Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

*** Special thanks to my wonderful beta ***

The Present: November 2014

 

 

 

 

November 2014, Sunday, 3:15 PM…

 

 

 

Justin watched through the passenger window, the scenery outside - the houses, the buildings, the cyclists they passed, the men, women and children walking on the sidewalk, the dogs, the open fields and wooded areas - all whizzing by them in a blur as Brian determinedly drove them toward their destination.

 

 

 

Brian hadn’t said a word to him since they had left the girls’ house and entered the car. As Justin peered over at him, he noticed how tight his jaw appeared to be. Brian was cursing like anyone would on occasion when he was irritated, but he was more pissed than Justin had ever remembered him to be, which clearly indicated how tense he was actually feeling. Brian hadn’t come right out and said so, but Justin could tell by the look on his face that he was angry and scared that something had happened to his father.

 

 

 

“You okay?” Justin finally asked, breaking the tense silence and taking advantage of the fact that Brian had stopped at a red light to question him.

 

 

 

Brian peered back at him and blinked; he had almost forgotten that Justin was there with him. “No, I’m not,” he retorted curtly. His knuckles were white from gripping the steering wheel too tightly. “I fucking hate it when he does this.”

 

 

 

“Jack’s done it before?” Justin inquired, surprised.

 

 

 

“A couple of times,” Brian vaguely revealed, as he finally put the car into motion when the red light turned to green.

 

 

 

They stayed silent for a minute. Brian sensed that Justin was hoping that he would elaborate more about his statement without daring to question him outright in more detail about Jack. To his slight surprise, Brian realized that he wanted to share this with Justin, so he eventually explained, “He runs off, and then he suddenly realizes that he doesn’t know how to get back, so he just sits somewhere and waits for someone to find him. He’s convinced people magically know where he’s going, because he claims an angel is looking after him…” Brian snorted. His father truly was so infuriating sometimes.

 

 

 

“At least, his world seems to be a wonderful place to live,” Justin mused. “Do you know where he might go?” He would be so worried if a member of his family disappeared regularly, so, he was hoping that Jack would choose the same place to go whenever he escaped.

 

 

 

“He often stays close to the Institute, somewhere in the middle of the trees, or near the lake. He doesn’t like the street much. He says the ‘music’ from the cars is too loud there, and it hurts his ears.” Brian huffed at the thought, peering at Justin who was sporting a funny expression on his face. “If you ask me, I really think he should try Babylon once. Then he would discover what loud music really is.”

 

 

 

Justin laughed. “I’m not sure he would appreciate neither the men nor the music that much.”

 

 

 

Brian shrugged. “Jack has poor tastes in both, anyway. He loves Justin Bieber; that should tell you something.”

 

 

 

Justin laughed some more. Brian couldn’t help smiling in reaction, pinching his lips before concluding, “Anyway, the park is almost always where the staff finds him.”

 

 

 

“...But?” Justin could already guess that it probably wasn’t that simple. If it was, Brian wouldn’t be so pissed and stressed out right now.

 

 

 

Brian sighed loudly. “There’s a 90-acre forest a couple of miles from the Institute that’s on remote, private property, and if he goes there by himself, he can get lost. Anyone could. And considering that they haven’t found him yet, there’s a pretty good chance that’s where he is right now. Lucky us,” Brian quipped sarcastically. “Three years ago, he spent the night out in that forest, and was completely disoriented for a month afterward. He didn’t remember who I was for three days,” he reported, his usual, indecipherable mask firmly back in place.

 

 

 

“Jesus,” Justin reacted. “We have to find him quickly, then.” There was no way Jack could spend an entire night in that forest, especially knowing how cold it could get at this time of the year. Justin didn’t want to even think about what would happen if he did.

 

 

 

“We?” Brian couldn’t help a small smile from appearing on his face at Justin’s use of the word ‘we.’

