Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

The household enjoys a little tranquility before the ceremony.  But does it signify only a temporary peace? 

 

Gus's shrieks of delight reverberated throughout the backyard as he attempted to evade the two dogs following along behind him; he tumbled onto the grass - causing the adults to catch their breath and gasp - until they heard him giggling as both dogs tackled him to the ground and began to shower him with licks.  "Get off me! Get off me!" Gus shouted, using the same words his father had previously employed as he continued to giggle.  It was obvious he was in no pain, but instead was having the time of his life.

 

Thankfully, only the wedding tent and chairs had been erected so far for the ceremony, so there was little chance that a rambunctious little boy or two equally rambunctious companions could do much damage...yet. 

 

Brian watched carefully as his son rose to his feet and threw a stick out into the far end of the yard, laughing as both dogs took off at top speed toward it; arriving at the same time, they held onto the stick by each end at the same time in a canine version of tug-of-war, although as the smaller of the two, Xena was having a hard time keeping a grasp on her end. Sure enough, Tricky soon wrangled the stick away from his offspring and took off at a brisk trot, parading the stick around proudly as Xena tried to steal it back from him to no avail. Their antics were proving to be great entertainment for Gus, making Brian smile despite his concerns. 

 

"Well, the two dogs seem to be getting along well," Lindsay observed with amusement as she took a drink of her iced tea.  "And Gus looks like he's in heaven right now with two dogs to play with."  She shook her head as she peered over at Brian and Justin.  "You realize he's going to want to take both of them back home with him now, don't you?"

 

"Oh, feel free," Brian deadpanned with a wave of his hand, grinning in reaction to Justin's look of dismay.  He rolled his eyes.  ‘Don't worry, Sunshine.  I won't let them take away your widdle buddy."  He grimaced.  "I only wish she would STAY little...but I know better.  Her feet are the size of dinner plates already."   

 

Justin's mouth hung open as Emmett sniggered from his place beside him; so much for Brian being uninformed.  "You know about that?" he asked, surprised.

 

"Are you kidding?  It doesn't take a genius - even though I am one," he added as Mel rolled her eyes in response, "...to figure out that any animal with paws THAT size is bound to eventually catch up to them. Which means that your little bundle of furry joy is apt to turn into a mountainous mutt before too long.  Sorry, Sunshine, but your art studio may very well wind up being listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest dog house on record."

 

"Over my dead body," Justin informed him, his voice so adamant and his face so etched with consternation that it made Brian laugh.  The others grinned as they listened to their bantering, all of them knowing Brian would never get rid of their newest addition, not as long as Justin had his heart set on keeping her. 

 

Emmett listened silently to the exchange, a little envious of how much Brian loved his friend that he was willing to do something he definitely did not want to do.  He could only hope that one day he, too, would find the same sort of love that the two of them shared.  At least for now he could do his part to ensure that their wedding day went smoothly.  He cleared his throat as everyone turned their eyes toward him.  "I just wanted to remind you," he told the two grooms, "...that I'll be here tomorrow afternoon to start getting everything ready for the ceremony.  The florists and party planner will be coming, too, to start setting up the flowers and lighting, along with the DJ."  He smiled broadly at Justin and gave him a wink; he was listening attentively to every detail as everyone realized the time was drawing nearer and nearer now. 

 

"You're just going to love it, Baby!" he told him reassuringly.  "I've even got a few surprises you don't know about!" he added mysteriously.  "You're going to be the envy of every gay groom in a two-state area!" 

 

Justin nodded back at him nervously; he was getting more and more excited - as well as just a little anxious - the closer they got to the actual wedding day.  "I'm sure it'll be great, Em," he agreed.  "Is there anything I can do?"

 

Em shook his head.  "Not a thing!  This is my present to you, remember?"  He peered over at Brian before adding almost an afterthought, "Oh, yeah. Him, too."  He smirked as Brian scowled back at him.

