Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Holiday Happenings

 

This story is a sequel to "Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad".  You don't have to read that story first but this story will make more sense if you do.

 

Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian's nephews.  This is how they I think they would celebrate fall & winter holidays. 

 

I don't own the characters just the situations.

 

Chapter 27

 

Brian went back to his office, his good mood had disappeared.  He picked up the phone to call Justin but put it down immediately.  No sense in getting Justin all worked up.  Brian decided that telling his partner about Ron Townsend's sudden appearance could wait until they got home.

 

Brian got to work on the Brown Athletics campaign using that to take his mind off his ex-brother-in-law.   He did take a short break to email his lawyer to let him know about Ron showing up unexpectedly and wanting to assume custody of John & Peter.

 

Larry responded quickly that he thought Ron's being an absentee father would be a big barrier to him getting custody of John & Peter.  The lawyer let Brian know that the most important factor was how the boys felt about the situation.  Any custody judge would put a lot of weight in who John & Peter wanted to live with.

 

Brian frowned as he read the reply email.  He wasn't sure how the boys would feel about the return of their father.  Brian did know that his Sunshine would have an issue with John & Peter disappearing from their lives.  It would also be difficult for Gus to deal with his cousins no longer being in his life.

 

*************************************************************************************

 

Justin & Lindsay worked hard on Gus's mural, they were very pleased with their progress.  Justin was anxious to leave for home before rush hour began.  He was quite specific about what Lindsay could work on and what he wanted to do himself.  He would be back the next morning.

 

Gus gave him a big hug goodbye and told him he loved him.  JR and Nina both gave Uncle Jus good bye kisses.  He called John & Peter before backing out of the driveway to let them know he was on the way home.   John let him know that Alice & Charlie had arrived home, delayed for two days by the big snow storm.  He also told Justin that he made chicken cacciatore for dinner.  Justin was delighted with both those news items.

 

When Justin got home, he first went to the cottage to say welcome home to Alice & Charlie.  They had enjoyed their Christmas with their daughter and her family but were happy to be home.  Charlie had seen the downed trees and heard the story of what happened from John & Peter.  He let Justin know he had already contacted someone to come and cut up the trees and stack the wood.

 

Justin told Alice to take the next day to relax but she informed him she would be back at work the next day.  Justin just laughed as he left for the main house.

 

When Justin entered the kitchen he was greeted by the delicious aroma of John's chicken cacciatore.  He called out a hello and John & Peter appeared from the media room.

 

Justin told John that dinner smelled great.  Peter let him know that the house cleaners had come on schedule and he had made sure they didn't slack off since Alice wasn't there to oversee them.  Justin smiled and said that Alice had Peter well trained.

 

Justin said he was going up to change and the nephews went back to the media room to continue their video game.  Both boys were pleased by Uncle Justin's praise although John would never admit that fact.

 

When Brian got home he found his nephews in the media room and asked where Justin was.  They told him that Uncle Justin was in the study.  John & Peter could tell that something was bothering Brian.  They looked at each other, as Brian hurried out of the room, and shrugged.  They figured they would find out soon enough what was bothering their uncle.

 

Justin looked up from his laptop with a smile when the study door opened.  His smile widened when he saw Brian.  He was a little surprised that Brian was still in his work clothes.  He normally changed as soon as he got home.  When Justin looked more closely he could see that something had Brian upset.

 

Justin's first thought was something had happened with Eden and their babies but he realized he would have probably heard that before Brian.  His next thought was something had happened to his mother or Debbie.

 

"Brian!  What's wrong?"

 

Brian closed the door behind him and walked to the cabinet where the Beam was kept.  He quickly pushed in the code to unlock the door.  Justin came quickly across the room.

 

"Tell me what's wrong?"

 

Brian poured some Beam in a glass and took a quick swallow.

 

"I had a visitor at Kinnetic this afternoon."

 

"Who was it and what did they do to upset you?"

 

Brian took a second swallow and started to pour more into the glass but Justin put his hand on Brian's arm to stop him.

 

"Just tell me, it can't be worse than I am imagining."

 

"It was Ron Townsend."

 

At first the name meant nothing to Justin, he looked up at Brian who rolled his eyes.

 

"Claire's ex-husband.  John and Peter's father."

