Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Holiday Happenings

 

This story is a sequel to "Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad".  You don't have to read that story first but this story will make more sense if you do. 

 

Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian's nephews.  This is how they I think they would celebrate fall & winter holidays. 

 

I don't own the characters just the situations.

 

Chapter 32

 

It was Monday morning, the holidays were over, and the Taylor-Kinney household was getting back into its regular routine.  Brian woke up when the alarm went off and untangled himself from Justin.  Justin rolled over onto his side of the bed and pulled a pillow over his head.

 

John & Peter woke up and started to get ready for school.  Alice & Charlie were awake, out in the cottage, and were enjoying breakfast together in their kitchen.

 

Brian lifted the pillow to give Justin a kiss good bye and received the normal grunt from his partner.  The timer ensured that coffee was ready for Brian to drink when he got down to the kitchen.  He made his wheat toast, drank his coffee and guava juice and left for the office.

 

A short time later Alice arrived in the kitchen and got to work making lunches for John & Peter.  She put a pot of oatmeal on the stove and cut up some fruit.  When John & Peter came downstairs their breakfast was ready.

 

The boys told her that the sheets from the guest rooms were all clean and in the linen closet on the second floor.  The cleaning service would come today and Alice would have sheets ironed and ready to go back on the beds.

 

Bill Gardner picked up John and Peter for school.  When he turned into the driveway he noticed a dark colored car parked down the road and thought that was strange.  When he pulled out of the driveway a short time later the car pulled out and followed him all the way to the Washington Academy. 

 

When Bill turned into the school parking lot the car continued down the road.   He waited while Josh, John & Peter were inside before he left the parking lot.  He saw a dark car in the parking lot of a diner down the road from the Academy but couldn't be sure it was the same car that had followed him.

 

On his drive to the hospital in Oakland, Bill kept thinking about the car being parked down the road from Brian & Justin's driveway.   He wondered why the car was there and why it seemed to follow his car to the boys' school.   Suddenly he remembered Josh talking about Peter's father suddenly appearing in the Sam's Club parking lot.  Josh said Peter was horrified by this man, he barely knew, wanting him & John to move to Alaska with him.

 

As soon as Bill arrived at work he called Justin's cell phone.  Justin had just arrived in the kitchen for breakfast when his cell rang.  When he answered, he was surprised to hear what Bill had to say about the car he encountered when taking the boys to school.  Justin thanked him and ended the call.  He turned to Alice who was watching him during the call.

 

"Alice, do you remember what color the car was that Ron Townsend and his cousin were driving at Sam's Club?"

 

Alice thought for a moment.

 

"It was either black or dark blue.  Why?"

 

Justin told him about his call with Bill Gardner and Alice was immediately alarmed.  Justin made her feel better when he said he was going to call Washington Academy and warn them about the possible appearance of Ron Townsend.  The school secretary assured Justin they would be on alert for anyone looking for John & Peter.  He asked her to get a message to John & Peter asking them to wait inside the school until they saw his car when he came to pick them up after school. 

 

A few hours later Ron Townsend walked into the office of Washington Academy.  One of the office staff came up to the counter and asked how she could help him.

 

"I need to see my sons, John and Peter Townsend, they go to school here."

 

The office worker pressed a button under the counter that alerted the headmaster's office that there was a possible issue in the front office.  Meanwhile she also typed some info into a computer.

 

"I'm sorry; I didn't recognize those names so I searched our student records and we don't have any students registered under those names."

 

"They might be registered under the name of Kinney but that isn't their real name."

 

The headmaster walked up to the counter.

 

"Hello.  I'm Norm Mooney.  I'm the headmaster here.  Could I see some Identification?"

 

Ron pulled out his wallet and handed Norm his Alaska Driver's License.

 

"Wow, you have come a long distance.  I heard you ask about John and Peter Kinney.  Why do you want to see them?"

 

"They are my sons.  As you said; I've come a long distance to see them.  I want to take them back home to Alaska to live with me.  I guess you know their mother is in prison."

 

Norm nodded his head.

 

"Yes.  Their Mother's involvement with a drug dealer and an attempted kidnapping was a pretty big news story in this area.  My understanding was the boys' father was not a part of their lives."

 

"When Claire and me got divorced the boys were young and they stayed with her.  When I found out about her getting sent to prison; I saved up enough money to come here and get my sons.  Claire's brother has been keeping them and for some reason they are using his last name but they belong with me!"

 

Norm nodded again.

