Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Holiday Happenings

This story is a sequel to “Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad”. You don’t have to read that story first but this story will make more sense if you do.
Brian and Justin are established partners, sharing custody of Gus and raising Brian’s nephews. This is how they I think they would celebrate fall & winter holidays.
I don’t own the characters just the situations.

Chapter 16

The four travelers claimed their luggage at the Pittsburgh airport and went outside where a town car picked them up. As they turned into their driveway Brian turned to look at Justin with a smile and put his hand on his thigh. Justin smiled a full blown sunshine smile, little gestures like this made him realize how much Brian cared for him.

The house was outlined in multi-colored lights and electric candles illuminated every window in the front of the house. Santa, his sleigh and reindeer were on the front lawn. An illuminated Mary & Joseph were in a wooden stable beside the front porch. Justin insisted that baby Jesus could not be put in the manger until after midnight on Christmas Eve. Brian thought he was insane, John & Peter were completely amused by this ongoing debate between the uncles.

Debbie and Carl got out of the car with Brian and Justin. Debbie looked up at the house.

“These decorations are fucking amazing.”

Brian chuckled.

“That is very flattering considering your history of holiday decorations at chez Novotny.”

Debbie grabbed Brian in a hug and kissed his cheek.

“Thanks for all you do for me. You know I love you even if you can act like an asshole a lot of the time.”

Brian just smiled and shook his head as Debbie moved on to Justin for a hug & kiss. Brian was a little startled when Carl gathered him in with a bear hug.

“You’re a great guy Brian. I really appreciate how you take care of everyone you care about.”

Brian was truly embarrassed and wasn’t sure what to say. His relationship with Carl has always been cordial but distant. He mumbled a thank you and was happy when Carl moved on to hug Justin. He thanked Justin for making their weekend in New York extra special. Justin smiled and said he was grateful that Carl and Debbie came to his show and it was wonderful to spend time with them.

As soon as the town car started back down the drive Justin called Em to let him know Debbie & Carl were on their way home. Emmett said he and Rusty had spent the day cleaning and decorating the inside of Debbie’s house for Christmas. He knew she was going to go ballistic over her renovated kitchen. Justin said to take lots of pictures.

When they got inside Gus came running from the media room. Brian bent down to gather his son in his arms. Gus wrapped his arms around his Daddy neck, gave him a kiss and told him he missed him. Justin came over and Gus leaned his way to deliver a kiss and tell his Papa he had missed him too.

Gus told them that he stayed awake until they got home so Daddy could tuck him into bed and Papa could read him a bedtime story. Jennifer, Tucker, John & Peter made their way out of the media room. They all came over to welcome Brian and Justin home.

Jennifer smiled at Gus in his Daddy’s arms.

“I think now that Daddy and Papa have gotten home it’s time for Gus to be in bed. Tomorrow is a school day.”

She came over to give Gus a hug.

“Good night honey. I had so much fun with you this weekend.”

Gus leaned down to give Grandmom Jen a kiss and Brian carried him upstairs to his room. Justin came over to give his mother a kiss. Jennifer softly patted his cheek.

“You go up and read Gus his story. I’ll be in the kitchen. I want to hear all about your time in New York.”

Tucker, John and Peter went back to the hockey game on the media room TV. When Justin got to Gus’s bedroom he was tucked into bed and was excitedly telling Brian all about the things he did over the weekend. He was surprised to hear Gus talk about what he and Kevin did with Grandmom Jen.

Brian was smiling at his manic son trying to tell him about his entire weekend. Brian was used to being the major star of Gus’s universe so he had feeling similar to Roxanne about awesomeness of Grandmom Jen and the perfection of everything she did.

Justin remembered his own experiences with his grandparents. He was the favorite grandchild of Jennifer’s parents and he adored spending time with them. He saw Craig’s parents less often but they too had always made a big fuss over him & Molly and been extremely generous with carefully chosen gifts at birthdays & Christmas.

