Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Holiday Happenings

This story is a sequel to “Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad”. You don’t have to read that story first but this story will make more sense if you do.
Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian’s nephews. This is how they I think they would celebrate fall & winter holidays.
I don’t own the characters just the situations.

Chapter 5

Justin arrived at the Bloom Gallery after leaving Peter in the capable hands of Alice and Grandmom Jen. He met with Pat Davis to go over the planned shows for the rest of the year. Next there was a board meeting of the charitable foundation set up to honor the memory of Naomi Bloom. They had a few requests for donations to discuss.

Sidney’s son, David, and daughter, Sara, had come into the gallery for the meeting. Justin has done his best to avoid Sara since their last run in, where she accused him of cheating her father. Sidney assured him that he solved that issue with his daughter.

Justin opened the meeting with a report on how much they actually had to spend. Pat was occupied with taking the minutes of the meeting. Sara spoke up about the foundation donating two plaques to her daughters’ school for their first semester art awards.

He brother looked shocked. “Really? That school can’t afford their own awards. With the tuition they charge they should be able to pay for gold trophies.”

Sara gave David a dirty look. Sidney never looked up from the meeting agenda. Justin took a deep breath before jumping in.

“Plaques for a private school is not really my vision for the foundation. I really want us to try and inspire young artists that might not have the financial means to create art.

I understand you wanting to reward the best art students at your daughters’ school. We could have Kinnetik’s art department make up some really professional certificates and some gift certificates for our gift shop to go along with them. I would rather not use foundation money at private schools.”

Sara was not pleased with Justin’s suggestion.

“I am not sure why we don’t change the name of the foundation to the Justin Taylor Charity. I thought the purpose of the foundation was to honor my mother but you apparently have issues with donating a couple plaques to her granddaughters’ school. It seems pointless to even have these meeting if we are going to wind up doing just what you want.”

Sidney started to say something but Justin put his hand on Sidney’s arm to stop him.

“Sara in our past encounters I have tried to think of how I could have offended you. Now I have decided you are an unhappy, vicious and vindictive woman. I don’t know why because from the outside looking in you seem to have a pretty good life. There is an old movie, I think from the seventies, where the catch phrase is I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take this anymore. That is how I feel!

I offered an alternative for your school awards but I will be honest and say that I will never approve of our foundation giving useless plaques to an elitist private schools whose students come from wealthy families. I feel we honor your mother better by encouraging young artists whose families or schools perhaps do not have the means to provide them with all the supplies they need.

Honestly if you want your school to have plaques why don’t you buy the damn things yourself! I think it is pointless to have you jump down my throat every time I say something and I am not prepared to tolerate that behavior at every meeting!”

Before Sara could reply her brother spoke up.

“Wow Sara! I agree with Justin. What is your problem?”

Sara stood up and started to gather the papers in front of her. Her father jumped to his feet.

“SARA! Sit down this minute! I can tell you that your mother certainly wouldn’t be honored by your behavior. I am starting to think that somehow we made a horrible mistake in raising you. Justin offered a generous alternative to your request. I agree with him if you want the girls’ school to have plaques buy the damn things yourself. I am going to request that Justin NOT have certificates made and I do not agree with giving you gift certificates for the gallery gift shop.

I am also going to request that you grow up and start to act in a professional manner. If you continue to disrespect my business partner, I plan to cut off all financial support for you. I am starting to think it is a mistake not to make you stand on your own two feet and not expect others to support you unconditionally.”

Pat Davis wished she could sink under the table and wondered what should be included in the minutes. Sara had tears running down her cheeks but if she thought that would soften her father’s attitude she was mistaken.

Justin looked around the table at the glowering faces of all three Bloom family members. When he glanced at Pat she just shrugged.

Justin decided to just move forward with the agenda. He started to go through the request they had received for donations. Amazingly it seemed to work out okay. Even Sara participated and when they selected the donations they would make, she volunteered to make one of the presentations herself.

By the end of the meeting Justin was pleased with the results and Sidney thanked him with a smile. David shook his hand before he left and even Sara said she appreciated his efforts.