 

"Gee, thanks; I'm touched," Brian offered as the others tried to keep a smile off their faces.  They all knew he meant that more sincerely than he was letting on, but for his sake they pretended otherwise.  Brian had offered to pay for Em's catering services - he and Justin were paying for every other household expense (his stubborn, proud fiancé wouldn't agree to do it any other way but 50/50), but Em wouldn't hear of it, appearing insulted that he would even suggest it.  He had to secretly admit that he was touched by Emmett's gift. 

 

Emmett cleared his throat, downing the last of his bottle of beer before he stood up.  "Speaking of which, I'd best be heading back into town before my helpers burn down my kitchen!" In a stage whisper, he confided, "If I leave them alone, they normally wind up eating up my profits...literally!  I think they do it to avoid going to the grocery.  Ta ta!  See you tomorrow!"  And with that, like a flash he turned and was back inside the house before they could so much as wish him goodbye.  

 

"I'm warning you, Justin," he reminded him, "if he so much as introduces even a pale shade of pink, purple, or lime green into the color scheme..." He stopped as Justin reached over to squeeze his hand, realizing he was on the verge of a minor queen-out.  He inhaled a deep breath between his lips to calm himself before letting it back out with a small nod.  The arrival of his biggest fan had definitely managed to ramp up his anxiety level.

 

"Relax, Mr. Kinney-Taylor," his partner told him with a smile.  Brian opened his mouth - prepared to utter a ‘wait a minute' to the unexpected hyphenated name - but then thought better of it, thinking that was something they were going to discuss privately later this evening - choosing, then, to remain silent for the time being.  "Everything will be fine.  I remember someone telling me that, too," he reminded him. 

 

"Yeah...just hunky-dory," Brian replied with a sigh.  When did everything change from a rather small, intimate gathering of their closest friends and family, to more of a spectacle?  Truthfully, despite all the preparations occurring, it still was going to be rather small compared to most weddings - the tent that was erected was only meant to hold approximately 25 guests, in addition to a small area for the actual ceremony, and the reception would be held under there as well once the chairs were removed for a small, portable, wooden dance floor - but all this decision-making and the unexpected variables being thrown into the wedding were starting to make him squirm just a bit.  As he peered into his partner's blue eyes, however - the ones that at once could arouse him in a heartbeat, but also calm him like they were doing now - he decided that he could withstand this temporary intrusion into their customary lives.  If only Xena was going to be temporary, too.  But as he continued to stare into the eyes of the man he couldn't imagine ever living without, he decided that he could also deal with that particular challenge as well. 

 

Nodding back at Justin in silent acknowledgment, he returned the squeeze before standing up.  "Looks like the grill's ready," he told them in explanation.  He peered out at his son, who was now throwing a couple of nylon Frisbees in succession for each dog to run after and catch, although for whatever reason each dog decided that the other's Frisbee was the better one. Shaking his head in amusement, he called out to his son, "Hot dogs will be ready in a few minutes, Sonny Boy!  You'll have to go wash up soon, and leave the dogs out there while we eat, okay?" 

 

"Okay, Daddy!" Gus responded, clapping in delight as he threw one of the Frisbees, and Tricky jumped into the air to deftly catch it in his mouth.  "Good boy!" he told him.  "Look, Daddy! I taught him another trick!  Isn't he wonderful?" 

 

Brian counted to ten; well, at least to five before he nodded.  "Yeah, Gus.  He's right up there with Houdini."  He smiled at his son's look of confusion; despite how intelligent he was, it always amused him whenever he could befuddle him, and he knew what was coming next. Gus was in the ‘why is' stage; whether he ever left it remained to be seen, since he seemed to not only be a very intelligent little boy, but also inordinately curious as well.  "Justin, explain to him what a Houdini is while I get the meat ready," he asked his partner, as Gus threw the Frisbees one more time for the dogs before latching the fenced-in gate closed and rushing up to the table containing his moms and Papa. 