Jack did not get along with anyone in his family. Joan had done her best to keep her family away so they could not witness the dysfunction of her life with Jack. Claire and Brian had virtually no contact with either set of grandparents.

Gus had a busy day so his monolog started to slow down and his eyelids began to droop. Brian tucked the covers around Gus and told him it was time for Papa to read him a story. Justin sat on the side of the bed so Gus could snuggle up next to him.

Brian went downstairs, planning to get a head start on answering his Kinnetik emails while Justin was occupied with Gus. He decided to go to the kitchen for a bottle of water before heading for the study. Brian forgot Jennifer told Justin she would wait for him in the kitchen. He was startled to see Jennifer sitting at the kitchen counter sipping a mug of herbal tea.

“Mother Taylor, Gus told me all about your adventures this weekend. He certainly enjoyed his time with you and Tucker. Apparently I have been misidentifying our hikes as merely walking.”

Jennifer grimaced at the “Mother Taylor” but smiled at Brian’s mention of Gus.

“I enjoyed my weekend with my boys. Kevin came for an overnight and Tucker and I beat John and Peter at ping pong tournaments both nights. I wish I could break you of calling me Mother Taylor."

Brian smiled.

“Would you prefer I call you Grandmom Jen?”

Jennifer had an exaggerated look of horror on her face.

“That’s all I need is you calling me Grandmom. Tucker is already giving me a hard time about taking a nap with the boys on Saturday afternoon.”

“I’m certain that no one would ever believe you were my mother or my grandmother. I think most people would expect me to call you Sis.”

Jennifer laughed.

“Well you have certainly chosen the correct profession, you are custom made for advertising.”

Brian shrugged.

“I think if someone saw you and Claire next to each other they would guess you to be the younger.”

“Well not that I want to be put in the position of defending Claire in any way, but she has had a much harder life than me.”

Brian grabbed a bottle of water and leaned against the counter across from Jennifer.

“Well you were married to Craig for quite a few years. I can’t help thinking that wasn’t exactly easy.”

Jennifer thought a few moments before replying.

“I know you will find this hard to believe but for quite a few years I was genuinely fond of Craig. For the first few years of our marriage I actually loved him. At least I thought I loved him. I think if he hadn’t rejected Justin we might still be married. It was comfortable and safe even if we had stopped loving each other.”
Brian was intrigued.

“Are you sorry with how things turned out?”

Jennifer laughed.

“Oh my god NO! I wouldn’t trade my life now for any part of my life with Craig. Of course I wouldn’t want to not have Justin and Molly but there is nothing else I treasure from my time with Craig. He always wanted the stay at home, dependent little woman. I fulfilled that role for a long time but it never quite felt comfortable. Again I loved being a stay at home Mom when the children were young but before they were born and after they started school I was bored stiff at home.

I suggested working at the store and Craig was horrified at the idea. He didn’t mind using the money from the trust fund my grandparents set up for me but he couldn’t have his wife working. Now I can hardly believe I went along with that thinking.”

Justin walked into the kitchen.

“Well Mom you really tired Gus out. He lasted about three pages of the story before he was out like a light. How did it happen that Kevin was here for an overnight?”
Jennifer had a smile on her face.

“That sweet little boy, I enjoy every minute I spend with him and Gus. Roxanne called shortly after I got here on Friday afternoon. Patrick mentioned that I was staying here this weekend. Kevin insisted his mother call and arrange a visit. Isn’t that adorable. I said he should come for an overnight. Gus was thrilled. I had planned to see if Kevin could come over on Sunday and make cookies. I had aprons and chef hats for Gus and Kevin. Alice made regular dough and gluten free dough for me.”

Justin shook his head and smiled.

“Aren’t you afraid Patrick felt left out?”

“No I’m not; Mr Smartypants! Patrick and his Dad had a shopping day planned for Saturday. I did invite him to come and stay.”

