Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

** As always, a huge thanks to my wonderful beta Kim! Also, I want to thank sincerely Eureka1 for supporting me and this story like she does. I'm so glad to have such wonderful persons by my side. And thank you all for reading!**

The Present: November 2014

Warning: angst free!!!

 

Monday, The Diner, 12:30 p.m…

 

Brian pushed the door open and entered the animated space, the sudden rush of noise assaulting his ears. Looking around, his eyes landed on his best friend sitting in a booth at the back of the diner. Michael was obviously scowling at his mother, the familiar sight bringing a grin to Brian’s face.

 

Walking over, Brian positioned himself next to Debbie, who hadn’t noticed him yet.

 

“I’m just saying that you should see an ophthalmologist! You’re not getting any younger!” Debbie insisted, obviously trying to convince her son to take better care of himself.

 

“My sight is fine, Ma! And I’m just thirty-five! I’m too young to have eye problems!” Michael scoffed, crossing his arms in front of him and sporting Brian’s favorite pout on his face.

 

“I agree, Debbie,” Brian intervened, leaning over to speak in her ear and startling her.

 

“For God’s sake, Brian! You want to give me a heart attack?” Debbie exclaimed, placing her hand over her heart in a dramatic manner, although she couldn’t help but smile nonetheless.

 

“I care about you too much for that,” Brian playfully answered, placing his hand momentarily on her shoulder. “Who would torture my best friend if you weren’t there?”

 

“Hey!” Michael protested.

 

Brian plopped onto the seat across from him. “Can we get some service, Deb? You can leave it to me to keep torturing your son.” He pressed his lips together to prevent the smile on his face from growing even wider.

 

Debbie raised her eyebrows. Brian seemed to be in a good mood. “I know I can, honey. You’ve been torturing him for the past twenty years,” she eventually replied, caressing his cheek in a motherly manner.

 

“And he always comes back asking for more,” Brian quipped with a smirk. “You raised him sooo well.”

 

Michael just rolled his eyes in response.

 

Debbie took their orders and went to serve the other customers.

 

“So?” Brian was the first to speak. “What’s up in Mikey’s Clubhouse?”

 

“I should be the one asking you that,” Michael countered. “It seems you lived quite the adventure this past weekend.”

 

Brian gazed up at his friend with a shrug. “Oh, you know… scavenger hunts are so overrated. Father hunts, on the other hand, are so much fun!” he stated cheerfully, while playing with his napkin, folding it with one hand.

 

Michael snorted. “I’m glad Jack is fine, though. You must have been so worried about him. Lindsay told me he went to the forest again?”

 

“Yeah…” Brian nodded slowly, before disclosing, “Justin found him.”

 

Michael didn’t respond immediately, confirming Brian’s suspicions that Lindsay had informed him about his presence by his side the day before. “I’m glad.”

 

“You are?” Brian questioned, raising his eyebrow.

 

Michael nodded. “You seem… happy.”

 

Brian rolled his lips into his mouth, playfully contemplating Michael’s words as he stared down, seemingly looking at his playing fingers. “Ahh. And how the fuck did you figure out that one?” he asked, eventually gazing up at his friend.

 

Michael’s eyes were twinkling. “You have this… glow or something.”

 

“And you have a death wish I’m not aware of? Since when do I allow anyone to tell me I’m glowing? You think I’m Tinkerbell now?”

 

Michael chuckled, opting to ask instead, “How is Justin?”

 

Fucker… Brian could see how much Michael was enjoying their conversation. The weird part was that Brian didn’t mind his friend’s enthusiasm. He felt pretty good too, truthfully. “Last time I saw him, he was fine.”

 

“And when was that?” Michael asked as he leaned his elbows on the table.

 

“Huh?” Brian feigned not to understand the question, but Michael just gave him a look, informing him he wasn’t fooled. Brian sighed and lifted an eyebrow before responding almost shyly. “This morning.”

 

“You mean, as in this morning?” Michael pried, the expression on his face not leaving any doubt about what he was trying to convey. He was assuming that Justin had spent the night at the loft. He was right.

 

Brian looked at him as if he was a nutcase, rolling his eyes, tongue in cheek. “Are you for real?”

 

“I knew it! You made passionate love all night!” Michael dreamily declared.  Brian briefly thought that his best friend was spending way too much time with Emmy Lou, considering he was now channeling his voice.

 

“Mikey…” The brunet tried to stop his friend from going all romantic on him, just as the busboy came to deliver their orders. Brian peered up at him and, sure enough, the young man blushed, which was quite adorable, even if completely useless. Brian would never fuck him again after all.

 

“I knew you couldn’t resist falling back into each other’s arms again. I should have bet higher. Damn!” Michael stated loudly.