 

"Well we have copies of the legal document that show John and Peter requested their last name be changed to Kinney.  Also the court ruling that gives permanent legal custody of the boys to Mr Kinney and his Partner, Mr Taylor.  That was done at the request of John and Peter."

 

"Well do you know that Brian is a faggot and that other guy is his boyfriend or whatever?  That is why I came for my boys I can't leave them with those two perverts."

 

The office worker took a deep breath and the frown on her face deepened.  Norm gave her a look and she rolled her eyes at him.  Norm tuned back to Ron.

 

"That is not a term we use here at Washington Academy but we are aware that Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor are homosexuals.  They don't make any secret of that fact.  The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania investigated them before John and Peter were placed in their care temporarily.  After their mother was imprisoned the boys asked Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor to petition the court for permanent custody and that was granted.  Neither the Commonwealth nor anyone here considers them perverts."

 

"I know the whole world is so PC these days.  However I don't want my sons turned into faggots or to be used by those two for who knows what sick shit.  I would think a school like this would be concerned about two innocent boys being abused!"

 

Now Norm frowned as he faced Ron Townsend.

 

"Well Mr Townsend we have no reason to believe John and Peter are being abused.  They are popular boys who are both doing quite well academically.  Peter actually does volunteer tutoring in the school library after classes.  John plays on the school soccer team.  Mr Kinney actually sponsored a summer soccer team and attended most if not all of John's games.

 

Both boys have a nice circle of friends.  I know Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor have actually become quite friendly with a couple of parents of the boys' friends.  The housekeeper and caretaker for their household are long time Washington County residents.  They are well known and well regarded in this county.  They see the interactions between the boys and their guardians every day.  No one has ever raised any concern about possible abuse since John and Peter came to live with their uncles."

 

"I demand that you allow me to see my sons!"

 

Norm took a deep breath.

 

"Mr Townsend I have no idea if you are indeed John and Peter's father.  What I do know, beyond any shadow of doubt, is that Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor are the boys' legal guardians.  The parents and guardians of every pupil in this school provide a list of people who are permitted access to their children. 

 

You are not on Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor's approved list.  Legally I cannot allow you to communicate with John and Peter Kinney.  If you feel you have legal grounds to oppose their guardianship I can only suggest you talk to a lawyer.  You need to leave the Academy grounds or I will call the police and have you removed."

 

Ron's face flushed with anger. 

 

"I can see you are well paid to keep my sons under the control of those two faggots.  I can't believe you are really not even going to let me talk to my sons!"

 

Norm turned to a woman sitting at a desk.

 

"Ms Prendegast please call the police and let them know we have a trespasser."

 

Ron told them that wouldn't be necessary and stormed out of the building.  The headmaster looked out the window and saw Ron Townsend get into the passenger side of a dark colored car which drove out the exit.

 

"Margie please call Justin Taylor and let him know about Mr Townsend's visit.  Thank him for giving us the heads up.  We need to let John and Peter know to report here to the office after school.  Oh, make sure Josh Gardner also gets that message."

 

Justin was in his studio when the school called.  He wasn't surprised to hear about Ron Townsend's visit but he was annoyed.  He called their lawyer about the possibility of getting a restraining order.   Larry thought it was a better idea to try and arrange a meeting with Ron and the boys.  He thought it was not a good idea to make it seem that Brian and Justin were trying to keep the boys away from Ron.

 

Justin could see the logic in what Larry suggested.  He decided he would discuss this with Brian and the boys tonight.  He knew it would not be a popular suggestion but maybe it would solve the whole Ron issue.

 

While he was thinking about fathers, Justin decided to call Craig and arrange a lunch meeting.  It was an awkward call and caused Justin to have second thoughts about the lunch.  They agreed to meet on Wednesday.  Justin hoped the actual lunch would be better than the call to set it up.

 

Brian & Ted walked down to the diner for lunch.   Brian was pleased that Debbie was busy with customers when they came inside.  That meant no bone crushing hug and sloppy kiss from her.   As usual when Brian appeared; the diner Manager managed to be busy elsewhere.  A happy Brian settled into a booth with Ted. 

 

"Hi Boys.  I hear the party at Babylon was great.  Michael is very excited to come to Kinnetik this afternoon and sign paperwork for his new job.  Brian, I can't thank you enough for helping Michael out."

 

Brian smirked at her.

 

"Well Mrs Novotny you are certainly in a good mood today.  I'll have my regular sandwich."

 

Debbie muttered; "Asshole" but the smile didn't leave her face.

