Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Story Notes:

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:

For Brian, sometimes money can buy love even if it is only a reasonable facsimile thereof.

 

Brian slid open the heavy metal door to his loft and beckoned in his late night guest.

 

“Hi, I’m Alex, and you are? Sorry, I didn’t get your name earlier.”

 

 “Yeah, yeah, I figured that is who you might be since you seem to fit the description. As for my name, don’t worry your pretty little blond head about it. A formal introduction is absolutely unnecessary for what we have planned for tonight.” Brian’s intense hazel eyes scanned the kid from head to toe. “I guess you’ll do. The bedroom is over there.” He tilted his chin toward the sleeping area of his loft.

 

Alex held out his hand palm up. “We agreed on $300, right?”

 

Brian pinched the bridge of his nose and thought to himself: Brian Kinney, the stud of Liberty Avenue, paying for a trick.  How low the mighty have fallen. He placed several bills in the guy’s hand and waited patiently while the cash was carefully counted and pocketed away.

 

Brian recalled the first night he brought a certain untried blond youth to his loft. However, while this current blond kid appeared to be a bit less nervous than Justin had been a year or so ago, he seemed to be equally as determined. This kid was a little bigger, a tad taller, and maybe a couple of years older than Justin.  His blond locks were longer, the eyes a lighter shade of blue, and his pale features were not as delicate as Justin’s. He appeared to be more wary and distrustful than the under-aged twink who had upended Brian’s universe all those months ago.

 

God, Brian thought to himself, please tell me this is not his first time because I am so not in the mood to mentor anyone tonight. After all, he is supposed to be a professional.

 

The young man strode purposely up the stairs to the bed, stripped down to his skin, and reclined on the slightly rumpled navy blue sheets.

 

Brian did the same and peered at the young man’s face for several long seconds.  The kid gave him a slight smile and zoomed in for a kiss. Brian halted him with a palm to the chest and muttered “None of that. Turn over.”

 

Two hours later, Brian lit a cigarette and blew several rings into the air.

 

  “Hey can I ask you something?” Alex inquired softly

 

  “No, I don’t want a round three, no you can’t use my shower, and no you can’t spend the night. So, get up, get dressed, and get out. You got 5 minutes.”  Brian responded rudely. 

 

As Alex pulled his too-small tee over his tousled blond mop he asked almost shyly, “Is that kid in the photo the reason you kept calling me Sunshine?”

 

 “What photo are you babbling about?”  Brian growled sharply.

 

“Look, I’m sorry just forget what I said. I don’t want any trouble, ok? Give me a minute to get my shoes on and I’ll be gone.” Alex raised his hands defensively at the look of rage that distorted Brian’s features. “Look, I saw the picture when you told me to grab a few more condoms from the nightstand drawer. I swear I wasn’t snooping through your things.”

 

 As Brian stared the youth down, the young man’s full bottom lip trembled slightly. Brian almost winced as the analogy ‘kicked puppy’ crossed his mind.

 

Brian jerked opened the nightstand drawer located on what use to be Justin’s side of the bed. He reached in and pulled out the copy of the picture Daphne snapped of him and Justin over a year ago. Justin was wrapped up in Brian’s arms, his trademark 500 megawatt smile gleaming as Brian nibbled on his ear.

 

Brian sank down on the edge of bed and stared at the photo.

 

“He has a beautiful smile. You must miss him a lot. Is he okay?” Alex said quietly.

 

Brian swallowed audibly, “last time I saw him he looked like he was doing alright.”

 

“He almost looks kind of familiar to me, you know what I’m saying? Do you want to talk about him?” Alex looked Brian squarely in the eye.

 

“Not really. You want a beer, Allen?” Brian asked suddenly.

 

 “It’s Alex. Do you have any juice or soda, I’d love either one if you don’t mind.”  Alex responded politely. “Thanks, man. Despite what my choice of profession says about me, I don’t drink or party much at all. Back home, we didn’t have much of a nightlife, gay or straight. When I got here a few months ago, I walked up and down Liberty Avenue.  And, what can I say? All those clubs, bars, and other activities in the area blew my mind.  One of these days, I plan to check out that club called Babylon because it looks like a fun place.  Have you ever been there?”

 

Brian almost strangled on his beer.  “Yeah, I frequent Babylon from time to time.  Where are you from Albert, and what are you doing here in our fair city?” It’s plain to see that this young man is brand new and it is obvious that he knows nothing about the legendary feats of Brian Kinney.

