Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Holiday Happenings

This story is a sequel to "Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad".  You don't have to read that story first but this story will make more sense if you do. 

Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian's nephews.  This is how they I think they would celebrate fall & winter holidays. 

I don't own the characters just the situations.

Chapter 34

Brian's meetings were canceled, his phone calls sent to voice mail and his office door remained firmly closed and locked while he offered Justin comfort in their own special way.  After multiple orgasms were taken care of, Brian listened to Justin rave about his asshole father and how he was never going to change.  It was a sentiment Brian wholeheartedly agreed with.  Brian was glad to see Justin smile as they kissed goodbye. 

Carole looked up nervously when Justin came out of Brian's office door.  He had looked upset when he arrived so she was relieved to see Justin smiling as he said good bye.  Carole emailed Cynthia to let her know that Brian had rearranged his schedule and Justin looked upset. 

Cynthia hurried to Ted's office, concerned there might be some problem with the twins.  Ted let her know that Justin was planning to have lunch with Craig Taylor.  They surmised that the lunch had not gone well.  Cynthia replied to Carole to be sure and let her know when Justin left.

When Carole notified Cynthia that Justin has left looking happier, Cynthia grabbed the papers she had gathered that required Brian's signature and went to his office. 

Cynthia gave a quick knock on Brian's office door before strolling in with the papers clutched in her hand. Brian looked up with an annoyed expression on his face.  There were a very limited number of people who dared walk into his office without being given permission first.

"Hi Boss.  I need some signatures."

Brian glanced at the papers as he started to sign them.  He instantly saw that nothing in the pile was urgent.

"Just what caused you to hurry in with this pile of crap for me to sign?"

Cynthia sat in a visitor chair.

"I just wanted to check and make sure you are okay."

Brian put down the pen and glared at his office manager.

"I guess it is too much to ask that my Admin's first loyalty be to me not you."

Cynthia met Brian glare for glare.

"Are you intimating that my first loyalty is not to you?  Yes Carole did mention to me that Justin arrived here looking upset.  I'm just concerned that nothing is wrong.  There isn't anything wrong with the twins is there?"

Brian's demeanor softened.  He knew that Cynthia was genuinely concerned.

"The twins are doing fine.  We have an ultrasound scheduled for next week.  Craig Taylor asked Justin to have lunch.  Justin was upset that Craig is the same homophobic asshole he has always been.  Justin was disappointed and I'm furious.  Why can't Craig Taylor just drop off the face of the earth?  Why did he have to get Justin's hopes up, only to disappoint him again?"

Cynthia reached across the desk and took Brian's hand.  She didn't say anything as Brian smirked at her.

"If there is anything I can do just let me know.  You know how much I care about you and Justin."

Brian nodded and Cynthia gathered the papers, half of which Brian hadn't signed and left the office.

A frustrated Brian sat at his desk.  He would like to confront Craig Taylor but Justin has made him promise he wouldn't contact Craig.  Suddenly Brian smiled as he thought of the perfect way to deal with Craig.

Jennifer was meeting with a few agents in her office when the receptionist let her know Brian was on the phone, asking to talk with her.  Jennifer quickly ended her meeting and picked up the phone.

Brian brought her up to date on Justin's & Craig's aborted lunch meeting.  As he hoped Jennifer was furious.  He stressed the need to not let Justin know they had talked.

"Don't worry about anything Honey.  I won't mention anything to Justin and I can assure you Craig won't cause you any issues in the future.  This is the last straw."

After they hung up Brian sat at his desk smiling.  He knew he had hit on the perfect solution for the Craig problem.  Brian had no doubt Mother Taylor could handle her ex-husband and enjoy doing it.  He took care of a few urgent items on his desk and then headed home.

After Jennifer hung up her phone she locked her desk, grabbed her purse and left the real estate office.  On her way out she told the receptionist that she was gone for the day.

Jennifer drove behind Taylor Electronics.  She saw Craig's car parked in the fenced employee lot.  She found a parking spot on the street and went into the store.  There were a few customers being helped by salespeople as Jennifer walked straight to the back of the store.