 

 

 

“Yes, WE have to,” Justin repeated firmly, placing his hand on top of Brian’s impulsively.

 

 

 

Brian felt a warm sensation invading his body as Justin’s hand covered his, relishing the feeling of his skin on his, and the heat of his touch; Justin eventually removed his hand, and Brian swallowed before taking a left turn toward their destination. They were less than five minutes away from the Institute now. “One of the staff is still searching for Jack near the Institute, so there’s no need to go there,” he announced curtly, still affected by Justin’s gesture. “I will drive us to the forest. Carol - the nurse on duty - was going to try and alert the owners anyway, but there’s no reason why they would be there.”

 

 

 

“Why do you say that?” Justin frowned.

 

 

 

“The Andrews - that’s their name - are retired and share their time between the Pitts and Australia. Pretty sure at this time of the year, Australia would win,” Brian informed him before adding, a mixture of annoyance and fear in his voice, “At least, the last time Jack decided to take a trip to the forest, it was on a warm summer day. I swear, I’m going to kill him when we find him!” He snapped, his voice trailing off.

 

 

 

“Did Carol call the police?” Justin inquired.

 

 

 

“She was going to, but I sincerely doubt they’d send a squad car out for a single brain-damaged, old man, even though it’ll be sunset in less than two hours now, ” Brian replied cynically. He smacked his hand against the steering wheel in concern as well as annoyance. “Fuck! We need to get to him before it becomes too dark,” he stated, unable to keep the worry out of his voice.

 

 

 

“We will find him, Brian,” Justin reassured him. He could be wrong, of course, but he would do all he could to help Brian and Jack, even if that meant staying up all night until he was located.

 

 

 

It was frightening for Justin to realize how much he cared about Brian and his family. Right now, he couldn’t imagine another place to be; it was as if he belonged here. His feelings should frighten him, but they didn’t.  Quite the contrary. He felt at peace, and he was certain that he was where he was supposed to be.

 

 

 

He was falling in love all over again. He and Brian had experienced so much since they had broken up. They’d built their path without relying on anyone, had dealt with whatever life had thrown their way, and had fought and won each and every battle they had encountered. Sure, it had not been an easy journey, but Justin was proud of what he had accomplished. And now that he could see the type of person his first partner had become, he could feel his heart beating faster at the sight of this man. Justin had loved an inexperienced, cynical, damaged, young man once, but the man Brian was today was so much more: a loving father, a wonderful son, a faithful friend. He was the person Justin had always believed he could become.

 

 

 

“We will find him,” Justin repeated firmly, his eyes eventually gazing back at the road.

 

 

 

Brian peered at him surreptitiously and saw the determination in Justin’s posture. He’d seen it before. When Justin focused all his energy on something, he was unstoppable. Brian knew there was a good chance that the next few hours would turn into hell if they didn’t find Jack, but having Justin by his side ready to support him no matter what truly helped. His ex- boyfriend had always been a force of nature when he decided to be. Brian knew it might not be enough this time, but if he wanted to find his father, Justin was definitely the best ally he could have wished for.

 

 

 


 

 

 

Ten Minutes Later, the Forest...

 

 

 

The majestic trees were rising all around them. The wind was blowing softly for now, but Justin’s smartphone had announced some rain toward the middle of the evening. The two men entered the forest through the main south entrance, Brian’s cell glued to his ear. A minute later, he finally clapped it shut and sighed.

 

 

 

“Anything?” Justin asked. Brian had called Carol to find out if there had been any news.

 

 

 

“They’re still searching for him near the Institute. The Andrews were unreachable, but Carol called the police and they’re sending three officers over. They’re going to search for Jack near the north entrance of the forest, since we’re covering the south part of it. She told me that a couple staff members will join us soon to help search for him, but I think we need to start without them,” Brian informed him, presently studying a map of the forest in front of him that was encased inside a wooden, glass box that had been mounted to a large tree.

