Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry for the long delay between updates.  RL has just kept me busy.

Holiday Happenings

This story is a sequel to “Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad”. You don’t have to read that story first but this story will make more sense if you do.
Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian’s nephews. This is how they I think they would celebrate fall & winter holidays.
I don’t own the characters just the situations.

Chapter 19

Carl came downstairs, dressed for the day, he walked into the kitchen where Debbie sat at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee in her hand. When Carl leaned over to deliver a kiss he was surprised to see her cheeks wet with tears.

“Sweetheart, what’s wrong?”

Debbie grabbed a napkin to dry her tears.

“I was just sitting here enjoying my kitchen and then I thought about Brian and Sunshine paying off the mortgage on this house. I am so blessed to have all those boy in my life.

That led me to thinking about Michael and his behavior. I realized I must have done something really wrong when raising him. I know I was overprotective but what’s the alternative? I didn’t want to be a mother like Joan Kinney, that cold hearted bitch.

I think at some point I needed to pull back and let Michael make his own mistakes. I never did that and now he is still a child that can’t take care of himself.”

Carl sat on a chair beside Debbie and took her hand.

“You did what you thought was best. No one gets an instruction book when their child is born. You were on your own and you are a caregiver. That is one of the most wonderful things about you. Now that you know what you’ve done wrong in the past you can still help Michael learn to make better decisions in his life.

I’m really proud of how you have stepped back from involving yourself in all Michael’s issues. I know how hard that must be for you but we both know that is what is best. We all make mistakes in life but you have done so many things correctly you can’t beat yourself up over decisions you made with the best of intentions.”

Debbie smiled at Carl and leaned forward to kiss him.

‘I knew there was a reason I loved you so much! Get yourself a cup of coffee while I make your eggs and bacon.”

*************************************************************************************

In Washington Township Brian decided to go into the office late. He didn’t set his alarm but still woke up early. Habits are hard to break. He put on a robe and went down to the kitchen. John and Peter were finishing up breakfast and ready to leave for school.

Brian told them to have a good day. He gave Alice a kiss on the cheek which made her laugh.

“You’re in a good mood this morning.”

Brian smiled as he poured two mugs of coffee, loading his with sugar and fixing Justin’s the way he liked it.

“Well I’m not usually someone who looks back but we have been having meeting at Kinnetik to kind of close out the year and look forward to our plans for next year. It has been a great year for Kinnetik with big increases in our client base. That kind of made me think about this year in my personal life.

There have been so many changes to this household in the last year. Most of them good. I never thought that having John and Peter live with us would have turned out so well. Lindsay and Mel moving back caused some issues but having Gus so close and able to spend so much time with us has been amazing.

We acquired an art gallery and made new friends. Ted and Blake expanded their family and we have two new babies to look forward to. Justin and I have had some issues, which we probably always will, but we are happier than ever. I hate sounding this sappy but I can’t help feeling happy.”

Alice chuckled and Brian just shrugged as he left the kitchen with the two mugs of coffee. He set Justin’s coffee on his bedside table before lifting the pillow off his partner’s head and giving him a kiss.

Justin opened his eyes and sat up in bed. He glanced at the clock on Brian’s side of the bed before reaching for the mug of coffee.

“That is a nice way of waking up in the morning. To what do I owe the pleasure of your company this morning?”

Brian dropped his robe at the foot of the bed. He noticed Justin giving him a look with an evil smile on his face. Brian climbed into bed with his coffee. Justin scooted closer to him and Brian put his arm around the blond and pulled him close.

“Quiet time at the office so I thought I would give you the honor of my company this morning. I’ll head into the city later.”

Justin rolled his eyes.

“Really! The honor of your company? I do appreciate the coffee delivery.”

“Would you appreciate the delivery of my dick to your ass?

“Hmmmmmm, I’ll let you know when I’ve finished my coffee.”

Brian delivered a passionate kiss and Justin put his half-filled mug of coffee on his table.

“Okay that convinced me.”

