Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sometimes three heads are better than one.

Two weeks later

 

I’m in the middle of Brian’s kitchen sauteing vegetables and trying not to overcook my shrimp when I heard the front door buzzing.  

 

‘Seriously, Brian? You told me you had your keys on you when you left. I’m trying to cook dinner without ruining the entire dish.’ I griped and grumbled as I pulled the sauce pan from the heat, trotted over to the intercom, and punched in the code to let him in the building.

 

I returned to stirring my pots and pans while reminiscing on how peaceful and settled my life was now that Brian and I were back on the same page. So far, we haven’t hit any major road bumps in this non-relationship of ours. I still was Daphne’s tenant but I spent the night with Brian several times a week and saw him daily at the diner.

 

A light tap on the loft’s door brought me back down to earth.

 

‘Bri, you’re killing me. I asked you to pick up two little items so you better have a hundred bags of groceries and need help with them.’  I shoved open the heavy door.

 

And then I just stood there with my mouth gaping open at the guy in the doorway.

 

It was him: my body double. Despite the fact that he was wearing a suit instead of clothes that looked like he had raided my closet, the sight of him still freaked me out.

 

The pale blue eyes widened at the sight of me. “Hey, sorry for disturbing you, but is Brian around?”

 

“Uh, he stepped out for a moment and will be back shortly. Would you like to come in and wait for him?” My inner WASP would not allow me to forget my manners.

 

“I feel like I’m imposing because you don’t know me from Adam. I should have called first but I just wanted to return some videos I borrowed from him a few weeks ago while I was in the neighborhood.”

 

“I remember you. I’m Justin Taylor and I believe your name is Al…?”

 

“According to the big guy’s mood of the day, it’s Alvin, Allen, Alfred, or even Albert. But my given name is Alex. It’s great to officially meet you at last.”

 

Justin automatically shook the hand Alex extended to him. “Oh, yeah? Why is that?”

 

“Well, because I feel like I already know you. Listen, if you think I’m out of line just tell me to shut up. I’m thrilled to see you two have come to your senses after all these months. Do you know how hard it is to find someone who thinks you hung the moon? We both know you got a good man. And what’s sad is that most people will never be so lucky.”

 

“Yes, I am perfectly well aware that Brian is a great guy. Would you like something to drink?”

 

“No thanks, I’m good. I can see from the sparks shooting from your eyes that you are holding on to your niceness by a thread. Just rest your nerves because I have no designs on your man. Believe me when I say that I was just a crutch that helped the big guy through a rough patch in his life.

 

In return, he gave me a chance, believed in me, and helped me to see I could be more than I was at the time. He never treated me like a rent boy even when he paid for the service rendered.”

 

“I am glad to hear that you and Brian were there for each other while I was gone.”

 

“I hope I haven’t offended you. Please don’t think that we sat around and bad mouthed you all the time.  I know things must have been bad for you to leave him. I’ve learned that Brian Kinney is nobody’s saint. And sometimes you’ll just want to wring his neck. He can be a challenge but if you are up to it, he’s worth it. The guy is short on words but his actions speak for him loud and clear when he is  unwilling or unable to do it for himself.

 

If you two can remember to take care of each other, there’s no way either of you will screw up and lose each other again.”

 

Alex and I were both startled into silence when we heard the sound of Brian clearing his throat.

 

“Well, what have we here? It’s the Doublemint Twins: Sunshine and Alford.  Ouch, my ears are really burning right about now. Should I come back after you two have finished discussing me?”

 

“Kinney, we’re done so don’t be such a grumpy bear.  I came here to return your property. Some of those flicks are definitely classics and so retro.” Alex rose from the sofa. “I’m out of here. I hope you gentlemen enjoy your dinner. Jambalaya, right? It sure smells great in here.”

 

Justin jabbed Brian with his elbow. “You are welcome to stay, I made more than enough.”

 

“Thanks for the offer but my guy is waiting for me. Hey, I’ve got a great idea, why don’t you two come over for dinner this weekend. Steven loves to cook and he’s originally from New Orleans. That man can make a mean gumbo. I’ll call you back with the details, and please say yes. Nice talking with you Justin. I’ll see you guys later.”

 

“Later.” Brian and I responded in unison.

 

Brian set the alarm and turned to me with his arms folded across his chest. “Sunshine, you have that look on your face. Is there something you want to express?”

 

“No, yes, I mean no.” I was taken aback and stumbled over my words.

