Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Holiday Happenings

This story is a sequel to “Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad”. You don’t have to read that story first but this story will make more sense if you do.
Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian’s nephews. This is how they I think they would celebrate fall & winter holidays.
I don’t own the characters just the situations.

Chapter 8

Justin walked into the ER and spotted Brian sitting in the waiting area with a glum expression on his face. Brian looked up as Justin hurried toward him and was rewarded with a sunshine smile from his partner. Brian stood and pulled Justin into a hug.

“Ted?”

Justin chuckled before he answered.

“Cynthia.”

Brian gave Justin a quick kiss and they settled back into the uncomfortable hard plastic chairs. Justin put his arm around Brian’s shoulders.

“Have you heard anything about Joan’s condition?”

“Nope. The paramedics at the house said they thought she had a broken collarbone. I have no idea what they do to fix that.”

“Usually they just immobilize the arm effected with a sling. They could also strap that arm to the chest. The collarbone or clavicle will heal on its own in a few months.”

Brian chuckled.

“Thanks for the public service announcement Sunshine. I can always depend on you for useful, if obscure, information.”

“That is just one of the reasons you soooo adore me.”

Brian just shook his head but didn’t disagree. Justin singlehandedly kept up a stream on conversation. He told Brian about the board meeting, the new sculpture show, the crayons and coloring books he wanted the JB Foundation to buy for the Hills district daycare.

Brian found the steady stream of words oddly comforting. He used to tell Justin how annoying it was when he talked nonstop. Brian believed that was true until Justin wasn’t around and he found the quiet disconcerting. Today sitting in this uncomfortable chair and waiting to deal with his extremely annoying mother he felt oddly contented and had a faint smile on his face as he occasionally grunted in response to something Justin said.

Justin was constantly trying to think of innocuous topics of conversation to distract Brian from the annoyance of dealing with Joan Kinney. Justin was just starting to feel a little panicked when a doctor emerged from the treatment area.

The doctor stopped at the reception desk. Justin saw the receptionist point towards him and Brian. The doctor walked over to where they were sitting.

“Mr Kinney?”

Brian and Justin stood up.

“I’m Brian Kinney and this is my partner Justin Taylor.”

The doctor shook Brian’s hand and smiled at Justin.

“Your Mother wasn’t sure if you would still be here or not.”

Brian smiled.

“Then you understand that we are not close. Unfortunately there is no one really close to Joan or I would have been out of here.”

“I’m Dr Galati. I’ve been treating your mother. You were smart to get to her to eat something, her blood sugar was very low. We do have some concerns so we are going to keep her overnight. There are some signs of malnutrition. I know you pay for Mrs Kinney to receive Meals on Wheels but I’m not sure she is eating enough.

I want to rerun some blood tests after she has eaten some meals. There are some things I’m concerned about. I’m sorry to be so vague but Mrs Kinney was very clear about not wanting me to disclose too much about her test results.”

Justin rolled his eyes and Brian chuckled.

“She doesn’t want anyone to know that the blood tests had some liver abnormalities.”

“Is there a history of liver disease in your family?”

Brian shook his head.

“My mother is an alcoholic. I suspect that may be part of her nutrition problem. She may not eat much but I’m sure she is drinking quite a bit. She had been an alcoholic for as long as I can remember. So was my father.”

The doctor looked uncomfortable.

“I’m sorry but I don’t want to disclose any confidentiality of my patient. I believe the paramedics told you they thought your mother’s collarbone was broken and they were correct. There isn’t much we can do for that injury except immobilize her arm.”

Brian glanced at Justin who smirked. Dr Galati wasn’t sure what that was all about but he continued.

“Mrs Kinney is not really going to be able to manage on her own. My understanding is that she lives alone. Is there a family member or a friend who would be available to help her?”

Brian shook his head. “Nope.”

“I know she slipped in the bath tub but is there another bathroom that has a walk in shower?”

“Nope.”

“Is there at least a powder room on the first floor of her home so she won’t have to deal with going up and down the stairs?”

“Three strikes Doc.”

Justin chimed in.

“What about Joan going to a nursing home until she can be on her own?”

The doctor shrugged.

“That’s an option. I’m not sure if her insurance will cover it. Her condition really doesn’t warrant nursing care.”

Justin nodded.

“Well we can afford to pay if insurance doesn’t cover it. What do you think Brian?”

“Maybe we can hire someone to stay with her at home?”

“That could be a better option. If you want to come back and see your mother before she goes up to her room than you could talk to our social services department. They may have some recommendations for in home care.”

Brian shook his head.

“I have no burning desire to see Joan and I can’t imagine she is anxious to see me. We’ll go see your social services. You can let Joan know that. I’ll check with her before we leave the hospital. When she gets transferred to a room could you let us know?”