Brian put his mug down and turned his full attention to licking every part of Justin’s body before spending some time preparing his hole. Justin was soon urging him to just “Fuck me now!” and Brian was happy to comply.

Afterward they made their way to the shower where Brian finished Justin off with a slow and thorough blowjob. After the shower Brian got dressed for work before he and Justin went downstairs for a late breakfast.

When Brian and Justin got to the kitchen Alice pushed down the toaster already loaded with wheat toast and a bagel. She pulled an egg white omelet out of the oven for Brian. Finally she pulled some thinly sliced smoked salmon and cream cheese from the refrigerator for Justin’s bagel.

Brian refilled their coffee mugs and Justin poured juice for both himself and Brian. They sat at the breakfast bar and chatted with Alice as they ate their breakfasts. Alice sipped on her own cup of coffee and smiled as Brian smiled at Justin and softly touched his cheek. Justin rewarded his partner with a huge sunshine smile.

Justin and Alice were both surprised when Brian, with his arm resting on the back of Justin’s stool, listened for a minute to a Christmas oldie playing softly on the radio and said to Justin.

“You’re all I want for Christmas is you Sunshine!”

A delighted Justin leaned over to join Brian in a kiss. Alice took their dirty plates and walked over to the sink to hide the tears in her eyes. A short time later Brian got up to leave for the office. Justin walked him to the garage door.

“See you later Sunshine. Try not to miss me too much.”

Justin smiled and stretched up to give Bran a good bye kiss.

“I have a lot to do today. I’ll probably be too busy to miss you. Don’t forget to pick up the princess stuff for JR and Nina!”

“I hear and I obey.”

Brian gave his favorite blond a quick salute before going out the door leaving a chuckling Justin behind.

Justin poured himself another cup of coffee at the kitchen bar and started to peel an orange. Alice returned to the other side of the bar.

“Alice you or Charlie need to check your bank balance tomorrow. Ted is depositing your Christmas bonus today. Brian and I really appreciate all your extra help this year. We know there has been more work with John and Peter living here and Gus spending so much time with us.

I hope you know how much Brian and I appreciate you both. We’re so happy to have you as part of our family!”

Alice smiled.

“You are too generous. I hope you boys haven’t gone crazy with this bonus. Charlie and I know you have had a lot of extra expenses this year. It cost you a lot of money to rescue Melanie and Lindsay from their financial meltdown. You have all the school tuitions to pay for all the children.

There is no need for you to give us a bonus. We get a very generous salary and we know you are going to have a lot more expenses once the babies arrive. You should let Ted know to skip the bonus for us this year.”

Justin shook his head.

“We certainly have had a lot of extra expense this year but we also have both had a very successful year. No need for you and Charlie not to get a well-deserved bonus from us. Just enjoy and don’t worry that we are leaving ourselves short.”

“Sometimes I think you boys are too generous. You and Brian are not responsible to take care of everyone you know.”

Justin just smiled.

“And that is why we love you so much and are so grateful to have you in our lives. Unlike some other you never expect or demand anything from us. And let’s be honest you take just as much care of us as we do of you. And now I need to get started on my errands. I have a lot of stuff to do today. We’ll be busy with Gus this weekend.”

Justin got decked out in his winter outdoor gear. His heavy leather jacket, ski cap and gloves. His first stop was Station Square to pick up Brian’s Christmas gift, a custom made vicuna overcoat. It was ludicrously expensive but Justin knew Brian would love it.

While at Station Square Justin picked up several pair of cashmere socks as stocking stuffers for John, Peter and Brian. The next stop is Target where Justin picks up a few more stocking stuffers and a new pair of gloves for Gus who is always misplacing his gloves.

Back in Washington Justin drove to a small house on a side street. He knocked on the front door and Florence Mann greeted him with a smile. Florence was a seamstress that Alice had recommended to Justin. Both JR and Nina were currently in a “Princess” phase. Justin had purchased a large doll for each girl. Florence made princess dresses for the dolls and a matching dress for each girl. Justin had sketched what he had in mind for the dresses.

