Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

 

It had been 3 months since the gala now and to everyone's surprise, including his, things were going great with Justin. His only complaint was that they were not seeing enough of each other. The artist was now doing painting on his fabric and apparently, that part of the work was going to take months. Justin was already afraid of not meeting his deadline and therefore was working overtime, starting very early in the morning and not ending before 8 or 9 PM, completely exhausted.

 

So instead of spending every night together, most of the times it was 3 or 4 times a week. However, they did continue their windows phone conversation each night. It was quite ridiculous in fact, because winter had come, and there were probably 1000 more comfortable ways to discuss then clad in boots, coats, scarfs, beanie (for Justin) and gloves while seated on an iced window sill. But for some reason, none of them ever complained or missed a call.

 

One day, Brian had asked Justin to keep his blinds open all day long; the blond had been reluctant at first, because Brian was not the only tenant in his building and he didn't want his privacy invaded by the people living on the lower floors. Brian had insisted, saying he wasn't asking for Justin to make a striptease at the window. They had settled for Justin to open his blinds every evening when he went up to his apartment and close them before going to sleep.

 

It was the best deal ever, there was nothing that Brian enjoyed more (well, there was, but still) than to watch Justin do mundane things, like cooking, doing some cleaning up in his place, or just sitting on his sofa daydreaming. He suspected Justin to do just the same because he often caught the blond looking at his windows. Of course, since Justin was alone in his building, Brian could put a lot more show. He would strip as soon as he got home and then just spend the evening naked. One night, he had dimed the light in his living room and proceeded to undress as slowly and sensually as he could, ending by taking out his briefs with his back at the windows.

 

When he had turned to see Justin's reaction, he had burst laughing. The blond was comfortably seated in a chair he had pulled in front of a window, feet crossed on the window sill, with a bowl of what was obviously popcorn on his lap, grinning. Justin had crossed the street minutes later.

 

Another day, Brian had woke up and peered mechanically at Justin's building, to find a huge watercolor portrait of him set between the blinds and the glass of a window. Brian had no idea that Justin had been doing the portrait, he didn't even know that the blond could do watercolors, none of what he had shown him of his previous works included one.

 

Brian had stood staring at his portrait for a long time, mesmerized. Only when he heard his phone ringing did he notice Justin warmly clothed, a cup of coffee in one hand, sitting legs crossed two windows away.

 

“Hey! About time, I'm freezing my ass here. Like it?”

 

Brian had to clear his throat.

 

“It's beautiful, Justin. Just beautiful.”

 

Justin laughed happily : “I know! And I haven't done watercolors in years!”

 

“When did you find the time to do this?”

 

“You know, during pauses, it helps me clear my mind, doing something just for pleasure.”

 

“Can I have it? I'll pay you, of course. Name your price.”

 

“Always the businessman, aren't you? You want to buy it now because you know my market value is going to go skyrocketing once the Yoly's project is done. Clever move, but I want to keep it. Of course, if you're really really good, I might reconsider my decision.”

 

“I was thinking more of being really really bad. You have no idea how bad I can be.”

 

He saw Justin smile.

 

“That might work too.”

 

* * *

 

Brian was meeting Michael at the diner for lunch. Michael and Ben had finally decided that there was no going back. They were now trying to separate in good terms, if only for Hunter's sake. The young man was now 19. He had refused to go to college, eager to start earning his leaving and had found a job as a salesman in a furniture store. He was doing quite well and had his own place. He had refused to take side in his foster parents dispute and therefore was in good terms with both.

 

When Brian entered the diner and spot Michael in a booth, he was relieved to see him in a good mood. The 2 friends kissed hello, ordered and Michael related the latest events in the break. Ben was being very generous. He had finally decided to keep the house, because with his HIV status, his age, and a 21 year partner with a student loan, he couldn't get a new loan from any bank. So it was easier to keep the house and have the previous loan put in his sole name. He agreed to pay back Michael's share of the house for 10.000 $, which was a lot more than it was worth. He also agreed to share all the furniture in half, leaving Michael to make his pick and told him that he could stay in the house for another month. So things were brightening up for Michael.

 

“So, have you began searching for a new place?”

 

“Yes, I made a few visits, nothing quite fits for now. In fact, I wanted your opinion.”

 

“About what? Wall paper? Plumbing?”

 

“Well, remember, a few months ago, you mentioned that Gus was getting bigger, and that he liked to spend a night at your place but it wasn't very convenient since he doesn't have a room and is too big for a travel cot.”

 

“So? You want to buy my loft?”

 

“Well you want to sell it right? To have a place with real rooms? So I was thinking, why don't you and I buy something together?”

