Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

The family dinner doesn't go according to plan and Brian and Justin escape for a while to spend the night together. What else will change?

 

 

Justin

 

Several hours later, Justin was furious with Brian. The brunette was being a very attentive boyfriend- getting him food and drinks, joining in conversations, making sure he was comfortable. Justin's family loved him. Sure, normally he wouldn’t find fault in that, but Brian was supposed to be paving the way to their breakup. And after Brian’s behavior over the last couple of hours, the only person at the family dinner expecting that outcome was Justin. Brian was having a conversation with his Uncle Jeff about the weather when Justin wrapped his hand around the other man’s lower forearm.

“Can I talk to you?” Justin tried to keep his tone sweet, but Brian heard the annoyed hitch in the blonde's voice.

“Your uncle was just telling me a great story,” Brian said with a smile, ignoring Justin’s grip.

“Yeah, I heard, but I need help with the...thing.”

“What thing?” his uncle asked.

Justin's eyes widened, obviously he hadn’t expected his ploy to be questioned.

A slow smile spread across Brian’s face. “I’ve been summoned.” He gave Justin's uncle a wink. “Shouldn’t let him wait.”

Uncle Jeremy chuckled and patted Justin's shoulder. “I like your Brian, young man.”

Justin grumbled as Brian stood. Brian took his hand and whispered loud enough for Justin's uncle to hear, “Just where did you have in mind?”

Justin jerked on his hand and actually blushed. Brian stumbled slightly but contained his amusement. God, was Justin cute when he was pissed. But Brian kept his thoughts to himself and followed the blonde through the kitchen and down the stairs to the basement.

Why hadn’t he thought to check the basement rather than his botched attempt to find Craig’s home office? After all, what better place to stow things best left forgotten?

But he didn’t have time to look around once they reached the bottom of the stairs. “Your bedroom probably has a better atmosphere than your parent’s musty basement”

“I did not bring you down here to make out!”

“From the look on your face, you brought me down here to murder me. But I caution you to think it through. It would be difficult to hide my body.”

Justin took a deep breath and closed his eyes. “What are you doing, Brian?”

“I’m standing in your basement, waiting to see if you’re going to murder me or not.”

“Cut it out! Why aren’t you trying to break up with me like we discussed?”

“You haven’t given me the opportunity.”

“We’ve been out there for two god damn hours!”

“Really?” Brian raised an eyebrow. “Seems like I was too busy having a good time.”

Justin shook his head, as though trying to clear his confusion. “You have to stick to the plan.”

“So what do you want me to do?” Brian asked, spreading his hands.

“I’m...I’m not sure...” Justin scowled. “But we have to do something, Brian! We have to end this tonight. This is getting bad.”

“I know...How about I start drinking a lot and then I can act like a sloppy drunk, giving you a good reason to break up with me.”

Justin pursed his lips, deep in thought, before nodding and looking up at Brian. “Yeah. That’s good. If you just start acting like a jerk now, my family will wonder what’s gotten into you all of a sudden.”

“Alright, so I’ll start getting drunk. Let’s get to it.” Brian took Justin's hand, just to see what the blonde's reaction would be. To his surprise, he didn’t protest. When they were in the kitchen, Brian stopped and dropped his hold on Justin. “First I need to visit the restroom before I go back outside.”

The look Justin gave him said he didn’t quite trust him, but the request was too reasonable for him to deny. He nodded. “I will wait outside.”

 

 

Brian

 

When Justin was gone, Brian headed for the stairs. He needed to talk to Ted. And maybe he could find Craig’s home office when he was upstairs.

He opened the first room on the right, finding what appeared to be Molly’s room. Eliminating Justin's and his grandmother’s rooms, that left only one possibility. Brian pushed open the door, relieved to find a desk with a desktop computer and a credenza and printer. Pulling out his phone, he texted Ted. I found Taylor’s home office. Seconds later, Ted responded. Looks like I found it first. They offered it to me as a bedroom. Sure enough, there was a bag on the loveseat on the wall opposite the desk. Have you checked it yet?

Not thoroughly, but I have all night. As long as they don’t kick you out in the next few hours.

Brian released a heavy breath. Justin wants me to break up with him tonight. I couldn’t convince him to postpone it.