 

Justin was amazed.

 

"What the fuck did he want and where has he been for all these years?"

 

"He says he lives in Alaska.  He got married again and has a couple more kids."

 

Justin was exasperated having to drag this info bit by bit from Brian.

 

"Well he didn't come all the way from Alaska just to bring you up to date on his life.  What did he say that has you so upset?"

 

Brian pulled Justin over to the sofa and sat down dragging Justin with him.

 

"I already talked to our lawyer so I don't want you to get upset."

 

Justin sat back on the sofa and looked into Brian's face.

 

"He wants custody of the boys, doesn't he?"

 

"Yes.  He took a fucking bus across the country.  He apparently doesn't have much money.  He says a cousin told him about Claire getting sent to prison.  He needed to save money to make the trip."

 

Justin nodded.

 

"What did Larry say about their father's chances on getting custody of John and Peter?"

 

"He said a lot would depend on who John and Peter want to live with.  I guess we'll have to talk to them.  Maybe we should wait until after dinner."

 

Justin shook his head.

 

"No.  You go change your clothes.  When you come down we'll talk with John and Peter.  We need to get this settled."

 

Brian nodded before leaning over and giving Justin a kiss and telling, his close to freaking out, partner.

 

"John and Peter are happy here."

 

Justin replied with a worried look on his face.

 

"Yeah they are but he is their father.  We have to accept whatever they want to do."

 

Brian started to say something else but he could see the tears gathering in the corner of Justin's eyes so he quickly left the room.

 

Brian took his time getting changed.  He was not anxious to return to the study.  He hated when Justin was upset especially when he couldn't do anything about what was upsetting his Sunshine.

 

He was relieved when he got downstairs and Justin seemed indignant.  Brian liked a Justin ready to fight as long as it wasn't directed his way.  Justin's blue eyes were dry and blazing.

 

"My mother called to talk about New Year's Eve.  She could tell I was upset so I told her about your visitor.  She is furious!   If she knew where Ron Townsend was I think I might have to call the police to protect him.  Mom made me realize we have to fight for John and Peter and we have a lot of people on our side."

 

Brian chuckled.

 

"I keep telling you that Mother Taylor is scary."

 

Justin rewarded Brian with a full blown sunshine smile and a kiss.

 

"Okay stud, let's go talk to our nephews and see what they think about their father suddenly showing up."

 

Brian started over to get a reinforcing drink of Beam but Justin shook his head and Brian instead walked toward the door.  He glanced over at Justin and was rewarded with the return of his smile.

 

They walked down the hall with Brian's arm draped on Justin's shoulders.  When they walked into the media room John & Peter looked up from their game.  John pushed the pause button and both boys turned their attention to their uncles.

 

Justin did his best to look positive but John & Peter could tell something was up.  Brian finally spoke.

 

"I had a visitor at Kinnetik today.  It was your father.  He lives in Alaska now.  When he heard about Claire going to prison he saved some money to make the trip back here."

 

Brian paused for a second and an angry looking John spoke up.

 

"What does that son of a bitch want?"

 

Peter kept looking between his brother and his uncles.

 

"I don't even really remember him.  Why would he come back to Pittsburgh just because Mom got put in jail?"

 

Brian squeezed Justin's shoulder which caused the blond to roll his eyes but he did continue with the news Brian did not want to deliver.

 

"Your father told Uncle Brian that he wants you to live with him in Alaska.  He is remarried and apparently you have two younger siblings.  Sorry but we don't know if they are boys or girls.

 

Uncle Brian didn't ask many questions.  Your father took a lot of trouble to come and see you guys.  He had to take a ferry to Washington State and came the rest of the way by bus."

 

John shook his head.

 

"All that means is he still doesn't have any money.  I don't even want to see him.  Tell him to just get back on the bus and head back to Alaska.  He hasn't paid any attention to us for ten years.  Does he really think we are going to be happy to see him now?"

 

Peter seemed even angrier than his brother.

 

"I don't even really know this man.  He left when I was like two years old.  He abandoned us, never even sent us a birthday card.  Why would he think we want to live with him now?  We would have to leave all our friends and family to live in Alaska with him and his new family.  I am not going to do that."

 

Brian spoke up.

