Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Two more years, that was the mantra that constantly repeat through his head for the past week. Just two more years till he can say goodbye forever to . Two years too many but education was something that was of a necessity. He plans to spend the necessary time in this fucking institution but not a second longer than necessary. Only thing that was good for, at least at the moment, was that it was some place that he needs no excuses or give justification in order to go.

 

The past month of seeing only exemplary behaviour from him, did not relax his birth parents at all. Oh, his mother was becoming more and more relaxed, and if it was up to her, he will be back to his usual curfew of midnight and allowed sleepovers. That no sleepover rule is what prevented him from ever truly relaxing when he was with Brian. Nothing like a curfew set by a homophobic father to stop two guys from fucking each other senseless. Now, the next time that he will be able to see Brian will be at the opening night of JTK's show. Exactly two weeks from now. And today, the tickets will become available right at noon. As the bell rings to signal lunch time at St. James, he knows it was now time.

 

Let's see how many people desires that ticket to the opening night. See the pieces before it is open to the general public. Is it enough for people to spend their usual lunch hour going to an art gallery nearby and scoring a ticket?

 

Business as usual. That was exactly what Ryder was at the moment. The amount of work he had to take care of increases as it was now time to get the holiday advertisement ready. Nothing he could not handle, it was easier than before as he already knew what the client wants as well as the public. Surprisingly, Ryder had not been making an issue about the fact that Brian was singing on quite a few executive clients nor the fact that he was doing some work that was clearly not for Ryder. As long as Ryder's clients did not suffer, nor the agency's income decreased in anyway, Ryder was happy.

 

Rather than any of those advertisements, only advertisement that he was truly curious to see the results was J.T.K.'s. The tickets had went on sale five days ago, and he had waited till now to get the status update. Along with all of his other ventures. Why now? Because there was a surprise waiting for his blonde tonight and he needs those numbers for it to work.

 

"Well Brian, I can only wonder just how you got so freaking lucky," Cynthia says as she enters the room, following behind her was Ted.

 

"And just what is so amazing about me now, Cynthia, Ted." Both of them sit down in chairs across his desk. "No matter I'm sure I can guess. Now, time for numbers, Ted's favorite thing in the word besides porn."

 

"Shut up, Brian."

 

"Brian, do you want the numbers for JTK or Britin?"

 

"Which one do you think, Cynthia?"

 

"Britin it is. Ted, the floor is yours."

 

"Ok, first, your tax papers are going to need a lot more revision this coming year, not to mention the tax reductions that you can apply for."

 

"The numbers, Theodore."

 

"Right. First, I talked to a couple of banks with the tentative client list that you have right now and all of them are eager to take out a loan for Kinnetik. I am going to be comparing interest rates, so far all of them had been reasonable but I think having a couple more clients will help to raise the loan value or finding an official space for the company, either one will help. But based on what I can think of, you can open shop virtually anytime you want."

 

"Good, keep that fact absolutely quiet. Kinnetik will open the week after I walk out of this building. In the meantime, Cynthia start to work on the human aspect of things, you know the amount of employees we will need, their qualifications and so forth. But so far from what I think it will be at least a year or so before I go solo. Now, what about my building?"

 

"Well, I finally found an experienced realtor that works with a firm that has property management division. Here's the details. As soon as you approve, I will meet with her then talk. Get the property management contract with them, and then I will let her put the listings for the six apartments."

 

"Make sure that all potential renters know the rules, I will get that printed out for you, also a criminal background check. The floor right above them will be the youth shelter. I need all of them to be alright with children, heck I will prefer if their job has something to do with kids. Then it will be easier for them to accept the shelter. Ah, Barbara. I know her she is an acquaintance of Mother Taylor so we can trust her and her company. Go ahead and set that meeting up with her. There is no rush on getting the tenants. They just have to be good people who are not homophobic or have anything against children of all ages. Now, how's permits and permissions going for the shelter?"

 

"Well, from the city's point of view, if you want to run a shelter, it is your choice. So there isn't much of permits needed just things like is it a sound building and so forth. The Children's Services are of course more cautious. I convinces them that it is a good idea, and that we will like it if the shelter can be considered as a temporary foster home for children. Verbally everything is good to go, now only thing left is for them to the site inspection as well as couple of surprise visits before they start allowing kids to be placed there. In this file, I got resumes for child-care workers, the teachers capable of teaching all grades and so forth. We need to hire them soon so that the shelter is up and running. But how are we getting the word out?"