The doctor told them social services was located on the second floor and said he would let them know Joan’s room number when she got moved.

When they walked in to the social services office a young woman at a desk looked up with a smile. Justin was surprised to see the smile change to a shocked expression. Brian chuckled before putting a big insincere smile on his face as he walked toward the social worker.

“Hello! We meet again.”

“Yes. Hello Mr Kinney.”

Brian glanced down at the name plate on her desk. He turned toward Justin.

“Justin, this is Marilu. We met when I brought the boys to see Claire after she took the header in the bathroom at Joan’s house. Marilu and Joan bonded during that visit.

They bonded over their shared belief that us two faggots were a danger to John and Peter. I guess the two of them agreed that homosexual and pedophile are synonymous terms.”

Justin just looked at Marilu.

“I don’t really think that is accurate Mr Kinney. I was misled by your mother but I am not a homophobic person.”

“I beg to differ. You bought in to Joan’s story hook, line and sinker without any proof. You are one of those self-righteous heteros who maintain the have no prejudice against gay people but are the quickest to believe any vile accusation from another hetero. Today is your lucky day. You get the chance to help your buddy, Joan Kinney.”

*************************************************************************************

That same morning Ted met Emmett for breakfast at the diner after he dropped Nina, Gus & JR at school. Now that Melanie and the kids were living in their new home Ted took over morning school delivery for Gus & JR along with Nina.

Debbie made time during the breakfast rush to come over and sit with Ted to sign some forms so he could take care of paying off her mortgage. Ted explained that she was signing a power of attorney only for the mortgage company. Cynthia would notarize it when he got to the office.

Emmett was very excited for Debbie. He knew how hard she worked and how tired she sometimes was by the time she got home.

“So Deb; what are you going to do with your extra money now that you won’t have to pay a mortgage.”

Debbie smiled.

“I fucking hope that now I can start to put some money away for my retirement. Carl couldn’t believe it when I told him that Brian and Sunshine were doing this for me. I told him they are fucking awesome. I just hope they aren’t leaving themselves short with two new babies coming.”

Ted took her hand.

“Deb I can assure you they’ll have the money to take care of those babies. I know they are happy to be able to do this for you.”

Debbie took a napkin and wiped her eyes.

“Well I need to get back to work. Do you have everything you need?”

Ted nodded and Debbie left the booth.

Emmett smiled across the booth at his friend.

“Debbie is so thrilled about her mortgage being paid off. Carl is buying her a new stove as a congratulation gift. It is being installed today. He bought a top of the line model. Debbie is going to be thrilled.”

“Hey Em, that gives me an idea for a Christmas gift for Debbie. Want to go in with Blake and me. We could get her new countertops and facelifter cabinet doors and drawer fronts.”

“Oh Teddy that sounds like a wonderful idea. I still have a key so I can let them in to measure some day when we know Deb is working. Deb so deserves this and she will be over the moon.”

While the friends were plotting Michael came into the diner. He spotted Ted and Emmett and walked over to their booth. He slid in beside Emmett. Ted gathered the papers Debbie has signed and put them in an envelope.

Michael saw his mother’s name and signature on one of the forms.

“What are those papers Ted?”

“Just some forms Debbie had to sign so I can take care of paying off her mortgage.”

Michael just nodded and Ted said he had to get to the office. When Ted left, Michael switched to the other side of the booth. Debbie came over to take her son’s breakfast order.

“Ma I hope you were careful about what you signed for Ted. Remember what happened when Lindsay and Mel let him invest their money.”

Emmett was incensed.

“Michael! That was a long time ago and they didn’t lose any money.”

“They didn’t lose any because you bailed out Ted.”

Debbie just shook her head at her son.

“Michael if Brian and Justin trust him to handle their millions I’m sure I can trust him as well.”

Michael grunted.

“Well Brian’s millions.”

Debbie gave her son one of her signature head slaps.

“Michael you need to fucking get over this jealousy of Sunshine. I think it is getting worse. He makes plenty of money with his art because he is a fucking genius and he helps Brian at Kinnetik.”

Michael just shrugged. Emmett gathered his belongings.

“Well I need to be on my way I have an appointment.”

He gave Deb a quick kiss on the cheek and left.

When Debbie returned with Michael’s breakfast the rush had slowed so she sat with him.

“Michael, I’m concerned about your store. A couple guys told me yesterday that you never opened the store. How are you going to make money if you don’t even open for business?”

“Ma I worked from home on internet stuff. It is too expensive to have internet access at the store and I do a lot of business on line. I used to be able to use the wifi from the apartment above the store but those people put a password on their network and now I can’t use it.”

“If you make money from internet sales I don’t understand why you can’t pay to have it at the store?”