The dolls were wearing their dresses and sitting on the living room couch. Beside the dolls were the matching dresses for JR and Nina. The dresses had lots of shiny fake jewels, sequins and gold trim. JR’s dress was a deep rose color and Nina’s was a sapphire blue. Justin was thrilled with the dresses.

Brian was picking up tiaras, necklaces and bracelets at a costume store to complete the princess look. Justin picked up Nina’s dress and was impressed by the workmanship.

“Florence! These dresses are beautiful. They are absolutely perfect, the girls are going to love them. You did a fabulous job.”

“Thank you Justin. I’m glad you are pleased. It was fun for me to create these dresses. I’d love a picture of the girls and their dolls.”

Justin smiled.

“I’ll make sure you get that photo.”

Justin handed Florence an envelope with cash to pay for the dresses. Florence put the girl’s dresses on hangers and covered them with plastic. Justin took everything out and loaded it into the SUV before driving home.

Charlie helped Justin carry his purchases up to the studio. Justin quickly wrapped Brian’s overcoat in paper he had specially painted. Once the gift was wrapped Justin hid it in the painting vault. Brian always maintained he didn’t care about gifts but Justin knew that Brian hated not knowing things. Gifts for Brian had to be carefully hidden.

In the city Brian stopped by the costume store to pick up the Princess paraphernalia that Justin had ordered. While he waited for the clerk to get the package from the back room. Brian looked around at the displayed items.

He smiled when he saw the contents of one table. There shining in the winter sunlight was a crown that was perfect for “King Ted”, a slightly smaller crown that would be suitable for “Prince Blake”. Nearby was a rack of velour capes with fake ermine trim. Brian chose two capes, one bright purple and the other emerald green. He took those along with the two crowns over to the counter.

Brian knew that Princess Nina would love these things. He couldn’t wait to see the look on her face when she unwrapped them at Debbie’s house on Christmas Eve. He had an evil smile on his face when he thought about the look on Ted & Blake’s faces when Nina made them wear the crowns and capes. Brian needed to be sure that he brought his camera to Debbie’s house.

*************************************************************************************

Debbie was working the lunch shift at the diner. She spotted Michael as he came through the door. He took a seat at the counter and when she has a free moment she went over to take his order.

“Hi Honey. What can I get you?”

“I’ll have a bacon cheeseburger and a strawberry shake.”

“”You look pretty casual, guess you didn’t have any interviews today.”

“Ma! It’s a week before Christmas. People aren’t thinking about hiring new employees.”

Debbie rolled her eye before walking away to turn his order into the kitchen. It was a busy time in the diner so Debbie delivered Michael’s food but didn’t have time for any conversation.

When things quieted down a little Debbie went over to Michael with a dish of ice cream.

“Michael, I talked to Mel last weekend about JR’s list for Santa. There were a couple things she was concerned about getting. She wasn’t sure they would fit into her budget.”

“Ma, what do you expect me to do? I don’t have any money coming in. Ben took the money I made from selling the stuff from my store. Ben bought a few things for JR but we don’t have a lot of cash to spare.”

Debbie frowned.

“I told you that you could pick up some shifts here! We can always use someone to help bus the tables. JR is your daughter you owe it to her to make sure her Christmas is great. You can’t let her be disappointed with Santa!”

“I can’t be a bus boy at my age. What would people think?”

“Who cares what people thinks! Everyone know you closed down the store so they know you need to make money. You have to put your child’s need first. That’s why I worked here all the years when you were growing up. I used to work every shift I could before Christmas so I could be sure that Santa brought you everything you wanted.”

“Ma! You were the only one buying me presents. There are other people buying for JR. She isn’t just depending on me.”

“Well thank god for that!”

Debbie delivered her final words, dropped his lunch check in front of Michael and walked away.

Michael much preferred the always supportive mother to this new behavior where Debbie has started to call him on his poor decisions and life choices.
He put some money on the counter to pay his lunch bill and rushed out of the diner.

