Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

** Thank you Kim, for supporting me all along **

The Present: November 2014

Four Days Later, Thursday Evening, Michael and Ben’s Place…

 

 

Justin took a deep breath and exhaled into the chilly, cloudy night. Rubbing his hands to stop the cold from invading him completely, he jumped the two stairs separating him from the front door of the house he was about to enter and paused.

 

 

He had called Michael on Tuesday. His friend had invited him to come over to his house tonight in order to meet his partner, but more importantly, to reconnect with his mother. Justin was nervous and excited: another step to reunite with his past was about to be made, but truthfully, he was afraid of the outcome. Michael had assured him that everything was going to be all right, but Justin wasn’t convinced that Debbie would forgive him. He wasn’t sure he would if he were in her place.

 

 

Debbie and Vic had been an important part of his life back when he had been involved with Brian. Vic had passed away four years ago, and Justin had always felt guilty that he hadn’t been there for Debbie. Weren’t you supposed to be there for the important persons in your life, no matter how long it had been since you’d seen them? To show them your support, if nothing else? But he hadn’t, because he hadn’t known at the time. When Emmett had finally been able to reach him, it had been too late. And Justin had felt crushed, because Debbie and Vic had given him so much in the past, but he wasn’t there when Debbie needed him the most.  Ultimately, at the time the best he could do after the fact was to send flowers with his condolences.  He really didn’t know if she would ever forgive him for cutting all ties for so long. He could only hope.

 

 

You can do this, he reminded himself, just before knocking on the door. He stepped back slightly, hearing some sounds coming from inside the house. Michael opened the door and greeted him with a big smile on his face.

 

 

“Justin! Good to see you. Don’t stand out there in the cold. Come in!” Smiling, Michael stepped back to allow him to enter. His eyes were immediately drawn to the friendly atmosphere emanating from the spacious living room. He took off his gloves and his scarf before shrugging out of his jacket. “Here, let me put those in the closet for you,” Michael offered, hanging his coat up in the hall closet and placing the gloves and scarf on a shelf above.

 

 

“Thanks,” Justin answered, before peering into the living room in front of him. Just then, he saw a handsome man coming their way with a big smile on his face.

 

 

Ben Bruckner. Emmett was right. He really was to die for.

 

 

“Justin, I’d like you to meet Ben. Ben, this is Justin,” Michael introduced his husband, who reached to shake Justin’s hand.

 

 

“Nice to finally meet you. Michael has told me a lot about you,” he greeted him in a friendly manner. Justin shook his hand as Ben stepped back, placing his hand on Michael’s shoulder.

 

 

“Nice to meet you, too,” Justin responded politely. He quietly observed the two men, immediately noticing how close they seemed to be; it was obvious how deeply they cared for each other. Justin smiled wider.

 

 

“Come and sit down,” Michael urged him, leading him towards the couch.

 

 

“You guys want some beers? Justin?” Ben asked.

 

 

“Yes, a beer would be great…” Justin followed Michael and sat down, while Ben went to the kitchen. “Your mother hasn’t arrived yet?” He questioned, even though with Debbie it would be fairly obvious if she had.

 

 

“She had a shift at the diner, and then she was going to the police station after that to get Carl, but she should be here pretty soon. Why?  Nervous?” Michael teased him.

 

 

“A little. Did you…did you tell her I would be there?” Justin inquired bashfully.

 

 

“I told her we had a special guest. I’m pretty sure she’s probably figured it out,” Michael stated.

 

 

“So, Justin…Michael told me you’re a graphic designer?” Ben asked as he brought a couple of beers over and placed them down on the coffee table.

 

 

“Yes. I started working for an animation firm two months ago,” Justin confirmed.

 

 

“And you’re an artist, too?”

 

 

“I paint in my free time, yes.” Justin was about to elaborate further when they heard a knock on the door, causing his heart to thump anxiously in his chest.

 

 

“It must be Ma and Carl,” Michael announced as he rose to his feet. Justin did the same, but remained where he was in the living room as he peered over nervously at the door.

 

 

The moment Justin heard voices, he knew one of them was Debbie’s; her voice was unmistakable. He felt a rush of adrenaline furtively coursing through his body as he observed her and a man he had never met before enter Ben and Michael’s home. Debbie was closing her umbrella – having used it to ward off the sleet that had been falling sporadically throughout the day – and she seemed visibly upset about something.