Jennifer pushed the bell beside the locked door that lead to the office area.   Delores, Craig's longtime assistant, looked up.  She saw Jennifer through the glass door and could not hide the shocked expression on her face.

Delores got up quickly and came through the door into the store area.

"Jennifer this is a surprise.  It's nice to see you after all this time.  How have you been?"

Jennifer had a big insincere smiled on her face.

"Hello Delores.  I need to speak with Craig."

"I wish you would have called. Craig is out on an appointment."

Jennifer's smile never faded.

"Did he walk?  I just saw his car in the employee lot."

Delores laughed nervously.

"I'm sorry; I misspoke.  Craig has an appointment here.  He's in a very important meeting in his office."

Jennifer chuckled.

"My goodness Delores; how many times have you told me that lie?  All that time pretending to be my friend.  Always telling me how the children and I were Craig's whole life.  That we were all he talked about.

Please go and tell Craig to finish up and put on his pants.  I am NOT leaving here without talking to him.  I'm sure his current Bimbo will understand.  She might even be grateful to have their time together cut short."

Delores shook her head.

"I'm afraid it won't be possible for you to see Craig.  He is in an important meeting."

"I intend to talk to Craig about his behavior today.  I am not leaving this store until I see him!"

Delores folded her arms and planted herself in front of the door that lead to the offices.

"I'm not sure how I can make you understand.  Craig is in a meeting and is not available to talk with you.  I hope you will take this as some advice, not meant as criticism.   I know Craig was having lunch with Justin today.   Craig didn't say much but I got the impression that lunch didn't go well.

I think it is time you let Justin fight his own battles.  You know it could be that your over protectiveness is why Justin became gay.  I'm sure, like Craig, you feel some disappointment over how Justin turned out but you can't keep fighting his battles."

Jennifer actually laughed out loud.

"My son is a successful artist that has had his art work shown all over the country and even in Europe.  He is in a very successful, committed relationship with a man I admire and love like another son. 

I cannot believe that you would try and give me parenting advice.  As far as I know your son lives at home and still works here as a part-time delivery man.  Your daughter and her two children, whose fathers are married men, also live with you."

Delores bristled.

"My son is attending night school and working on getting his college degree."

Jennifer smiled.

"Delores Dear!  You son is almost thirty years old.  He has been going to night school for twelve years.  Just how close to a degree is he and what plans does he have to put that degree to good use?"

Delores was anxious to change the direction of their conversation.

"Jennifer I am really going to have to ask you to leave the store.  Craig is not available to meet with you."

"Delores I am not leaving this store until I speak with Craig.  I suggest you just let him know I am here."

Delores shook her head.

"No!  I am not going to do that.  If you refuse to leave I will be forced to call the police and have you removed."

Jennifer laughed again.

"Call the police; I dare you.  Justin and Brian have a lawyer on retainer and I have their phone numbers on speed dial.  I don't think I will serve any time for trespassing at a store.

They also own the most successful ad agency in Pittsburgh.  I think they could use the fact that Craig called the police on his son and his ex-wife rather than talk to them into an interesting story.  Brian has a lot of contacts at the local newspapers.

Do you think it will help business for Craig to become a laughingstock?"

Delores sighed. 

"Wait here.  I'll see if Craig can rearrange his schedule."

An amused Jennifer watched, thru the glass door, as the uncomfortable Delores walked to her desk and picked up the phone.  She turned her back on Jennifer, which just added to her amusement.

After a quick phone conversation Delores opened the door to the office area. 

"Craig is able to make some time to talk with you.  Please wait here in the conference room.  Can I get you something to drink?"

"No thank you."

Jennifer sat at the conference room table.  Delores firmly closed the door as she left.

Jennifer got up and stood by the door.  When she heard voices, Jennifer opened the door.  Delores was saying goodbye to an attractive woman about 20 years younger than Craig.  Craig himself appeared out of his office door still buttoning his shirt and smoothing his hair.

