Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

 

When the alarm woke him up early Monday morning, Brian already knew that this entire week will be chaotic, and he will be exhausted by the end of it. But having seen Justin, fucked him, made love to him, talked to him, and spent time together with him, he could start the day with a clear mind full of happiness. Getting out of the platform bed, he start getting ready for work. He had no desire to linger in this loft, which was a sanctuary to him in his younger years but now just surrounded him with feelings of loneliness. The quietness in this place unnerved him. Can't blame him when he went from living in a house full of people to being alone.

As he steps into the shower, he can feel the charm necklace on his skin. The keyholder charm of golden gardenias that also had his kids' names was a constant reminder of the people who loved him and who he loved in return, and the entire reason to work his ass off. Having money, lots of money, will allow him to take care of his family. First thing was to go to work early, then start to plan out in detail all that he needed to do and to get down. He had a year, a year till Gus will be born, and all he could do till then was to prepare without letting anyone else besides Justin, Ted and maybe Cynthia know what he was doing. If he did not want to tempt fates, the night that Gus was born, that was when Justin will officially enter his life.

************************

Monday morning arrives quickly then he want to. Justin simple wants to sleep the day way but knew that was not going to happen. When he lift his head off the pillow, reaching to shut the alarm clock, he feels a weight around his neck. Looking down at his chest, he sees the charm almost sparking due to the sunlight in the room. The charm of golden gardenias instantly makes him smile as he once again takes the charm in his hand, the loft key on the keychain that he had not really paid attention to till last night, turning the charm over, he sees the engraving of names.

Those names right there were all the motivation and the reason he will ever need to fight. To live, this second chance to the fullest and to work his ass off for their future. In this life, he will always be with his partner Brian and they will fight all of their battles together to make a family full of love surrounding them. So he gets out of bed and start preparing for the day lightly humming. Hey it was not every day that you wake up after getting married to Brian Kinney. It was unconventional just like they were and it just fit them perfectly.  

Breakfast was a repeat from last Friday. His parents and sister chatting while he sat eating. It was better this way since he had really forgot the WASP etiquette for meals with family" over the years.

With Brian and the kids, breakfast starts quiet as no one talk before they all get their cup of coffee or milk to fully wake up. Then when all of them are not feeling like yelling or groaning, it's the true breakfast time. Eating on that round table as all of the kids tell us what's going on that day or teasing between the kids, I use to simply observe the faces of my kids. Their happy faces were the proof that he needed of the happiness in our family and when he had look next to me and see the relax expression of Brian's face, Justin knew that he was happy and finally surrounded by family and love. Just thinking about that scene which had happened quite often, starts his urge to sketch. Art was his outlet, and it was art that help to express his feelings.

"Justin, honey what are your plans for today?" hearing his mother's voice, he looks up at his mother and just simply say that it's the usual end of the year at school but he may stay late to work at the art studio then have dinner with Daphne before she drop him home. When he looks for a second at his father, he see the slight frown on his face at the mention of art though it disappears as quickly from Craig Taylor's face. So his father had a problem with him from the beginning regarding his art, he just hadn't noticed it the first time around. At least now he knew that he will definitely go ahead with his plan for emancipation. He was never going to live in a house that was made on the appearance of love rather than actual love, that had hate in it.

Being a father, he knew all about difficult children or his children going for things that he personally did not like but it didn't matter because he had always loved his children no matter what. He knew that in a family of WASPs, sometimes, family reputation had the same or more importance to parents than loving their children. Craig Taylor always cared about family appearance before others and his mother did not go against his decisions. Grabbing his bags, he kiss his mother goodbye and go out the house, towards Daphne's. Luckily it seems that Daphne is still a bit sleepy so she is not in interrogation mode, a small favor, she will remember about Brian soon.

**************************************

Arriving early to work had its advantages. He could relax behind closed doors of his office, without worrying about someone walking in, and he could make several personal calls, without any interruptions and this morning, he had plenty of things to take care of before he start on his office work.

First, it was to a large storage facility near the loft to book three different containers. One for his wardrobe, the other for his furnitures, and one for Justin's art supplies. He made sure to tell the storage facility to store the supplies exactly the way it is stated on the packaging. He did not want to with the art crusader Justin's rants on the importance of maintenance and care for art supplies. No matter how angelic his looks was, and will be in the future, inside Justin is a daredevil that can become someone's worst nightmare if they belittle either his art of his children or him.