 

"I told him that Uncle Justin and I have legal custody of you.  Ron said he was going to talk to a lawyer."

 

John nodded.

 

"Did you talk to your lawyer yet?'

 

Justin was impressed that John & Peter felt secure enough to not even question that he and Brian would fight for them to stay.

 

"Yeah. I called him.  He said that a big factor would be where you and Peter wanted to live.  Ron is your biological father.  That could be a big factor in his favor if we go to court.  He hasn't paid any support or contacted you for ten years and that would be a huge negative."

 

Peter glanced at his brother.

 

"We want to stay here with you.  I don't even want to meet Mr Townsend.  He is not my father."

 

John agreed.

 

Brian had a wry smile on his face.

 

"Well I don't even know how to contact Ron.  I didn't spend much time with him.  I guess he or his lawyer will contact me and we'll go from there.  As long as you guys are ready to say you want to stay here with us, I don't think we have too much to worry about."

 

Justin spoke up.

 

"Well John has made a delicious dinner for us so I say we go eat that and forget all about Ron Townsend until he contacts us again."

 

They headed to the kitchen to put the finishing touches on dinner.  All four of them were determined to enjoy dinner and put Ron Townsend out of their minds.

 

After dinner they all went down to the game room for a ping pong tournament which Brian & Justin won. They all laughed a lot and no one mentioned Ron Townsend.  Later in their room Brain & Justin had amazing sex and refused to even think about Ron Townsend

 

************************************************************************************

 

The next day, Joan Kinney had only been home from morning Mass a short time when her doorbell rang.  She looked through the door at the man standing on the front step.  She slid the security chain on before opening the door.

 

"Can I help you?"

 

"Mrs Kinney, it's Ron Townsend.  Don't you recognize me?"

 

Joan was shocked.  She knew that voice and now she did recognize her ex son-in-law.  What she didn't understand is what he was doing at her house or where he had been all these years.

 

Joan shut the door and removed the chain.  She fully opened the door and Ron stepped onto the enclosed porch.

 

"Ron it's been years.  What are you doing in Pittsburgh?"

 

"Well I heard about Claire being in jail.  Once of my cousins wrote me.  I also know my sons have been living with Brian and his friend.  I came to take John and Peter back to Alaska to live with me."

 

Joan turned and led the way into the house.  She sat in her chair and motioned for Ron to sit on the couch.  Ron recognized it as the same couch that was in this room when he and Claire started dating.

 

"Well Ron, you told me why you are in Pittsburgh but I'm still curious about why you are here in my house."

 

"I went to see Brian at his company yesterday.  I told him that my sons belong with me.  I don't want him making faggots out of John and Peter.  He told me that he has legal custody of my boys."

 

Joan nodded.

 

"Yes I was in the courtroom when that ruling was made.  Between Brian's money and his housekeeper & caretaker's political influence in Washington Township he was able to get what he wanted.  The judge in the case actually threatened me!

 

You are going to need a good lawyer if you hope to gain custody of my grandsons.  I hope you've saved all that support money you never sent to my daughter."

 

Ron never had liked Claire's mother very much.  Old Jack was easier to get along with.

 

"Unfortunately I don't have a lot of money for a lawyer.  I went to legal aid after I left Kinnetik yesterday but they weren't very hopeful about my chances."

 

The lawyer there has actually told Ron he was probably liable to pay back all the past support that was agreed to in the divorce and custody agreement he & Claire had signed.

 

Joan sat quietly just looking at Ron.  Now she had a good idea why he had shown up at her door.

 

"Mrs Kinney, I know you are concerned about John and Peter.  I was hoping we could combine forces and get them away from Brian and his friend.  I hate thinking about my sons growing up in that household.  I can't even imagine what they are being subject to living with those two perverts."

 

"I think what you mean is that you are hoping I will bankroll your attempt to gain custody of my grandsons.  I am not completely certain that living with their deadbeat father in Alaska would be better for them or not. 

 

I absolutely do not approve of Brian's lifestyle but I must admit that John and Peter seem happy living there.  I spent some time living in a separate apartment there, while recovering from an injury, I saw John and Peter every day.  They are being sent to a very good school.  What would their life be like with you?  Do you, at least, have your own home?"

 

Joan folded her arms and glared at Ron, she did not like anyone trying to take advantage of her.