 

Alex revealed that he was from a small town in Virginia and his story was not a new one.  He was a closeted high school senior, an ‘A’ student, working a part-time job and saving for college. The plan was to leave home at the end of August to attend school in Pittsburg early in September. However, his people booted him out in late April. Alex had a few faithful friends who allowed him to couch surf as needed or sleep in their parent’s garages and basements. The young man even spent a few nights up in a neighbor’s treehouse when the weather warmed up. It would have been fun if his circumstances were different.

 

The day after graduation, Alex pulled the remainder of his life savings—all $1900 bucks---from the bank and made his way to Pittsburgh via Greyhound. He became roomies with a friend from home who was studying to be an actor during the day and moonlighting as an escort at night. His boy Joey, assured Alex that he had the body and good looks ergo, getting him the hook up would be a piece of cake.  Alex would have no problem making enough cash to live on and pay for his school expenses when the semester began.

 

“So, I did what I had to do until the gods finally smiled on me. One fine day, I lucked up and met an older guy named Steven. We became roomies and lovers for several months while he was in town for business. I am just going to call a spade a spade and admit Steven was my Sugar Daddy, but he was also my friend. He paid my rent up for three months so I didn’t have to worry about it. We went shopping all the time and he bought me the first nice suit I’ve ever owned.” Alex’s voice was barely above a whisper.

 

“But, all good things come to an end and eventually, Steven had to return to his real life in the Midwest. But, before he left he taught me how to look after myself because this is such ‘a dog eat dog world.’ We attended a self-defense class together for six weeks. He would always share these little pearls of wisdom with me without sounding like he was preaching. You know what I mean? We both knew I didn’t like my job but he never made me feel bad about what I did.  It was honest work. And most important of all, he and I may have never met otherwise. On the day he left Steven gave me a few grand to put away for a rainy day…a kiss on my cheek…and wished me well.  He told me that if I ever really needed help to contact him asap. It’s great to know that if I get into a jam he will be there for me but I’m going to try to do this on my own and make Steven proud.”

 

“Yeah, you do that, Kid. Making it out here takes determination, setting goals, and seeing them through. Remember, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Or so I have heard.” Brian assured the youth.

 

 “Hey, I like that. Can I get a high five from you?”  Alex raised a palm expectantly and Brian smacked it lightly. “I am excited about starting school next semester. I think I’m really going to enjoy all my classes and I am determined to keep my grades up and maybe even qualify for a scholarship. I'm a year behind but that was unavoidable. I hate being a paid trick but it’s not going to be forever. I plan to make something of myself in spite of all the negativity I get from my homophobic naysaying relations.”

 

“Well,” Brian said with a wide yawn, “some of us have real jobs to do in the morning so, it is time to say nitey nite.  I’ve been thinking, and I hope you don’t make me regret this but, I am going to break one of my cardinal rules.” Brian rifled through the cards in his wallet and copied a phone number on a yellow scrap of paper. “Now listen to me, Alfred. Are you listening?”

 

Alex nodded intently.

 

“Again, I don’t usually…make that never…do this. I must really be under the influence if I am making an exception to this rule for someone I just met and only know in the biblical sense. You seem to have a somewhat level head on your shoulders and I haven’t done my good deed for the month yet. You did say you own a decent suit, Alfred?” Brian raised an eyebrow as he pursed his lips in disbelief.  “Call this number in a couple days and tell them Kinney referred you. My guy may have something that would be a better fit for you.”  Brian placed the note beside Alex’s glass. 

 

Alex snatched up the note and grinned from ear to ear.  “Thank you, I really appreciate it. Hey, can I see you again? Of course, it will be on me next time.” Alex added hopefully.

 

The sight of that wide bright smile gave Brian a pang in the pit of his belly. “Now look here, Alvin.  Number one:  I don’t take charity. Number two, I don’t do sloppy seconds…even if they are my own.  But, since there’s a first time for everything, I’ll think about it.  Don’t lose that number. I’m going to hit the shower and then the sack. It is past my bedtime and I need my beauty rest.” Brian smothered another yawn.

 

 

“Well, I guess I will hit the bricks.” Alex lifted a hand in farewell.  “Thanks for everything and I will see myself out. Good night and sleep tight.”

 

TBC

 

Chapter End Notes:

Michael Jackson has been gone seven years and I still can't wrap my head around it. He would have been 58 years old this month. RIP, MJ!

As always, I hope you enjoy my story. Reviews, comments, and constructive criticism are appreciated.