Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Justin threw his pencil hard on the pillow as he sat cross legged in his bed with his math books. It was just too hard for him. The teacher didn’t have time to go things through slower and Daphne wasn’t any help even though she tried. His mother wasn’t either.

 

He rubbed his eyes and stared at the page. All nine problems were still unsolved. He grabbed his cell phone and pressed one and call.

 

“Hello blondie,” Daphne sounded happy.

 

“I wanna get shit faced,” Justin grunted.

 

“I don’t know. Mom and dad want to have a movie night. I kinda promised them I would stay in tonight,” Daphne said.

 

“Great, well call me or whatever if you wanna be my friend in the future,” Justin said angrily.

 

“Justin, wait. What is going on?” Daphne sounded worried.

 

“I can’t do it. I won’t ever pass math again,” Justin explained. “And now I wanna get drunk and just forget that math exists,” he said.

 

“How would you get anything to drink? You’re sixteen, Justin,” Daphne asked.

 

Justin thought about it for a while. “Doesn’t Tom have a party tonight? You know Tom Rivers,” he asked.

 

“I guess, but we don’t know the guy,” Justin heard Daphne say.

 

“I don’t care, we can crash it. People do it all the time,” Justin insisted. He heard Daphne take a deep breath.

 

“Let me ask my mom,” she said giving up.

 

Justin listened to the muffled sounds as Daphne talked with her mom. It sounded like Mrs. Chanders wasn’t too happy about the idea and Daphne had to persistently beg her to let her go. Justin was satisfied when Daphne finally spoke to him again with positive news.

 

Justin was standing outside of Tom Rivers’ house exactly an hour later. Daphne was standing next to him. “Come on, let’s go in,” Justin took Daphne’s hand and pulling him through the open front door. He was lucky that he recognized only three people on his way to the booze and those people never talked to him so they would probably be safe.

 

Justin took a red cup, filled it with cheap beer and took a gulp. Daphne looked at him but filled another cup and took a sip from it. It didn’t take more than a few minutes and Justin was filling his cup again.

 

“Fucking asshole,” Justin muttered as he had drank half of the cup.

 

“What?” Daphne asked puzzled.

 

“Nothing. Just thinking out loud,” Justin shook his head and looked around for something stronger to drink.

 

“Justin, would you stop for a moment?” Daphne asked and followed him when Justin started walking. He grabbed the bottle from a first person he saw. He did not care what it was and poured himself almost a full cup and gave the bottle back.

 

“What are you doing Justin?” Daphne exclaimed worried about her friend. She grabbed the bottle too and noticed that it was Jim Beam. “Justin, you are not drinking that,” she tried to take the cup away from him making Justin spill a little.

 

“Oh yes I am and I’m introducing myself to the fun free time activity called drinking my problems away,” he drank a mouthful. “And you’re not gonna stop me,” another mouthful.

 

“Justin, one fucking school subject can’t get you like this!” Daphne almost whined.

 

“Well, I’m a failure in everything. Not drawing though. That I can do. Picasso better be worried once I get my business running,” Justin lifted his cup and drank from it again.

 

“I’m going to call Dean if you don’t stop right now,” Daphne yelled at her friend. He was acting way out of control.

 

“Are you going to tell on me? I thought you didn’t do that. I mean you couldn’t even bother telling me that it was Brian fucking Kinney you made me kiss!” Justin said sarcastically.

 

“Justin…” Daphne tried but Justin wasn’t finished.

 

“You know what. I blame you. You are the reason he kissed me in the first place. I bet if that didn’t happen he would never gone after me,” the blond drank again.

 

“Justin,” Daphne moaned desperately.

 

“And now I can’t even pass the fucking math test I have to take two weeks from now!” Justin laughed sarcastically and drank the rest of the cup.

 

“You should really pace yourself. You are going to kill yourself,” Daphne snagged the empty cup from Justin’s hand. “It is not my fault you two aren’t speaking,” she exclaimed.

