Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

By Xrifree & Lupin111


Brian decided to head straight for the diner instead of returning to Vanguard. He had just finished the presentation to the Spring Breeze client and was in an exceptionally good mood. He hadn't expected that. In fact, Brian hadn't expected the meeting to even go ahead as scheduled; he had been certain that Steve hadn't got the visuals done in his absence and Brian had already bought time from the client when Steve and Josie surprised him with some exceptional work in the afternoon. Brian had made some changes, but overall, he was pleased. Who knew that Steve could actually stick to a deadline and produce good work at the same time?

Steve had certainly been busy last week. He had actually worked on Spring Breeze and managed to hire an artist. Brian smiled to himself. That Justin Taylor was delicious. Brian had noticed him walking around the creative department. That ass alone would have been enough to interest him, but the kid was actually good looking, with a brilliant smile. Brian was sure that he had to be gay; the fact that Justin was practically drooling when he had first seen Brian was not lost on him. A week at the very worst, Brian thought. That's probably how long it'll take me to fuck him. He thought briefly about HR, but then dismissed the thought. The kid was nineteen. Practically a PIFA dropout. He wouldn't last more than a week, anyway. Brian would be surprised if he could even design a clearance sale ad. Blonde, good looking and nineteen. The likelihood of Justin actually being talented or even capable was slim to non-existent. Yup, perfect for a slow Wednesday afternoon, Brian thought to himself as he entered the dinner.

"Brian! When did you get back? How was Chicago?" Michael motioned him to come over (not that Brian would have gone anywhere else) and Ben smiled at him. He noticed Ted and Emmett.

"Last night. Chicago was –"

"Chicago was great, the men were hot, and you got your dick sucked off? Right?" Emmett interrupted him.

Brian frowned at him. What was with him? "That would be a summary of my first half an hour in Chicago, yes."

"Great. Now that we have confirmed what everyone already knew, can we move onto a more interesting topic? What time does his shift start?"

'Whose shift?" Brian couldn't believe that they actually had something of value to talk about that no one at the table was even interested in what he had been up to. Well, except Mikey, but he didn't really count.

"Sunshine's."

"Sunshine?" Brian looked around the table. Debbie hired someone called Sunshine?

Emmett was rolling his eyes. "Well obviously that isn't his real name – we can't remember his name, and Deb calls him Sunshine."

Brian looked at Emmett's bright pink t-shirt and snorted. "Sunshine and Rainbow Brite? I'm sure the two of you will make a charming pair."

Emmett glared at him, and Ted chuckled. "You know Brian, you'll probably find him hot too. Amazing ass –"

"Teddy, it's his smile!"

"Em, his smile makes him gorgeous, but really, it's his ass that counts."

Ben laughed. "Did either of you bother speaking to him? He's very smart…great personality."

"Only you, Professor, would value personality over a perfect ass." Brian found himself growing increasingly curious to meet this 'Sunshine'.

"Say what you will Brian, but one day, you'll realize what I mean."

"Heaven forbid." Brian rolled his eyes.

"You know, if I took Sunshine to Babylon, I think we could clean up the floor. He works the graveyard shift, and Deb said that the crowd can't keep their hands off him." Emmett seemed highly taken with his idea. "Oh my god, it's perfect! Do you think Debbie will give him a night off?"

Michael smiled indulgently. "I seriously doubt that, Em. But you could always ask."

"What is it about this…this Sunshine? There are plenty of men with good asses – or has all that technicolour finally affected your eyesight?"

Emmett laughed. "Brian, there is a good ass, and then there is the perfect ass. Trust me – when you see Sunshine, you'll be all over him."

Brian scoffed. "On the contrary, I already caught sight of the perfect ass today, in my art department no less. By Wednesday, I'd have done him, and then maybe I'll look for your Sunshine for dessert."

"Don't be so hasty to jump to conclusions." Ben was thoughtful. "For all his perfect ass and gorgeous smile, that kid is smart and he doesn't seem like someone who'd settle for just some roll in the hay. Not everyone who looks good is empty-headed."