*************************************************************************************

At Kinnetik Ted came in to Brian’s office to go over preliminary end of year numbers and discuss proposed profit sharing bonuses to the staff. Ted looked over at Brian who had a big smile on his face, an unusual expression for Brian.

“What is that look for?”

“What look are you referring to Theodore?”

Brian couldn’t help thinking about Ted and Blake in their “royal raiment” and smiling at that thought.

“You have a weird smile on your face. It’s unnerving.”

“I guess I am just filled with the spirit of the holidays.”

Ted frowned and shook his head.

“Somehow I find that difficult to believe. Could you just try not smiling until after our meeting?”

“Bah Humbug Theodore. I’ll try to rein in my holiday spirits.”

Ted sat in one of the guest chairs and passed Brian a packet of papers.

“I’d appreciate you reining in those spirits.”

Brian chuckled as he studied the spreadsheets showing the estimated annual profits and the recommended bonuses. Brian had a few questions and okayed the bonuses.

“Why isn’t your bonus listed here?”

“Blake and I talked about this and since you are giving Viola the reduced rent on her apartment I am going to pass on my usual bonus.”

Brian now had a frown on his face.

“Apples and oranges Ted! That apartment building is still making money. The reduced rent was a request from Mother Taylor. She would be upset to know you were foregoing your bonus because of her request. You know that I do my best to never upset Mother Taylor. Give yourself the appropriate bonus based on the profit sharing formula. No arguments! Have the bonus emails sent out to everyone. Thanks for all your good work this year. I appreciate it.”

Ted nodded but knew better than to say anything to Brian about the compliment.

Brian packed up his laptop and left the office before the bonus emails got sent. That saved him from anyone wanting to thank him in person. He was taking Friday off and planned to work next week from home. He hoped by the open house next Friday most employees would be over the need to express their thanks.

When he got home he quickly changed his clothes before taking his purchases over to the studio. Justin laughed at the “king & prince” crowns and capes. After a little afternoon delight Brian and Justin went downstairs to check with John and Peter about how they think they did on their exams. The boys were done school until after New Years.

Gus had a half day of school tomorrow and then his holiday vacation started. He was coming for a long weekend. He was going home Tuesday and would be at Debbie’s on Wednesday for her Christmas Eve dinner. He would spend Christmas morning with his mothers and his fathers would pick him up in the afternoon to have Christmas dinner with them. The schedule had involved LOTS of negotiations between both sets of parents that included a couple angry hang-ups by Mel. Eventually Jennifer, informed by Justin how upset Brian was by the scheduling impasse, intervened and impressed upon Melanie just what she owned Brian and Justin. Melanie actually admired what a strong woman Jennifer was and respected her opinions. With Mel being more reasonable Jennifer had no trouble devising a schedule that everyone was happy with.

John and Peter were having cookies and milk in the kitchen when their uncles came downstairs. Both boys felt good about their exams and were looking forward to the Christmas celebrations. Justin told the nephews that he and Brian were picking up Gus at school the next day and going to the diner for lunch. John and Peter were welcome to come along if they wanted. Both boys said they would be happy to go along to pick up Gus. Justin said Gus would be thrilled that his cousins were coming along for school pickup and lunch.

Dinner was seafood gumbo served with dirty rice with lemon meringue pie for dessert. All favorites of Brian’s. After dinner there was a ping pong tournament pitting Brian & John against Justin & Peter. Brian & John emerged as the winners after three hard fought games.

*************************************************************************************

When things slowed down at the diner Debbie called Melanie at her office. She asked her about JR’s list for Santa and whether everything was covered. Mel let her know that Justin had called earlier in the week. He ordered the remaining items from JR’s list on line and had them sent to Mel’s law office.

Mel thanked Debbie for checking with her and said they were all looking forward to Christmas Eve at her house. Debbie hung up and thought for a moment about the difference between Michael and Brian & Justin. Michael really only thought about himself and how things effected him. Brian & Justin were always making sure the people they cared about were taken care of. It made her think again about how she raised her son and the mistakes she must have made. She was determined to force Michael to finally grow up.