Brian and Justin both laughed before Brian announced he was going to the study. Justin took his arm as he walked past him.

“Just an hour of work, please.”

Brian leaned over to deliver a kiss.

“Okay Sunshine.”

Jennifer looked at her son with a smile.

“Want some herbal tea Honey?”

Justin nodded.

“Sounds good but I can get it.”

Jennifer was already on her feet.

“Sit and relax. I don’t get many chances to pamper you anymore. That is Brian’s job these days.”

Justin chuckled.

“I just don’t like to see him overwork. He would spend all his time working on his laptop if I don’t distract him. Did you have any interactions with Joan? More to the point did Gus have any questions about who was staying in the pool house?”

“I went out to say hello when I got here. Joan didn’t seem interested in talking with me and I don’t have any interest in spending time with her so it was a short meeting. John and Peter delivered her breakfast and lunch without Gus noticing. Alice took care of Joan’s dinners. When the boys went hiking they went the long way around the pool so Gus doesn’t know anyone is staying in the pool house.”

Justin rolled his eyes.

“Brian doesn’t want Gus to have anything to do with Joan. I can’t disagree, she is vile. Alice asked if Joan wanted her to get Christmas cards or gifts for John and Peter. Joan gave her twenty dollars for each boy. She has plenty of money. Can you imagine twenty dollars for Christmas gifts for your grandsons?

I bet you are spending close to a hundred each on John and Peter. I added another twenty for each of the boys and we got them Washington Academy hoodies. I imagine the boys will be surprised to get any gifts from Joan.”

Jennifer shrugged.

“I tried very hard to stay under a hundred each. I can’t understand Joan. She must be lonely but she pushes everyone away with both hands. Well let’s forget her. How was your weekend in New York?”

They sipped their tea and Justin told his mother all about the weekend.

*************************************************************************************

The town car parked in front of Debbie house. The driver put their luggage on the porch. Carl attempted to tip him but the driver told him that Mr Kinney had taken care of everything. Debbie was surprised to see lights on inside the house.

Carl unlocked the door. Emmett and Rusty were sitting on the sofa. Debbie noticed a sheet covering the doorway to her kitchen and her holiday decorations displayed in the living room.

“What are you two doing here and why is that fucking sheet over the kitchen door?”

Emmett stood up and gave Debbie a hug.

“It’s a surprise for you from Teddy and me.”

Debbie looked mystified.

“A surprise in my kitchen?”

Emmett and Rusty pulled the sheet down and Emmett switched on the kitchen light. At first Debbie was speechless. She stared at the bright white cabinets with their sleek metal handles, the colorful glass tile backsplash and the shiny black countertops.

Finally Debbie looked at Emmett and then at Carl.

“What the fuck!”

Emmett squealed and hugged Debbie.

“Merry Christmas from Teddy and me and of course Blake and Rusty. We had new cabinet doors and drawer fronts installed and new backsplash and countertop. I hope you like them.”

“Like them? They’re fucking amazing. You boys are fucking amazing but it’s too much. You shouldn’t spend all this money on me.”

Emmett just gave Debbie a final squeeze and let her explore her new kitchen. She tried a drawer that had previously been broken and it glided open easily.

“This drawer works, it didn’t used to.”

Emmett chuckled.

“The contractor we used did fix a few of your drawers and replaced some of your cabinet shelves. He did a great job! He was recommended by Jennifer.”

Debbie ran her hand over the smooth countertop and suddenly noticed the brand new stove.

“Oh my god and a new stove that is really too much.”

Carl walked over and put his arm around Debbie waist.

“The stove is from me Sweetheart.”

Debbie quickly turned to give him a kiss.

“It’s beautiful. You’re as bad as the boys spending all your money on me. The weekend in New York and this gorgeous fucking stove you spent too much.”

Carl chuckled.

“I already told you earlier today that you need to work on your gratitude skills. You are just supposed to say thank you when people give you a gift.”