 

Brian stared at him in disbelief and started laughing.

 

“What? I'm serious! Think about it, it would totally work. I mean, you and I, we get along perfectly. We always have. And it's not like we never lived together; before you went to college, you slept more nights in my room than in your place. I love Gus, I'm good with kids. And that way, we can have both J.R. and Gus visit at the same time. It's good for the siblings, good for the fathers. When you're too busy, I can take care of both. See? It's perfect.”

 

“You really have been thinking it through, haven't you?”

 

“Well, yes. And I know you make a lot more money than me, so it wouldn't be equal ownership, maybe 90/10 so things are fair. The thing is, on my own, I can't buy something decent. Brian, it 's an opportunity! It's like destiny, Ben and me divorcing at the same time you want to move out of the loft. You keep saying we'll end up retired together in Florida. It's exactly the same, just a bit earlier!”

 

“You don't see any privacy issues, here?”

 

“Like I care about you tricking! Brian, I'm not proposing, we'll be like roommates, you can still fuck who you want.”

 

Brian set his coffee cup back on the table and leaned over towards Michael.

 

“So when you come home from your hard day's work and find me fucking 2 hot sweaty guys on our couch, that's okay with you? Maybe you'll join us?”

 

Michael looked uncomfortable. “Well, we'll need some rules of course”.

 

“Of course. Michael. Listen. Listen to me carefully. Maybe I'll sell the loft. Maybe I'll buy a 30 rooms manor with stables and pool. But even then you would not be living with me. If you're ever homeless and need shelter, my door will always be open for you. But that will never be a permanent situation.”

 

Michael looked crushed. Brian looked at him and added in a gentler tone. “Michael...living in Florida together when all we can do is move from the bed to the couch is one thing. Right now, we would end up killing each other. You want us to remain best friends? Keep you space and I'll keep mine.”

 

Michael kept silent for a few minutes. Then, in a dull tone, he asked : “Brian, you're not saying no because of that blond, are you? I mean, you know he'll be gone in what now, 6 months ?”

 

“I'm perfectly aware of it, don't think you have to keep on reminding me.”

 

“You haven't answered me. Justin is still leaving in 6 months right?”

 

“Yes, Michael, he is. Gotta get back to work now, see you.”

 

 

* * *

 

2 weeks after this conversation, Brian was reading the latest report from the bodyguard agency. As usual, Anatol was spotted in the street a couple of times, but he had made no attempt to approach the building or to contact Justin. He just stood across the street, staring at the door, muttering to himself for a few minutes and left. There was no sign of Cody Bell or his posse. It had been the same since he had hired them. It was costing him a fortune, but he could afford it and it felt like money well spent. The guys were good too, he always had a hard time spotting them, they used different cars with darkened glasses and went totally unnoticed to those who didn't know they were there.

 

Carl was keeping him informed of Cody trial's but so far it had been postponed twice, so Cody was still on the street. At least he kept away from Justin, even if Brian had spotted him a few times on Liberty Avenue. It was a good thing that he had been banned from Woody's.

 

He had just finished reading when he got a particularly perky Justin on the phone for their usual talk.

 

“Brian, Daphne is coming to visit! I haven't seen her for 1 year, I can't wait for you 2 to meet, you're gonna love her, she's just the nicest, funniest, smartest person you'll ever meet!”

 

“Right, who's Daphne?”

 

“Come on! I told you about her! I stayed at her parent's house when I got kicked out in Atlanta! She's been my best friend since kindergarten, well I should better say my only friend.”

 

“We're friends.”

 

“Brian of course we're not friends. We're, you know, this thing that might make you fall of your window if I dare say it out loud.”

 

Brian chuckled, rubbing his hand over his face. “Say it.”

 

“You're not going to go all raging mad on me again, are you?”

 

“Say it!”

 

“LOVERS!!” Justin had yelled the word across the street, not bothering to use the phone and then he had laughed, joined by Brian.

 

* * *

 

The day he knew Daphne was supposed to arrive, he got a text message the second he entered the loft. “Get naked and come to the window!”

 

Shaking his head, he entered the bedroom, stripped, checked carefully his hair, sprayed some oil on his chest, dimed the light and walked leisurely to the window. He had to stop from laughing at the 2 faces crashed again the window, one grinning proudly, the other gaping shamelessly. After a moment, the girl turned to Justin and said something that he couldn't make out but Justin's smug answer was obvious “I know!”

 

He saw Justin take his phone and took the call immediately. “Did I pass the test?”

 

He heard Justin giggle and realized they probably both were drunk, or stoned, or both. Then, still laughing in the phone, Justin said “Brian, please meet Daphne.”