Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
“Daddy!” Gus shrieked, followed by his sister’s delighted “Dada!”

Justin registered the roar of a powerful motor, and wondered whether the Harley made that kind of noise. It certainly hadn’t sounded like that on Liberty Avenue.

Judson had already vanished around the corner, and it suddenly occurred to Justin that it might be a good idea to greet Brian without too many witnesses. He made to follow Judson, but to his dismay found that Mel and Lindsay got up, as well as Debbie and Michael. Sighing inwardly, he made his way to the front.

The rest of the group pushed past him, but Justin stood still, taking in the scene. He had always loved watching Brian, even when Brian did simple everyday things, such as taking a shower or eating an apple.

Brian parked the car – correction, Justin thought. That’s not a car, that’s a fucking rocket. He’d never seen a car like that. Easily 13 or even 14 feet long, but only about 3 foot high, she looked as though you could park her underneath a decently sized kitchen table.

The door swung up and out of the way, and Brian got out, gracefully unfolding his long limbs. Armani, Justin thought, a blue suit with a powder blue silk shirt and dark red tie. He’d been driving barefoot.

Brian looked breathtaking.

His attention was on the two kids, who were eagerly pawing his trousers.

“Daddy! Daddy! Pick me up,” Gus demanded, and JR echoed, “Me, me!”

Laughing, Brian swept both kids up into his arms, kissing first Gus, then JR. “Hi, guys! How are my favorite kids?”

“Okay now,” Gus said. “I was so waiting for you!”

“I wanted to be here for you when you arrived, but I had to work.”

“That’s okay, Daddy,” Gus said. “But you got the whole week off, right?”

“Right. We get to spend lots of time together.”

Judson lifted JR down and slipped an arm around Brian’s waist, pulling him close. His lips travelled down Brian’s cheek and finally closed over his mouth.

Justin could see the contented sigh in the way Brian leaned against Judson. Jealously, he watched as Brian’s posture relaxed and his eyes drifted shut, his free hand tangling tenderly in Judson’s long hair.

Justin was shocked. That was no boy toy. This was deeper, deeper than even Michael. Justin had seen the emotion behind the kisses Brian sometimes bestowed upon Michael, the aching affection. Only here, it was worse. Judson obviously returned the feeling tenfold.

This wasn’t a kiss that said I want your ass. This was the kind of kiss that said I adore you. Justin knew the difference.

The lingering kiss was more intimate than anything he’d ever seen Brian do, and Justin felt vaguely uncomfortable watching. He’d never needed to avert his eyes when he saw Brian with his cock up some guy’s ass, or down some throat. But here, right now, Justin knew he was blushing.

Just then, the couple broke apart.

“How was your day?” Brian asked, shifting Gus to the other arm.

“Different. Yours?”

Brian shrugged. “Interesting. And you know how I hate interesting!”

They smiled at each other, and Judson brushed back a strand of Brian’s hair that kept falling into his eyes. “Let’s get around back; I’ll get you a drink.”

“I could do with one,” Brian said, transferring Gus to Judson so that he could take off his jacket. He folded it and put it on the driver’s seat, then pushed the car door down. Gus held out his arms and Brian took him back, smiling.

“Wait,” Judson said, and pulled Brian close again.

They shared another gentle kiss, and Justin wanted nothing more than to be in Judson’s place again. And this scene made for one hell of a drawing. For the first time in months, he was just itching for his sketch book and a pencil.

The kiss was sweet and the sage expression on the kid’s face was priceless.

Brian must have looked like that when he was little, tousled chestnut hair and wide hazel eyes.

Justin realized he knew very little about Brian’s youth, and almost nothing about his childhood. Did anybody know more? Michael, perhaps? He’d need to ask.

JR tugged at Brian’s trousers. “Me, me!”

Brian stepped back from Judson, drawing his lips into his mouth for a second.

Justin remembered that, it was as if Brian wanted to continue tasting the kiss. Damn.

“Me, what, honey?”

“Up!” JR demanded.

“You remind me of somebody,” Brian grinned. He picked the little girl up, while Gus wrapped his arms around his neck. “Happy now?”

JR stuck a sucker under Brian’s nose. “Want some? It’s real good!”

Brian moved his head back. “Uh, no thanks, sweetheart. You enjoy it.”

The small face puckered up. “Lick,” she insisted.

Brian tilted his head, studying the sulky expression for a moment.

Justin grinned to himself. There was no way Brian could avoid that lollipop.

“Okay,” Brian sighed. He stuck out his tongue and gave the sucker a quick swipe. “There.”

Then he made a face and gestured for Judson to take the girl off him. Brian pulled the back of his hand across his mouth and grimaced again. “That’s disgusting. Why is that sucker full of fuzz, JR?”

Gus giggled. “She always keeps them in her pocket. And when she wants to lick them again, she finds somebody to lick them first so they get the fluff off.”

“Brilliant,” Brian said. “You could’ve warned me, son. That wasn’t nice, JR.”

“First you tongue your boy toy, then my girl’s sucker. I just hope you’re both clean,” Melanie said coldly, taking the child out of Judson’s arms. “I don’t want my daughter to catch anything.”

“And hello to you, Mel,” Brian said. “What if I catch something from her sucker?”

“Honestly, you two. Try to get along for the first hour, will you?” Michael hugged Brian, and then held out his arms to Gus.

Gus shook his head and tightened his arms around Brian’s neck, “I’m with my daddy.”

Michael shrugged. “You’re ruining his outfit.”

