.  Contain your twink indeed!

 

We are slowly joined by the rest of the gang except for Debbie and Carl who are on a date, Zee as she has a meeting and Drew as he just can’t stand Michael.  When Michael arrives he does not look happy to find that Justin is on one side of Brian and Faal is on the other.

 

                “Mikey, have a beer!”  Brian offers.

 

He grabs one and sits as close to Brian as he can.

 

                “So Michael you were saying earlier about David?”  Justin asks

 

                “I would…”

 

                “To catch everyone up to speed, David and Michael are over because Michael dumped him and now says that David owes him money.”

 

                “Justin for fuck sake!  Do I go around spreading shit and private stuff about you?”

 

                “Is that a trick question?”  Blake mumbles.

 

                “How does he owe you money?”  Faal asks.

 

                “Well according to Mel he doesn’t but I think he does so I am going to sue him privately.”

 

                “Well good luck with that.  But I am curious as to why you lent him money in the first place, what was the money for, it doesn’t seem like he needed it.”  Blake asks

 

                “To buy some stocks and shares.”  He replies

 

I took the wrong moment to look at Justin who has this smile on his face but is making little choking sounds.   Ben, Emmett, Faal and Brian are handling it much better, though from the tensing of Faal’s arm I suspect he’s digging into his palm.

 

                “Excuse me!  Need the bathroom!” 

 

I practically gallop away from the table and minutes later I hear Justin calling my name.  I open the door and drag him into the stall and we both collapse in quiet giggles.

 

                “Ted.  Ted.  Come on keep it together!  Look at me Ted, come on please just hold it together it’s only one more week come on.  After the perspective we are free and clear.”  He whispers harshly.

 

I take a deep breath and nod.  He leaves first and I follow him out, when we get back to the table Michael’s not there.

 

                “Where’s Michael?”

 

                “Said he was getting more beers.  Ah there he is.”  Faal replies.

 

Michael is coming out of the bathroom with a very strange expression on his face.

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t believe what I have just heard!  I knew, I just knew that Boy Wonder couldn’t be trusted.  Guess there’s no honour amongst twinks.  I know exactly what to do with this and when.

 

TORONTO – MEL & LINDZ HOUSE – FRIDAY

 

JENNY

 

                “I can’t wait to see everyone again next week it’s going to be so much fun and I’ve made Zee promise to show me how to make the cookies properly this time!”

 

Gus is shaking his head at me and smiling.

 

                “I’m glad to have you back J.  I hated you moping around.”

 

I nod and try not to be too upset that he’s not even called but I can’t help it, he’s my dad.  I head upstairs as it’s my turn to load the laundry and I can hear mom and momma arguing again.

 

                “You can’t be serious there is no way Michael would be this stupid?”  Momma says

 

                “Lindz I heard it with my own ears and saw the emails, he gave David the money over two years ago and now they aren’t together he wants it back.”

 

What why aren’t they together, is this my fault?

 

                “Where’d he get the money from though?”

 

                “Where’d you think?  From the bank of Kinney but this time it’s Kinney-Taylor.  He wanted money to do up his store but from what I have seen he’s not done that much with it, still looks as run down as it normally does, seriously can’t the man dust!”

 

Wait that’s not what dad said to me!  He said that he asked for the money for me and Hunter.

 

                “Well, I, I mean we need to discuss this with Brian…”

 

                “Oh no we don’t.  Once again this is nothing to do with us!  I only know because he asked my opinion from a legal standpoint.  When we get there next weekend, you are not I repeat not to bring this up.”

 

                “Fine!  But what’s this I hear about him and Hunter not getting on.”

 

                “Oh you knew usual teenage stuff.  We’ve got it to come in Gus and J, I mean Jenny soon.  Come to think of it though J does suit her better, I’m glad Hunter started that, actually I think it was Matt.”

 

                “I know that he and Ben are closer but still everyone has their spats…”

 

I hear the phone ring and Gus calls up for momma, I quickly hide behind the door and wait for her to go downstairs, I peek inside and mom is wiping her eyes.

 

                “How could you call your child a diseased bastard Michael, how could you?”

 

My heart hammers in my chest and I feel sick. 

 

After doing my chores I head to my room and making sure the door is shut I call Matt.

 

                “Hey Matt, how-how are you doing?”

 

                “Good J real good.  You?  Did you call the wrong number by mistake?”  He chuckles.

 

                “No, I-I…”

 

                “J, what the fuck’s wrong what is it?”

 

                “Is it true what he said?”

 

                “Who what?”  Matt

 

                “My dad.  Did he really call Hunter a diseased bastard?” 

 

Matt gasps in surprise and then is silent.

 

                “Matt?”

 

                “You can never tell him, you promise me that, never tell him, it would devastate him!”

 

                “He’s my brother Matt, I won’t keep secrets from him, but I can promise you that I won’t tell him unless he asks me.  Good enough?”

 

                “Good enough.  So how did you find out?”

 

                “I overheard mom talking.  I will never forgive him for this, he’s lied and lied again, oooh I just want to…I am so fucking pissed off!”

 

                “If it helps I punched him when he said it.”

 

                “Good!”

 

Oh shit I can hear more arguing downstairs.

 

                “Sorry Matt, gotta go they are at it again!”

 

                “Okay see you next weekend.  Bye J”

 

                “Bye.”

 

I head downstairs and sit next to Gus and watch the show.

 

                “What else is he going to give him Mel?”

 

                “He’s not given him anything he has access to it completely different!”

 

                “What’s it about this time?”  I ask Gus

 

                “Dad called to say that Hunter would let them into the loft, she asked how, he said key and here we are!”