 

“You wouldn’t believe how rude some people can be! Carl had to stop these two stupid butchers from beating up on some poor kid!” She turned to look at her companion to vow, “I’m warning you, Honey, I’m not going to let this rest!  You’d better do something about those two, or I will organize a sit-in right in the middle of the police station!  You know I will, too!” She ranted loudly. Carl peered over at Michael, silently beseeching him to help him.

 

 

“Ma…Let it go. Carl is not responsible for people being assholes,” Michael reprimanded her gently, eventually turning to head back in the direction of the living room. Debbie sighed as Carl helped her to take off her coat before she eventually looked over at the living room for the first time since she arrived.

 

 

Justin saw the exact moment when Debbie’s eyes landed on him. He couldn’t help smiling in relief as he noticed the expression on her face; Debbie never had been good at hiding her feelings, and if the look in her eyes was any indication, Justin needn’t have been worried.

 

 

She stood there for several seconds before the squeal began. “Sunshine!” Before Justin had any time to prevent it, his arms were full of an emotional Debbie, who, true to herself, gave him the tightest hug Justin had ever received.

 

 

“Debbie…” He was overwhelmed as well to see her; but after a moment, he truly had trouble breathing. “Could you release me just a little?” He whispered in her ear teasingly.

 

 

“You little shit…” She answered back fondly, before leaning back.

 

 

“It’s good to see you, too,” Justin responded, smiling.

 

 

“I can’t believe it. What the fuck took you so long to come back, huh?” She said while taking both his cheeks in her hands.

 

 

Justin just stared at her, not knowing what to respond, except to whisper, “I’m sorry.”

 

 

“Not enough, young man…” She chastised him dryly, but her eyes were smiling through her tears.

 

 

Michael had been right. It was going to be okay, after all.

 

 


 

 

Carl and Justin were sitting on the couch while Michael, Ben and Debbie kept themselves occupied with some last minute dinner preparations. Laughter and an easy going vibe filled the air while soft music played in the background.

 

“So, how long have you and Debbie known each other?” Justin asked the older man curiously.  It was obvious the two were close as evidenced by their easygoing rapport. 

 

 

“I met Debbie a couple of years ago during one of my investigations into the murder of a young hustler who was found in a dumpster at the back of the diner,” Carl responded.  

 

 

“No shit!” Justin exclaimed in shock, open-mouthed.  “Was she was the one who found him?” 

 

 

Carl nodded.  “Yeah…and she was determined to find out his name and who killed him. She barged into the police station while trying to teach me how to do my job,” he added with a small smile gracing his lips.

 

 

“That’s Debbie, all right,” Justin chucked before asking, “Did you find the murderer?”

 

 

“Not officially… the suspect killed himself,” Carl revealed.

 

 

“You did have a suspect, then?” Justin inquired.

 

 

“Yeah. Thanks to Kinney and Debbie, mainly. But we never could prove his guilt,” Carl stated soberly.

 

 

“Brian helped, too?” Justin asked, surprised that Brian would be involved.

 

 

“Yes. Hunter, you know him, right? Michael and Ben’s son?”

 

 

“I’ve heard about him, but I’ve never met him. Emmett told me he was a street kid when he met Ben and Michael, but that he is in college now.”

 

 

“He is. He helped Kinney back then on the case. He’s a good kid. And he was damned lucky to have met those two, also,” Carl stated, nodding towards the kitchen where Ben and Michael were laughing quietly.

 

 

Justin gazed at them, silently wishing that he could someday find the same type of relationship that they had, before he peered back at Carl.

 

 

“Debbie is delighted that you’re back,” Carl confided. “I’ve heard a lot about you these last couple of months.”

 

 

Justin’s chest tightened slightly. “I’m glad to be back. I never thought she would forgive me for not being in touch for so long.”

 

 

Carl eyed him softly. “I hate to say this...but I’m pretty sure she hasn’t,” Justin frowned. “Don’t get me wrong. She’s ecstatic that one of her lost boys is back, since she has always cared about you a great deal. But it’s been hard for her. Since her brother passed away, you boys are all she has left. Even if she doesn’t show it, she was deeply hurt that you didn’t keep in touch after you and Brian severed your relationship.”

 

 

Justin sighed. Of course he knew these past eight years couldn’t just magically disappear, and realistically he hadn’t expected Debbie to welcome him back with open arms. “I can’t change the past. But I won’t do that to her again,” he promised him.