Jennifer laughed which made all three people look toward her.  The woman with Delores quickly left by the back door to the employee parking area. Delores looked annoyed and Craig flushed with embarrassment.

Jennifer left the door open as she resumed her seat at the conference table.  Craig walked into the room.

"It might be more comfortable to meet in my office."

Jennifer shook her head.

"I couldn't be sure where it was safe to sit in there.  I prefer to stay here."

Craig rolled his eyes as he closed the door.

"So I assume Justin called you and that is why you are here."

Jennifer just looked at her ex-husband for a few moments before replying.

"You know what they say about assuming.  I haven't talked to Justin for a few days.  Brian called me to let me know about your behavior at lunch with my son."

Craig sneered.

"So Kinney was afraid to confront me himself."

"No Craig!  Brian is a man of integrity, Justin made him promise not to come see you.  Unlike you, Brian does no break promises or vows.  He is certainly not afraid of you."

"A man of Integrity?  He didn't mind seducing and corrupting our teenage son."

Jennifer shook her head.

"Craig!  Justin went down to Liberty Avenue to have sex.  He's lucky that it was Brain who picked him up.  Justin knew just he was doing and set about capturing Brian's attention.  Brian never had sex with anyone more than once.  Justin is the only person Brian broke his one-time only rule for."

"All I know is that we were a happy family until Kinney entered the picture.  He's the reason I lost my family."

Jennifer sighed.

"You can try all you like to make Brian the villain of this story but that really is not true.  I came here today to tell you to stay away from my family.  I refuse to let you hurt my son any more than you already have."

Craig leaped to his feet, his face a bright red.

"Your son, your family?  What are we talking about two more virgin births, notify the Vatican.  I did play a role in creating this family!"

Jennifer sat quietly and just looked at him until Craig resumed his seat.

"You contributed sperm and created two wonderful children.  Than you spent years lying and cheating on me.  You spent less and less time at home.  Than you decided that Justin was not your son unless he pretended to become what you wanted.  You put your teenage son out of his home and out of your life.  God forgive me that I let you do those things.

Now you are angry because I talk about my family when you fucking threw your wonderful son away like a used tissue.  Molly and I love Justin and we love Brian and they love us.  Molly retains some feelings for you.  I suggest you never try and make her choose between you and Justin and Brian.  I would be happy never to see or talk with you again. 

You tell Justin you want to have lunch; to reestablish some kind of relationship with him.  However you remain hostile to the most important person in Justin's life.  Brian did not force Justin out of his home.  Brian found a place for Justin to stay with people who accepted him for what he was.  Brian paid for Justin's schooling even when Justin left him for someone else.  Brain would do anything to make sure that Justin is happy and safe.

What have you done for Justin since you disowned him and threw him out of his home?"

Craig didn't say anything.

"So nothing to say?"

"I miss my family."

Jennifer rolled her eyes.

"NO!  You miss your dream family that performs the way you want them too.  You don't miss real people.  You cannot have Justin in your life unless you are willing to say how wrong you were and accept Brian.  If you continue to put Justin through this bullshit I will do everything I can to ruin your life.

The money from my trust fund started this company.  I have paperwork that shows that fact.  I will sue you to recover that money.  Before you say anything I know there is not much chance of me winning.  It will cost you quite a bit for legal help to fight my lawsuit.  I can afford really good lawyers. 

I've spoken to Molly and she is willing to enforce the area of our divorce agreement where you agree to pay for her college education.  You can't afford that either.  I will talk to Brian about finding a reason to call your loan with Sunshine Associated due.  I have talked to my friend Debbie about having the Gay and Lesbian Center and PFLAG picket your company as homophobic.  That will not be good for business.

These are just the things I came up with today.  Given time I'm sure I can come up with more ideas about how to screw with your life.  I will not let you hurt MY SON again!"

Craig looked genuinely hurt.

"Do you really hate me this much?"

"I don't hate you Craig.  I feel only disgust and disappointment when I look at you.  It upsets me to think that at one point I really did love you and now I can't figure out why."

