Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

Beth has been having problems accessing the site so I’m posting her chapters for her as she sends them to me. Chapters 20 and 21 were lost in the back up last night and those two are being re-posted. Anyone who reviewed these two chapters, would you please, please, review again? I’m sending the reviews to her. Thank you  :  )

Janet (starfire64)- admin   

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Did you see that;” Michael wailed at the cop, from his prone position on the floor. “He hit me! Brian Kinney hit me!”

 

He sounded like a kid in a schoolyard, telling on a friend. And Brian had put up with that kind of thing for twenty years?

 

“I didn't see anything,” the cop said coldly after exchanging a quick look with Carl. He reached for a clean serviette and handed it to Michael. “Here you are. You have a nosebleed, that’s all.”

 

Michael finally scrambled to his feet. “Mom, you won’t let me go to prison, will you?”

 

Debbie looked at him, her face white. “After what you just said to Sunshine? After all that poor boy has been through? After all we’ve been through with him?”

 

“After all he and Brian have been through,” Emmett corrected. “Oh my god! That's what you said, isn’t it? Michael, that’s what you said at the party, when Brian hit you, isn’t it?”

 

Michael lifted his chin belligerently. “Yes. And I’ll repeat it as often as necessary!”

 

“Well,” the cop shrugged and put handcuffs on him. “You won’t be repeating it here. My partner is probably already wondering why this is taking so long. Let's go.”

Michael put up a weak struggle, but the cop easily dragged him away.

 

“Debbie. I’ll drive you into town,” Carl said. “I can’t believe Hunter went to the police! What a guy!”

 

Ben rubbed the bridge of his nose. “Hunter has become a very principled young man. I’d have expected no less.”

 

Debbie wiped tears from her eyes. “I have to talk to Sunshine first, apologize to him.”

 

“You'd do well to apologize to Brian, too,” Jennifer said warningly. “Justin won’t accept your apology if you don't.”

 

“Brian doesn't care,” Debbie said. “He doesn’t give a shit. Other people would maybe get a little annoyed, but Brian has to put on a huge show. He never does anything quietly. How can he send Michael to prison, they’ve been best friends for years!”

 

Carl got to his feet. “You need to do some serious thinking, Debbie. I think we should leave. If you don’t see that you owe Brian even more of an apology than you do Justin, you’re not the person I thought you were. I’m not going to let you add to the hullabaloo.”

 

“We’ve really had more than enough excitement for one night,” Judson said. “Give it a few days, Debbie.”

 

“You’re not at home here anymore,” Debbie said angrily. “Don’t you dare tell me what to do!”

 

Carl grabbed her arm. “Enough, Debbie. I mean it,” he said sternly. “Somebody please tell Brian I’ll come by to pick up our stuff.”

 

Judson nodded. “You got it. Poker at mine next Wednesday?”

 

Carl smiled at him. “I’m in. Gotta rehash those fireworks!”          

 

Laughing, Judson nodded. “Yeah, right. Give us a call; let us know how you’re getting on.”

 

“I’ll do that. Bye, everybody,” Carl hauled Debbie along, who was grumbling under her breath.

 

Emmett exchanged a quick look with Calvin, who nodded. They both got up. “Well, this was simply fabulous,” Emmett smiled. “We’ve had a great time. But now we really must be going.”

 

“Don’t you desert Brian,” Shane said. “Do you really want to stick it out with Ted and Michael?”

 

“It has nothing to do with them.” Emmett shook his head. “I don’t want anything to do with them after what we just found out. But I also don’t want to be a constant reminder of tonight’s events. I’ll write Brian an email and explain.”

 

“Do you really think we need a reminder,” Daphne said. “Stay, Emmett.”

 

Mel nodded. “I think Brian would appreciate that. Show him that you give a shit.”

 

Emmett bit his lip. “If you’re sure…”

 

“I’m sure,” Shane said.

 

“Yes,” Mel added.