“Of course I thank you and I thank the boys but it’s just all too much.”

Emmett came over to the couple.

“It’s not too much! We wanted to give this to you Deb. You deserve it!”

Debbie just squeezed his arm as the tears rolled down her cheeks. Carl took a clean hanky from his pocket and dried her cheeks. Emmett said he and Rusty were going to leave Debbie to enjoy her new kitchen. She gave both of them a big hug goodbye. Carl gave Debbie a kiss and said he was going to go relax in his recliner.

Debbie walked around the kitchen trying the drawers that now all opened and closed smoothly, looking in the cupboards at the new shelves and examining her new stove. She loved everything. She thought it was great that since it was the same cabinets she wouldn’t have to relearn where things were in her kitchen. She just couldn’t stop smiling.

The front door opened and Michael came in.

“Hi Ma. I thought I’d stop by and see how your weekend in New York went.”

Michael gave a quick hello to Carl and went into the kitchen. He stopped and looked around wide eyed.

“Wow! You got a new kitchen. I guess I know now why you couldn’t help me out with my store expenses.”

Carl silently seethed in the living room. He tried to stay out of Debbie & Michael’s interactions since Debbie often wound up annoyed with him when he told Michael that he was acting like an idiot.

Debbie frowned at her son.

“Michael I didn’t give you money because you are a fucking adult and you need to stand on your own two feet. Em & Ted had my kitchen redone as a Christmas gift. Carl bought me a new stove and it was all done while we were away.”

Michael looked around.

“How could they remodel a whole kitchen in a weekend?”

“It’s new doors and countertops. They fixed the broken drawers and replaced the shelves that were in bad condition. I just can’t get over how great it all looks.”

Michael tried a couple drawers that he knew had been broken. They worked perfectly now.

“Well I hope they used someone reliable. You don’t want it falling apart in a couple months.”

“Em told me they used someone that Jen recommended so I’m sure he did good work. I would think you would be happy for me and not be so ready to find fault. This was really fucking nice of the boys to do this for me.

I was worried about cooking for Christmas Even on my old stove. This new one that Carl bought me will be great. I’m really excited about the changes so I don’t want to hear any more sour grapes from you. I am lucky to have friends give me such generous gifts. First Brian and Sunshine pay off my mortgage and now this new kitchen from Em and Ted.”

Michael decides to change the topic of conversation before his mother gets really angry with him.

“Did you have a nice weekend in New York? You got back on time so I guess the bus didn’t run into a lot of traffic on the drive back.”

“We had a wonderful weekend. Friday night we went to Sunshine’s art show. Jennifer got us on the invitation list. It was really lovely. After the show Brian and Sunshine took us out to a delicious dinner at a fancy restaurant.”

“I thought you guys were going to a Broadway show? How come you wound up at Boy Wonder’s art show?”

Debbie frowned at her son’s aggrieved tone of voice
.
“We always planned to go to Sunshine’s art show. That is why we too such an early bus on Friday morning. Sunshine took us around and introduced us to the other artists. He explained the art to us, it was really amazing. Carl bought tickets for the Saturday night performance of the Cabaret.

We didn’t have to worry too much about traffic today. At dinner on Friday Brian told us he got us tickets on the same flight back home as him & Sunshine. They had a town car meeting them and after we dropped them off at their house, the car brought Carl and me home.

Wait until you see Brian and Sunshine’s house! That whole huge house is outlined in lights. There are electric candles in all the windows. They has a lighted Santa and reindeer on the front lawn and a manger scene beside their porch. It’s a fucking Christmas wonderland, so beautiful!”

Now Michael was frowning.

“Brian must hate all that crap. You know he was never that interested in Christmas. This is just more of Justin being selfish and not considering Brian’s feelings. I don’t think Brian can stand much more of this crap before he’s had enough and gets back to his real life.”

Debbie just looked at him.