You have to figure something out, Brian.

Brian gritted his teeth. “Figure something out, sure, no problem, Theodore,” he grumbled.

Brian went back downstairs and grabbed a bottle of Beam from the cooler by the back door, taking a long drag from it before he searched for Justin. The blonde was standing with a group of his cousins. He looked nervous, and Brian hated the knowledge that he was to blame, but he couldn’t give Justin what he wanted. Not yet. Now that Ted was here, they could get what they needed to save the business and he’d break up with Justin tomorrow night at the rehearsal dinner. Brian could pretend to get drunk tomorrow night, then put the moves on some hot guy maybe. But he couldn’t tell Justin his new plan. He’d drink a lot tonight to pave the way to the big finale tomorrow and figure out a way to appease the blonde in the meantime.

The other problem- how to appease his own hurting heart once Justin found out what he was about- was entirely Brian’s own cross to bear.

The brunette took another draw off the bottle, trying to chase the feeling away. How could he already be so attached to Justin? He hardly knew him. Brian finished off his drink and grabbed another. Fuel for performance. Justin turned and saw him, his face momentarily lighting up...then fading. Brian walked toward him and a black cat shot out from a bush, darting across his path. He stumbled to keep from tripping on it and he was sure it made him look drunk. He couldn’t face Justin at the moment, so he made his way over to Ted, who was sitting at a small table with Daphne. Ted looked up. “Hey, Bri! Have you thought of a way to keep from breaking up with him?,” he asked. Lowering the bottle, Brian cast a glance toward Daphne.

She gave him a sympathetic smile. “Ted knows I’m helping you.”

Brian couldn't contain his look of surprise. What had Ted confessed to?

Ted gave him a grin. “I’m all in, Bri. I’ll get you to the altar.”

What?” Brian asked.

Ted shrugged. “What can I say? I’m a sucker for true love.”

Brian just glared at him. He finished off his drink and set the bottle on the table. “I need another.”

He started to get up. Ted pushed him back down.” I’ll get you one.” He stood and the barking dogs against the fence amped up their racket. The black cat Brian had seen earlier was now calmly stalking across the top of the fence.

Jennifer looked furious. “That’s unbelievable!” she yelled.

“Justin has insisted break up with him tonight,” Brian said.

Daphne swung her gaze to him, her eyebrows arched. “You’re not considering it, are you?”

He sighed. Suddenly he felt very depressed and tired. “I don’t know, maybe.”

She leaned toward him, desperation in her eyes. “Brian, you can’t!”

“He’s right, Daphne. I’m putting him in an awkward situation. The longer I wait to do this, the harder it will be to cancel everything.”

Daphne leaned in closer, her face inches from his. “The money’s gone, whether there’s a wedding or not. Don’t let that stop you from going after Justin.”

“But it’s all just a farce!”

Her jaw set and determination filled her eyes. “Do you like him?”

“What?”

“It’s a simple question. Do you like him?”

“You know I do.”

“Then whatever you do, wait.”

“How long do I wait? Until we’re at the goddamn altar and the minister says, Do you, Ethan- what’s the fucker’s last name again?”

“Gold.”

“Ethan Gold.” The name rolled off Brian’s tongue with a sneer. “So, the minister says, Do you, Ethan Gold, take Justin Taylor to be your husband? And I say...Well, about that, did I mention that I’m just his substitute fiancé?

Daphne sat back, glancing over at her friend. “It doesn’t have to go that far. Just make him realize how much he likes you.”

“I know he likes me, but what if I can’t get him to admit that he does?” He took a deep breath and blew it out. “He’s just in this situation because he doesn’t want to disappoint his mother, right? Well, Jennifer seems very nice and she loves him. Maybe I should just tell her the truth.”

Daphne's eyes widened. “Brian, you can’t do that!”

Brian didn’t respond.

Sure, his original goal was honorable -saving his business- but it wasn’t worth toying with Justin’s life. Brian wanted one last day with Justin- he had to know if the blonde was worth ruining Brian’s whole future. If he proofed to be, Brian would tell him the truth. Everything.

Ted returned and set a bottle of beer in front of him.

“So, you’re not breaking up with him, right?”, he asked.

“No, only tomorrow.”