 

 

Carl seemed to study him for a few seconds. “You’d better not,” he stated. “But just so you know, I’m sure she’ll forgive you. Just give her time, and…well, stopping by to see her from time to time might help, too.” He patted Justin on the shoulder before getting up to join the others who had just announced that dinner was ready to be served.

 

 

Justin nodded absently, peering at Debbie’s silhouette in the kitchen, before murmuring, “I will.”

 

 

 


 

 

They ate while talking about their lives. Michael and Ben regaled Justin with stories about Hunter and JR – Mel and Michael’s two-year-old daughter – while Debbie gossiped about patrons at the diner and shared fond memories of her time with Vic. Justin listened intently, regretting what he had missed during his absence, but relishing in the fact that he was here tonight, sharing this special evening with all of them. He didn’t say much at first, preferring to catch up with their lives, instead. Of course, Debbie eventually began to interrogate him about his own life.

 

 

“As Mom told you, I lived in Chicago for five years. I was working there as an assistant graphic designer until eventually I transferred to New York before leaving for Europe two years ago,” Justin informed them.

 

 

“What about Jennifer? The last time I heard from her, she was thinking about moving back here, right?” Debbie inquired. She had kept in touch with Justin’s mother throughout the past several years, even when Justin had left Pittsburgh.

 

 

“Yes. She’s still in Philadelphia for now, but she talks about moving back.” Jennifer had moved ten years ago when she had been offered a job as a realtor. But now that Justin was back and set on staying in his hometown, she was considering moving back to be closer to her son.  Molly was currently living in New York, and even though she and Justin had never been that close, they talked on the phone regularly.

 

 

“And what about this boyfriend of yours?” Debbie eventually asked the one question Justin had been dreading. Surprisingly enough, no one had mentioned Brian, either, during the evening, and he was grateful for his friends’ thoughtfulness, but now he was afraid of what their reactions would be.

 

 

“We broke up,” Justin announced firmly, peering at the expressions on each of their faces. Michael didn’t seem that surprised, but Debbie obviously hadn’t been aware of anything going on between him and Brian.

 

 

Michael raised his eyebrows, however. “We?” He asked quietly.

 

 

Justin sighed in resignation, deciding he might as well cut to the chase.  “Okay…I broke it off,” he verified.

 

 

“Why? I thought you had found the perfect man? Isn’t that what you said, Michael?” Debbie frowned as she peered over at her son.

 

 

Michael had the good grace to look ashamed, leading Justin to understand that whatever conversation Debbie was referring to, it had to have happened before he and Michael had reconnected. “Emmett tends to over exaggerate; you know that,” The brunet answered his mother, appearing sheepish.

 

 

Justin raised his eyebrows back at him playfully, while Michael pinched his lips, a ‘deer caught in the headlights’ sort of expression on his face.

 

 

Debbie looked back and forth between her son and her surrogate son and shook her head. Truthfully, she had been surprised that Michael had invited Justin tonight, because she hadn’t been aware that they had reconnected again, or that Justin was back in Pittsburgh for good. Michael had held such a grudge against Justin since he had left, but apparently her assumption that the two men had settled their differences was now confirmed. Whatever Justin had shared with Michael, his son had forgiven him, so much so that he was now defending him and his choice to break up with his partner.

 

 

Her son had matured a lot. Having a husband and two kids certainly had helped to put things in a new perspective, but even so, she was astounded to see that these two men seemed to be on their way to restoring the friendship they had lost. Was Brian aware of that? Well, of course he must be. Debbie couldn’t imagine for one second that Michael would not inform him that he was socializing with Justin again.

 

 

Debbie still had a hard time forgiving him, but she was happy having to confront her feelings regarding his abrupt return, instead of hurting over his absence. She had missed the young man so much.

 

 

And so, Justin was back in Pittsburgh. And single. Well, the gossip at the diner was about to increase tenfold.

 

 

Now, that was a reason to celebrate.

 

 


 

 

Two hours later, Justin left after having promised Michael that he would stop by his comic book store on Saturday afternoon. His friend wanted to talk to him about something, but he didn’t specify what it was about. Justin was just happy that they all seemed to accept him back into their lives, and walked away from the house with a smile on his face.