*************************************************************************************

The next morning was cold and frosty so Alice had a big pot of oatmeal simmering for breakfast. There was brown sugar and raisins to top off the oatmeal. Brian stuck firmly to his dry wheat toast and shook his head at Justin’s huge bowl of oatmeal that he topped with lots brown sugar and raisins. Alice brought a spoon to Brian “to stir his coffee” which he did use to steal some of Justin’s oatmeal.

Justin told Brian to get his own bowl but Brian replied he just wanted a taste and Justin was being selfish. John and Peter chuckled from their side of the table and Alice told Brian & Justin not to squabble first thing in the morning, it was bad for their digestion.

After breakfast Justin insisted they bring the family room Christmas tree inside from the garage so it could droop before they decorated it the next day. Brian attempted to say he had to check his email. That earned him stern looks from both Justin and Alice so he decided his email could wait.

Alice called Charlie to come help the boys get the tree inside, in the stand and looking as straight as possible with a lot of feedback from Justin. When they were finished John & Peter looked amazed at the largest Christmas tree they had ever seen inside a house; Brian looked exasperated and Justin had a huge smile on his face and eyes shiny with unshed tears.

Brian looked over and seeing the expression on Justin face he walked close to his partner and pulled him close in a hug. Justin looked up into Brian’s face and Brian couldn’t help smiling back before planting a kiss on those inviting pink lips.

Brian suggested they all go upstairs and get showered and dressed. In the master bathroom shower Brian gave Justin a “holiday blowjob” followed by a thorough rim job until Justin told him to “fuck me now!”. John and Peter took turns taking their showers and were still down in the family room well before Brian & Justin appeared dressed for the day.

On the ride into the city Justin suggested they sing Christmas carols but that was firmly vetoed by Brian. Instead John & Peter talked about school while Brian made faces at Justin.

Peter cleared his throat loudly.

“You know Uncle Brian we can see the faces you’re making in the rear view mirror. We could be singing Christmas carols!”

Justin burst out laughing at the sheepish expression on Brian’s face as he muttered “Sorry”. A properly chastised Brian actually participated in the school discussion for the rest of the trip. Justin, out of the range of the rear view mirror made faces at Brian.

When Brian parked at the Fort Pitt School all four of them went inside. Since it was early dismissal day Gus was still in his classroom. When Gus saw them come through the classroom door he excitedly pointed out “his Daddies and his Cousins” to his friends. After wishing his friends a Merry Christmas Gus rushed over to his family.

“Are we all going to Grandmom Debbie’s diner for lunch?”

“Sure thing Sonny Boy. That was your request, even your cousins came for lunch at the diner.”

A delighted Gus led the way to the car. He was happy to sit in between his cousins as he related everything that happened during his half day at school. Brian turned to Justin.

“Remind me to work all through the holidays next year!”

Brian parked down the street from the diner. Gus walked between his cousins, holding their hands. Just as he hoped they lifted him off the sidewalk and swung him while Gus squealed with delight. Somehow it was even more exciting than when his Daddies did it.

When they walked into the diner Brian groaned, Justin started laughing, John & Peter were stunned to silence and Gus looked around wide eyed before announcing “This is AWESOME!”

Debbie hurried over to them wearing a bright T shirt which had a message in bright green letters: Don your GAY apparel.

Gus looked up at her.

“Grandmom! Your diner is beautiful. It looks like Santa’s workshop.”

Debbie gathered him up in a hug and gave him a sloppy kiss on the cheek. When she put Gus back down she gathered a startled John & Peter in a hug.

“How fucking lucky am I to have all these good looking boys come to see me.”

Justin continued to laugh as he got his hug and Brian just shook his head as Debbie gave him a bear hug and a kiss on the cheek. She immediately tried to rub the lipstick mark off Brian’s cheek.