 

“Well, whose fault is it?” Justin said angrily looking around for the guy from who he had took the Jim Beam.

 

“It is not anyone’s fault and you can’t do this to me either,” Daphne turned Justin’s head towards herself. “You’ve had plenty of changes to go talk to him and make up. Next time you should actually take it,” she said.

 

“And let him grope me, kiss me and take advantage of me whenever he likes?” Justin asked. “I don’t think so,” he shook his head.

 

“We were drunk, Justin!”

 

“Yeah, well one of Brian’s hobbies is drinking. He’s practiced being drunk a lot and should be able to have some restraint when he first gets to be in the same bed with me whether or not he’s wasted,” Justin snapped at her.

 

“I’m taking you home. We are not staying here any longer,” she took hold of Justin’s arm and started pulling him toward the front door. “And all he did was a few hickeys. It’s not like he took your virginity for Christ sake,” she yelled over her shoulder.

 

They found their way out of the house and Justin managed to take five steps before he bend over the pelargoniums and emptied his stomach.

 

“I told you,” Daphne yelled.

 

“Good for you,” Justin grunted and wiped his mouth on his sleeve because there wasn’t anything else he could wipe his mouth on.

 

Daphne let out a lot of bad words as she told Justin to follow her. She refused to touch his hands after the pelargonium incident. Daphne drove them back at her house and made a bed for Justin on her floor.

 

“You get some sleep,” Daphne pointed at the bed and Justin nicely fell into it and fell asleep fifteen minutes later.

 

It took Daphne longer than fifteen minutes to fall asleep because she was thinking what Brian Kinney had managed to do to her best friend.  

 

*

 

Justin waited until Daphne woke up before going back home. He looked at her under his brows and apologized for yesterday and promised to make it up to her. In exchange Daphne smiled and promised to try to help him again with math.

 

When Justin got back home he immediately noticed that Brian was sitting in the living room with Dean and playing something on his PlayStation. He glared at the back of the head and walked to the stairs.

 

“Justin?” Jennifer called her from the kitchen and walked to him.

 

Justin winced but turned around to face his mother.

 

“Where have you been?” she looked at her son who was looking tired and also smelled bad.

 

“I told you, I went to see Daphne,” he answered.

 

“Yeah and the looks of it you didn’t exactly watch movies like you promised,” Jennifer said sternly.

 

“Whatever,” the blond muttered. “Can I just go take a shower now?” he asked annoyed.

 

“Not until you tell me what happened,” Jennifer demanded.

 

“Nothing interesting,” Justin turned around and ran the stairs up. He went to the bathroom and locked the door behind him before taking his dirty clothes off and stepping into the shower.

 

He let the water hit his face for a few seconds before tilting his head back to take a breath. The water felt hot against his skin but Justin liked it like that. He washed his hair before turning the water off and drying himself up. After that he wrapped his towel around his waist and stepped in front of the mirror. He could see the dark areas under his eyes. Justin took his gray toothbrush and started to brush his teeth. The blond didn’t watch himself from the mirror. He didn’t want to see the tired and pathetic reflection.

 

He wiped his mouth after brushing his teeth and stepped out of the bathroom turning the lights off. Justin heard voices from his right and saw Dean go into his room with Brian on his heels. They’re eyes connected for a second but the blond turned away and crossed the hall to his own room.

 

Justin took a clean white t-shirt and grey sweatpants pulling them on. Then he crawled in the middle of his bed, dropped the math books he had left there yesterday on the floor and fell asleep.

 

*

 

“What are we doing here?” Justin asked.

 

“We’re here to at least try to hit bunch of bowling bins with a big heavy ball,” Daphne smiled. “Now put on your shoes,” she pushed the colorful shoes against the blond’s chest. She sat down and changed her shoes.

 

Justin gave her a little smile and sat down next to her.

 

“The loser has to buy the winner an ice cream, by the way,” Daphne smiled at her friend.