 

 


 

 

Friday night, Emmett’s Apartment…

 

 

When Justin had called Emmett earlier in the afternoon, mentioning that he and Daphne were planning on hanging out together for the evening, Emmett had proposed that they come over to his place. It’d been way too long since he’d seen his friend, and he was curious about what had happened in Justin’s life since his return. Michael had told him that he’d seen him, and Emmett had been delighted when he had understood that they had worked things out between them.

 

 

“So, how is your boyfriend?” Justin asked him. They were all sitting in the living room, drinking some cocktails Emmett had prepared earlier and eating delicious mini sandwiches he had concocted.

 

 

“You have a boyfriend? Who is he? I want to know everything. Don’t leave any details out!” Daphne chirps, grinning widely as she takes a bite of her sandwich. “God, this is exquisite!”

 

 

“Don’t mind her. She has a fascination with anything that’s gay, especially gays having sex. Not that I blame her. She doesn’t know what she’s missing.” Justin quipped, and Daphne played along, feigning a look of outrage at her friend.

 

 

For a second, that is. Then, she just grinned some more. “What can I say? Justin’s right. I have a shrine and burn a candle every night, praying that one day I will wake up in a gay man’s body…Imagine that, Justin! I could finally have sex in the backroom next to you!”

 

 

“Daphne!” Now, it was Justin’s turn to look outraged.

 

 

“What? You asked for it! But that’s not the point. We were talking about your boyfriend, Emmett,” she reminded the other man innocently.

 

 

Emmett was enjoying himself immensely, so he responded with a confident tone, “Drew is a former football player. He is a real man, all man, if you know what I mean,” he revealed with a wink at Daphne.

 

 

“How long have you two been together?” Daphne inquired.

 

 

“I first met him a couple of years ago. We had…some issues to work through; so, let’s just say that we have officially been together for three months now.”

 

 

“And…?” Daphne really loved the gossip too much. Emmett just stared at her, so she added, “How is he?” Justin elbowed her in the ribs playfully. “Hey!”

 

 

“You forget to add ‘in bed’,” he added teasingly, making her grin some more.

 

 

“You two are too much, you know that?” Emmett smiled at their antics. “But I’m not the only one who has a sex life here now, am I?”

 

 

“Are you kidding?  She’s a nun,” Justin stated, feigning to be serious as he pointed at his best friend.

 

 

“Not anymore…” Daphne responded smugly.

 

 

“What? You’ve been with someone, and you didn’t tell me? Who are you? And what you have done with my best friend?” Justin whined.

 

 

“What? It only happened a couple of days ago, and I was planning on telling you all about it tonight! Did you expect me to call you while it was happening?”

 

 

“That might have been an idea…” Justin frowned playfully. “But not a good one, considering. You might worship gay sex, but hetero sex is just…Eww…” Justin put a disgusting look on his face as he shuddered, earning a punch in the arm by his friend.

 

 

“Okay! We just verified that I and the charming lady sitting in front of me are having fabulous sex these days, but what about you, Justin?” Emmett asked, grinning.

 

 

Justin’s smile faltered a little. “I…well...It’s been a while,” he lied. He could still vividly remember his last encounter with Brian. It had been fabulous, all right. But so wrong, also, for too many reasons.

 

 

“Didn’t you and Tyler agree it was okay to have sex with other men?” Daphne asked.

 

 

“I…” Justin cleared his throat. “Tyler and I, we’re over,” he announced.

 

 

“WHAT?” His two friends answered at the same time, and Justin couldn’t help but smile a little. If he had felt nothing at all about his break-up with his former partner, the scene would have been downright comical.

 

 

Except it really wasn’t. While Justin was certain that he had made the right decision when he had decided to end his relationship with Tyler, he still felt guilty and, yes, heartbroken, over the outcome. He loved Tyler, he truly did. Maybe not the way he should have loved him if they had forged a life together, but it hadn’t made things easier nonetheless. Losing Tyler had been so fucking hard. Tyler had been a part of his life for more than two years, and he had shared so much with him. Every time Justin thought about how much he had hurt him when he had revealed he was in love with someone else, he felt his heart clench in his chest. He might appear to be unaffected on the outside, mainly because he had no other way to deal with it, but he was anything but. Ultimately, however, he knew he just had to suck it up, because he knew he had made the right decision. But fuck if it hadn’t been one of the hardest of his life.

