Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Holiday Happenings

This story is a sequel to “Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad”. You don’t have to read that story first but this story will make more sense if you do.
Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian’s nephews. This is how they I think they would celebrate fall & winter holidays.
I don’t own the characters just the situations.

Chapter 7

Alice and Debbie raced over to Jennifer and hugged her. Jennifer had a big smile or her face and tears running down her cheeks.

Jennifer looked at Alice.

“Well now we know what was going on with our boys!”

Alice laughed and nodded her head. Debbie turned towards the two women.

“So you two didn’t know about the babies until today.”

Alice shook her head and Jennifer took Debbie’s hand.

“I could never have kept this secret. Alice and I knew that something was going on but I don’t think either one of us could have guessed this!”

Daphne and Molly rushed to Justin and would have knocked him over without Brian supporting him. Both young women had tears in their eyes as they congratulated both Justin and Brian.

Daphne punished Justin in the arm.

“How could you keep this a secret from me!”

Justin laughed and hugged his best friend, except for Brian.

“You are the reason we made the announcement today. Once I found out you were coming home this weekend I knew I wouldn’t be able to keep the babies a secret. My mother would have killed me if she wasn’t one of the first to know!”

Molly laughingly agreed with that statement.

There was a crowd around Justin and Brian all anxious to offer their congratulations to them. Michael walked over to where Melanie and Lindsay stood with Ted and Blake.

“Ted you didn’t look too surprised by the big announcement.”

“I’ve known about Brian and Justin’s plans for a while. It’s hard to keep secrets from the guy who takes care of your money.”

Michael smirked.

“So Blake I guess you knew all about this too.”

Blake just slowly shook his head as he stared at Michael.

“Teddy would never betray the trust that Brian and Justin place in him. Of course he didn’t tell me about their plans to expand their family.”

Michael shrugged.

“Well Ted I guess you are pretty clearly under Brian’s thumb. I would be upset if Ben’s job was more important to him than me.”

Melanie gasped.

“Michael!”

Blake chuckled.

“Ted doing his job ethically and efficiently has nothing to do with our relationship. I know how much Teddy and I mean to each other and I’m proud of him for lots of reason but one is how outstanding he is at his job. Brian and Justin are not only Teddy’s employers but they are also very good friends to both of us.

It’s a pity that you can’t be a better friend to the people who have been in your life for such a long time. Instead of being happy and proud of the people you know, you always want to put them down. You seem to me to be so full of bitterness and jealousy that you are likely to wind up alone and unhappy. I’ve suggested counseling to you before but it falls on deaf ears.”

Melanie quietly agreed.

“Sadly that seems to be true. I’m not sure what’s happening to you Michael. Come on Linds, we need to congratulate Brian and Justin.”

Ted and Blake walked away with the women leaving Michael standing alone.

Kevin carefully explained to his parents and older brother that Uncle Justin said babies required a lot of care & attention. He told them that he and Gus were going to help take care of the babies. His audience smiled at how delighted and proud Kevin was to play such an important role in the new babies’ lives.

Kevin explained that the new twins would be Gus’s brothers or sisters and they would be Kevin’s cousins. While Greg and Roxanne smiled at their son they both silently thanked god for bringing Brian & Justin and their family into their lives.

In a short time the Kinney-Taylors had impacted them in amazingly positive ways. Greg now had a job that challenged him and rewarded him financially. Patrick had a good friend and a private soccer coach who had improved his skills. Kevin had a best friend who inspired him to do his best, two uncles who accepted him without reservations and a Grandmom who doted on him. Roxanne’s stress level was vastly decreased and that had a positive effect on her marriage.

The O’Brien family all had one of the best Thanksgivings any of them could remember. Greg and Roxanne both thought how appropriate it was that they should celebrate Thanksgiving in this house.

Once Alice and Charlie had congratulated Brian and Justin they organized their children and the children’s spouses into serving dessert. Coffee was prepared, tea was brewed and apple cider was poured. Pies, pumpkin bread and Mrs Chander’s cake were cut and placed on dessert plates.

Melanie and Lindsay walked up to Brian and Justin. Melanie gave Justin a hug.

“Congratulations you two. Twins are going to be a big adventure for you. Linds is kind of tired so we are going to head out. Thanks for the great day.”

Lindsay smiled.

“Justin, I know Gus and JR are really excited about the murals you are going to paint in their rooms. I would love to help you with those murals if that’s possible?”

Both Justin and Brian were shocked. Brian answered first.

“Linds, this is really Justin’s thing. He and the kids have been planning their murals for a while. I’m sure there is something else you could work on at the house.”

Justin smiled at Lindsay and remembered the good times they had shared in the past and the horrible behavior of her mother and Ron Peterson.