“Michael go home! I don’t want to deal with you tonight. Carl and I had such a wonderful weekend. It was perfect! When we get home I see my updated kitchen and I think about how lucky I am.

You come over here and I think it will be great to share all my good news with you. Instead you try and fucking shit on everything I tell you. The kitchen remodel isn’t good enough. You’re annoyed we went to Sunshine’s art show. You think that Brian is unhappy when all anyone has to do is see how he looks at Sunshine to can see how much he loves that boy and how happy he is. Go Home before you manage to spoil my day!”

From the living room they both hear Carl say. “Amen to that!”

A shocked Michael grabs his jacket and goes out the door without even saying good bye. Debbie tells Carl she’s going to make some decaf coffee so he comes out and sits at the kitchen table. Debbie brings over a dish of Christmas cookies. They sit in the kitchen sipping coffee and eating cookies while they hold hands; enjoying the new kitchen and being with each other.

*************************************************************************************

On Monday morning Justin woke up enough to give Brian and Gus a kiss good bye and tell them to have a nice day. Once they left the bedroom he went back to sleep for another hour. After he showered and dressed he wandered down to the kitchen.

Alice was just coming through the door with Joan’s breakfast dishes. Justin smiled.

“How is Mother Kinney doing?”

Alice laughed.

“I imagine Joan would dislike that title as much as your mother dislikes Mother Taylor.”

Justin laughingly agreed as he poured himself a mug of coffee and dropped a bagel in the toaster. Alice peeled and cut up a banana which Justin ate as his bagel toasted. Brian hired a company to decorate the inside of the house for Christmas. Justin was to oversee the operation.

Justin has just enough time to finish breakfast before the decoration crew arrived. Brian had an aversion to pine needles on the floor so the decorations were largely artificial. Justin was determined there would be enough real evergreens mixed in to provide genuine pine scent.

A huge artificial tree dominated the formal parlor, the curving railing of the main staircase was draped in bunting, and every window was outlined with garland. Real and artificial red & white poinsettias were everywhere. A full sized animated Santa Claus was positioned in the entrance hall to greet visitors. Every room on the first floor of the house was decorated.

Several times Justin’s artistic sensibilities require change to be made some decorations. In the kitchen Alice supervised the packing up of the normal dishes and glassware which were replaced by Christmas themed china and glasses. Ebenezer Scrooge, his nephew Fred and the Cratchit family occupied the media room. Wooden nutcrackers lined the dining room windowsills. The family room mantel had a nativity set complete with holy family, three kings, multiple farm animals and camels. Glittering angles flew over the scene. Brian liked to cover all the bases so there was a large Menorah on the dining room buffet. In the study the symbols of the seven days of Kwanzaa were set out on the mantel.

Festive holiday pillow occupied every sofa and chair in the house. Tree branches sprayed with sparkly paint gave a winter wonderland feel to the upstairs hall. In the family room space was left for the freshly cut “family” Christmas tree, currently in the garage, that Justin insisted they decorate on Saturday.

It took several hours for the decorations to be complete. The cleaning service had been instructed to come in the afternoon so any mess left behind by the workmen was cleaned up before Brian got home. Justin picked up the boys at school. When they got home John & Peter were stunned into silence by the amount of Christmas decorations. They had never seen anything quite like it. When Alice served their after school snack on Christmas dishes and poured milk into Santa adorned glasses Justin laughed at the amazed expression on their faces.

Peter asked Uncle Justin if he didn’t think the decorations were “a little over the top”. A smiling Justin said that it wasn’t possible to be “over the top” with Christmas decorations. Justin admitted that he thought Brian arranged all this so Justin would say it was too much but Justin said he had the last laugh because he truly loved all the decorations.

When John and Peter went upstairs and saw the sparkly branches in the upstairs hall they looked at each other and burst out laughing. The uncles continued to amuse the boys. Uncle Brian trying to shame Uncle Justin with tacky Christmas decorations and Uncle Justin actually enjoying the decorations was just funny.