“Fuck the outfit,” Brian said. “My son’s more important.”

“Language, Brian,” Lindsay sighed. She reached up to peck him on the cheek, and Brian gave her a sharp look.

“You okay, Linds?”

“Sure,” Lindsay sighed again. “It was a bit of a rough trip, what with two kids and all that.”

Brian shook his head. “I told you to come by plane.”

“And we didn’t want to,” Melanie said brusquely.

“I gathered that,” Brian replied evenly, but Justin saw the look he shot Judson and grinned to himself.

Justin realized that almost everybody had trickled to the front of the house. His mother had been right; they’d not give them a private moment. Justin cursed himself. What had possessed him?

“Come on, Brian,” Michael said, pulling at his arm and forcing him to take a few steps, “you haven’t seen the guys in ages.”

“Forget about the guys,” Debbie said. “Look who else is here, Brian!”

The second their eyes met, Justin felt the familiar jolt. Brian was just too bloody beautiful. He remembered seeing Brian for the very first time, prowling him. Remembered Brian struggling with the repercussions of the bashing. Remembered Brian almost begging him to marry him. The man who now faced him was not the same.

Brian’s hair was as short as it had been that first day, maybe a touch shorter. His figure had changed a little, his waist even narrower than it had been, his shoulders slightly more powerful and the gait even more spirited. A new work-out regiment, then.

Most notable were the chances in the face he had once known so well. His artist’s eye recalled that in the beginning, Brian’s mouth had curved up like that. In the years that followed, that line had straightened, to an extent were Brian occasionally looked bitter. Now, the full lips curved up again. The frown that had begun to draw a fine line between his brows was gone, and the beautiful eyes under the thick lashes were gentle and clear. Brian looked at peace.

“You can quit staring. Botox simply does wonders for a guy’s looks,” Melanie said.

“That’s life, not cosmetic surgery,” Justin said softly.

Brian raised a caustic eyebrow at him, and Justin realized that they still hadn’t said a word to each other.

“You’re not still sore at Sunshine, are you?” Debbie cut in.

“Sore? Why would I be sore?” Brian asked calmly, still regarding him with a look that made Justin feel as though he were some sort of particularly ugly garden gnome.

“I can think of a few things,” Michael said gleefully. “He dumped you like four times, the last time right in front of the altar.”

“Oh, that’s right,” Brian said, “thanks for reminding me, Mikey. I’d forgotten about that. Still, no hard feelings, you know that Justin, don’t you.”

Justin swallowed. He felt the disappointment of their onlookers, like an insect crawling on his skin. Like a pack of hyenas waiting for their share of the lion’s prey. “Yes, I know, Brian. Thanks for saying it, though.”

Brian shrugged and held out his free hand. “So, Justin. Back for good?”

“Back for bad,” Jennifer said from behind him. Startled, Justin turned. He hadn’t even been aware his mother was there.

He was extremely relieved when Brian draped a friendly arm across his shoulder and said in a stage whisper, “You should’ve been at their wedding, Sunshine!”

Justin smiled at him. “Something came up.”

Brian shook his head. “Bad boy, sonny-boy.”



Yeah, Debbie. Look who else is here. Like I didn’t feel his presence from a mile off.

Justin. My Justin.

The hair too long. The jeans don’t fit. Those shoes are a disgrace. The T-shirt looks worn. He lost weight. Fuck, he’s thin.

Beautiful. So fucking beautiful.

Impossible to tear your eyes away.

Justin looks as timid as he had that night under the lamp-post. So young, so lost.

Right. Stop the flights of fancy. You're a grown man, Brian Kinney. He’s a grown man.

Besides, you’ve got an audience. Pull yourself together, and play it cool. You can do that. You’ve had plenty of practice the last year.

Right. Put an arm around his shoulder, just to make sure he’s real.

God, yes. He’s real alright.

Calm the fuck down. You’ll be fine.

You’d better be.



They rounded the corner, and Brian let go of Justin and set Gus down to kiss Daphne. He said hello to Matt, hugged Tucker and greeted Carl.

Meanwhile, Judson had poured him a drink. Brian loosened his tie, opened the top two buttons on his shirt and accepted the proffered drink with a grateful nod.

Leda came out of the house with Molly, and Molly ran straight into Brian’s arms, almost spilling his drink. “Thank you for those photos, thank you, thank you! They’re so brilliant! You’re totally awesome! Thank you so much!”

Laughing, Brian held the exuberant girl at arm’s length. “I take it you were pleased with the photos, Molly.”

“They really are stunning,” Tucker said.

“That’s because Molly is stunning,” Brian smiled.

“What photos?” Debbie asked.

“Brian invited Molly to the AA awards two weeks ago,” Jennifer explained with a smile. “Brian got hold of the press photos and had them enlarged for us.”

“Why do you bother to go to AA meetings? You’re still drinking,” Melanie said, pointing at Brian’s glass.

Brian raised an eyebrow. “Not Alcoholics Anonymous, Mel. Advertising Agencies.”

“Did you get another award, Daddy,” Gus wanted to know.

Brian smiled down at the boy. “Yes, we did.”

“What kind?”

Justin grinned. Perseverance clearly ran in the family.

“Judson got one for best continuance in a campaign,” Brian said.

“You wouldn’t get that one, would you. Continuing isn’t your strong suit.”

“Aw, Mel, we all know my strong suit is Armani,” Brian grinned.