Craig was amazed by Jennifer's remarks; he could tell they expressed how she truly felt about him.  He found it shocking and disappointing that his ex-wife felt that way about him.

"Jen, we had a good life, a happy family until Kinney came on the scene.  He is the reason everything fell apart."

"NO Craig!  The first cracks in that supposed "perfect" life appeared when I discovered you were cheating on me and had been doing it for some time.  The death blow to our happy family was when you told Justin he could not stay in his home if he was homosexual, unless he hid who he really was.  I hate you for doing that and for quite some time I hated myself for letting that happen.

After Justin's bashing I asked Brian to stay away from him and he did.  Eventually I realized that Justin needed Brian; that he loved Brian more than anyone else.  Brian took in my very emotionally damaged son and brought him back to life.  I will be grateful to him for the rest of my life!

You can rewrite history in your mind but the fact remains that you are the villain in this story not Brian.  You disowned your son while Brian loved him and took care of him.  Brian truly loves Justin for who and what he is.  You only loved Justin when he did what you wanted; you insisted he pretend not to be gay if he wanted your love.

You are a homophobic asshole and I warn you again to stay away from my family."

With a final look of disgust at the silent Craig.  Jennifer grabbed her purse and walked out of the conference room.  Delores stood outside the door and started to say something; the look that Jennifer gave her stopped her from saying anything.

*************************************************************************************

When Justin got home Alice was busy working in the kitchen.  Justin had a smile on his face but Alice took one look at him and enveloped him in a hug.  She could see the smile didn't reach his eyes.

"You need to spend some time in your studio.  Charlie will do the school pick up."

Justin chuckled.

"So you think you can read me that well?"

Alice shook her head.

"I don't THINK it.  I know you need some studio time!'

Justin gave her a kiss on the cheek before going upstairs to change his clothes before heading to his studio.  He got out a fresh canvas to work out his emotions.  He wasn't surprised by his experience with Craig at lunch but he was disappointed.  His time spent with Brian helped him deal with most of that disappointment and some studio time would take care of the rest.

As soon as Justin left the kitchen; Alice quickly called Brian's cell phone to be sure that he was aware that Justin's lunch with Craig had not gone well.  She was pleased when a chuckling Brian told her that Justin had spent time with him at Kinnetik.

When John & Peter arrived home with Charlie, Alice told them that Justin was in his studio and shouldn't be disturbed.  The boys went up to their rooms to change their clothes before coming back down to the kitchen for a snack.

When they came down for their snack, Alice told John & Peter that she planned to feed them early so that Brian and Justin could have dinner alone together.  After they finished their snack the boys went back upstairs to get working on their homework.

When Peter was done his homework he went across the back stairs to the studio door.  He stood by the door for few moments before knocking.  Justin had lost interest on his latest work of art and decided to inventory his canvases and paints. 

Brian always claimed that Justin had no idea what art supplies he had in his studio.  It was a claim Justin always firmly denied.  However both men knew it was actually pretty accurate.

Justin was sitting at his laptop trying to decide the best way to start his inventory when he heard the soft knock on the door.

"Come on in."

Peter cautiously opened the door.

"Sorry to disturb you Uncle Justin.  Can I come in for a minute?"

Justin smiled.  "You're not disturbing me.  I know Uncle Brian tells you never to interrupt me when I here in the studio but most the time it is okay."

Peter chuckled.

"This time it was Alice who told John and me not to disturb you.  I just wanted to tell you that Craig is an idiot not to be proud to be your father.  You are the most amazing person I know.  I just wanted to tell you that."

Justin came over to give Peter a hug.

"Thanks Buddy.  I just have to accept that Craig is an idiot and a homophobe and he is not going to change. It really is okay.  I was disappointed today but not really shocked or surprised.

I'm trying to be more organized here in the studio.  I want to inventory what supplies I have before I buy anything else.  To be honest I just don't know how to start.  I've been writing down all the different color oil paint, watercolors and pastels that I have.  I figure I need to list them in alphabetical order but I keep finding a different color and screwing up the list.  Plus there are also product codes that I sometimes order by."

