Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Author's Note: Lots of thanks to my husband Kevin for the plot bunny. *smile* This story is inspired by the movie, 'Father of the Bride,' but quickly becomes a story all its own.

 

Kris, Thank you so much for all of your hard work in editing this story. I know there were times I fumbled my words or sentences and you always knew exactly what I was trying to say or get across. Lots of love to you and thanks again.

 

Brian's POV

The smell of roses lingers in the evening air. Usually the vile aroma would cause my sinuses to flare, but tonight the sensation is different and rather relaxing. Who would have thought a wedding would warm my heart as much as it has? My baby girl is twenty-one, all grown up and now she has dedicated her life to another.

It seems like only yesterday that Lindsay and I were just eighteen and experimenting in the realm of hetero sex. We both decided that same night that it was a huge mistake, and to forget it ever happened. The fates had other plans though; nine months later we had a happy, bouncing baby girl. Shortly after, Lindsay met Melanie and the rest is history.

As I sit on Mel and Lindsay's porch swing smoking a cigarette I sip on a glass of Jim Beam and survey the damage of the evening. White twinkle lights glisten throughout the yard and wineglasses and bottles are scattered sporadically around the maroon covered tables. It all reminds me of the events that led us to this point.

 

Eight months earlier

I feel the dread flow through my system as I walk up to the munchers' home. The only time they ever call me over for dinner is when they want something or there is a tragic event. Hesitantly I knock on the front door, fearing the worst.

I am suddenly pulled out of my thoughts as the door flies open and Guinevere throws herself into my arms, happily kissing me on the cheek. "Daddy, I've missed you!"

I laugh into her strawberry scented, blonde hair. "I've missed you too, Pumpkin. The Moms didn't tell me you were coming to town."

"I wanted it to be a surprise, Daddy," she giggles into my ear.

She pulls away, smiling at me, and that's when I see them. The vulgar metal pieces that are violating her nose, lip and eyebrow. "What the fuck happened to your face?"

My stubborn girl matches my own hostile tone. "They're piercings, Father." She looks sternly into my eyes but I know she is seeking some form of approval.

"I may be thirty-eight, but under no circumstances was I born in the Ice Age. I know what a fucking piercing is. "I narrow my eyes trying to exert my fatherly authority, knowing full well I no longer have that privilege because she is a grown woman now. "What I do not understand is why the hell they are on your face." I take a deep breath and raise my eyebrow before asking my next question cautiously. "You don't have anything else pierced, do you?"

She starts to blush and I can see without her saying a word that she does.

"Oh God! No! Ewww, I don't even want to hear about it!" I can feel my whole body cringe. "That is just gross, Gwen!"

"Well then you shouldn't have asked," she says playfully, patting my cheek, just like her mother does. They are so much alike in so many ways. "You know you still love me, Daddy."

She walks away and I study the dress she is wearing, not believing that my baby girl is grown up and able to make decisions on her own. If she was still under the moms' roof there is no way in fucking hell any of us would let her out in that black lacy maroon dress. It looks like something right out of a vampire horror movie.

"What in God's name are you wearing?" I furrow my brows at her.

"Get over yourself, Dad. It's vampiric and I like it, so leave me the fuck alone." She smiles, then winks at me.

Yes, she is definitely a Kinney through and through. We are a stubborn bunch. I smile my approval and kiss her on the cheek. "I do still love you, pumpkin, even if you do look like a freak."

"Fuck you," she laughs, hitting my shoulder. I can't help but duck and laugh with her, knowing that everything is Okay between us.

"Brian!" Lindsay walks up, kissing me on the cheek, and smiling from ear to ear. "Can you believe it? Our girl is all grown up."

"No, I can't, but fuck, Lindsay, look at her. She looks like she should be in some death metal band."

Lindsay pats my cheek. "Now Brian, she's just enjoying her youth, so calm down and let her."

In the corner of my eye I see Guinevere smirking at me. "Death metal band, huh, dad? I'm shocked you even know what that is at your age. Thank you for the suggestion, I just might do that."

"You most certainly will not!" I bark out, sounding harsher than I mean to.

She laughs at me mockingly. "God, dad, are you that easy? I was totally fucking with you."