 

“Well, I do. So that means we are going to discuss the neon purple plaid and polka dotted elephant standing here in the middle of this loft.”

 

“Brian, you don’t owe me any explanations whatsoever.” I sidled past him and returned to my simmering dutch oven.

 

“Cut the crap, Justin. I see the wheels spinning in your little blond head. So, turn off your cauldron, grab us a beer, have a seat, and let’s have this out once and for all.”

 

“You’d been gone about three weeks when I ‘ordered’ Alex. I almost kicked him back out of the loft but $300 had already exchanged hands. I doubt seriously if the kid would have even considered giving me a partial refund.

 

I was horny and high as a kite but as long as I didn’t look directly at him I could pretend he was you. I could try to convince myself that you had never left if I didn’t have to see his face.  It was almost hard to touch him at first; he felt almost wrong to me. Not because I was feeling guilty but more like disgusted with myself and him. In the back of my mind I found myself thinking that this kid was nothing more than an imposter or a wannabe, and how dare he try to replace you.

 

Alex was my pain management of choice that night and it was the first and only time we had sex in any way, shape, or form.”

 

Suddenly Brian gasped and shoved his hand down the front of his jeans and thoroughly groped himself.

 

“Brian, what’s wrong, are you okay? What’s going on, are you in pain? Do I need to dial 911 for you?”

 

“Whew, thank god it’s still there. Disconnect your call Sunshine… I’m good.” Brian grinned and pulled me into his arms.  “It’s just that I’m not used to all this lesbionic sharing and communicating. For a moment I thought I had grown a twat!”

 

“Brian, you scared me, you ass!”

 

“Sorry, Sunshine. Anyway, as you know, Alex is involved with someone. Several weeks ago, he told me that his ex-John/sugar daddy wanted to make them a permanent item. His guy has come out of the closet and wants to give them a try. They have a place together and are probably picking out china and silverware patterns even as we speak.

 

Long story short, I decided to help a kid out by calling in a favor and putting in a good word for him here and there. As a result, the guy became gainfully employed and was able to stop hustling.  Eventually, he became a friend, and you know my policy on sexing my friends. That will never change.

 

The evening you ran into Alex downstairs was ‘movie night.’ He loves Brando but is still on the fence about James Dean. He lost a lot of cool points with me but, I guess there’s no accounting for some people’s tastes.”

 

“So what you’re trying to say is your boy Alex is just a friend and nothing more?”

 

“That’s is correct, Sunshine. And you know that I don’t have sex with my friends,” Brian rolled his lips into his mouth and smirked. “Even if they are almost as hot as you are.”

 

 “Ooooh, flattery will get you anywhere and everywhere, Mr. Kinney!” I placed my arms around Brian’s neck and kissed him gently.

 

“And now that we have vanquished your green eyed monster, what do you think of Alex, Sunshine?”

 

“He seems to be a decent kind of guy. It was nice of him to invite us over to his place for dinner. I think we would have a good time.”

 

“That remains to be seen because if that Steven of his resembles me in any way, shape, or form, I’m making a beeline for the nearest door or window.”

 

“And I will be right behind you because that situation would be entirely too Twilight Zone-ish for me to wrap my head around.

 

Bri, you wouldn’t believe the crazy thought that ran across my mind when Alex and I were talking earlier. Picture this: you, me, and Alex showing up at the diner. The gang would lose it, Debbie would flip her wig, and Kiki would faint dead away. I don’t know about you but, I’d pay good money to see the looks on their faces.”

 

“You are such a twat.” Brian laughed out loud as he lifted Justin from the floor and wrapped the younger man’s legs around his trim waist.

 

“Yes, but I’m your very own private twat.” I licked Brian’s throat and bit his chin lightly. “Dinner’s ready… are you hungry?”

 

”For food? Not really. Alex was right, it smells delicious but is it okay if we get to it later? As a matter of fact, all of a sudden I’m feeling kind of sleepy. Do you wanna take a nap with me?”

 

 Brian gave an exaggerated yawn as he pulled his wife beater over his head and reached for the zipper on my cargo pants.

 

 

 “I thought you’d never ask, Mr. Kinney. Don’t worry about dinner, it will keep. You know what they say about Jambalaya… it’s always better on the second day.”

 

THE END

Chapter End Notes:

Well, that’s all folks! I hope you enjoyed my story as much as I enjoyed writing it. I appreciate all the comments and reviews. Thanks for hanging on to the end.