 

Sure enough, the first words out of his mouth was a request for an explanation, making Brian chuckle as he placed a couple of the steaks onto the gas grill with a large, metal spatula.  He listened as Justin explained, and then smiled, his back to them, as Gus requested a couple of large bowls and two paper plates, telling his moms and his Papa that the dogs needed to eat and drink something, too, or they would feel left out.  A few minutes later, with Justin's help, the two dogs - who had been standing somewhat morosely by the back gate after Gus had left them alone like a couple of convicts behind the fence - were happily gulping down copious amounts of water out of two, large, mixing bowls before lying down next to each other to begin feasting on their dog treats under the shade of a large oak tree.

 

Sitting next to Justin several minutes later after bringing the cooked hot dogs and steaks over to an adjoining table, Brian sat back with his cold bottle of beer and his meal to reflect upon just how happy and - yes, contented - he felt right then, despite the rather unexpected and chaotic-producing canines currently residing with him.  As he gazed at his son presently being held securely in Justin's lap as he munched on his hot dog in one hand and a French fry in the other, he decided that he might be able to get through the next couple of days after all.  He caught Justin's eyes on him, then, realizing he had been caught gazing at him, and felt his heart flutter at the loving smile he received, unable to prevent a mirror smile of his own.  Yes, life was pretty damn good, he decided.

 


 

Later that Evening...Brian and Justin's master bedroom

 

"I can't believe the things you talk me into," Brian commented as he lay on his back in post-coital bliss, feeling drowsy and sated after a rather extended fuck fest with his fiancé, who was currently curled up beside him in one of his typical, I-want-to-cuddle but I dare not call it that positions, his head resting against Brian's shoulder as he lay on his side facing him, one arm flung around Brian's waist and their legs entwined.  Both of them were sticky and sweaty, but neither one wanted to move just yet; or rather, had the strength to move after the strenuous activity they had just shared.  Neither was certainly complaining, however.

 

"You mean fucking me into the mattress?" Justin replied with a smile against Brian's chest, his warm breath tickling his partner's skin as he spoke.  "I think you just did it so I wouldn't be able to walk down the aisle, but you forget; that's day after tomorrow, so I'll have time to recover." 

 

Brian snickered as he lifted his head to peer down at the blond mop of hair.  "That's what YOU think; you think I'm going to skip another go-round tomorrow?  Hardly.  I'll have another chance to incapacitate you then, so don't be claiming victory just yet. I still have a chance to get out of it."

 

Justin smiled, unafraid of Brian making good on his threat, but deciding he would play along anyway.  "Well...that assumes I'll allow you to have sex with me the night before our wedding. Haven't you heard that's bad luck?" 

 

"I beg your pardon?  Where did you hear that, Sunshine?  That might work for some hetero, blushing bride, but you are well past the virgin state now, so I don't think that applies to YOU." 

 

Justin chuckled as he raised his head to meet the sparkling hazel eyes of amusement, noticing Brian's lips curled under.  "I guess you have me there," he told him with a smile.  "But you'll have to catch me first." 

 

Brian laughed as he leaned down to peck his lips, whispering against his mouth as he pulled back slightly, "I don't think that will be a problem...but it'll be a fucking turn on watching that ass trying to get away from me."

 

Justin grinned.  "Well, to save my reputation, I'll try to act like I'm putting up a fight anyway," he told him.  "But what was that about talking you into something?" he asked.

 

"I'm talking about breaking one of our rules regarding the Warrior Princess." 

 

Justin nodded.  "Ahhh...you mean the Xena always sleeps in her own bedroom rule."  Brian lifted an eyebrow to confirm it as Justin explained, "Well, I couldn't very well let Tricky sleep with Gus, and not Xena. Gus wouldn't have liked it; surely you realize that.  He's having too much fun with both of them in his bed."

 

Brian sighed.  "Yeah," he agreed as his fingers slowly caressed Justin's shoulder.  "But it's setting a dangerous precedent, Sunshine. One that I did NOT want to make.  You know what they say...how will they live on the farm - or in this case, doghouse - once they..."