 

Jim smiled. “I guess I’ll go and see how Doogie Howser MD is doing on that hand. It did look like a nasty nick.”

 

Matt shrugged. “Brian probably cut himself on the forked tongue of that asshole.”

 

Jim walked into the kitchen to find Justin pressing an ice-pack against Brian’s hand.

 

“I wish you hadn’t touched that rat. Are your tetanus shots up to date,” Jim heard him ask.

 

“I keep horses,” Brian sounded as if he were rolling his eyes. “Of course my shots are up to date.”

 

“How’s the hand,” Jim asked, stepping closer. Brian did roll his eyes at him.

 

“I cleaned the cut,” Justin said, still focused on his task. “But it’s already swelling up.”

 

“Let me see,” Jim demanded, praying silently that Brian wouldn’t have to fight an infection on top of everything else.

 

Sighing, Brian pulled his hand out of Justin’s grip and it held out for inspection. “I’m fine, Jim. Really.”

 

“Why don’t you let me be the judge of that,” Jim gently took Brian's wrist and turned his hand into the light for a better look. “What did you use to clean the cut?”

 

Justin pointed at the bottle; Jim glanced at the benzalkonium chloride solution and nodded. “Good. Brian. Your hand is swollen from the blow, not from the cut. I didn’t know you were a boxer.”

 

Brian made a face. “Try being gay and attending community school.”

 

“Did you hit his nose?”

 

“His jaw. Didn’t want to break anything. Can you imagine Debbie if I had?”

 

Justin wrapped his arms around his waist, and Brian slipped his right arm around his shoulders and looked into his face.

 

Jim had the distinct feeling he wasn't needed. “Keep some ice on that hand,” he advised. “I’ll go back outside.”

 

 

“That’s why you hit Michael that time?”

 

Brian sighed. “Don’t, Justin.”

 

“I was watching,” Justin confessed. “I know you were trying to get rid of him, and he just kept at you.”

 

“Water under the bridge,” Brian said. “I think we both need to go wash up.”

 

Justin held tight. “I’m sorry, Brian.”

 

“Sorry is bullshit,” Brian said. “You didn’t do anything to apologize for.”

 

Justin raised his eyebrows. “I think I do. I made such a mess of everything.”

 

Brian tilted his head. “I thought we had decided we both fucked up and leave it at that?”

 

“We had, but…” Justin gestured helplessly. “All this?”

 

“Justin. Listen to me. Are you listening?”

 

Justin nodded.

 

Brian ran a gentle thumb across his cheekbone. “’All this’ is the result of Michael’s mendacity. You didn’t do anything to cause it. Let it go, Justin.”

 

Justin sighed and leaned back into Brian’s embrace.

 

 

As they had all been waiting for Brian and him, everybody’s eyes went to Justin when he stepped out onto the terrace.

 

Justin smirked. “I so love being the center of attention. Listen, guys, pretend we’re back to normal. And leave Brian alone. No crummy jokes, no snappy one-liners. He’s had enough of those for one day.”

 

“Where is Brian,” Jennifer asked, her concern evident. Shane really did like that woman.

 

“Fetching the kids,” Justin explained. He looked at Mel. “Can you save the comments until tomorrow?”

 

Mel smiled. “I don't even have any comments. Don’t worry, I’ll make nice.”

 

Justin nodded. “Where’s Debbie? We have to get her out of here.”

 

“Already gone,” Ben smiled. “Carl is a decent sort.”

 

“Good. I’m going to try and get Brian to eat, so would you all please get yourselves something to nibble on?”

 

Shane tilted his head. “Going to manage Brian, are you, Justin?”

 

Justin returned his look calmly. “You can either help, or leave well alone. Up to you.”

 

“Ooh,” Emmett enthused, “Justin is back. You go, honey.”

 

Justin smiled. “Where did Judson go, I need a word.”