 

                “Momma what’s the big deal about this, it’s not as if you are going to be in there every day?”  I ask.

 

                “Jenny…”  She starts and then stops as if gathering her thoughts.

 

                “Besides you’d hate to walk in on Matt and Hunter going at it wouldn’t you?”  I point out.

 

                “Matt and Hunter going…”  She looks shocked

 

                “Well where else do you think they do it, Aunt Zee and Uncle Faal are liberal minded but they don’t let them fu…have sex in the Treehouse.  So it’s the loft or the Brownstone, they prefer the loft because it’s more of dude home than the Brownstone, after all it belongs to the Stud of Liberty Avenue, retired, it must get their creative juices flowing.”

 

Momma is standing there with a shocked expression on her face.

 

                “I’m going to sort out lunch.”  She mumbles.

 

                “Okay Lindz you go right ahead and do that.”

 

I’m not sure what I did to deserve that wink from mom but there you go.

 

 

PORTLAND – DAVID’S HOUSE

 

CHARLES

 

                “Will you stop pacing about you are making me dizzy!”

 

                “What if he’s changed his mind?”  He asks me panicked.

 

                “If he’s changed his mind he would email you to say so…ah there’s the bell”

 

He freezes in mid-pace.

 

                “This is where you answer it.”

 

He clears his throat and goes to open the door.  He is followed in by Hank who is the spitting image of him. 

 

                “Hank this is Charles, Charles this is Hank.”

 

There is an awkward silence before I suggest coffee and we all sit down.  I give David a meaningful look.

 

                “Hank there is something else I need to tell you.  Charles is aware, but I want you to know my reasons for doing so.”

 

He nods and looks wary.

 

                “When you bumped into Michael at the ComicCon and gave me his details I thought nothing of it but then when it all went to hell I gave him a call, I just wanted a friendly voice and nothing more.  But then he started telling me how great his store was and his life I was annoyed.  He said he had come into some money and wanted to provide a future for him and his daughter after his husband dies…”

 

                “Ouch callous much.”  I mutter

 

                “Yeah I know, Ben’s a nice guy, how he landed him I will never know.  Anyway, he sent me $50K and instead of investing it I used it to pay some of the fees and keep myself afloat for a couple of years.  Then when I got the papers about Sarah, I couldn’t believe it.  Then I remembered that bond that you and Michael jointly invested in it, but I couldn’t find the certificates or anything so I assumed that Michael had them and went to Pittsburgh to get them so Charles could liquidate the stock and you could at least have your college fund back.  All I…”

 

                “Wait are you saying that you went to Pittsburgh to hook up with him for me?  What about the $50K can’t he ask for that back?” 

 

He asks looking worried when David nods.

 

                “Not unless he goes through a private lawsuit.  And then he would most likely lose.”  I reassure him.

 

                “But I couldn’t I just couldn’t stand to be with him a minute longer when he treated his daughter the way he did and various other reasons, so I couldn’t get the certificates back but maybe you can ask for copies, though you would have to give him his half of it…”

 

                “I can’t.” 

 

Hank is looking distinctly nervous.

 

                “Why not, they may have been discontinued but you can at least get your initial investment back?”

 

                “There wasn’t a government bond call TalonMotor, I made it up.”

 

David and I exchange incredulous looks.

 

                “I didn’t like him.  I never liked him and the way he whined and moaned about everything was so annoying.  Then one day I heard him on the phone to someone asking him to send him some money because he hadn’t got a job yet and when he said I love you always have and always will I got mad and the rest you know.”

 

                “So what did you do with the money?”  David is starting to smile.

 

                “Nothing, I felt so guilty afterwards I didn’t touch it, as far as I know it’s still there.”

 

                “Why TalonMotor though – where’d you pull that name from?”  I ask.

 

                “It’s an anagram of Total Moron.”

 

David just shakes his head and looks at me.

 

                “Okay right, what we have to do is find and close that account and give him his share back.  Right Charles.”

 

I am nodding because I can’t speak as I am laughing too hard.

 

                “Charles you are not helping!  Be serious!  Come on it’s not…it’s”

 

They exchange looks and soon join in.

 

TREEHOUSE

 

FAAL

 

                “Okay what is it, you have been bubbling like a brook all day?”

 

                “Want to know how it went with David and his son but don’t have an in…”

 

                “Of course, I had forgotten that, but you do have an in…see if he’s still coming to the perspective.”

 

She kisses me soundly and picks up her phone.

 

                “Hey David, its Zee.  I’m fine it’s all good here.  I was just wondering if you were still attending the perspective next week.  You are that’s great.  Okay and I did have another…you did?  How’d it go?  Oh that’s great that’s wonderful I am so pleased, he is oh okay look forward to meeting him then.”

 

She curls back into my side and smiles.

 

                “It went so well that he’s bringing him and his beau to the perspective.  After Michael’s behaviour I am almost tempted to invite them to dinner.”

 

                “Give into temptation my lig…give in!”

 

BRITIN – EARLY SATURDAY EVENING

 

JUSTIN

 

I have finished off the last of my painting for the day.  Heading downstairs I find Brian and Lilah relaxing on the sofa, I curl up next to him.

 

                “You smell nice.  Is that the oil that Zee gave us?”

 

                “Yeah, there was a shower gel and bath oil in there too.”

 

                “You had a soak and didn’t call me, I could’ve scrubbed your back.” 

 

I giggle and kiss his chin.  Alice knocks on the door.

 

                “Well if you don’t need me for anything else, I will head back to the cottage for the evening.  There’s stuff in the freezer that you can defrost in the morning, think there’s still some oxtail stew if you want me to take that out now…”

 

She trails off and sighs.