“Gus, Kinnetik got an award for best female modelling, for best photographer, for best copywriter, one for most innovative campaign and for best overall performance,” Molly rattled off excitedly. “And your daddy got the award for…”

“Shush!” Brian said quickly. “Not another word, Molly!”

“But that’s the best one!” Molly protested.

“That’s what you think,” Brian said darkly.

“I agree with Molly,” Leda said mildly. “And well deserved.”

“Just how many awards did you get,” Justin asked, seeing his mother exchange an amused and indulgent smile with Tucker. Was the smile for Molly? Or for Brian?

“Kinnetik and affiliates got seven awards out of fifteen,” Judson said.

“Ouch,” Justin grinned. “The competition must hate you.”

“Brian is used to the competition hating him. He just fucks them until they shut up.”

“Yeah, but I don’t fuck with them,” Brian said comfortably, pouring himself another drink. “Which is why they hate me, but still respect me enough to give Kinnetik awards. How’s the lawyering going in Toronto, Melanie?”

Justin shook his head. Mel had always had a sharp tongue, especially around Brian, but today, she was breaking her own records. That must have been one hell of a drive they had had with the kids.

“So-so,” Mel said. “Lawyers are busy everywhere.”

Surprised, Justin tried to understand the expression on Gus’ face. Contempt? The little boy gave Mel what could only be termed a stern look. How odd to see that on such a small kid.

“Nice car,” Lindsay said, in an all too obvious attempt to break the tension.

“That’s not a car,” Justin replied. “That’s a spaceship!”

It wasn’t often he had an urge to draw cars, but this one was different. Silver exterior, silver interior. Driven by Brian. One hot car for one hot guy.

“A special car for Rage,” Michael grinned at him. He was right. That was the kind of vehicle they should’ve given him. Justin wished he’d done more research on that. What Rage got around in was just too tame.

“It’s just a set of wheels,” Melanie said. “Get over it.”

“What kind of car is it,” Ben asked, “I don’t think I’ve ever even seen one like that before. Those butterfly doors are awesome.”

“It’s a 1989 Lamborghini Countach,” Judson said.

“Gee, Brian. Yet another toy that’s younger than you,” Mel said.

“Actually, I like my cars vintage, my bikes new and my boyfriend hot and compatible,” Brian said, winking at Judson.

“Quit flirting,” Mel said impatiently. “You’re not sixteen anymore.”

“What’s with you, Mel? That time of the month?” Emmett shook his head. “Give Brian a break. At least let him get changed before you start in on him!”

“There aren’t many of those around, are there?” Ben asked.

“Not at that price, there won’t be,” Ted said.

“What price is that, Ted?” Emmett asked.

“135,000 bucks!” Ted replied.

Emmett pretended to faint.

“Thanks, Ted. Care to share any more of my business?” Brian frowned.

“You can buy a house for that,” Debbie said. “What possessed you to spend so much money on a car?”

“I already have a house,” Brian said. “I wanted a car. And my fucking spending is nobody’s business.”

“Of course not,” Debbie said. “But can you afford to squander that much?”

“Yes.” Brian said. “I can. Now, can we change the subject?”



A handsome blond man with bright hazel eyes sauntered around the corner, and Gus yelled, “Jimmy!”

Brian whirled, his eyes suddenly sparkling. “Jim! We didn’t think you’d make it today!”

Jim picked up Gus and swung him into the air. “Hello, homme beau. How’s life?”

Gus grinned. “I’m visiting daddy!”

“So, life’s good, then?” Jim smiled, and Justin felt his heart skip. Jim was a hunk.

“Yeah,” Gus nodded. “Now!”

“Great. Now, can I say hi to your dad and everybody?”

Gus nodded reluctantly. “Okay, but you gotta play with me after!”

“I will, I promise!”

Jim set Gus on the floor and went into Brian’s arms. Justin realized that Jim must be about his own height, because he only came up to Brian’s shoulder.

Brian held tight for a long moment and then tilted his head as if to kiss Jim. Jim leaned back.

“Still undecided,” he said with a small grin.

Brian shook his head. “I plan on changing that. Sometime soon.” His eyes widened meaningfully.

“And I’m still not sure whether to say ‘I wish’ or ‘Please don’t’!”

Judson pulled Jim away and hugged him. “Don’t be scared. I won’t let the big bad boy near you.”

“Because you want him all to yourself,” Brian said.

“Not much chance of that,” Daphne smiled. “Just look at all those hungry faces. The wolves are on the prowl tonight, Jim!”

“Uh-oh. I guess I’d better lock my door.”

“Bad idea,” Jennifer grinned at him. “You’ll be locking one of the worst predators in with you. You’re sharing with my son!”

“I’m doomed!” Jim shook his head and looked at Justin. “Are you Justin? You must be, you look so much like Molly. If you’re Justin… doom might not be so bad, after all.”

“I’m Justin,” Justin confirmed with a grin. “And I’m all for locking the door,” he winked.

Jim laughed. “That’s settled, then.”

“That man is a butterfly,” Judson sighed dramatically. “You blink once and he’s gone.”

Brian put an arm around his waist and brushed a kiss across his lips. “I’m no butterfly. No amount of blinking will get rid of me.”

“More’s the shame,” Mel muttered.

Judson smiled into Brian’s eyes, and Justin felt that stab of jealousy again. He’d better get used to the feeling, he thought.

“I’m glad you’re not a butterfly. They’re flighty, and fragile. You, on the other hand…” Judson’s voice trailed off into a whisper, and Brian smiled and leaned forward for another kiss. Justin had only managed to catch the words ‘lasting’ and ‘hard’.