Second call was to the moving company, the same one that he had used to set up his loft a couple of years ago. His furniture needed to be carefully handled and these guys knew exactly what to do. He made the appointment for them to empty out the loft right around 6:30, the faster Jerry and his brother starts their work the better and it was best for them to see the space without any furniture. He had sent a text to Justin before to come over to the loft at 7, they will have about an hour before Jerry and his brother arrives for the consultation.

Then he call the locksmith to hire him again to change the locks of all the units through the building and to also insert a keypad lock at the entrance with the numeric BRITIN as the code. Luckily Brian was the only occupant in his building at the moment, so it was an easy thing. This was the building was secure, and only those who have both the key and the code could enter his home. Which definitely was not going to be his walk-in-at-anytime friends of his.

Finally, he called Spring Hills and reserved a single room for at least a month with option to extend the stay if needed. Now everything was set for the renovations to start.

Now, it was time to plan as well as work on his accounts. Luckily he did not have any pitches today so if he works through the day, he will be able to finish a tentative business plan for Kinnetik, the Tremont building, the advertisement for his Sunshine's art, the information about the lawyers, not to mention the calculations for the fees will be done. It was good thing that he had finished all of his office work on Friday except for checking with the art department so he will have eight hours to finish it up. After the plans were done, then it was time to make money.

Making money was like a hobby to him that never got old no matter how much time has passed and with future knowledge aiding him, he will be more of a shark than ever.

*****************************************

Cynthia Moore loved her job. Sure it was a very stressful job under a very demanding boss but she will not change it for the world. Her boss, Brian Kinney had a reputation for being difficult and that was the reason that soon after she was employed by Ryder Advertising, she had the job as the Executive Assistant for the rising star of the agency. Brian Kinney had already went through all the qualified assistants in the agency and none of them had met his standards. After a really tough month, when she got her first semi-compliment from him, that was when Cynthia knew and even if the job was tough, the boss almost impossible, she loved her work.

That's why she was worried last Friday when his behaviour seem to be off. Brian Kinney actually talk to a potential client, an unknown client that no one ever heard off as she had checked 'Britin Manor' but it didn't exist anywhere, and had gone on a last-minute personal vacation without notice. Then he came back early from his vacation, came to the office in casual clothes, suits was in jeans and jacket at his place of employment with no worries, didn't even yell about the call that he had received from Michael when it was not an emergency, just told her to have a good day after putting the number of Justin from 'Britin Manor' as the contact that can interrupt his anytime. When she left the office on Sunday, she had decided that if there was any more reason for concern, she will do a test for drugs herself.

Imagine her surprise when on Monday, when she arrived at the office at 8:30, Brian was in the office already.

Don't get her wrong, Brian coming early to the office was not a big deal but what was not normal was his working environment. It was neat like always but he had his laptop open as well as his desktop. In front of him were multiple notepads. From what she saw they were different coloured. No seriously, there was four different notebooks, blue, red, yellow and green. The notebooks were piled to the side of the laptop. All Cynthia could do was blink and do her usual duty of reporting to him, as Brian check up on the boards, or shuffle papers for pitches. But as subtle as she could, she peak at the notebooks and the laptop.

The laptop screen was open to a spreadsheet, it look like an itinerary list. Most likely it was for taxes or something, it was best to start on those early so you avoid the rush. The notebook on the other hand, were labelled at the spine. The labels were simple ‘Art', ‘Company', ‘Fund', ‘Lawyers.' All things that was related to their work. Maybe she had been worried for nothing, her boss most likely had an off-day on Friday and the weekend was a nice rest. All he did was change his filing system, what was there to worry about that?

"Oh, Cynthia," at Brian's voice she twirl around to face him and he was looking directly at her. "Put Michael on the take message list. Same with Deb. You can let Emmett, Vic, or Ted interrupt me when I am not in a meeting. Justin like I told you before has unlimited access to me at all hours. From now on, don't schedule anything for me from 11:30 to 12:30. I will be doing my pro-bono work for Britin around that time. Also if someone from an art supply store calls today, give them this info. Also remind them to be extra careful with the items." Taking the slip from Brian, she saw that it was a number of a storage unit, not too far from Brian's loft. Nodding her head, she quickly exit the room and make her way to the desk right outside.

