Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 13 – AND A COLD WIND STARTS TO COME IN FROM THE NORTH…

 

DEBBIE & CARL’S HOUSE – WEDNESDAY LATE MORNING

 

DEBBIE

 

I look at Carl, he seems so preoccupied today.  I wonder what happened after I left to see Michael, which reminds me I must pay that little asshole a visit.

 

                “Carl honey, is everything okay?”

 

He jerks up in surprise and gives me a small smile.

 

                “Yeah Red, you okay after last night?”  He starts to chuckle again.

 

I nod, grinning back at him, before I could say anything else the door knocks and Emmett comes in with tears streaming down his face.

 

                “How could you not tell me?  Now start from the top!”  He demands.

 

We both look at each other in confusion; his shoulders are heaving and he is gasping for breath.

 

                “Te-tell me exactly how you managed to crush the mighty Captain Astro!”

 

I get him a coffee and begin.

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t believe what has happened, Captain Astro’s left side is totally destroyed.   I have been on the phone all morning trying to get a restorer to see what they can do, just waiting for one to call me back.  As for the racks and comics, the comics are gone but the rest is salvageable.  I am brought out of my thoughts by the doorbell going and am face to face with Brian, who looks tired.

 

                “Hey Brian, jeez you look like shit!”

 

                “Thanks for that Mikey.  What the hell happened?” 

 

                “Ma happened?”

 

                “What?”

 

                “Oh she fainted.  Oh hang on I have to get this.  Hello?  Yes, this is he.  You can!  That’s great, look can I call you back thanks!”

 

I turn back to Brian who is waiting for me to end the call.

 

                “Well?”

 

                “Oh that was a restorer they think they can help fix the Captain, isn’t that great?”

 

Brian just stares at me shakes his head and walks out.  I wonder what crawled up his ass but right now I have to call the restorer back.

 

DEBBIE & CARL’S HOUSE

 

BRIAN

 

                “Ma you here!”  I bellow.

 

                “Here, honey, what wrong now?”

 

He runs his hands down my arms and looks me over.

 

                “Nothing.  Michael said you fainted, you okay?”

 

They all start to laugh.

 

                “Oh honey, tell it again, this story bears repeating.”  Emmett guffaws as he gets Brian a coffee.

 

An hour later, Brian is grinning and heading to work. Carl walked out with him and after a brief chat he comes back inside.

 

                “Okay spill it.  Spill it right now Mr Horvath what is going on!”

 

He and Emmett exchange a look its quick, aha time to work on Emmett.

 

                “Emmett, sweetheart, don’t make me play hardball just spit it out!” 

 

                “Michael gave David £50K from the money he got from Brian and Justin.”

 

                “What the fuck for?”

 

Emmett shrugs.

 

                “That’s all I know Debs and I only found that out from a little bit of eavesdropping.  Look I have to go, I have a client meeting bye.”

 

And with that he is gone.

 

                “That’s all I know too sweetheart.”  He holds up his hands.  “I’m gonna be late you make sure you get plenty of rest okay.  Oh and one more thing Brian said not to mention the list to Michael he wants to deal with it okay?”

 

I nod and sink down into my seat.

 

                “Red, sweetheart promise me you won’t go to Michael about the food thing?”

 

                “I promise, you go to work honey.”

 

I gather up the crockery and put them in the sink, time to have a word with my asshole dumbfuck of a son.

 

BEN & HUNTER’S HOUSE

 

BEN

 

                “Hello?  Oh hi Zee, how are…um the payment is due this Thursday, no I cancelled it the moment I got home why?  Oh I see.  Okay.  See you and the rest of the family on Saturday…ah dinner, oh I think I may have dropped Faal in it.  Yeah I will leave you to deal with him.”

 

Oh dear I think Faal is in a bit of trouble.  I hear the thud of Hunter coming down the stairs, for a man so light he makes a lot of noise. 

 

                “Morning did…” 

 

                “Why does he hate me so much?”  He sobs.

 

                “What’s brought this on?”

 

I manoeuvre us to the sofa and stroke his hair trying to calm him.

 

                “Michael why does he hate me so much?”

 

I tense, not sure how to answer this but I am saved by the phone ringing, well almost it’s Michael, I send him to voicemail.  He looks at me and wipes his face.

 

                “I asked Matt what he said and he said he wouldn’t and couldn’t tell me.  So it must be bad and it must because he hates me, do you know why and what he said?”

 

                “Hunter, please don’t ask me to do this, I can’t hurt you, please?”

 

He nods and sniffles a bit before smiling at me.

 

                “You love me that much old man?”

 

                “Less of the old!  And yes, yes I do.  Now scoot and get dressed, you said you would visit Jennifer today right and are you and Matt spending the night here or at the loft?”

 

                “Yes to Nana Jen and we’re spending it at the loft, I’m going to be nervous enough first time topping without you doing it here!”

 

With that he runs up the stairs…then it hits me first.time.topping?

 

                “Hunter!”  I yell.

 

FAAL & ZEE’S BROWNSTONE

 

ZEE

 

                “Sweetheart, just spoke to Ben.”

 

                “Hmm, why?  Should I be worried?”  He kisses the back of my neck.

 

                “You are the only man for me, though you are dropping down the rungs right now.  Reason I called Ben was to make sure that he cancelled the payment before the next one is due…”

 

                “Oh I see.  Wait why I am dropping down the rungs, what have I done?”

 

                “Dinner.”  I stare at him pointedly.

 

                “Huh?”

 

                “Apparently the family are coming round to ours for dinner on Saturday?”

 

                “Oh, ah, yes that!  Well we can use the new house…it is ready isn’t it?”

 

                “Yeah apart from the fact the kitchen won’t be ready until next Wednesday…”

 

                “Next Wednesday I thought it was this Wednesday…shit my lig I am so sorry, I will call and cancel but…”

 

                “What have you done?”  I take his chin in my hands and make him look at me.

 

                “Well I may have mentioned the lamb cutlets and stuffed wings you do…and Justin’s eyes got real big and then Emmett wanted…”

 

                “Faal!  We cannot fit 14 people in here!  I know fixing up the new place isn’t much to you but…”

 

                “It is!  I misheard the date that is all I will call and cancel, we can do it next weekend maybe?”