 

“Deal,” Justin agreed and tied his shoelaces.

 

Justin went first knocking over eight of the ten bins. He was happy of the outcome since Daphne got only four.

 

“It’s the beginning. Just wait until I warm up and you’re going down,” Daphne pointed Justin with her finger.

 

“I don’t think so,” Justin shook his head and got up. He managed to knock over the two remaining bins. “Try to even hit the bins next time,” Justin stuck his tongue out and returned to his seat. A moment later Justin gave Daphne a sour face as Daphne managed to knock over all the remaining bins.

 

“I think you should get us fries as I bowl a strike,” Justin got up.

 

“Okay, but remember to get some evidence that you actually did it and not that girl over there,” Daphne pointed at the about twenty-year-old blond fifteen feet away.

 

“Fuck you,” Justin chuckled a little as he took his ball. Justin managed to only knock over two bins and cursed as Daphne made her way back.

 

“I had no idea that the definition of a strike had been changed into two bins,” Daphne tried looking puzzled.

 

“Just eat your fries,” Justin slumped down on the bench.

 

“Gladly,” Daphne took one pushing it into her mouth and went to roll the ball.

 

In the end Justin didn’t even want to know the result because he knew Daphne had won fair and square. She giggled as she said that Justin owned him an ice cream. Justin had gone to the store and come out with a cherry popsicle.

 

“You know I hate popsicles!” Daphne whined.

 

“You didn’t say what you wanted so I took the liberty to choose for you,” the blond grinned and watched Daphne lick the red ice.

 

“You suck so bad,” Daphne sighed as they started walking the street down.

 

“But you love me anyway,” Justin grinned.

 

“Yeah I do,” Daphne admitted and wrapped her right arm around Justin’s left arm.

 

“You wanna grab some takeout?” Daphne asked. “I’m kinda hungry.”

 

“Sure. The Liberty Diner isn’t that far from here. You wanna go there?” Justin asked looking at her.

 

“Yeah, sounds good,” Daphne nodded.

 

They ended up taking the pink plate special to go and ate in the park.

 

“You have to promise me something,” Justin said as he pushed the empty food containers into trashcan.

 

“What now?” Daphne asked.

 

“You have to promise me you’ll always be my best friend. I always have the best time with you,” Justin smiled and wiped his hands on his pants.

 

“That goes without saying,” Daphne said with a duh voice.

 

“Good,” Justin smiled to her.

 

*

 

Justin gave small pushes to the ground to make the swing he was sitting on move back and forth a little.

 

“It’s not the end of the world Justin,” Daphne said sitting on a swing next to Justin.

 

Justin just grunted.

 

“I mean they let you do the math test again. I’ll help you study and you’re going to pass it,” Daphne sighed.

 

“No I won’t,” Justin said kicking a stone on the ground.

 

Daphne leaned on the chain holding on to it. “You could just call him you know,” she whispered.

 

“Fuck off,” Justin got up from his swing.

 

“You do realize you’ve been cranky since your fight,” Daphne pointed out.

 

“I said fuck off, Daphne!” Justin yelled.

 

“Fine, do what you will. I’m going,” Daphne got up and walked away.

 

Justin kicked the ground angrily. Everything had just gone wrong lately. Brian and he didn’t speak. Not since the game night at Daphne’s three weeks ago. He failed math test. He had gotten kicked out of a class two days ago because he refused to do his homework. And now Daphne was mad at him too.

 

Justin took off too and walked home. It took him half an hour to reach his destination since Daphne didn’t give him a ride back home. But when he reached home he realized he should have just stayed away. Jennifer was sitting at the kitchen table holding up what suspiciously looked like his math test.

 

“Hold it young man,” Jennifer said sternly as Justin tried to go upstairs to his room.

 

Justin changed his direction and walked to his mother. “What?”

 

“I found this from your room. So now you’re failing math?” she asked.

 

“It’s not a big deal,” Justin said exasperated.