Sitting down on her chair, she takes deep breaths to calm down. Just what was going on with Brian? Actually putting a limit to Michael access, but now allowing his other friends to interrupt him even it was possible. Then that new hour of work. Pro-bono work, Brian was never the one to work was free, but somehow Britin Manor had gotten him to do that. Then what art supplies? Brian was not an artist, just why would he need art supplies? She was now truly worried, and though she felt bad, she move her chair closer to Brian's office so she could hear if something unusual was happening inside.

*****************************

The morning passes so quickly he does not even notice. In all of his classes, all Justin did was quickly finish the final assignments or the tests of the his sophomore year then spend the rest of the time sketching. Drawing with full control of his motor skills on his right hand was so wonder and he was still on Brian-high that he drew one sketch after another of Brian, his kids, Britin, the Gang and many more. He was planning on including all these sketches, some of them turn into paintings to have a collection. But for that collection to exist, he need a studio space to work on his art.

Brian had let him know that he now owned the Tremont building so he was sketching plans for the new building as well. And as a punishment for buying him a building again, he was putting a state of the art kitchen, as well as a studio space, not to mention adding things like popcorn and ice cream makers to the list of items they will need. When lunchtime comes around, he was going to talk to Brian, but he will not mention about these additions, no he will get to be surprised tonight when they meet with the contractor and the decorator.

************************

Having spent decades surrounded by the genius of his talented artist-partner and his hand selected art department that Justin had a hand in hiring, the art department at Ryder was just pitiful and painful to watch. He must have gotten a bit soft and mellow over the years because he hardly had any energy to yell at the artists in front of him. It was not the fault of these artists that they did not have talent like Justin nor a good mentor or a program to use to help them. Hey, he may have gotten soft, but he never denied how proud he is of Justin or what a lucky son of bitch he was that Justin had chosen him.

Perhaps, those soft feelings were what made him start the conversation about what these so-called artists knew about the current art world. Those scared-as-shit faces of the art department as they tentatively answered his questions, made it worth it as he could now finalize the plan to get Justin to enter into the art world. It looks like he will need to get into touch with Portz and Anderson as soon as he could. If Sydney Bloom had any sense, he will want to display Justin's work as quickly as he can, and there was no way of that happening without an airtight contract protecting Justin's identity, the originality of his artwork or the fact that Brian knew the artist.  

***************************

He could not believe his luck, apparently Mr. Olmer, the art teacher, had to stay late grading final projects so he could use the school art studio alone as long as he stayed at the studio and did not go anywhere else in the school building. So he had picked up a 11" x 14" canvas and started to work on a painting. The painting was simple, but also complex. In a nutshell, it was an abstract of the first meeting between Brian and him, both in the past, and in this new time.

A lamp post was at the very centre of the painting, and from there in all directions were collages of different scenes. The lights of Liberty Avenue, the lobby of the hotel, a breakfast tray, champagne, the smile on Brian's face when he saw Gus and so many more. All of the images were combined to made the lamp post at the centre, then right behind it was the night sky with blue, white, purple, pink and so many other swirls. When he finish it, he cover the canvas and left it to dry while he made sketches of all the other artworks he plan to include in the selection.

The canvas will take about two hours to dry so till it was done, and Daphne came back from her debate club meeting, he will be able to make tons of sketches. As soon as possible, he wants to go back to a studio, and get started on making the collection. In the week that he plan to be in Harrisburg, he will draw his new comic. He could now take the story in any direction that he wants and he will finally be able to draw the story that he wishes to. Not the story of Rage that never grew up or improved, the way Michael wanted it. No, this time, it was Brian and his comic that will tell the story of their lives.

***************************************

Entering the loft at 6:15, Brian quickly change into his wife-beaters and jeans and order take-out before setting up the counter to get ready for the visits. Right around 6:20, his cell rings, playing "Save the last dance for me" so he picks it up to talk to Justin.  

"Hey."

"Hey"

"How was your day at school, darling?"

"A drawn-out day. How about yours, Brian dear?"

"Oh same old, same old. So nothing exciting happened to you in more than 12 hours, you must have set a record today.