 

He winds his arms round me and mutters his apologies in my ear, I am not quite ready to forgive him yet. 

 

                “Seriously you are giving me a heads up this time!  Start calling.  I have to go to the house.”

 

I pick my stuff up and leave.

 

KINNETIC

 

BRIAN

 

I am having a better day than I thought.  Justin is heading off after coming in to check on me and when I told him about the demise of Captain Astro it put that sunshine smile back on his face.  I heard a knock Bethany is at the door, she looks somewhat awestruck.

 

                “Um there is a Faal to see you?”

 

I smile and nod that he can be let in.

 

                “Bethany, he’s very much married.”

 

                “Damn.”  I hear her mutter

 

Faal comes in looking somewhat dejected.

 

                “I have upset her, she thinks I am uncaring about the house and she left me without a kiss, I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up on the sofa tonight.”  He sighs.

 

                “Start from the top.”

 

                “The dinner I invited you to will have to be cancelled because I didn’t realise that the Wednesday she was talking about for the kitchen finishing was next Wednesday not this and we can’t hold it in the Brownstone because there isn’t enough room and I will have disappointed Justin as well because he won’t get the food and…”

 

                “Britin has a kitchen.”

 

                “But we always are round at yours…”

 

                “Britin has a kitchen.  You wouldn’t want to disappoint Sunshine would you?  Let me work on your lovely wife okay?”

 

He goes to say something but I just shake my head at him.

 

                “It will be fine, now go and prepare to apologise properly, I suggest lots of flowers.”

 

I take him by the elbow and steer him out the door and pick up the phone.

 

                “Zee, its Brian, let him out the doghouse you can do it at Britin, he’s been raving proudly about your food, you know he wasn’t being inconsiderate he was just…thanks.   Oh and buckle up, I think you’re in for one hell of a ride!”

 

I go back to the rest of my day, must make that a 40% bonus for Cynthia – because of her I have two new true friends.

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL

 

I have finally managed to find someone to take the Captain to the restorers when the bell chimes and in comes Ma who has a face like thunder but before she can say anything the door chimes again and in comes David, I smile at him.

 

                “David!  Ma you remember David don’t you?”

 

                “Yes I do, how are you David, how long are you in town for?”  I am surprised by her cold tone.

 

                “Only a few more days and then I have to go back to my practice in Portland.”  He replies

 

                “Uh huh.”

 

                “How are you Debbie, you okay after your fainting spell?”

 

                “Yes I guess I just got a little overheated.  Where is it?”

 

                “Oh the Captain is on his way to the restorers they think they can fix him as good as new.” 

 

                “And how much is that going to cost you?”  She snarks.

 

What is her problem this morning? 

 

                “Um, let’s not talk about that right now, David did you want something?”

 

I need to get him out of here before she embarrasses me further.

 

                “Oh dinner tonight, I just wanted to know if you wanted to…”

 

The bell goes again and this time it is Faal, he freezes but then smiles.

 

                “Ah Debbie, how are you I understand that you fainted last night should you be up and about so soon?”  He asks.

 

                “I’m fine honey, don’t worry.  Who were you after?”  She asks patting his cheek.

 

                “You I wanted to let you know the family dinner is back on for Saturday.”

 

                “Oh great, so where’s it going to be held?”

 

                “Britin instead I got the dates wrong and it is not ready until next Thursday at least.”

 

                “What time?”  I ask.

 

They both turn to look at me in surprise.

 

                “What time’s the family dinner, David would love to come wouldn’t you?”  I turn to him.

 

He looks a little surprised by smiles in agreement.

 

                “Yes it would be nice to catch up with the old gang again.”   He replies.

 

                “I would have to check with my, my wife as it is her that’s cooking so…”

 

                “But it’s being held at Britin and oh sorry got to take this, it’s the restorers.  Ma let me know what time David and I should arrive.  Hello Michael Novotny speaking…”

 

DAVID

 

                “I think we have been summarily dismissed.”  I say to Debbie and her friend.

 

                “Yeah he’s good at that.”  Debbie mumbles and turns to the door.

 

                “Sorry my name is David Cameron and you are?”  I turn to her friend.

 

                “Faal Ugerstacht, pleased to make your acquaintance.”  He replies taking my outstretched hand.

 

                “An unusual name, where is it from?”

 

                “South Africa, Dutch origin.”  He explains as we all walk out the shop.

 

                “Well I’m heading to the diner, see if they need help.”  Debbie says

 

                “I’ll walk you I was heading that way anyway, was hoping Michael could join me for coffee, it would be nice to catch up with you Debbie, care to join us Faal?”

 

He nods and we take the short walk in silence.  Immediately, Debbie is sat down and told she is not working today, apparently a Carl had already called ahead she grimaces ruefully. 

 

                “He’s just looking out for you.  And he’s not the only one.”  Faal tells her

 

                “So what will it be?”  A waiter asks.

 

                “A mint tea for me, Debbie, Faal what would you like?”

 

                “Just water for me.”  Debbie replies and Faal waves away the offer.

 

                “So how have you been, what brings you back to the Pitts?”  She asks.

 

                “Just some business I need to take care of, I will be going back to Portland in a few days but back in the Pitts at the end of the month.  I understand that you are now a grandmother, twice over.”

 

                “Three times, Gus – he’s Brian’s boy, Jenny as you know is Michael’s and Hunter who is Ben and Michael’s son.”  She replies tersely.  “How’s your boy, Hank right?”

 

                “Yeah, we are going through a difficult patch at the moment, teenage boys can be such a handful.”  I sigh sadly.

 

                “Not all teenage boys.  I have a boy he’s great not a handful though he does have a habit of stealing stuff from me like getting inside my wardrobe…annoying when people get inside things they are not supposed to.”  He chuckles.

 

Before I can reply, Michael bustles in and sits with us and gives me a kiss on the cheek, I wince as I hate public displays like that.

 

                “So how long have been two been back in contact, it’s been years since you’ve seen each other?”  Debbie asks.

