Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Holiday Happenings

This story is a sequel to “Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad”. You don’t have to read that story first but this story will make more sense if you do.
Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian’s nephews. This is how they I think they would celebrate fall & winter holidays.
I don’t own the characters just the situations.

Chapter 20

After the house tour with his cousins an excited Gus, John & Peter came back into the kitchen. Justin and Alice were chatting. Gus came over to Justin.

“Papa the decorations here at our house are even better than at Grandmom Debbie’s diner. They are super awesome.”

Justin smiled down at the little boy.

“I’m glad you like the decorations. Tomorrow we are going to decorate our family tree and that will look super awesome too!”

Alice asked the boys would like some milk and cookies and they happily accepted the offer. Brian reappeared just as Gus swallowed the last of his milk.

“Hey Sonny Boy you still have your school clothes on. You need to go up and change your clothes and then we’ll go for a walk.”

“Okay. Are we going to walk in the woods?”

“We can if that’s what you want to do.”

Gus nodded.

“Then we are going on a hike. Tucker says if you walk in the woods that is a hike.”

Brian did a slow 360 turn.

“I don’t see Tucker. If you are going with me then we are going on a walk!”

With a serious expression on his face Gus replied with the sage wisdom of a 7 year old.

“Sometimes Daddy you are very silly.”

With those parting words Gus went up to his room to change.

Brian turned to the smirking Justin.

“Do NOT say a word Sunshine!”

Justin came over and gave Brian a comforting pat on the back.

“I’m just going to up and change my shoes for our hi… walk.”

“That’s a good idea. I’d hate to see you slip into the creek….. again.”

As Justin went upstairs he could hear John and Peter laughing and he knew Brian was telling the boys how Justin had slid down the hill wearing flip-flops and fell in the creek.

Gus and Justin reappeared in the kitchen dressed to go outside. Justin had a big smile on his face as Gus announced.

“Papa and I are ready for the hike.”

Brian had an exasperated expression on his face while Justin had a big smile as he looked across the room at his partner. John & Peter tried their best not to chuckle at their uncles. Gus was mostly unaware of the sub-currents he was just happy to be going for a hike with some of his favorite males.

Alice gave everyone a squeeze bottle of her special hot sauce to put in their pockets just in case they ran in to any wildlife on their “outing”. There was a slight delay while Gus had to search for his gloves. Brian glanced over at Justin who nodded. Gus’s stocking gift of gloves was a great idea.

Outside it was a frosty day. The first stop was the pond to check on the state of the ice cover. Brian announced it was not solid enough for ice skating but it was getting better. From there they headed to the wooded area of the property that led to the county park.

Alice took advantage of everyone’s absence to take Joan’s dinner out to the pool house.

*************************************************************************************

Jennifer was busy at her desk in her office at the real estate company when Marilyn, one of her top agents, knocked on the door. Jennifer waved her into the office.

“Hi Jennifer, do you have a moment?”

Jennifer smiled and pushed the forms she was working on to the side of her desk.

“Always time for you. Have a seat.”

Marilyn sank into guest chair.

“I had a phone message on my business line from Ron Peterson. They are finally looking to change real estate companies to try and sell their house. He wants me to give them a presentation of what I could do to sell their house.”

Jennifer frowned and shook her head.

“I’m sorry, I don’t like to interfere with your business, but I will not allow this company to take the Peterson listing. I don’t want to go into my reasons but I absolutely do not want to do business with Ron and Nancy Peterson.”

Marilyn nodded.

“I don’t want the listing. I know their daughter was in a mental facility. A couple weeks ago I met Ron and Nancy in the grocery store and I got a very bad vibe from him. I suspect he is an abuser and I understand you don’t want to discuss your reasons and I admire you for your discretion. How do want to handle Ron’s call?”

“I’ll call Ron if you like. I have no problem with making that call.”

Marilyn stood up.

“I’d appreciate it if you made the call. I’d rather not deal with Ron Peterson if I can help it.”

When Marilyn left the office, Jennifer checked her phone book and dialed the Peterson home. Nancy answered the phone but quickly told Jennifer she would get Ron.

“Hello Jennifer.”

“Hello Ron. I just wanted to let you know that my real estate company is not interested in have the listing to sell your home. You are not someone who I am interested in ever doing business with or in fact ever talking to you.”

“I didn’t call you about my listing. I called one of your agents who is an independent contractor not your employee! I hope you have not gossiped to her about claims made by my mentally ill daughter.”

Jennifer laughed.

“Marilyn and I discussed your call and we are in complete agreement. I told her I would make the call to you. She is indeed an independent contractor but this is still MY company and I have final decision making power.