“I have to budget. Business hasn’t been that great. Working from home I have the internet and use less electricity at the store. The electric bill is really high at the store. Do you think you could give me a little help with the electric bill?”

Debbie just looked sad.

“No! I’ve made up my mind I have to stop giving you money. I need to plan for my retirement. I want to be able to enjoy retirement with Carl. I’ve let saving money go for too long.”

“But Ma; Carl will have his pension and now you won’t have any mortgage to pay. You should have enough money to get along. I really need some help with the store expenses.”

Debbie shook her head.

“No Michael! If the comic book store isn’t making enough money to pay your expenses it may be time to close it down and find a job that will pay you a steady salary. It is not fair for you to depend on me for money. I need to get back to work.”

Michael frowned as he finished his breakfast. His electric bill and rent were both overdue and the landlord was really on the warpath. Michael had sent him an email offering to work out a payment plan to make up the back rent. He hoped to hear from the landlord today.

There have been some amazing items up for sale on line. Michael knew they would be worth much more in a couple years and he just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to buy them. That was why he has stayed home yesterday. He had to be on line to monitor the bidding on the items he wanted to buy.

A disappointed Michael left the diner and walked down Liberty Avenue to his comic book store. He saw his landlord standing in front of the store. He thought about turning around and going back to the diner but the landlord spotted him.

When Michael reached the store he was surprised to see new padlocks on the security gates that closed over the door and windows.

“Why are there new locks? Did someone break into the store?”

“NO! The locks are to keep you out. I warned you about paying your rent. I sent you a certified letter saying you had until today to bring the rent up to date. You haven’t done that so I am seizing the store and its contents.”

Michael was wide eyed.

“I sent you an email saying we could work out a payment plan. Didn’t you get my email?”

“Mr Novotny each month new rest is due. You haven’t paid the current rent. How could we have a payment plan? You would have to pay the current rent plus an additional amount to make up for what you own me. A payment plan makes no sense!”

Now Michael was starting to panic.

“I own what’s in the store. There are some valuable things in there. I could let you hold those until business improves and I can pay the back rent.”

“I have the legal right to sell the contents of the store to get my back rent. If you really have something of value you should have sold that to pay your rent. I’ve tried to give you the leeway to pay me the money you owe me.

You have done nothing to try and pay me that money. Now I need to look out for myself. If you pay me what you owe me I’ll let you clean the store out. Otherwise I’ll sell the contents to get my money.”

Michael started to panic.

“I’ll have to see if I can borrow the money to pay you. Don’t sell anything! I’ll get you your money somehow.”

The landlord shook his head.

“I have some coming on Friday morning to give me a price on what’s inside. You have until close of business tomorrow to get me my money. I need cash or a cashier check! By the way the back door is padlocked as well so you can’t get in that way.”

The landlord walked away leaving Michael standing alone on the sidewalk. He noticed the woman who worked at adult gift shop next to the comic book store looking out the window at him. Michael decided to ask Brian to lend him the money he needed for the rent. He hurried around the corner to the bus stop.

At Kinnetik Michael rushed past the receptionist. She recognized him and quickly buzzed Carole to let her know he was on the way. When Michael arrived at Carole’s desk she looked up at him with a frown.

“Brian isn’t here Michael.”

“Where is he?”

Carole let out a long breath in exasperation.

“He and Justin are at Allegheny General. Someone from Joan Kinney’s church called this morning to say she hadn’t been at morning Mass for a few days. Brian went over to her house and found out she had fallen and broken her collarbone. An ambulance took her to the hospital. Justin met Brian at the ER.”

Michael sighed.

“Why would Brian get involved with Joan’s issues? He doesn’t care what happens to her.”

“She is his mother and there is no one else to deal with her.”

“Do you know when he will be back? Or can you call him on his cell and find out.”

“Brian has his cell phone off while he is in the hospital. He called to let me know what was happening. He didn’t know when or if he would back in the office today.”

Carole sat down at her desk and studiously ignore Michael. Meanwhile Michael worked on a new plan.

“Tell me how to get to Ted’s office. I need to talk with him since Brian isn’t here.”

With an exaggerated sigh Carole stood up again.

“I’ll walk you over to accounting. You can’t just wander around the building. You should have a visitor badge but you didn’t stop and get one at reception.”

“I’m Brian’s best friend. He doesn’t expect me to have a visitor badge. I’ll bet when Justin comes here you don’t make him get a visitor badge.”

Carole just shook her head. She could not understand how this annoying little man could be friends with Brian.

“Why would Justin need a visitor badge? He is one of the owners of Kinnetik. Justin, Brian, Cynthia and Ted have badges that can access any area of the building. They are the only one with those badges.”