 

 

“You heard me,” Justin replied brusquely; he wasn’t in the mood to joke anymore. But he knew that if he could talk freely about his feelings with anyone, however, it would be with Emmett and Daphne. Maybe they could help him somehow to sort things out, because now that he had broken up with his boyfriend, he really didn’t know where to go from here.

 

 

“Who was the one who…?” Daphne began to ask, not really knowing how to formulate her question, but she soon discovered that she didn’t have to.

 

 

“I did,” Justin revealed.

 

 

“What? Why?” She asked, confused. “I thought you were good together.”

 

 

“We were…” Justin responded, sighing. Peering up at his former roommate, he noticed the expression on the man’s face, and realized that Emmett had already guessed the reason why he was in this situation. Justin nodded absently.

 

 

“Brian…” Emmett muttered. Daphne frowned, before her eyes went wide.

 

 

“Brian,” Justin confirmed. “I…this is hard to explain. I’m not even sure I understand it myself.”

 

 

“Wait a minute…You broke up with Tyler because of Brian? Seriously?” Up until now, Daphne hadn’t been aware that Justin had seen Brian since that day at the movies. “You’ve seen him again?” She questioned suspiciously.

 

 

“A couple of times, yes.” Justin confirmed.

 

 

“You called him,” Emmett guessed.

 

 

Justin nodded. “Yeah. We’ve seen each other twice. Once at Woody’s…but that didn’t go very well. And, then I went to see him last week, and…”

 

 

“And?”  Emmett pressed. 

 

 

Justin didn’t answer. He merely shrugged instead.

 

 

“Okay; this is…wow,” Daphne stated not-so-eloquently.

 

 

“Listen, I don’t expect for people to understand. I just…” Justin tried to formulate his thoughts, but found that he was failing.

 

 

“You know, I always secretly thought of the two of you as having one of those great dramatic romances like Rhett and Scarlett…” Emmett began dreamily, but Justin interrupted him.

 

 

Gone with the Wind? Seriously?” Justin huffed incredulously, before turning serious again. “I know it’s crazy. I’m probably losing my mind, and I will probably regret it, but I realized that I had unresolved feelings that I needed to sort out. And I…” He took a breath before admitting the truth, “I also realized that I love Tyler, but not like I should love him. It wouldn’t have been fair to him if I’d let him move back here with me, especially knowing that he didn’t want to leave Italy in the first place…”

 

 

“Hmm…I can see your point. But are you sure you’re not making a mistake? I thought Brian was too high maintenance for you to be with him,” Daphne reminded him. She really didn’t know what to think of Justin’s revelation. She had really liked Brian back then, when he wasn’t hurting her best friend, that is, but she wasn’t so sure a relationship between them could work today if Brian was still the same man he had been before. Justin might have been crazy about him when he was younger, but she couldn’t see him acting like some lovesick boyfriend anymore, not with anyone. So, surely there was something that she was missing.

 

 

As if reading her mind, Justin felt the need to defend him. “He’s changed.”

 

 

“He has,” Emmett confirmed. Peering over at Daphne, he added, winking, “Don’t worry, though, he’s still an asshole. He hasn’t changed that much.”

 

 

“What are you going to do?” Daphne eventually asked.

 

 

“Truthfully? I don’t know…I miss Tyler, I feel awful about what I did, and I’m not even sure Brian wants anything to do with me,” Justin responded just as his phone started to ring. Peering over at the name on the screen, his eyes widened as he announced, “Sorry, guys, I have to take this.” He stood up, walked a few steps, and entered his former room before answering his cell. “Jesse?”

 

 

“Justin? Hey…” his friend greeted him, and Justin couldn’t help his lips from turning upward as he heard his friend’s voice for the first time in six months.

 

 


 

 

After Jesse had left Pittsburgh back in the spring of 2006, they had lost touch for many years. Jesse had pretty much ceased all contact with the gang in Pittsburgh, Michael being the only one he had kept in touch with at first. Even so, Emmett had informed Justin that as time had passed, the contacts had been less and less between them, until ultimately they had stopped altogether.

 

 

It had been out of pure luck that Justin and Jesse had reconnected three years ago. Justin had been in New York at the time, and they had run into each other at a photography exhibition on a cold November evening.

