Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:
Brian wakes with all his memories intact, but struggles to accept himself as the man everyone loves to hate…
The Big Sleep



Title: The Big Sleep…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 1751
Rating: R, Porn…
Warnings: Angst, Love, Passion, Anti-Michael…
Beta Queen: Bigj52

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

Summary: After a series of accidents Brian finds himself hospitalized, with memory problems…

Chapter Summary: Brian wakes with all his memories intact, but struggles to accept himself as the man everyone loves to hate…

This is a short fic only three chapters, it’s complete and reviewed by Judy my beta. I’ll be posting one chapter of this fic every day, over the next three day… I hope you enjoy this one even if it is a little angsty… But don’t worry, you know me I’m all about the love…
So Enjoy Kids and Happy Reading ~ Kathleen



Part Three ~ I Remember You…





My eyes are red and swollen from crying as we wait to hear word on Brian’s condition. Michael is already demanding that he speak with Dr. Phelps, insisting that I should leave, that my presence will only upset Brian when he wakes up. Besides, he has Brian’s Power of Attorney and he’ll be making all the decisions concerning Brian’s health. After what seems like forever, Dr. Phelps comes out and gives us Brian’s prognosis; he’s sustained injuries to his head and neck. He’s in a coma but they can’t wait to perform surgery, his injuries are too serious.


Dr. Shay will be his surgeon, the same neurosurgeon that performed my surgery. He explains that Brian might have to be in traction, due to his neck injuries but they’re hopeful there won’t be any damage to his spinal cord. He’s also broken several ribs and his left arm. But there’s no internal bleeding, so we’ll just have to wait and see before we know anything else.





Deb keeps asking what exactly happened this time, as does everyone else. They keep looking between me and Michael for answers. I don’t know what to say. I can’t believe Brian’s here in the hospital again with another head injury. I’m scared to death. How many times can you crack your head open without sustaining permanent brain damage? Michael shifts back and forth nervously, looking guilty as all hell when finally Ben says, “What is it, Michael? You obviously know something, so spill.”





“I don’t! I don’t know anything! This isn’t my fault!”


Justin is too shaken up after finding Brian, not even realizing it was pizza sauce on Brian’s clothes and feet, assuming it was blood. Justin’s pacing, so worried about Brian and wishing that everyone else would just leave. He doesn’t have the patience to placate the inquisition he’s receiving. Deb just keeps asking what happened. Soon Ted shows up, announcing he’s contacted building maintenance. He knows that after the loft was broken into, the management company installed security cameras as a safety precaution. Now Michael knows he’s been caught…


He stammers, “It isn’t my fault! How was I supposed to know that he’d slip and fall?”


I can’t help screaming at him, “What are you talking about? What did you do?”


“I just stopped by with a pizza. I figured we could have lunch together, and he could explain to me how you wormed your way back into his life.”


Debbie looks at him, confused. “What happened? You didn’t push him down the stairs, did you?”


“Of course not. Someone came down the stairs as I was going up and I dropped the pizza box. It spilled on the stairs, so I picked up the pizza crust and the box and threw them down the garbage chute. I didn’t want to get my hands messy, so I left the cheese and topping where they fell.”


“You are such a lazy bastard. And you don’t feel at all responsible?”


“How was I to know it would be Brian who would slip and fall?”


Ben looks at Michael, disgusted. “It just happened to be Brian, but it could have been anyone! How can you be so senseless, so uncaring for the safety of others?”





Ben’s just about had it with Michael, who has been neglectful, if not downright absent from their relationship ever since Brian’s first head injury, and his preoccupation with Brian’s health is taking its toll on him. He leans down and puts a hand on Justin’s shoulder. “I’m so sorry about Brian’s injuries. I hope he regains consciousness soon and everything works out. I have to go, but please keep in touch and let me know how he is. You have my cell phone number.”