 

 

 

“We should go our separate ways. We will cover more ground. And we both have our cells,” Justin reminded him. “Do you have a GPS, so that I can send you coordinates if I find him before you? You can even figure out my location that way.”

 

 

 

“I’m not leaving you,” Brian adamantly insisted, shaking his head.

 

 

 

“Brian. It will get dark soon. This is the best solution. It’s too cold at night, so we have to take our best chance at finding him as soon as possible,” Justin reminded him. Brian considered the sense of Justin’s plan. It probably would allow them to cover more ground while it was still daylight if searched for Jack separately.  However, he wasn’t sure how he felt about them being apart after dark.  

 

 

 

“Okay; let me check your phone,” Brian replied as he reluctantly acquiesced, realizing Justin was right. He took the blond’s cell and checked the battery level and his applications. Satisfied, he gave it back to Justin. “Here, now we’re using the same GPS.  So here is what we’re going to do:  we will use it to inform each other of our location. You send me a text every twenty minutes or so to confirm to me your precise location, and that you’re okay.” Justin was about to protest, but Brian didn’t give him time to utter a word, ordering instead, “No talking. Just do what I say, and shut up already.”

 

 

 

Justin stared at him for a few seconds. He eventually replied mischievously, smirking playfully, “Yes...Master.” No matter how stressful their current situation really was, teasing Brian was just too tempting not to take advantage of, in addition to being a good way of alleviating the tension they were both feeling at the moment.

 

 

 

Brian raised his eyebrows in response, giving Justin a pointed stare and trying hard not to grin back. “You don’t want me to answer that.”

 

 

 

“I wouldn’t be so sure if I were you,” Justin couldn’t help goading him, before turning serious again. “Okay; here…” He pointed to the map on display in front of them. “According to this, there are two main trails that diverge from here:  one that heads southeast, and the other one southwest.” He pointed to both directions on the map with his fingers, studying a each option, before deciding, “I’ll take the southwest path and you take the other one.”

 

 

 

“Deal,” Brian agreed, peering at the two smaller trails in front of them that headed off in opposite directions. He couldn’t go without adding something first, though, as Justin started to walk away.  “And Justin?”

 

 

 

His companion turned around after a few steps to face him.  “Yeah?”  

 

 

 

“Be careful.”

 

 

 

Justin gazed at him softly. “I can take care of myself.”

 

 

 

“I know you can; I just…” Brian shrugged, his voice trailing off.  He felt unable to say what he really wanted to.

 

 

 

“Brian…” Justin came closer as his eyes bored into Brian’s. The air shifted. Brian was staring back at him with such an intense gaze that Justin felt a shiver running through his body. He raised his arm tentatively. He hesitated briefly, Brian’s gaze never altering, before eventually placing his hand on the brunet’s cheek. A sigh escaped Brian’s lips in response to his touch.

 

 

 

Emboldened, Justin caressed Brian’s skin and hair with his fingers. He could have sworn a surge of electricity surged through his heart when Brian raised his hand, too, and placed his own on Justin’s, interlacing their fingers together.

 

 

 

Brian closed his eyes and leaned in, so that his forehead finally touched Justin’s. He sighed deeply. Letting his other hand slip through his companion’s blond hair, he whispered softly, “We should go,” his hot breath grazing Justin’s face. He wasn’t sure how he could resist kissing Justin, except that he couldn’t lose any more time to find his father. So, he eventually leaned back, but he didn’t let go completely; their fingers were still entwined by their side.

 

 

 

Justin nodded as Brian opened his eyes. Taking several breaths didn’t help; in the end, Brian couldn’t stop himself.

 

 

 

He leaned in again and placed a soft kiss on Justin’s lips.  A moan escaped, but Brian wasn’t sure who had uttered it. He didn’t care. Justin was just melting under his lips, kissing him back oh so slowly, and Brian felt high.