Justin called Brian to tell him he was coming to Kinnetik so they could go to the diner for lunch. When Justin arrived they walked down to the diner together. As usual when Brian came through the door the manager found that something needed his attention in the kitchen. Justin laughed at the satisfied look on Brian’s face due to his ability to intimidate the diner’s manager.

Debbie walked up to greet them. Both men were surprised by Debbie’s appearance. Justin stepped forward to give Debbie a hug.

“Deb! Are you feeling okay? You look really tired.”

“I’m fine Sunshine. I just have a cold that has been keeping me awake at night.”

“Have you been to the doctor?”

“I went to urgent care but I can’t take a lot of cold stuff because of my blood pressure.”

Justin looked concerned.

“Is you blood pressure high again?”

“I’m fine. You shouldn’t worry about me.”

Debbie grabbed a couple menus and led them to a booth attempting to end the questions about her health. Justin slid into the booth but Brian positioned himself to block Debbie from moving away.

“Deb! You need to take some time off until you feel better. The diner will function without you.”

Debbie looked annoyed.

“I have bills that need to be paid. I can’t afford to stay home. Business has been bad at the comic book store.”

Justin spoke up.

“Please don’t tell me that you are working so you can give money to Michael to pay expenses at his store.”

Brian face hardened at that thought but Debbie was quick to defend her son.

“I am not giving money to Michael for the store but they have JR every weekend and that has added to their expenses. I am helping a little and don’t forget I have my own expenses. Carl wants to help more but he has to think about his retirement and he helps his daughter. She has a lot of expenses from her husband’s illness and now that he died she is a single parent. I won’t let Carl help with the mortgage on my house.”

Brian shook his head.

“You still have a mortgage after all these years?"

“Brian you know I remortgaged to help Vic with all his expenses. Not everyone has as much fucking money as you.”

Debbie tried to walk away but Justin stood back up and blocked her escape. He took her hand.

“Debbie you know we both love you and we are grateful to all the help you have given us over the years. When you get the next mortgage bill you need to get that to Ted. He can make all the arrangements to pay off your mortgage.”

Debbie knew that Brian and Justin would offer to help her financially but the offer to pay off her mortgage genuinely shocked her. She worked hard to keep her tears at bay.

“That’s very nice but you boys should worry about paying your own fucking mortgage and not mine.”

Brian looked her in the eye.

“We don’t have a fucking mortgage or any other kind of mortgage on our home.”

“Are you kidding? There’s no mortgage on that fucking mansion you live in?”

Brian shook his head and Debbie quickly turned to Justin who smiled and shook his head as well. Justin took her hand.

“Deb we’re rich. I know that sounds conceited but it’s true. Let us pay off your mortgage and you take some time off to get better. We want you around for a long time, you need to take care of yourself and let us help you.”

Debbie couldn’t hold back the tears and they ran down her face. Justin pulled her into a hug. Brian looked embarrassed but wanted to be sure this mortgage thing was settled.

“So you’ll send the mortgage bill to Theodore?”

“Yes Asshole I’ll send him the bill.”

Brian smiled.

“Good! We’ll have our regular lunches and I need to back in the office in time for an important call so rush our orders.”

Justin chuckled as Debbie pulled away and headed back towards the kitchen. They slid into the booth and when Justin looked across the table at Brian they both laughed.

Debbie brought their lunch quickly and delivered a bag of free lemon bars with their check. She completely embarrassed Brian by leaning down and delivering a kiss on his cheek before hurrying away. Justin laughed as Brian’s face got as red as the lipstick mark Debbie left on his cheek. Brian glared across the table at his partner which made Justin laugh even harder. Brian used a napkin to wipe off Debbie’s lipstick and quickly made his way out of the diner. Justin left money to pay for lunch and followed Brian still laughing.

Brian was waiting down the street from the diner.

“Just what is so funny Justin?”

“You are! I think you are almost as funny as you are sexy.”

Brian smirked.

“Do you really think that is all it takes for me to forgive you?”

Justin smiled.

“You soooooooo adore me.”

They both were laughing as they walked back to Kinnetik. Brian delivered a toe curling kiss in the lobby and Justin walked to his car with a big smile and a bulge in his pants.