 

Brian’s former trick gave him a look of disappointment before leaving to serve other customers. At least, maybe he would get over his crush now, Brian hoped.

 

“You made a bet about us?” Brian questioned, finally realizing what his best friend meant.

 

“Sure! Emmett and Ted thought you two weren’t ready yet, but I knew better,” Michael disclosed with a smug smile, obviously proud of himself. Eventually, though, his gaze softened as he peered over at Brian and declared, “I’m happy for you; for both of you. I really am.”

 

“Thanks,” Brian answered, before frowning. “I think…”

 

“So… how was it?” Michael inquired with a huge grin, as he bit off a huge mouthful of his cheeseburger, chewing with his mouth open.

 

“How was what?” Brian repeated with a dubious stare, not particularly wanting to divulge details.

 

“Come on!” Michael swallowed and took another bite, before wiping his mouth clean. “After all those years without feeling his skin against yours and missing him like crazy, I assume your reunion had to be pretty spectacular!” Michael surmised impishly.

 

“Mikey, Mikey, Mikey,” Brian chided, shaking his head and pursing his lips. “You really believe I’m going to describe my sex life to you?”

 

“Why not?” Michael pretended to be offended by Brian’s refusal. “You have no problem whatsoever fucking in the backroom of Babylon or showing your dick to every queer guy in this burg,” he countered.

 

“True,” Brian agreed, before plunging his fork into his chicken parmesan. But instead of taking a bite, he drawled, an amused gleam in his eyes, “And when was the last time the professor rammed his engorged cock into your willing ass? With you screaming at the top of your lungs to please make you come so hard you wouldn’t be able to get it up again because your balls would be as dry as a bone?”

 

Michael almost choked on his burger and coughed a few times. When he finally succeeded in getting his breathing under control, he exclaimed, “Brian! Gross!”

 

Brian chuckled. “What? You don’t want to talk about your fulfilling sex life with me? I’m so hurt, Mikey!”

 

Michael shook his head disapprovingly, but his lips turned upward nonetheless.

 

Brian smiled, too, his face indeed glowing as his mind traveled back to the night before.

 


 

Sunday Night, Brian’s Loft, Sixteen Hours Earlier…

 

Justin stared at Brian, his eyes, then his lips. He blinked, a soft, almost bashful smile appearing on his face.

 

Brian could feel the beat of his heart almost resonating in his ears, the rush in his veins unmistakable as Justin’s eyes bored into his so intensely that it was like his former boyfriend was seeing right through him, invading his very core. That’s probably why Brian couldn’t help it. He leaned in closer, but stopped just before his lips touched Justin’s, even though he couldn’t do anything to control his breathing. His heart was hammering in his chest furiously, his body reacting to Justin’s presence so close to him. Brian could feel Justin’s heat, his scent, and it was driving him crazy.

 

Justin couldn’t believe how much time had passed since he had felt Brian’s body against his. But now, he couldn’t wait one more second, so he closed that last bit of distance and covered Brian’s lips with his own. Inevitably, they both sighed at the touch, Brian instinctively drawing Justin closer, enfolding him into his arms. For all their urgency, the kiss was surprisingly soft.

 

Brian’s hands found Justin’s hair, his cheeks, his neck, his fingers dancing across pale skin, enjoying every second. His tongue slowly brushed against Justin’s lips, not seeking entrance yet, just savoring the moment.

 

Justin let a sigh escape. He felt hot, his whole body already burning with desire for the man he was kissing. When he felt Brian’s tongue seeking entrance to his mouth before withdrawing softly, his heart skipped a beat. Unlike their earlier kisses that day, this one was healing both of them, erasing past mistakes and hinting at a future together.

 

Brian could have lost himself in that kiss. He had waited so many years for this instant, and, even if he had denied it until now, claiming to everybody who was willing to listen that he was doing just fine with his life, he now accepted that Justin was it for him. He always had been, from the first moment Brian had laid his eyes on a scared-out-of-his-mind teenager standing on his doorstep and looking completely lost. Of course, it hadn’t been love at first sight, but there had always been some kind of force which had drawn them toward each other, even at the beginning when Brian tried to keep Justin at arm's length and messed with him at every opportunity.

 

It had been twelve years since that day. Twelve years since Justin had entered Brian’s life, only to never leave his mind. They might have spent eight years without seeing each other, without speaking, laughing, fighting or having sex, and yet, to Brian, Justin had always been here. Somehow.

 

Only, now, he could feel Justin’s skin. He could touch him, kiss him, hold him in his arms. And he wondered how he could have survived without this connection that was unlike anything else he’d ever felt in his life.

 

And, he needed more.

