Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry this update was a long time coming.  I have a friend who has been having some serious health issues and I was busy helping her.

Holiday Happenings

This story is a sequel to “Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad”. You don’t have to read that story first but this story will make more sense if you do.
Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian’s nephews. This is how they I think they would celebrate fall & winter holidays.
I don’t own the characters just the situations.

Chapter 23

On Christmas Eve Joan Kinney waited on her front porch for a ride to church. One of the regular daily Mass attendees, Thelma Tallon, offered Joan a ride to Christmas Eve Mass. It used to be held at midnight but most churches now had Mass at 9 PM.
Joan glanced at the electric candles she had placed in the porch windows. She thought back to when she bought them second hand the year they moved into this house. She remembered a young Brian telling her the lighted candles “looked cool” in the porch windows. Joan shook her head trying to erase that memory as Thelma pulled up out front.

After Mass Father Bolton was at the back of church as everyone left. He said hello to Mrs Kinney, said he “was happy to see her back at Mass and hoped she was feeling better”. Joan curtly thanked him as she continued to walk out of the church. A surprised Thelma wished Father Bolton a Merry Christmas and hurried to catch up with Joan Kinney quickly walking toward the parking lot. Joan was anxious not to have a conversation with anyone. She didn’t want anyone’s pity; she was happy to spend Christmas alone.

On the ride home Thelma glanced over at Joan who stared straight ahead.

“So Joan; are you spending Christmas at your son’s house?”

“No! I don’t approve of Brian’s lifestyle. We don’t spend much time together. I will be alone for Christmas. My grandsons live with Brian so I won’t see them either.”

“You’re welcome to come with me to my daughter’s house for dinner. She always has plenty of food.”

Joan shook her head.

“That’s kind of you to offer. I will be fine on my own.”

“I’m a little confused. I thought you spent time at your son’s house while you were recovering.”

Joan sighed.

“I stayed in a separate apartment at Brian’s house. He avoided me most of the time. His housekeeper and my grandsons delivered my meals. He hired a nurse to help me in the morning and the evening.”

Thelma struggled to come up with an appropriate reply.

“That was generous of your son.”

“Brian has a lot of money. He spends plenty of it on himself and his boy. I suppose it didn’t matter to him to spend some on me.”

Thelma had attended the same church as Joan for years but did not know her very well. Joan was pleasant but kept her distance; never going to breakfast or lunch with the other daily Mass attendees.

Most of what Thelma knew about Joan’s family life she read in the newspaper when Claire’s drug dealer tried to kidnap her brother’s partner. Thelma felt sorry for Joan; her daughter was in prison and apparently she was estranged from her son for some reason. She didn’t know that Brian had a son and wondered why Joan objected to him spending money on his “boy”.

“I didn’t know Brian had a son. I knew he had Claire’s sons living with him.”

Joan was confused for a moment since she hadn’t mentioned Brian’s son, Gus.

“Brian does have a son but that is not who I meant. Brian has a boy named Justin living with him who he supports. John and Peter do live there. Brian spoils them horribly which I think is a mistake!”

Thelma pulled up in front of Joan’s house and turned to look at her.

“I know that Justin Taylor and Brian are partners. Justin is young but I would hardly call him a boy. He is a pretty successful artist I don’t think Brian is actually supporting him. I would think that you would be glad that John and Peter have a nice life with their uncle.

I know you say Brian has a lot of money but I still think he is generous to take in his two nephews. That is a big responsibility for him to take on. If he was my son I would be proud of him.”

Joan opened the car door.

“Thank you for the ride. I’m sorry I can’t agree with your assessment of Brian. I find nothing about his life style to be proud of. I keep hoping and praying he will stop his sinful ways and come back to the church and its teachings.”

Thelma just looked at Joan with amazement as she got out of the car and went into the house. She shook her head as she drove away she said to the empty car.

“And a Merry Christmas to you too!”

*************************************************************************************

When Brian, Justin, John & Peter got home. Justin told the boys they had to go to their bedrooms and stay there. They were not allowed to go into the Parlor the next day until Jennifer, Tucker and Molly arrived. Justin warned them that his mother would not be happy if gifts were opened before she arrived.

After the boys were banished to their rooms; Justin and a reluctant Brian went to the studio where many gifts were stored in the art vault. The gifts were carried down to the Parlor and placed in piles around the tree. Justin tried to hide the large box that was Brian’s gift but Brian spotted it and raised his eyebrows.