 

"Well Ma'am I am happily married now.  My wife and I have a son and a daughter.  We don't live in a mansion but we have a nice home.  There is some unfinished attic space that I think the boys and I could convert to a great bedroom for them."

 

Joan stood up.

 

"I don't think we have anything to discuss.  You have demonstrated that you are not a reliable father.  Whatever failings Brian and Justin have they have proven that John and Peter can rely on them.  I can hardly believe that I find myself defending them but you are obviously a worse choice to have custody of my grandsons."

 

Ron stood up.

 

"I have to tell you, Mrs Kinney, that I am pretty shocked by your attitude."

 

Joan smiled.

 

"I find it hard to believe that you are attempting to come across as a concerned father.  In reality you have ignored your sons for ten years.  You have not contributed a penny to their support.  Your plan is to move them back to Alaska to live with strangers and sleep in an attic.

 

I cannot bring myself to support or contribute to your flawed ideas.  My suggestions is just go back to your home in Alaska and try and to establish some line of communication with John and Peter."

 

Ron's response to Joan was to walk out of the house without saying anything.

 

Joan sat back down and thought about the fact that she had just sort of defended Brian as a better guardian for her grandchildren.  Ron was just so abysmal Joan didn't believe he was a good choice to raise John & Peter.

 

Outside Ron was disappointed.  Knowing how religious & homophobic Joan Kinney was, he was sure she would be on his side and provide much needed financial support.

 

He started the long walk back to his cousin's house feeling very discouraged but not ready to head back home.

 

*************************************************************************************

 

Brian woke up at his normal time and got ready to go to work.  He smiled when he came back into the bedroom and saw Justin with the pillow over his face.  He thought about how much this morning ritual amused him, immediately followed by the thought of how lame that first thought was.

 

He put all thoughts out of his mind when he went over to the bed, lifted the pillow and kissed his lover's soft pink lips.  He got the usual good morning grunt from Justin and replaced the pillow.

 

Brian went down the stairs and into the kitchen with a smile on his face.  He was surprised to see Alice already in the kitchen.  She had a pad and pen in her hand as she perused the contents of the refrigerator.

 

"Good morning Alice.  You getting an early start this morning."

 

"Good morning Brian.  Well tomorrow is New Year's Eve.  I making sure we have enough food and snacks for tomorrow night.  I've already checked the pantry.  We'll have a houseful of kids and teens."

 

Brian chuckled.

 

"Luckily I will be somewhere else."

 

Alice joined in the laughter.

 

"Well I'm going to make a run to Sam's club today.  I'll take John and Peter to help."

 

The mention of John & Peter reminded Brian to bring Alice up to date on the reappearance of Ron Townsend.  As he suspected Alice was outraged by Ron coming back to town after 10 years and thinking he should have custody of John & Peter.

 

Brian started to get his breakfast but was ordered to just sit at the counter.  Alice already had the wheat bread in the toaster so she just pushed it down.  She poured a mug of coffee and placed that and the sugar bowl in front of Brian before taking a glass of guava juice from the refrigerator.

 

After he ate Brian gave a surprised Alice a kiss on the cheek and left for Kinnetik.

 

An hour later Justin appeared in the kitchen, followed shortly by John & Peter.  Alice got busy making waffles for breakfast.  Justin stuck a tray of bacon into the oven.  John asked Alice if she knew about their father showing up in Pittsburgh and Alice said that Brian had brought her up to date.

 

Peter surprised them all by vehemently stating that he would never live with Ron Townsend and there was no one in the world who could make him.   John agreed with his brother and Justin turned to Alice with a smile on his face.

 

Around 9 AM Justin left for mural painting with Lindsay.  He was pleased that she has not done anything other than the work they had agreed upon.  Mel had the day off so she had kid duty.  She was taking Gus & JR to an exhibit at the Carnegie-Mellon Museum.  Michael & Ben were going to meet them there. 

 

*************************************************************************************

 

Ron and his cousin sat at the kitchen table, after the cousin's wife had served them lunch, discussing how Ron could make contact with his sons.  The cousin had been able to discover where Brian & Justin's house was located.  The basic address information has been part of the story of the unsuccessful kidnapping of Justin.  One of the cousin's co-workers had family in Washington Township and had supplied the exact location of the house.