Ted looked slightly panicked. “Whoa, wait, what if we haven’t accomplished our mission?”

Daphne turned a skeptical eye on him. “What mission?”

Brian groaned. He should have known Ted would screw it up, like always.

He rolled his eyes. “Making Justin fall in love with me. What the hell else would he be talking about?”

But the seeds of doubt had been planted in Daphne's head. She turned her head to Ted and opened her mouth, when Jennifer, who was now standing by the edge of the deck, began screaming. “What have you done?”

Three big dogs burst through the back gate, racing for the food table. Everyone started shouting as the dogs jumped onto the deck, snarling over the pans of pork, brisket, baked beans, and coleslaw.

Everyone either ran screaming or watched in silent horror as the dogs knocked over the table. The pans of food fell to the concrete, and the two candles rolled off, one of them setting the tablecloth on fire. The black cat ran past the spilled food and burning tablecloth, hissing and screeching. One of the dogs looked up, a string of brisket hanging from its mouth, and took off running after the scared cat. The two other dogs followed.

“Craig!” Jennifer shouted. “Do something!”

Craig ran toward the fire, grabbed a plastic cup off the table, then knelt by the pool and started scooping up some water and tossing it toward the fire.

The cat continued its race around the pool with the dog closing the distance. The fifty-pound lab crashed into one of Justin's younger cousins, a girl who looked like she was around six years old. The girl fell sideways into the pool, creating a huge splash that drenched the people nearby.

Justin- who was with them- watched the melee in horror.

The little girl surfaced but began flailing in the deep end of the pool.

“I don’t think that little girl can swim!” Ted screamed.

“Oh my God!” Daphne shouted.

“Fuck. I think you’re right!” Brian said.

The fire from the tablecloth spread to the nearby table.

The back door flung open and Gram stood in the doorway, her feet spread apart, holding a fire extinguisher- she was naked.

“Did someone say fire?”

The girl was still in the pool, but now she was underwater.

Without thinking about it, Brian kicked off his shoes and dove in, finding the girl close to the bottom of the ten-foot-deep pool. He grabbed her waist with one arm and swam for the top. Then they broke through the surface, the girl gasped for air and started crying. She flailed and kicked as Brian swam to the edge of the pool, dragging her with him.

Ted was kneeling at the edge, reaching toward them. “I’ll take her."

Brian swam over to him and Ted grabbed her arms, lifting her out. As he set her on her feet, the little girl leaned over Ted’s arm. Crying out in surprise, he dropped his hold on her. “She bit me!”

Brian clung to the side of the pool, heart racing.

Gram still fumbled with the fire extinguisher. One of Craig’s brothers moved toward her, trying to keep his gaze averted as he blindly reached for the extinguisher- what accidentally led to him grabbing something different than the fire extinguisher. A wide smile spread across Gram’s face. “I think I just got goosed.” She pulled a pin and tossed it on the ground, then shot foam onto the fire. Once the fire was out, she kept spraying, covering two of the dogs running past.

“Brian.” Justin knelt next to him. “Are you okay?”

The brunette looked up at him. “Yeah...I think so.”

Justin tenderly touched Brian’s cheek. “Thank you...for saving her. I really wanted to get her, but I just couldn't move...I...”

Brian smiled. “Justin. It’s okay.”

Justin nodded. He grabbed Brian’s hand, his fingers curling around the other man’s. “Let’s go upstairs and get you changed first.”

“Where’s Ted?” Brian asked, looking for the dark-haired man.

“I think he’s with Daphne.”

A man in a khaki uniform stood in the open gate, his mouth hanging open as he took in the destruction of the back yard. “Did someone call animal control?”

They snuck in the back door and headed for the stairs, leaving a trail of water from Brian’s dripping clothes.

Justin pushed Brian into the room and shut the door. Brian rummaged in his bag and pulled out a clean pair of jeans and a T-shirt.

“Let’s get out of here. Let’s go find a quiet place,” Justin said. “Come downstairs to meet me when you’re done.”

“Okay.” Brian’s cell phone was in his pocket and he tried to turn it on, not surprised to find it dead. He considered leaving his soaking-wet wallet, but worried someone would find it and discover his real identity. He kept it in his hand as he went down the stairs. Jennifer was still talking to the animal control officer.