 

                “Been in contact for the last couple of years, but only just reconnected when I came to town, it has been very quick admittedly, but now without certain outside influences maybe we can make a proper go of things.”  I reply.

 

She nods and then frowns.

 

                “What made you get back in touch though?”  She asks.

 

Michael starts to say something.

 

                “Oh it was in Portland, Michael was at comic convention and bumped into Hank, he was bidding on something or other but lost out…Michael not Hank, there was no way I would let him bid that much for a collectible, I think it went for $60K, anyway Hank took his details and I called Michael to just catch up and here we are.”

 

                “What was it?”  Faal asks.

 

                “What was what?”  I reply

 

                “The thing that went for that much money?” 

 

I shrug and take a sip of my tea.

 

                “Michael sweetheart what was it?”  Debbie asks sweetly.

 

                “Ma, you know I don’t like talking about stuff I miss out on.”  He whines.

 

I inwardly sigh with relief; at least that means we don’t have to go through that conversation, suddenly my phone goes reminding me of my next appointment.

 

                “Sorry guys I have to go, it was nice to meet you Faal and to catch up with you again Debbie, see you Saturday.” 

 

I was gone before Michael could give me another kiss goodbye.  I take out my phone and make a call.

 

                “Charles how is it going is there any way round this at all?”

 

                “Not without that certificate or a letter signing them over to you no.  As your lawyer I have said it before, you need them before you can sign them over to me so I can liquidate the stock.  As your lover I need to know when you are coming home, I miss you.”

 

                “In a few days but then I have to be back here for the perspective I told you about, I am pretty sure I can have them by the end of the month and then we can get on with our lives, once Hank forgives me and I replace his college fund it will be fine.”

 

I sigh and hang up and head to hail a cab.

 

DINER

 

MICHAEL

 

I wait for Faal to leave before I round on ma.

 

                “What the hell was the 20 questions about ma?!”

 

                “What 20 questions, I asked 2 maybe 3 tops, you have to admit that it is a bit of a bolt from the blue for me.  And what gives you the right to invite yourself and him to dinner on Saturday?”

 

                “It’s a family dinner, I am family.  Look I have got to go.  See you later.”

 

I head back to the shop shaking my head.

 

FAAL

 

Okay, the dinner is cancelled there is no way in hell he is getting that close to her, need to call Brian.

 

                “Brian, it’s Faal, you are never going to believe who I just bumped into?  Yes indeed, no I am not fucking kidding and it gets worse, he was with Michael and Michael invited himself and him to dinner on Saturday!”

 

I am astonished when Brian starts to laugh, then he explains how this will be to our advantage.  He will speak to Zee and I chuckle and smile, Saturday will be very interesting indeed.

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL

 

I cannot believe the way ma was with David, it was so embarrassing it was like she was digging for dirt on the guy.  But at least we have dinner tonight, nothing can ruin my mood today, the Captain is going to be fixed and I have a man that can love me freely in my life.

 

                “Good morning Michael.” 

 

I hadn’t even heard the door open so was surprised to hear Ben’s voice. 

 

                “Ben.  What no stud muffin with you?”  I snark.  “Well since you’ve moved on so have I, now what did you want?”

 

                “For the…oh forget it you only hear what you want to hear anyways.  And since you’ve moved on that’s made what I was going to say easier, we need to tell Jenny that we are no longer together, it’s not fair to her to leave her in the dark like this.”

 

I stare at him in shock as I wasn’t expecting that.

 

                “Michael?  Did you hear me?”

 

                “I’ll tell her.”  I mumble

 

                “Maybe we should both tell her it might soften the blow a bit?” 

 

                “No Ben I will tell her, I think it will sound better coming from me.”

 

He nods and leaves.

 

BEN

 

I bet it will sound better coming from you.  I dial a number.

 

                “Hello Liberty Airlines how may I help you…”

 

TORONTO

 

LINDZ & MEL’S HOUSE – LATE EVENING

 

MEL

 

                “Are you expecting anybody Lindz?”

 

                “No.”  She calls from the kitchen and then heads to the door with me wiping her hands.

 

We’re both surprised to see Ben on the doorstep.

 

                “Ben!  What the hell are you doing here is everything okay?”  Lindz cries pulling him indoors.

 

                “Papa!  Where’s dad, what are you doing here?”  Jenny comes barrelling down the stairs

 

                “Hey sweetheart, Mel, Lindz nothing bad is wrong with anyone but I needed to do this face to face.”

 

                “You and dad are splitting up aren’t you?”

 

We all whirl round to Jenny.

 

                “Come on let’s sit down, would you like a coffee or something considerably stronger, I would go with stronger as that is what I am going to have!”  I tell him

 

He nods and Lindz is just sitting there in shock I think.

 

                “What happened?”  Jenny asks.

 

                “To be honest I don’t know.   First let me assure you there is no one else in my life right now.  But when I got sick and the way he was with Hunter, I just couldn’t let…”

 

                “Let him hurt him anymore?  I’m not blind papa, I know you and Hunter are closer maybe dad just felt excluded.  After all he must love Hunter in some way after he did what he did to get us both college funds right?”

 

                “College fund?  For Hunter what’s this about?”  Lindz has come out of her stupor.

 

                “Client attorney privilege prevents me from saying anything.”

 

 I reply quickly and hope she leaves it there but I know Lindz all too well.

 

                “But Mel…”

 

                “Let’s focus on the matter in hand shall we?”  I state firmly.

 

                “Will, will I still see you?”  She asks quietly.

 

                “Every chance I get.  Nothing is going to stop me and Hunter from being in your life for as long as you let us, and it is your choice okay.  You can call us whenever you like we will never ever stop loving you, do you hear?”

 

She nods tearfully and I nod at Lindz that we should leave them alone.

 

                “Mel what the hell is Brian doing giving money to Hunter like that?”  Lindz snaps

 

                “I don’t know but it’s their money to decide to do with what they will…”

 

                “But he should’ve discussed it with me…”  She gripes

 

                “Uh why?”  I am confused.

 

                “Because I am Gus’s mother.” 

 

                “Okay but the money was for Hunter not Gus, so he discussed it with the people that mattered, so that will be Hunter, Michael, Ben and Justin…”

 

                “Justin what does Justin have to do with this?” 