“I’m getting sick of that,” Mel grumbled.

Brian shook his head at her. “What’s wrong, Mel, not getting enough?”

“She’s not getting any,” Gus said, “They’re sleeping in different rooms!”

Brian’s lids fluttered, and Justin knew he was torn between amusement and amazement. “That’s not the kind of information you share outside your own house, Gus,” he said.

Emmett giggled. “We need that kind of information, Brian. We don’t find out anything about them now that they live in Toronto!”

“Well, girls, if you need somebody to kick-start the marriage, just let me know!” Leda winked at Lindsay.

“How about we start by kicking you,” Mel said angrily.

Leda shook her head. “To think I used to call you sugar-lips. I think tart tongue is more like it today.”

Mel pushed back from the table and stomped into the house. Lifting her shoulders in silent apology, Lindsay went after her.



“Well, if the marriage’s in trouble, it’s no wonder Melanie is running off her mouth,” Debbie said.

“She could pick another target, though,” Justin said.

The look Brian shot him was one of surprise. What, hadn’t he expected him to back him up?

“Say, quite apart from the fact that he’s your son, isn’t that kid a little young to be checking you out, Brian?”

“Are you going commando?” Leda asked simultaneously.

“And you’d want to know that because?” Brian turned and looked down at Gus. “You’re right, Tucker. He’s too young to be checking me out. What’re you looking at, Gus?”

“I’m looking for dirt,” Gus said absentmindedly.

“In my line of work, you don’t get dirty,” Brian said, bending down so he could look into the boy’s eyes. “Why are you looking for dirt, Gus?”

“Mom Mel said you were filthy rich. I know you’re rich, but I didn’t know you were filthy.”

Just then, Melanie and Lindsay returned. Melanie had the grace to blush.

“Filthy money is what people say when they’re envious of another person’s possessions. As soon as the money drops into their own pockets, you can bet they think it’s sparkly clean,” Leda said sharply.

“Leeds,” Brian said warningly. “Gus, I think Mom Mel just meant that I have enough money.”

“You got more money than you know what to do with,” Debbie said. “I can’t get over the price for that car.”

“Brian works like fourteen hours a day,” Daphne said, and Justin wondered how she knew that. “He’s entitled to have fun with his money.”

“Can we please find a new topic,” Brian said.

“We can give you a new topic, precious.”

Justin studied the two newcomers.

They were older than Brian and Judson, maybe by ten years. Both were handsome, almost as tall as Brian, and looked slim and fit. One had dark curly hair and deep brown eyes; the other was blond with bright blue eyes. Both wore jeans with white shirts and sneakers. Justin wondered whether those smiles were meant to be as evil as they looked to him.

“Ken, Dave,” Judson grinned. “I was beginning to think you weren’t coming.”

“We’re late because we were coming,” the brunet said.

“Yeah. Like four or five times last night, and about four times today,” the blond added.

“You make it sound like that’s not normal,” Brian said.

“We were down to twice.”

“Twice a day? That’s pathetic,” Brian scoffed.

“Twice a week,” the brunet grinned.

Brian grimaced. “Thanks for sharing. Now let’s talk about something else. You make my dick go soft.”

“Brian!” Melanie protested, while Lindsay shook her head. Carl was grinning, which indicated to Justin that he had relaxed a little about the gay issue.

“Let’s. Let’s discuss irresponsible advertising.”

“Okay, so you’ve discovered the joys of Viagra. Congratulations. I’m sure we’re all happy for you. As for the rest, the Yellow Pages should have the address of a good therapist.”

“Brian, my precious. You don’t understand,” the brunet shook his head.

“I don’t understand. You got that right. What’s to understand, Ken?”

“We were watching a film last night. A film specifically chosen so it would bore us to sleep and give us an early night,” Dave said.

“Starsky and Hutch,” Ken said.

“Yuck,” Ted said.

“Ben Stiller. Eeew!” Emmett added.

“Too much information. I don’t want to know that much about your private life. It gives me the creeps,” Brian protested. “Fancy going to sleep with those dudes on your brain! That’s stuff for nightmares.”

“It gets better, my lovely,” Ken reassured with a menacing smile. “Right in the middle of a mind-blowingly dull scene, they broke for commercials. And while we were not particularly bothered about shampoo for red-heads, the new Pontiac, or that amazing brand of coffee, they were pleasantly boring and nothing to rouse us from our delightful daze. But then…”

“Bang!” Dave interjected loudly, making a few people jump.

“… it happened. We were up. In more sense than one. Very much up!”

Dave nodded sagely. “Oh yes. We were up. And coming.”

“And what do you know, for the first time in twelve years of living together, there was a third man in our bed. A man we both wanted there, a man we both fantasized about.”

“We think that guy owes us.”

“That’s nice for you,” Brian said.

“Actually, we think it’s crystal-clear the man ought to share,” Ken grinned.

Brian’s face lit with a bright smile. He took a step back. “Come on, guys. You don’t want to do that. I’m wearing Armani.”

“We’ll be happy to buy you a new suit.”

Laughing, both men started to wrestle Brian backward in the direction of the pool.

“Need help, Bri?” Judson asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Don’t you get involved,” Ken grinned. “It’s not healthy.”

Sniggering, Brian fought back.

Even the kids seemed to understand that all the shoving and jostling was just in jest, and perfectly good-natured. Everybody watched, grinning.

