Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Brian's POV

Walking into the diner, I wonder how the fuck I've gotten myself into this mess. I groan inwardly as Debbie runs up to us, beaming from ear to ear. She pulls Guinevere into a big hug. "Gwen honey! It's so good to see you! No one told me you were coming into town."

"Sorry, Grandma, it was kind of a surprise."

"And a fucking great surprise it is." She playfully slaps Gwen with her order pad. "But next time you better tell me when you're coming." She looks at Jonathan with a confused expression. "Who is this young, good-looking thing?"

Gwen slightly blushes. "Grandma, is everyone here? I would like to introduce you all at once."

Debbie looks at me, her eyes full of questions, then over to Justin, seeming even more puzzled, then smiles. "Sure honey, they're all in the back booth." We all follow Deb to the back of the diner.

 

Emmett's POV

I saw Gwen and Jonathan walk in right away and I let a smile beam from my face. She looks so beautiful and I am so glad she has blossomed into the medieval renaissance lady I have always known her to be.

Gwen called me about two weeks ago just in a frenzy. The poor dear was so scared about what Brian would say when he found out she was getting married. Well, of course, I hopped on a plane right away and met her and Jonathan to help soothe her nerves.

I can't let anyone know that I know. I can keep a secret when need be. Gwen walks up to the table and introduces Jonathan as her fiance, then the handsome older dish behind them as her soon to be father-in-law, Justin. I have to giggle when the gasps break out through the group and Debbie starts screeching. I think the poor woman is going to hyperventilate. Now I know CPR, but I really would rather not use it unless I absolutely must.

After everyone settles down I leap out of the booth and pull Gwen into a big hug. "Oh baby! I am so happy for you and just look at you, all grown up and gorgeous with your vampiric look. I bet your father had a shit fit." She blushes and nods her head yes. I look over at Jonathan and notice he is wearing a maroon pirate style shirt with a long black skirt that hangs to his ankles. I shoot him a smile. "And look at you, honey. My, oh my, not too many straight men can get away with that look." I pat him on the cheek and pull him into a hug. "You are too cute. I could just eat you all up."

He smiles and then blushes. I just love getting a rise out of these kids. When I look over to Brian I see something in him I have never seen before. He seems content and I notice he keeps stealing glimpses at the fine man standing beside him.

I am pulled out of my thoughts when Gwen asks me to help her put the wedding together. "Yes, yes, yes!" I screech, jumping up and down excitedly. I pull her into another hug. "Now, when are you planning this big event?"

"October 31st." She looks at Jonathan and then back at me as she squeezes his hand. That was our first real date and Samhain is a very important Sabbat for both of us.

"Oh Honey, I'm already getting some fabulous ideas. I'm thinking fall colors, dried leaves and berries in your hair. A lovely medieval gown in maroon, and black candles."

She beams and gives me a kiss on the cheek. "Auntie Em, I knew you would think of something amazing. You know me so well."

After we all chat and have breakfast I notice the small glimpses and even touches going on between Brian and Justin. I must say I am completely amused and look forward to seeing what may happen with them.

 

Brian's POV

I am thankful when we finally leave the diner. It seemed as though everyone was a little too excited for my liking, and being so close to Justin was nerve wracking. I felt so drawn to him, needing to look at him or touch him. Fuck, I have to get out of this situation.Making an excuse I leave with every intention of catching up with them all at Lindsay's later on.

 

The phone has been ringing off the hook as I pace back and forth in my loft. I was supposed to be at Lindsay's an hour ago. I just can't bring myself to go, which is unfair to Guinevere. I'm not ready to see Justin again and face these feelings he brings out in me. But this is not about him, it's about Gwen, and I know I can't let her down.

Walking up to the Munchers' house I let myself in and notice everyone is already eating at the table. I slide into the chair next to Gwen and kiss her on the cheek whispering, "Hi Pumpkin."

She smiles at me and pats me on the leg. "You made it."

Melanie pipes up. "Well it's about fucking time you got here."

I glare at her and shrug my shoulders smirking. "What can I say? Something came up."

"I can just imagine what came up," she grumbles.

Gwen introduces me to Daphne and Tammie and I smile, trying to put on a facade of brilliance, but that fails miserably as soon as Justin looks at me. My heart begins to race and suddenly I feel Gwen squeeze my hand.

 

Guinevere's POV

I can sense uneasiness around my father. He looks at me and smiles, but there is something in his eyes I do not recognize. I reach over and grasp his hand under the table. I was so worried to tell him I was getting married. He handled it so much better than I thought, but I see the sadness in his eyes. I just wish for once he would find someone he could spend the rest of his life with. I know there is something so deep in his past that has made him shrug off love and push back his emotions. He has never really shared much about his childhood with me. All I know is that it wasn't a good one.

Justin looks over to Brian and I see the concern in his eyes. I hope they are able to get together. When I met Justin I knew right away he was the one for my dad. They have the same presence about them, but the thing with Justin is he is not afraid of showing his emotions. My father needs someone like that in his life. I feel at times I am the grown up and he is the kid. I have all these hopes and dreams for him, and I wonder if it's because he never had a family to really rely on.