“If you open that before tomorrow my Mother will not be happy with you. Do you really want to spend Christmas with a pissed off Mother Taylor?”

“Justin! I am not a child. There is no need to threaten me. I am more than willing to wait until tomorrow to open a gift.”

Justin just rolled his eyes. Three trips from the studio and the gifts were all piled in the parlor. Brian and Justin went to their bedroom and celebrated in their own personal & satisfying way – three times.

The next morning when Justin woke up he was alone in bed. He quickly went into the bathroom to get washed and dressed in some comfortable sweats. Just as he was getting ready to go leave the bedroom; Brian appeared with two mugs of coffee.

“Merry Christmas Sunshine.”

A smiling Justin came over and gave his favorite brunet a good morning kiss and grabbed his mug of coffee out of Brian’s hand.

“Are John & Peter awake?”

“Yup. They are getting ready to make Christmas morning breakfast. They have been texting with Grandmom Jen. She and her entourage should be here shortly. I spoke to Gus who is very excited about his gifts so far. He is anxious for us to show up so he can show us what he got.”

“Wait until he sees the train room. He’ll go crazy!”

Brian smiled at the thought of his Sonny Boy seeing the model train setup for the first time.”

The doorbell rang as the two men got to the entrance Hall. Justin started to walk towards the door as Peter came racing in from the kitchen. Peter came to a stop as Justin opened the front door. Jennifer carrying a shopping bag came into the house followed by Tucker carrying a large box with Molly taking up the rear with shopping bags in both hands.

Justin took the shopping bag from his mother as he gave her a kiss on the cheek and wished her Merry Christmas. Peter hurried over to give Grandmom Jen a hug and kiss. Jennifer took a covered cake dish off the top of the bag Justin was holding.

“Peter, Sweetheart please take this out to the kitchen. It is a Christmas coffee cake.”

Justin led the way into the Parlor and supervised the placing of gifts in the correct piles. Once the gifts were distributed he gave his sister a big hug and kiss and surprised Tucker by also hugging him and telling him it was nice to have him here for Christmas. Jennifer had a big smile on her face.

Brian, who had escaped to the kitchen, appeared in the Parlor doorway.

“I have been sent by the Breakfast preparers to let you know it is time to eat.”

Jennifer came over and gave Brian a kiss on the cheek.

“Merry Christmas Brian. Thanks for having us all over here for the day.”

Brain smirked.

“I wouldn’t want to have to deal with your son if we didn’t have a big family Christmas. He can be quite nasty if he doesn’t get his way.”

Jennifer laughed.

“Yes I know. The problem is you have spoiled him because you so adore him.”

Brian pretended a look of horror which made everyone laugh as they walked towards the kitchen. John was busy at the stove but Jennifer went over to give him a Merry Christmas kiss and hug. John had a huge smile on his face as he gave his Grandmom Jen a big hug. This was the best Christmas he could ever remember having and it was just beginning.

Brian took care of pouring coffee and ordered all the Taylors to sit. He said the Kinney boys were handling breakfast. Jennifer’s special Christmas coffee cake was on the table and Justin sliced pieces for everyone. Justin took a big bite of the coffee cake.

“Mom, I think this is the best Christmas coffee cake you ever made. It’s really delicious!”

Jennifer chuckled and looked across the table at her daughter.

“Looks like I made the right decision.”

Molly smiled. Justin looked at them both.

“What’s going on with you two?”

“I gave your sister the recipe for the coffee cake and she made it this year.”

“Wow Mollusk; this is really good. I didn’t know you could even cook.”

Molly frowned at her brother.

“Any more Mollusk comments and no more of my coffee cake for you.”

Brian slid into his seat beside Justin.

“Now children behave. You don’t want Santa to take away all your presents do you?”

Justin smiled.

“Great job Sister dear. Your coffee cake is quite delicious.”

“Thank you Brother dear. I am so delighted that you are enjoying it.”

John & Peter put the final serving dishes on the table and everyone started eating breakfast. When everyone was finished eating it was a group effort to clean up before going to the Parlor for gift opening. As breakfast cleanup was winding to a close Brian removed a half full trash bag from the kitchen trash can and tied the top closed.

“Sunshine, I don’t have any shoes on. How about taking this out to the trash can in the garage.”