Michael grinned and kissed Ben on the cheek. "And you are living proof of that!"

"Ugh, save us the domestic bliss quotient. So tell us Ben, what is such a dazzlingly bright fellow doing, bussing at some corner diner?"

"I think he has a full-time job somewhere else…and he's very young. Just eighteen or nineteen. He's left home, so I'm sure every penny helps."

"Oooh, fresh young meat!" Emmett clapped his hands in glee. "Brian, try keeping a straight face and telling me that you'd rather do your art department trick than an eighteen year old, bubble butted Sunshine! Though at that age, I might have trouble smuggling him into Babylon…"

Despite his apparent disinterest, Brian was very curious to see this Sunshine. For all his campiness, Emmett recognized talent when he saw it, so if Emmett was gushing about this Sunshine, Brian knew that guy must be hot. Well, this week was getting better and better…Justin Taylor at work, and Sunshine at the diner. Brian smiled in anticipation.

 



Justin was in seventh heaven. Steven had come back from the presentation with a rave review. More importantly, Brian had liked the visuals and Justin couldn't think of praise higher than that. He had spent what time was left after he and Kathy had finished the project getting acquainted with the ad executive's work. The man was a genius. He had a knack for making any product seem attractive. And sexy. He sure as hell based a lot of his material on sex appeal. Which was to be expected, Justin figured. When you were that hot, you obviously start realizing that sex sells more than anything else.

Justin thought of one of his classes at PIFA. He remembered his professor once saying that what people like is always based on three things: blood, royalty and sperm. And Brian had certainly invested on the public's horniness.

After he had heard Steven saying that the boss had loved their work, Justin had suppressed the urge to barge into Brian's office and say: "It was me! I did that!"

He pushed open the door to the apartment he shared with Ethan, balancing a hot coffee and dozens of papers in one hand, his keys dangling from the other. After Steven was done giving them all the credit in world- which was definitely well deserved, Justin thought grinning, he had immediately loaded them with the universe's biggest pile of papers and told them to start working on their next project.

Justin was no fool. He knew the Art Director was milking the opportunity to take credit for their work while he just sat on his ass and did nothing. But Justin was willing to let it go for now. He was excited that he had this opportunity to be creative, and actually have his work appreciated, even though Brian didn't know it was his work.

Brian Kinney. The man was a mystery. Justin was certain that he had to be gay. He kept replaying their meeting in his head.

If he had been single, Justin would probably sleep with him in the blink of an eye.

He pushed such thoughts away from his mind though. The fact was he wasn't single. And he probably shouldn't even think in such a way. Ethan had been nothing short of perfect from the start. Justin could never do that to him.

As soon as the door opened, Justin was greeted by violin music. Ethan gave him a small smile in acknowledgement, but didn't otherwise move from his place in front of the window.

Justin took the stack of papers over to the coffee table, and immediately got to work.

An hour later, his eyes were killing him, he was starting to get a headache from Ethan's music - it did nothing to help him concentrate, and he was seriously considering the possibility that the advertising world was not the perfect place for him.

The screeching of the violin mercifully stopped, and Ethan came to sit next to him on the floor.

"Do you want to go eat out?" Ethan asked.

Justin tore his eyes away from the illustration. "Sorry, I'm busy. Can we order?"

"Sure." Ethan shrugged. "How was work?"

"Fine…" Justin replied absentmindedly. God, this colour was killing him. Maybe orange would be better?

"Do you…"

"Ethan, I'm sorry, could we talk later? I have work to do and my shift at the diner starts in a few hours…" Justin interrupted.

"Jesus, it's not like you are the president of the company or something. I'm sure you can do this later." Ethan said annoyed.

"I want to make a good impression Ethan. They just hired me, I can't exactly slack off, you know?" Justin tried to reason with him.

"Well, this job was supposed to be temporary. And since you started working there, it's as if the world depends on your efforts. They aren't going to fire you for a little delay."

Justin snorted. "You haven't met my boss."

"Great. When am I going to see you then?"

"We live together. You see me every day…"

"Yes I see you every day. And you are always on the run. It's like I'm living alone." Ethan replied heatedly, rising to his feet.

