Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

My first update on this story this year, and a very long one too. As Justin and Brian getting closer, there is some smut contained as well. I hope you still enjoy this story :)

 

 

Justin

 

Justin had been worried that they could never pull it off, but he and Brian sailed through the evening. Brian was very charismatic and Justin's parents' friends loved him. Justin had heard that the art to creating good conversation was to lavish attention on the other person, taking care not to talk too much about yourself. It turned out that Brian was a master at it, diverting almost all but the most mundane questions about himself. He showed particular interest in Justin's father's friends. After Brian and Justin had eaten some of the buffet, Daphne joined them at a bistro table. They had a very good time and laughed a lot. Brian had to admit that he really liked the lively girl. Eventually, Molly joined them and an awkward silence settled on the group; then Brian stood.

"I'll go make a call and leave you with some time to yourselves."

"Who are you going to call?" Molly demanded.

Brian pulled his phone out of his pocket and brought up the contact before he locked his eyes onto hers. "My friend Ted. I haven't talked to him since landing in Pittsburgh, so he must be worried."

Molly snatched his phone. "Let's see if you really know a Ted."

"Molly!" Justin shouted, reaching for it. "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

"Protecting you." Molly leaned out of his grasp as Brian stared at her disapprovingly.

"Molly!" Justin wrestled the phone from his sister and handed it to Brian. "God! I'm so sorry!"

Brian grimaced and lifted the phone to his ear. "Hello? Ted? Yeah."

He walked to the opposite side of the pool, moving toward the back of the yard, where there were fewer people.

"What the hell, Molly?" Justin demanded after Brian left.

Molly shrugged. "He didn't try to stop me once I had his phone."

"Yeah, because he was stymied by the fact that a 16-year old girl would actually try to steal his phone," Justin said annoyed.

To his credit, Molly looked a bit embarrassed. "Okay, maybe I was a little overzealous..."

"You think?" Justin asked.

"I think he's cute." Daphne kept her eyes on Brian, an appreciative gleam in her eyes. "He's got a nice ass."

"Funny," Justin deadpanned. "My gram said the same thing."

"I've always liked Gram," Daphne said.

Molly snorted and left the table.

Daphne waggled her eyebrows at Justin. "Besides, who knows what will happen tonight with Mr. Hot-and-Sexy-in-a-Pair-of-Jeans once he's out of them. "Maybe he'll be so good, you'll want to marry him."

To his horror, Justin blushed.

Daphne laughed. "Just kidding. I'm sure your mom gave him his own room anyway."

Justin's mouth twisted into a smirk. "Actually she told him that she knew we were doing things, so she put his bag in my room."

"Yes!" Daphne squealed, drawing the attention of the guests at a nearby table.

"Daph!" Justin hissed, his face getting hotter. "I can't."

"Why on earth not?"

"He's not sticking around."

"So? What's the problem? You like him. Admit it."

Justin squeezed his eyes shut. "Maybe."

"You'd be crazy if you didn't. He's nice. He's charming. And he's sexy as hell."

Justin cast his eyes down. When Daphne was right, she was right.

 

Brian

 

Brian walked away from Justin and his friend.

"I left this trip up to fate, and you'll never believe what has happened."

"You got laid."

"No, but I'm sure I can change that in the next few days. However, I sat next to Craig Taylor's son on the plane."

That got Ted's attention. "What? Did you know he'd be on that flight?"

"No. I didn't even know it was him until Craig Taylor shook my hand in the airport."

"Did he know who you were?"

"No...he mistook me for someone else."

"Who?"

Brian rehashed the story and Ted released a slow whistle.

"Are you sure you can pull it off?"

"I think I have so far. We've even made it halfway through the engagement party."

"An engagement party?" Ted cracked up. When it was silent again, Brian was sure that he had died laughing.

"Theodore?"

"I'm sorry, Bri," Ted said, still giggling. "It's just hilarious. Brian Kinney is attending an engagement party. Is the groom hot?"

Brian gritted his teeth. "Look, his mother spent enough money on this party to sustain a family of four for a year. God only knows what she's planned for the wedding." He shuddered. "Craig Taylor certainly has the motive. I think I'm on to something."

Ted seemed to consider the situation. "Well, your plan is pure genius. Keep going."

"You think so?"

"Absolutely. Is Justin Taylor a looker? Are you going to hook up with him while you're his fake fiancé?"

"What the hell, Theodore. No!"

"So he's pug-ugly?"

"No. He's very good-looking, but I can't fuck him. I have to break up with him as soon as I find some solid evidence."

"Well, how far are you going to take this, then?" Ted asked.