"I'm not easy, I just like to share my endowment with all of the good looking men on Liberty Avenue," I reply, tongue in cheek.

Looking over I see Melanie wearing a disgusted expression upon her face. "Jesus Christ Brian, will you ever grow up?"

"Melanie, as always, it's a pleasure to see you." The sarcasm drips from my lips.

Lindsay rolls her eyes and chuckles. "Brian, stop. Just sit down and have dinner with us. Guinevere says she has something important to tell us. I've been waiting all day because she refused to tell me until we were all here together. She is so much like you, Brian; stubborn as hell."

"Well then she has some of my best qualities. Speaking of kids, where is Gus?"

"Hey, Dad!"

I give him a hug and notice how tall he has gotten. "Holy shit, kid, you're almost as tall as me. When did I see you last?"

"Dad! I just saw you yesterday."

"You must have grown two feet since then."

Gus turns to Gwen. "What the fuck is wrong with him?"

She laughs and playfully slaps Gus on the back. "I think Dad is just feeling old. I'm in college and you're a junior in high school now. It's the end of the world in Dad's eyes."

Glaring at them both with all the fatherly love I can muster I sit down at the table to have dinner with my family.

After a couple glasses of wine I am feeling relaxed and that's when Gwen tells us the big news. "I'm getting married."

My jaw just about drops to the floor. "You're what?!".

She shows us the ruby on her finger and I feel my heart sink at the realization that my baby girl is all grown up. I would rather not admit it, but she is, and there is nothing I can do or say about it.

She smiles at me from across the table and I can still see that sweet innocent 6 year old girl who was full of questions and excited abut life. Now, at twenty she is an intelligent young woman who knows what she wants and goes for it, no matter what I say.

"He is so wonderful! You will all love him. He and I are so much alike. Jonathan was also raised with gay parents." She smiles from ear to ear and I can tell she is happy.

I just wish I could be happy that my girl is no longer mine. I get up from the table, kiss her on the forehead and whisper in her ear. "I hope he makes you happy." Then I walk out to the porch and light a cigarette thinking of what just happened and the events to come concerning the wedding.

Gwen walks out on the patio, silently wrapping her arm around my waist. She takes the cigarette out of my hand and inhales, letting the smoke seep from her lips. She smiles up at me and I see the child she once was and the woman she is now. "Dad, I want you to give me away."

I kiss her on the cheek. "Of course I will, pumpkin."

I pull away to look into her hazel eyes, then smirk. "Even if it is a hetero gathering. I will be there to give you away."

She smiles brightly. "You will love him, daddy. He is so wonderful."

"Does this Prince Charming have a last name?"

"Taylor, Jonathan Taylor." She looks at me with mischief in her eyes. "I met his father last weekend. He's really cute. I think you two might hit it off."

"You know I don't do relationships or boyfriends. Why are you trying to set me up?"

She shrugs her shoulders. "I love you daddy, and no offence, you're not getting any younger. How much longer will you be able to be the Stud of Liberty Avenue?" The concern is heavy in her eyes. "I guess I just worry about you. When I met Justin I just had this feeling that he might be the one for you ."

I pull away from her embrace and look deep within her soul and I can tell she is up to something.

I clear my throat and ask. "Guinevere, what the fuck did you do?"

She shifts from one foot to the other. "I kind of told him I had a handsome, available father," she says quickly as she winks at me then runs into the house.

"Please tell me you didn't do that!" I yell after her. I quickly put out my cigarette and follow the sound of her giggles.

Guinevere desperately tries to run out of my grasp, forgetting that Gus is nearby. I nod to him and he smiles back mischievously and winks as he tackles her to the ground.

Looking down at my children I take in the moment and appreciate how lucky I am to have them in my life. Gus looks at me, laughing as he tickles his big sister then I get on the floor and help. We keep up the tickle attack until she cries for mercy through her laughter and tears. All three of us roll on the ground laughing and playing like kids.

Lindsay's voice pierces through our laughter; "Okay, kids, it's getting late, off to bed!" She winks at me then giggles.

"But mom, you are so not fun," I say grabbing her and pulling her onto the floor with us.

It's moments like these I will cherish forever.