You mention your daughter. I assume you mean Lindsay. I am well aware that she not actually your biologic child. Do not try and steamroller me because I know too much about you. I suggest you accept this decision.

I haven’t told anyone what I know about you. However I suggest you don’t give me any reason to share what Lindsay and HER mother told me.”

There was silence on the other end of the phone before Ron Peterson just said “Fine” before hanging up.

Jennifer chuckled and went back to her paperwork. She felt like she should disinfect her phone but realized that was silly.

*************************************************************************************

When Brian, Justin and the boys got back from their adventures Alice had hot chocolate warming on the stove. Charlie had a fire going in the family room fireplace so they took their hot chocolate and gathered around the fireplace.

John and Peter suggested a game of fish with Gus who happily agreed. Brian and Justin said they have some stuff to do in the studio so they went upstairs. The first thing they had to do was exchange blow jobs but then they got down to work on making sure they had everyone’s Christmas gifts covered. Justin has several spreadsheets and he and Brian made sure the wrapped packages corresponded to the spreadsheets.

Brian suggested that they pick up a few thing for Joe. Justin smiled and came over to hug Brian.

“You are the best man I know. You make me love you more every day. Before you say anything I won’t say that Christmas presents for Joe are your idea.”

Brian hugged his partner tightly.

“You know that I love you Sunshine.”

“Yes I do know that! You show me that every day.”

Brian gave him a quick kiss on the top of his head.

“We better get downstairs, dinner must be almost ready.”

Justin nodded they went down to the kitchen.

Alice had the boys set the dining room table for dinner. Since this was the last meal she would prepare for the household before she & Charlie left to visit their daughter and her family for Christmas Alice decided she and Charlie would stay for dinner.

Dinner was Gus’s favorite spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread. Alice had also prepared a garden salad mostly for Brian’s sake.

The reality of Gus eating spaghetti and meatballs had Brian a little concerned for his oriental carpet in the dining room. He didn’t say anything but was relieved when Gus announced that Charlie had put a sheet of plastic under his chair just in case something got spilled.

Partway through dinner Gus looked down at the floor underneath his chair.

“Wow Daddy! Charlie had an awesome idea to put down this plastic elsewise your rug would have been a mess.”

Brian shook his head but smiled.

“Maybe you could try and be a little neater Sonny Boy?”

Gus just shrugged and went back to eating his spaghetti with his usual gusto.

Justin was sitting at the opposite end of the table from Brian and smiled at the father and son exchange.

“I think we need to hold on to that drop cloth for a while.”

Gus nodded.

“That’s a good idea Papa. It will keep Daddy from getting too stressed. My teacher told us that stress is bad for a person’s health.”

Everyone chuckled as Gus smiled at his Daddy.

“Thanks for looking out for me Sonny Boy.”

“I love you Daddy.”

The look on Brian’s face made Justin smile a full blown sunshine smile. Dessert was the ever popular chocolate layer cake with butter cream icing that Alice and John had worked on together.

Charlie and Alice left for the cottage after dessert. They got hugs and kisses from everyone, well just hugs from Brian. All five member of the family participated in clean up. Gus and Peter carried things from the table to the kitchen. John loaded the dishwasher. Brian put the leftovers away while Justin washed the four good wine glasses before tackling the pots. Brian dried the glasses & pots and put them away.

Once the kitchen was clean everyone went to the media room to watch a little TV. Gus started yawning almost immediately and when he snapped his drooping head up for the third time Brian grabbed him and put him over his shoulder.

“Time for bed Sonny Boy say good night.”

Gus said good night to his cousins and Papa before Brian whisked him off to his bath. After his bath as Gus put on his pajamas Gus looked over at Brian.

“Daddy wasn’t this a great day! I have the best cousins!”

Brian smiled.

“You sure do Sonny Boy but John and Peter have a pretty great cousin too.”

Gus looked surprised.

“I thought I was their only cousin?”

Brian chuckled.

“You are and you are pretty great.”

Gus came over to give his Daddy a hug and kiss.

“I love you Daddy. I love to spend time here with you and Papa and my cousins. Do you think that boy, Joe, at Grandmom Debbie’s diner will get any Christmas presents?”

Brian sat on the bed and pulled Gus onto his lap.

“Your Papa is going to get a few Christmas gifts for Joe. You are such a nice boy to worry about Joe but I don’t want you to worry too much. Papa, me and Grandmom Debbie are going to do what we can to help him. So you won’t worry too much right?”

Gus snuggled against his father.

“If you and Papa are going to help Joe than I know everything will be okay.”

Justin appeared in the doorway to read Gus his bedtime story. He looked over at father and son sitting together.

“Everything okay in here?”

