Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Jonathan's POV

Gwen and I sneak downstairs and peek out onto the porch. Our fathers seem to be unaware of our presence. I will admit I don't think I've ever seen such pure adoration in my father's eyes before. I find myself becoming amused by watching Brian. Gwen has told me about her father and how he operates. I can see by Brian's mannerisms that he cares for my father deeply, but I don't think he has a clue what hit him; he seems lost somehow.

Gwen snuggles into my embrace as we continue to look on. She leans up and kisses me softly on the lips. I am so thankful to have met this woman. She has truly helped me become a better person. I felt so alone until she came into my life. Who would have thought two klutzy souls would collide and find such happiness? I chuckle slightly at my own thought.

"What's so funny?" Gwen asks a little confused.

"I was thinking of the day we met. It always brings a smile to my face. I have to wonder if our dads will figure out what is going on between them. I want them to be as happy as us."

Gwen gently runs her fingers through my hair. "I think they already are, they just haven't realized it yet." She kisses me tenderly and smiles against my lips.

 

Brian's POV one month later

I sit here looking at a table full of wedding cake pictures and am blown away by the outrageous prices. "Shit! It's only water, flour and egg! Why the fuck are these cakes so fucking expensive?"

Emmett pats my hand. "Now, now, baby. No need to become the big bad wolf." I glare at him pointedly until he retracts his hand and mutters under his breath, "Touchy, touchy." His voice becomes more confident. "It's like Armani or Prada. You pay for quality."

I laugh sarcastically. "You're comparing a cake, which is made of water, eggs and flour to Prada or Armani?" I give him a disgusted look. "Are you out of your fucking mind? They are not even in the same league."

Gwen puts her hand over mine. "Daddy, it's okay, we don't have to get an expensive cake. I could just call Grandma Joan and she can bake a cake for the wedding," she says sweetly.

"You most certainly will do no such thing. My little girl deserves the best and she will get the best." She chuckles goodheartedly and I can see the mischievous sparkle in her eye. I realize I have just been played. The master has been outsmarted by the student. Playfully I bump her shoulder with mine. "When did you get so smart?"

She winks at me. "I'm your kid. I was born smart." She sticks her tongue out at me and I chuckle.

"Yeah, maybe you're right." I look into my little girl's eyes and see the beautiful sparkle that lights her spirit. My emotions seem to be running high lately and I am trying desperately to keep them in check. She is so beautiful and so grown up, I wonder where the time has flown off too. I am thankful when my cell phone rings and I can stop dwelling on my age.

"Hello?"

"Hey!" I smile when I hear Justin's seductive voice over the phone. "I called to see how cake shopping was going."

I let out a wry chuckle. "How do you think? They are trying to compare Prada and Armani to flour, water and eggs. They say that we have to pay for quality. I am in fucking advertising. I know bullshit when I hear it."

"You're such a label queen." He laughs heartily. Justin's laugh always seems to brighten my day. "Well I wish I could be there. I'm sure they are giving you hell. You'll probably need someone to relax your nerves when you get home," he purrs.

I try to choke back the lump in my throat and wonder how this man snuck under the wire. We have now been seeing each other for a month. It's still hard for me to admit that we are in a relationship. Plus, of course I still frequent Babylon often and sometimes we even pick up tricks together. I know the children would not approve of our arrangement, so we keep most things concerning our relationship private.

"So how is the gallery showing?" I try to change the subject before any of my true feelings are revealed.

"Great! Almost every painting has sold."

"I bet you dazzled them with your charm."

There is silence for a couple moments then Justin finally speaks. "I miss you, Brian."

I clear my throat, not sure how to respond and then notice all eyes are on me, hanging eagerly on every word I say. I glare at Emmett, Gwen and Lindsay then speak softly in the phone. "I'll see you on Sunday?"

"I'll see you then." There's a hint of disappointment in his voice and I try not to let it affect me. He disperses the awkwardness with a chuckle. "You so love me, Brian. You just can't admit it."

I feel a smile spread across my face. "So what if I do?"

I can hear the happiness in his voice. "I think you're busted. Have fun with the ladies. What else do you have to do today?"

"I think flower arrangements, God forbid."

"I'll let you go. I love you, Brian."

I can't bring myself to say it in return, even though I feel it through every fiber of my being. "Later."

"Later."

Hanging up the phone I look into the eager eyes of my family. "What?"

Lindsay grins from ear to ear. "Oh nothing, Brian, I've just never seen you like this before."

I narrow my eyes at her. "Like what?"

She pats my cheek. "In love. I've never seen you in love, Brian."

"I am not in love," I growl.

"Mom, leave dad alone, okay?" Gwen says as she leans her head on my shoulder. I wrap my arm around her and she snuggles into my embrace.

"So did you find the cake you wanted?"

She beams me a smile. "Yup, it's chocolate, even the icing. It's trimmed with maroon, orange and gold flowers."

"Sounds elegant."

The rest of the afternoon seems to be a blur of flowers, chatter and squealing. I am not sure how much more my body can take of all this gleefulness. I look at Emmett and he keeps yapping and yapping and nothing he is saying is fucking making sense to me.

 

Later that evening

When Gwen comes by the loft later we pop some popcorn, I grab a couple beers and we sit on the sofa to watch 'Rebel Without a Cause.'

She turns to me crossing her legs and taking a swig of her drink. "Daddy, can I tell you something?"

There's a bit of sadness in her eyes and that concerns me. "Yes, Pumpkin, you know you can tell me anything."

She chokes back her emotions. "I'm scared."

Taking her in my arms I brush her long blonde hair with my fingers. "Scared of what?"

She laughs nervously and pulls away, wiping a tear from her eyes. "You won't believe me even if I told you."

"Try me. Not too much surprises me."