 

                “What’s the matter Alice?  You’re not still upset about what that dickhead said to you, by the end of next weekend you won’t have to deal with him anymore.” 

 

I reassure her but she still looks wistful

 

                “No it’s not that.  It’s silly but…it’s just tomorrow isn’t…”

 

                “It’s not going to be the same is it?”  Brian asks quietly.

 

                “No it’s not.”

 

                “Fuck it.  Hang on.”

 

He picks up his phone and smiles.

 

                “How about I send a text: Britin from one bring PJs and a dish and see what happens.”

 

She nods and he waves her into a seat and hands her a brandy, we wait patiently and within 30 seconds his phone rings.

 

                “Oh thank fuck for that!  Tell everyone that I’m catering the entire thing this time!”  Emmett trills.

 

                “Will do Emmy Lou.  See you tomorrow.”

 

                “Thank you.” 

 

Smiling she finishes off her brandy and kisses him on the top of his head.

 

SUNDAY – MIDDAY

 

BRITIN

 

EMMETT

 

                “How’d you persuade him Baby, which particular twink power did you use this time?”

 

                “I didn’t.  It was Alice who asked.”

 

                “Well I don’t care who asked, Sunday’s aren’t the same without the family bundling round and the once a month overnight at the Treehouse is it?”

 

                “No, it isn’t.”

 

I hear my favourite commis coming in, Debs and Alice are laughing about something or other. 

 

                “Debs you’re on veggies and Alice…”

 

                “I’m on bubbles I know.  Glasses are already chilling.”

 

ZEE

 

                “I’ll get it!”  I shout and open the door to Michael.

 

I don’t say a word and just let him in.

 

                “Nice to see you too.”  He snarks

 

                “Keep racking them up please just keep racking them up.”  I snap back

 

He brushes pass me and heads to the lounge. 

 

                “Here come occupy your hands by wrapping them round your son.” 

 

I am startled out of my mendacious thoughts by the arrival of Matt and Hunter and hug them both.  I decide that the kitchen is a much better place for me to be.

 

                “He’s arrived then?”  Alice asked

 

I nod and swig back my champagne. 

 

                “Anything I can do?” 

 

Emmett shakes his head after a bit of thought and I head reluctantly back to the lounge.  Settling down next to Faal I put my feet in his lap and he starts to massage my feet, I sigh happily and go back to my mendacious thoughts of Michael Novotny.  I was dragged back to reality by him asking Justin about his perspective.

 

                “So what happens after the perspective what are you going to do?”

 

                “What do you mean what am I going to do?  Paint some more until I get another show.  And help Brian at Kinnetic when he needs me to.  Why do you ask?”

 

                “No reason just curious.  So Ted anything planned for you?”

 

Ted, and everyone else, looks confused by the question.

 

                “Same thing I do every working day, be Brian’s right hand man at Kinnetic and keep the company afloat.  Not that we need to do much with the Grunberg account in the bag, I still can’t believe it.”

 

                “Me neither but I couldn’t have done it without you Ted, the negotiations you put in and the way you handled their questions, superb, that bonus is well deserved.” 

 

                “To Ted for his negotiating skills and honesty! And to Justin, good luck next week!” 

 

Michael raises his glass and we do the same.

 

                “Okay what the fuck?”  Faal mouths.

 

                “No idea.”  I mouth back.

 

MICHAEL

 

I can see I have them rattled.  The door goes and in comes Ben swiftly followed by Taylor and Steve.  She stands in front of me and stares.

 

                “What is it Taylor?” 

 

                “You’re sitting in our seat.” 

 

                “Your seat.  I…”

 

                “Uncle Ben and I always sit here.”

 

She puts her hands on her hips and keeps staring.  Ben starts to laugh.

 

                “See what I mean?”  He says to Steve.

 

                “Just shut up.  Michael would you mind moving please?”

 

                “Actually…”

 

Taylor folds her arms and stamps her foot.

 

                “It is our seat!”  She exclaims.

 

                “Michael come on give Taylor the seat, she’s right she and Ben always sit there.”  Carl chimes in.

 

I get up and move along.

 

                “No!  That’s where daddy sits!”  She cries out.

 

                “There’s nowhere else for me to sit Taylor.”

 

She looks round the room and after pulling Ben and Steve into their seats, she gets a cushion and puts it by Carl’s feet.

 

                “You can sit there!”  She declares and settles into Ben’s lap.

 

                “No its okay I’ll just grab a chair from the dining room thanks.”

 

As I leave the room I hear Taylor say something and then laugher

 

                “What was so funny just now?” I ask when I come back in

 

                “Nothing much, just something Taylor said.”  Carl smirks.

 

                “Oh come on share, we’re family and we like to share right Ted, right Justin?” 

 

                “She said you have a sulky face.”  Steve replies.

 

I roll my eyes him and switch my attention to Ben, he is stroking Taylor’s hair as she starts to drift off.

 

                “So Ben when are you selling the house?”

 

                “Michael this is not the time or the place, we are trying to have our usual nice Sunday lunch without any drama.”

 

                “Fine!  But we will talk about this Ben and soon.  I need to engage a lawyer.”

 

HUNTER

 

I am this close to smacking him in the mouth, seriously this man is so fucked up it’s not even funny.  What’s he doing here anyway, nobody wants him here and what’s with the comments to Ted and Justin?

 

                “Hunter, hey Hunter come back to earth?”

 

                “Huh sorry, what did you say Ted?”

 

                “I asked if you wanted to resume putting into your college fund now that you’re back in work before you go to college.”