 

Therefore, Brian’s kiss became more urgent and demanding, his tongue now probing against Justin’s lips more intently, and, finally, his former lover welcomed him into his mouth. It was warm, wet, even desperate, but it was so fucking good. Brian felt the pleasure building, his cock trapped within his too-tight jeans, begging to be released, yet threatening to erupt at any moment. He felt like a fucking teenager, almost unable to exert any control.

 

As for Justin, he was flying. Ever since their first kiss on the roof, Brian had always made him feel like he was standing on the verge of a precipice and ready to fall, even welcoming it. Nothing compared to that feeling.

 

Their tongues battled for dominance as their hands began roaming over each other’s arms, chests, and thighs. Justin was sitting on Brian’s lap now, still devouring his mouth, as he started to lift Brian’s shirt from his pants.

 

As he felt Brian’s smooth skin under his fingers, though, Justin paused, leaning back to stare at his lover. Brian opened his eyes, which had drifted shut during all the caressing and kissing, and gazed up at Justin. The blond’s breath caught in his throat as he stared at his companion. The brunet was looking at him so intently, the want, the lust, the yearning, the desire; all of the feelings Justin could feel overwhelming him also reflected in Brian’s eyes.

 

And then, Brian smiled as he pushed a lock of hair back from Justin’s face. The blond felt like his heart was going to burst out of his chest. Brian’s smile had always affected him, but today he had to close his eyes to prevent the love he felt for this man from overpowering him and making him act like a fool. He could hear a voice in his head, however, telling him he had never stood a chance. He had always loved Brian. Time couldn’t alter that truth; it never would.

 

Justin took Brian’s cheeks between his hands, almost reverently, and placed his forehead against his lover’s. His chest rose and fell, his breathing the only sound filling his ears.

 

Brian began to caress his arms. At last, his hand came to rest in the crook of Justin’s neck. “You have no idea…” he breathed out, not finishing his thought.

 

“What?” Justin asked almost bashfully, as he leaned back to look into Brian’s eyes.

 

“I…” Brian began, but as much as he wanted to be open about his feelings, it was still so fucking hard to say the words. He swallowed and took a deep breath, gazing away furtively before staring back at Justin. Eventually, he disclosed, his voice slightly breaking, “I’ve missed you. I’ve missed this...so fucking much.”

 

“Brian…” Justin felt a rush of emotions coursing through him. Without thinking, he claimed Brian’s lips forcibly, all the passion he was feeling pouring into the kiss. Brian whimpered under Justin’s touch, and the blond finally removed Brian’s shirt hastily, wanting, needing to feel Brian’s warm skin under his fingers. As soon as he got rid of the shirt, he started caressing Brian’s chest, his hands not leaving an inch of skin untouched. Brian moaned as he did the same to Justin, tossing the blond’s shirt away as quickly as he could.

 

They finally broke apart, breathless. But as their eyes bored into each other again, Brian lowered his hand and gripped Justin’s hard-on, rubbing it through his pants. He smirked briefly as Justin moaned loudly, throwing back his head, his neck exposed for Brian’s mouth who, of course, couldn’t resist. He attacked him fervently, while keeping a firm touch on his groin, his fingers traveling up and down Justin’s impressive erection.

 

“Bed…” Justin breathed out huskily, knowing he wouldn’t last if Brian kept torturing him like he was doing. “Ahhh…” he groaned, the sudden rush of pleasure making his cock throb as Brian gave it a firm squeeze.

 

Brian ceased fondling Justin’s dick, but he grabbed the back of his lover’s neck and stole another mind-blowing kiss from his swollen lips. He couldn’t get enough of Justin’s taste, to the point where covering the few feet to the bedroom seemed impossible. He wanted Justin too fucking much to stop what he was doing.

 

Justin responded with equal fervency. He resumed his position on Brian’s lap, and their kiss escalated again. It was as if they had craved this for so long that it was hopeless to resist. The pleasure within their bodies was increasing with each touch, each movement of their lips. They couldn’t get enough.

 

Brian knew he was going to come any moment now if he didn’t stop, or at least ease off for a bit. He could feel his balls tingling, his cock throbbing miserably in his pants, the bliss consuming his body. Reluctantly, he leaned back, and whispered, “Coming twice in my pants in a week because of you is not in my plans.”

 

Justin smiled. “Not in mine, either,” he revealed, before murmuring in his ear, “I would much prefer for you to come inside of me.”

 

A new rush of pleasure ran through Brian’s body at his lover’s words. “Christ, Sunshine! Stop turning me on so much, or I won’t be able to fulfill your wish.”

 

Instead of teasing Brian back, Justin’s eyes turned dark as he stood up suddenly. “Bedroom. Now,” he ordered, not wanting to wait anymore before feeling Brian pushing into him where he belonged.