 

Shane turned. “I didn’t even see him leave. He’ll be back. Listen, I’ll put the fire on, let’s see whether we can get Brian to sit in front of that.”

 

Justin nodded. “Good idea. I’ll go find a sweater for him, just in case he wants to sit elsewhere.”

 

Shane smiled to himself and busied himself with the open fireplace.

 

“What was all that about,” Jennifer asked.

 

Shane looked up. “Brian’s always cold after a scene.”

 

“I never noticed that,” Mel said, sounding surprised.

 

“You wouldn’t,” Shane said. “You’d need to touch him to know.”    

 

“Well,” Tucker said, getting up. “Let's do what Justin suggested. What do you want to eat, Jen?”

 

Jennifer thought for a moment. “I guess I’ll try the Jamaican chicken. It looks delicious.”

 

“Me, too,” Molly said.

 

Soon, everybody was crowded around the buffet, where the staff had been talking quietly amongst themselves.

 

Justin walked into Brian's wardrobe to find Judson packing a few things into a bag. “What are you doing,” he asked, even though he had a feeling he knew.

 

Judson smiled and pointed. “Sweaters over there. You can probably get him into the blue cashmere, it's his favorite.”

 

Justin nodded and grabbed the pullover. “So, what are you doing?”

 

“Making room for you,” Judson said, sounding amused.

 

Justin turned to look at him. “Shit. I feel rotten.”

 

Judson shook his head. “No need. I knew from the start Brian wasn't over you. Now that I’ve seen you together, I know why.”

 

“So, you’re just walking out,” Justin asked, fighting disbelief.

 

“Don't say anything about giving Brian up just like that, or I might reconsider,” Judson warned, grinning.

 

Justin lifted his shoulders. “Maybe that's not what Brian wants.”

 

“It's not what he wants,” Judson admitted softly. “Even Brian Kinney has a very deeply hidden wish for peace and quiet and smooth sailing. It's what he needs, though.”

 

‘You give them something they might not want, so you need to figure out whether the need is greater than the want-not,’ Justin heard Brian’s voice say.

 

When had he said that, and to whom?

 

Friday evening, to Gus. Was that really only a few days ago?

 

Nodding, Justin said, “You think like Brian. Maybe he needs that?”

 

Judson swallowed. “Don’t try and talk me out of it, Justin. That's hardly fair. I know Brian needs you, and I know you want him. I have a feeling you need him, but you’re not ready to acknowledge that.”

 

“My life’s a mess,” Justin sighed. “I’m not sure what Brian wants from me. I do need Brian. I want to be with him. I miss him like crazy when we’re not together. But we can't seem to get it right.”

 

“Too many people butting in,” Judson said. “Stop listening. Go with your first instinct. You have good instincts about Brian, we’ve seen that. I’m here for you if you want help, or if you need to vent. I know Brian can drive you up the wall.”

 

Justin nodded slowly. “Thank you. You're still Brian's friend, aren’t you?”

 

“He won't lose me,” Judson said. “And if you run away again, I swear I’ll follow you and drag your cute little bubble butt back to him. By that pretty blond scalp of yours!”

 

Justin closed his eyes for a moment. “It’d probably be easier if you stopped me leaving in the first place.”

 

“You got it,” Judson laughed. “I’ll tie you to his bed until you come to your senses.”

 

“Kinky,” Justin grinned. “I like it.”

 

Surprising him, Judson stepped closer and pulled him into a strong hug. “You’re not alone, Justin. I’ll help. Shane will help. Ken and Dave, and Jim - we’re all betting on the house. You’ll get it right this time.”

 

Remembering the bets their so-called friends had taken against the success of their relationship in Debbie’s kitchen that one evening, Justin returned the embrace. He hoped Brian knew that he had people who loved him. True love, not the sham that Michael’s affection had become.

 

After a moment, Judson drew back. “Go get your stuff and move in. Nobody will notice, they're too busy hovering over Brian.”

 

“Maybe Brian would prefer it if I didn’t,” Justin said uncertainly.