“Brian I can speak for myself! You have a bad habit of forgetting that fact. Linds I think it would be great to work on the murals together. I think that would make them even more meaningful for Gus and JR.

When you and Mel have an idea about when you will be spending time at the house we can work out a schedule. You two should look over the dessert and take something with you.“

Lindsay gave Justin a big hug and a kiss on the cheek.

“Thank you so much. I’m really looking forward to working on the murals with you!”

Ben was sitting and chatting with Hunter while Hunter ate a piece of pumpkin pie, a slice of cake and several homemade cookies. Ben watched Michael’s exchange with Ted & Blake. He was too far away to hear what was being said but he could see the annoyance on Ted & Blake’s faces.

Ben made his way over to his husband while Hunter went to get another piece of pie.

Ben put his arm around Michael’s waist.

“What were you walking about with Ted and Blake?”

“I told Ted be didn’t look too surprised by Justin’s big announcement. Ted said he’s known for a while because Justin needed money to make this happen. I wonder if Brian even knew what the money was being used for.

Anyway I said to Blake that he must have known too. Blake said Ted didn’t tell him. I said Ted must really be under Brian’s thumb to keep secrets from his partner. I guess they didn’t like me pointing that out. They got all huffy!”

Ben stared at Michael.

“Why would you say that? Ted handles confidential matters for Brian and Justin, that is his job! Of course he couldn’t betray their trust.”

Michael shrugged.

“It can’t be much of a partnership when you keep secrets from each other. Ted just likes having a younger guy depending on him. I would never keep a secret from you.”

“Michael I don’t understand you. Keeping a confidence for someone who trusts you is not keeping secrets. Students often confide in me and I would never tell anyone what they talked to me about.”

“That’s not the same thing.”

Ben shook his head.

“We’ll discuss this later. No one is talking to Brian and Justin right now. We need to go up and congratulate them.”

Michael frowned but followed Ben over to where Justin and Brian were standing. Someone had brought Justin a piece of pie and he had just feed a bite of pie to Brian when Ben and Michael walked up to them. Brian and Justin were looking at each other smiling.

Ben smiled at them.

“Hey you guys! We just wanted to congratulate you. Twins! That’s amazing. You two are going to be really busy in a few months.”

Brian shook Ben’s hand.

Michael stared at Justin.

“Congratulations Justin. Brian’s money gets you what you just what you want again.”

Ben’s eyes opened wide as he turned to look at Michael. Justin opened his mouth to reply but Brian spoke first.

“Mikey, I’m surprised. I thought you and the professor here had a better relationship, were more like true partners. Justin and I don’t think of anything as mine or his. Everything we have is ours! I guess you can’t understand that level of commitment.”

Brian pulled Justin close to him.

“I hope someday you and Ben can feel as close as Justin and I do. You just have to keep working at it.”

Michael was shocked by what Brian was saying to him.

“Ben and I are married! We are true partners!”

Brian had a puzzled look on his face.

“Oh. Then why can’t you understand Justin and my relationship. We are both excited about the twins. The first sonogram, when we found out about two babies, was amazing!”

“Why would you go to the sonogram? You never went with Lindsay to any of her doctor appointments.”

“The munchers didn’t want me there. It’s different this time these are our children. Of course WE are going to all the doctors’ appointments. That is what partners do.
Try and concentrate very hard and understand that Justin and I are partners. We love each other and we are going to spend the rest of our lives together. You need to understand that or I’m afraid you can’t be part of our lives going forward.”

Michael just stood there too shocked to say anything.

Brian turned to Justin, gave him a kiss and suggested they go check out the other desserts before they were all gone. Ben walked back to sit with Hunter and Michael stood there alone, too stunned to move.

Eventually people started to leave. Brian who hated the whole good bye, thanks for coming ritual managed to escape. When anyone asked where Brian was Justin would shrug and say “he’s hiding somewhere, he’ll show up eventually.”

Jennifer and Tucker were the last to leave. Brian reappeared to say good bye to them. Justin gave him an exasperated look, he felt like he had to even though he didn’t really object to Brian’s disappearing act.

Brian smirked at Justin who could not resist smiling back at him. Jennifer gathered them both into a hug.

“Thank you both for such a lovely day. The announcement of the addition to our family could not have made me happier. Sorry Brian for being emotional, but I love you both so much.”

Jennifer gave them each a kiss on the check which left Brian’s face red with embarrassment. John, Peter and Gus also got a kiss goodbye as Tucker shook Justin & Brian’s hands and thanked them for hosting Thanksgiving.