Michael frowned but said nothing. Carole said to follow her and she led the way to the accounting area. Ted’s office door was open so Carole gave a quick knock on the door frame and Ted looked up.

Ted’s initial smile disappeared when he saw Michael behind Carole. Carole shrugged.

“As you know Brian isn’t here so Michael asked to see you. He doesn’t have a visitor badge so you’ll need to escort him out of the building when your meeting is over.”

Ted nodded and Carole left, shutting the office door behind her. Michael sat in one of the visitor chairs facing Ted’s desk.

“I have a big problem and I need Brian to loan me some money.”

Ted sat back in his chair.

“What’s the big problem?”

Michael hesitated for a moment but knew he had to tell Ted the truth.

“I’ve gotten a little behind in the rent at my store. The landlord has padlocked the store and won’t let me get any of my belongings. He said he is going to sell everything to get the money to pay what I owe him. Some of my collectables are valuable. I need to be able to get them!”

“Did the landlord notify you about this? How far behind in the rent are you?”

“I don’t want to get into all that. I just need the money before the landlord sells my stuff!”

Ted eyebrows shot up.

“How much do you need?”

“Just a little under six thousand dollars.”

“That’s quite a bit of money. When do you think you’d be able to pay it back?”

Michael chuckled.

“Brian won’t expect me to pay it back. It’s not like he needs the money.”

“Michael if you are looking for a handout why call it a loan? I can’t get in touch with Brian while he is at the hospital. When I hear from him I’ll tell him what you want and have him call you.”

“But I need the money now. I know Bran will give it to me so can’t you just call the bank and tell them to give me a cashier check?”

Ted shook his head.

“I can’t give you any of Brian or Justin’s money without getting their okay first.”

“I guess your job isn’t as important as you always claim. You always say Brian trusts you but I guess not enough to give you access to any actual money.”

“Michael I can only assume you are trying to alienate every friend you once had. I have the authority to access cash but I would never do that without getting permission first. THAT is why they trust me!”

Ted got up from his chair, took Michael by the arm and escorted him to the main entrance.

Out on the street Michael suddenly remembered that he and Ben had a joint account at the credit union. Ben’s pay was directly deposited into the account and occasionally, when business had been very good, Michael gave him some money to deposit in the joint account.

Michael took a bus back to Liberty Avenue was headed for the credit union office. He checked on the balance and was delighted to find out there was more than enough for his rent payment. He signed a withdrawal slip and asked for a cashier check made payable to his landlord.

When the bank teller went to the manager to get the check signed he walked over to where Michael was standing.

“Hi Michael. You don’t usually transact any business on this account. Does Ben know you are withdrawing all this money?”

“I don’t think that is any of your business. It’s a joint account. I have the right to withdraw whatever I want from the account.”

The manager apologized and went back to his desk to sign the check. Whatever he said to the teller made her smile. Michael was annoyed but just anxious to get this check to his landlord.

When he got to the landlord’s office he was surprised by the man’s reaction to the check.

“So you had the money to pay the rent all along! You just didn’t want to part with it. Fine! I’ll have my padlocks taken off. You better get new locks for the front gates. I am canceling your lease. You have thirty days to clear your crap out of the store.”

“But I paid your rent. Why do I have to leave my store?”

“The lease reverted to month to month quite a while ago. I am sick of dealing with you and your late rentals payments.”

Michael was disappointed but at least he could stay in the store for the Christmas season. Maybe he could find a better location. He just shrugged and walked out of the office greatly relieved that he had saved his action figures and comics.

*************************************************************************************

Meanwhile at Allegheny General, Marilu, the social worker, was more than earning her salary dealing with a caustic Brian and an amused Justin.

Marilu actually had beads of sweat breaking out on her forehead as she dealt with Brian. Finally they were able to come up with a plan that suited Brian.

Someone would come each morning to help Joan get washed and dressed. They would make her breakfast and drop her off at Good Shepherd’s Senior Daycare. When Marilu called to arrange the daycare the parish secretary wasn’t sure the daycare could accommodate another senior. When Marilu mentioned the name Kinney all difficulties melted away.

When Marilu mentioned that to Brian he told her, with a serious expression on his face, that Joan was a very popular parishioner at Good Shepherd and involved in all the parish activities. He said that his mother was considered a “saint” by most people at the parish.

Justin burst out laughing and Marilu just looked confused.

A second caregiver would pick up Joan in the afternoon, take her home and make her dinner. They would make sure Joan was ready for bed before leaving. Marilu also canceled Joan’s Meals on Wheels for the period of her convalescence. Just as they were finishing up Marilu got a call with Joan’s room number.

Brian got up and walked out of the office. Justin thanked Marilu for her help before joining Brian in the hall. Marilu could hear Justin chuckling as the two men walked towards the elevators.