 

Judson shook his head. “Don’t let him sleep alone, Justin. Not tonight. The demons are already under the bed, waiting for him.”

 

Justin paused, then nodded. “You’re right. Where are you going?”

 

Judson shrugged. “I’ll find a place. Don’t worry about me.”

 

“I can't say I’m sorry,” Justin said hesitantly. “But I am. Does that make sense?”

 

“Perfect sense,” Judson smiled. “You’re a nice guy, Justin.”

 

 

Shane watched surreptitiously as Brian came outside, a kid on each hand. Where was Justin?

 

“Some fish please, Daddy,” Gus said. “I like fish. And some salad.”

 

Brian nodded and filled his plate. “Here you are, enjoy!”

 

“I will,” Gus grinned. “Roar! Roar! I’m a voracious wolf tonight!”

 

“Voracious, seriously?” Brian laughed.

 

Gus nodded eagerly. “I promised, didn't I? I keep my promises, just like you do. Voracious is my new word for the day, Daddy! And I taught JR to say ravenous.”

“I'm really proud of you, that's a great new word. I was wondering earlier where JR had learned to say ravenous. Well done, Gus, on both counts,” Brian said earnestly. “So. What about you, princess?”

 

“Yes,” JR smiled at him. “Me, too.”

 

“You, too, what?”

 

“Vo… vora… that,” JR said.

 

“Vo-ra-cious,” Brian said slowly, repeating himself. “Can you say it? Voracious?”

 

“Voracious,” JR said. “And ravenous!”

 

“Well done, JR! I'm very proud of you, too. We’ll have to do something about that. How about some chicken?”

 

“Like chicken,” JR beamed at Brian. “And fries.”

 

“Fries again? Look, I’ll give you some fries, and you’ll try some of these honeyed carrots for me, okay? I know you like honey.”

 

JR nodded. “I’ll do that. For you. Because I love you. So much!” She spread her arms.

 

Brian smiled, put the plate down and swept the little girl up into a hug. “Love you too, sweetheart!”

 

He carried JR and her plate to the table. “Where do you want to sit?”

 

Melanie had moved closer to the fireplace, leaving Lindsay to stare into her glass with a morose expression. “Come and sit with me, JR.”

 

JR looked undecided, shooting a quick look at Lindsay, then glancing at Brian from under her lashes. “Dada comes with me?”

 

Brian nodded. “Sure, I’ll sit with you.”

 

Gus followed them and sat next to Melanie.

 

Mel winked at Shane, and Shane grinned to himself. She wasn’t so bad, after all.

 

Judson sat next to him. “Quite the spectacle, eh,” he murmured in an undertone.

 

Shane sighed. “Where will you sleep?”

 

Judson shot him a surprised look. “What?”

 

“I know you. You got out of the way for boy toy.”

 

Judson shook his head. “You need to stop calling him that. Justin is anything but. Did you really think Brian would fall for somebody who can't hold their own against him?”

 

“I guess not,” Shane sighed. “So, where?”

 

Judson grinned. “I had thought about one of the suddenly empty guest-rooms.”

 

“You don't want to sleep on those sheets,” Shane said immediately.

 

“No, I don’t. Mind a room-mate?”

 

Shane smiled. “Depends. Is he cute?”

 

“Very cute,” Dave grinned. He had obviously overheard part of their conversation. “If you don’t want him, we’ll make room for him.”

 

“He’s pretty damn gorgeous,” Ken nodded, sitting down with his plate of Chicken Milanese. “Notice how nobody wants fettuccine anymore? I wonder why that is?”

 

They all laughed.

 

“Shame about you and Brian,” Ken said, serious again.

 

Judson shrugged easily. “You’ve seen them. I never stood a chance.”

 

“I’m afraid you didn’t,” Dave agreed candidly. “I can’t make up my mind whether that relationship was created in heaven or concocted in hell!”