 

"Exactly what I am going to do." He opens his drawer and takes out a full envelope before passing it on to Ted. "That right there are flyers telling people all about the shelter, its location and how to get in and so forth. Tell Deb all about it, she will have PFLAG out in the streets handing out flyers in no time, not to mention fill in the position of volunteers. Cynthia and I will start to get our clients interested in donation, especially the one that wants to improve their public image. Those men will cough out a lot of money to get their image to look really good for the public. Now, Cynthia. JTK's ticket sale, and how is that surprise that I arranged, is everything on time?"

 

"Everything is going smoothly for the surprise. The ticket sale, in one word, it is a bidding war. I'm telling you this Brian, never let your blonde go because the way he is making waves, it is not going to be long before New York comes calling him. The VVIP tickets that you have reserved is of course safe and on its way to be delivered tomorrow. I got an email from CMU's gallery manager that they were hoping that they could increase the number of tickets available, it seems like the tickets have sold out already. And since we only put 50 VIP tickets out, it was snatched up quickly. From the look of it, men are trying to score a ticket to impress their ladies. That's why they wish to have 100 general tickets ready for the opening night on a first-come first-serve basis."

 

"Tell the gallery manager, increase the ticket numbers but make 10 exclusive tickets hidden inside the general tickets. Those people will have the pleasure of being included in the VIP group, Also prepare a ballot with let's say five winners. Each winner will get their prizes. Remind the gallery manager that he has a meeting with JTK's representatives this weekend to go over all the details of the event one last time."

 

It was a weird day. At , Mr. Olmer, the art teacher had been excited. More than excited. So he had asked. Imagine his surprise when the teacher said, that those it was a bit of a struggle, he had managed to persuade someone to have a colour slide of an upcoming artist's piece in their class.

 

When the slide had shown "Light" he was stunned. A painting that he had done, that painting was going to be the piece of art critique live debate. Shit. He had an unfair advantage of knowing exactly what techniques, style and the feelings that was displayed on "Light" but he had no way of actually saying those without getting any suspicion. It looks like he had to pretend to struggle at least a bit or look like he was working hard in order to avoid suspicion. And he will actually get to hear his art piece being critiqued in front of him.

 

Then later in a meeting with the art club, all of his fellow artists were quite literally jumping around in excitement. Why? Apparently one of his classmates, Jesse, had managed to get his hand on a VIP pass to the opening night of JTK's show. And the ticket said that guests up to 3 were welcome. And Jesse was now the center of attention, everyone wanting it to be them that Jesse take to the show. It was also here in the art club that he first heard that there will now be a ballot at the opening night, or that they were 100 extra tickets being sold at the price of a general admission ticket starting Monday and in those 100 tickets, apparently there will be 10 exclusive tickets hidden. So these kids were getting ready to make arrangements for them to be at CMU on Monday in time for the ticket sale exactly an hour after school is finish that day. Once again, weird to actually kids who were physically the same age as him so excited to see his artwork.

 

Still feeling weird but also thinking about the fact that he will have a few words with his husband about keeping things that affects his art a secret. But he will not be able to talk to Brian till tonight so until then he was here in the living room of his house, with his sketchbook open, making rough sketches. Another weird thing, his father was home today, instead of at the shop.

 

Apparently, he had to close the store in the hands of his employees because he had a meeting with his tax lawyer. That look and tone that his father used, well Justin knew the truth of his parent's marriage more than his mother did. Like the fact that Craig does cheat on his mom and his favorite mistress was his tax lawyer. Since all businesses are entering their final quarter of the year, Justin knows that includes a visit with tax lawyers and accountants. But he will not reveal that fact, no, he did not want to hurt his mom. Craig on the other hand, it was hard for Justin to see him and not see all the signs that the man had not loved him like he had thought in his youth, his conditions on his love, at least for Craig's love for Justin was pretty transparent, Molly was daddy's little girl.

 

A doorbell rings, and his mom gets the door. Most likely one of the neighbours or a door-to-door salesman. But when his mom screams, he puts his sketchbook down and head towards the entrance. There his mom was smiling her version of a sunshine smile as she embraces her mother.

 

"Gramps, Grams, Grandpa," he stares at them in surprise from the hallway. How were they here? They were suppose to be in Harrisburg.