 

Justin smiled.  "...see Paree," he finished as Brian nodded.  "Yeah, yeah, I know," he admitted.  "It could make it harder for her to agree to staying by herself at night.  But it's not like she'll be sleeping on some burlap sack." 

 

Brian snorted at the understatement.  "No, that won't be an issue. The only thing she's missing right now is a memory foam topper, and a feather pillow."  He shook his head in disbelief as he watched Justin place his thumbnail between his teeth and gnaw on it; he knew precisely what they meant.  "Tell me you didn't."

 

Justin shrugged as he informed him sheepishly, "It came with the bed."  Before his fiancé could respond further, he quickly continued, "But Brian, this is Gus we're talking about! Could you really say no to him?  You can't deny that you spoil him from time to time yourself." 

 

Justin dared Brian to deny it with a flash of his blue eyes, but, of course, he couldn't.  "Touché," he conceded as Justin smiled back at him triumphantly.  "But as soon as Gus and the Munchers leave, that mutt is going back to the Taj Mahal, got it?" 

 

Justin grinned.  "Got it," he replied solemnly, crossing his bare chest symbolically with his left hand. He let out a deep breath he had been holding, relieved that Brian had acquiesced.  "Now that we have THAT settled, can we move onto some other matter?" 

 

Brian leered at him as he arched one eyebrow in interest.  "You had something in particular in mind?  I thought even at your tender age, you might want to rest up a bit.  That was fairly...strenuous...even for us." 

 

Justin smacked him lightly across the chest, tweaking one nipple as Brian grunted in reaction.

 

"Hey!" he protested.  But it wasn't exactly an unpleasant sensation, he decided, as he captured Justin's right hand in his to keep it from doing anymore ‘roaming.'  He frowned as he glanced down at their clasped hands.  "Justin, where is your wedding ring?  Tell me you didn't lose it."  He was surprised by how much that idea disturbed him; all along, he had been kidding himself that the ring didn't matter, or even the marriage, although he had no real objection to it.  He had always thought they were mere rites of passage, something to be expected when any couple (and yes, he knew by now that they were a couple, not two men who merely fucked) fell in love and wanted to spend the rest of their lives together.  He could take it or leave it.  Or so he thought.  At that moment, it astounded him at how much the idea that Justin could have lost his much-treasured ring bothered him; perhaps more than it did Justin himself. 

 

He was vastly relieved, therefore, when Justin informed him, "Don't worry; it's fine.  I put it over there."  He nodded toward the night table next to their bed, and Brian noticed for the first time the gleaming band lying in front of the alarm clock/radio, reflecting off the soft glow of the recessed lighting behind their bed.

 

Brian's brow furrowed deeper as he asked, "Why would you take it off?  I thought you liked it."

 

"I do," Justin was quick to assure him, smiling as he thought about the words he had just uttered.  He couldn't wait to say them again during their wedding in front of all their friends and family.  "It's the most perfect ring I've ever seen. You couldn't have picked out a better one."

 

"Then why did you take it off?  Ever since I gave it to you, you've been wearing it 24/7. And not only that, you insisted I do, too.  I kept my end of the bargain," he pointed out, peering down at the wedding band snugly wrapped around his right ring finger.  Being the ever-present romantic, Justin had insisted on both of them wearing their wedding rings during their engagement, but on their right hands until the actual wedding. So Brian found it unfathomable as to why he would take it off now.  He waited curiously for his fiance's reply. 

 

Justin appeared embarrassed as he explained, "I want to put the ring on your finger when we get married...when we say our vows in front of everybody." 

 

"But you'll have to take it off my right hand in order to put the ring on my left hand," Brian reasoned.  "What's the difference?"  

 

Justin hesitated; how could he explain it properly?  "I know," he admitted, as he peered down at his now-bare right hand.  It did feel empty there, strange without the familiar cold weight of the band on his finger.  "I do want to put the ring on your finger during the ceremony.  But there's another reason. We chose Gus to be our ring bearer, remember?  How can he carry the rings down the aisle if he doesn't have them?  I don't want to disappoint him, and I'm sure you don't want to, either." 