"Shut it. All I did was endure the boring and useless classes. Though I have the plans for the Tremont building as well as my 40 piece collections ready. I also have a painting ready, so if my hot new agent wish to start hunting down venues for me, I have a sample ready."

"Well, you have been busy. A Justin Taylor Original. As well as plans for your new mansion."

"Speaking of the mansion, what the fuck were you thinking? Shit, you bought the entire building? What about your bank balance, you are not a millionaire yet, you have got to control your spendings, we have to pay the lawyers for your nephew's upcoming case not to mention the cost of the renovation!!! Sure we need extra space but what I said was to buy one unit next to the loft, not the entire building?"

"Justin, no need for queen-out, I have enough money and are making more than enough to keep you in style for a while yet."

"I don't care about me, I worry about you!!"

"As I said, you worrisome twat, there is no need to have anxiety about it. I am not in danger of debt. I have enough dough to buy the Tremont building and will have enough for the lawyers and the health insurance among other things."

"Forget it, there's no point arguing with you, Mr. Kinney. So did you do anything else today except buy real estate in Pittsburgh?"

"Oh just the usual, handing the shitload of work that the idiots at Ryder cannot do. I had all the locks changed in the building and have installed a keypad lock for the building entrance. The password is numeric Britin."

"And you say that you are not a romantic. A password that only the two of us  know the meaning of."

"I can be sweet on occasion. The movers will be here soon to move the furnitures as well as my wardrobe into the storage unit. I will check in tonight so that the renovations can begin as soon as possible. The money is no issue as I have got a sweet deal with Jerry that covers both renovation and interior decorating."

"Well we will talk about your spending later. But, Brian, you are not paying for it all on your own. Make me an independent consultant with Ryder, I will help with the work that art department can't do. Starting next week, I have nothing to do besides work on my art. I can eat, sleep, fuck then spend the rest of the time on my art. I can paint when I get back from Harrisburg, I will work on the comics at Harrisburg, and if I have a secure place, I will work on the accounts. Remember, you are not my sugar daddy, you are my lover, partner and my husband."

"Whatever Sunshine wants. Your work will save the lives of the art department for another day."

"Brian !!! So I have the plan for the loft in front of me, want to hear it?"

"Well, let's hear Sunshine's plans. But make it quick. The movers will be here any second, and you need to be vigilant on the bus."

"You asked for it. So we keep the elevator and the stairs where they are, just make them more secure. On the top floor, the studio is on the West side with the large windows then on the opposite side, there's a big loft with three rooms of various sizes, and the safe. The study can be in one of those rooms. The walls can be used as a display case. Basically it is a workplace and a hangout place."

"What, no bathroom?"

"There's a small one in the studio. And separate doors. I am renting that studio space, you know for the eventual status change."

"No need for anyone to know about the real arrangement. I expect you to keep the same hours as before."

"It will be a pleasure to work with under you Mr.Kinney. Now, Mr. Kinney congratulate me, I have found a solution for the invasion problem."

"Oh, is it so? Something that I could not do in more than three decades, and you expect me to believe that you solve it?"

"Well, I am a uniquely intelligent and creative person, as I am sure you will agree"

"Well you do have a talented tongue which puts others to shame."

"BRIAN!!! Can't you be.......oh forget it. Now my idea is simple. Combine all the units of the third floor into one. But in that place put a large dividing wall. In reality, behind that wall are the bedrooms, but for visitors, it will be like that the loft ends there, right next to the platform. No need to know about the bedrooms behind the wall. Therefore, we now have a public wing and private wing."

"And where did you get this wonderful idea? You don't want to keep people out, that's my area of expertise."

"Blame Gus and Jay. Apparently boys wishes for a secret room just like girls. Most of the plans, are those six's idea of "cool" that should be in a home"

"I always said that they were geniuses. Now how many bedrooms, and how much is that kitchen going to cost me?"

"Oh, how did you know about the kitchen? Do not worry, it will be big enough for us to host Thanksgiving dinner if there is a need."

"Well, it looks like I will have to make another six-figure soon or I will be put into debt because of my little woman."

"I am not the little woman. I made sure to put in a large closet to satisfy your large wardrobe."