 

                “Yeah, that’s what I meant to talk to you about, thanks for reminding me.  Can we talk about this in the week?”

 

                “What do you mean back in work when did you quit working?”  Michael asks.

 

There is an astonished silence.

 

“Oh that would be when dad got sick and I wanted to visit him every day and then I got sick and had to recuperate.  Larry held it open for as long as he could.”  I bite back.

               

“So how has been contributing Ben?”

 

                “What are you talking about now?”  Dad is really sounding fucked off.

 

                “How did Hunter contribute more than me when he wasn’t working?”

 

                “I meant when he was working and he’s volunteered at the university until he got this job.”

 

                “Oh I see, where are you working then Hunter?”

 

                “None of your business.”  I retort.

 

                “Listen to me I am your father and you won’t…”

 

                “No you stopped being that a long time ago!”  I shout and storm out followed by Matt.

 

BRIAN

 

                “Wow Michael just wow.  You can’t seem to help yourself when it comes to him, you have to keep putting your foot in it.”

 

Matt comes back down and glowers at Michael, he whispers something to Faal and he follows him out.

 

                “What did I say?  He was being disrespectful to me.  I have earned that right to respect.”

 

                “No you have earned the right to manners, which he gave you just about, respect is earned and you have lost that in him and have done fuck all to get it back.”  Steve snaps.  “Now I am going to take Taylor up for her nap before dinner.”

 

                “You can put her in Jenny’s room okay?” 

 

I tell him and watch the anger flit across Michael’s face but before he can say anything else, Faal comes back in and speaks to Ben who goes upstairs.

 

                “Happy Michael, he’s refusing to come down now.  Well done.”  Faal snaps as he heads back up.

 

                “If Ben can’t persuade him to come down you will leave.”  Justin tells him.

 

After another 10 minutes, we hear footsteps and Steve comes in.

 

                “They’re still talking.”  He tells us.

 

There is a heavy atmosphere and after another 5 minutes the door opens and its Ben and Matt; they are followed by Emmett, Alice and Debs.

 

                “Where’s Hunter, what’s happened?”  Emmett asks looking round.

 

Nobody says anything, I watch him exchange looks with Drew who cocks an eyebrow at him.

 

                “What the fuck did you say this time Michael?  Where is he?” Emmy Lou demands.

 

                “Upstairs with Faal.”  Justin murmurs.

 

                “Be right back.” 

 

Debs remarks and is out the door before Emmett can say anything and two minutes later all three of them are back.  I feel Justin sag against me in disappointment.

 

                “Sometimes all it needs is a grandmother’s touch.  Now we are going to have a nice family dinner then Hunter and Matt are going to the loft for some quality time before his first day of work.  And you Michael are going to keep your mouth shut unless it is to put food it, one just one word from you and I will throw you out myself capice!”

 

I smirk as Michael really struggles to not speak and eventually nods.

 

                “Right more bubbles I think yes!”  Imitating Faal lightens the gloom.

 

The rest of the dinner is a lively affair, apart from Michael glowering and steaming in his seat, twice Ted and I had to stop our favourite blonds from making remarks about things that Michael holds dear, which would normally have Michael tearing into them, but one look from ma was all it took to keep him quiet.  But at least it put a smile on Hunter’s face.

 

RED CAPE COMICS – THURSDAY MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

                “Hey Lindz, how are you, where are you at the loft.  Oh where are you going?  Well good luck with that I have been trying to get in to see him all week.  They had a week off last week and apparently they are playing catch up.”

 

I am glad Lindz is here at least she supports me. 

 

I am still waiting to hear from the restorer’s they said another 3 maybe 4 weeks to get it perfect, it will cost me another couple of grand but so be it.  I am going to get a coffee, ma should be in the mood to apologise for embarrassing me like that by now.

 

KINNETIC

 

BRIAN

 

                “Mr, I mean Brian, there’s a Lindsay Peterson-Marcus to see you.”

 

I pinch my nose, she couldn’t wait until after lunch.

 

                “Give me five minutes.”

 

I call Ted into the office, at least that way he can sort of stop me from killing her.  I get Bethany to send her in.

 

                “Brian, oh hello Ted.”  She stops short.

 

                “Lindz how are you?  All settled in?”  I ask nonchalantly.

 

She sits down and curls her hair behind her ear.

 

                “Yes fine, we’re all settled in.  I wanted to talk to you in private about some things I have been hearing that cause me concern?”

 

                “You mean about Justin and me giving Hunter money?”  I ask.

 

                “Well yes there’s that and…”

 

                “There’s more?  What is there else that has nothing to do with you could you want to talk about?”

 

                “Brian there is no need to adopt that tone with me.  I am merely looking out for Gus’s future.”

 

                “His future is more than secure Lindz, Ted and I have made sure of that…”

 

        “I don’t doubt that but I just feel that Gus’s feelings have not been taken into consideration here.”

 

        “Lindsey!  Leave this alone.  It has nothing to do with you.  Now if you will excuse me I have to keep Justin in the manner to which he has become accustomed.  I will see you at the perspective this evening okay?”

 

I go back to my work and Ted holds the door open for her, she begrudgingly takes the hint and leaves.

 

DINER

 

MICHAEL

 

None of the gang are here, and since Sunday I have kept my distance from them.  I know I am going to be unpopular once I let everyone know what’s happening but it has to be done, I can’t let them do that to Brian, I don’t give a fuck about Blake.

 

                “Michael what are you doing here, shouldn’t you be at the store?”

 

                “No ma, the store is running just fine.”