 

Both men were convinced that Brian had not told John & Peter that their father had returned to Pittsburgh.  Ron was sure if his sons knew that he wanted them to live with him they would be thrilled.  He imagined they had always missed him.  He felt bad about that but it was really Claire's fault for being such a bitch and demanding Ron pay all that support.  He was anxious to make it up to his boys and finally be able to be a real father to them.

 

Ron's wife was not as anxious as he was to suddenly have two teenagers descend on her household.  Ron convinced her that the boys would provide a lot of help around the house and babysitting their younger brother & sister.  He also pointed out that in a couple years John would be old enough to work full time and provide added income that they could really use.

 

Ron and his cousin decided the best plan was to just drive down to Washington and appear at Brian's house.  Ron was certain the boys would be happy to leave with him.

 

*************************************************************************************

 

At the house Alice was feeling a little uneasy about Ron Townsend being back in Pittsburgh.  She told Charlie about it and they decided to keep the gate closed.  That way there wouldn't be any unexpected visitors showing up at the front door.

 

Charlie and Chuck were busy cutting some of the smaller branches off the downed trees.  They cut the branches into fireplace sized logs.  John, Peter and David, Chuck's son, were helping by stacking the cut logs.  The major cleanup would wait for the landscapers to do after New Years.

 

Alice prepared lunch for all of them.  After lunch she told Charlie he had done enough work for today.  She gave her son & grandson each a kiss and sent them back to the farm.  Alice informed John & Peter that she needed them to go to Sam's Club to help carry her purchase.  Everyone knew better than to argue with the established Queen of the household.

 

Ron and his cousin had been surprised by the closed gate at the foot of the driveway.  They drove down the road to where it widened, turned the car around and pulled off on the shoulder.  They could see the gate from here and decided to wait until someone left the drive.  Once the gate was open, they could drive up to the house.

 

A short time later they saw Chuck's pickup pull out of the driveway.  Once the truck had passed them, Ron's cousin drove up to the driveway but the gate had already closed.  The cousin drove back to where they had been parked.  The two men discussed what to do and decided to wait half an hour to see if there was any opportunity to drive up to the house.

 

Twenty minutes later Alice's car turned out onto the road.  Ron could see there were three people in the car but couldn't see who those people were.  They decided to follow the car.  Alice, John & Peter paid no attention to the car following behind them.  They were busy discussing plans for the next night when Alice & Charlie, Grandmom Jen & Tucker along with Debbie & Carl would supervise a houseful of young people for New Year's Eve.

 

Ron could see there were three people in the car his cousin was following.   They followed the car in the parking lot at Sam's Club and watched as Alice, John & Peter got out of the car.  Ron's cousin pulled into a parking spot in the same aisle and they waited for the threesome to come back out of the store.

 

Their plan was for Ron to walk down and confront his sons.  His cousin would drive down and block their car while Ron talked to his sons about leaving with him.

 

Alice and the boys never noticed anything amiss outside and were laughing and making their way through the store.  Alice was trying her best to stick with snacks that had some nutritional value but pretended not to notice when John or Peter threw some pure junk food into the carts.

 

Alice also kept in mind that there would be adults at the house for New Year's Eve so she got some Dungeness crab legs and shrimp for appetizers.  Since it was a tradition to eat pork & sauerkraut on New Year's Day for good luck in the coming year, Alice also bought sauerkraut.  She had ordered pork roasts from the butcher.

 

John, Peter & Alice came out of the store all still smiling and talking about plans for the next night and which snacks John & Peter wanted served first.

 

Ron spotted them and quickly got out of the car and walked down to where Alice had parked.  Alice and the boys didn't notice him until he was right beside them.

 

"John, Peter.  It's Dad!"

 

Both boys turned quickly to look at this man standing beside them.  John recognized him but Peter wasn't sure who it was.  Alice immediately placed herself between Ron and the boys.

 

Ron could see that John looked angry and Peter just looked confused.  He had been sure both boys would be glad to see him.

 

Alice spoke first.

 

"Mr Townsend, you need to keep your distance."

 

"I don't know who you are lady but you have no right to keep me away from my sons.  They belong with me."

 

Alice made a noise of disgust.