 

"Surprise for all of you, my boy. Aren't you going to hug us?" Gramps says. So that's what he does hugging his grandparents tightly. For whatever reason that they were here, maybe their presence will stop the crazy atmosphere in Taylor home.

 

"Dad," well Craig was surprised as well, and Molly scream in excitement as she runs to hug their grandparents. Grandparents meant gifts and more fun activities.

 

Later, as they all sit down for an early dinner, his grandparents told them all about it. Well, more like Grams did while his grandfathers pitch in a couple of details.

 

"You know Jenny that the only reason all of us went into a retirement home was because we want to not take care of that huge house of ours anymore. At least that's what we thought but I do miss being around children, not to mention cooking. Robert and Greg misses the Pittsburgh businessmen and lawyer meetings and so forth. Quite frankly we were getting restless. But them, we heard about this great offer. One of the retirement community resident's grandchild's lover is thinking of starting up a youth shelter here in the city and was looking for volunteers. The bonus is that if you get employed by them, you get first refusal on one of the apartments in the building where the shelter is. So I called them on a whim, just thinking of introducing myself but that lover is so charming, a wonderful man in my opinion. Just over the phone, well I got hired."

 

"Hired, Mother? Over the phone, are you sure they are legitimate?"

 

"Don't worry Jenny, I spoke to the fellow as well as couple of people I know at the town hall. Your mother got a position at that shelter. Doing what she loves, taking care of children of all ages and cooking for them."

 

"Then when I told him about Robert and Greg well he says that there can be never enough people around children, so they got hired as well."

 

"A retired businessman getting hired to help out with children, well it was one of those truly surprising moments in my life."

 

"So Marianne, you accepted the job offer and you guys are now moving back to Pittsburgh?"

 

"That's right, Craig dear. Well we are going to go over there, tomorrow to check things around and if everything is good. Then we will move into one of those apartments. Jenny do you want to go with us? What about all of you?"

 

"Grams," he says taking the opportunity to get out, "I will love to go but I actually have this critique assignment that I need to work on with my art club members. So is it ok, if I go there then I meet you guys over there?" He made sure to send pleading looks to his mom so that she will accept and he can finally be out of this Taylor house and actually meet up with Brian in person.

 

"I don't see why he can't Jenny, Craig. I will let you know the address, I'm sure one of your friends can drop you off. Right, Justin?"

 

With a huge smile on his face, he replies back to his Grams.

 

"Of course, Grams. It will be awesome to have all of you here in Pittsburgh. Don't be surprised if I make frequent stops to eat your cooking Grams."

 

"You don't like my cooking, Justin?"

 

"I love your cooking Mom, but I can always eat more."

 

He got all the hidden details behind his grandparent's move alright. Now, whether to reward Brian or punish Mr. Kinney for keeping secrets, well he will decide that later. For now, he will send a quick text to his husband to pick him up tomorrow morning. Knowing his parents will be distracted by his grandparents, he will be able to spend a significant amount of time together with them.

 

In the end, he could not avoid it. This conversation he needs to have with his mother. But there was no point in delaying it either. Better to get it over with.

 

"Mom," sitting in the kitchen of the site of his childhood hell, what a perfect place to have this conversation. "I'm gay, Mom."

 

"Brian," the look on her face as she turns to face him, it was obvious that she thought it was a dream, that he was joking. He simply stands up from the chair and now faces her straight in the eye.

 

"I'm a fag, Mom. I like men. And I have liked them as long as I knew. No threats of burning hellfires or eternal damnation is going to change that fact. Nor the fact that I fucked hundreds of guys already."

 

"You…" Her face. There it was the look of disgust, just like he expect it but why does it still hurt? Because his abusive father did not react badly to his sexuality this time around, and now was able to even say it out loud to others. But his mom, Joan did not look like she will ever accept it. "You are heading to hell. Do not come here again, until you have been cleansed and have repented your sin. Till the devil is out of your body."

 

"Then it is going to take an eternity till I step foot in this house again." With that he makes his way out of the kitchen.

 

"Thank goodness, your sister or your father does not know about this." Looks like he is once again going to break Joan's beliefs.

 

"Claire have known about it for years. And as to my father Jack, I told him a while ago, and he did not tell me to die rather he has learnt to accept it." With that parting shot, he makes his way outside the Kinney residence. Now to pick up Justin for their day together.