 

I see she is on her roll again, I just want to shake her until the wasps in her head stop buzzing!

 

                “Because Justin is Brian’s partner that’s why.  Now let’s go make up a bed for Ben I am sure he’s tired.”

 

RED CAPE COMICS – LATE EVENING SAME TIME

 

DAVID

 

                “Michael as much as I love your company, why do we always meet here, why can’t we go to the poolhouse?” 

 

                “Huh?”

 

                “You okay you seem a little preoccupied?”

 

                “Oh nothing.  Well I spoke to Ben earlier and he says we should tell Jenny about us splitting up…”

 

                “He’s right though unless you think you are going to get back together?”

 

                “What oh no that won’t happen now that you are back in my life.”  He smiles.  “It’s just that Jenny will be so disappointed in him when he abandons her.”

 

                “Abandons her, what makes you think he will do that?”

 

                “Well look how quickly he moved on from me and threw me out of the house…”

 

                “At the risk of being the devil’s advocate with an agenda haven’t you done the same thing?  Moving on I mean?”

 

                “But at least I had the decency to wait until the marriage was done.”

 

I shrug and take another sip of wine, at least this time I am not wearing a good suit.  Now as much as I love a romantic setting for a meal, inside the comic book store is not my idea of romance but at least that statue is out of here for now, it took everything not to cry with laughter when he almost burst into tears when the arm broke!

 

                “Are you looking forward to Saturday meeting up with the old gang again?”  He asks.              “Why didn’t you want me to tell you about them, what they are up to I mean?”

 

                “I want to find out from them, have a conversation especially with Brian.” 

 

I smile smugly, it will be fun to see how he has grown up or in his case not from what Michael’s told me.

 

                “You’ll be surprised.”  He grins at me.

 

                “I still can’t believe that Justin and Brian are still together…”

 

                “Me neither.”  He mutters crossly

 

                “I could see the attraction with Brian for Justin but never the other way round…”

 

                “What do you mean?”  He asks somewhat sharply.

 

                “Well I have not kept up with any of their business but you have to admit that he was a very good looking boy.”

 

                “If you like that kind of thing.  So enough about them, you’ll find out everything you need to know on Saturday, so how were your meetings today?”

 

FAAL & ZEE’S BROWNSTONE

 

FAAL

 

                “Is there a contrite husband behind that floral garden?  If so he needs to come taste something.”

 

I put the flowers down and she’s holding an egg, it looks like a boiled egg.  I look at her hopefully.

 

                “Taste it.”

 

I take it from her and take a spoonful, I am in heaven, because it is scrambled egg with truffles and finely chopped asparagus….my “you’re forgiven” egg.

 

                “Oh my goodness, ooh my goodness this is good!” 

 

        “Does it need salt or black pepper or shall I just let them add it themselves?  And I will be doing it with duck scrambled if you don’t mind sharing?” 

 

She asks turning back to the papers in front of her.

 

                “Do nothing other than what you have done, my lig, it is perfect.”

 

I walk behind her and put my arms round her waist, she doesn’t move away and she’s given me food to eat this is good! 

 

                “I am truly sorry, I…”

 

My apology is stopped by her swiftly turning round and kissing me softly at first and then deepening it, I reach behind her to switch off the stove.

 

                “What did you do that for?”  She gasps when we come up for air and switches the burners back on.

 

                “I happen to like kissing you when there is no danger of you being scalded.”

 

 I reply nuzzling her neck.

 

                “Pfft!  Now taste this – I am not sure about it.”  She hands me what looks like a scotch egg.

 

                “Another egg dish?  Okay sorry am eating.”  I frown at her.

 

                “Yeah I wasn’t feeling that either, right that’s cut.  Oh check the wings for me, I am going for 3 levels of spice and I thought I would do an oxtail burger, though not tell them that until they eat it, obviously the lamb and a fish dish and have a vegan first course, because the rest are going to be rich and going to do the sorbet bomb you guys like and…”

 

She trails off when she notice my smile and predatory look.

 

                “Oh no, you got me into this dinner you are helping out.  Recipe testing then we fuck!”

 

I chuckle and like a good little sous chef get out the wings.

 

THE LOFT – WEDNESDAY NIGHT

 

HUNTER

 

Okay he screamed the place down and I don’t think I can’t feel anything below the waist.

 

                “So, uh, now what?”  I pant into his neck.

 

                “Ho-hold the condom at the base and slowly withdraw not letting go of it, tie it off and bin it.”

 

Slowly I do as he says and make my way to the bathroom on legs like jello, I can hear him chuckling.

 

                “I think we need water and we definitely need to change the sheets.”  He croaks.

 

He slowly turns over and sits up, it’s my turn to laugh as he’s not walking any better.  He takes the water from me and drains the rest.

 

                “That was awesome, thank you for being my first.”  He mumbles and then looks away.

 

                “You’re…your first?!  Oh wow, um are you okay, you sore?”

 

                “A bit.”  He admits.

 

                “Okay.  Let’s sort the bed, have a shower and I can take of your tender bits.”

 

He pulls me into the bedroom.

 

MEL & LINDZ HOUSE – THURSDAY MORNING

 

BEN

 

                “Thanks for letting me stay I could’ve found a hotel.”

 

                “Don’t be silly Ben, you are Jenny’s papa.  What time’s your flight?”  Mel asks.

 

                “Not until 1230.  She’s taking it pretty well I think.”

 

                “To be honest I am not surprised that you have split.”

 

I am surprised at that.

 

                “Care to share?”

 

                “You started to fight back.  You started to call him on his shit, when he said that he wanted to look after Hunter’s money and you put your foot down you should’ve seen his face.  He was pissed I mean seriously fucked off.  And then that’s when I knew you would always look after Hunter and be like Brian, putting his son first so to have one person do it is one thing but two...”

 

                “He’s my boy and some of the…”

 

                “Yeah Jenny and Gus have been talking.  And I sometimes overhear.  Is it true about the loft, what Brian did?”

 

I nod and sigh

 

                “Why does he let everyone think he’s an asshole?”

 

                “It’s easier.  I think the only people that see him truly are Justin and Gus.”  I reply.