Justin stood in the open doorway to the garage, motioning Brian to follow him. A black Ford Explorer was parked on the gravel next to the house. “This was your car?”

“It was a hand-down from my dad. When you’re sixteen you’ll take whatever you can get.” The blonde opened the driver’s door. “Get in.”

Brian climbed into the passenger seat, setting his damp wallet on the console. “How are you going to get out? There are cars parked in the driveway.”

Justin’s grin told him he was up to no good. “Desperate times, Brian. Desperate times.” Shoving the car into reverse, he put his hand on the back of Brian’s seat and looked over his shoulder. “Mom is going to have a fit over her lawn.” He backed up, driving through the grass, then angling the Explorer over the bottom half of the driveway and into the street.

Brian shook his head. “Great job.” He laughed as he looked back at the yard. “You’re right, your mother is going to have a fit over those tire ruts as soon as she finishes having a fit about the backyard.”

“All the more reason to leave.” Justin rolled his window down and turned up the radio.

“Do you have a destination in mind?”

Justin leaned his head toward Brian, grinning. “Yes, and you’ll love it.”

Brian leaned back in his seat, watching the blonde. “Well, I trust you.” And he knew it was the truth.

Justin made several turns and then he was on a back road, driving by a small lake. He drove for several more minutes, then turned down a gravel road and parked. “This is it.”

Brian opened the door and realized they were at an empty campsite.

Justin got out and went to the back of the car. “My dad used to take Molly and me camping here when we were kids.”

“Are we camping?” Brian raised an eyebrow.

Justin grabbed a stack of blankets. “Let’s decide that as we go.”

For once, Brian was happy to not have a plan.

 

Justin

 

Justin had driven here out of instinct. While he hadn’t been here in years, it still felt familiar and safe. If felt even more right that Brian was here with him, which was surprising. He’d never taken anyone to his special spot before, not even Daphne.

He followed the path, turning left onto another less used path, which ended in a small clearing. “This is it.”

Brian gasped from behind him. “This is amazing.”

“Thanks.” Justin beamed with pride. They stood on top of a small bluff, overlooking the lake. But the real showstopper was the view of the sky. With few lights around the lake, the stars shone brighter than Justin usually saw them.

He handed Brian a blanket and two pillows. “Hold this for a minute,” he said as he spread out a sleeping bag and then a sheet.

“You came prepared,” Brian muttered, his husky voice sending a shiver down the blonde's spine.

“I used to like to lie here and look at the stars.” Justin grabbed the pillows from Brian and tossed them onto the makeshift bed.

He knew that it looked like he had purposely brought Brian out here to seduce him. Maybe that was partially true. He didn’t care at the moment.

Justin sat in the middle of the bedding, and patted the spot next to him. “Come here.” Brian hesitated for a moment, and Justin closed his eyes. “It’s okay, I...I trust you.”

“How do you know I’m worthy of your trust?” Brian sat down next to him.

Justin leaned toward him, his faces hovering inches from Brian’s. “Because I can see your heart, Brian Kinney. You wouldn’t intentionally hurt me.”

Brian shook his head, pain in his eyes, confirming Justin's suspicions. “How can you be so sure?”

Justin's fingertips rested on the brunette’s cheek as he searched Brian’s eyes.

“Will you intentionally hurt me?”

“Not if I can help it,” Brian whispered. He closed his eyes. “The last thing I want...is to hurt you.”

“I know.” Justin’s lips brushed his softly and Brian remained still, not even breathing.

“Justin,” he finally whispered.

The blonde leaned back and stared into Brian’s eyes. “For once I want to do what makes me happy.” Justin smiled at him. “I want you.”

Brian’s eyes clouded.

“Do you want me, Brian?”

“It’s not that easy.”

Justin laughed softly. “It’s a simple yes or no question.” His hand cupped Brian’s neck and his thumb brushed Brian’s cheek.

“Do you want me?”

Brian’s answer was to press his lips on Justin's and entwine one hand in his hair. They were a tangle of tongues and limbs as Brian pulled Justin onto his lap, the blonde's legs straddling his waist.