“Easy Ma! Let’s try and leave a little skin on my cheek.”

Debbie slapped his arm but smiled at his “Ma” comment.

The diner manager, who had mostly made his peace with Brian, wished them “Happy Holidays” as Debbie proudly led them to a booth.

John & Peter slid in one side and Justin and Brian sat on the other side of the booth with a smiling & excited Gus between them. As he stood on the bench seat and looked around the diner some of the regular waved at him and Gus happily waved back. There were multi-colored lights on every possible surface. Scattered around the diner were animated figures of Santa, Mrs Claus and assorted elves and reindeer. Interwoven with the decorations were rainbow flags, banners, stickers & pins.

“I never saw such great Christmas decorations. Did Grandmom Debbie do all this herself?”

Brian was too stunned to answer. A smiling Justin got Gus to sit down.

“I think Debbie had a lot of help but I’m sure all the decorations were her idea. Debbie really loves Christmas decorations.”

Debbie came over to take their orders. Gus couldn’t contain himself.

“Grandmom Debbie these are the best Christmas decorations I ever saw!”

Debbie had a huge smile on her face. John looked across the table at Brian.

“Gus wait until you see the decorations at home. Uncle Justin had the whole house decorated.”

Gus almost vibrated with excitement. Part of him wanted to head for home immediately but the larger part wanted a cheeseburger, fries and a chocolate milkshake. The hungry part of Gus won. Everyone but Brian opted for the same lunch choices as Gus. Brian stuck to his turkey sandwich. Justin leaned down to whisper in Gus’s ear that they would have to guard their fries. Gus turned to look at his Daddy and giggled.

“What’s so funny Sonny Boy?”

“Papa just warned me to guard my fries but you can have some of my fires if you want Daddy.”

Brian pulled Gus close to his side.

“Thanks Sonny Boy. I know I can always count on you!”

Gus leaned against his Daddy’s side with a smile that went from ear to ear.

Debbie was standing and chatting with them when Justin saw her frown.

“What’s wrong Deb?”

“This boy, Joe, just came in. He’s been here the last few days. He’s too young to be out on his own, there’s something up there. He’s been roughed up by someone, I know the signs to look for.”

She glanced quickly at Brian when she said that before she met Justin’s eyes again.

“He just gets a cup of soup and pays with coins but always leaves something for a tip. He’s a sweet boy. He worries me. I tried getting him to eat something more but he only wants what he can pay for.”

Debbie shook her head, put a smile on her face and walked over to the counter where Joe was sitting.

Justin turned to Gus.

“Hey Little Man, want to plan a game with me?”

“Sure Papa! What’s the game?”

“See the boy Grandmom Debbie is talking to? Let’s go tell him that we were counting the people that came in the diner. We’ll say that we decided to buy the tenth person their lunch as an early Christmas present.”

Gus smiled and slid out of the booth with Justin and they walked over to the counter where Joe was sitting and chatting with Debbie. Justin tapped Joe on the shoulder and the startled boy turned quickly.

“Hi. I’m Justin Taylor and this is my son Gus.”

Gus stuck out his hand like his Daddy had shown him to do when he met new people. Joe smiled and shook Gus’s hand.

“Hi Gus. I’m Joe. It’s nice to meet you.”

Justin had a big smile on his face.

“Gus and I are having lunch with my partner and Gus’s cousins. While we were waiting for our food we counted people coming in to the diner.”

Gus nodded.

“Papa and I said that we should buy lunch for the tenth person who came in the diner as an early Christmas treat.”

Justin continued to smile.

“Joe, you are the tenth person to come through the doors. So we’d like to buy you lunch.”

“You don’t have to do that. I can buy my own lunch.”

“We don’t mean to say you can’t buy lunch it is just a silly game we are playing. We don’t mean to insult you, just buy your lunch.”

Joe looked down at the smiling Gus and smiled back at the little boy.

“Okay you can pay for my soup.”

Debbie gave Justin a look that clearly meant she wanted Joe to have more than just soup. Justin nodded at her.