"Why are you getting so worked up over this?" Justin asked incredulously. Hadn't Ethan been ignoring him from the time he got home because he was too busy practicing the violin?

"Why is this job so important to you?" Ethan shot back.

"You know that already." said Justin, glaring back at him. "Look, just… let me do this and on the weekend…we'll go out… I'll buy you dinner to celebrate that I got hired ok?"

"What's there to celebrate? The fact that I have to set an appointment to see my own boyfriend?"

Justin sighed heavily. "Please… can we just let this be for now? I don't want to fight."

"Fine." Ethan replied, even though it was evident in his posture that it wasn't fine with him in the least. He picked his keys up from the table, and taking his jacket and violin case, he moved towards the door.

"Ethan?" Justin called out. "Where are you going?"

"I have to work too you know." he replied acidly.

"What about take out?"

"I'm not hungry." Ethan tossed and closed the door behind him.

 


 

Justin walked into the diner from the backdoor, hoping to avoid Debbie. He was hungry, and wanted to grab something to eat from the kitchen without having to answer her twenty questions. Ethan had no doubt grabbed something to eat on the way, he thought. Justin had actually stopped to shower before starting his shift, and now he was out of time to actually eat something. I hope at least the tips will be good tonight.

When Justin crept in from the back, Kiki looked at him, and shook her head. She quietly passed him a lemon bar and a muffin. "Hurry up and eat that before Debbie comes, and get your ass out there."

Justin smiled at her gratefully before wolfing down her offerings, and then made his way to the floor. As soon as he walked out on to the floor, he was summoned.

"Hey Sunshine, over here. How are you this evening, baby?"

Justin smiled at Emmett and walked over to his booth, notebook in hand, where he could see Ted and Ben, and the backs of two other men. One of them must be Michael…but who was the other guy? That group kept expanding by the day.

"Hi Emmett, what can I get you gentlemen this…Mr. Kinney?" Justin couldn't keep the surprise off his face. Brian Kinney was here? At the diner?

"Mr. Kinney?" Emmett frowned. "Brian, you know Sunshine?"

"Hello Taylor. I didn't know you moonlighted here. And it's Brian. Mr. Kinney sounds like you're talking to my father."

Justin struggled to keep his voice uniform and answer Brian. He did not want Brian making another snarky remark "Uh…I've been working here for about a week now."

When in doubt about what to say, smile. So Justin flashed Brian one of his biggest, brightest smiles. Then he thought of something to say. "What can I get you guys?"

Brian leered at him. "You? Are you on the menu?"

"Er…uh…you're funny Mist...er… Brian."

"He'll have a coffee. I'll have some fries." Michael looked embarrassed on behalf of Brian. Ted, Emmett and Ben also gave their orders and Justin was relieved to make his way back to the counter.

Brian Kinney, his boss, the hottest man in the universe, was here. At the diner. Well, at least Justin could be sure that he was gay. Justin felt embarrassed. Brian will think that he's a total douche, working at a diner till the crack of dawn…how many junior artists bussed tables in their spare time? Ugh. Of all diners that Brian Kinney could possibly frequent, he would have to pick this one.

When Justin turned around to find Brian seated at the counter, with his friends looking on curiously from behind, Justin's embarrassment only increased. The lazy, seductive smile on Brian's face only served to heighten Justin's discomfiture.

Justin exhaled slowly and plastered another smile on his face. "Mi…Brian, can I get you something else?"

"What time are you done here?"

"I'm closing. The diner that is. I mean I have the closing shift. I always have the closing shift." Jesus Taylor, get a grip!

Brian frowned. "And you start at nine everyday at Vanguard? Are you hiding a battery pack somewhere on that body of yours?"

Justin turned scarlet as Brian's eyes roamed over his body. "It's nothing…I can manage without an issue."

"Hmmmm…I thought you might want to join us to go to Babylon. Get someone to cover for you here."

Those damn butterflies started fluttering again. "Oh I couldn't…I'm not a member at Babylon, and there isn't anyone else here…Debbie hired me specifically for the closing shift…"

Brian smirked. "And we wouldn't want to disappoint Deb now, would we?"