 

She snaps her gum at me and looks sceptical.  Just as I was about to say something David walks in with some guy, they are holding hands.

 

                “Ma don’t move!”  I hiss at her.

 

                “Why?”  She whispers.

 

                “David’s here with no doubt his next victim!”

 

Ma slowly turns round and looks, David waves at her and she waves back.   I take that moment to slip into the corridor and down into the office. 

 

DEBS

 

My son certainly takes after his father in the dramatic department.  When I turn round he’s gone so I head towards David’s table.

 

                “Hi David, what’ll be and who is this distinguished looking gentleman?”

 

                “Hi Debs, a mint tea for me and Charles the same, two mint teas and this is Charles, this is Debs.”

 

I shake his hand.

 

                “What are you doing back here again?”

 

                “We’re here for Justin’s perspective this evening.  I take it you’ll be there.  Look I don’t want there to be any awkwardness between us and the family this evening or on Saturday, but I couldn’t keep seeing Michael after the way he treated Jenny and other things he said.”

 

                “You stopped seeing Michael?  But he said…wait Saturday what about Saturday?” 

 

                “Zee and Faal invited us to dinner.”

 

                “Oh, I had no idea you had gotten close.”

 

                “They gave me some good advice with regards to my son and since he’s here they wanted to meet him.  The dinner will be less formal I suppose and since Jenny and Gus will be there at least he’ll have someone to talk to.”

 

I nod and smile.

 

                “I’ll get your teas.  Won’t be long.”

 

As I head back to the kitchen Michael is frantically gesturing at me.

 

                “What are you doing Michael?”

 

                “What am I doing, what are you doing letting him in here and acting all cosy!”

 

                “I am serving a customer his teas, which reminds me.”

 

I head back to them and apologise for the wait before heading back to my idiotic son.

 

                “Look Michael, are you going to the perspective tonight because David is going to be there and he’s also going to be at the dinner on Saturday but he’s bringing his son!”

 

                “Who invited him to that?!”  He hisses

 

                “The dinner Zee and Faal I suppose.  Anyway, are you going to be at them?”

 

                “Tonight no, but definitely dinner on Saturday, I wouldn’t miss that for the world.” 

 

He is smirking again, that same smirk he had when he was toasting Ted and Justin, what fresh fucking hell is he up to this time.

 

The diner is busier than usual and I am rushed off my feet, luckily Kiki is on time and I can go home and rest up.  When I get there, not only is Brian, Faal, Emmett and Ben there with Carl but also Mel and Ted, they all stop talking and look at me.

 

                “What are you lot doing here, I thought you had a lot of catching up to do at Kinnetic?”

 

                “We do but we’re on a break and…”  Emmett babbles.

 

                “Stop it, stop the bullshit!  You all are going to sit down and tell me exactly what the fuck is going on.  You’ve not mentioned the list to Michael nor what he did to Alice and Faal when are you so cosy with my son’s ex.  Nobody but nobody is leaving until you tell me, I don’t care what it is just tell me!”

 

They all exchange looks.

 

                “Red sit down.  You’re not going to like it.”

 

An hour later I am still sitting down in staring at them.  Brian is biting his lip and looking very worried.

 

                “You said I would always have you no matter what…”

 

                “And you do and you will.  Now come on we have a Sunshine to support!  Oh one more thing you know that creepy smile he had on his face during the toast he made on Sunday well he had it again today when I mentioned that David was going to be at the dinner.”

 

                “Thanks for the heads up at least we’re prepared for whatever…”  Brian lets out a breath.  “And speaking of heads ups, Lindz came to see me today bleating about Gus and how we are…”

 

                “Are you kidding me?”  Mel explodes.  “She just can’t leave stuff that doesn’t fucking concern her alone!  Maybe it’s time…”

 

She takes a breath and sighs and smiles tiredly.

 

PERSPECTIVE

 

JUSTIN

 

I don’t know why I get so nervous at these things, it’s not as if I haven’t done them before.  Oh crap here’s another critic, time to put smile on face. 

 

The family are here milling about, I am not sure what Lindz was expecting in Zee and Faal but the way she is batting her eyes at Faal is a little nauseating to watch and Mel is rolling her eyes, Faal is just ignoring her and whispering in Zee’s ear making her squirm..

 

Thankfully there’s no Michael but he’s going to be at the dinner.  With Debs fully behind what we are going to do it should be an interesting evening.  Ah thank goodness it’s almost at an end time for my speech.

 

                “Ladies and gentlemen, thank you so much for coming and supporting me.  I will make this quick as I am not one for flowery speeches.  But I want give special thanks to some people who have encouraged me in my art.  My mom Jennifer, my other mom Debs who sat me down and talked me out of quitting all those years ago by digging it out of the garbage and of course Brian, my muse, my confidant and my forever.”

 

There is applause and I look across and see a very strange expression on Lindz’s face but go find Brian who seems to have disappeared…typical.

 

LINDZ

 

I am speechless!

 

                “Did you hear that?”  I ask Mel

 

                “What?”

 

                “Exactly I wasn’t mentioned once!  If it wasn’t for me he wouldn’t have gone to New York!”

 

                “And if it wasn’t for you, Brian wouldn’t have been miserable for 3 years either!” 

 

Mel snaps and walks away.

 

JUSTIN

 

Finally the last of the press has gone and it is just some patrons and the family here.  I find mom and Debs talking amongst themselves so head towards them.

 

                “Have you seen Brian?”

 

                “He’s ah there he is.”  Mom says.

 

                “Did I miss it?  Did I miss your speech?” 

 

I slap him in the chest. 

 

                “Yes you did, but its okay I didn’t blow too much smoke up your ass, I just called you my muse, my confidant and my forever.”