Peter nodded as he considered Justin's issue.

"You could use and Excel spreadsheet.  That way you could sort it different ways, depending on what you are looking for, a color or a code.  You could have different spreadsheets for your oil paints, your watercolors and your pastels."

Justin just looked at Peter with a bemused expression.

"You say that as if you think I could actually create those things."

"I can show you how to do it, Uncle Justin.  If you want I can create the spreadsheets and show you how to choose a sort option.  It isn't really difficult to do."

Justin liked the idea of Peter creating the spreadsheets so they two of them got to work, organizing Justin's art supplies.

When Brian arrived home Alice was busy in the kitchen.  She smiled as he came in through the garage door.

"Justin is up in the studio.  I'm planning to feed the boys early so you and Justin can have dinner alone."

Brian thought for a minute and shook his head.

"I don't think that is the right plan.  Justin needs some distractions.  He actually enjoys hearing about John and Peter's school days.  If it just the two of us, he'll obsess over Craig."

Alice nodded; no one understood Justin better than Brian.

"Okay.  Would you let the boys know about the change?"

Brian nodded and went upstairs to change.  He stopped by the nephews' rooms to let them know about the change in dinner plans but Peter was MIA

Brian was surprised when he walked into the studio to hear Peter chuckling as Justin worked on sorting the spreadsheets Peter had created for him.  Brian was happy to see the smile on Justin's face.  He walked over and briefly put his hand on Peter's shoulder.

Peter knew that quick touch was a huge endorsement from Uncle Brian.  He knew that it meant Uncle Brian was grateful that he was helping Uncle Justin and making him smile.

"So are you having any luck getting this place organized?  Uncle Justin does not have the best organizational skills so I know it is an uphill battle."

Justin stuck his tongue out at his partner but the smile didn't leave his face.  Brian walked over and put his arm around Justin's shoulders.  He felt his Sunshine lean into him and suddenly his underwear got tighter.  Brian jumped in surprise when Justin gave his ass a quick squeeze.

Peter laughed out loud at the surprised look on Uncle Brian's face.  Justin attempted to look innocent but failed.  Peter decided it was time to leave his uncles alone.  He stood up and said he thought Uncle Justin could handle the rest of his inventory alone.

When Peter left Brian went over to the studio door and locked.  He walked back to a smiling Justin and leaned down to deliver a passionate kiss.  When he broke off the kiss Brian whispered in Justin's ear.

"Fuck me Sunshine."

Justin took Brian's hand and led him back to the daybed.  Justin understood that this was Brian telling him how much he loved him.  He knew that Brian never bottomed for anyone but him.  As always, with Brian, actions spoke louder than words.

Mouths and hands explored bodies as both men removed or had their clothes removed.  When they were naked Brian lay down on his stomach.  Justin got lube out of a table drawer and spent time delivering a thorough rim job before using his lubed fingers to prepare Brian.

When he eased into his lover, Justin heard the quiet groan and felt the slight tension in Brian's body. He remained still, lightly caressing Brian and gently kissing the sensitive area on the aide of his neck.  When he felt Brian relax he started to slowly fuck him and gradually increased his tempo.

After Justin came he pulled out and the two men rolled onto their backs.  Justin took that as an opportunity to perform one of his special blow jobs.  Brian came explosively with his fingers entwined in Justin's hair.  They lay together with Justin molding himself to Brian's side and Brian's arm holding Justin firmly in place.

Brian turned slightly to look at his favorite blond.

"Are you doing okay Sunshine?"

Justin chuckled.

"Right now I feel really great."

"You know what I mean; your lunch."

Justin looked into Brian's eyes.

"When you show me how much you love me and Peter comes to the studio to say he can't imagine anyone not being proud to be my father and Alice tells me Charlie will do the school pickup so I can spend time in my studio; how can I give a fuck what Craig Taylor has to say or what he thinks.  He's an asshole and I am surrounded by people who love me. 