It took them a few minutes, but eventually Dave and Ken managed to hurl Brian into the pool.

Brian went down, and stayed under water.

“Not funny, Brian,” Ken said.

Judson strolled over to the pool and stood at the side. “Mr Kinney. Time’s up.”

“Did he hit his head?” Dave asked.

“Fuck,” Ken said. Both men kicked off theirs shoes and jumped in, feet first.

Brian propelled himself up; Judson reached out and pulled Brian out of the pool. They grinned at each other and Brian winked at Gus.

“Jerk,” Ken said, grinning. He and Dave grabbed the side of the pool and began to heave themselves up.

Smirking, Brian tossed back his wet hair and went down on his knees in front of them, legs spread wide. “I just love to share, boys.”

Justin bit his lip. Brian’s bedroom voice. Damn him.

Ken and Dave took one look at Brian’s crotch and dropped back into the water.

“Fuck you,” Dave muttered.

Brian grinned. “You wish.”

“Are you guys … coming … out?” Judson asked, smiling, tousling Brian’s hair.

“In a while,” Ken said.

“When we’re ready to pick another bone with Brian,” Dave added.

“That’s boner, I believe,” Brian said, getting to his feet in one smooth movement. “I’m here for you, guys.”

Judson chortled. “Shut up, Bri, or they’ll be spending the night in the damn pool.”

Brian shrugged. “I imagine they’ll get out when they’re all alone.”

“Weren’t you worried about your dad,” Jennifer asked Gus.

Gus shook his head. “Daddy can hold his breath for eighty seconds. He says it comes in handy when you’re having sex.”

Yeah, he remembered that. Only too well. Those treasured, long, too short eighty seconds. Justin watched as his mother’s eyes widened. Jennifer actually blushed.

Tucker laughed. “Did he say why?”

“He says he’ll tell me when I’m twelve,” Gus sighed. “I have to wait six more years!”

“Poor boy, Gus. You gonna tell me, Bri?”

Brian grinned at Tucker and shrugged. “Depends. You reckon you’re old enough?”



A young man in a courier’s uniform walked around the corner and asked, “Mr Kinney? Brian Kinney?”

Brian turned, and the dispatch rider gasped audibly. “It’s you. God.”

Brian smirked. “Mr Kinney will suffice.”

The courier swallowed, his eyes wide and fixed on Brian.

Justin could understand why.

The wet outfit clung to Brian, following every line, every contour of his body. The trousers might as well have been transparent, and the shirt wasn’t any better, with the loosened red tie pointing the way.

Brian spread his arms, his grin widening. “When you’ve taken in the view, will you tell me what you want?” Then he tilted his head. “Scratch that. What you want is quite obvious. Tell me why you’re here?”

“You’re hot. I mean, you’re wet.”

Justin almost felt sorry for the flustered youngster.

Brian smiled. “Both. Well spotted. And apart from cute, you are…?”

The messenger held out an envelope. “Courier. I need an autograph. I mean, a signature. And an ID. Please.”

“My … other … ID is in the car.” Brian walked toward the young man, who stepped back without taking his eyes off Brian.

Judson shook his head. “Go get your wallet, Brian. And why don’t you change into something less wet, and maybe less revealing.” He focused on the courier. “Come into the house and have a soda while you wait.”

Brian kept walking, pulling off his tie as he went. The messenger followed Judson with the air of an excited puppy.

Leda laughed. “The poor kid. Did you see his face!?”

“Well, now it’s firmly established that Brian does go commando,” Tucker grinned.

“And that he’s circumcised,” Jim added.

“I think Armani was designed to be worn wet.”

“At least on Brian, Molly,” Daphne agreed. “A sight for sore eyes, right?”

“He’s awesome,” Molly replied, and Justin was surprised to see his little sister share a feral smile with his oldest friend.



“Juice or soda,” Judson asked the courier, as Brian strode past the open-plan kitchen unit.

“Soda, please.”

Brian tossed his wallet on the counter. “Show him my ID, Judson, so that… what’s your name?”

The courier swallowed. “Steve. Sir.”

Brian shook his head. “Stop calling me Sir, you make me feel like a hundred years old. Fill in your paperwork, Steve, I won’t be long.”

Judson grinned to himself as he watched Steve watching Brian. A lot of people had that look, he mused.

“You reckon he’d give me his autograph?” Steve asked in a faraway voice.

Judson raised his eyebrows. “It’s not like he’s in films, you know.”

“He’s a model, though, isn’t he? I saw that ad for Crystal Clear last night. Man, was I glad I had the VCR running!”

“You like the ad, then? Gonna buy the water?”

“Heck, yes. I already told my mom we’d have to change our brand.”

“Your mom? You still living at home? How old are you?”

“Seventeen. I was lucky to get this job. If I save up, I can go to college in three or four years.”

Judson sighed. “Let me ask about the autograph, okay?”

“Sure,” Steve nodded and began scribbling on his notepad.

Brian came back, now dressed in white loafers, jeans and a white collared T-shirt. He had toweled his hair, but it was still damp, and he was smoking.

Judson tried to look at him as if for the first time. Tall, dark, handsome. Confident. Moving like a puma, looking like the god of sex. Shit. He’d fall for Brian over and over again. The man was irresistible.

“So, Steve, can I have the envelope?”

“Please sign here. And I’m supposed to wait, your response is required.”

Brian nodded and scribbled his name across the pad Steve held out. He tore open the envelope, and Judson saw that he pulled out a contract and a folded courier envelope.