 

He smiles and kisses my temple, his lips linger on my scar he’s looking at me strangely.

 

                “Hey you okay?  What’s that look for?” 

 

                “Hmm, what look?  The “I am so proud of you look” or the “I love you so much will you marry me look” or the “you’ve beaten them again look” or the…”

 

I let out a little squeak and look at him, mom and Deb are stunned.

 

                “C-can you say that again?”  I stammer

 

                “I am so proud of you?”

 

                “No.”

 

                “You’ve beaten them?”

 

                “Brian, d-don’t.”  I start to hiccup.

 

                “Oh.  I love you so much will you marry me?  That one?”

 

I nod and he wipes my tears away.

 

                “With of course the permission of Mother Taylor?  And contingent on ma giving me away?  Will you marry me?”

 

                “Mom?”  I ask tremulously.

 

                “Yes, of course you have my permission!”  She hiccups

 

                “Ma?”

 

                “As if you have to ask!”  She sniffles.

 

                “Then yes I will marry you.”

 

                “Thank God!”  He sighs and kisses me.

 

                “If they had said no we would’ve eloped anyway!”  I tell him kissing him back.

 

FAAL

 

                “Well my darling we are going to have to get you a nice dress.”

 

Zee who was talking to Carl turns to me in confusion.

 

                “What on earth for?”

 

I pull her into my chest and point at Brian and Justin.

 

                “Fuck, you are kidding me and I missed it!”  She mutters.

 

Brian looks up and comes towards us with Justin grinning like a fool.

 

                “Keep forgetting the lip reading thing.  Can you keep it quiet until the dinner want to announce it formally then if you don’t mind still hosting?”

 

                “It will be our pleasure, though Justin might need to practice his poker face.”  Zee points out.

 

He pokes his tongue out at her and snuggles into Brian’s side.

 

SATURDAY EVENING

 

TREEHOUSE

 

FAAL

 

                “Right is everything set, everyone on their way?”

 

Brian looks a little subdued; Debs takes his face in her hand and turns him to look her,

 

                “You still have me, you still have us, you still have family, it’s time, honey it’s time.”

 

He nods and surrenders to the hug and then grabs Justin and they disappear upstairs.  I grin at Debs.

 

                “Well whatever it takes!”  She cackles

 

The door goes and more people pile in.  Emmy Lou immediately heads to the kitchen and pours himself a glass of champagne, he waves the bottle round and hands go up.

 

                “Back kitchen?”  He asks.

 

                “Yep, bring pink out as well.”

 

He brings out bottles and glasses and most follow him to the lounge.

 

                “Well Emmett seems to have made himself very comfortable in your home Faal.”  Lindz simpers

 

                “Emmy Lou is always welcome here.”

 

Zee smiles as I deliberately and slowly removes her hand from my arm, Lindz does not look happy.

 

The kids have all been introduced and they seem to be getting on fine, bonding over making cookies for dessert.  Jenny finally go the entire recipe out of Zee after badgering for a good 30 minutes at top volume!

 

Again the door goes and Michael comes in and again with that creepy smile.

 

                “Hi Honeybun, how’s my favourite girl been?”  He says trying to hug her.

 

                “I don’t know why don’t you find her and ask her!”  She snaps and moves away.

 

Okay this is unexpected.  Mel and Lindz exchange looks.

 

                “Jenny what’s wrong?”  He asks.

 

                “I know what you said and that you lied and lied and I will never ever forgive you!  Leave me alone!” 

 

                “What are you talking about Jenny, I don’t like this tone you have been taking with me recently, seems you’ve been spending too much time with Hunter well…”

 

                “Don’t you fucking dare, you don’t have the right to speak his name!  He’s worth a million of you!  Do you have any idea how much I want to fucking hit you?  You don’t want Hunter to be in my life well tough shit you don’t get a say as I don’t want you in mine ever again!”  Her voice is rising.

 

                “Jenny, sweetheart just calm down.  Michael be elsewhere you are clearly upsetting her!” 

 

Debs gets between her and Michael and he eventually moves away.

 

                “Now honey what the hell was that about?”  Mel demands.

 

                “Like I said I don’t want him as a father I just want you, momma and papa to be my parents!”

 

                “Now just a minute…!”  Michael shouts.  “I haven’t done anything to Hunter!”

 

                “So Matt punched you for nothing did he?!” 

 

Oh shit how did she find out?

 

                “J do you know what he said?” 

 

We all whirl round to see Hunter in the doorway followed by Ben and Matt.

 

                “Yes and its really bad.”

 

                “Hunter, don’t ask her to tell you because she will.  If you love me please don’t ask her.” 

 

Matt begs with tears in his eyes.

 

                “Hunter, please just let it go, you have us, please.”   Ben is looking into his eyes pleading.

 

                “Okay.  But only because I can imagine what you said and I love her too much to make her repeat it.”

 

I let out the breath I was holding. 

 

                “Okay don’t know about anyone else but I really need a drink!” 

 

I drag Hunter, Matt and Ben along with me and Zee must have seen the look on my face as she is immediately at my side.

 

                “What happened?”

 

                “Jenny just disowned Michael.”

 

                “Fuck!”  She breathes.

 

                “I need another one of these and with brandy!”

 

As I head back to the kitchen I pass a steaming Michael and sympathetic Lindz and find Mel and Debs trying to console Jenny whilst Gus and Hank look helplessly on.

 

                “Why don’t you boys go join Hunter and Matt, think they are setting up video games?”

 

They make a swift and grateful departure.

 

                “Who are you and what the fuck are you talking about you imbecilic little man?!” 