“Yes Papa. I was just asking Daddy about Christmas presents for Joe. Daddy told me that you and him and Grandmom Debbie are going to try and help Joe so I don’t have to worry. I’m ready for my story.”

Gus scrambled under the covers. Brian stayed sitting on the side of the bed and Justin pulled a chair over beside the bed. Gus lasted about 6 pages before he was fast asleep. Brian and Justin each gently kissed him on the forehead before going to the Master Bedroom.

The next morning when Gus woke up he went to the bathroom and hurried to his fathers’ bedroom. He was amazed to see the bedroom door open and the room empty. A worried Gus went downstairs and headed to the kitchen where he heard voices.

Justin spotted him first.

“Hey Little Man. We wondered if you were ever getting out of bed this morning. You’re just in time for a pancake breakfast.”

Brian turned his stool around.

“Good morning Sonny Boy. You need to go up to your room and put your slippers on before you eat breakfast.”

Gus went back to his room to put on his slippers. When he came back to the kitchen John & Peter were sitting at the table and Justin was busy making pancakes. Gus was still a little confused.

“Papa why are you and Daddy dressed and downstairs so early this morning?”

Justin had a big smile on his face.

“We get to decorate our family Christmas tree today so I want to get an early start.”

Gus looked at his Daddy who just rolled his eyes before he joined his cousins at the kitchen table. After breakfast the boys were all sent up to their rooms to get dressed. Brian and Justin cleaned up the kitchen while the boys were getting dressed.

When Gus, John and Peter reappeared Justin took them down to the basement to bring the boxes of tree decorations upstairs. Gus asked about the new doors in the game room. Justin has the lie ready.

“That’s going to be a new wine cellar. Daddy has decided to start to collect wine.”

John and Peter look at each other and smiled. Justin had already let everyone know about what he was going to tell Gus about the new doors.

When all the boxes were moved to the family room Justin handed out assignments. John and Peter had to test the strings of lights to make sure they worked. Gus carried the tested lights to Justin who was on the ladder putting the lights on the tree.

Brian announced his job was to sit back and observe but he did clean the ashes out of the fireplace and start a new fire in the family room fireplace.

This tree decoration was another new experience for John and Peter. For years their Christmas tree was a cheap artificial tree that became more bedraggled and more dependent on duct tape every year. Last year Claire bought a tiny live tree with a couple decorations already attached to it at the drug store. Since there were so few gifts to go under the tree the size didn’t matter very much.

Gus was used to seeing beautiful Christmas trees decorated by his Papa but this was the first time he got to help decorate the tree.

A couple defective strings of lights got thrown away but there were plenty left for Justin to cover the tree with lights. Next it was time for the ornaments and there were a lots of them. Everyone got a section of the tree to decorate. Justin on the step ladder took the top part of the tree. John got the next section down, Peter the section below him and Gus got the job of putting ornaments on the lowest branches of the tree.

Justin finished his area first and took over the job of directing the other tree decorators. Brian threw out the occasional sarcastic comments that made everyone laugh. When most of the decorations were on the tree John broke off from decorating to get out some apple cider and cookies for everyone to enjoy.

The final touch for the tree was Brian adding tinsel, one strand at a time. For a reason that no one, not even Brian, completely understood Brian enjoyed this task. He was meticulous about adding one strand at a time for the perfect looking tree. Justin and the boys sat around eating cookies and drinking cider and admiring Brian’s tinsel placement.

They were surprised to see Alice come through the patio doors. She admired the tree and said she needed to talk with Brian & Justin. The three of them walked down to the study. Brian & Justin sat on the sofa and Alice took one of the chairs facing the sofa.

“When I took Joan her breakfast this morning she told me she wants to go to her own home before Christmas. I called Cassie and talked to her about Joan’s condition. She said that she thought Joan was able to care for herself. Joan knows the physical therapy exercises but we all know she probably won’t do them.”

Justin let Brian answer.

“The sooner we are rid of Joan the happier I will be. I’ll drive her home today!”

Justin started to say something but Alice waved him off.

“Cassie doesn’t mind driving into the city. I suggested she and I take Joan home today. We can stop at a grocery store and but whatever she needs. I have stuff frozen that we can take so she has meals for a few days. I think that would work best for everyone.”

Justin shook his head.

“You need to get ready for your trip and it’s not right to make Cassie drive up to the city. I’ll take Joan home and one of the boys can come with me to help.”

“No Justin. I’m all set for our trip. I think Cassie would like to make a little extra money for Christmas gifts. You and the boys should enjoy your day.”

Brian pulled out his wallet and took out two $100 bills.

“Is this enough for Cassie?”

“That is very generous. I’ll just put Joan’s groceries on the charge card I use for house supplies.”