 

“Do you realize that there’s a chance that you won’t graduate if you don’t pass math?” Jennifer asked.

 

Justin stayed quiet staring at the floor.

 

“What happened to Brian? I thought he was really helping,” Jennifer asked.

 

“Well have you thought about the fact that maybe he has a life. That he can’t always be there helping me,” Justin said and stormed off up the stairs.

 

Two hours later his mother called him down. He didn’t really want to go, but he had learned that his mother would just come up if he didn’t go. Justin pushed his sketchbook away and stomped down the stairs. He turned towards the kitchen and stopped. Brian was there sitting at the kitchen table with his math books.

 

“There you are. I called Brian. He agreed to help you,” Jennifer smiled. “So come on, sit down,” she pointed at the table.

 

Justin stared at his mother and then at Brian. He wasn’t sure what to do. He wasn’t sure that Brian even wanted him to sit at the same table with him. But the older boy pulled out the chair next to him and that was Justin’s mark that he could sit down.

 

Justin rounded the table and sat down next to Brian. The brunet went straight to business and started where they had left off the last time he had been helping Justin.

 

Justin tried to concentrate on what Brian was saying and not at the awkward situation they were in. It was weird sitting there without Brian coming on to him in one way or another. This was actually the first time Brian didn’t try anything. Justin noticed that studying wasn’t so much fun without Brian being all playful.

 

Justin worked on his math so long his wrist was hurting from writing numbers. His mother wouldn’t let him get up until he could redo the test and pass it. Justin was starting to get annoyed because he was still struggling.

 

“I’m done,” Justin said getting up. “My brain can’t take this anymore. It hurts to think,” he said going to the stairs and walking them up.

 

Jennifer looked surprised and was already getting up when Brian told her to sit down. Brian went to the stairs when Dean interrupted him. Brian however told him to back off. He went to Justin’s bedroom without knocking.

 

“I need a break,” Justin sat on his bed leaning against the wall.

 

“I think we’re done for tonight,” Brian said leaning back against the door.

 

Justin fiddled with a hole in his pants on the side of his knee. He didn’t dare to look up at Brian so Brian came to him. He sat on the edge of the bed. “Did you know that Daphne paid me a little visit,” Brian started.

 

“Sounds like her,” Justin said pushing his finger through the hole.

 

“You can probably guess what she had to say,” Brian smiled.

 

Justin nodded pulling his knees towards his chest. The older boy moved and sat next to Justin.

 

“I’ve missed you,” Brian whispered.

 

The floor boards squeaked outside Justin door making both of the boys look at the door.

 

“Fuck off, Dean!” Brian yelled and they could hear footsteps receding.

 

“He can be a big dickhead sometimes,” Justin muttered pulling on the hole.

 

“I know,” Brian smiled before becoming more serious. “So do you absolutely hate me?”

 

Justin fiddled with the hole before shaking his head.

 

“Okay, that’s good,” Brian nodded.

 

Justin slowly let go of the hole in his pants and moved his hand on Brian’s thigh. Brian looked at Justin for a second before moving his own hand over Justin’s. “I promise to leave you alone from now on,” Brian whispered.

 

Justin shook his head. “I don’t want you to leave me alone,” he said.

 

Brian pulled his lips in his mouth. “You don’t?”

 

Justin shook his head. “Besides, studying without you trying to cop a feel is kinda boring,” he smiled a little.

 

“It is, isn’t it?” Brian smiled rubbing Justin’s hand. “So… You want me to try and cop a feel right now?”

 

Justin looked up at Brian. “Maybe you should.”

 

Brian pulled the blond closer by his neck and kissed him on the lips. Justin leaned towards Brian answering the kiss the best he could. Brian moved his hand to touch Justin’s side and pull him closer.

 

“I think it would probably be best if I went downstairs. Dean will probably come back soon,” Brian mumbled against Justin’s lips.