 

Brian nodded.  "Fuck. I hadn't thought about that." He smiled, leaning over on his side to loom over Justin's smaller frame.  "I was going to accuse you of being some sentimental, romantic sap.  And you still are," he added, chuckling when Justin glared at him.  "But you're also very thoughtful, Sunshine.  You're right; Gus would have been very disappointed if he wasn't needed during the ceremony.  I want him to be a big part of it," he added softly.  He held his right hand up in front of his partner.  "So do you want to do the honors now and at the wedding?  We'll take turns...you take my ring off...and I'll take something off you."

 

Justin laughed, his face flushing at the outright ogling expression on Brian's face.  "Nice try, Kinney...uh, Kinney-Taylor. But you've already taken everything off me that you can take." 

 

"How about I take that goofy grin off your face!" Brian retorted, rolling his eyes.  "And about that name..."

 

The sound of the two lovers laughing as Brian tickled Justin - and then their quite vocal moans of pleasure soon afterward - filtered through the heavy, wooden, bedroom door and spilled out into the inky blackness of the hallway.  But with everyone else asleep - including Gus, sleeping a few doors away in his bed and wedged in the middle of two canines like some tasty filling between one chocolate and one brown, furry, cookie wafer  - it didn't matter.  

 


 

Next Morning...Justin and Brian's bedroom

 

"Shh," Gus softly scolded his two cohorts in crime as he slowly opened his father and papa's bedroom door; peeking his head inside, he was disappointed to see that both of them were still asleep.  He was very hungry, and craving some of the strawberry pancakes with whipped cream and drizzled with chocolate syrup that was his papa's breakfast specialty. 

 

Unable to help himself, the child was careful to close the door behind him - leaving his companions temporarily out in the hallway - before he stealthily crept toward the bed, noticing Justin sleeping on his stomach, his mop of blond hair splayed out on the pillow and making it had to see where his skull stopped and his face began. As he stood by Justin's side of the bed, however, he could hear some whining coming from the other side of the door, and figured he'd better hurry before his father and his papa realized he had left them outside by themselves, or they woke both of them up.

 

Shaking the bed slightly, it took several seconds before a sleepy Justin turned his head and blinked, wondering what was happening.  "Wha...?"  He smiled as he opened his eyes and noticed Gus standing there, staring at him intently.  Glancing at the bedside clock, he noticed it was a little past eight.  "Gus?" he whispered, trying hard not to wake up Brian, who was sleeping on his back a few feet away.  "Everything okay?"

 

Gus nodded.  "Want some breakfast," was the short explanation.  "Can you make me some pancakes, papa?  Mommy and momma are still asleep." 

 

Justin rubbed his eyes as he slid up in bed, glad he had had the foresight to slip on his boxers a few hours ago after he and Brian had finished with their ‘activities.'  Swinging his legs over the side of the bed, he stood up, glancing behind him to note that Brian was still asleep, his mouth slightly open and his now bare right hand flung over his eyes.  Justin smirked as he noticed the profile of his soon-to-be-husband's woody underneath the thin sheet, but this time Brian would have to take care of that little problem himself. For now, he had more important matters to handle.  Placing his hand on the back of Gus's head, he gently steered him toward the bedroom door, startled when two dogs attacked him eagerly in their welcome greeting to him as soon as he opened it.  He softly closed the door behind him, distracted slightly by the excitement his appearance had generated, before turning to scoop Xena up into his arms.  "Come on, guys...and gal," he added with a smile, dodging a wet, sloppy kiss from the companion he was carrying.  "Let's go get all of you some grub." 

 

He laughed softly at the confused look on Gus's face.  "That's a not-so-fancy word for strawberry pancakes and dog chow," he explained as Gus nodded back at him in delight.  "Off we go," he told them, heading down the hallway with Gus and Tricky close at his heels.