When Justin got back to the Bloom Gallery he and Sidney had a meeting to discuss business issues and their plans for the future. They both enjoyed their partnership and were optimistic about the continuing success of Bloom Gallery.

One of their new part time employees knocked and walked into Sidney’s office.

“Justin. There is a Detective Horvath from the Pittsburgh Police Department at the front desk asking to see you!”

Sidney and Justin both smiled at the worried look on the receptionist’s face. Justin reassured her.

“Don’t worry he isn’t here to arrest me. He is a close friend.”

Justin made his way out to the lobby area.

“Hi Carl! What can I do for you?”

“Hi Justin. Sorry to bother you but I hope you have a few minutes to talk with me.”

‘Sure Carl. Always have time for you. Let’s go back to the conference room.”

Once they were in the conference room Justin asked Carl if he could get him water or anything else. Carl said he as fine.

“So Carl. What did you want to talk about?”

“It’s Debbie. I’m worried about her.”

Justin nodded.

“Brian and I had lunch at the diner today. We both thought she looked tired. We told her she needed to take some time off.”

Carl groaned.

“I have been telling her that for days. I love her but she is the most stubborn woman I ever met. I’ve offered her money to stay home. She won’t take money from me above my share of our expenses.”

Justin smiled.

“I know she is stubborn. I don’t really understand why she needs to so hard especially while she is sick. She did tell us that she needs to make money to pay her mortgage. Brian convinced her to let us pay off the mortgage on her house.”

Carl’s eyes got wide.

“Wow! That is amazingly generous of you guys. I just hope that slows her down. The mortgage is really not the main financial issue with her.”

“Michael?”

Carl nodded.

“As always! He’s been telling her how much money it is costing them to have JR stay with them every weekend. I know you have had JR stay with you and she has been at our house quite a bit. She is not what I would call a big eater so I’m not sure why it costs Michael and Ben so much money to have her stay with them. You know Debbie won’t listen to any criticism of her son.”

“Yes I know that only too well. Brian asked her if she was helping Michael with his store expenses. She told us the extra expenses for JR. Frankly that doesn’t make sense. He pays no support so I can’t understand not being able to even feed his daughter on weekends.”

Carl looked uneasy.

“I hate to carry tales about Michael but every time he comes around he is talking about biding for something on the internet. He brags about how much his collection is worth. Debbie does tell him he should be saving some money but he pays no attention.

I think a man that is Michael’s age should be helping his mother not vice versa. I can only say so much before Deb gets her stubborn face on and I hear the whole story about poor Michael growing up without a father.”

“Well we are not going to be able to solve the Michael problem. I’m not sure what it would take for Debbie to take an honest look at Michael.”

“Now that you have told me about you guys paying off the mortgage I feel bad about the asking you for the favor I came here to talk about.”

Justin smiled at Carl.

“Go ahead and ask.”

“Thanksgiving will be here soon. I don’t think Debbie is up to doing the big dinner this year. Plus the oven is acting up and she won’t let me buy her a new stove. She says the oven is fine she just has to adjust cooking times. I was hoping you and Brian would have the dinner at you house.

I believe Debbie will be relieved but she would never ask you to have the dinner. I know you’ll have to convince Brian to host the dinner.”

“You are correct. Brian will not be happy to have a big dinner at our house. I may have to bring in my secret weapon.”

Carl looked confused.

“Secret weapon?”

“I’ll get my Mother to suggest it to Brian.”

Carl burst out laughing.

“Will Jennifer do that?”

Justin just smiled and nodded. Carl thanked him for his help and Justin gave him a hug before he left.

Justin left for home shortly after his talk with Carl. When he walked into the house his first thought was that Peter looked like the cat that ate the canary. He was sprawled on a recliner in the family room with a tray table beside the chair.

Jennifer was sitting on the other side of the table and they were playing rummy. A dish of Alice’s homemade banana pudding, a favorite of Peter’s, was sitting on the table. Alice was assembling lasagna at the kitchen counter and this was, of course, another of Peter’s favorites. Justin gave Alice a kiss on the cheek.

Jennifer smiled and stood up as her son came across the room. He gave her a hug and kissed her cheek. He said hello to Peter and asked how he was feeling.