 

They stumbled towards their destination, fumbling with their pants as they hastily tore them off each other, and, at last, Brian pushed Justin onto the bed so that he was sprawled out on his back. The blond rose up on his elbows, his gaze transfixed by Brian’s naked body. He had almost forgotten how beautiful Brian really was.

 

Brian was staring at Justin, too, equally riveted by the body of the man before him. His pale skin had always fascinated the brunet. The sight of him lying in his bed after so long brought a lump to his throat. It was ridiculous, really, but Brian couldn’t help it. Of course, Justin was perfectly aware of the effect he was having on his companion. The young man licked his lips, and Brian felt his cock hardening more, if possible. Justin noticed, obviously, because he was now staring at Brian’s groin.

 

“Come here…” Justin finally demanded as he extended his hand. Brian swallowed, and placed one knee on the bed, raising his hand to take Justin’s. The blond pulled him down, and Brian’s body fell onto the bed, covering his lover.

 

They both felt the same spark as their naked cocks brushed against each other. Their breathing accelerated once more, and Justin raised his hand slowly to graze Brian’s cheek once before leaning forward to kiss him, while his body began to undulate sensually against the brunet’s.

 

As much as Brian wanted to lose himself in the moment, he also couldn’t wait anymore. He had to be inside Justin now, as if to claim his place back into his former lover’s life, and to resuscitate the lost bond that he was sure he would never feel with anyone else. Thus, he quickly grabbed a nearby condom and some lube from the nightstand, and released Justin’s lips long enough to apply the lubricant to his fingers.

 

“Brian, hurry…” Justin pleaded when he understood what Brian intended to do. “Yes. Yes!” He moaned, as Brian pushed a digit inside of him.

 

“Justin...” Brian breathed out huskily in the blond’s ear as he moved with a new purpose. Each one of Justin’s moans as he pushed and then retreated his finger from his ass repeatedly was like some heavenly music to his ears. Brian added another finger, wanting to drive Justin crazy for his cock, and he felt a new sheen of sweat running on his forehead, caused by the incredible pleasure he was experiencing. “I’ve waited eight years for this. I can’t wait any longer. I need to be inside of you... now.” He felt Justin opening for him even more as he pronounced those words.

 

“Brian…”

 

“Feel me.” Brian demanded as he moved his fingers in and out, Justin starting to push back wantonly, without even realizing it.

 

“Please…” the single word fell from Justin’s lips like a prayer, the blond being consumed by the blissful sensations he was feeling.

 

Brian removed his fingers and started licking and nibbling at Justin’s neck, as he used his hands to expertly roll a condom onto his cock before stroking it a couple of times with lube. Then, supporting himself on one forearm by his lover’s side, he positioned his shaft at Justin’s entrance before finally placing the palm of his hand on his lover’s face. “Look at me,” he asked Justin, wanting both of them to relish the moment they were sharing.

 

Justin gazed sideways at Brian, his eyes boring into his companion’s. He entangled his ankles behind Brian’s back, effectively trapping the brunet’s twitching dick at his opening.

 

Brian didn’t move. He wanted to forge this memory into his mind, to remember the expression on Justin’s face, the feel of his body, the perfection of their union.

 

With Brian’s hand still resting on Justin’s face, the blond raised his own hand and interlaced their fingers together tightly. He smiled, breathing out, “Do it,” before closing his eyes with a look of pure delight on his face as Brian placed their joined hands on the pillow next to Justin and pushed the head of his cock inside his lover.

 

Brian gasped. The perfect heat surrounding his dick was indescribable. He lowered his head into Justin’s neck as he stilled, afraid that the penetration would prove to be too much to bear, and that he would ejaculate too soon. Truthfully, being buried inside someone hadn’t felt so good in…too fucking long. They both were finally where they were supposed to be; where they belonged.

 

Brian withdrew slowly, before thrusting again, eliciting a groan from his lover. Justin couldn’t take it, and pushed back, earning a guttural grunt from Brian, who began moving in and out with newfound purpose. Sliding out and back in, again and again, Brian was in heaven. Rushes of pleasure were assaulting every part of his body. Opening his eyes, he paused and leaned back, sliding his fingers along Justin’s calf before grabbing Justin’s ankle, placing it on his shoulder. He opened his mouth in delight as he pushed back home, changing his angle to graze Justin's prostate with each movement of his cock. Justin grabbed his asscheeks, forcing Brian even deeper inside of him, the grunts, the moans and groans now filling the air and confirming their need for one another.

 

Justin couldn’t take it anymore, and he raised his hand to explore Brian’s torso, the pleasure at touching him reflected in his eyes. He pinched one nipple, then the other, driving Brian crazy. Every time he touched a part of Brian’s body that he already knew intimately, arousing his partner even more, Brian would increase the force of his thrusts, purposely exciting Justin more. It was like a symphony, the final part now playing at full blast, Justin using his hands and tightening his hole around Brian’s cock, Brian sinking his shaft faster and deeper inside Justin’s ass.