 

Justin pulled away and got up. He walked to the door and turned a key in his door. Brian hadn’t noticed that before. Then Justin came back and sat on the bed. “You’re not going to go anywhere,” Justin smiled. “I’m ordering you to stay right there. Dean can go to hell.”

 

Brian laughed and pulled Justin between his legs falling back on the bed with Justin ending up on his chest.

 

“And no more hickeys,” Justin laughed.

 

“I can agree to that if we’re talking about visible places,” Brian nodded.

 

“I still have to take showers at school after gym,” Justin lifted his brows and looked at Brian.

 

“Only during Wednesdays,” Brian pulled a pillow under his head. “I can do all sorts of hickeys on Thursdays,” he grinned.

 

“You are so evil,” Justin smiled and settled better on Brian’s chest.

 

Brian pulled the boy tighter against himself. Justin moved his head so he could see Brian’s face. He stared at Brian for a while before lifting his hand and touching Brian’s lips with the tip of his forefinger. He gently and slowly moved his finger against Brian’s lips.

 

“This is nice. We should do this more often,” Brian said. Justin pulled his finger away.

 

“What?” Justin asked pulling his hand away.

 

“This. Lay here together,” Brian answered.

 

“Mm,” Justin hummed.

 

The door handle moved making a sound as someone tried to push it open. “Justin?” came Dean’s voice from the hall. “Why is the door locked?” he asked.

 

“So you can’t barge in like you just tried,” Justin answered him.

 

“Brian you wanna come play with your PlayStation?” Dean asked clearly trying to get Brian out of the room.

 

“No thanks,” Brian said.

 

“But you can’t stay there all day,” Dean slammed his hand on the door.

 

“His my friend too, so fuck off,” Justin yelled.

 

“Come on Dean, let them be alone,” they heard Jennifer say.

 

“I don’t think it’s a good idea to be there all locked up,” they heard Dean whine.

 

“Leave them be. Come on downstairs,” Jennifer said.

 

Brian and Justin looked each other and smiled. Finally they caught a break.

 

*

 

“I’m going to go over Daphne’s,” Justin took his jacket and pulled it on.

 

“Hold on!” his mother yelled from the kitchen.

 

Justin walked towards her zipping up his jacket. “What?” he asked.

 

“Do you have some kind on plans with her?” Jennifer asked reading a grocery list in her hands.

 

“Well no, I just thought I’d drop by,” Justin answered.

 

“Well, you’re not going,” Jennifer said simply and added sugar on the list. “You’re coming to the store with me,” she said.

 

“What? Mom, no!” Justin whined.

 

“Yes and you’re already ready, good,” she smiled.

 

Justin groaned as he followed Jennifer to the car. Justin was not really fond of traveling with his mom because she liked to sing along to the good songs playing on the radio.

 

“Oh this is a good one,” Jennifer turned the volume up when the first notes came. Justin remembered hearing the song before but did not know the name. He looked as his mother shook her head slightly to the music and hummed along.

 

“Why do you have to do that?” Justin asked embarrassed.

 

“Why not, don’t you like your mother’s singing voice,” Jennifer smiled and continued humming.

 

“There is some room for improvement,” the blond muttered and watched out of the window.

 

Jennifer laughed and started to sing along the chorus. She turned to the parking lot of the store and parked near the entrance. Justin got out walking inside with Jennifer.

 

“Would you get some bananas?” Jennifer asked as she started to select the best looking salad.

 

Justin went to get bananas and grabbed some grapes along the way.

 

“When are you taking your math test again?” Jennifer asked placing tomatoes into the cart.

 

“The day after tomorrow,” Justin pushed the cart forward and stopped so Jennifer could place potatoes into it.

 

“Do you think you’re going to pass?” she turned to look at Justin as she took a cucumber into her hand.

 

“Yeah, I think so,” Justin leaned on the cart. “Brian’s a really good tutor.”

 

“I’ve noticed,” Jennifer smiled. “Speaking of Brian,” she started.