 

Justin's POV

Looking across the table I see Gwen take hold of Brian's hand. He has an unreadable expression on his face, yet he smiles at her gently. I can't help but think he was late because of me. Shit, last night was the best night I've had in a long time. Even the morning was wonderful until we left the diner. That's when Brian's personality changed instantly and he left very suddenly.

My thoughts are interrupted when Daphne whispers in my ear. "He's hot! Don't you think?"

I turn to face her raising my brow. "I guess I thought so last night when I went home with him." I'm not sure why I just said it so blatantly.

She giggles then covers her mouth. "Oh my god! Tell me you didn't." I shrug my shoulders and laugh. "Oh, this is wonderful! So what do you think? Does he like you?"

I give her a disgusted look. "Daphne, I don't think this is the time to discuss this."

Suddenly I feel warm breath on the back of my neck and look over to where Brian was sitting realizing the table is empty, and it is just me and Daphne left.

Brian's voice tickles my ear. "Now, Sunshine, are you telling all our secrets?" He laughs mischievously and walks outside.

"Fuck!"

 

Brian's POV

I have to laugh when I overhear Daphne and Justin talking. They seemed so oblivious to everyone clearing the table around them. Their friendship reminds me of Lindsay's and mine. I can recall many times we have lost track of time just shooting the breeze.

Tammie walks up to me and we chitchat awhile. She seems like a nice enough lady; for a lesbian.

Then I walk over to Justin to see if I might be able to distract him. I realize he is the one distracting me and I can't handle it, so I go outside once again and sit on the steps. The cool night air relaxes my nerves slightly. Lighting up my cigarette I am thankful to have a couple of moments alone. I hope no one comes out here because I am not sure if I can deal with it right now.

 

Gwen's POV

I notice Dad walk outside and Justin's shoulders seem to slump. I go over to him and take his hand, leading him upstairs to my old room. I hope no one will notice that we took off. I need to tell him something about my father and I don't want curious ears listening in. I sit on the floor and he drops down next to me. "Dad, are you okay?"

He smiles brightly and laughs. "I like that you feel comfortable enough to call me dad. It's nice."

Playfully I push his shoulder with mine. "So, you going to tell me what's going on with you and my dad?"

He has a sad expression on his face. "What's to tell? We fucked, we found out our identities, we got high, had a couple drinks, and then fucked again."

I look at him knowing there is more to it than that. "Don't patronize me, Dad, I saw you two. I know there is something going on. Did he say anything to you?"

Justin swallows. "He didn't have to say anything Gwen. It was all out in the open; the way he touched me and caressed me, even after he knew who I was. I really like your father, Gwen. I know we just met, but even before he came up to me in Babylon I felt him enter the room. I think he's the soulmate I have always wanted and needed."

I can't help but giggle. "I know. I knew when I met you that you and my Dad are meant for each other. It's not going to be easy though, my father is very protective about his emotions.  He hasn't had an easy life."

I am a bit stunned by Justin's reply. "I know. He told me last night that he had a difficult childhood. That's why he wants you to always have the best."

"I can't believe he told you that. I mean, I know he did, but that is so unlike him to talk about it. No wonder he's acting funny. I know he loves you, Justin. I feel it in every fiber of my being."

Justin smiles. "I kind of feel it too, but I also feel him pushing me away."

I pat his knee and then my bedroom door opens and Jonathan walks in timidly. "Is everything okay in here?"

"Yeah, all is well. Just talking about this blossoming relationship between our dads."

Jonathan laughs and sits down. "I suggest going out to the porch and talking to him. I heard a rumor that's the best place to have one on one talks with Brian."

I giggle, remembering last night. I had elbowed Jonathan in the ribs and told him to go outside and talk to my dad.

"Another thing about my dad," I say to Justin. "He never does anything he doesn't want to. You can take it any way you like, but know there is hope. I see it, and plus I kind of want to see this happen." He smiles and nods.

 

Brian's POV

I hear the door creak open and footsteps approaching. "Doesn't anyone have any respect for a little down time? Fuck! I just want to be alone to smoke for once."

I hear Justin clear his throat. "I'm sorry. I'll go back inside."

Running my fingers through my hair I think; 'What are the chances? Why is he out here and do I even want to know?'

"Justin, it's okay, sit down and have a smoke. We can talk about the kids." I look up at him smirking and he smirks back.

"Brian, I don't know you very well, but usually when we try to talk about the kids we wind up in bed together."

Letting out a nervous laugh I look up at Justin and grin. "And is that such a bad thing?"

He sits down next to me leaning on my shoulder and I welcome the touch. "No, it's not a bad thing, but Brian I don't want any mixed signals, and I don't want to be hurt. I've had more than my fair share of heartache."

His quivering voice washes through my soul. "I know. Jonathan told me about your partner who passed away. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Justin, I can't promise you anything. I wish I could, but I can't."

He touches my face gently. "Brian, I don't want your promises or your commitment. All I ask is for you to keep an open mind and your heart free."

His eyes are so blue in the shimmering moonlight that I have to swoop down and capture his lips with mine, answering his question with one tender kiss.