 

They couldn’t last. Justin was melting under the assault of Brian’s thrusts. Feeling the brunet moving inside of him was overwhelming. The pleasure he was experiencing was so intense, that no matter how many times he’d had sex in his life, nothing compared to this. Justin had never felt that way before, as if he knew he would never be happier than at that instant.

 

Brian felt the fire slowly rising, before it finally overtook his body as his orgasm built, his dick throbbing in response. Justin must have sensed it, too, because he suddenly groaned louder and lowered his hand to his balls, barely touching them and letting his fingers dance up and down along his cock a couple of times before warning, “I’m coming...I’m coming!” and exploding between them as Brian finally let go and fucked him with short thrusts, barely withdrawing, hoping to amplify his lover’s orgasm.

 

Brian opened his eyes, watching Justin fall over the edge, feeling his come surging across their skin, and he lost it. He leaned in, capturing Justin’s lips, swallowing his delightful sounds of pleasure as he, too, succumbed and came deep inside Justin, his muffled cries echoing his companion’s. His orgasm was too strong, though, and he couldn’t help himself as he finally had to lean back and let a high, loud moan escape his lips. He paused, still deeply buried inside the perfect heat of Justin’s ass, savouring this instant of pure rapture.

 

Brian collapsed onto Justin, the blond engulfing him in his arms. Their breathing was ragged, their skin wet and sticky, but they didn’t care. The world could have ended right then, and they wouldn’t have moved.

 

After a few minutes, Brian moved his head, burying his nose more deeply into Justin’s neck, inhaling his scent, still amazed that it was real, that Justin was really there, lying in his bed and holding Brian in his arms. Justin chuckled, releasing Brian to rub his own forehead, and declare playfully, “Your cock is still like some God’s.  In fact, I think this is my new number one fuck.”

 

Brian smirked. “Have you ever doubted me? I’m here to please. And when it comes to you...” He straightened up to look down at Justin, pursing his lips firmly before admitting honestly, “It’s always a number one fuck.” He blinked softly as he started to play with Justin’s hair.

 

Justin felt it again, that feeling consuming his heart as he stared up at Brian. His companion sported a peaceful expression on his face, a soft smile playing on his lips. Justin realized that he had rarely seen this side of Brian, when he looked as if he were truly happy and fulfilled. And to know he was the cause of Brian’s happiness filled his heart with joy.

 

God, he was horny again, his dick hardening once more.

 

Brian suddenly frowned, as he looked down between their bodies, before giving Justin a playful stare. “I think you have a problem I need to take care of immediately.”

 

“You do?” Justin feigned as if not understanding.

 

“Uh, huh…” Brian responded with a nod. “It’s a huge, hard problem, you know? Luckily for you, I’m an expert at relieving that kind of pressure.”

 

“So you say…” Justin quipped. “Fuck!” he gasped as he felt Brian’s lips engulfing him. “Okay… I believe you,” he stated with a laugh which quickly turned into a moan.

 

This was a night neither of them would forget anytime soon.

 


 

Monday, The Institute, 5:30 p.m…

 

Brian walked towards Jack’s room with an assured step. He felt lighter than he had in days, and didn’t even realize that the other patients and staff members crossing his path were quizzically staring at him when he greeted them in an almost friendly manner with a small smile gracing his face.

 

He paused in front of Jack’s door and knocked before turning the handle and quietly entering the room. Peering around, his eyes landed on his father’s silhouette, finding him half-lying, half-sitting on his bed. His glasses were sliding down his nose as he frowned at the book in his hands. He was obviously trying to decipher the words on the page, while pronouncing them hesitantly out loud.

 

Brian’s lips turned upward at the sight as he leaned sideways so that he could brace his shoulder against the wall by the door. Jack was so focused on his book that he hadn’t noticed him yet. The expression on his father’s face looked so much like Gus’s when Brian used to spend time teaching him how to read - except for the glasses - that it caused an unexpected, overwhelming feeling to well up inside his chest. He grinned, before finally taking the few steps separating him from his father.

 

Jack looked up, his eyes suddenly shining with happiness. “Brian!” he exclaimed as he abandoned his book on the bed and straightened himself to greet his son.

 

“Hey…” Brian greeted in return, not quite comfortable enough yet to call his father ‘Dad’ although he knew he wanted him to; he somehow understood it would only be a matter of time before he would do it again. Jack stood up and engulfed him in a tight hug, and for once Brian didn’t resist. He even welcomed it. “How are you?” he asked gently as Jack released him, both men taking a seat on the bed.