 

 

 

Finally, he felt Justin squeezing his hand before he finally stepped backward and broke the kiss. Brian was astonished to realize how much he had missed and yearned for Justin. Justin’s lips, Justin naked in front of him. His pale skin, his sexy smile, his lustful eyes, his delicious cock; the curve of his ass. All of him. He wanted him so badly at that instant that his heart was hammering furiously in his chest.

 

 

 

Justin smiled kindly at him, and Brian suddenly remembered why he was here. Searching for Jack.

 

 

 

“We will find him,” Justin promised again, sensing Brian’s anxiety returning. At last, he turned to head off down his leaf-covered path. Brian kept staring at him for a few more seconds before he, too, turned around to travel down the other trail heading in the exact opposite direction.

 

 

 


 

 

 

The Forest, 4:30 PM...

 

 

 

Forty-five minutes, and still no trace of Jack.

 

 

 

Justin had sent a text to Brian five minutes ago to inform him of his whereabouts, and he was beginning to feel the anxiety battling with his optimism. Brian’s father was nowhere to be found.

 

 

 

He was currently walking on a path leading him to a small lake and a seemingly abandoned cabin. The search was rendered even more complicated, because the trail apparently wasn’t used on a regular basis.  It was poorly maintained, and a lot of brambles and thorns were slowing down his progress substantially. Most of the time, he had to take big, careful steps to navigate the sinuous trail. Periodically, he would stop to observe the surrounding area and call out for Brian’s dad before proceeding any further. Thus, searching for Jack was taking a lot more time than he had anticipated before he had left Brian.

 

 

 

He finally arrived at a clear, secured area by the lake, and began walking near the water in the direction of the cabin. And suddenly, he froze. Someone was sitting in front of the weathered, wooden entrance on a tree-trunk.

 

 

 

Jack. Thank God. He was tapping with his feet on the floor, his head down, so that he hadn’t noticed Justin coming his way yet. Justin paused and gazed up at the sky, silently thanking whoever had led him to that place. He took out his cell and immediately sent a text to inform Brian. Once it was done, he put his phone back inside his pocket and took a deep breath before heading in Jack’s direction.

 

 

 

During all the time he had spent searching for him - and when he hadn’t been busy replaying Brian’s unexpected kiss in his head - Justin had wondered how Jack was going to react if he found him. Justin was a stranger, after all, so it was safe to say that the man might freak out. He briefly considered waiting for Brian, but it wasn’t an option. Brian was too far away, and he wouldn’t be here soon enough. The simplest solution was for Justin to convince Jack to follow him back to the entrance of the forest.

 

 

 

“Jack?” He called softly with a smile as he approached the man carefully, so as not to scare him. Jack peered up at him then, and Justin felt his heartbeat increase as a result. Here we go…

 

 

 

But Justin wasn't prepared for what happened next: Jack stood up as soon as he saw him and gave him a broad grin. He came closer. Before Justin had any time to react, he was engulfed in one of the tightest hugs he had ever received. It even challenged Debbie’s; something Justin wouldn’t have thought possible a moment ago.

 

 

 

“Nice to meet you, too,” Justin joked awkwardly, patting Jack on his back. “But I can’t breathe.”

 

 

 

“Sorry.” Jack released him and stepped back. “I thought my son was going to find me, but I should have known...” He declared cryptically, still sporting a huge smile on his face.

 

 

 

Justin felt Jack’s insistent stare on him. “You should have known…?”

 

 

 

“That an angel would find me!” Jack clarified, peering at Justin as if HE was the brain-damaged one.

 

 

 

Justin chuckled. “I’m sure your son would be delighted to hear that.”

 

 

 

“You know Brian?” Jack frowned.

 

 

 

Justin responded with a nod. “I do. He is… a friend. And he’s worried sick about you.”

 

 

 

“He is?” Jack replied hesitantly. Justin could see that instead of comforting him, the news made him nervous.