 

"It's about time you remembered you had sons.  Where have you been for the last ten years when these boys needed you?"

 

Before Ron could say anything John spoke up.

 

"Alice is the Uncles' housekeeper.  She's right, you disappear for ten years and now suddenly you are interested in us, what a joke!"

 

"I went to see Brian yesterday to let him know that when I heard about your mother going to jail I saved up for the trip to come here.  I'm ready for you both to come and live with me."

 

Ron's cousin had pulled his car behind Alice's and now got out to stand beside Ron.  Peter remembered the attempted kidnapping earlier this year and felt panicked.  He took his cell phone out of his pocket and dialed 911.  The emergency operator quickly answered and asked what his emergency was.

 

"This is Peter Kinney.  I'm in the parking lot at Sam's Club in Washington and a man is trying to make my brother and I go with him.  He says he is our father but our father deserted us ten years ago."

 

The operator said she was dispatching sheriff's deputies to his location and said to stay on the line.

 

Ron thought maybe the police coming was a good thing. He addressed Alice.

 

"Listen Lady.  You need to stop interfering with my sons and me.  You'll be in trouble when the police get here."

 

Alice took a step towards Ron.

 

"I know that Brian and Justin has legal custody of these boys.  You are going to be the one in trouble when the deputies arrive.  You just stay away from John and Peter."

 

Ron's cousin joined the conversation.

 

"Back off Lady or you'll be sorry.  Fathers have legal rights where their kids are concerned."

 

John stood beside Alice.

 

"I have no idea who you are but don't you dare threaten Alice.  Our father forgot all about us for ten years.  He has no rights left."

 

Ron was confused.  He was so sure his sons would be happy to see him.  John looked furious and Peter kept asking for the police to hurry.

 

"John, I never wanted to leave you and Peter.  Your mother was the problem.  I don't like to trash talk her but Claire could be a real bitch and your grandmother is worse.  I just couldn't take it anymore.  I just had to get away from them."

 

John let out a grim chuckle.

 

"And left Peter and I to deal with them alone.  You are not helping your case.  Mom may be a bitch but you are a loser asshole."

 

Ron frowned.

 

"You don't get to talk to me like that boy.  Whatever I've done, I am still your father.  Don't you forget that!"

 

"Like you forgot all about Peter and Me?"

 

A small crowd had gathered which made Ron & his cousin nervous.  The crowd's sympathy seemed to be against them.  When the two sheriff's cars pulled up the two men felt better.

 

Peter told the 911 operator that the Sheriff Deputies had arrived and hung up.

 

Two deputies got out of one car while another deputy stayed in his car and on the radio.  The first deputy out of the car came over to stand between Alice & John and Ron & his cousin.

 

"Hello Mrs Simpson.  Can you tell me what is going on here?"

 

An outraged Ron spoke up.

 

"Officer!  I am Ron Townsend and these are my sons John & Peter Townsend.  This woman is preventing me from talking to my sons."

 

The second deputy turned to Ron.

 

"You'll get your chance but for now just be quiet."

 

Alice smiled at the deputy.

 

"These boys are John and Peter Kinney.  My employers Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor have legal custody of the boys.  Their father has not had any contact with John and Peter or paid any support in ten years.  The boys do not want to have anything to do with him."

 

John spoke up.

 

"That's right sir.  My father has just shown up suddenly and feels like Peter and I should be happy to see him.  He has ignored us for ten years.  We are happy living with our uncles and want nothing to do with Ron Townsend."

 

The deputy looked at Peter who nodded.

 

"I'm Peter Kinney.  I called 911 when this man who says he is my father started harassing us."

 

The deputy frowned.

 

"Is he your father or isn't he?"

 

Peter shrugged.

 

"He says he is and my brother seems to think he is our father but I honestly don't remember him.  I was really little when he left."

 

All three deputies were aware of the custody situation.  After two deputies had been sent to the house by a phone call from Joan Kinney months ago, the proverbial shit had hit the fan big time.  Alice & Charlie Simpson knew every important person in the county and had complained to them all.  In addition Justin Taylor & Brian Kinney were very wealthy men whose high powered attorney had threatened multiple lawsuits for harassment, procedures not being followed and several other things.  The word went out in the Sheriff's department, Brian, Justin and their nephews were to be handled with care.