 

“I’m happy because you’re here!” Jack exclaimed, as if it were the most natural thing in the world to say. “What about you? How are you? How is Justin? How is Gus?”

 

“They’re okay,” Brian responded with a genuine smile, happy to see that his father seemed to be perfectly fine today. “In fact, we’re joining them tonight.”

 

Jack’s eyes lit up. “We are?”

 

Brian nodded. “Debbie invited us to her place. I thought you’d be happy to leave the Institute for a while.”

 

“Happy? Are you kidding? I’m more than happy! I’m thrilled!” Jack babbled with glee, beaming and taking Brian’s hand in his own before squeezing it tightly. “Thank you! Thank you!”

 

Brian laughed, letting his father crush his fingers. “No need to thank me.”

 

Jack released his grip, now just covering his son’s hand softly with his own. He gave Brian a meaningful look, and something in his gaze changed. Whereas he had looked like a child a minute before, now he looked like a man, his expression so much more mature, and causing Brian to feel a sudden lump forming in his throat. “You didn’t have to do that. So, yes, I need to thank you.”

 

Brian frowned. “Do what? Accept an invitation on your behalf?”

 

“No.” Jack shook his head, before explaining, “You didn’t have to be here for me. To reconnect with me. I know you avoided seeing me for a long time.” In reaction to Brian’s questioning stare, Jack clarified, “Dr. Collier explained it to me. That you came to see me, but that you were unable to talk to me for many years. You were traumatized; you were alone. And I’m so sorry.”

 

“I…” Brian withdrew his hand and looked away, afraid to respond. He wasn’t sure what to say, or if he would be able to hide the emotions currently choking him.

 

“You don’t have to explain, you know?” Jack placed his hand gently on Brian’s shoulder before his son peered at him again. “I just…I’m so grateful that you gave me a chance. That you let me in. You didn’t have to.”

 

Brian blinked. When had his father grown up so much and gained such insight? How was it even possible? Even more so, did he even realize how much it meant to Brian? How much his words mattered?

 

“Dad,” the endearment escaped his lips without Brian even realizing it. When he gazed at his father again, Jack was smiling softly.

 

“Yes?”

 

“I…” Brian tried, but, of course, he was too overwhelmed to think of a single thing to say. Waiting a few seconds to compose himself, he explained, “We’re going to be late if we don’t leave now.”

 

Jack actually laughed. Then he replied, his innocent side taking over again, “I’m ready to go. Just help me with my shoes. I want to put on the ones with laces, but I can’t tie them. My fingers are too big!”

 

“You do realize that Gus will have to teach you how to tie your shoes soon, right?” Brian quipped as he went to retrieve Jack’s leather shoes from his closet. Kneeling down in front of his father, he helped him put them on and started to tie the laces.

 

“Can he teach me how to play soccer, too?” Jack asked eagerly, peering down at his son’s magical hands. “I know both of you play soccer a lot. I want to try.”

 

“Sure,” Brian agreed. “You can ask him tonight.”

 

“Great!” Jack clapped his hands excitedly, before questioning, “Will Justin be there?”

 

Brian’s hands surreptitiously stilled before he resumed his task. “He will. Everybody will be there, I assume.”

 

“Where is he now?” Jack inquired.

 

“At work. We’ll pick him up on our way.” Brian finished tying the laces, placed his hands on his thighs before rising to his feet. “Come on. And don’t forget to take a scarf. It’s fucking cold today.”

 

Jack obeyed, retrieving a pale blue one from his closet and winding it several times around his neck before picking up his warm coat. He didn’t want to get cold.

 

He couldn’t wait to be at Debbie’s. He also couldn’t stop his lips from curling upward as he followed Brian out of his room.

 


 

Thirty Minutes Later...

 

Justin hopped up the three stairs to Debbie’s porch while Brian and Jack were still busy locking the Jeep. He rang the bell and waited for Debbie’s face to appear at the door.

 

It had been such a long time since he’d crossed this threshold, and he was currently experiencing a mixture of anxiousness and excitement. Yet, seeing the twinkle in Debbie’s eyes as she peered at him through the curtains he couldn’t help but beam, his nervousness quickly vanishing.

 

Turning around, he looked at Brian and Jack and smiled, before finally hearing the door open. A second later, Debbie greeted him as only she could do. “Sunshine!” she yelled, taking him into her arms. He let her, raising his arms to hug her, too, before stepping back.

 

She then focused on Jack and Brian, who had yet to ascend the three stairs separating them from her. Brian was the first to speak. “I saw you this morning. You don’t need to hug me.” He peered over at Jack, who obviously didn’t know how to greet her, before placing an arm around his father’s shoulders and adding cheerfully, “As for my dad here, though, if you hug him, he will hug you back, and you will probably both strangle yourselves to death, just to prove you’re the best, tightest hugger in town.” He gazed back at Debbie with a goofy smile, before releasing Jack and trotting up the steps, joining Justin.