Gus had a busy day and was just about asleep on his feet. Brian grabbed him and threw him over his shoulder. He carried a giggling Gus upstairs. Brian decided they should skip the bath tonight so Gus just got changed into his PJ’s. Brian tucked him into bed and gave him a kiss good night.

By the time Justin came upstairs to see if Gus wanted a bedtime story the little boy was already sound asleep. Justin joined Brian standing in the bedroom doorway. They stood and watched Gus for a few seconds.

Brian looked down at Justin.

“We need to talk Sunshine.”

Justin just smiled and took Brian’s hand as they walked to their bedroom. He went over and sat on the bed still smiling. He looked over at Brian with his annoyed face.

“Am I in trouble Daddy?”

“Not funny Justin. I can’t believe you agreed to let Lindsay work with you on the kids’ murals. It is such a bad idea!”

Justin still smiled.

“Brian. How could I say no? She is their mother and it is their house. I think it may be a good chance for Lindsay and me to clear the air. She has had a rough time, I am not about to contribute to that by excluding her from helping me paint the murals.”

“I don’t like it!”

“Then you shouldn’t get involved with painting the murals. What you should do is get that grumpy expression off your face and come over here. I’ll give you something to be thankful for to top off our Thanksgiving celebration.”

Brian’s grumpy expression evaporated as Justin started to remove his clothes. He hurried across the room dropping his own clothes as he went. Brian still wasn’t happy about Lindsay helping with the murals but he knew there was no way he could make his stubborn partner change his mind.

The Taylor Kinney household had a quiet long holiday weekend. There was plenty of food left over but by Saturday night everyone was tired of leftovers and pizza was ordered. Gus was excited to go home on Sunday to send the day with both his Moms and his sister.

The Wednesday after Thanksgiving Brian was at his desk doing some research on a prospective client for Kinnetik. Carole buzzed him to let him know that the secretary from Good Shepherd parish was on the phone asking to talk with Brian.

Brian sighed as he picked up his phone and said hello.

“Hello Mr Kinney. Father Bolton asked me to give you a call. Your mother has not been at morning mass since Sunday. That is unusual for her. Another of our morning mass regulars went by Mrs Kinney’s house yesterday afternoon. She said that there appeared to be a couple days’ worth of mail on the porch floor. Also her car was parked in the driveway.

We wondered if you knew if perhaps your mother was away or if you have been on contact with her. We thought she might have spent Thanksgiving with you and stayed at your home for a few days.”

Brian choked back a laugh at the thought of Joanie sending time with him and Justin.

“As Father Bolton knows my mother and I are not close. My nephews, who live with me, are in sporadic contact with her. I can’t imagine who my mother would be visiting. She may just be not feeling well. Have you tried phoning her?”

“Yes. Actually we have tried both her home phone and her cell phone and left messages on both. We were hoping you had a key to her house and could check on her.mIt is not like your mother to miss mass for three days in a row.”

Brian rolled his eyes.

“I do have a key. I’ll check on her and let you know what I find out.”

The church secretary thanked him and hung up.

Brian shouted “FUCK!” Grabbed his keys and headed out.

***********************************************************************************

At the Bloom Gallery there was a board meeting of the Norma Bloom Foundation. (last time I got her name wrong sorry!). This meeting was very civilized and they quickly agreed on answering a couple request.

There was a daycare in the Hills district that requested funds to buy crayons and coloring books as Christmas gifts for their students. The board agreed that it was a worthwhile thing to do but it did not really encourage art which was the aim of the foundation.

Justin made the other board members feel better by telling them that he and Brian had their own charitable foundation which would fulfill the daycare center’s request. After the board meeting Justin walked through the gallery with Pat Davis to view the new sculpture show that was opening on the weekend.

They also discussed what gallery space they would use for the first semester PIFA art show. Pat was in talks with Carnegie-Mellon to display the work of their best art students as well. Justin smiled when Pat told him that her contact was the art department admin who Justin met at Michael & Ben’s Memorial Day barbeque.

*************************************************************************************

Brian always got a sense of foreboding when he stood outside his childhood home. He walked up the steps to the front door and rang the doorbell. Glancing through the window he saw the mail scattered on the floor. He used his key and opened the door.

He stood on the enclosed porch and listened for a moment but didn’t hear anything. Brian opened the door to the living room and called his mother’s name. He listened and thought he could hear something from the second floor. He called her name again and again heard something from upstairs.

Obviously something was wrong. Brian considered just calling 911 and waiting until paramedics or police arrived. After some hesitation he walked up the stairs. The only door that was open was the door to his parents’ bedroom. He called his mother’s name again and heard her reply from behind the bathroom door.

Brian walked up to the door and tried the knob but it was locked and wouldn’t turn.

“Mother are you in there?”