 

“Heads in the clouds, roots in the past,” Judson smiled. “They’ll do it, this time.”

 

“What makes you so sure,” Dave wanted to know.

 

“We’ll help,” Judson said confidently.

 

“Oh, we will, will we,” Ken smirked. “What if we don’t feel like it?”

 

“Want a Cherokee after your scalp,” Judson showed his teeth in a dangerous smile.

 

“Oops. We’ll help, we’ll help,” Shane said, pretending to be terrified.

 

“I thought you'd see it my way,” Judson said, digging into his spinach salad with an appetite.

 

Justin came out of the house and draped a sweater across Brian's shoulders.

 

“Don’t argue,” Jennifer heard him say softly.

 

Brian looked up at him with a raised eyebrow, but pulled the sweater into a more comfortable position.

 

Justin smiled. “I’m going to get myself something to eat. What do you want?”

 

Jennifer suppressed her smile. Clever.

 

Brian hesitated, his expression darkening slightly. It didn't seem to faze Justin in the least.

 

He adopted a bored waiter’s tone, and Jennifer suddenly wondered how her sassy son had coped at the diner. “Trouble making up your mind, Sir? May I help? I recommend the smoked salmon, it’s delicious. Or maybe some Jamaican Jerk Chicken?”

 

Brian made a face. “Jerk yourself. Salmon, please.”

 

Justin smiled. “Good choice. I recommend Evian to go with that, it’s a very good year.”

 

Brian laughed and got up, shrugging into the sweater. “No way. I think there’s some Pinot Noir in the icebox.”

 

“Red wine with fish,” Tucker said, “What got into you, Brian?”

 

Brian took the bottle out and opened it, bringing it back to the table with some glasses. “Didn’t I tell you? I went to a wine-tasting in France last year. Apparently, in Europe, they’ve been breaking the ‘only white wine with fish’ rule for a while. A fruity red wine actually goes really well with smoked salmon, especially when it’s been cooled. Adds something new to the taste.”

 

Tucker shook his head. “I think I’m too scared to try that.”

 

Shane grinned. “You’re missing something. I was doubtful, too, but the combination is pretty stunning.”

 

Justin returned to the table with two plates. Jennifer saw that he had gone back to the Jamaican chicken, but left the fettuccine.

 

“Try the Verdicchio to go with that,” Brian suggested. “How about you, Jennifer?”

 

Jennifer nodded.

 

For a while, there was idle chatter, people enjoying the food and the company. Jennifer thought that this was exactly the kind of thing Brian needed, and maybe had hoped for.

 

She glanced at her watch, wondering whether that could be right. It wasn’t even eight yet.

 

At least Brian had eaten most of the smoked salmon Justin had put on his plate, and Justin seemed well satisfied with that. He had filled a glass with Evian and put it next to Brian’s plate, and Jennifer smiled when she saw that Brian only had two glasses of wine and then stuck to the water.

 

After watching Brian for a while, JR suddenly got up and determinedly marched over to speak to the server. The woman laughed, glanced over at Brian, and handed her a Popsicle.

 

“She’ll be big and fat with all the sweets she eats,” Lindsay grumbled.

 

Gus shot her a dirty look, glancing at Brian.

 

“Christ, Lindsay, will you leave the kid alone? She’s downright skinny. They’re on holiday, let them have some fun,” Brian shook his head.

 

JR came up to Brian, wordlessly handing him the ice-cream. Brian grinned and unwrapped it, offering it back to her. “Here you go, JR, enjoy!”

 

JR shook her head. “Dada has boo-boo,” she explained importantly, pointing to Brian’s knuckles. “You need ice on that.”

 

Brian bit his lip, eyes suddenly damp. “Thank you so much, JR! That’s awfully nice of you!”

 

“Kiss better?” JR offered solicitously, head tilted.

 

“Yes please! Hold this for me, Justin,” Brian gave Justin the Popsicle and pulled JR into his lap. JR peppered his face with kisses, and Brian smiled widely.