 

 

 

“Hey... it’s okay,” Justin attempted to reassure him. Jack didn’t seem to be listening to him anymore.

 

 

 

“He’s going to be mad. I hate it when he’s mad,” Brian’s father muttered, not really talking to Justin now. It was like he had completely forgotten the blond’s presence.

 

 

 

“Jack, it’s going to be okay,” Justin stated more firmly, placing his hand on Jack’s forearm. The man peered up at him, and Justin nodded when he thought that he had his attention.

 

 

 

But apparently, it wasn’t enough, “No! No, it’s not! He is going to be mad. Sonny Boy is going to be mad,” Jack insisted, talking to himself;  he broke from Justin’s grip and started pacing back and forth in front of him.

 

 

 

“Sonny Boy?” Justin questioned. He had only heard that expression when Brian talked to Gus, but it was too much of a coincidence to be insignificant.  Still, Justin didn’t have the time to dwell on it now, because Jack was beginning to walk away from him, “Hey... Jack! Wait!” He tried to stop him.

 

 

 

“Sonny Boy… Where is he? I need to see him!” Jack continued his monologue as he turned around to walk back to Justin, obviously hoping that he would help him find his son.

 

 

 

“Jack,” Justin placed his two hands on his forearms once again, trying to soothe him as much as he could. When Jack had calmed down enough, he grabbed his phone in his pocket and informed him, “Here; we’re going to call him, okay?”

 

 

 

“You have a phone? We can call him?” Jack’s face lit up.

 

 

 

“We can; and we will.” Justin pressed on the keys and placed the cell to his ear.

 

 

 

After a couple of seconds, Brian picked up and greeted Justin with a sarcastic “Please tell me you didn’t kill him yet because I want that pleasure myself.” From the tone of his voice and the muffled sounds he could hear, Justin deduced that he was walking fast, or maybe jogging, probably to join them as fast as possible.

 

 

 

“Brian,” Justin uttered in a serious tone; hoping he would understand immediately that something was going on.

 

 

 

Brian must have stopped walking, his voice seemingly more even now as he urged him, “Put him on the phone.”

 

 

 

Justin gave his cell to Jack. “It’s Brian.”

 

 

 

“Sonny Boy?” Jack greeted his son.

 

 

 

Justin frowned. Jack seemed to be waiting for an answer and he briefly wondered what was happening here. There was something he was missing.

 

 

 

At the other end of the line, Brian stilled. His father hadn’t called him that old nickname since before the accident seventeen years ago. Shit.

 

 

 

“Sonny Boy?” Jack repeated; the only difference being that he seemed worried now.

 

 

 

Brian took a deep breath. He envisioned a sudden image of his last confrontation with his father in the kitchen of their old house, right before Jack had gotten into the car with Claire and Joan.

 

 

 

“You don’t even try to listen… So what’s the point?”

 

 

 

“The point, Sonny Boy, is that you should shut the fuck up! I’m your father! You will do as I say! Don’t you have any respect?”

 

 

 

“Respect? Respect?!! Do you even hear what you’re saying? No way! I’m not going with you. You’re blind drunk, for Christ’s sake!”

 

 

 

“I’m perfectly able to drive, thank you very much. Now, get your damn ass in that car!”

 

 

 

“No…”

 

 

 

“What did you just say?”

 

 

 

“I said no! Maybe Mom and Claire can listen to your bullshit, but I won’t. And I won’t get into that car.”

 

 

 

“Come back here! Brian!”

 

 

 

His old man had used his nickname for the last time then, and until now, Jack had never said it aloud again. But hearing his father calling him that was threatening to pull a lot of memories to the surface. Especially the bad ones.

 

 

 

Don’t go there. Not now.

 

 

 

Brian tried to focus on the reason why his father would greet him with his former nickname now. Was it why he had run away today? Or had he suddenly remembered using this name for his son when he was younger? And why today, even though Brian used it all the time in front of Jack to refer to Gus when the three of them were together? Brian didn’t know, but he surely wasn’t going to question him on the phone. They needed to talk about it face to face, and preferably after his father was safe, back at the Institute.