"I don't know yet. I hope to search their house tonight after everyone goes to bed, but I suspect any real evidence is at his business office."
"Doesn't his family think it's weird you don't have any family or friends there?"

"Justin said the idiot he was going to marry hardly had any friends, and neither his parents nor brother were planning on coming."

"Whatever. I think you're on to something, Bri. Fact is, if you're busy with your wedding plans, then you need help."

"What does that mean?"

"Maybe a good friend of yours will change his mind and show up tomorrow."

Brian frowned. "I don't think that's a good idea."
"It's perfect, Brian. I'll have more free time than you. Besides, I can't miss out on seeing you at your wedding day."

Brian paced, rubbing the back of his neck. "Yeah, just keep mocking me. But one day you will see what comes of it."

Ted fell silent immediately.

"The problem is, I can't think of a single reason to justify you showing up tomorrow. Justin wants to break up at the party tonight."

"You can't let him break up with you!"

"I know. And for the most part, I'm safe. I've told Justin we should break up tomorrow. He hasn't agreed, but one of his best friends likes me and is trying to get him to put it off. I think I can get him to hold off until at least tomorrow night." He paused. "Maybe I'll find what we need tomorrow."

"Not likely."

Brian sighed. "I don't even know what I'm looking for, Ted. How do I pin this on them?"
"See if you can get access to Craig's emails from around the time my bag was stolen. Try to find a copy of the plans with our name on it."

"You really think someone's going to keep a copy of an incriminating document?"

"Yes. I do."

"So where do I look?"

"The Taylor house is a good start. I doubt he'd want to keep the plans in the office. How would he explain it to his colleagues? But if his wife found it, no big deal...I bet none of his family would give it a second thought."

Brian had to admit that Ted was right. "So how I'm going to explain your sudden appearance?"

"You let me worry about all of that. You just act completely surprised to see me. Now what's the address?"

"I'll text it to you."

"See you tomorrow, Bri."

Brian hoped he wouldn't regret Ted's appearance. He rejoined Justin and Daphne. He noticed that Justin looked a bit embarrassed.

"I need to use the restroom," Brian said, needing to escape for a few minutes. Hopefully it would also give him the opportunity to do a quick search, as he'd planned.

"You can use the one on the first floor," Justin told him.

Feeling someone's gaze on him as he made his way across the deck to the back door, Brian looked back to see Molly watching him. Shaking his head, he let himself into the house and used the restroom, then opened the door, planning to head upstairs to look for Craig's office. But as he moved toward the stairs, he heard a voice from behind the partially open bedroom door at the end of the hall. He paused, looking to see if anyone would notice him eavesdropping. When he didn't see anyone, he moved closer, realizing it was Craig Taylor's voice.

"No...you know it's too late." There was silence for several moments before he said, "That's not what I said. You know I want to help...I'm just...tied up."

Craig was obviously on the phone, but who was he talking to and what was the call about?

"We always knew there would be casualties," Craig said, sounding unhappy. "Talk to the attorney and see what he says."

Was he talking about Brian potentially fighting the patent?

"Hear anything good?" Molly whispered behind him.

He jumped and spun around, trying to keep a poker face.

"Hey, Molly. I was just looking for the restroom."

"Hmm..." She crossed her arms. "You seem to have passed it." She pointed her thumb to the partially open door behind him.

"Huh." He tried to sound nonchalant. "The door was closed when I went by. I heard Craig in the other room, so I decided to ask him where I could find another bathroom."

Molly pinned him with her steely gaze.

The bedroom door opened and Craig came out. "Oh!" he said in surprise, looking nervous. "Hello, Brian. Hello, Molly honey. Are you ready for Justin's wedding excitement?"

Molly's mouth crooked into a devious smile. "You have no idea, Dad."

"Well..." He squeezed past the two of them. "I better get back out to Jen." He continued toward the kitchen, but Molly didn't budge, blocking Brian's path.

Her eyes narrowed. "What are you up to?"

"I told you. I was looking for the restroom."

She shook her head slowly, keeping her gaze on him. "No. You're up to something. I can feel it. The question is what?"

Brian looked her straight into the eye. "I'm going to marry Justin."

"No. I don't..."

"You are unbelievable!" Justin said in a loud voice, walking up behind Molly. "I told you to leave him alone!"

Molly turned to face her brother and Brian slid past her, moving next to Justin. "I told you that I don't trust him, and sure enough, I found him eavesdropping outside our parent's room!"

"Eavesdropping on what?" Mom's outside and I just passed Dad."

"Justin. Listen to me. Brian was listening to Dad's phone call. You can't trust this guy!"