"Thank you for finally caring about style,Sunshine. It took you long enough. So what about the two bottom floors, we can plan out the freaking duplex later."

"The first floor has six units for rent and the second floor is the shelter, with a huge dorm room set aside for boys and girls. Does it meet your approval, Mr. Kinney?"

"Oh, I can think of just hard you will have to work to get me to create your dream mansion, are you prepared for it Mr.Taylor."

"I look forward to it, it is always an honour to work under you."

"Make sure to prepare yourself well. Now, Sunshine, where do I put my equipment in this outline of yours, up in the office, next to the kitchen or in the private wing?"

"Shit, I forgot. Why don't you just put in one of the small rooms close to the study and I demand a stationary bike and a yoga ball, it is work to keep this body."

"As I have a deep interest in your little body, I will fulfill your demand. Well arrive quickly, as you have a bit of work to do before Jerry and his brother gets here. Now the movers have arrived, so later."

"Later."

************************************************

When Justin meets Jerry that night, it took a single glance for Brian to know that he was a bit surprised and confused. Jerry and most likely the rest of gay Pittsburgh had never seen a sight like Brian having a blonde twink, opposite of his usual type. The faces of surprise that he saw when they see Brian and him together, it was a nice entertainment as Brian loves to surprise people. Looking at that face full of shock, awe at Justin's beauty or confusion, gave him a nice ego boost. Then going about what he wants to do while ignoring their reactions and was one of the ways to tell others to mind their own fucking businesses.

"Evening Mr.Kinney"

"Jerry, nice to see you again. Like I said before, it's Brian to anyone with great taste."

"I see you have not changed. Brian, this here is my brother Adam, the contractor."

"Hello Adam. Please call me Brian, since you will be the one that has to work on this building till it fits my level."

"I see you are exactly like what Jerry told me. No problem, Brian I am used to unique designs."

"Good, if you are worth it, I will make sure your name is heard in the right circles."

"Brian, be nice."

"I'm always nice. Jerry, Adam, this little blonde package here is Justin, my partner who is more demanding than me so be warned."

"Seriously Brian. I'm sorry Jerry, Adam, please ignore the over-exaggerating fag next to me. I am glad that you could fit us in with such a short notice tonight, not to mention the deal that you offered. I will make sure we co-operate 100%, even this old queen next to me."

"Hey, I am not ‘old' nor am I a ‘queen', that's Honeycutt."

"Well, Brian, a polite, mannered, blonde. How your type have changed."

"I always get the best, and I got this blonde mannered princess who can also be a hot twink with a tight little ass and a talented tongue who am I to refuse such an offer, Jerry."

"Yes you hardly were the type to refuse. Oh, where are my manners? Justin it is nice to meet you, a word of advice keep your eyes on this fellow."

"A pleasure Jerry and Adam, please call me Justin."

Putting his arms over Justin's shoulder, Brian let the brothers into the now empty loft without any furniture, not even the bed as it was all in storage. He was eager to just get to the consultation part. Plus, he will only actually get to see the plans that Justin drew up when they were inside and then they could negotiate on the details.

*************************************************

No matter how many times he sees it Brian's skills in negotiating or his charm. Justin was still surprised by the end result. At the end of the hour meeting with Jerry and Adam, all the plans for the new Tremont and Fuller building was in place. Adam had a full floor plan for all four floors and had a list of materials that he will need in his hand. On the other hand, Jerry seems to have got the vision down, and was already full of ideas. Since Brian already had emptied the loft, Brian had hand over all the keys so that the crew could start their work the next morning. The locksmith will arrive after all the work is done, then he will change the locks and install the keypad.

It was great that plans for the building was set, now it was left to the experts. Now, Justin had to focus on the upcoming trip to Harrisburg as well as start to work on his various planned artworks. Brian on the other hand will do his work at Ryder, while planning for Kinnetik, and go visit Sydney with the painting that Justin had. Then it was up to Ted to go to the bank, and open the various accounts as well as look for a good realtor to represent the company. Sadly, his mom did not have her license yet, nor planned on getting one but maybe he will be able to start leaving suggestions into his conversation. Like he planned on doing with the topic of his sexuality.

But first, he was going to have a quick fuck session with his lover before being drove back home, and Brian goes to check into his one month long stay at Spring Hills.