Joan replied but her voice sounded weak to Brian.

“Mother, can you unlock the door?”

“No. I can’t get out of the tub. I fell and hurt my shoulder.”

Brian pushed against the door. It didn’t feel all that solid.

“Brian! You can’t come in. I don’t have any clothes on!”

Brian raised his eyes heavenward and shook his head.

“Well if you can’t get out of the tub, I’m going to have to come in and help you.”

“Just call the police and tell them to send a policewoman to help me.”

Brian shook his head again and thought just how exasperating Joan could be.

“Mother, that’s just stupid. I’m coming in. I’ll try not to look. I’ll throw you a towel to cover yourself when I get in there.”

With Joan still protesting Brian took a step back before moving forward and slamming against the cheap hollow core door which quickly gave way. Once in the bathroom Brian, with no desire to see any naked woman let alone his mother, kept his eyes averted and threw two towels off the wall rack to Joan.

Once he was sure she had time to cover up he glanced down at his mother.

“How long have you been in that tub?”

“I slipped getting out on Monday morning and fell. I hurt my shoulder and couldn’t maneuver myself out of the tub. I keep emptying the tub and running hot water to stay warm and drank cold water from the tap so I didn’t get dehydrated. Why did you come here today?”

“Your Mass buddies missed you. Father Bolton had the church secretary call to see if I knew where you were. Here’s your robe. Try and put that on and I’ll get you out of the tub.”

Brian turned around and waited. Joan groaned in pain but refused his help while she put on her robe. When Brian turned to help her out of the tub he was shocked by how haggard she looked.

Joan held her right arm close to her body and it was obvious she was in quite a bit of pain. Brian basically lifted her out of the tub. Joan couldn’t stop the tears running down her face.

“Just get me into my bed so I can lie down.”

“Mother, you have to eat something and I think you need to go to the emergency room. You sprained or broke something when you fell.”

“I just want to go to bed!”

A part of Brian wanted to put her in bed and leave but a larger part knew that was wrong.

“We are going downstairs now. I’m going to make you some toast and call 911. You really aren’t in a position to argue.”

Brian helped Joan downstairs and installed her in her chair. He was happily surprised to find there was bread without any blue mold to toast. He poured Joan a glass of orange juice which he was not surprised to find in the refrigerator. Orange juice and vodka was a favorite morning drink for Joan. Today she would have to settle for plain orange juice.

He brought the toast and juice out to his mother. Joan was looking a little worse and was obviously in a lot of pain. Brian warned her not to eat too quickly which earned him a dirty look from his mother.

Brian chuckled as he dialed 911 from the house phone. He explained the situation to the operator and it seemed like only minutes later that he could hear the siren getting closer.

Joan told him to go upstairs to get some clothes for her to take to the hospital. He unlocked the front door, grabbed a brown bag form the kitchen and went upstairs. He grabbed some clothes, deodorant, perfume & Joan’s tooth brush.

By the time he got back downstairs the paramedics were talking with Joan. They turned to Brian.

“Looks like your Mom may have broken her collar bone. We are going to transport her to Allegheny General. You can lock up the house and meet us there.”

Brian just nodded although inside he was screaming. Sadly there was no one to call to take over Joan duty. For the first time is his life Brian actually wished his sister was around.

They strapped Joan to a gurney and with her purse clasped in her good arm she was loaded into the ambulance.

Brian was anxious to get out of the house so he gathered the mail and put it on the dining room table. He smiled because he knew that would annoy Joan. She didn’t like anything left on the table. He remembered how Jack would always leave something on the dining room table to annoy Joan. Out on the sidewalk he called Kinnetik and told Carole what found at his mother’s house. He told her to let Cynthia and Ted know he was on his way to the ER with Joan. Brian wasn’t sure when he would get back to the office.

Cynthia was surprised when Carole relayed that info. Brian taking care of Joan was an unusual & somewhat shocking event. She knew Justin was at the gallery today so she called his cell.

“Hi Cynthia. What’s up?”

“Someone from Joan’s church called Brian this morning to say no one had seen her for a couple days. He went over to Joan’s house and found her in the bath tub. She fell on Monday and has been in the tub since then.

Brian got her out of the tub and called an ambulance. They took Joan to the ER at Allegheny and Brian called Carole to say he was on his way to the hospital. I thought you would want to know.”

“Thanks for calling. I’ll head over there. Was Joan conscious?”

“Apparently she was. Brian thinks she sprained or broke her shoulder and couldn’t get herself out of the tub.”

Justin sighed.

“This should be dreadful! I’ll let you know what happens. Thanks again.”

Justin disconnected the call. He let Sidney know where he was going and headed to the hospital.