 

“Thank you, JR, I feel much better now!” Brian gently ruffled the girl’s hair. “You are such a darling!”

 

JR nodded, clearly very satisfied with herself. “Ice-cream now, it’s vanilla. I know dada likes vanilla.”

 

“Dada does,” Shane smirked. “That’s news to me!”

 

“Who would’ve guessed,” Matt grinned. “Vanilla, Brian? Really?”

 

“We’re talking ice-cream here, boys!” Emmett laughed. “Aren’t we?”

 

It took Jennifer a moment to catch on, and then she felt herself blush. Molly was frowning, and looking to Leda for help, who mouthed, “Later!” Jennifer hoped they’d forget.

 

“Dada has vanilla at the parlor,” JR explained.

 

“And you remember what I like,” Brian said, his delight evident. “Thank you, again.”

 

He took the ice-cream off Justin and began to lick, making an appreciative sound that clearly wasn’t lost on Justin, who shifted uncomfortably. Jennifer rolled her eyes.

 

JR grinned at Brian. “Boo-boo all better soon, Dada!”

 

“It’s already much better,” Brian smiled. “You’re a great help! Did you eat all your carrots?"

 

“Nice carrots,” JR said. “Yummy!”

 

Brian nodded. “I thought you’d like those. I see Gus has finished eating. Why don’t you go get yourself a Popsicle, and bring one for your brother, too.”

 

JR slanted a look at Lindsay, shaking her head sadly. “Can’t. Mom says I’ll be fat, like Jane.”

 

Brian raised an eyebrow. “And is Jane fat?”

 

Lindsay giggled. “She’s not fat. Just don’t take her up Troy Hill, cos she’ll roll down!”

 

Brian’s eyes narrowed angrily, and he frowned at her. “When we had Gus, we said we’d bring him up without stupid prejudices. What became of that?”

 

Gus snorted. “Mom is stupid. Jane is sick, and we’re not.”

 

Melanie sighed. “Jane has Hashimoto, the poor thing. Go get that ice-cream, JR, you won’t get fat, I promise!”

 

JR looked at Brian. “Dada promise?”

 

“I promise,” Brian said instantly.

 

JR stuck out her tongue at Lindsay and ran over to get the Popsicles.

 

“Nice,” Lindsay muttered. “Is anybody going to tell her off?”

 

“No,” Brian said sternly. “I’m going to tell you off, once you’re sober again!”

 

Jennifer saw that Gus quickly hid his grin behind his hand.

 

Brian winked at him; and Melanie took a deep breath.

 

JR came back with the Popsicles, and Brian and the kids contentedly had their ice-cream together.

 

Jennifer noticed Judson leaving the patio, and after finishing his ice-cream, Brian followed him.

 

Justin talked to Gus, quietly. From his tone, Jennifer guessed he was answering questions.

 

Jennifer sighed to herself. Brian had seemed so content with Judson. Still, she hadn't seen that kind of expression when he was with Judson. That softening of his face, the light in the hazel eyes – that was reserved for her Justin. If Justin fucked up this time, she’d kill him.

 

Tucker smiled at her. “Don’t get the hatchet out just yet, Jen. Give the boy a chance first,” he murmured quietly.

 

Ken caught her eye and winked.

 

Judson watched Brian walk into the room, observing his gait and the set of his shoulders.

 

“You ought to get some sleep,” he suggested.

 

Brian snorted. “Yeah, right.”

 

Judson shrugged. “What’s stopping you?”

 

Brian rolled his eyes. “We have guests.”

 

“You have guests,” Judson corrected softly. No point in delaying the inevitable.

 

Brian frowned and drew his lips into his mouth. “So I got that right? You ditch me and Justin moves in?”

 

“Technically, you’re ditching me,” Judson said. “I just made the decision for you.”

 

“You make it easy,” Brian said quietly, stepping closer. “How do you know that’s the decision I would have made?”