 

                “I see the true Peter all the time.” 

 

We are startled as we didn’t hear Lindz come in, she has a dreamy expression on her face.  We exchange glances, roll our eyes and say nothing.

 

KINNETIC – MID-MORNING THURSDAY

 

BRIAN

 

It has been a busy day, we had two client meetings, which of course we signed and I have been avoiding calls from Lindz not sure what she wants and I have no desire to find out.

 

I am interrupted by celebratory thoughts with Justin by Ted knocking on the door.

 

                “Got a minute?”  He asks.

 

I motion for him to sit down and he looks nervous.

 

                “Out with it.”

 

                “Well, I was just wondering how Ben was after you know…”

 

                “A lot better, why?”

 

                “Well it’s just that payment for the loan hasn’t arrived and I was wondering.”

 

                “He’s changed banks and told me he would pay it manually.”  I reassure him

 

He nods and releases the breath he’s been holding and leaves.

 

BEN & HUNTER’S HOUSE – THURSDAY EVENING

 

BEN

 

I am not going to make a big deal out of this.  He was most probably joking and trying to shock. 

 

I come into the house all ready to be cool dad and find him and Matt on the sofa with an ice pack between Hunter’s legs.

 

                “Hey son what happened?”

 

                “He broke it.”  He whimpered batting Matt’s hands from the ice pack.  “You have done enough!”

 

                “How?”

 

                “Look at him, he’s got a good 50 pounds on me!  In short, he bounced too hard during a reverse cowgirl!”  He snaps.

 

I fight the urge to laugh out loud.

 

FAAL & ZEE’S BROWNSTONE – FRIDAY MORNING

 

ZEE

 

                “Okay let’s get shit done.”

 

Matt comes down looking disconsolate, Faal and I exchange glances and shrug.

 

                “I broke his dick okay!”  He yells and storms out.

 

By lunchtime it is round most of the family and unhelpful and embarrassing advice abounds.  Time to call in the cavalry.  I call Hunter and Matt to the loft and wait.  When the buzzer goes I let in my saviour.

 

                “Are there any noticeable bruises, is here blood in your piss, have you tried wanking?” 

 

Brian asks as only he can, they look at him dumbstruck.

 

                “You put ice on it immediately right?”

 

They nod.

 

                “So unless there is a bruise you haven’t ruptured it…this is where you go check!”

 

They shuffle off mortified but 10 minutes later they come back looking very pleased.

 

                “All in working order I assume, then my work here is done!”

 

Seriously love the bones of the guy never as much as Faal but like a brother. 

 

SATURDAY EARLY AFTERNOON

 

FAAL & ZEE’S BROWNSTONE

 

ZEE

 

                “Seriously you put your nose in that tub one more time!”

 

                “Neuken!”  He yelps

 

                “Ah channelling your Dutch side are we?  Though I have to admit fuck in Dutch does sound a lot better than in English.”

 

He wraps his arms round me and sighs happily. 

 

                “You have everything?” 

 

I nod and smile, he has no idea of what everything I have.

 

We head out having called the commis in advance, by which I mean Debbie and Emmett.  Faal in his naiveté mentioned to Emmett about the scrambled eggs and the next thing I knew he was “helping the prep”, well he can plot and scheme as much as he wants that’s one recipe he’s not getting that is for my boys alone.

 

Once we get to Britin, Justin is vibrating with pleasure, I have to stop him three times from hiding tubs of wings and cutlets and the “surprise box”.  In the end I have to threaten to use a hose on him to get him to behave.  I am not sure who it was that said he looks adorable when he pouts about food but they are right.

 

                “First things first, we need music.”  I say and dock my iPod.

 

They look warily at me but before long they are bopping their heads to 70s soul and funk.

 

                “Wow Debbie you wind those hips wind them!”  I whoop as Earth Wind and Fire blare out.

 

                “Emmett for the love of fucking God will you put the notebook away and just help I’ll tell you after!”

 

He has the good grace to look embarrassed.

 

                “Hey Alice did you get the troughs?”

 

She nods though looks confused.

 

                “Okay as much ice as you can and dump it outside its cold enough for it to keep.  And the envelopes”

 

Again she nods.

 

                “So I think it would be best if we reverse the seating to what we normally do, so with Brian and Justin the other end so that you and I can do the plating and Deb can corral a certain blond gourmand deal?”

 

                “I was going to…”

 

                “We’re family and you and George are in this little melee, so put on your fancy duds got it?”

 

She sniffs and then muttering about troughs leaves.

 

                “Justin put that back!  I will call Brian I swear to God, seriously where the hell do you put it!”

 

I gripe as I wrangle him into the seat and the box out of his hands.

 

                “But it smells so good!” 

 

                “Oh for fuck sake Faal!”  I bellow.

 

He strolls in chuckling.

 

                “I told you, the moment I said stuffed wings his eyes got real big.”

 

                “Shut up!  Okay if it gets you to behave you can have a taster…”

 

I find myself engulfed in the arms of happy blond and happy caterer.  Once extracted I shake my head ruefully and set up the taster plate.  Even though I am bolshy I am anxious, Emmett is a caterer for fuck sake I cook for the fun of it.  My nerves aren’t being helped when Brian walks in.

 

                “What are you doing, we are eating…what’s that?”  He picks up a crystal roll and bites down.

 

                “Brian you aren’t part of the…”  Justin is stopped when Brian puts the rest of the roll in his mouth.

 

He turns to me and just grins and nods furiously and I turn to Emmett who is grinning equally hard.

 

                “I am not sure about the salt in the stuffing, can’t quite get that right.”

 

I mutter but then I hear the moans of appreciation so I relax and when Faal pulls me back into his chest, I know it is going to be okay…at least food wise.

 

DEBBIE & CARL’S HOUSE

 

MICHAEL

 

                “Hold the cab for a minute, it won’t take me long.”

 

I dash into the house and as luck would have it there is a tray of ziti thawing on the side, she must have forgotten to put it in the fridge, so I grab that, I am not sure what Zee is preparing and when people don’t like it then its Michael to the rescue!