“Another new account?”

Brian scanned the paperwork and nodded. “Yeah. I need to ratify this, Steve. It’ll take me a while to read it, fifteen minutes tops. Want a snack while you wait?”

Steve shook his head, “No, thanks, Mr Kinney. I’m fine.”

Brian swung himself on the barstool next to the messenger and began to read.

Judson had to suppress a smirk as Steve first tried to move away a little and then cautiously leaned in closer. Brian seemed to pay him no attention, but Judson had seen his eyes flick sideways. Even when he wasn’t hunting, Brian was still smelling out potential prey.

The forgotten soda halfway to his mouth, Steve looked at Brian, completely mesmerized.

Brian took a last drag on his cigarette and stubbed it out. Flicking his tongue across his lips, he flipped the page over.

Judson grinned. Another minute of this, and the kid would be on his knees, begging to give Brian head. As much fun as this was, they had a house full of people, and a few of them might just faint if they walked in on them. Steve would have to wait until another day.

Apparently, Brian had come to the same conclusion, because his demeanor changed subtly. Judson was always amazed how Brian could go from killer-mode to Kinnetik CEO in the blink of an eye, and he sensed Steve was too inexperienced to even interpret the alteration.

Brian reached over, and Judson held out one of the pens that always sat on the counter. Brian signed the contract and the copy, and put the copy back into the fresh envelope, sealing it.

He studied Steve, who blushed. “How come we haven’t seen you around Liberty Avenue?”

Steve hesitated, obviously taken aback by the question. “I don’t go there. I mean, if you do, everybody knows you’re gay, right?”

Brian shrugged. “I guess. Even though I know a bunch of straight people who go there. They’ve got jobs on Liberty, they like some of the clubs, whatever. You plan on hiding who you are for the rest of your life?”

Steve sighed. “My mom doesn’t need to know. She’s got enough to worry about.”

“Well, if you’re in the mood, come down to Penn Avenue. There’s a club called ‘The Three Ring Circus’, it’s mainly for gays and lesbians, but a lot of straight people go there, too. They’ve got a place for ballroom dancing, one where they play contemporary music and one disco that only plays music from the Seventies. We’re always there on Friday nights, not today though. Come to the disco next week. I’ll teach you some moves.”

Steve smiled. “Right. You’re having me on.”

Brian smiled back. “I’m not.”

Steve looked to Judson for confirmation. Judson grinned. “Believe it.”

Steve bit his lip, studying Brian’s face for a moment. “I guess now I got plans for next Friday.”

“That’s settled, then. Looking forward to seeing you there,” Brian said.

“Before I forget, can you sign this for Steve?”

Judson gave Brian one of the shots they had taken for the table water commercials. They had only needed three for print advertising, but Judson had kept all the photos. Brian looked just too delicious. This one was one of his favorites, so he had more than one. Brian was straddling a wooden chair, his left arm resting on the back, his chest bare and all but two buttons on his fly open. His hair was tousled, his skin glistened with what looked like water, and he held a bottle of table water in his dangling right hand. The tip of his tongue was on his upper lip, and he looked at the viewer from behind lowered lids. Brian looked disheveled enough to suggest he had just enjoyed some hot sex.

Brian grinned. “Now you’re having me on.”

“Am not,” Judson said. “Steve here promised to drink only Crystal Clear from now on. Right, Steve?”

“Right,” Steve confirmed eagerly, his voice hoarse.

“No kidding,” Brian said dryly. “You’re still having me on.”

“Please?” Steve said, his voice down to a whisper.

Brian looked at the young man for a long moment, and Judson wondered what he was thinking. Not that anybody would ever find out. Brian rarely shared his mind.

Finally, Brian shrugged and took the photo. He switched to one of the pens they normally marked photos with and wrote something, careful to leave the image alone. He slipped the photo into one of the clear plastic covers they always kept in one of the drawers, and then pushed it over to Steve.

“You don’t want your mother to see this,” he grinned. He took some cash out of his wallet and reached for the courier envelope, handing both to Steve. “Here, and thanks for taking this back.”

Steve looked, then protested, “That’s way too much money. I can’t accept it.”

“You can. I really appreciate getting this done before the weekend, and I know this place is out of the way for you. Plus, you had to wait.”

“I get paid for that.”

“Yeah, and we all know that dispatch riders make a bomb. Now, Steve, I have to put this into the safe and make a phone call. We’ll see you on Friday.”

“Friday,” Steve confirmed, his eyes following Brian as he left. Then he turned to Judson. “He gave me a hundred bucks. He must have made a mistake.”

Judson shook his head. “Don’t worry about it, Brian can afford to make mistakes like that. Only, he doesn’t. Obviously, he likes you. Put it in your college fund. Or buy yourself something hot to wear on Friday. What’s the writing say?”

Steve gaped at the photo. “Wow,” he breathed. “Intense!”

Judson came around the counter and looked over his shoulder to read what Brian had written.

‘To Steve, the sexy guy who delivers. Thanks! Love and luck, Brian Kinney’

Judson sighed. “Damn. I guess I have to ask for my own autograph.”

Steve grinned. “I need to get this mounted.”

Judson laughed. “I won’t tell him if you don’t.”

Steve hopped down from the barstool, reminding Judson how young he was. They walked out to his bike, and Steve carefully put first the photo, then the envelope into his bag.

Judson suppressed another grin. “Don’t go delivering the photo and keeping the contract!”