 

“It's the right decision,” Judson replied, drawing Brian into a loose embrace. “You’ve been wanting him back ever since he got on that plane to NY.”

 

Brian sighed and returned the hug. “But I’m losing you.”

 

“Come off it,” Judson smiled. “Other people go from being friends to being friends with benefits. We simply do it the other way round. You’re not losing anything. You’re winning Justin back.”

 

Brian drew a deep breath. “Christ, I love you.”

 

“I know that. But Justin – that’s something more than love.”

 

“You’re staying with Shane, yes?”

 

Justin smirked. “Jealous?” He knew better.

 

Brian inclined his head. “I want to make sure you're alright. Both of you.”

 

“Don’t worry about me, Bri. I knew this day was coming. I also know you would’ve preferred to wait until you come back in September. But Justin needs to know where he stands. So do you.”

 

“And what about you? What do you need?”

 

Judson shrugged. “I need to get over you. It’ll be easier knowing you’re out of town and with Justin.”

 

Brian sighed heavily. “Did you tell him to move in, or was that his idea?”

 

“I told him. You’re sincere, Brian. Try as you might, you can't hide what you feel for him. And I know you have been trying. For once, the feeling is stronger than you are. Be selfish for a change. Make sure you get what you need.”

 

“What do I need?”

 

Judson grinned. “Justin. I think that's pretty much all you need. The rest –” he gestured to indicate the house and everything in it, “– is just the icing on the cake.”

 

Squeezing his waist, Brian whispered, “Thank you. For not making it as difficult as it could’ve been.”

 

“I don’t want to hurt you. You deserve easy. I’ve had a wonderful time with you, and that’s something I’ll have forever.”

 

Brian leaned back and looked into his eyes. “I would have been lonely without you.”

 

Judson smiled. “I’m not going anywhere, Brian. Unless Justin needs me to leave.”

 

“I’m not letting you go,” Brian said, tightening his hold. “Justin isn’t like that.”

 

“Look, I would have agreed to a threesome, you know that. And with your marketing abilities, you probably could’ve sold the idea to Justin.”

 

Brian sighed. “I think he’d be able to cope, actually. But I can’t. I’d be with you and wonder whether he's jealous. I’d spend time with him and wonder whether you need to be with me.”

 

Judson nodded. “I’m glad you know that. You’d kill yourself trying to give each of us enough of Brian Kinney. You’re too sensitive to live like that.”

 

Brian smiled weakly. “Don’t tell anybody. They’ll think I’ve gone soft.”

“Drop it,” Judson said firmly, pulling Brian closer. “We know you. You don't want the old facade with us, remember? No public image to protect. We love you the way you are, for who you are. Fucking keep that in mind. Don’t go back into hiding just because of a handful of jerks.”

 

“You give such great pep-talks,” Brian murmured, leaning into his hold.

 

Judson laughed softly. “That’s why you hired me.”

 

Their eyes met, and, slowly, they moved together for a tender kiss. They broke apart reluctantly.

 

Judson watched the shift of emotions in the hazel eyes he had learned to read, and understood that easy was still difficult for Brian. Smiling, he started to hum.

 

Brian burst into laughter. “Christ, that’s so camp! That even beats Emmett!”

 

Judson shrugged and took a few steps, pulling Brian with him. Brian shook his head, but took the lead in their impromptu dance, both of them hearing the melody and the unsung words in their minds –

 

… before you turn and walk out on me… if this is the last kiss, if this is the last touch, if this is the last time I can ever be holding you… if this is the last embrace – I can never forget your face… I’ll get used to it, I’ll get through this somehow, some way... I won’t stand in your way, I won’t even begin to say that you never looked better never looked so good to me… though I asked this before I won’t ever ask anything more… just close your eyes and please do this for me… if this is the last kiss, if this is the last touch…

Notes:

The Last Kiss – sung by David Cassidy