 

Ted ordered spaghetti and meatballs.  Blake was working late tonight so he would be on his own for dinner, which meant it wouldn't be much.

 

When Debbie came back with their food she stood beside the booth, looked at Brian, started to say something but stopped.  She asked if their lunches were OK and both men said fine.  Debbie nodded.

 

Brian looked over at Debbie as she continued to stand beside the booth looking uncharacteristically nervous.

 

"For Fuck Sake, Deb spit it out."

 

"Joe's Uncle is supposed to be here on Thursday.  I thought maybe it would be good if we could meet at Kinnetik.  It's classy.  It will impress the Uncle.  Mel is coming and Carl is coming with me and Joe.  I want the Uncle to know I have successful friends."

 

Brian smiled. 

 

"No problem.  I'll reserved one of the first floor meeting rooms.  I'll even spring for "classy" refreshments.  What's the big deal about meeting the kid's uncle?"

 

Debbie still looked nervous.

 

"Well... I've been talking to Carl and we think Joe should stay with us.  I don't want him shoved off to some fucking boarding school.  The kid just lost his mother and got beat up by his stepfather.  He ran away and has been on the streets.  I want him to know someone cares about him!  Carl said he'd go along with whatever I wanted.  He and Joe talk together a lot.  I think the kid trusts us.  He fucking needs to know someone cares about him."

 

Brian smiled.

 

"You must be dynamite in the sack Ma.  You've got Carl wrapped around your finger."

 

Debbie and Ted both blushed and Brian roared with laughter.  Debbie hurried to wait on other customers.

 

After lunch they walked back to Kinnetik and arrived just as Michael was getting off the bus.   He yelled Brian's name and hurried across the street.

 

They exchanged greetings before going into the building.  Michael asked where they were coming back from.  Brian answered.

 

"We were just at the diner for lunch Mikey."

 

"Wow isn't it great that the three of us can have lunch together every day now!"

 

Ted rolled his eyes; Brian shrugged.

 

"Mikey we don't go to lunch every day.  It depends on our schedules and I sometimes have lunch with customers.  You'll have to see what your lunch schedule is.  Usually the newbies get early lunch."

 

Michael looked shocked.

 

"Brian you can tell them to give me whatever lunch time works best for you.  That way if you are in the office we can have lunch together."

 

Ted shook his head.

 

"Michael do you ever listen when people talk to you.  I know Brian and Cynthia were both clear about what the job entailed and that you shouldn't expect special treatment."

 

"Well Ted it seems like you can go to lunch whenever you want.  I don't see why Brian can't give me the same privileges as you.  I am his BEST friend."

 

Brian put his hands on Michael's shoulders and looked directly into his face.

 

"Mikey!  Being friends has nothing to do with lunch schedules.  Ted is the CFO, he runs a department.  You are going to be one of the receptionists.  Lunches have to be scheduled to be sure there is always adequate coverage at the front desk.

 

I told you this, Cynthia told you this.  Ted is absolutely correct; you have to listen when you are told things.  Cynthia is not going to give you any special treatment.  I am telling you right now; you can never come to me to override anything Cynthia tells you.  This is my business; friendship really doesn't enter into it. 

 

Kinnetik needs Cynthia way more than a receptionist.  You have to understand this is a starter position and you have to be prepared to deal with that."

 

Michael looked like a puppy whose owner just smacked him with a newspaper.  If he thought that would get Brian to soften, he was wrong.

 

"Mikey you look unhappy.  If this isn't something you can deal with we can just call this off now.  I made this offer to help you out but if it makes you unhappy there's no sense moving forward."

 

Now Michael looked panicked.

 

"I have to have a job.  I understand, no problem."

 

Brian nodded and smiled.  Ted was behind Michael and his face showed that he has his doubts about how this would work out.  The three of them went inside.

 

Ted and Brian headed towards the stairs to the second floor and Michael walked along with them.  Brian turned to him.

 

"Mikey, you need to go check in at reception so they can let Cynthia and Patti know you are here."

 

With another sad puppy look Michael changed direction and walked over to the reception desk.  He spent the next couple hours filling out forms, providing information and learning about his new job.

 

When Mikey was done meeting with Patti in HR; he made his way to Brian's office.  Cynthia was at Carole's desk going over information about upcoming presentations.  Both women looked up as Michael approached.

 

Cynthia smiled faintly.

 

"Is there something you need from me Michael?"

 

Michael shook his head.