"Molly! Keep your voice down," Justin whisper-hissed. "Why in the world would Brian eavesdrop on our father? What could he hope to hear? Do you know how paranoid and crazy that sounds?"

"It might sound paranoid, but it's true."

Justin shook his head. "You'll do anything to prove me wrong, won't you?"

Molly looked genuinely confused. "What are you talking about?"

"Now you're even making up lies, just to prove that you're right about your suspicions. It's my life. I make my own decisions. Got it?"

Molly looked hurt. She took a deep breath. "So you trust this cheating bastard more than your own sister. Thanks, Justin." She turned around and walked away.

Brian felt guilty. After all he was the reason for Justin's fight with his sister. Justin grabbed his wrist and pulled him down the hall.

"Justin? Are you..."

"I'm fine," he said, forcing a smile. "Let's go get introduced."

By the time they reached the kitchen, his hand trembled in Brian's clasp. He was upset whether he wanted to admit it or not.

"Justin." Brian pulled him to a halt. "Hold on for a second."

The blonde stopped in front of him, looking up at him with questioning, beautiful eyes. He was so agonizingly close and he looked so vulnerable. All Brian wanted to do was to take him in his arms and kiss him, assuring him that everything would be okay...Good god, since when did he have such lesbionic thoughts?

Brian noticed that they were still holding hands. He thought about dropping his hold, but couldn't seem to let go.

"She'll get over it," he finally said. "She loves you. That's the reason she tries to intervene the whole time."

Justin let out a deep breath, then forced a smile. "Maybe you're right."

"Maybe Daphne can talk to her. She will smooth things over."

Justin's smile turned genuine. "Yeah, she can't stand people fighting."

"I like Daphne." Brian reached his free hand around Justin's back and pulled him into his chest before he realized what he was doing. Touching him was as natural as breathing, and while that was dangerous, he didn't care much at the moment.

Justin relaxed into him, resting his cheek on Brian's chest.

They stood still for nearly a minute, and with every ticking second, Brian felt more and more certain this man was different than every other man he had ever met. The question was what did he do with that information? He didn't see any way to achieve a positive outcome.

Jennifer poked her head trough the back door and smiled.

"There you are! You can hug later. Come outside now."

 

Justin

 

Brian dropped his arm but held Justin's hand again, lacing their fingers together. Justin liked it more than he should, just like he'd felt when Brian was holding him. Somehow Justin was very touched about Brian's earlier reaction and how intuitive he had been about his feelings. He had to think about the fact that Ethan had always ignored his feelings and now this man he'd known for less than a day could see right through him.

Justin looked up at Brian, suddenly feeling shy, although he wasn't sure why.

Brian gave him a warm smile, filling him with reassurance. "Let's go."

Justin didn't answer as they headed out onto the deck. All the guests were still in the process of being ushered down to the patio around the pool. Justin's mother led him and Brian to the railing that overlooked the yard.

Jennifer cleared her throat, a delicate sound that garnered everyone's attention right away. "We'd like to thank you all -our dearest friends- for coming to celebrate the engagement of our only son, Justin Liam Taylor." She paused and gave Justin a loving smile before turning back to the crowd. "We regret that several of our acquaintances couldn't find the time to celebrate this special occasion. But we hope you have a great time and enjoy yourselves."

"Mom means the several homophobic acquaintances," Justin whispered with a slight smile.

He looked down a the somewhat thirty faces of his mother's friends, who stood around the pool and spilled into the edges of the yard. Daphne, a hopeless romantic who was currently glowing with excitement. His grandmother, who looked like she was privy to some private joke. And Molly who shot daggers of contempt at the man standing next to him. Justin had to admit that the view in front of him was breathtaking. The sky had darkened and the floating candles on the water and the candle chandelier hanging from the tent emitted a magical golden glow. His father said a few words and his mother clapped next to him, then announced, "And now we'll perform the handfasting ceremony."

That caught Justin's attention. He whipped his head around.

"Uhm...Mom. What?"

His mother was already moving behind them, a long strip of wide blue ribbon in her hand.

"Mom," Justin whispered loudly. "What are you doing?"

"I won't be outdone by that snotty Rebecca Miller," she whispered as she reached for Brian's right hand. "They did this at her daughter's wedding and she made a very inappropriate remark about your future wedding. Now we will show her that your engagement party is just as beautiful as her spoiled daughter's." She picked up Justin's hand and placed it palm down on Brian's forearm.

"Newsflash, Mom," Justin hissed. "I'm not a woman."

His mother gave him an exasperated huff. "Come on. Don't be a poor sport."

She looped the ribbon around Brian's wrist who looked at her with wide, unbelieving eyes.

"Mother!"