Brian I love you so much and for you to show that you love me just as much is the most important thing in the world to me.  Karma will eventually bite Craig in the ass."

Justin saw the Brian's lips form a small smile before he could stop it.

"Brian.  What did you do?  You promised me you wouldn't go to see Craig."

"And I never break my promises.  You didn't make me promise not to tell Mother Taylor about your aborted lunch date."

Justin laughed out loud.

"Oh my god!  Craig must have shit his pants by the time Mom got done with him."

The two men lay together laughing until they got up to take a shower and get dressed in time for dinner.

Brian was at his most outrageous at dinner which kept Justin laughing through most of the meal.  After cleanup the four of them went down to the game room for a ping pong tournament.   John & Peter were very amused by the Uncles' antics.

The next morning Brian got up when the alarm went off, as usual.  Justin rolled over and pulled a pillow over his head.  When Brian emerged by the bathroom, dressed and ready to leave for work he was surprised to see an empty bed.

When he got down to the kitchen a smiling Justin, with a serious case of bed head, was starting an egg white omelet.   He poured a mug of coffee and put it on the breakfast bar with the sugar bowl. 

"So why are you up and about so early this morning Sunshine?"

Brian was treated to a full blown sunshine smile. 

"Just cause."

Brian chuckled as Justin plated the omelet with dry wheat toast and made his way around the bar to sit in the stool next to Brian.  Brian leaned over to deliver a good morning kiss before starting to eat his breakfast.

Justin ate his bagel, slathered with cream cheese, his knee pressed against Brian's.  Both men smiled with contentment.  When they were finished breakfast Justin walked Brian to the door where he kissed him good bye and told him to be a good boy and have a nice day.  Brian found himself smiling all the way to Pittsburgh.

At Kinnetik Michael was helping Brian's Admin, Carole, set up for Debbie's meeting with Joe's Uncle.  Michael didn't really approve of his mother taking on another youngster.  He was amazed at the refreshments that had been delivered.  He wondered if his mother knew what this food cost.  As he was arranging the conference room under Carole's guidance Michael couldn't resist asking.

"Who is paying for this stuff?  I'm not sure my Mom is prepared to pay."

Carole rolled her eyes.

"Brian wanted a nice selection of refreshments.  There isn't any cost to you mother.  You should know that Brian would never charge her for anything."

When a nervous Debbie arrived with Cark and Joe she was stunned by the china & crystal along with the fresh fruit, croissants, Danish & bagels.  There was also coffee, tea, fruit juices, frizzy & plain bottled water.

"There's enough food here to feed a fucking army.  This must have cost Brian a fortune."

Carl chuckled.

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth Red.  Remember to try and watch the language."

Debbie shrugged.

"I'm really fucking nervous so I'm not making any promises about my language."

Joe just looked at Carl and shrugged.

Melanie arrived, looking cool & professional, shortly before Joe's Uncle arrived with his lawyer.  It was obvious the Uncle was impressed by the setting for their meeting.  He and Joe greeted each other with an awkward hug.

Just after the introductions were done Brian walked into the conference room.  Debbie felt herself relax.  She wasn't sure why but having Brian participate in the meeting filled her with confidence.

Brian noticed the uncle look Debbie over and saw his quick look of disdain.  Brian was not happy to see that look.

Joe's uncle turned to Brian.

"You have an amazing office building here.  I guess I am just a little confused about why we are meeting here.  Does Mrs Novotny work for you?"

"No Debbie doesn't work for me.  However she is partially responsible for this building existing.  She provided a place of refuge and support for a teenager with a drunken, abusive father and an alcoholic, remote mother.  I might not be this successful without Debbie and her brother Vic.

My partner, Justin, and I both very grateful for the assistance Debbie provided for us over the years.  She is who kept Joe safe from the predators who hang around Liberty Avenue to prey on young innocents like him."

The uncle looked surprised.

"Joe told me you and your partner are the ones who paid for his motel room and food.  I thought you were the ones who helped Joe the most."

Brian shook his head.