 

“I want a hug,” Jack stated anyway, doing an excellent imitation of a whining Mikey and making Justin bark out a laugh, while Brian scowled playfully by his side.

 

“So, you will have a hug!” Debbie declared, opening her arms wide for Jack to come closer. He joined her and took her in his arms, surprising her when he lifted her from the floor and hefted her into the air for a few seconds.

 

Brian leaned closer to them, addressing Debbie and barely preventing himself from laughing too hard. “Don’t tell me I didn’t warn you,” he drawled, before turning to look at Justin and stealing a soft kiss from his lips, as Jack released a flustered Debbie. Eventually, they all moved inside, where Michael, Ben, Emmett, Drew, Ted, Blake, and Carl were already gathered.

 

“Guys!” Michael was the first to stand up from the couch. “Jack! It’s good to see you!” He went to greet Brian’s father first, glancing briefly at Justin with a smirk, the blond rolling his eyes as he understood that Michael was aware he and Brian were a couple again and had probably informed all their friends already.

 

“Michael!” Jack approached the brunet and hugged him, too. Michael barely winced. He was used to that type of hug.

 

Jack repeated the same ritual with everyone, and they all let him, knowing it was easier not to protest. Even Drew played along and allowed Jack to take him into his arms, even if Jack had a hard time lifting him very high. “You’re so hard!” Jack marveled as he released the football player and touched his chest. Brian burst into laughter behind him when he heard his father’s comment and witnessed the look on Drew’s face.

 

Twenty minutes later, they were all sitting around the table in the dining room, waiting for Lindsay, Melanie, Gus, and JR to arrive. Brian was balancing himself on his chair with Justin by his side, his hand casually resting on the blond’s shoulder as he listened to the gossip. He was amused by the stares his friends, his father, and Debbie were giving him, so he decided to give them a show, without allowing himself to think about what he was doing. He grabbed Justin’s chin and covered his lips with his own.

 

The problem was, even if he had done it just to prove a point, he quickly forgot what point he was trying to make as he lost himself in Justin’s taste, soon probing deeper and entering his mouth with a sigh. It was only then that he heard his father making a weird noise - was he squealing with glee or just being murdered? - and realized what he was doing. Brian reluctantly leaned back, just in time to see Jack stand up and begin a surprising dance consisting of rolling his shoulders and tapping his feet as he half-walked, half-jumped in the direction of the dining room.

 

“Do you think he has lost it for good?” Emmett asked Ted, who was sitting by his side.

 

“I think he’s doing a pre-nuptial tribal dance or something. You know, this ritual is quite common in some tribes who practice their own customs and cultures,” Ted responded with a nod as he sipped his beer.

 

“Now he’s singing like a bird!” Debbie exclaimed, dumbfounded but amused. “Jack! You’re imitating their song magnificently!”

 

Jack finished his tune before responding to her with a question. “Have you ever noticed that birds are often depicted beside angels in paintings and other art?”

 

“No, I didn’t know that. But now that you say it, I have seen birds painted side-by-side with angels,” Debbie confirmed enthusiastically, seemingly not surprised in any way by Jack’s question.

 

“The song I was performing is the love song of the nightingale! It’s for my savior - Brian, and for Justin - Brian’s savior!”

 

Brian cleared his throat loudly while Justin suddenly stood up to join Jack. The blond wanted to spare his partner from having to deal with a ridiculously overly-romantic gesture from his father, as well as what would no doubt be a monologue about angels, saviors, and all those heroes that fascinated him. Justin grabbed Jack’s arm softly to force him to stop moving as he stated gently, “I’m grateful for the song, Jack; it was beautiful.”

 

“Really? You liked it?” Jack asked genuinely, not sure his son appreciated his gift as much, but overwhelmed by Justin’s enthusiasm nonetheless.

 

“Of course I did! Now, why don’t you come back and sit with us?” Justin proposed, and Jack nodded. Everyone had understood by now that Jack was performing to celebrate the renewed relationship between Brian and Justin; therefore, they were all smiling knowingly. Emmett even sported a dreamy expression on his face. Brian, who was sitting across from his former roommate, had to tap him with his foot under the table, accentuating his gesture with an incredulous glare to make him stop acting like a romantic fool.

 

Emmett smirked at him. He fucking smirked.

 

Brian was about to advise him to shove his stupid grin up his ass when he heard his son’s voice from the doorstep.

 

“Daddy! We’re here!” the little boy exclaimed, as he walked in without knocking or waiting for Debbie to come and greet him. Brian heard Lindsay softly reproaching him from the porch, reminding him that it was rude to barge into someone’s home without being invited first, but Gus barely responded to her reprimand with a “Sorry, Mom!” before making a beeline for his father.