Justin looked at the obviously half empty bag. He wasn’t sure what Brian was thinking but didn’t want to make an issue out of this on Christmas morning. He grabbed the bag and headed out to the garage. The first thing he saw was a silver grey SUV with a huge red bow on the hood.

Justin started to turn around but Brian was right behind him with a huge smile on his face.

“Merry Christmas Sunshine. That is a brand new Mercedes Benz seven passenger SUV. Plenty of room for our soon to be expanded family.”

John & Peter were standing behind Brian also with big smiles on their faces. Justin was wide eyed with surprise. Peter chuckled.

“Well Uncle Brian I think you were able to really surprise Uncle Justin for once.”

Justin turned to hug Brian.

“How did you get it here this morning?”

“It has been hidden over at the farm. Chuck and Nancy brought it over early this morning. Don’t you want to get a closer look at your present?”

Justin hurried out to the garage followed by everyone else. Doors were open, seats were tried and Brian pointed out all the special features to the stunned Justin. Eventually everyone but Brian and Justin went back into the house.

Justin looked Brian in the face.
“Are you sure we can afford this? It had to be really expensive. These are real leather seats!”

“Sunshine I told you that Kinnetik is making plenty of money; your art has sold like crazy this year as well it should and our rental properties are fully rented. Yes we can afford this car and still afford to buy anything else we need for our two babies.”

Justin threw his arms around Brian’s neck and delivered a toe curling kiss. Both men were a little breathless as they broke apart. Justin smiled and gently stroked Brian’s cheek.

“To be continued later tonight in our bedroom. I love you Brian.”

“You too Sunshine. We better go in the house or your mother will send someone to be sure we aren’t fucking in the new car.”

Both men laughed as they went back into the kitchen where everyone else was waiting. They all walked to the Parlor. Justin lit the lights on the tree while everyone choose a seat. Justin grabbed Jennifer’s pile of gifts and took it to where his mother was sitting.

Jennifer opened boxes with some of her standard gifts. Silk blouses, her favorite perfume, makeup, gift certificate for a day spa & a new purse were all exclaimed over. Finally Justin handed her three smaller boxes that were wrapped in some hand painted paper.

She admired the paper and looked a little confused by the looks of anticipation on everyone’s faces. Jennifer opened the box from John, Peter & Gus first. Inside were sapphire and diamond earrings and tear immediately sprung to Grandmom Jen’s eyes? She went over to give the boys thank you hugs.

Next she opened the box from Tucker and gasped when she saw the beautiful diamond & sapphire tennis bracelet inside.

“Oh Darling, this is too much. It is too extravagant but I love it.”

Tucker leaned over to deliver a kiss.

“I hope you like it. I wanted something to mark the first Christmas where we are really a couple.”

Jennifer hugged him and whispered something in his ear that Justin, for one, was happy he could not hear.

Finally she opened the box from Molly, Justin & Brian. The tears that had been her eyes flowed freely down her cheeks when she saw the necklace with the diamond & sapphire pendant.

“This really is too much. You boys should not be spending all this money on me. You should just return this; it really is too much for you to spend on me!”

Brian looked embarrassed but Justin and Molly just shook their heads. Justin came over to where his mother was sitting and handed her a couple Kleenex.

“Mom, you know you always told us that is was proper just to thank someone for their gift and never talk about what it might have cost. You can blame Tucker for the jewelry theme. He picked out the bracelet and let us know there was a necklace and earring to match. We were happy to buy them for you.”

Jennifer hugged her son and then further embarrassed Brian by walking over and hugging him. She gave Molly a kiss on the cheek.

Molly smiled.

“Brian and Justin insisted upon putting my name on that card. You know that the perfume and makeup is really my gift.”

Justin just shrugged.

“You are both failing country club manners today. If Granny were here she would be telling us it is vulgar to discuss the cost of gifts.”

Jennifer laughed.

“You are right about that sweetheart so don’t mention this when we call her later!”

It had always been the Taylor Family tradition to open gifts from oldest to youngest. Brian flatly refused to have everyone watch him open gifts so after Jennifer opened her gifts it became a free for all when everyone else attacked their pile.

Tucker was thrilled to get a leather briefcase with his initials embossed in gold from Brian & Justin. Peter was delighted to get a Kindle and gift cards to purchase eBooks.

