Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Just a few more chapters until the end.  Enjoy

Michael drove to his comic book shop and opened the door, turning the light on and surveying his surroundings.  His eyes lit up as he saw the "Rage" display with its many empty slots, showing that the comic was a bestseller.  He eyed the two glass display cases with their collectibles and visually moved around the items to make room for his latest acquisitions from the weekend. He inhaled deeply and was comforted by the smell of old pulp and ink. 

 

He belonged here, like no other place in the world and he didn't understand Ben's attitude this evening.  Sure, his comic shop was important to him, shouldn't it be that way if that's the way he made his living.  He knew that every time there was something going on at the college, Ben was talking about the event as if it was the most important thing in the world.  Of course, Michael would never admit that he really didn't understand or care for most of the things that Ben talked about that went on at the college.  He pretended to listen and would  nod his head.  He'd learned that skill from an early age.  Nod your head and make eye contact with the speaker and they will think you are paying attention even if your thoughts are a million miles away.

 

Picking up his small satchel, he made his way to the back room where the small futon was set up.  He'd gotten the idea from Justin.  Justin had a futon in his studio and when he was working really late at night or got inspiration in the middle of the night and then needed to crash, he slept in the studio.  Michael had decided he was just as creative as Justin and decided putting a futon at his work would bring them on par with each other.  Of course, it never occurred to him that he did not wake up at all hours of the night with new and creative ideas, nor did he work long hours after the shop was closed writing storyline for "Rage".  All he saw was that he was like Justin and felt he needed a futon in his workspace.  Tonight, he was glad that he had a place to sleep as no one appeared to care that Ben had kicked him out of his house. 

 

He couldn't understand why none of his friends were willing to let him stay with them.  He knew that he would open his home to them, in fact, had done so many times.  He couldn't count the number of times Brian had passed out on his couch.  He started to think about the last time this happened, hoping to bring up the incident tomorrow when he attempted to talk to Brian again. However, he realized that it actually had been many years, back before he and Justin were permanently together, that he had to put Brian to bed on his couch. 

 

Sitting on the futon, he looked around the small room, its lone table with a lamp and a clock radio perched on its well-worn surface.  Deb had given him the table, getting rid of some furniture, when she and Carl had decided to remodel a few years ago.  He had told her he needed it for his room in the back, again making out like he really had a need for such a space in his shop. It had seen better days, but it served his needs.

 

Michael dug out his phone from his front pocket and clicked the button to turn it on.  He scrolled through his feed and was surprised that no one had texted him or called him to see if he was okay.  Normally, by this time at night, he would have received 3-4 texts from the "family" inquiring about his day and his plans for the evening.  He would have also received several texts from folks in the neighborhood discussing their latest get together or planning a new evening out.  It appeared that no one cared that Michael was not with Ben anymore.  He was tired from all the activities of the weekend and decided not to think about his situation for now.  He went to the bathroom, brushed his teeth, and got in bed.  While the sheets had been on the futon for a while, Michael didn't really see any reason to be concerned that they were not the cleanest of linens.  Closing his eyes, he went to sleep fairly quickly.

 

******

 

After Michael left, Ben called Brian.

"Hello," Brian said when he saw the caller ID. 

 

"I did it.  I told him I wanted a divorce," Ben said, rubbing his hand over his face.  Sitting down on the couch in the living room, his eyes darted around the space, eyeing the items that he would need to remove and pack up.

 

"He called me, wanting to stay here. I told him no," Brian said.  "Where did he go?"

 

"Not sure.  He called Em and Ted and they both turned him down.  I don't see him going to Debbie's right now.  He doesn't have a lot of money so I can't imagine he would go to a hotel.  Maybe he's sleeping in his car."

 

"You know, a few years back he made himself a little sleep space in the back of the shop, told me some silly story that he needed it; just like Justin needed a futon in his office.  The big difference is that Justin uses his office, sometimes in the middle of the fricking night.  Can't tell you how many times that man has inspirations in the middle of the night and I turn over and the bed is empty.  I made him put a futon in his studio a few years back as I was tired of finding him passed out on the floor, once the adrenaline from the "amazing idea" had dissipated from his body."