 

                “Oh Christ what the fuck has he done now?!”  Debs wails

 

We dash to the lounge where we find Michael standing toe to toe with David’s guest.

 

                “I’m just warning you to be careful of your money with him.  Don’t lend him anything.  Oh and David I give you fair warning, I am going to sue you for my money back.”

 

                “Is this him?  This is what you dated before me?  Glad to see your taste has improved.  Now, Michael isn’t it, I am a lawyer and have looked over the emails that you sent to David and you can try and sue but believe me you won’t win…now I would caution you against another word, I dislike it when people accuse my partner of things he has not done, it makes me very litigious.” 

 

                “Are you threatening me because…”

 

                “Oh shut up and go and get a drink Michael, you’re pathetic!”  David snaps and turns away.

 

He stomps to the cart and pours himself a large drink, he’s scanning the room and when he settles on Ted he gets that look again.  Lindz joins him and they twitter like angry vultures amongst themselves.

 

A giggle heralds the return of Brian and Justin who definitely look well fucked. 

 

                “Feeling better?”  Debs chortles

 

                “Much.  Is he here?”  Brian asks.

 

                “Yep and you’ve already missed two dust ups.  Jenny disowned him – somehow she found out what he said about Hunter and David’s friend gave him the lawyer speech and David called him pathetic.  And he’s still got that look on his face whenever he looks at Ted and Justin, so creepily smug.”

 

I tap the glasses and nod my head up, Debs calls the kids back down.

 

                “Ladies and gentlemen get your glasses filled and quickly now that they are finally here!”

 

Justin blushes and accepts the glass of champagne from Emmy Lou as does Brian, he also gives glasses to the kids. 

 

“Right, a toast to the man of the hour Justin Taylor and his muse, confidante and forever Brian!”

 

                “To Brian and Justin!”  We all cry.

 

Justin holds up his hand and dials a number and puts it on speaker and then puts it on hold.

 

                “Now, I would like Gus, Ted, Hunter and Faal to step forward please?  Brian demands.

 

We look at each other in confusion.  Brian bites his lip nervously and his eyes start to glisten.  Oh he’s not!

 

                “It would be my great honour if you would accept my invitation to be part of my wedding as ring bearer, best man and ushers.”

 

                “Please can Jenny, Emmy Lou and Zee step forward and Daphne can you hear me?”  Justin calls out

 

                “Yes!”

 

I look across at Zee and she’s in shock.

 

                “It would be my great honour if you would accept my invitation to be part of my wedding as ring bearer and ushers and best woman.

 

The room is completely silent.

 

                “This is where you answer?”  Brian prompts.

 

The first thing we hear is a scream from the phone.

 

                “That’s a yes from Daphne I take it?”  Jennifer asks.

 

                “Answer dammit!  We don’t want them eloping for crying out loud!”  Debs is crying and yelling.

 

                “Bri, I don’t know what, uh yes it would be an honour yes!”  Ted stammers.

 

Gus, Jenny and Hunter are jumping up and down hugging each other, Emmy Lou is crying and nodding.

 

                “Well guys this is the first time I have seen my wife rendered speechless, but trust me it’s a yes from both of us!”

 

                “No way, no fucking way is this going to fucking happen!”  Michael bellows.

 

                “Kids go upstairs, go!  Hunter, Matt you too!”  Faal orders.  “David and Charles would you mind?”

 

They shake their heads and swiftly depart and close the door behind them.

 

                “Brian you cannot be serious about marrying this cheating whore and having his lover as your best man!”

 

                “What?!”  Ted shouts.  “Justin and I aren’t lovers!”

 

                “Don’t lie to us, how could you do that to him, how long has it been going on?”  Michael sneers.

 

                “Michael have you lost your fucking mind?!” Jennifer shouts.

 

                “No I heard them, listen Brian, I heard them plotting to leave after the perspective!”

 

Justin and Ted exchange looks.

 

                “Oh don’t play the ingénue with me Boy Wonder!  You and Ted were in the bathroom in Woody’s in a stall and laughing about how you had to keep together until after the perspective and then it would be over!  Do you deny that?”

 

                “No we don’t deny that.”

 

                “Justin…”  Jennifer begins.

 

                “But we weren’t talking about Brian or Blake we were talking about you.”  Ted answers

 

                “Me?  What about me?”

 

                “How after the perspective you will no longer be part of our lives.”  Justin replies.

 

                “What are you talking about I will always be part of Brian’s life he’s my…”

 

                “No you won’t and no I’m not.  I haven’t been your best friend since I realised I love Justin and you haven’t been mine since you realised that too.  You’ve used and abused our friendship, abused my trust, disrespected my partner and soon to be husband, you even wished him dead, yeah they all know that now, meted out unnecessary hurt on Hunter especially planning your lives without him, didn’t care when ma fainted, assaulted Alice so now we’re done.  I am done with you.”

 

He swallows down the rest of his drink and pours another one, then nods at Mel.

 

                “Michael how much of the money that Brian and Justin lent to you do you have left?”

 

                “That’s none of your business Mel!”  Lindz objects.

 

                “And this conversation is none of yours so shut up!”  Mel barks.

 

                “Why do you need to know that?”

 

                “Because now that the store and its contents has been forfeited you need to live of that.  In answer to your next question, they became the property of Brian and Justin the moment the payments stopped…”

 

                “The payments weren’t stopped Ben was paying them…”

 

                “But the agreement between clearly states that the payment had to come from you or you would have to forfeit the store and contents or repay the full amount you borrowed back.  And since you tricked Ben into making the payments instead of you when he found out he stopped paying.  He also stopped paying his part of the mortgage, but I am sure the new store owners will let him off that.  Oh tricking someone into paying someone into paying for something is technically called fraud, just a heads up.  As for the food bill, you will need to repay the money for the things you ordered, which comes to almost $5,000 – you have expensive tastes.”