John got a gift certificate for Gaynor’s Cooking School in Pittsburgh and a book on Soccer strategy. Molly screamed out loud when she opened the diamond stud earrings from Justin & Brian. Justin was surprised to get a box of cargo pants and T shirts from the Gap. The card read from John & Peter but Justin knew Brian must have taken them to the Gap.

Peter looked over with a smile.

“Uncle Brian drove us to the store but he refused to come inside. He waited for us in the car.”

Brian just smirked as he sat and watched boxes ripped open. John & Peter compared the video games they each received. There were Academy golf shirts to wear when Spring brought warmer weather from Grandmom Jen. There were also new gloves, hats and ski boots.

Jennifer and Tucker also gave the boys a “gift certificate” for a weekend ski trip. John & Peter looked surprised and a little embarrassed to receive underwear and socks as a gift from Grandmom Jen.

Justin laughed as he watched the nephews open those gifts.

“My grandmother sent Molly and me those things every year for Christmas.”

Molly laughed along with her brother.

“Justin always told me we would get in trouble if we said it out loud but they are dumb Christmas presents.”

Jennifer spoke up.

“I thought I would just continue that grandparent tradition. You are correct that anyone who criticizes a gift gets in trouble. The only correct response to a gift is “Thank you”.”

Peter and John looked at each other before turning towards Jennifer and saying in unison.

“Thank you Grandmom Jen.”

That made everyone laugh. While everyone was busy ripping open boxes and gathering trash into piles Brian started to open his gifts; hoping no one would pay attention to him. There were new shirts & ties; an expensive new watch from Jennifer & Tucker and some Armani belts.

Finally Brian lifted the large, heavy box from Justin. He shot an inquiring look at is Sunshine before opening the box. When Brian saw and felt the overcoat he actually took an involuntary deep breath. Justin was watching him intently with a huge smile on his face.

Brian turned towards his partner. Justin was happy to see delight plainly showing on Brian’s face. For once the brunet was not cloaking his feelings with a no emotion expression on his face. Justin leaned forward and was gathered into a hug. Brian kissed him as he held him tight.

“Thanks Sunshine. It’s beautiful. You know I’ve always talked about buying a vicuna overcoat but it seemed extravagant, even for me.”

“Well now you have one.”

Much to Brian’s embarrassment Jennifer walked over to inspect the coat and insisted Brian model it for them. Justin continued to a have a huge sunshine smile on his face. He knew his mother was about the only person who could get Brian to try on his new overcoat in front of everyone.

Eventually the gift frenzy was over. Justin pulled trash bags from where he stashed them behind the sofa. The shreds of wrapping paper were gathered and John & Peter stacked their gifts neatly by the tree.

After a look from Jennifer; Tucker & Molly challenged John & Peter to a ping pong game. Taking the trash bags with them; they left the Parlor.

Jennifer reached into a shopping bag and took out two more gifts. She walked over to Justin & Brian and handed them each a box.

“Craig dropped these gifts off at my office. He told me they were legitimate gifts. If they aren’t I will tear his balls off!”

Brian dropped his box on the floor.

“I’m not opening any gift from Craig. I don’t want anything from that asshole. Do NOT try and tell me the only response should be thank you.”

Justin sat quietly looking at the familiar handwriting on the gift tag. He thought about the many times he had seen that handwriting on gifts & cards over the years.

“I am going to open my gift. I wish you would open yours but that is your decision. I agree that Craig has acted like an asshole for several years. Brian you are my life and I will always be by your side and fight any obstacle with you.

I know you don’t have any really happy memories from your childhood but I do. Until I came out as gay I loved my father and I believed he loved me. I can never forget how he abandoned me any more than I can forget how you supported me. I’m not sure where I expect this to lead but I want to open the gifts.”

Justin didn’t look at Brian or his mother but he ripped the paper and opened the box. Inside was an expensive sketch pad and some drawing pencils. It was a more expensive pad of paper than Justin would normally buy for himself.

Inside was a note.

“I thought you could always use a new pad for drawing. I remember you always had one close by. I wish I had been a better Dad because you deserve the best of everything in life.”

The note was unsigned but again Justin recognized Craig’s handwriting.

Brian watched Justin carefully and glanced at the contents of the box. He picked up his gift from the floor and quickly unwrapped and opened it. Inside were two expensive silk ties. There was also a note inside.