 

 

 

“Jack.” Brian didn’t let his emotions reflect in his voice, choosing to clear his throat instead. “Listen to me,” he demanded. “You’re going to stay with Justin. You will obey everything he asks you to do, and you will follow him, no matter what happens. Do you understand what I’m saying?” He asked slowly.

 

 

 

“You’re mad,” Jack stated sadly, avoiding responding to his son’s request. He briefly wondered if ‘Justin’ was the same one Brian had already mentioned to him before; the person who had ‘saved’ him.

 

 

 

Jack had always been fascinated with people who protected other people. Angels. Heroes. They were so wonderful. Jack had decided that Brian was his savior, because ever since he had been a part of his life, everything looked brighter, safer and marvelous. However, when he had asked Brian who his savior was, his son had not responded, claiming that it was nuts to think that everyone had a hero in his life. Yet, Jack had insisted on an answer so persistently that Brian had finally shared a name with him... Justin.

 

 

 

But, no, Jack decided with a sigh; it couldn’t be the same Justin anyway. Brian had specified that he had lost him a long time ago.

 

 

 

“Jack…” Brian insisted, sensing that his father was not listening carefully.

 

 

 

“I’ll do it. I’ll do everything he says,” Jack promised, sounding more defeated than anything else. “Justin is an angel after all. He has magical powers, so he can make me do what he wants me to do, anyway,” Jack added more cheerfully as an afterthought.

 

 

 

Brian chuckled briefly, “An angel, huh?” If only his father knew how ‘angelic’ Justin had looked and sounded when he had begged Brian to fuck him harder and deeper back then: his head thrown back, his throat sublimely exposed for Brian’s tongue to explore, his mouth slightly opened, his loud, lustful gasps filling the air. The sight had been such a turn on, Justin’s body so warm and responsive beneath his fingers...On second thought, Jack might just be right. Brian knew firsthand how magical Justin could be, and how powerless he had been to stop himself from complying with his every demand.

 

 

 

And why the fuck do I think about sex with Justin now? Jesus, Kinney... focus already.

 

 

 

Shaking his head, he eventually ordered,Put Justin back on the phone. And Jack?”

 

 

 

“Yes?” Jack answered shyly.

 

 

 

Brian pinched his lips. His father needed his support now, especially if Brian wanted him to trust Justin and behave himself. So, he decided that a few reassuring words might be in order. “I’m glad you’re okay,” Brian stated sincerely.

 

 

 

“You are?” Jack inquired innocently in an awe-filled voice.

 

 

 

“Of course I am. I care about you, you know that,” Brian volunteered. And it was true, he did care. “Now, just stay with Justin and make me proud, okay?” He demanded softly.

 

 

 

“I will! You will be the proudest son ever!” Jack declared excitedly. He was never more happy than when Brian verbally expressed his feelings for him.

 

 

 

“Good. Now, give the phone to Justin, okay, ‘Champ’?” Brian couldn’t help but smile at his father’s antics.

 

 

 

“Brian?” Justin eventually picked up the phone. “Everything’s okay?” He asked, even if his last word was laced with laughter; Jack was now performing a curious dance around him.

 

 

 

“Everything’s fine,” Brian replied truthfully. He might have a hard time soon dealing with his father’s new memories that seem to be emerging, but for now, they were both okay. “My father is convinced you’re an angel,” he stated in amusement. “He sure doesn’t know you yet,” he added, without realizing that he was implying that this might not be the only time that Justin would be accompanying him to see his father.

 

 

 

Justin noticed, though. He smiled as he replied, murmuring, “I’ve always told you I’m the sweetest guy you had ever met.”