 

Justin’s eyes got big. His heart started to beat fast and strong. He held his breath. Fuck she’s noticed.

 

“I’m getting the feeling that Dean doesn’t want Brian to be your friend,” she said. “Have you noticed?”

 

Justin bit his lower lip.

 

Jennifer looked at her son. “I have a feeling my observations are right.”

 

The blond didn’t know what to say so he just shrugged and pushed the cart after his mother.

 

“Why is that? You guys have been friends since kids,” Jennifer wondered out loud.

 

“Maybe he’s jealous that I’ve been spending so much time with Brian. You know with the tutoring and all,” Justin suggested.

 

“You think so?” Jennifer turned towards Justin who shrugged again. “Besides why did Brian stop tutoring you? I thought you were getting somewhere.”

 

“Mom,” Justin whined dropping his head.

 

“That’s what I thought,” she took some bread and placed it in the cart. “So what did you fight about?”

 

“Mom,” Justin scolded her. “That’s none of your business.”

 

“Well whatever it was, make sure it doesn’t happen again. You can’t fail math in the future either,” Jennifer went to get chicken.

 

Justin sighed in relief and followed her. He decided to keep his mouth shut from now on so he wouldn’t accidentally blurt something. He followed his mother around the store helping to get all the groceries from Jennifer’s list.

 

Later Justin helped carrying the groceries inside their home and unpacked the bags before taking off to Daphne.

 

“So my mom noticed that Dean doesn’t want Brian to be alone with me,” Justin kicked his shoes off.

 

“Okay. Does she know the reason why?” Daphne asked pushing her homework aside.

 

“No. Thank god,” Justin shook his head. “I told her that maybe he’s jealous that Brian is spending more time with me now that he’s tutoring me,” Justin slumped down on the couch in Daphne’s living room.

 

“So I guess you made up with him?” Daphne asked.

 

“Yeah, I did,” Justin smiled.

 

“Look at that smile,” Daphne giggled and poked him at the cheek. “I don’t think you can deny that you don’t like him anymore.”

 

“Shut up. I do not like him like that,” Justin kicked her.

 

“Yeah you do,” Daphne giggled. “No one smiles like that if they don’t have a crush. Trust me. We girls know these things,” she pulled out her phone from her pocket.

 

“What are you doing?” Justin looked at Daphne ready to snap the phone out of her hand.

 

“Relax, I’m just calling my dad to check out when he’s coming home,” Daphne rolled her eyes tapping the phone.

 

Justin looked at her panicking. He did not believe Daphne. She held her phone against her ear waiting for the person on the other end to answer.

 

“Apparently your da…”

 

“Justin likes you! He has a big big crush on you!” Daphne cut Justin off and yelled to the phone.

 

“You fucking…!” Justin jumped on Daphne yanking the phone.

 

“I do not like you!” Justin yelled at the phone without even pressing it against his ear. Then he ended the call. “Don’t do that! I hate you!” he yelled at the girl.

 

The phone started ringing in his hand.

 

“Stop calling here!” Justin answered it and immediately ended the call again throwing the phone at Daphne but made sure it wouldn’t bounce on the floor and break.

 

Soon the phone started ringing again. Daphne took the phone and ran to the bathroom Justin right behind her. Daphne succeeded to close the door and lock it before Justin got to her. “Daphne on the phone,” she answered sickly sweet talking loud enough for the blond to hear on the other side of the door.

 

“Yes he really likes you. He admitted it,” Justin heard Daphne.

 

“Brian says he likes you too,” Daphne sing sang through the door.

 

“Stop it right now!” Justin yelled and hit the door. “And get the fuck out of there!”

 

“Okay, I’ll talk to you later,” Daphne laughed and got out of the bathroom. She smiled at her friend. “He deserves to know,” she said and grinned.

 

“No he doesn’t!” Justin stomped away like an angry girl.

 

Daphne just laughed and went after him.