"Our son, Gus, overheard Debbie talking about her concerns with Joe's situation.  She is the main reason Joe stayed safe.  Gus was worried about him so Justin and I were glad to pay some money.  Gus was anxious that Joe have some Christmas gifts but Debbie is who Joe trusted; she is pretty much a legend around Liberty Avenue.  Everyone knows Debbie is who to go to when you have a problem."

Carl could feel Debbie getting emotional as Brian talked about her and he took her hand and gave it a squeeze.  With his other hand he gave her a clean hanky to dab her eyes.

Melanie spoke up and said they should discuss the business at hand.  She had a custody agreement which gave Debbie & Carl temporary custody of Joe. The other lawyer had information of boarding schools that he has done research on for Joe to attend.

The uncle chimed in.

"It is very kind of Mrs Novotny to make this offer but I feel she has done enough.  I think the best thing is for Joe to attend a boarding school for the next couple years.  That will give him a good preparation for college."

Debbie said that she and Carl had spoken with Joe and he was happy to stay with them.  They were enjoying Joe and he had started classes at the local high school.

The uncle frowned.

"It is very kind of you but I think my sister would have preferred Joe to get a firm foundation for his future.  I think these schools will provide the type of environment that my sister would wish for her son."

Brian took control of the meeting.

"So you spend a lot of time presenting stories where you appear to really care about the people and situations you are reporting on.  I am thinking that is all just faux concern.  You haven't asked your nephew what he wants.  In fact you have hardly even spoken to him since you arrived.

Do you have any plans to visit your nephew or to have him visit you?  Or this a Pontius Pilate maneuver, washing your hands of the situation?"

"I don't see that this is any of your concern Mr Kinney.  Simply because we are meeting in your building really doesn't give you the right to question my plans for my nephew.  My sister left him in my care.  I have to do what I think is best for him"

Melanie turned to Joe.

"Joe what would you prefer?"

Joe looked at Debbie and Carl who smiled at him before nervously turning to his uncle.

"I like living with Debbie and Carl.  They have been really good to me.  I'm gay and I think they can help me understand all that means.  I'm kind of afraid of hazing if I go to boarding school.  I already got a lot of teasing at my school before Mom died."

His uncle frowned at him.

"Joe I think your Mom wanted a certain kind of life for you.  These are some fine schools and I think they will prepare you better for the life you Mom hoped for you to have.  I have made my decision for what is best for you."

Seeing how upset Debbie was becoming Carl turned to Joe's uncle.

"Don't you think Joe's mother would want her son to have some say in where he lived?  He's not a child, he should have some say in his life."

"I think I know what is best for my nephew."

Brian sat back in his chair and looked at the uncle across the conference room table.

"Did you and your sister have any discussions about your guardianship of Joe?"

"I told you that my family matter are none of your concern."

Brian smirked.

"Child abuse is my concern.  You seem determined to ship your nephew off to some high toned boarding school where I suspect his life would be hellish.  Meanwhile you will be gallivanting around the world being concerned about strangers.

You have apparently decided that Debbie is not a suitable person to care for your nephew.  Her concern for him is genuine unlike yours.  I'm sure that competing news programs would love to do an expose on your treatment of your closest living relative.  Kinnetik had many contacts with newspapers and magazines and I feel sure I can make the necessary connections to sink your promising career."

"How dare you threaten me.  I think I know my sister's wishes better than any of you people."

Brian laughed.

"How would you know those wishes?  Joe had told us you were an infrequent visitor and rarely even spoke on the phone to his mother.  I am suggesting again you are picking the easiest solution for yourself without any real consideration for what would lake your nephew happy.

Debbie is too nice a person to threaten you.  I am not that nice.  I recently won custody of my own nephews.  They are close to Joe's age and where teenagers prefer to live weighs heavily in court decisions.  Your lawyer may advise you about the probable outcome of a custody case.  Ms Marcus is an experienced family law attorney and I can supply whatever cash is necessary for us to present a positive case.