“Okay Debbie. A bowl of soup for Joe. What else do you suggest for lunch today?”

Joe shook his head.

“I was just going to have a cup of soup. That’s all you need to buy me.”

Gus spoke up.

“Papa and I always have a cheeseburger with fries and a chocolate milkshake when we come to Grandmom Debbie’s diner for lunch. It tastes awesome. That is what you should have for lunch.”

Joe smiled again at Gus.

“Okay Gus. Is it okay if I have a strawberry shake instead of chocolate?”

Gus nodded.

“That would be okay.”

Debbie looked very pleased and winked at Justin.

“Okay Joe! A bowl of soup, a cheeseburger with fries and a strawberry shake coming right up.”

Gus had one more addition.

“Grandmom Debbie, you should send some lemon bars home with Joe. After his lunch settles; the lemon bars can be his dessert.”

Debbie quickly added lemon bars to Joe’s order despite his protests. Justin and Gus went back to their booth where Debbie delivered their food.

“Thanks Gus and Sunshine. I’m so happy you got Joe to have a substantial lunch."

When Debbie left Gus turned to Justin.

“Papa does that boy not have enough to eat? Is that why we played that game?”

Brian and Justin looked at each other and Brian shrugged. Justin put his arm around Gus.

“Yeah Gus. Grandmom Debbie is afraid that he doesn’t have enough to eat so we played the game so she could give Joe a good lunch.”

Gus was quiet for a minute.

“Doesn’t Joe have a Mommy or Daddy to take care of him?”

“I don’t know Gus. Grandmom Debbie thinks maybe he doesn’t have anyone to take care of him.”

A thoughtful Gus took a couple bites of his sandwich before turning to Brian.

“Daddy I know that there really isn’t a Santa Claus. I haven’t told Mommy and Mama yet and I don’t want JR to find out. If you buy me less presents could you please give Joe some money so he won’t be hungry anymore?”

Brian was unsure what to say so he looked at Justin. John & Peter were smiling at their little cousin. Justin put his hand on Gus’s shoulder.

“Gus, I’m not sure Joe would take money from us. People don’t always want to take money from people they don’t know. They don’t want charity, they want to take care of themselves.”

Gus looked up at Justin.

“Can we go ask Joe if he would take some money, so he won’t be hungry?”

“Sure we can. Come on with me.”

Brian leaned over and gave Gus a kiss on the top of his head.

“I’m really proud of you Sonny Boy. You are a very special boy.”

Gus stood up on the seat and gave Brian a kiss on the cheek before taking Justin’s hand and walking over to the counter. Gus tugged on Joe’s sleeve and Joe turned on his stool.

Justin noticed a couple people looking their way.

“Joe could Gus and I please talk to you? We can go back by the kitchen for a little privacy.”

Joe looked a little startled but agreed. Gus took his hand and they walked back by the kitchen pickup window.

Gus looked up at Joe.

“I asked my Daddy that if he bought me less presents for Christmas could we give you money so you won’t be hungry. So how much money do you need? My Daddy and Papa have lots of money so they can afford to help you.”

Joe looked angrily at Justin.

“It’s Debbie who’s worried about you. This is all Gus’s idea. I told him sometimes people don’t like to take money from strangers but Gus wanted to ask you. It was his idea to get less presents.”

Debbie came up behind them.

“Maybe you could bus table here honey. We can always use a bus boy.”

Joe turned to her.

“Under the table or do we have to fill out forms?”

Debbie sighed.

“On the record only, no under the table.”

Joe shook his head. He stooped down to Gus’s level and gave him a hug.

“Thank you so much Gus. You are really a nice guys and I appreciate you wanting to help me but I’ll make out okay on my own.”

Gus frowned.

“I think you should let my Daddy and Papa help you. Its Christmas time and I don’t think anyone should be hungry at Christmas. We are going to Grandmom Debbie on Christmas Eve, she always makes tons of food. I’ll have dinner on Christmas dinner with Daddy, Papa and my cousins and Grandmom Jen and Tucker and Aunt Molly. I don’t want you to be hungry when we have so much to eat.”