“Thank you for always being there for Justin when I was too stupid to be the father I should have been. I hope you like the ties. Craig.”

Jennifer watched both men. She could see that Brian was annoyed and unconvinced about Craig’s sincerity. She could also read all the emotions on Justin’s face. She knew her son was surprised, confused, unsure how to react and worried about Brian’s reaction.

“Well I guess Craig gets to keep his balls.”

Justin smiled at his mother. Brian dropped the box on the floor again before looking up at Jennifer.

“Is there anything I can do to change your mind?”

Justin bumped shoulders with his partner.

“Let’s not talk about this right now. I want to think about it for a while and decide how I feel about the gifts.”

“I know how I feel about them.”

Justin leaned into Brian’s side.

“I know how you feel but I’m not at all sure how I feel about them. I have to think about this.”

Brian put his arm around Justin’s shoulders.

“Take all the time you need Sunshine.”

Justin smirked at Brian.

“We need to shower and get dressed so we can go have lunch with Gus and bring him back here.”

Jennifer smiled.

“I’ll go downstairs and see if they need a referee. John and I will work on starting dinner prep while you are gone.”

She gave them both a quick kiss on the cheek and left the room. Brian & Justin followed her out of the Parlor and went upstairs.

Ninety minutes later Brian & Justin rang the doorbell at the munchers’ house. They heard running footsteps and Gus yelling “I’ll get the door!”.

A few second later a very excited 7 year of boy whipped open the door and launched himself at his father’s legs.

“Hi Daddy! Hi Papa! I thought you guys would never get here. Do you want to see all the stuff I got for Christmas?”

Brian and Justin smiled at Gus’s exuberance.

“That’s why we came Sonny Boy. Lead the way.”

Lindsay came out of the kitchen, drying her hand on a kitchen towel. She smiled and came over to give both men a hug.

“Lunch is almost ready but I think you have time to examine the loot in the living room.”

Gus grabbed Brian & Justin’s hands to drag them into the living room to see his gifts. JR was wearing her new Princess dress and having a tea party with some new dolls and a brand new china tea set. Melanie was busy tending the fire. She turned to say hello and then went back to poking at logs.

Justin got the impression Mel was still annoyed about he & Brian not agreeing to Gus’s punishment for smacking JR’s hand. He looked at Brian and rolled his eyes.

Gus showed us each gift that he received. He whispered to Brian & Justin, so JR wouldn’t hear, that he knew that they helped pay for his “Santa Claus” gifts. After the gift viewing Gus asks Brian to go down to the playroom with him and help him set up his new Hot Wheels track.

Once they leave JR asks Justin if he wants to have a tea party with her. Justin tells her that he and Molly used to have tea parties all the time. He comes over to her new doll sized table & chairs. He accepts a cup of tea and makes JR laugh as he drinks it with his pinky extended. He & JR converse with her dolls while they drink their tea and eats their crumpets.

Eventually JR got bored with tea and started to show Justin some of her presents from Santa. Justin wondered why lunch was taking so long as he exclaimed over each gift shown him.

Next JR decided to show Justin the ornaments on the tree. At first she just pointed to them but then she started to handle the ornaments.

“JR honey; I don’t think you are supposed to touch the tree ornaments.”

“Uncle Jus; this isn’t your house. You don’t get to tell me what to do here.”

Melanie was just coming back into the room to announce lunch was served. Justin stood up but didn’t have time to reply to JR before Melanie spoke.

“Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Peterson what are you thinking? How dare you talk to Uncle Justin like that!”

JR had the proverbial hand caught in the cookie jar look on her face. Justin gave her the patented narrow eyed Taylor look.

“JR seems to have quite a bit of trouble obeying the don’t touch the tree ornament rule. Getting her hand smacked by Gus doesn’t seem to have made a lasting impression on her.”

Melanie knew that Justin might have been looking at JR but his remark was aimed at her.

“Lunch is ready. After lunch JR you are going to have a timeout. Now tell Uncle Justin you are sorry for what you said. Uncle Justin can ALWAYS tell you when you are doing something wrong.”

JR gave a grudging apology to Justin which Melanie said earned her a longer timeout. Justin couldn’t resist saying.

“The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree Mel.”

Brian and Gus appeared from the basement and they all sat down to lunch. Lindsay made a chicken casserole and three bean salad with a strawberry trifle with green dyed whipped cream for dessert. JR was a little quiet during lunch but Gus kept up the conversation despite frequent reminders not to talk with his mouth full.