“I feel good. Grandmom and Alice have been taking good care of me. The eye doctor agreed with the ER doctor and said there was no permanent damage to my eye.”

“That’s great buddy! It looks like you have been pretty pampered today.”

Peter just smiled.

Justin said he was going up to change his clothes so Jennifer and Peter resumed their card game. When Justin came back downstairs the card game was over. Alice had left to pick up John and Josh. Peter went along for the ride.

Justin was surprised.

“I was going to pick up the boys. I thought Alice knew that.”

Jennifer was sitting at the kitchen table with a pot of tea. Justin recognized that as a sign that his mother wanted to talk with him.

“I asked Alice to do the school run so we could talk.”

Justin chuckled.

“Yes. I recognize tea as a sign that we are going to have a talk. What’s on your mind Mom?”

Justin sat at the table and Jennifer poured them each a cup of tea.

“Debbie called me and told me about what you and Brian are going to do for her. That is wonderful of you but I wasn’t surprised. Debbie sounded really tired and she told me she is going to take a week off from the diner.”

“That’s good. She looks really bad. Brian and I were both concerned. That is how the whole mortgage thing came about. We had no idea she still had a mortgage on her house after all these years.”
Jennifer smiled.
“She has such a big heart. She took on Vic’s debt and now unfortunately I think she is supplementing Michael’s income. I’ve tried to tell her that Michael needs to take care of himself but you know how blind and stubborn she is when it comes to him.”

“Carl stopped to see me at the gallery. He is worried about Debbie too. Carl told me that Michael told Debbie that he needs extra money because they have JR staying with him and Ben every weekend. Of course we all know that JR cannot be costing them that much money. Carl thinks Michael spends a lot of money on the internet.”

Jennifer sighed.

“It drives me crazy to see Debbie work so hard and get taken advantage of by Michael but I know there is nothing anyone can do about it. Debbie also mentioned to me that her oven has been acting up and she hasn’t gotten anything ready for Thanksgiving. She talked about the kitchen here and how she wished she had a kitchen like this. I think she was hinting about having Thanksgiving dinner here.”

Justin nodded.

“That was really why Carl stopped at the gallery to see me. He was hoping Brian and I would host Thanksgiving dinner. The only issue I have is that Alice & Charlie had their family dinner here last Thanksgiving and they plan on doing that again this year.

Even though this is our house we agreed to let the Simpsons use the kitchen and dining room. I don’t feel right pulling the rug out from under them. Alice and Charlie do too much for us to make them change their plans at the last minute.”

“Alice and I already talked about that. They don’t have any problem with having a joint Thanksgiving. With Alice and I helping we can be sure that Debbie doesn’t overdo. The real issue is what will Brian say about this plan?”

“I told Carl you were my secret weapon. Brian won’t say no to you.”

Jennifer shook her head.

“Nope! I won’t put Brian in that position, that wouldn’t be fair. This is something you and Brian need to discuss.”

Mother and son sat quietly sipping tea. When the house phone rang Justin got up to answer it. Jennifer listened to the conversation with interest. She could tell it was someone from the Washington Academy calling.

When Justin hung up he turned to his Mother with a smile.

“That was the Headmaster from the Academy. They have expelled Joe Harkins. He said it was a unanimous vote of the discipline committee.”

“That’s wonderful Honey. We both know that was the right thing to do but the right thing isn’t always what happens.”

Justin nodded and they returned to drinking their tea. They were both thinking about Chris Hobbs and how the justice system has failed them. Jennifer reached across the table and took Justin’s hand.

“We have survived and thrived so we made our own justice.”

Justin smiled.

“You’re right Mom.”

They sat chatting, sipping tea. Jennifer talked about how Molly was doing at school. Justin told her about his run in with Sara at the gallery and preparing for his NYC show in December.

Jennifer said the painting was done at Mel & Lindsay’s house. She let Justin know that Ted & Bake had paid for the painters as a housewarming gift. The areas that Justin had marked off for mural in Gus & JR’s rooms had been painted a flat white.

Justin said that he had been working on ideas for the murals with the kids. JR wanted Sleeping Beauty with the three good fairies and Maleficent. Brian suggested he should use Mel as a model for Maleficent. Jennifer chuckled but then said that wasn’t a nice thing to say.