Joe’s eyes shone with tears and he found he couldn’t answer Gus. Justin spoke up.

“Joe maybe you could look at this as kind of a gift for Gus. We don’t want him worrying about you. There’s a motel just down the street. It’s not fancy but they have efficiency units at a reasonable price.

Brian and I would like to pay your rent for a couple weeks. That will give you time to think about what you want to do after the holiday are over. You can eat your meals here at the diner and they will put it on our tab. It would really make Gus happy. I hope you’ll let us do this for Gus’s sake.”

Jos looked down at the hopeful expression on Gus’s face and just nodded his head.

Justin looked down at Gus.

“Gus you go back to the booth and let Daddy know Joe agreed to let us help him.”

Gus gave Joe and his Papa quick hugs arounf their legs, smiled and ran back to the booth. Debbie appeared with two boxes.

“I boxed up your lunch and some lemon bars. You can microwave the lunch at the motel.”

Joe took the boxes, Justin grabbed his jacket from the clothes hook by their booth and they walked out of the diner. Justin stopped first at the small food market down the street from the diner. The owner said hello to Justin. Joe was surprised the store owner knew Justin by name.

Justin arranged a hundred dollar credit at the store for Joe who protested he didn’t need to do that. Justin said Gus would expect no less. Justin then went up and down the aisles and threw some basic food in a shopping basket. He paid for the items and handed the bag to Joe.

“This will get you started.”

At the motel Justin was again greeted by name. He made arrangements for a room for Joe. The clerk said they had a room that had been used by someone who was into water sports so it had a new mattress and new carpet.

Joe looked a little shocked but Justin agreed that sounded like a good room. He paid for three weeks rent. Joe got the room key and gave Justin a hug.

“Thank you!”

Justin smiled.

“Gus will be very happy you let us do this for you. Thank you! If you need anything or just want to talk with someone Debbie is very understanding and will keep whatever you tell her a secret. She really helped both Brian and me when we needed someone.

Take these next weeks to think about whatever has happened in your life and how you want to move forward. Good Luck!”

When Justin walked back in the diner Debbie got his half eaten lunch from the kitchen where she was keeping it warm. Justin told a delighted Gus that he got Joe a motel room for three weeks and made sure he would have plenty of food. Justin asked Debbie to arrange for Joe to get meals at the diner and keep a tab for him and Brian to pay.

John and Peter were impressed by Gus but not surprised that the Uncles were so open to helping someone down on his luck. Joe looked about their age and they knew what it was like to think there was no one to help you.

When they left Debbie cried as she hugged Gus and told him he was best fucking kid in the world. When they got outside Brian picked up Gus to carry him to the car and told him how proud he was to have a son who is so special.

Gus just put his arms around Brian’s neck and held on tight. Nothing made him as happy as his Daddy being proud of him. On the ride home Gus suggested they all sing Christmas Carols. Brian managed not to groan as Justin, John and Peter all said what a great idea that was.

When they got into the house Gus was amazed at the Christmas decorations in the kitchen and family room. Justin told him they were going to decorate the tree in the family room tomorrow.

John chuckled as Gus kept turning around to make sure he saw all the decorations.

“Gus. Let’s take your backpack up to your room. Peter and I will show you all the house decorations. They are amazing.”

Gus happily ran off with his cousins. Brian and Justin both called after them.

“No running on the stairs.”

Brian and Justin brought Alice up to date on what happened at lunch. She dabbed at her eyes about what a sweet boy Gus was.

An embarrassed Brian told her that Gus got that from his mother.

Alice shook her head.

“I know you can’t mean that. I have never seen Lindsay or Melanie do an unselfish act. Gus gets his sweetness and concern for others from his Daddies. I am very proud to be a part of this household. Charlie and I love and respect both of you.”

Brian announced he had to check his emails and hurried to the study. Justin shrugged and gave Alice a hug.