Brian raised an eyebrow.

There was no way they could get out of it.

Jennifer wound the ribbon around their arms and hands, weaving it in and out and making knots in various places as she spoke to the crowd about the commitment of marriage and how it would bind them together forever, trailing off when she got to a difficult part of the binding.

"Can you hold this?" she finally asked Brian, handing him one end of the ribbon.

He looked like he was about to break into a fit of laughter, but he rolled his lips into his mouth as Justin's mother fumbled with the other end. After two minutes, Justin's and Brian's arms were hopelessly tied and knotted together. Jennifer beamed, holding her arms out as if she'd pulled off some great accomplishment, like curing cancer or creating the world in seven days. Instead she had manufactured a mess that Justin was certain nothing less than divine intervention or a pair of sharp scissors could undo.

The partygoers grazed the bizarre performance with a weak round of applause, but if Jennifer was disappointed, she didn't let on. She started to pick at the knots- a hopeless task- but stopped when a woman approached her.

"Jen, we have to go, but thank you for inviting us to such a beautiful party." She glanced at Justin and Brian, her gaze dropping to their arms, which were trussed up like an unwanted Christmas present, before returning to their faces.

"Uhm...Congratulations to you both."

"Let me walk you out," Jennifer called after the woman.

"Mom!" When his mother walked away, Justin released a heavy sigh and gave Brian a sidelong glance.

An ornery grin spread across his face. "It may be a little late for this question, bow how do you feel about bondage?"

Justin smirked. "We need to find a pair of scissors."

"Looks like we've really tied the knot now," Brian remarked.

"Briaaaan!" Justin moaned. "Your jokes won't help us to get free."

"Right." Brian cleared his throat. "We need to find someone else to use the scissors."

Justin sighed. "I'm sorry about this."

"Well, I think that may have honestly been one of the top five odd experiences in my life."

Justin thought that Ethan might have said the same thing, but it would have been dripping with derision and annoyance. Brian just seemed to be genuinely amused.

Despite his suggestion to find scissors, Justin tried to pick at one of the knots with his left hand. "Stick around a couple of days," he said dryly. "I'm sure we'll be able to trump your entire top ten list."

"This is a good look for you, Jus." Daphne joined them, giggling. "Usually you're not so straight-laced. But now you seem to be very laced."

Justin shot her a glare. "You guys love puns, aren‘t you? Now go, find some scissors."

„I‘m tempted to..."

Scissors. Now."

Daphne took off for the kitchen, still laughing.

Justin looked around for his father, but he realized he‘d taken off while his mother was busy hog-tying him and Brian. Gram was nowhere to be seen.

Brian took several steps backward to move them to the lower, currently unoccupied deck, then swept his left hand toward an outdoor loveseat and a coffee table tucked into a dark corner. „Do you want to sit down? I suspect this might take a few minutes."

„Sure."

Brian sat on the coffee table, holding Justin's elbow to steady him as he sat on the seat in front of him.

„I‘m so sorry," Justin said again. „I had no idea she would do something like that." He used his left hand to pat Brian‘s chest. „Really, I..."

Brian cut him off, reaching behind his head and pulling Justin's mouth to his. Brian‘s kiss was soft and tentative, as though he expected him to pull away. Justin leaned into him instead, sliding the hand pressed to his chest up to the side of Brian‘s face. Brian‘s tongue ran along his lower lip and Justin gasped. Brian chuckled, then leaned in to kiss Justin again. „Being tied to you has been an intense experience."

„Justin! Come say goodbye to our guests!" Justin's mother shouted from the other side of the pool.

„She expects us to interact with people while we‘re tied up like this?" Brian asked, incredulous.

„I suspect she‘s already forgotten that we are. Where the hell is Daphne??"

„What are the chances of hiding out there?"

„Not so great."

„Hm. What a bummer."

Brian‘s breath was warm on Justin‘s face and his skin flushed. Brian kissed him gently, then sucked his lower lip between his teeth. Every part of Justin combusted and a bolt of desire shot straight to his groin.

„Don‘t break up with me, Justin," Brian whispered against his mouth. „Not tonight."

He kissed him again, his tongue licking his lip before it slipped into Justin's mouth. „Okay," Justin said breathlessly.

Shit, he really knows how to talk me around.

Brian‘s mouth claimed Justin's again, demanding and insistent.

Justin tried to press closer to him, but their bound hands got in the way.

„Where‘s Daphne?" Justin groaned.

Brian murmured his amusement against his lips.

„Justin!" his mother shouted again.

Justin pulled away. He tugged Brian across the deck until they were standing in front of his mother.

„Oh!" she exclaimed. „You‘re still wearing your bindings. That‘s so sweet."