Brian was amused by his very excited son and felt pretty sure that Gus would nap during the drive down to Washington. When lunch was over; Brian, Justin & Gus were all happy to get on the road. They got out just as JR’s tears were beginning when she was told to sit on the stairs for her timeout.

Melanie, Lindsay and JR were having Christmas dinner at Carl & Debbie’s house along with Ben & Michael. Emmett & Rusty were having dinner with Ted, Blake, Nina & Viola. Everyone would all get together at Brian & Justin’s party on the 26th.

When they got back home, Jennifer & John were busy in the kitchen. Gus ran to give Grandmom Jen a hug and to wish her Merry Christmas. John also got a hug and wished Merry Christmas. Molly, Tucker and Peter came into the kitchen from the media room and they all got their holiday greetings from Gus.

Jennifer told them the Patrick & Kevin had called to thank Uncle Brian & Uncle Justin for their trip to Disney World. Jennifer invited the O’Briens to come over for dessert and Roxanne was bringing a banana cream pie. That way the boys could thank them in person.

Brian rolled his eyes in Justin’s direction. Jennifer spotted him and looked him directly in the face.

“Brian, do you have a problem with me inviting the O’Briens to come here for dessert?”

Justin couldn’t helping smiling at the uncomfortable look on his partner’s face.

“No Mother Taylor. You can invite whoever you want to our home.”

Jennifer patted his cheek.

“Thank you Sweetheart; I knew it would be no problem.”

Gus didn’t pay any attention to that exchange but Molly, Tucker, John & Peter all smiled which annoyed Brian. Justin came over and gave him a kiss before suggesting Gus see what gifts were waiting for him in the Parlor.

Everyone watched as Gus happily ripped open gifts. Gus opened boxes and gift bags that held new books, video games, gloves, black T shirt (“just like Daddy’s”), hot wheel cars, some new school clothes and art supplies. He was thrilled by every gift and generous with thank you hugs. When all his presents were opened he looked at his Daddy & Papa.

“You helped Joe but I still got lots of presents. I can give some back because I said you could give me less stuff for Christmas.”

Brian scooped Gus up and gave him a kiss.

“Sonny Boy you don’t have to give even one thing back but your Papa and I are really proud that you are willing to keep you word. We were happy to help Joe and we never planned to give you less for Christmas.”

Justin came over and put his arms around Gus & Brian. Gus had a huge smile on his face. Brian smiled back at his son.

“We have one more thing to show you Sonny Boy.”

He put Gus down and led the way downstairs. Everyone followed behind them. Gus looked around the game room to see if there was anything new. He was a little surprised when Daddy took him over to the new doors and swung them open.

When Gus saw the model train setup his mouth dropped open. He didn’t say anything but looked around at his family who all had smiles on their faces. He walked closer to get a better look at the trains before turning around to face everyone.

“WOW! This is the neatest thing I ever saw! This is the best Christmas I ever had in my whole life.”

Brian walked over to the controls and Gus followed. As his Daddy showed him how all the things the trains could do Gus was too excited to stand still. He did a little dance from foot to foot.

Everyone else left father & son alone to enjoy their trains. John and Jennifer returned to the kitchen. Justin organized a Pinochle game in the study with Molly, Tucker & Peter. When Mark arrived Molly gave him the job of getting them some drinks. When he returned with the drinks she told him to amuse himself until the card game was over. Mark went back to the kitchen and Jennifer assigned him the job of setting the dining room table.

Molly & Tucker won the Pinochle game and the four players headed to the kitchen. Molly helps Mark finish up the table and fill the water glasses. John has the roast covered in foil and resting so Peter is dispatched to tell the trainmen it is time for dinner. Tucker opens a couple bottles of wine. Justin helps Jennifer dish up the side dishes.

Jennifer and John made au gratin potatoes, string beans almondine, roasted cauliflower, sweet potato casserole and pickled cucumbers & onions. Justin chuckled.

“Gee Mom are you sure there is enough food?”

“I hope so Justin but having seen you, John and Peter pack it away I’m not sure.”

Brian and Gus appeared with Peter; John sliced the roast which was done perfectly and the family sat down to dinner. Jennifer said grace and the eating commenced.

Gus’s dinner conversation was mostly about how neat his trains were.