 

The deputy smiled at Alice and the boy and turned to Ron Townsend with a stern expression.

 

"So Mr Townsend do you have any identification with you?"

 

Ron fished out his wallet and handed the deputy his Alaska driver's license.  The deputy looked it over before handing it to his partner who went over to the deputy in the car to run a history on Ron.

 

"So Mr Townsend, who is this gentleman with you?"

 

"He's my cousin.  Listen the first thing I want to clear up is these boys are John and Peter Townsend.  I don't know why they said their name is Kinney.  I think their Uncle has brainwashed them or threatened them.

 

I'm not sure if you are aware but Brian Kinney is a pervert, he's a faggot.  That is why I am so concerned about my boys.  He might be abusing them.  I don't even know who this Justin Taylor is that they keep talking about.  I'm just a father who wants to protect and take care of my boys."

 

The second deputy came back and handed Ron his license.  He turned to his partner.

 

"His record is clean."

 

The deputy turned back to John.

 

"Is you name actually Townsend or Kinney?"

 

"Our legal name is Kinney.  When Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin got permanent custody of us we changed our name to Kinney.  Our mother had used Kinney since her divorce.  It seemed silly to keep using the name of someone who abandoned us ten years ago."

 

"That makes sense to me.  Thanks for clearing it up."

 

He turned back to Ron.

 

"So Mr Townsend I guess you heard that.  John and Peter changed their names legally to Kinney.  It doesn't really matter what their last name is, our department is aware that Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor do have legal custody of their nephews."

 

Ron was angry and hurt that his sons has changed their last name.  He was more determined than ever to get them under his control.

 

"Listen!  I don't even know who Justin Taylor is but I do know he is NOT my sons' uncle.  Something very suspicious is going on here.  You know that Brian is a faggot.  How can someone like that get legal custody of two innocent boys?  He has a lot of money and I am sure people have been paid off.  I'm not leaving without my sons."

 

Both deputies looked grim.

 

"We are aware that Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor are gay.  Family services have fully investigated them and found no reason not to grant them custody of John and Peter. 

 

Your sons do not want to go with you.  They have stated they are happy with their current situation.  If you disagree with the custody decision you need to speak to a lawyer.

 

Our job is to enforce the custody agreement that is currently in place.  You need to move along and do not attempt to intimidate your sons again or we will have to arrest you."

 

Ron was incensed, he couldn't believe this was happening.

 

"You cannot be serious!  You expect me to walk away from my sons and leave the in the custody of perverts.  I refuse to abandon my boys!"

 

The deputy had enough of Ron Townsend.

 

"According to everyone in involved here, you had no trouble walking away from your sons ten years ago.  Frankly your current concern is a little hard to believe.  I told you that Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor were fully investigated and the Commonwealth found no issue with them having custody of your sons.

 

Your only alternative is to speak with a lawyer and talk about the possibility of getting custody of John and Peter transferred to you."

 

Peter now expressed his opinion.

 

"I will never live with you.  I don't even know you.  You can't just waltz back into our lives after ten years."

 

The deputy looked at Ron and shrugged.

 

"You are going to have quite a custody battle on your hands if the boys are opposed to living with you.  It is your decision but for right now you need to be on your way and leave Mrs Simpson and the boys alone."

 

Ron's cousin took his arm.

 

"Come on, we have to leave."

 

Alice and the boys went back to loading their purchases into the car.  The deputy in the car drove away.  The other two said they were going to escort Alice back to the house.

 

Just about the same time that Alice and the boys arrived at Sam's Club, Justin drove up to the diner.  Debbie and Joe were standing out front waiting.  Once they got into the car, Justin drove to Debbie's house.

 

The first thing Debbie did was get some sauce on the stove to warm and put water in a pot to cook some pasta.

 

While Debbie did that, Justin brought Joe up to date on what they found out about his uncle and the terms of his mother's will.  Joe was relieved that his stepfather did not have custody but concerned about the uncle he hardly knew being able to make decisions about his life.

 

Justin cautioned Joe to give his uncle chance.  This was a huge change for both of them so they both needed to work together to decide what was the best way to proceed.  Joe was firm about not being in love with the idea of boarding school.