Gus wanted his mural to feature wizards and dragons. Justin told his mother he planned to have the wizards have Justin and Brian’s faces. Jennifer smiled and said Gus will love that.

Jennifer got serious.

“Sweetheart, Alice feels that there is something going on with you and Brian that you aren’t talking about. It is not just gossiping we are concerned about you both. Brian isn’t sick again is he?”

Justin shook his head.

“Nothing is wrong I promise. There are just some things that we need to keep just between the two of us for right now.”

“Well you know if you need anything I am always here for you.”

“I do know that Mom. There is nothing wrong with Brian and me. You just have to trust me on that.”

When Alice, John and Peter got home Justin was happy to announce that Joe had been expelled.

John nodded.

Good Riddance! There was a rumor at school this afternoon that he got expelled. Of course there was also a rumor that Joe’s father got a bunch of businesses to leave Kinnetik and you and Uncle Brian weren’t going to be able to afford our tuition.”

Justin laughed.

“It would take a lot more than losing Frank Harkins as a customer to even dent Kinnetik’s bottom line. No worries about your tuition.”

Peter looked a little concerned.

“Does this mean I can go back to school tomorrow or do I have to stay on suspension another day.”

“Peter you are NOT on suspension. I think it was best you stay home today so you could keep applying ice to your face. I made it clear to the Headmaster and Mr Dennison that you were not on suspension. If you are feeling up to it you can definitely go to school tomorrow.”

Peter and John both smiled. They still not completely comfortable with the idea that any adult was really on their side and willing to fight for them. They knew the Uncles always said they were on their side but they were happily surprised each time they really showed it!

Jennifer left soon after the boys got home. John brought some homework assignments for Peter who got to work on them right away.

When Brian came home Alice and Charlie were in the kitchen. After saying hello Brian asked where everyone else was.

Alice answered.

“John and Peter are doing homework in their rooms. Jennifer went home and Justin is in the studio. I guess Justin told you that Joe Harkins got expelled.”

Brian nodded. “He emailed me with that news. I’m going up to change.”

“Okay. Dinner will be ready in less than an hour.”

After he changed Brian went to the studio. Justin delighted as always to see Brian gave him a welcome home hug & kiss. Brian kept his arms around Justin who looked up at him with a big sunshine smile.

“It is worth going to work every day to get welcomed home by you Sunshine.”

Brian went over to examine the canvas that Justin was working on. As he stood and contemplated it Justin came over to stand by Brian’s side.

“Debbie called Mom to tell her that we are paying off her mortgage. Mom thought Debbie sounded tired. I told her we were both concerned with how Debbie looked when we had lunch at the diner.”

Brian just nodded.

“Carl stopped to see me at the gallery. He’s worried about Debbie too. He and Mom both think she is giving money to Michael. Debbie told Carl he needs extra money because Michael and Ben have JR every weekend. Debbie has the same story for everyone. Carl think Michael spends quite a bit of money biding for things on the internet.

Carl told me their oven is acting up. He’s concerned about Debbie hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year. When Mom talked to Debbie she told Mom about the oven. She is hoping it work okay for Thanksgiving.”

Bran nodded again. Justin was quiet unsure how to proceed. He knew that Brian did not really enjoy hosting big family gatherings.

“Well Sunshine! How do Alice and Charlie feel about all of us horning in on their Thanksgiving dinner?”

Justin was amazed.

“Brian! Did Alice say something to you? Or did Mom call you?”

Brian chuckled.

“I’m glad I still have the capacity to surprise you. I’m relieved Deb is being somewhat sensible. I didn’t think she looked up to hosting a big dinner. It will be less cramped here and if it gets to be too much for me there are places I can hide.”

Justin hugged Brian.

“Have I told you lately just how much I love you?”

Brian smiled.

“You know that is something I never get tired of hearing. Just don’t tell me all the particulars. I don’t really want to know how many people will be here for Thanksgiving dinner. I’m sure that will be a number I won’t be comfortable with so let it be a surprise.”

“I promise you won’t know a thing until we sit down to dinner and you won’t have to do anything.”

Brian held Justin tighter.

“I trust you to keep that promise Sunshine.”