 

                “You can’t be serious, you can’t do this to me Brian!”

 

                “I’m not finished Michael.  You have hurt each and every person in this room with your jealousy, selfishness and spite.  And I will never forgive you for what you did to Jenny, and if she is serious about wanting you out of her life, I will take steps to make sure that happens.  Ted.”

 

                “Michael, I have already ripped you a new asshole so that doesn’t need to happen again but I have taken measures to ensure that you can’t touch Ben financially, if you so much as try I have tied it up in enough red tape that it will take years to untangle and at the end of it Ben will still be fine.  Ben.”

 

“Michael.  Grow up and hope that Jenny forgives you.  Ems.”

 

                “You used and abused my trust and my friendship like you’ve done to everyone else especially Brian because of some stupid notion that he owes you.  Nobody owes you a friendship!  And the hurt your caused to Baby was relentless.  You show no remorse for the things you do and you hurt my littlest and I will never forgive you for all you have done.  Debs.”

 

                “Michael you’re my son and for that reason alone I love you, but I can’t forgive what you have done to the boys, Hunter and Jenny and I especially can’t forgive the disrespect you have continued to show Carl.  Don’t even think of coming home as you have no home to come to.  Sunshine.”

 

                “Michael, I hate you, I hate what you did to Brian with every fibre in my being.  I cannot wait to see the back of you.  Come near Brian or I again and I will break you in half.”

 

                “Guys you can’t seriously be treating Michael like this.  He’s Jenny’s father!  Brian I won’t allow you to do this!”  Lindz yells.

 

                “Allow you won’t allow.  Who says you get a choice in the matter?”  Jennifer snaps.  “I would caution you against answering, I am a much better WASP than you!”

 

Michael is standing in silence, just staring at the ground in shock. 

 

                “But, you can’t do this Brian, you can’t!”

 

                “Can and have!  And don’t think of going back to the store the locks have been changed.  Your personal belongings have been removed and are waiting for you in the service car at the end of the road….can you understand the irony there Mikey?”

 

                “But all of my collectibles, they are mine you can’t take them away from me!”  He starts to cry.

 

Brian looks at him unmoved.

 

                “Not going to work Michael, you’ve used them too many times.  Now what part of forfeited didn’t you understand?”

 

                “You really are a cold hearted bastard!  Jack should’ve done a better job of beating…” 

 

The slap echoes round the room like a gunshot and he falls to the floor.  Alice is standing over him eyes blazing and ready to hit him again.

 

“Alice stop!  He’s not worth it!”  Brian calls out his voice surprisingly strong.

 

“Brian I didn’t…”  Michael whimpers from the floor.

 

“Yes you did Michael, yes you did and you always do.”  Justin growls.

 

I look at Zee and she nods, I have more restraint than she does and besides blood is a bitch to get out of sheepskin.  I pick Michael up and drag him out to the front door.

 

                “Now it is with great pleasure that I tell you to get the fuck out of our house!  Vince get rid of this please?”

 

Vince nods and drags Michael away with him calling Brian’s name.

 

I head back to the lounge and find everyone surprisingly relaxed, all accept Lindz who is looking shell-shocked.

 

                “Emmy Lou more bubbles I think.  Yes?”

 

                “Wait!  Mel…”

 

                “Lindz, I am going to say this once.  If you don’t wind your fucking neck in over Brian we are done!”

 

Lindz goes silent and sulks, which is a relief as that means she’s not simpering over me.

 

                “Wind your neck in?”  Brian laughs.  “Where’d you hear that?  I like it!”

 

                “That would be me.  Said it to that fucking ingrate when he wanted to use my Brownstone to discuss his problems with David, because it was closer.”  Zee snorts indignantly.

 

                “Oh shit speaking of David, we should really call them back in now!”

 

I head up to the second lounge and tell them it’s safe to come in now.  None of them say anything when they notice that Michael is not there.

 

                “Right come along commis let’s get this food show on the road!”  Zee calls out.

 

                “So what do we have on this auspicious occasion?” 

 

                “Well since everyone liked it the last time, it is the vegan first course, then for a palate cleanser, there is courgette sorbet with an aquavit shot, tuna tartare, Hunter try Matt’s first, short ribs with medley of vegetables, string fries, onion rings and for dessert popping candy ice cream and cookies.  And as much booze as you want, that okay with you guys?  Oh and Justin let the man eat, I will send you home with extra okay?”

 

Justin had the good grace to blush.  Conversation during dinner is easy flowing and everyone, well almost everyone is happy.

 

BRIAN

 

I look round the table don’t feel remotely sad that Michael is not here, my only worry is Lindz, but I hope she will indeed wind her neck in over me because she will lose everything.  I shake my head and bat Justin’s hand away from my plate then smile at Lilah who is purring very loudly as she eats her salmon in her usual spot under my chair.

 

                “Can I have your attention please?  I wish to make a toast, to family and to the end of one chapter and the beginning of another!” 

 

We all raise our glasses and cheer. 

 

After eating we head to the lounge and slump down, the kids have gone upstairs again and we are sipping on brandies.

 

                “I am so happy baby.  I love you.”  I whisper in his ear.

 

                “Me too, me too.”  He whispers back.

 

 

 

 

The End well for now…there’s the wedding and more after all.  More to come in the sequel The Buzz of the Wasp