„Mother," Justin said through gritted teeth. „We can‘t get them off."

„I‘m sorry, honey. Wait, let me get a..."

„We‘re going to head to bed, Mom. I‘ll help you clean this up tomorrow." Justin interrupted her.

„But..."

„Goodnight, Mom!" Justin called over his shoulder as he pulled Brian through the back door.

They found Daphne in the kitchen, sitting on a barstool as she sipped a glass of water and snacked on a plate of fresh carrots and celery. „You‘re still in bondage, I see. I hope you two have discussed a safe word."

„Daph, where are the scissors?"

Scissors?" she asked and winked at Brian. „I thought you might want a little more quality time."

Justin sighed. „Look, what we need right now is you to cut us loose."

Daphne gave them a mock pout. „You sure?"

Daphne."

She pursed her lips, mischief in her eyes. "This has to be consensual. Brian, do you agree to cut these ties that bind?"

"Yes, cut us loose," Brian said.

It took Daphne several minutes to cut them free. Justin rubbed the deep indentations on her arm.

Daphne grinned. "You two seem to need some lessons on bondage."

Justin grabbed Brian's wrist. "We'll be tied up."

Brian snorted. "You seem to love puns too."

Justin chuckled.

He headed for the stairs, pulling Brian with him. "Bye, Daph."

"Have a great night!" Daphne called after them.

Justin didn't stop until he got him into his room and shut the door. Brian stood with his back to it, his eyes suddenly serious.

He was probably the most handsome man Justin had ever known, but this was crazy. He hadn't even known him twenty-four hours. Yet...he wanted this. So badly.

Justin had had two drinks in quick succession and while he wasn't drunk, it had certainly shaved the edge off his nerves. "I like you."

Brian's voice turned husky. "I like you too, Mr. Taylor."

Justin took a step toward him. Brian closed the distance, slowly reaching for Justin's face with both hands and cupping his cheeks as he looked deep into his eyes. Still he hesitated.

"What are we doing?" Justin whispered, resting his hands on Brian's chest.

"I don't know. All I know is that you drive me crazy."

A hint of a smile returned on Justin's face. "I can tell."

He grabbed the back of Brian's head and opened his mouth to him, teasing the tip of his tongue with his. It was if he'd released a flood gate. Brian moved a hand behind Justin's back, pressing his body tighter to his, and his mouth became more demanding. A surge of desire washed through Justin, and the urge to be closer to him, to feel his bare skin under his fingertips, was impossible to resist. Justin loosened the knot in Brian's tie, then set to work on the buttons on his shirt.

They broke apart, both of them breathless as Brian pushed his sleeves down his arms, his fingertips trailing softly in the fabric's wake.

Justin stood in front of him wearing only his underwear.

Brian took in the sight with appreciation and then reached for him again, crushing Justin's mouth with his.

Justin placed his hands on Brian's bare chest and slid them around to his back, his hands gripping Brian's shoulder blades. He pulled him backward to the edge of the bed, then reached for his belt, quickly unfastening it before working on the button and zipper of his jeans. A groan released from him as he felt the bulge of Brian's erection against his hand.

He stared up at him, flushing at the desire in Brian's eyes as he admired Justin's body. He expected Brian to kiss him again, but the brunette took a step backward instead, conflict in his eyes.

He took a deep breath and heaved it out. "I don't think we should do this."

Horror rushed through Justin. "What?"

Brian closed his eyes. "Justin. We can't do that."

Justin shook his head, trying to regain his senses. He turned his back to him, mortified at the rejection. "Well, let's...let's just go to sleep."

"Justin, it's not you..."

"Right," he said, tears stinging his eyes. "This was a bad idea anyway. We'll break up first thing tomorrow, and then you can get back to saving your business." He spun around to face the other man. "That's why you're here, right? I'm just a good karma detour."

Brian looked toward the wall and rubbed the back of his neck. "I'm going to take a shower. Do you need to use..."

Justin shook his head. "No. Go."

Brian grabbed his bag and disappeared into the bathroom, closing the door behind him.

Justin buried his face in his hands. How in the world could they sleep in the same bed now?

But a wave of exhaustion overcame him, so he pulled back the covers and climbed under them. Maybe Brian thought about another guy? Was he thinking about him right now in the shower? Justin swallowed. The thought sent a blaze of jealousy through him and he had to laugh at his idiocy. Brian Kinney had never been his. This was just an arrangement and the sooner Justin not only accepted it, but ended it, the better.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Have a great weekend! :)

I'm always happy about reviews on my stories. I really love the chemistry between Brian and Justin in this one. It's so much fun to write.