Michael doesn’t even look up, completely oblivious to the fact that Ben’s heading home to pack up his things and move out. Out of Michael’s life.


~~~


Brian was in surgery all day and most of the night, but Justin refuses to leave the hospital, no matter how rude and condescending Michael is towards him. Him and Brian have finally made amends, and he isn’t about to leave his side, even if he doesn’t remember him when he wakes up. He is in this for the long haul. No matter what it takes, no matter what Brian’s limitations might be, they’ll get through this together. Michael, be damned!





Brian is in recovery now, and it will be a while before they take him to his room, but that doesn’t stop Michael from insisting he see Brian immediately. Ted being Brian’s Financial Adviser, has returned with copies of his current insurance policies. Much to everyone’s surprise, after Brian’s last hospital visit, he and Ted sat down and updated all his legal paperwork. He not only changed his will, but his life insurance policy and Power of Attorney. Michael’s face is growing redder and redder as he listens. Ted informs everyone that Justin is now in charge of Brian’s estate, and it is all spelled out in his legal documents, including his Power of Attorney. Justin is in shock, never expecting Brian would change everything from Michael to him. Although he had an idea that Brian might be in love with him, he just had no idea how in love he was.


“Don’t think this is over! Don’t think I won’t challenge you in court! For all you know, he might not even remember you again.”





Justin is too exhausted to even fight with Michael, besides Michael could never afford to take him to court. He is practically destitute, especially now that Ben is leaving him. After reviewing all Brian’s legal paperwork Dr. Phelps approaches Justin and asks him to follow him to his office to discuss Brian’s prognosis. He is glad to finally meet the man Brian is obviously in love with, the man Brian thought he was married to after his first head injury. Dr. Phelps takes his time going through all of Brian’s previous hospitalizations, and what he expected Brian to experience this time around. He can’t stress enough that Brian needs time to heal, time away from all the drama of his prying, dysfunctional family.


Justin, of course, understands better than anyone how all the trauma and confusion can make you feel disoriented and fearful. How your mind can trigger panic attacks, and any little thing can set you off, making you feel guarded and unsafe. Dr. Phelps says that although Brian’s neck is severely bruised, he hasn’t sustained any permanent damage. He doesn’t expect that Brian will have any disabilities concerning his ability to walk, or eventually drive a car. While in recovery Brian has regained consciousness, but he’ll remained groggy for several more hours.


Once Brian is settled in his room, Justin sits with him, praying for him, looking for any sign that Brian is going to be alright. Brian’s eyes flutter several times, then he slowly opens them. Seeing his beautiful blond sitting there, holding his hand, makes his heart swell with emotion, as he whispers in a raspy voice, “Sunshine.”


Justin squeezes his hand, grateful that he recognizes him; he can’t help but feel the need to kiss Brian. So he leans down, without putting any pressure on Brian or his bed and gently kisses his forehead, then he kisses his eyelids, his cheeks, and finally his mouth. Brian moans, but not from any pain he’s feeling but from the emotion surging through him.


“Justin, please don’t leave me.”


Justin can’t control the tears swelling in his eyes. “Never. I’m not going anywhere.”





That seems to relax Brian, who’s still a little groggy from the anesthesia and painkillers in his system. Just having Justin there with him calms him and he drifts to sleep. So Justin returns to the waiting room, but as soon as Deb sees him she jumps up, asking, “Is he awake?”


They all start talking, asking him questions and demanding answers. Yes, he can see the anger building in Michael’s eyes when he tells them that Brian needs his rest and they won’t be able to see him right now, and probably not for a few days. Michael’s sure Justin is closing him out, denying him access to Brian, because that’s exactly what he would do to Justin, has done to Justin in the past. He asks them to be patient and follow the doctor’s orders, which right now is to have limited visitors and not to upset him while he works to regain any memory loss he might have. Most of the gang is very understanding and just so thankful that he’s finally regained consciousness and it looks like he’ll be alright.





Justin goes to the restroom and washes his face, and when he comes back out Michael and Debbie are the only ones left in the waiting room. They’re both sure Dr. Phelps didn’t mean them when he said limited visitors, they naturally assume Brian needs them. When Justin informs them that Brian is resting and that he’ll contact them when he’s ready to have visitors, they just about lynch him. Thankfully Dr. Phelps is there to answer any of their questions as Justin slips back into Brian’s room.


Over the next week Brian’s injuries heal. His head wounds don’t seem to have affected his memory this time, and he actually remembers just about everything from before and after his other head injuries. But he’s still convinced that he’s had a glimpse of their future during his first hospitalization. He goes into great detail about the huge mansion they had in West Virginia, and how Justin was a renowned artist having art openings throughout the country and Europe. He still gets excited and a little sad when he talks about their children; he tries to explain that he misses them feels like a part of him is missing.


It’s really calming to Justin that Brian is so happy and at ease talking about them being married, and even having a family. He’s so animated and detail-oriented about what he remembers about the future. Although he thinks that it’s just a little crazy remembering your future. But Justin listens patiently as Brian tells him stories of a life they’ve yet to live. The fact that he can actually give him dates and times of future events is a little freaky, but just seeing the joy and excitement on Brian’s face and in his voice lets him know that they’re going to be alright. More than all right…


The End