 

Brian had barely enough time to turn around before Gus was climbing onto his lap and pulling himself into his arms. Brian hugged him back before placing a soft kiss on his forehead and grabbing his cheeks to make his son look at him. “Don’t listen to your mother, Sonny Boy. She is a WASP.”

 

Gus frowned as he looked over at his mother. “She’s a bug? I got stung by a wasp once.”  

 

Everyone chuckled as Brian tried to explain that it wasn’t that kind of ‘wasp,’ finding no help from Lindsay as she gave him a ‘you got yourself into this mess, you can get yourself out of it’ look; she grinned back at him, taking off her coat and her gloves.

 

Melanie and JR followed her, and everyone greeted them cheerfully, while Gus waved at everyone before toddling over to sit next to Jack.

 

“Come here!” Jack exclaimed and Gus happily jumped into his welcoming embrace. Jack stood up with the little boy still in his arms and hefted him up before walking around in circles as Gus squealed in delight.

 

Brian stared at the scene unfolding before his eyes, and felt another tug at his heart. Jack’s relationship with Gus was so different from the one he had experienced with his father when he had been his son’s age. The love Gus and Jack shared was palpable, innocent, and impossible to fake, and Brian wondered if Jack had ever looked at him with the same kind of joy in his eyes that he was so obviously feeling right now with his son. Back then, Jack had rarely showed that he cared about him. He was barely home, preferring to spend his free time drinking, bowling, or enjoying the company of his poker friends - instead of staying at home with his family. Brian could remember one time when his father had helped him ride his first bike, patiently explaining to him where to place his feet on the pedals, and holding onto him so he wouldn’t fall. That kind of scene had been rare, however, and as Brian had grown up, they had dwindled away, the fights and occasional punches becoming more and more frequent until that last, eventful argument; the one that had stolen away a part of Brian’s life forever.

 

Lost in thought, Brian felt Justin’s fingers slipping into his palm, and he looked up at his lover, realizing he had zoned out for a minute. Justin’s gaze was soft and understanding, and Brian realized his companion knew exactly what he had been remembering. Justin squeezed his hand and placed his head on Brian’s shoulder; it was at that moment that Brian realized  that the past didn’t matter anymore. However Jack had acted in the past was buried and gone; today Brian was proud of the man his father was. And he was proud to be his son.

 

They all had dinner, animated talk and laughter filling the air as they ate. While everyone shared some coffee afterwards, Jack succeeded in convincing the girls to let Gus play soccer with him in the backyard of Debbie’s house for a little while. Brian and Justin agreed to be their cheering section, utilizing the stairs by the back door as makeshift bleachers. Night had already fallen, the small area being illuminated by a nearby streetlight and casting a special glow over the impromptu playing field.

 

“Jack is in love with your son,” Justin teased Brian as they stared at the two unlikely players who were goofing around and having fun, Jack laughing wholeheartedly as he chased Gus around the backyard, flailing his arms in the air as he warned his opponent that he was ‘going to get him.’  Gus merely squealed and shrieked in delight as he succeeded in evading his would-be captor, obviously having the time of his life.  It was hard, however, to tell which one was enjoying it more to Brian - his son or his father - and the scene brought an amused smile to his face.

 

“Well, if Gus pukes because he hasn’t been able to digest his dinner, I hope my Dad will still be as enamored with him when he has to clean him up,” Brian replied with a playful smirk, just as Justin’s phone started to ring.

 

Justin retrieved it from the inner pocket of his coat, looked at the caller ID, and froze. Brian sensed his hesitation and peered over at him. Justin breathed out, “It’s Jesse.”

 

Brian felt his heart clench for a moment, but he replied nonetheless, “Take the call,” before standing up to join his father and son.

 

Justin gazed up at Brian’s form before pressing the ‘accept-call’ button. “Hello?” he greeted his friend, his heart beating loudly in his chest.

 

The conversation didn’t last long. After a couple of minutes, Justin hung up, still astonished by what Jesse had just revealed. He stared at the phone in his hand for a long time before eventually getting up, his gaze still glued to the screen.

 

“Everything alright?” Brian inquired as he walked closer to Justin. The blond finally looked up, and Brian realized immediately that the phone call wasn’t just a social call. “What happened?” he probed, feeling the tightness in his chest returning as he waited for Justin to relay the news.

 

“Jesse…” Justin began as he gazed away momentarily. He finally found the courage to peer at Brian. “He’s back.”

 

Brian stilled.

 

‘“Jesse is back,” Justin repeated, waiting for his lover to say something, even if he didn’t have a clue about how Brian would respond.

 

Justin wasn’t surprised when Brian stayed silent, though.