A loving home with a well-known and admired community activist and her police detective companion or stuck in a boarding school against his will by his absent, uncaring uncle.  That could make for quite a compelling argument."

The uncle looked at his attorney who asked if they could confer privately.  Brian opened a side door to the adjoining conference room.  The two men went into the room and shut the door.

When they returned the uncle looked unhappy.

"I could make the case that Mrs Novotny is doing this for financial gain.  I am aware she works in a diner and does not make a large income.  I'm sure an investigation would show the money from Joe's mother's estate is a factor in her wanting custody."

Debbie leaped to her feet.

"I don't need any fucking money from you!  You can invest the money for Joe's future.  Carl and I have enough money to support him."

Brian chuckled.

"A witch hunt like that would really look bad for mister concerned journalist; if that were made public.  I can assure you it would be made public!"

"Fine!  If my nephew choses to live here In Pittsburgh instead of getting started on the right road for his future that is fine with me."

Melanie pushed some papers across the table to the other attorney.

"Here is a custody agreement for you to look over.  It includes a monthly stipend to cover Joe's expenses.  I also suggest he be enrolled on the Fort Pitt School.  The tuition is not cheap but it has a very open and accepting admittance policy.  Since Joe was bullied at his former school, Fort Pitt seems like a good option for him."

Melanie and the other lawyer moved to the end of the conference room table to adjust the custody agreement.  Melanie had emailed the document to Brain's admin, Carole, so once they agreed a final copy could be prepared and signed.

Brian sat back in his chair and observed Joe's Uncle who focused all his attention on his phone.

Debbie coerced Joe into a return trip to the refreshment table with her.  Carl stared at Joe's Uncle across the table and shook his head.

"Are you really not going to say anything to your orphaned nephew?  This boy has lost his mother, been abused by his stepfather and fended for himself in the streets.  You sit there looking at your damn phone, don't you have any feelings for your nephew?"

"Joe has obviously made his choice.  He is not interested in a relationship with me."

Brian was close enough to reach over and snatch the phone out of the man's hand.

"I am curious about a couple things.  Are you really going to act this childishly because Joe chose to not go along the plans you made for his life without any input from him?  I don't understand what relationship with you he would have while you flitted around the world and he was alone in a boarding school.  Maybe you can explain what that relationship entailed, no one else in this room quite understands it."

The newsman looked down the table at his lawyer who seemed to deliberately not look his way.  He looked back towards Brian.

"Again I really don't think my family is  any of your concern.  Just because we are meeting in your building doesn't give you any right to question my relationship with my nephew."

Brian just stared at him for several minutes.

"You are either one of the most screwed up people I have ever met or one of the most cold hearted.   Even if you don't care I think the less Joe has to do the better off he will be."

Brian stood up and looked over at Carl.  "Let me know if you need anything.  I think Mel can handle this."

He walked over to Debbie & Joe and put his hand briefly on Joe's shoulder.  He nodded toward Debbie.

 "Let me know if this one drives you too crazy.  I might have some helpful advice."

Debbie mouthed "Asshole" at Brian but had a smile on her face.  He stopped by the lawyers.

"Mel, I'll let Carole know that you'll need her to do some edits."

He reached down to shake the other lawyer's hand.  "Good luck."

As Brian headed to the door he dropped Joe's uncle's phone on the table in front of him.

"Good bye Shithead, hopefully we will never see each other again!"

When Brian got home that evening he gave Justin a big hug and kiss.

"Thanks Sunshine for never giving up on me.  I got a glimpse of what I could have become.  Joe's Uncle is an unfeeling son of a bitch.  That could have been who I became."

Justin smiled and gently put his hand on the side of his partner's face.

"Brian you were never unfeeling!  You just needed a little help letting those feeling show.  You were always ready to help the people you cared about."

At dinner John & Peter were a little surprised at how many questions Uncle Brian asked about school.  They both looked at Uncle Justin who seemed pleased that Uncle Brian was taking the lead at dinner conversation.  He had a huge smile on his face.

Chapter End Notes:

Sorry this update took so long!!