Justin clung to him as Brian took control, the hand around his back sliding down to cup his ass and press him against Brian. Heat engulfed their bodies and Justin groaned and gyrated against Brian, his hands sliding under the brunette’s shirt. His fingertips skimmed up Brian’s chest muscles.

Brian leaned back and pulled his shirt over his head, tossing it behind him. When he tried to kiss Justin again, the blonde placed his hands on Brian’s shoulders and pushed him back. “I want to look at you.”

Brian thought that Justin was even more perfect in the moonlight than he remembered him from the night before. Justin slid his hands down to Brian’s perfectly sculpted abdomen, dipping lower to the waistband of his jeans. Using the palm of his hand, the blonde rubbed the bulge through Brian’s jeans, feeling empowered when Brian squirmed.

Brian sat up and reached behind Justin’s back, his lips brushing the nape of the other man’s neck, his tongue dancing in tantalizing circles along the sensitive skin, sending waves of pleasure through Justin's body. Brian unzipped Justin's jeans, exposing his skin to the cooler night air. Justin shivered and Brian had to chuckle as his teeth lightly nipped along the blonde’s collarbone. Brian’s face lifted and he searched Justin's eyes as his hands slid slowly up his back, his thumbs sliding the fabric of Justin’s shirt down the smaller man’s arms.

Justin sat still as Brian pulled his arms free. Brian’s gaze lowered to Justin's body and the blonde had to swallow.

But Brian’s gaze lifted to his, and the lust Justin saw there displaced his concerns.

Brian’s mouth found his again, warm and desperate.

Justin's hands wound into Brian’s hair, holding him close.

Brian continued to kiss him, his tongue exploring his mouth as his other hand slipped behind Justin’s ass, rubbing against his opening.

Justin closed his eyes, his breath coming in rapid plants as Brian’s finger slipped inside him. He wanted more than the finger.

Brian wrapped an arm around Justin's back, pressing kisses to his abdomen, then lowered the blonde to his lap again. “Brian,” Justin said, hoping the sound of the other man’s name would convey to him everything he felt and needed. He needed him. Brian tugged his underwear off, then lowered Justin to straddle the blonde’s upper tights.

Brian’s hand cupped his cheek and he searched his face before kissing Justin again.

Not willing to wait any longer, Justin reached for him, wrapping his hand around the length of him and stroking. His sense of urgency increased as Brian pushed him backward, his head hitting the pillow as Brian moved between his legs, kneeling over him.

“Fuck.” Justin froze and squeezed his eyes shut with frustration. “I don’t have a condom.”

“I do.” Brian reached inside the pocket of his jeans and pulled out a foil square.

Justin snagged if from his hand and ripped it open faster than he would have thought possible, then rolled the condom over Brian’s erection.

Justin gazed up at him, reaching for him. Needing him now.

Brian lowered himself to one elbow and lifted Justin’s hip with his free hand, teasing the blonde with his hardness before finally entering him, filling him perfectly.

Crying out, Justin lifted his hips higher, helping Brian slide deeper. Brian’s mouth covered Justin's as their movements became more and more urgent. As their passion built, Brian’s mouth broke free, his breath hot on Justin’s neck as he held him tighter, thrusting deeper. Faster.

Justin pressed himself against Brian with every thrust, until he finally climaxed, crying out in a gasp as his orgasm washed over him.

Brian held him tighter and gave two final deep thrusts before coming. Justin grabbed Brian’s hips, holding him close for a moment. Brian gathered him in his arms, still inside the blonde.

Justin smiled and sighed in content as he slowly fell asleep. “Where have you been all my life, Brian?” he whispered.

Brian smiled and brushed some golden strands away from Justin’s forehead before placing a tender kiss on it. A strange, warm, burning feeling spread out in Brian’s whole chest. It was a feeling he’d never had before. And it scared the shit out of him.

 

Chapter End Notes:

This chapter will probably be the last one for a while, as I'm not sure when I will have the time to update again... how soon I update will also depend a bit on how much feedback I receive on the new chapter. I hope you enjoyed reading it!

What do you think, will Brian reveal the truth, is Ted going to find some information on the patent or will Justin discover the truth beforehand? Well, all I can say is that Ethan will still act a part in the whole wedding fiasco.

As always, please let me know your thoughts, theories, or even suggestions, they are highly appreciated! :)