 

BRITIN

 

BRIAN

 

There has to be an alternate universe where there is a massive sized Justin somewhere, if there isn’t then that’s just not right.  I head downstairs the family won’t be here for 90 minutes or so and I can hear the low hum of something lyrical.  Justin is standing by the entrance way to the kitchen and shushes me before I can say a word, I look at what he’s staring at and my jaw drops.  Now I don’t get straight love but I know love when I see it. 

 

                “Who’s singing?”  I whisper

 

                “Millie Jackson…Feeling Like a Woman.”  Justin replies.  “Seriously just look at that.”

 

To look at them you would think nothing is happening they are just dancing but if you know them you know they are singing to each other and moving as one.

 

                “The air just moves round them.  It’s amazing.”  He sighs.

 

I pull him into my arms and nod.  I feel a tinge of jealousy at their ease around each other but that is because of my own insecurities but I am overcoming them, the only man who was a father figure was Vic and now it is Carl and I so grateful.

 

                “I think we should um…”

 

I nod and pull him away from the door as they start to kiss.

 

We head to the lounge and then the next song comes up.

 

                “What is this?”  I chuckle nibbling his neck.

 

                “A-another Mill-Millie Jackson song…listen.”  He murmurs.

 

                “Where you going?”  I pout.

 

                “Listen.”

 

He heads to the console and turns up the volume and comes back into my arms

 

When I get home, babe

Gonna light your fire

All day, I've been thinkin' about you, babe

You're my one desire

Gonna wrap my arms around you

Hold you close to me

Oh, babe, I wanna taste your lips

I wanna fill your fantasy, yeah

 

I don't what I'd do without you, babe

Don't know where I'd be

You're not just another lover

No, you're everything to me

Every time I'm with you, baby

I can't believe it's true

When you're layin' in my arms

And you do the things you do

 

And I am kissing him now.

 

You can see it in my eyes

I can feel it in your touch

You don't have to say a thing

Just let me show how much

Love you, need you, yeah

 

And helping him out of his pants

 

I wanna kiss you all over

And over again

I wanna kiss you all over

Till the night closes in

Till the night closes in


Stay with me, lay with me

Holding me, loving me, baby

Here with me, near with me

Feeling you close to me, baby


So show me, show me ev'rything you do

'Cause baby, no one does it quite like you

Love you, need you, oh babe

 

And I am sucking him off and he’s making those little mewling noises that I love so much.


I wanna kiss you all over

And over again

I wanna kiss you all over

 

Till the night closes in

Till the night closes in

Till the night closes in

Till the night closes in

Till the night closes in

 

I am not sure when the song ended but I do know that I ended up with Justin gasping and shuddering in my arms and once again I have cum on his leg.

 

                “We need to clean up, have a shower and get us some Millie Jackson.”  He croaks.

 

I just nod and tug him up on his feet.  As we pass the kitchen I see that it is empty, I was wondering where they went when I heard a whimper and soft begging…the mud room got it.

 

1 HOUR LATER

 

KITCHEN

 

BRIAN

 

I am watching the chefs at work and marvel at them, Justin has been relegated to the far side of the kitchen because he kept taking food off the platters and Lilah is with him…neither are happy.  Zee takes pity on them and puts a plate on the floor for Lilah and give Justin a wing…a small one.

 

Suddenly some rap [or crap if I am being honest] comes on, apparently it’s called In Da Club, but all those thoughts are dispelled as Zee, Faal, Matt and Hunter have a dance off…and Zee and Faal are declared the winners.  Then I Just Had Sex follows, seriously this is a song, and everyone dedicates it to me until they actually listen to the words and dedicate it to Faal instead.

 

                “Okay what else?”

 

                “How hard do you want it big guy?”  Faal asks.

 

                “As hard as Justin wants.”

 

                “Weak very weak.  So Emmett, Justin shall we show our boys what time it is…”  Zee asks

 

She brushes me aside and selects a song then joins them in front of the stove.  For the next five or so minutes there is nothing but the music and hip shaking and swirling, bottom wiggling and air fucking to, what turns out to be, It’s Like That by Memphis Bleek I don’t care who it is all I know is that he had better be doing that every weekend!

 

                “What the hell are you guys doing?”  Our joy is crushed by the whine of Michael…great!

 

Everyone whirls to face him.

 

                “Hi uh sweetheart when did you get here? And what is that did you cook?”  Debs asks

 

Michael smiles and nods.

 

                “Just in case.”  He smirks.

 

Zee doesn’t react and neither does David…interesting.

 

                “Alright enough ass shaking…everyone to the dining room.”  Zee states

 

                “I need to heat this up first.”  Michael says.

 

                “Okay put it in the back oven in the mud room, I am using everything in here.”

 

I smile inwardly as Alice ignores him when he tries to give her the dish.  We all head to the dining room and we are astonished.  There is a beautiful arrangement down the centre and then curling round plates, there is a lot of greenery and glass buds with something or other in them not sure what they are.

 

                “This looks gorgeous!”  Jennifer sighs.

 

                “Well dig in!”  Faal says.

 

We all look at him.

 

                “First course.”  He explains taking up a bud of glass.  “Take it gently okay?”

 

                “This is all edible?”  Blake is, I do believe, drooling.

 

                “Yep, if you are scared try the salad.”  Faal explains walking round the table to something wrapped in orange.

 

For the next 20 minutes there is only the sounds of appreciation and wonderment.  Before we know it the table is bare and Zee and Alice are gone. 

 

                “Uh Brian I notice you have at least four of the crystal rolls on your plate…”  Carl teases.

 

                “Yes and you will also notice I have a Justin to my side…and I like my creature comforts.”

 

Everyone chuckles before raucous laughter ensues when he takes 3 of the rolls off my plate.  Everyone except Michael who didn’t try one thing…oh well his loss.

 

Faal and Alice come back in with envelopes that they hand to each of us with strict instructions not to open them yet…I take Justin’s away from him.  .

 

                “Well that’s novel…”  Michael snarks.  “Alice can you check on the ziti?”

 

                “No.”  George replies.  “You bought it you check it.”

 

We all watch as he leaves after throwing George a filthy look.