Brian nodded. Justin shrugged.

“I’ll let John and Peter know to go out and say goodbye to their grandmother.”

Brian stood up.

“Sunshine you said you would take Gus out to shop for gifts for John and Peter. Why don’t you do that and I’ll go out with the nephews and say goodbye to Joan.”

“I think we should have lunch first. After lunch Gus and I will go shopping.”

The three of them returned to the kitchen and Alice told the boys what a good job they had done on the tree before continuing out the door. Brian got a pot of soup from the pantry refrigerator and put it on the stove to warm. Justin preheated the griddle while he assembled the ingredients for grilled cheese sandwiches.

John & Peter, with Gus’s help, set the kitchen table for lunch and poured drinks for everyone. In a short time they were all enjoying Alice’s homemade vegetable soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Once they were finished eating Justin told Gus to go to the bathroom and put on his coat so they could go shopping. John & Peter started cleanup. When Gus left the room Brian went over to his nephews.

“Hey guys, your grandmother has decided she wants to go home. The nurse says that Joan is okay to take care of herself. Alice and the nurse are going to take Joan home this afternoon.

Uncle Justin and I figure you want to say good bye. Once he takes Gus out shopping we can go over to the pool house and say goodbye.”

Gus and Justin headed to Target. Justin let Gus know that he had bought some of his Daddy’s favorite shower gel for Gus to give him. Gus told Justin that Daddy had taken Gus to buy Justin’s gift.

At Target Gus knew that he wanted to buy John some shorts to wear for soccer practice and white tube socks to wear when he played in a soccer game. Gus knew he wanted to buy the newest World Almanac for Peter along with a word a day calendar.

Gus also wanted to buy a finger painting set for Kevin. Justin had gifts for Joe and a few other last minute things to pick up but they were in and out of the store in just a little over an hour. Justin decided they had time to stop at McDonalds for some fries and milkshakes. Gus agreed that was an excellent plan.

Once Justin & Gus left; Brian walked out to the pool house with John & Peter. Brian gave a quick knock before going inside. Joan as usual was sitting in a chair with her bible on her lap.

“Hello Mother. I understand you feel ready to be on your own. Just wanted to say good luck. Hopefully things work out for you and I won’t be dragged into rescuing you again.”

“Hello Brian. Many sons wouldn’t have to be dragged into helping their mothers.”

“Many mothers loved and nurtured their sons who are happy to help them in gratitude for their mother’s love. Let’s not pretend we ever had that type of relationship. Again good luck on your own and good bye.”

Brian left and Joan frowned.

“He is such an exasperating man. So self-righteous with so little cause!”

John walked over to his grandmother.

“Good bye Grandmother. I hope you will make out fine at home. You know Mother and Uncle Brian agree about very little. The one thing they do completely agree about is that their father was an abusive drunk and you were a remote, emotionally distant mother.

Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin have done a lot for you and as far as I know you have never said thank you. You have said mean and hurtful things to them and about them to Peter and me. It seems to me that you are happiest alone and are doing everything you can to be sure everyone avoids you.”

John followed Brian out the door. Peter smiled at his grandmother. He came over to give her a quick hug and kiss on the cheek.

“John is right Grandmother you really are amazingly ungrateful for everything the Uncles have done for you. The time I have lived with Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin have been the happiest time if my life. I love them both and am grateful for everything they have done for us. They had no obligation to do this for us but they are both just good, kind men.

You are so hung up on the fact that they are gay that you can’t see what great people they are. I feel really bad that you are going to be alone at home but I guess John is right and that is what you really want. My Christmas wish for you is for you to realize all that you are missing out on. Good bye.”

Peter left the pool house. Joan sat for a few moments before getting up and starting across the room. Partway to the door she shook her head, stiffened her spine and went back to her chair and bible. She had been tempted but knew she had to remain strong.

A short time later Alice and Cassie came to drive Joan back to the city. It was a mostly silent trip. Joan went into the grocery store with them and insisted on paying for the groceries herself. Once they dropped her off at home Alice turned to Cassie.

“Good bye and good riddance!”

Cassie chuckled.

“She is one of the most negative people I ever dealt with. She is not even a glass half empty person. For Joan Kinney that glass is empty, dried and back in the cupboard.

This two hundred dollars is really a lot of money for what I did today. Do you think I should give a hundred back to Mr Kinney?”

It was Alice’s turn to chuckle.

“Brian would never take it back. Spend it on your girls and have a Merry Christmas!”

At the house Brian was embarrassed by both his nephews hugging him and saying they loved him when they came back from the pool house. Brian retired to the study for a glass of Beam while the boys went to the media room to play some video games.