She laughs. "Trust me dad, this will."

Ok, now I am a little nervous. What could she possibly be scared of? I look at her directly. "Are you going to tell me?" I know I must sound irritated.

"Okay, lately Jonathan and I have been getting a little closer."

I raise my brow. "What do you mean by closer?"

She blushes slightly then clears her throat. "Jonathan is still a virgin."

I feel the tension leave my body and I can't help but smile. "Really?"

"Yeah he is. We talked about waiting until our wedding night, but he is getting more... well..."

"Horny?"

She laughs nervously. "Yeah, horny, and I'm scared that if we have sex he won't want me anymore."

"Why the fuck would you think that?"

"Because I'm not a virgin. I mean he knows that, but what if he resents me for it? What if he thinks I'm a slut and a whore and throws me away afterwards?"

I gently place my hand on her cheek. "You know this is a strange subject for me to talk about with my daughter. I hope you realize that."

"I couldn't talk to the moms. They would be all 'oh, that's so sweet,' that is not what I need to hear. I need to hear the truth and I know you'll give me that."

"The truth is I think it's sweet." She looks at me horrified. "I'm fucking with you, pumpkin. I'm shocked he's been able to hold out as long as he has. That says a lot about him as a person. If he's been so devoted to saving his virginity for the woman he wants to be with forever, then that must mean you are his forever."

"Really?"

"Yeah really. Shit, this is too much sentiment for me in one day." I get up and grab a glass, pouring a couple shots of Jim Beam. I take a swig and let the harsh liquid burn down my throat.

Gwen jumps off the sofa and smiles as she leaps into my arms. "Thank you, daddy," she kisses me on the cheek then heads to the door.

"Where the hell are you going? I thought we were going to watch a movie."

She giggles. "I thought I might go see Jonathan and check if anything might have come up." She winks at me.

"Guinevere! I can't believe you said that! There are just some things a father does not want to know. That is number one on the list!"

"Sorry, Dad."

"Sorry is bullshit! Now get the fuck out of here and do what you have to do. I just don't want to hear about it."

She slams the loft door and I can hear her laughing as she runs down the stairs.

 

Brian's POV

Sitting at the bar in Woody's I order a double shot of Jim Beam and think about the events of the day. No matter what else I think about I find my thoughts turning back to Gwen and Jonathan. I wish this image would get out of my head. No father wants to think of his child no longer being innocent; or taking someone else's innocence for that matter. I've known for a long time she was no longer a virgin and I knew or had assumed since she and Jonathan were engaged that they where most likely having sex.

But this turn of events is so distracting. Having it thrown in my face like that. Shit! I have no idea why it's troubling me so much. My sex life has always been in everyone's face, and I like it that way. It is my method of life survival, but I would never wish that life on my little girl. I'm glad she found someone that makes her happy. I hope he always does. I'm concerned that now that they are taking this big step, things may change for her. I hope he is a better person than that. I have always thought heteros get married to have a get out of jail free card when it comes to sex.

Lighting a cigarette, I order a couple more doubles of Beam. Feeling the alcohol flow through my bloodstream I begin to relax a bit, but the image of Gwen and Jonathan having sex keeps entering my mind. Fuck! I order another double shot until I am feeling no pain and my daughter's relationship is no longer troubling me.

I ponder my own insecurities and how I hold everyone at bay; even Justin. I wonder how Gwen is able to love so unconditionally. She definitely did not learn it from me. I have to give the Munchers brownie points for that. I laugh. Everything is starting to seem funny to me. Trying to stand up, I stumble back on the barstool laughing again.

I feel a warm and familiar hand balancing me. "Hey, stud." I turn and see Justin smile his bright beam of light at me.

"Hey!" I try to sound seductive when in fact all my words are coming out in a slur. "I thought you weren't coming home until Sunday." I try to keep my eyes focused but everything seems to blur and moves rapidly in front of me.

Leaning forward Justin sits me up straight, laughing. "Hey, don't fall on me now. I decided to come early, thought you might need a helping hand to relax after your week of hetero hell wedding planning shit."

"You got that fucking right," I slur.

Justin kisses me gently on the lips then turns me to face him. "So tell me, why are you getting drunk?"

I laugh nervously pointing my finger at Justin. "You would not believe me if I told you, plus I don't want you to have the same awful vision in your head that I do." He looks at me with curiosity.

"Well, if you lose your lunch don't blame me."

Justin gently rubs my shoulder. "I promise not to lose my lunch. Tell me what's wrong."

"My little girl is deflowering your son!" I say tongue in cheek then smirk in amusement at Justin's reaction.

His shoulders slump and he looks at me in disbelief and then orders his own Jim Beam. "Why the hell did you tell me that? How fucking disturbing! I don't want to think about my kid having sex."

"Why the fuck do you think I'm drinking?"

He opens his mouth to speak then closes it and thinks, then he turns back to me. "But that can't possibly be Brian." Justin runs his fingers through his golden locks then brings his hand to his face rubbing it in complete bewilderment. They are getting married. My son has been in a lot of relationships before. They must have been together before their engagement.

"Nope."

"How did you find out?" He looks grief stricken.

"Gwen came to talk to me. She was afraid he would think she was a slut because she has been with other men. She said he knows about her past but it still bothers her. She was afraid if they had sex it would change everything."

"It's nice she has you to talk to. I wish Jonathan would come to me more. I had no idea he was still a virgin." Justin looks at me with misty eyes. "I'm kind of proud of him for being able to wait."

I smirk at him. "Well, it's all hetero to me! The only reason she came to me is for an honest answer plus I think she wanted to give me a heart attack!"

Justin nuzzles his head under my chin and then looks at me with bright blue twinkling orbs. "Why don't we get out of here and let me take your mind off these unsettling events."