Steve smiled. “No way. That photo is mine.”

Judson relented. “Keep your VCR going. There’s more than one version of that commercial. And nab some of your mother’s girlie magazines; we’re running glossy print versions, too.”

Steve’s face lit. “Oh, I’ll have to start collecting then! My very own Brian Kinney collection!”

“Just don’t tell him I put you up to that,” Judson said.

“I won’t,” Steve kicked his bike into gear. “Have a good week!”

“And you,” Judson said, watching the youngster drive off.



Thanks for the dunk, guys. I needed to have somebody give me that kind of look. Not that I could ever admit that, of course.

More importantly… I needed Justin to give me that look. I was wondering before, but now I’m sure.

He wants me back. I want him back. The rest should be simple, right?

Fuck, if only I hadn't started anything with Judson. I don't want to hurt Judson.

Shit.

Be honest, Kinney. If necessary, you will.

Fuck you, Justin. You make me ruthless.



Judson strolled back to the pool, to find that Ted had his notebook open and almost everybody was crowded around him. Daphne and Leda looked on disapprovingly, and Jennifer had her arms crossed, one foot tapping impatiently.

Leda indicated he should join the assembly with a tilt of her head, so Judson stood behind Justin, looking at the smallish screen. He frowned.

“This is the first one, the others are even hotter,” Ted said.

“That one is hot enough, thank you,” Ken said.

“It gets better,” Ted promised.

Just then, the second commercial commenced.

First, the focus was on the bottle of water standing next to a pool. Then it switched to Brian, swimming toward the camera with sure swift strokes, smoothly drawing himself up to the side. Tiny droplets glinted on his even skin. Brian took a deep swallow from the bottle of water, the camera on the movement of his throat; then it went back to his face. Brian licked his upper lip and his eyes widened. “Crystal Clear water. I’d love to share.”

“Ugh,” Justin muttered. “Bad.”

“Yeah,” Dave said. “It’s a good job he’s not selling cars. I’d buy.”

“And me,” Molly grinned. Justin elbowed her, and Molly looked down her nose at him.

There was a brief countdown, then the third commercial played out.

Brian walked away from the camera, wearing a white tank top and a tight pair of low riding white jeans that showed nothing but promised everything. He had three bottles of water in one hand, and an alluring girl on his arm. Another dazzling girl walked next to them. Brian turned and winked.

There were several gasps.

Judson smirked. Brian had been right. It worked.

“Crystal Clear water,” Brian said softly. “I’ll share.”

The camera moved away a little, and showed an attractive young man sprawled on a low bench. Brian met his eyes, moistening his lips, and the man got up and followed him.

“Wow,” Justin said. “That’s hot. And daring.”

Judson shrugged. “It’s time we catered to the gay community. Besides, it’s not clear whether he’s sharing the girls. Sub-text.”

He was about to turn away when there was another countdown. “Wait. There are only three spots.”

Ted shook his head. “There are four. And this one is the best. Pure wanking material.”

The camera showed a dark room, a single spot of white light shining on a black recliner. Brian lounged in it, obviously naked, his head thrown back. The camera slowly moved in on him, picking out the thick lashes resting against his cheek and the fine line of perspiration on his upper lip. Brian had a look that clearly said, ‘just shagged’.

Brian picked up one of the bottles of water that stood next to the chair and brought it to his mouth, his eyes still closed. He opened his lips and, the bottle not touching them, trickled the water down his throat.

“Shit,” Justin whispered.

Judson swallowed, his throat very dry.

Suddenly, Brian was caught in a shower of tiny ice-cubes that poured from above. Brian arched his back in surprise, then stretched languorously and sighed blissfully. “More water,” he murmured huskily, “just what I needed.”

Judson heard the collective sighs around him and was certain that everybody had a sudden intimate interest in one Brian Kinney. He remembered that first time in the loft, when Brian had poured cold water all over himself. Hot. He still got a hard-on, just from the memory.

On screen, Brian shook some of the sparkling ice out of his hair, the rest melting on his skin, leaving silver lines that caught the light. Without looking, he picked up another water bottle, rested it between his legs for a long moment and then drew it up his chest to his lips. He swirled his tongue around the opening, and finally dipped it into the small ring.

“Fuck,” Ken said hoarsely. “That’s too good to be true.”

Slowly moving the bottle back down his body, Brian visibly took a deep breath. The ice slithered across his body, the trickling water enhancing the sensuous scene. Brian brought the bottle back up to his lips, coiling his tongue around the hole suggestively. He turned his head toward the camera, his eyes dark and wide open, and a sly smile playing on his lips.

“Get your own. I’m not sharing.” He tilted his head back and thirstily drank down the water.

“I don’t believe this,” Tucker muttered. “I just creamed my jeans. Over a guy. Over Brian.”

“Get changed,” Jennifer said sternly, but there was a twinkle in her eyes.

Molly bit her lip and made her way into the house, followed by Lindsay. Debbie shook her head, and Melanie looked murderous.

Judson had to bite his tongue as almost everybody hurried off, their gait slightly stilted.

He had watched that scene at least a hundred times, and it still affected him. But he’d have to deal with Schmidt first.

“Where did you get that?” Annoyed, he realized his voice wasn’t quite steady.

Ted shrugged. “Where everybody got their copies. Mark.”

“What? What do you mean, everybody?”

Just then, Brian came out of the house, one kid on either hand. “I found these guys in front of the TV. On a day like this,” he said. “Where is everybody?”