 

                “So everyone tell me what have you been up to, let’s…”

 

                “Oh that reminds me, why were you at my house David?  I was unfortunately out so I missed you.”  Emmett asks sweetly.

 

                “Your…”

 

                “Yes apparently you were after Michael, which struck me as strange as Drew and I live there and Michael had left that morning permanently.”  He continues as if he hasn’t spoken.  “I run a very successful catering business and of course you know Drew Boyd, ex-Ironman and my sweetie.”

 

He just nods and we hear a clang and cursing.

 

                “Well David, as you may know I’m Ben, Michael’s soon to be ex-husband.  I am a professor at Carnegie Mellon.  That’s Hunter down there and his boyfriend Matt, they met through Gus.”

 

They all go down the table and nods and starts to look increasingly annoyed.

 

                “So Justin tell me what you’ve been up to over the last few years?”  He asks

 

                “Painting.  I have had shown in New York, Paris, London and all over the world in fact and I have a perspective here at the end of the month.”

 

                “Just…Justin Taylor that’s you?”

 

He nods and tries to get the envelope off me, I bat away his hand again.

 

                “Ah I see, this is a beautiful house, you must…”  David begins

 

                “It is.  I still cannot believe Brian bought it for me…”

 

                “Brian bought it?”

 

                “Yes, you know that little agency that Ted works for well its mine called Kinnetic.  Justin stop you are not having it!”

 

                “Kin…”

 

                “We met during the week, remember David, Matt is the son I was telling you about and that beautiful woman with the eggs, trust me guys you will love them, is my wife and his mother Zee.”

 

We all wait with bated breath trying to gauge his reaction…nothing not a damn thing.

 

Faal tries again.

 

                “She runs a security operation called Stark Securities.”

 

                “Your part of the Stark family.   We die first, that’s you?”  David is gobsmacked.

 

Zee nods and waits, still nothing, she and I exchange glances and then she takes the floor.

 

                “Right before we start the mid-course, what did you think of the first?”

 

There are calls of approval and she looks so relieved.

 

                “What did you think you were eating?”

 

                “Definitely the shroom crystal rolls…seriously stealing.”  Emmett calls out.

 

                “Open envelopes.”

 

I stare at the menu card inside and hear Ben chuckle.

 

                “Vegan?  That was vegan?”  He asks.

 

                “Boiled eggs?  How novel.”  Michael has finally returned.

 

                “How’s your ziti?  Are you sure you don’t want to try anything?”  She asks sweetly.

 

He shakes his head and takes his seat back next to David.

 

                “Right, with the eggs they are already cracked so lift the lids and tell me what you smell?”

 

The room is filled with the heady mixture of egg and something else, something woody and rich. 

 

                “Justin, put the spoon down!”  Faal calls out.  “You have to guess first.  Quiet Emmett yes.”

 

Ah so my little gourmand was not here for this little treat.

 

                “I know that smell, oh my God truffles!”  Jennifer cries out.  “White or black?”

 

                “Black, I thought it would go better with the duck egg…now come on dig in.”

 

                “Hunter, try Matt’s first.”  Faal suggests and Hunter nods and then starts to eat his own.

 

The egg is scrambled perfectly and with the asparagus to offset it and the truffles it is perfection.  Justin is looking hopeful.

 

                “Next time eat slower.”  I tell him as I savour my egg.

 

                “Want in my ass give me some egg.”  He mutters reaching across.

 

                “Justin, there are fixings in the fridge, leave Brian’s alone!”  Alice calls down.

 

Everyone chuckles, well mostly everyone.

 

                “Again stealing.”  Emmett says between bites.

 

                “No, Emmett you are not, these are special so please leave these alone.”  Faal fixes him a stare.

 

Emmett nods and raises his glass in acquiescence.

 

                “Uh Debbie can you help with the main course, Carl you are on wrangling duties.  Use handcuffs if needs be.”  Alice teases looking at Justin

 

                “I am beginning to feel picked on!”  He pouts

 

                “Who was on the naughty stool earlier was that me or was that you and Lilah?”  She replies.

 

He pokes his tongue out at her.  We wait for about 10 minutes for them to come back with the main course and the envelopes.  There are cutlets, wings, some sort of meat and, judging by the winding at my feet, a fish dish.  Zee heads my way with a small plate with some food on it.

 

                “You’re owned Kinney suck it up.”  She snickers.

 

I scoot Lilah gently out and put the plate in the corner and the music and her purring compete for loudness.

 

We dig into the main course and it is heaven.  The wings are stuffed with a rice salad of some sort and some kid of vegetable, the burger meat is soft and unctuous and I could eat that on its own and then there are the cutlets…perfectly pink though I lend some serious consideration to moving to the other end of the table so I can stop Justin from stealing from my plate.

 

                “Justin, again in the fridge, let the man eat!”  Alice chides

 

Michael is eating his ziti and David is refusing to have any of it, preferring the food that Zee has prepared, I have to admit it doesn’t smell the way that Debbie’s normally does.

 

                “Uh honey, anything I can take from this?”  Emmett asks.

 

                “Again no.”  Faal replies

 

                “Shit.”  Emmett mutters.

 

Once the mains are done, she brings in a little palate cleanser of a light salad and some ice cold limoncello, I catch the look Hunter gives Ben and the small nod.

 

                “Went down okay?”  She asks

 

                “Ek het jou gesê dit sal perfek wees en dit is nou ontspan.”

 

David looks at Faal and smiles.  We all look at him surprise.

 

                “Did you understand what he just said?”  I ask

 

                “Huh no, but you can tell reassurance in any language.”

 

                “I said I told you it would be perfect and it is now relax.”  Faal translates.

 

 “Okay this is for the burger only…what do you think it was?  You can’t say beef because that was obvious what part of the cow?”

 

Various shouts of flank, shin and other cuts abound but all were denied.

 

                “Open.”

 

                “Oxtail!  As in the cow’s tail.”  Debbie looks surprised.

 

She nods warily.

 

                “So where would I get this and can you show me how to do it?”

 

She nods happily.

 

                “To epicurean perfection!”  Justin stands and raises his glass and we all do the same.

 

                “Okay we need big strong uns for this one…I think Ben, Steve, David and Drew if you please.”