 

"No.  I just thought I would say hello to Brian before I left."

 

Cynthia's smile disappeared.

 

"Brian is in a meeting.  He can't be disturbed."

 

"I just want to say a quick hello."

 

Cynthia came over to stand between Michael and the office door.

 

"Michael!  I am going to tell you this one last time.  Kinnetik is a place of business.  It is not Woody's or Babylon; no one come here to just socialize.  Brian is meeting with Greg and some other art department employees about one of our most important customers.  He can NOT be disturbed."

 

Michael wanted to say something in reply but just nodded his head and headed out of the building.

 

Cynthia turned back to Carole.

 

"You are going to have to keep your eye in him.  Michael Novotny has no special privileges and does not have a free pass to Brian's office."

 

Carole nodded.  She was not anxious to have to deal with Michael.

 

Later in the day when Justin pulled out of the driveway on his way to Washington Academy, he looked down the road looking for a dark car.  He was pleased to not see any car parked where Bill Gardner had seen it that morning.

 

Justin kept checking the rear view mirror as he drove to the school.  Alice had lobbied hard for Charlie to accompany Justin on the school pickup but he assured her he could handle Ron Townsend if he decided to show up.  So Justin was checking to see if he spotted a dark car or Charlie's truck following him.

 

He pulled into the Academy driveway and joined the lineup of cars waiting to pick up students.  Justin relaxed; there was no way Ron could sneak into this car lineup without being noticed.  Brian hated school pickup which he compared to a battleground with no one was prepared to give up their position without a fight.

 

When Justin got close to the school building he saw John, Peter & Josh emerge from the main entrance and start down the steps to the driveway.  Suddenly he saw two men jump out from the shrubbery beside the building.  The men ran towards the boys.

 

Justin muttered "Fuck this!" as he put the SUV in park, turned it off and got out.  He looked over and saw John standing his ground and arguing with a man that Justin assumed was Ron Townsend.

 

Before Justin could get to the boys, two mothers were out of their cars demanding to know who Ron and his cousin were and why were they harassing these boys.  The cousin gave them a smartass remark and was rewarded with a large shoulder bag to the side of his head. 

 

Justin wasn't sure what was in the handbag but Ron's cousin was brought to his knees by the hit.  John shoved his father back and Ron joined his cousin on the ground.   Another mother got out of her car carrying a baseball bat.

 

As Justin hurried over he could hear the bat carrying mother warning the two men to stay down.  He could hear police sirens getting closer which probably meant someone inside the school had called the Washington City police.  John, Peter and Josh were now surrounded by friends and other curious students.

 

Norm Mooney emerged from the school with a security guard.  When Justin reached the boys, John greeted him with a smirk that was identical to Brian's.  John pointed down to the man sitting on the ground.

 

"Uncle Justin, this is Ron Townsend.  The man responsible for half our DNA."

 

Justin recognized one of the women as Mrs Anton, mother of Patrice and Bill.  He smiled at her as he thanked all three women for their help.  He assured them that he had the situation under control.

 

The mothers got back in their cars and Ron and his cousin got to their feet.  They seemed pretty intimidated by the security guards who had his Taser in his hand.

 

Ron looked at John.

 

"Why are you calling this guy Uncle?  He is no relation of yours!"

 

Peter was the one who answered.

 

"Uncle Justin loves us and takes care of us with Uncle Brian.  They have done more for us than you ever have.  Why don't you just go back to Alaska since we want nothing to do with you?"

 

"Peter, I know I haven't been a great Dad but that is all done with.  I know we can all be happy in Alaska.  You have a new mother and a brother and sister who are anxious to meet you and John."

 

John groaned and rolled his eyes.

 

"Well I can assure you that we have no interest in going to Alaska with you or meeting your NEW family.  We prefer to stay here with Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin."

 

The police arrived and Norm Mooney explained that these two men were trespassing on Academy property and harassing three students.  Ron went into his father just trying to rescue his sons routine but the police put more faith in what Norm was telling them than this stranger.

 

Justin spoke up.

 

"Mr Townsend, this can't go on.  You can't keep turning up and bothering John and Peter.  Let's get together and talk about this situation.  We can meet at the Kinnetik offices tomorrow at one o'clock."

 

Ron agreed to meet with Brian and Justin.

 

Norm was happy to tell the police that he didn't want to press charges.  Justin got the boys in the car and drove off.