Melanie guffawed. “Ted shared, and now they all have to find clean clothes.”

“Ted shared what?” Brian asked, puzzled.

“Ice-cubes,” Judson said.

Brian blushed and swallowed. “You don’t mean…”

“I mean. Apparently, it’s the unaired fourth spot.”

“But that’s the one CC liked best,” Ted said. “They’ll air it. They did say only after 10 p.m., though.”

Brian paled. “What do you mean, CC liked it? That was never supposed to go out, that’s private!”

Melanie smirked. “Poor Brian. Looks like you’ve gone from ad-man to porn star.”

Brian swallowed. “Start over. How come CC got hold of that?”

“They called when you were in Boston,” Ted shrugged. “They asked whether we could give them another spot. I wanted to discuss it with Cynthia, but she had the day off and CC seemed in a hurry. The only guys there were Vic and Mark, and Vic is too junior. So, I consulted with Mark. I knew he had this material on his hard-drive, took another look at it and decided the quality is good enough for TV. So, we sent it to CC and they were really happy with it.”

“Fuck. You’re out of your mind,” Brian said. “Tell me this is a joke.”

“No joke,” Ted said. “They paid an additional 90 grand for it.”

“Get into the house. Now.” Brian’s frown had deepened.

Ted waved a negligent hand. “It’s no big deal, Brian. CC got what they wanted, and Kinnetik made some extra cash. Everybody’s happy.”

“Yeah. Only your boss isn’t. And that should be your main concern, keeping me happy. How the fuck did Mark get hold of that material?”

Ted sighed. “I guess somebody broke into your files. It’s easy enough; you can purchase software that decodes passwords.”

“That’s called hacking,” Judson said coldly. “And it’s illegal.”

“Ted,” Brian sounded strained. “I told you to take all clients’ requests to Vic, didn’t I?”

Ted shrugged. “Sure. But the kid’s too inexperienced to know what sells.”

One by one, people came back to the pool, watching the scene curiously.

Judson noticed that Justin looked worried, and so did Ben and Calvin. Michael was smirking; and Emmett frowned.

Brian let go of the two children and stepped up to Ted’s chair. Ted looked up at Brian towering over him and shrunk into his seat.

“You think I’m stupid, Ted?” Brian’s tone was icy. “I know why you didn’t take this to Vic. Vic is way too decent to have pulled a stunt like that. But you and Mark, you got on like a house on fire. Swapping porn urls, sharing dirty photos and vids… all on my time, I might add. One look at that scene and you must’ve known that was never designed to go out. What the fuck got into you guys?”

“Calm down, Brian. It’s no big deal,” Debbie laughed. “Everybody and the President have seen your ass. Heck, even I’ve seen your ass. And your assets.”

Brian took a deep breath. “My office, Schmidt. A week Monday, nine o’clock sharp.”

He turned on his heel and walked back to the house, every step conveying his anger.

“What’s with him,” Debbie wondered. “He’s not gone shy on us all of a sudden, has he?”

Judson bit his lip, attempting to control his mounting temper. “There’s every possibility that with that one commercial, Brian’s professional reputation is down the drain. You must’ve known that, Ted. Quite apart from the fact that you’re just a fucking accountant. You shouldn’t even stick your nose into the art department, much less get involved in the decision making.”

“I don’t know what you’re worried about, Big Chief,” Melanie said. “Brian’s Mr Teflon. Shit doesn’t stick to him. He’ll turn this into an advantage, you’ll see.”

“How many people have seen this, Ted?”

Ted shrugged. “It’ll be on nation-wide TV next week, what do you care?”

“Answer me.”

“Huh. He can get fearsome, can’t he,” Debbie smirked, chewing her gum.

“Yeah,” Melanie said. “Wait for it, he’s gonna bring out his tomahawk any minute now.”

Judson kept his eyes on Schmidt, letting the childish remarks wash over him.

Ted caved. “Most everybody at the office, apart from Cynthia.”

“Vic? Hunter?”

“No, we didn’t share with them. They’re too young.”

“Besides, they would’ve gone straight to Brian. Which you should have done, if you were any kind of friend. Or a half decent guy. Or a loyal employee. Clearly, you’re none of those.”

Ted looked sheepish, but shrugged. “Whatever.”

“I can’t believe you did this,” Blake whispered, leaning toward Ted. “Brian’s always been good to you.”

“Yeah,” Ted muttered. “He gave me a really good, boring job.”

Blake leaned back. “But he did give you a job. When nobody else would.”

Emmett put an arm around Blake’s shoulder. “Don’t worry, sweetheart. We all go way back. Brian’s going to be furious for a while, and then it’ll blow over.”

Daphne shook her head. “Yeah, you all go way back. Then why don’t any of you know that Brian is an ultra-private person?”

“Private?” Debbie snorted, “Honey, your private person has been seen fucking more guys on Liberty Avenue than I have served breakfasts at the Diner!”

Daphne looked at her coldly. “You’ve known him the longest, apart from Michael. And you two still don’t know anything about him. Fucking some guy doesn’t have to be private. But that clip was stolen from his personal computer, and shown around the office. And then sent to a client. How would you feel if Carl posted naked shots of you at the precinct, or at the Diner?”

Debbie looked taken aback. “That’s different.”

“Sure, Debbie. Things are always different where Brian is concerned.” Jennifer got up, shaking her head. “I’m taking a walk.”

“I’m coming with you,” Justin said, falling into step with her.

“And me,” Molly joined them.
1