 

 

It had been awkward at first, but they had eventually decided to share a drink after the show, and they had wound up spending the entire night talking about everything and nothing: their aspirations, their dreams, what their life had become, their hopes for the future… That night, they had promised each other they would keep in touch, and had mainly succeeded, even though they had called each other only three or four times a year during the last three years.

 

 

However, Justin sensed right away that this phone call was different somehow. Dismissing his misgivings for the time being, he inquired cheerfully, “How are you?”

 

 

“Okay, I guess. You?” Jesse replied quietly. He sounded distant, almost cold, and Justin realized that he must have called Tyler’s place before reaching him on his cell.

 

 

“I’m fine,” Justin frowned as he heard Jesse clearing his throat.

 

 

“I tried to call you at your place, but Tyler told me you left,” Jesse revealed. Bingo.

 

 

“Yes,” he admitted, waiting to see if Jesse was going to add anything. When it was obvious he wasn’t going to, he confirmed quietly, “I moved back to Pittsburgh.”

 

 

“So I’ve heard. Tyler didn’t seem too pleased about that…” Jesse commented dryly.

 

 

Justin could feel himself getting defensive. “Listen…”

 

 

“Why did you come back?” Jesse interrupted him from going further.

 

 

Justin took a deep breath before answering; he wasn’t going to play that game. “If you know I’ve moved back, then you must know the reason why Tyler didn’t join me.”

 

 

“I do,” Jesse retorted, obviously not pleased with Justin’s decision. Fuck.

 

 

In the past three years, Justin and Jesse had never talked about the past; Justin, because he didn’t want to, and had lost touch with everyone except for Emmett and Daphne, and Jesse, for the exact same reason, except he didn’t have any contact with anyone anymore.

 

 

Also, they both had left Pittsburgh, but more specifically, they both had left Brian. It was an unsaid common thing between them, something they’d never discussed since they’d reconnected. Except now Justin had decided to come back, to reinsert himself into his past, and to possibly carve out a future with Brian, and Jesse didn’t seem pleased with his decision. But fuck, it was his life, and Jesse had no say in this.

 

 

“Okay, so what do you want to hear, Jesse? That I came back because of Brian? I didn’t, but it’s irrelevant, isn’t it?” Justin snapped. Fuck. He really didn’t want to yell at Jesse, but he shouldn’t have to justify himself, either. If Jesse had something to tell, he should just be upfront about it and stop his innuendos.

 

 

Maybe he had been right to yell, because Jesse had the good grace to sound ashamed as he responded, “You’re right. I’m sorry. I can be such an asshole sometimes.”

 

 

“Fuck, Jesse; I’m sorry, too,” Justin stated, rubbing his hand on his forehead in frustration.

 

 

“Don’t be. You have every right to live your life as you want to,” Jesse replied. Justin sensed his friend’s hesitation; surely he wasn’t going to…

 

 

“How is he?” Jesse finally asked.

 

 

Wow. Jesse never asked about Brian. Of course, Justin had informed him before that he had cut all ties with Pittsburgh, so he really had had no reason to; at least not until today. Yet, Justin wasn’t one hundred-percent sure Jesse was talking about his former best friend. As far as he knew, Jesse probably hadn’t talked about Brian to anyone in nearly eight years. “You mean…Brian?”

 

 

He heard Jesse’s breathing for a long moment before he responded, “Yeah…”

 

 

“He’s okay, I guess. I’ve only seen him a couple of times since I’ve returned.” Justin let the words sink in before he continued, afraid that Jesse might have hung up when he didn’t answer. “Jesse…”

 

 

“I have to go,” was the sudden response.

 

 

“Jesse, wait!” Justin felt compelled to stop him.  “I…this…” But he didn’t know what to say.

 

 

“It was good talking to you, Justin,” Jesse said, and before Justin could add anything, he hung up.

 

 

“Jesse… Jesse?” Justin cried out in disbelief before peering down at his cell as he realized their conversation was over. “Fuck!” He shouted angrily, passing his hand through his hair in frustration. What was that all about? And why had Jesse called him now?

 

 

Peeved at himself for not being more convincing on the phone, Justin made his way back to the living room, only to discover his two friends staring at him strangely. That’s when he realized that they must have overheard him as he’d yelled into the phone, and if they had, they might have heard who he was on the phone with, too.

 

 

Shit.

 

 

“I think you have some explaining to do,” Emmett announced sternly as he patted the couch next to him. “Why don’t you come over here and sit down?”

 

 

He was fucked.