"Umm…no…"

Brian leaned forward, and instinctively, Justin leaned towards him, as if Brian was about to tell him a secret.

"So let me get this straight: you would rather stay here and work till three in the morning because you're afraid of disappointing Debbie, instead of coming with me to Babylon, where you could drink, dance and be the centre of my evening. Have I got it right?"

Justin felt his eyes widen. "Centre of your evening…?"

"Aw Sunshine, you didn't think I was just making conversation with you here, did you? I want to fuck you. An evening at Babylon is the perfect appetizer for a booze-filled fuckfest – one I guarantee you will remember for as long as you live. So, why don't you go to the kitchen, ask Kiki to cover for you, and we can get the hell out of here?"

"You…you want to sleep with me?" Justin couldn't believe what he was hearing. Brian Kinney wanted him?

Brian gave an exaggerated sigh. "Isn't that what I just said? Unless 'I want to fuck you' has an altogether different meaning where you're from?"

"But we can't. You're my boss. Isn't it against company policy?"

"Company policy?" Brian held his left hand up as he crossed his heart with his right hand. "I promise not to tell, and you can do the same. Fuck company policy. Besides, it isn't company policy – if I can fuck the client, I sure as hell can fuck a junior artist. At any rate, it isn't as if you're going to be at Vanguard for long."

Justin's heart rate, which was galloping at a thousand beats per minute all this time, suddenly stopped.

"What do you mean? Am I being let go? Did I do something? Did Steven say something?" Justin couldn't believe it. Steven had loved the work he did for Spring Breeze. Brian had loved the work he did – he had saved Steven's ass. Why was he being fired?

Brian looked at Justin with some amount of surprise. "Exactly how long are you planning on staying at Vanguard? I may want to fuck you, but business is business. We don't keep freeloaders. And you, my dear sweet Sunshine, are a freeloader."

"A freeloader?"

"A freeloader. A talentless hack that cannot contribute anything useful. What did you do at work today? You haven't even met anyone in the Client Service department – I know, because I asked them. First day of work at one of the biggest agencies in Pittsburgh, and you didn't so much as venture out of your cubicle. You'd be lucky if you last a week. What did you do today?"

Justin felt trapped. He knew that Brian didn't know that he and Kathy were responsible for the visuals that Brian presented. Telling him now would certainly land Steven in trouble, and Steven in trouble meant Justin in bigger trouble.

"I helped Kathy with some visuals…"

"Of course you did." Brian was back to smirking. "We're wasting time here. Get Kiki to cover your shift."

"Brian, we work together! It would be totally unprofessional!"

"So then you want to wait till you get fired? I should ask you again at the end of the week?"

Justin stared at Brian. This man was serious. He suddenly felt anger starting to bubble inside of him. Justin hadn't flirted with Brian – he had been as tongue-tied as a school kid. Yet, here he was, being picked up like some street corner hooker for a cheap fuck. He might be young and broke and PIFA drop out, but he was not some bargain basement product on sale for the highest bidder. Brian Kinney propositioning him was not altogether different from being pawed on by the graveyard shift customers.

Justin's tone was bordering on icy. "Were I to get fired, by the end of this week, month or year, the answer to your question would still be no. Sleeping with someone with whom there is a degree of mutual attraction is one thing, even if I were to meet such a person at some nightclub, but being propositioned as if I were the daily special off the menu isn't really my thing."

Evidently no one had spoken like that to Brian before, because he took a moment to recover before answering Justin. "So you're finding fault with my approach?"

Justin shook his head in exasperation. What was it with men today? First Ethan, and now Brian."I'm seeing someone Brian. I have a boyfriend. Whatever your approach would have been, the answer would still be no."

Brian tapped his index finger against the counter. "Interesting. So in order of importance as to why you won't sleep with me: your job comes first, your affronted pride comes second and your boyfriend comes a poor third. Good to know."

Justin's indignant protests fell on deaf ears, as Brian made his way back to the booth.