 

After they dropped off Josh at his house, Justin assured a slightly nervous looking John & Peter than there was no chance they would wind up in Alaska with Ron.  He was sure that once he and Brian explained the situation to Ron he would give up and head back to his home.

 

John pointed out that Ron must be running low on money.  Justin agreed but he thought this was lining up to be an annoying week.  Meeting with Ron Townsend on Tuesday and lunch with Craig Taylor on Wednesday.  Justin also thought that Brian would blow his top when he told him about inviting Ron to meet with them.

 

When they got home Justin and the nephews had Alice and Charlie laughing when they told them about the three mothers attacking Ron and his cousin.  The laughter stopped when Justin told them about meeting with Ron at Kinnetik.  Alice rolled her eyes and Charlie said he wouldn't want to be the one delivering that news to Brian.  John and Peter looked apprehensively to Justin who just shrugged and said to let him worry about Uncle Brian and his reaction to the meeting.

 

Alice decided that this was a good day for the boys to eat dinner early.  She suggested they stay out of sight until Justin had a chance to calm Brian down.  John and Peter smiled when they agreed that was a good plan.

 

After their dinner, John & Peter retreated to their rooms to do homework or so they said.  Justin knew they were anxious to avoid the blowup they expected from Uncle Brian.   Having listened to Cynthia bitch about Michael for the most of the day Brian headed home early.

 

He called Justin's cell as he left the Kinnetik garage.

 

When Brian walked into the kitchen he spotted Justin curled up in a chair by the family room fireplace, sketching.  Brian smiled as he walked toward his partner.  His Sunshine was oblivious to the world around him when he was concentrating on his sketching.  He also noticed a small table in front of the fire set for two.

 

Brian had almost reached Justin's chair when the blond looked up.  When he saw Brian, Justin flashed a sunshine smile and stood up so Brian could hug him close.   After a few kisses, Justin leaned back slightly.

 

"You made good time.   The oven's preheated so I just have to stick the vegetables in there and get the pan hot so I can sear the tuna steaks."

 

Brian smiled as he leaned down and delivered one more kiss to Justin's soft pink lips.

 

"I'll go get changed and be right back down to help."

 

Brian came down in time to turn the vegetables halfway thru their cooking while Justin seared the marinated tuna steaks.  This was one of Brian's favorite dinners and eating it alone with his partner in front of the fire made it all the more enjoyable.

 

After they finished dinner and cleanup they curled up together on the sofa in front of the fire with their glasses of wine.

 

Brian told Justin about how annoying Cynthia had been about having to deal with Michael.  Justin listened quietly and secretly thought Cynthia had every right to complain.  When he was done Brian asked how Justin's day had been.

 

"Funny you should ask.  Bill Gardner took the boys to school this morning.  He noticed a dark colored car following him to the Academy and called me to let me know.  I called the school to put them on alert.  I also called Larry Buchanan and asked about getting a restraining against Ron Townsend.

 

Larry thought we should try and meet with Ron and try to reason with him.  Ron did turn up at school and tried to let them see the boys.  He also showed up when I went to pick them up this afternoon."

 

A concerned Brian interrupted Justin.

 

"Did he threaten you?  What happened?  We can hire security if that son of a bitch threatened you!"

 

Justin smiled and gave his lover a quick kiss.

 

"Three of the Moms in cars in front of me in line attached Ron and his cousin when they ran up to the boys.  One of them threatened them with a baseball bat.  By the time Norm Mooney came out of school with a security guard they had Ron and the cousin on the ground."

 

Brian started to laugh.  "Did anyone happen to record that?"

 

Justin chuckled.  "I don't think so.  The first Mom out of her car was Mrs Anton.  Patrice and Bill's mother.  Ron didn't stand a chance!  Lucky for him the police arrived before the mothers' could lynch him."

 

Brian shrugged.

 

"I guess we do need to sit down and talk with him.  I'm sure he is going to ask for money."

 

Justin nodded.

 

"I agree we need to meet with him.  That is why I arranged a meeting at Kinnetik for tomorrow at one o'clock.  We aren't going to give him any money!"

 

Brian pulled Justin close.

 

"Agreed, no money to Ron Townsend.  Sounds like we've both had a rough day.  We should turn in early and get a good night's rest."

 

Justin smiled.

 

"That sounds like a good plan to me.  Let's go up the back stairs so we can say goodnight to John and Peter."

 

Brian stood up and pulled Justin to his feet.

 

"Whatever you say Honey."

 

Justin just chuckled as they turned off the lights and set the alarm before heading upstairs.