 

Debbie called them out to the kitchen for lunch.  Now Justin was dealing with two skeptical people.  Justin tried to get Debbie to moderate her comments but he knew that once Debbie got something in her mind there was little chance of her changing.  Debbie felt the uncle needed to do more for Joe.

 

Justin resigned himself to eating his pasta and rolling his eyes when Debbie or Joe made a particularly outrageous statement.   Debbie did make one statement that almost had Justin chocking on pasta.

 

"I don't like you living in that fucking motel.  You are too young to be on your own like that.  Plus Brian & Justin have spent enough money on you.  You need to move in here until your uncle shows up and we can discuss your future."

 

Joe looked as shocked as Justin. 

 

"I'm okay at the motel.  It won't be for much longer."

 

Debbie shook her head and the determined look on her face told Justin that there was no changing her mind about this.

 

Joe tried his best to dissuade her but when lunch was over Justin found himself driving Debbie and Joe to the motel to collect his belongings.  When they got back to Debbie's house Joe was very vocal about his absolute dislike of the Captain Astro motif of the bedroom originally used by Michael and later by Justin.  Debbie agreed to buying new curtains, sheets & bedspread and Joe agreed to stay.

 

When Justin left Debbie and Joe were arguing about her house rules and the fact that he was required to go to Brian & Justin's house for New Year's Eve.  Justin smiled all the way home knowing that Debbie was delighted to have another "lost boy" to mother, even if it was for a short time.

 

When Justin got home he was surprised by the closed gate.  He wondered what this was all about as he punched in the code to open the gate.  When he walked into the kitchen an indignant Alice launched into the incident with Ron Townsend in the parking lot at Sam's Club.  

 

Alice let Justin know that John & Peter were downstairs in the game room so once he heard the whole story he headed down to the game room.  He was pleased that the nephews were more outraged than upset. 

 

Justin immediately called Anabel Harper and left her a message.  He wanted to be prepared for whatever Ron Townsend had planned.  Justin was surprised by how quickly Anabel called back.  She told him it was too late to do anything today and it would be impossible to get anything done over the long holiday weekend. Next week she would put an investigator on Ron Townsend.

 

Justin related the conversation to John & Peter who were delighted.  While Justin was talking with Anabel Brian had arrived home and gotten the rundown from Alice.  He went upstairs and changed his clothes before joining the war council in the game room.

 

Brian was glad that Justin alerted Anabel to what was going on.  They were all amazed when Alice came to the top of the stairs to tell Brian that his mother was on the phone and wanted to talk to him.

 

Brian went over and picked up the phone as Justin, John & Peter looked on in amazement.

 

"Hello Mother, this is a surprise."

 

"Hello Brian.  I wanted to let you know about a visitor I had this morning."

 

Brian sighed.

 

"I guess it was the same visitor that I had yesterday at Kinnetik."

 

"You would be correct.  It was Ron Townsend.  He had the gall to come here as if the past didn't happen.  I could tell immediately that he wanted money from me.  He wants to take my grandsons to Alaska to live with his current wife.  I'm sure she must be charming.

 

I asked if he had the means to take care of the boys.  He plans to stick them in the attic of his home.  I sent him on his way.  You know I don't approve of your lifestyle but John and Peter seem happy living with you and Justin.  I do understand that Mr and Mrs Simpson are good Christian people and would never stand by for any untoward behavior around the boys."

 

Brian chuckled.

 

"So if I understand you Mother, you don't trust Justin and me to treat the boys correctly but you do trust Alice and Charlie."

 

"You always deliberately misunderstand me.  I am telling you that I am on your side not Ron Townsend's.  You have to prevent him from dragging those boys off to Alaska."

 

"Actually Mother I am happy to know we agree on what is best for John and Peter.  Don't worry, Justin has already called our lawyer and we are not about to let Ron Townsend get his hands on John and Peter."

 

Joan took a deep breath.

 

"I am very glad to hear that.  I hope you and Justin have a happy new year.  Good bye."

 

"Good bye Mother, happy new year to you."

 

Brian turned to see three confused faces staring at him.

 

"Joanie wanted us to know she is on our side.  Ron went to her and apparently thought she would bankroll his legal battle.  He was sent on his way empty handed.

 

By the way Sunshine, Mother wished us both a happy new year."

 

Now Brian faced three shocked faces which made him laugh.