 

Zee drags them outside, whilst Debbie and Alice clear the table and then come back in with a burlap cloth…I say nothing but make a mental note to burn that later.

 

                “Mikey so now he’s out of earshot how are things with the good doctor?”  I ask him.

 

                “Oh great it’s wonderful to be free in all aspects of your life.”  He says looking round the table.

 

I am not sure who wants to kill him first, Debs, Carl, Matt, Jennifer or me.  Before we can say anything the door opens and the boys come in with two long covered troughs they put them on the table and the girls follow with what looks like plates of sorbet before heading out again and coming in with chocolate sauce, warm chocolate sauce, I see Justin’s eyes start to glaze over.

 

                “About a 10 mile run…”  I sigh loudly.

 

                “Or two hours with Justin.”  Ted snickers.

 

The dark look I cast him stops the snickering, but then I grin and nod and he raises his glass.  Zee brings our attention back to her by clearing her throat.

 

                “Okay everyone you need to stand for this course, Michael are you joining us, you are oh good.  Right this is important, what’s in the troughs is liquid nitrogen, under no circumstances are you to get that on your skin, Matt will demonstrate what you need to do, seriously it will hurt like a mother fucker.”

 

We watch as he gently spoons up the sorbet dunks it in the chocolate and quickly in the trough then in less than 30 seconds later takes it out and slides it onto his plate before slicing into it and handing the spoon to Hunter.

 

                “Holy…oh God what is that?”  He turns to Zee.

 

                “You have to guess now come on people get dunking!”

 

The dessert course is spent tasting, groaning and laughing when sorbets disappear into the trough.  Alice quietly reassures a devastated Justin that again, more in the freezer, I help him with his second one and I do I get any of it…of course not.  Michael ends up sharing David’s because he dropped 2 in and Justin is in no mood to share.

 

Eventually this too comes to an end and the boys head out to drain the troughs under Zee’s supervision and they join us in the lounge.  And I notice that everyone finds their usual spots, when the fuck did that happen?

 

                “Okay start guessing.”  Zee calls out from her spot by the fireplace.  “All except Emmett!”

 

We all chuckle at his pout.

 

                “Orange, one was definitely orange.”  Michael calls out

 

                “Nope no orange.”  Zee answers smirking.

 

Various fruits are shouted most of which are rejected.

 

                “Cherry, strawberry, tangelo, blueberry and Sharon fruit.  All mixed with a complimentary liqueur.”

 

She stretches and kisses Faal under his chin.

 

                “Time for coffee.”  She says getting up with Alice and Debbie following.

 

                “Time for you three ladies to sit down and let someone else do it.”  Carl is firm.  “Brian, Justin, Faal, Emmett, Ben come with me it’s the least we can do.”

 

                “It takes 6 of you to make coffee?”  Michael snarks.

 

                “Yes.”  Ben snaps as we head out.

 

As we congregate in the kitchen we all look at each other.

 

                “Either he is the greatest actor of all time or we are missing something.”  Faal says.

 

MICHAEL

 

I’m not sure what she put in that ziti but it really didn’t taste like she normally makes it.

 

JUSTIN

 

We head back with the coffee and I decide to try something.

 

                “So David how’s Hank?”

 

He sighs heavily.

 

                “Well to be honest we’re not talking, I made a mistake a few years back and he’s having difficulties forgiving me but I will get there.”

 

He rubs his face before looking at his watch.

 

                “Is it that time already, I have an early flight tomorrow so have to be leaving now, it was a great evening.  Michael are you coming or staying?”

 

                “He’s going with you.  We’ll call the service”

 

 I reply on Michael’s behalf knowing he’ll be thinking he can get me back…oh no Zephyr I have been waiting years for this and when the time comes Cerberus will be using your spine as a chew toy.

 

I show them out grimacing at the odour that seems to hang around Michael.

 

DAVID

 

Well I didn’t expect that, everyone seems to have moved on in their lives except Michael, which should make getting the stuff easier. Brian and Justin have grown into their relationship and I have to admit that I liked Faal and Zee, they seem a very nice couple, and very much in love.  And Hunter and Ben aren’t as Michael described them.  Have to admit to being disappointed that Michael didn’t try the food but he’s always been resistant to change.  I hear a groan and Michael is clutching his stomach.

 

                “Michael are you okay, what…”

 

Before I can finish I find my lap covered in vomit.

 

DEBBIE

 

                “So what do you think?”

 

                “Not sure certificate wise but from a “me” point of view, he had no clue I think.  But I got the impression he was not too happy with Michael.” 

 

Zee replies.  We all nod and sip our coffee before Zee clears her throat and stands up.

 

                “Okay so I am glad you had a great dinner but I need to give some of you guys keys.  Jennifer these are for you. Hunter, Matt and my darling Faal these are for you.”

 

She hands them round and sits down, the boys and Jennifer look confused before Faal speaks.

 

                “The house is done.”  Faal breathes looking at the keys.

 

She nods and then groans as he crushes her in a hug.

 

                “What are these for?”  Jennifer

 

                “To the brownstone.  We are moving out on Monday.  I want to sell it or rent it so Madam Realtor go do your stuff.”

 

                “And these?”  Hunter asks.

 

                “Keys to the house.  Ben and I have already talked so don’t even okay.  Just to be clear, we’re not saying move in but afford us the same courtesy you do Brian and Justin with the loft okay?”

 

He blinks rapidly and hugs them both and then hugs his dad.

 

My phone rings, it’s a panicked David, Michael is being sick.  He never ate anything of Zee’s so I ask him to find out what he put in the ziti.  He says Michael has no idea because he took it from my house.  I tell him to tell Michael to drink lots of fluids and stay in bed, I will be round tomorrow with some chicken soup.

 

When I hang up I am laughing so hard I can’t catch my breath.

 

                “Uh Red…”

 

                “The z-z-ziti that Michael ate was the one tha-that I was going to throw out and i-i-it made him sick.  He puked up all over David in the car and almost shit his pants…”

 

Britin rocks to the foundations at the sound of our laughter.

 

 

It doesn’t take a genius to realise that they have missed something.  Now that something is huge…and unexpected.