 

 

 

Brian snorted. “And the most humble, too,” He quipped. “Right now, I’m not too far from your location; maybe twenty, twenty-five minutes or so. If you start to head back toward the entrance, we should meet up in about ten or fifteen minutes.”

 

 

 

“Okay. We’re on our way. The night is starting to fall, anyway, so we have to hurry.” Justin reminded him.

 

 

 

“Be careful. Both of you,” Brian whispered.

 

 

 

“We will. See you soon,” Justin concluded with a grin, before hanging up. Then, turning to look at Jack, he declared, “So, you really think I’m an angel, huh?”

 

 

 

“Of course you are. Only angels have golden hair like yours,” Jack explained as if it was the most evident thing in the world.

 

 

 

“I’m not an angel, Jack.” Justin chose to stop Jack’s fantasy right now, not sure if it was a good thing or not to indulge in Jack’s reality. “But I can be your friend, if you allow me to be.”

 

 

 

“You want to be my friend?” Jack asked, obviously delighted with Justin’s request.

 

 

 

“Of course I want to be your friend.” Justin nodded; he placed his hand on Jack’s shoulder as they began to walk towards their destination, but Jack was so happy that he began to ‘dance’ again. Justin let him, and smiled.

 

 

 

They walked for a few minutes in silence, or more precisely, with Jack now singing like a chickadee they’d just heard. It was amazing to hear it, Justin decided, because Jack really sounded like a bird, as if he had performed his skill over many years.

 

 

 

Eventually Jack started chattering again. “You’re Brian’s friend?” He inquired, even if both Brian and Justin had already confirmed it.

 

 

 

“I am,” Justin replied with a nod. He suspected Jack wanted to ask him something else, but he was obviously hesitating.

 

 

 

“Justin…” Jack confirmed Justin’s suspicion as he called out to him tentatively. They had just arrived in front of a nasty part of the path, where they would have to be extra careful in order not to fall, or become entangled in thorns.

 

 

 

“Hmm?” Justin answered absently. He was focused on his feet and was studying the ground to figure out where to walk. “Careful; follow my steps, okay?” He advised.

 

 

 

“I am,” Jack wasn’t about to disobey Justin. Even if he claimed not to be an angel, Jack knew better. “Justin, are you Brian’s savior?”

 

 

 

Justin froze with a frown, and turned around to look at Jack. “What?” He asked brusquely, causing the older man to lean back slightly as if he was afraid that the blond didn’t like his question. When he realized it, Justin softened the tone of his voice. “I mean, why do you think that?” He inquired as normally as he could.

 

 

 

Jack exhaled. He had been worried that Justin could be peeved at him, but he didn’t seem to be. In fact, Justin seemed to be very kind. Jack loved his new friend a lot. “We all have our saviors. Brian is my savior. And he said to me once that someone called Justin was his. Is that you?” Jack asked, completely unaware that he was indeed revealing something really private regarding his son.

 

 

 

Justin stood there, dumbfounded. “He said that to you?” He replied, not knowing how to respond any other way.

 

 

 

“He did; after I asked him twenty-nine times in a row on every single one of his visits who his savior was,” Jack stated proudly. “But he also told me that he lost Justin a long time ago. So, it’s not you, is it?”

 

 

 

Justin felt a lump suddenly forming in his throat. This man standing in front of him had no idea how much his revelation meant to him. Justin suddenly felt a surge of love for this brain-damaged, yet innocent and endearing man. Brian’s father was truly a beautiful soul. Justin understood more than ever why Brian felt so protective of his father now, even though physically at least this man was the same one who had almost destroyed his life a long time ago.

 

 

 

Realizing that Jack was looking at him curiously, Justin cleared his throat and smiled softly. “We should keep going,” he suggested, not answering Jack’s inquiry.

 

 

 

As he turned around to resume his progression, he suddenly heard Brian’s voice calling for them. Justin’s heartbeat increased as they hurried down the path, his thoughts still trying to process what he had just learned.