 

Ben laughed at Brian's story.  "That sounds like something Michael would do.  He would think he was just like Justin, having a studio.  Problem is that he is not Justin and he doesn't seem to have many original ideas of his own."

 

"So what can I do for you, Professor?"

 

"Oh, sorry.  I know I'm intruding into your family time.  I just wanted to thank you for your support and ask if you would give me the name of your lawyer.  The sooner I get this taken care of the better."

 

"Done.  I already called him and spoke with him this afternoon.  He will be contacting you tomorrow.  I know you are anxious to get the custody situation taken care of and the other stuff is ...."

 

"I know.  Talk to you soon, Brian.  Say hi to Justin for me and thank you guys so much.  I'll be picking up J.R. tomorrow and getting her settled in.  I will have to look at my schedule and see what I need as far as help in the afternoons."

"Just let us know.  We have to pick up Gus anyway.  One more kid is not a big deal," Brian said.  "I'll have to talk to Chloe and Jennifer and give them a heads up.  Sometimes Jennifer is the designated person when both of us are occupied.  You might want to give her a call and tell her what's up."

 

"Sure.  I'll do that now.  I think I'll wait until tomorrow to talk to Debbie.  Give Michael a chance to tell his mom."

 

"Sounds good.  Have a good evening,"  Brian said and he disconnected his phone.  Justin walked in the room and Brian said, "That was Ben.  He told Michael and now Michael is gone.  I know that this is hard for him and will take some adjusting.  I told him that he should tell Jennifer as sometimes she picks up Gus.  If it is on a day that he can't pick up J.R. and she is picking up Gus, she needs to know." 

 

"I guess that means we need to tell Chloe too.  Wow, divorce and custody can be complicated."

 

"Sure, but Ben is doing this for J.R., just like we did it for Gus.  It really isn't a sacrifice for him,"  Brian said as he kissed Justin on the cheek.  "Speaking of children, where are ours?"

 

"Gus is playing with Colin in the media room.  Colin and he are having a great game of chase.  Colin is crawling after him and laughing up a storm."

"Let's go see them.  I want to see my children, not talk about other people's kids," Brian said as he walked toward the media room. 

 

They watched and played with their children until it was time for Colin to go to sleep.  They gave him a bath, sang him a song and read him a story.  He was no longer getting a bedtime bottle as he was eating solid food and didn't need a bottle before he went to bed.  After Colin went to bed, Gus and Justin drew a little and then he went to bed as well.  It had been a long day and the two men retired to their own bedroom for some mutuals blow jobs and sleep.

 

******

 

Ben looked at his home, seeing all the trinkets and toys that Michael had displayed throughout their space.  He went to the basement, found several boxes, and quickly packed them.  Next, he went to their bedroom and boxed up all of Michael's clothing and other items that were in their house.  A few tears escaped as he packed, but Ben did not want to dwell on his failed marriage, preferring to think about the exciting new chapter in his life as he became a father to J.R. 

 

Going to the spare bedroom, he looked around and found the space lacking.  He wanted to have J.R. decorate it, therefore, he did not do anything to the room.  Hunter had moved out when he left for college and only came home occasionally. 

 

Picking up the phone, he pushed 3 and heard the ringing of the phone on the other end. 

 

"What's up?" Hunter answered, surprised to see Ben's name on the caller ID.  They talked every Tuesday and sometimes Hunter called him at other times.  He and Ben had grown very close following his adoption and he often thought of him as biologically connected rather than his adopted dad.  Hunter was sitting at his kitchen table reading an article about a new drug for HIV as he was waiting for his dinner to finish cooking.

 

"Hunter, I'm divorcing Michael,"  Ben said, just as matter a factly as he told Michael.

 

"Divorce?"

 

"Yes.  An opportunity has come up for me to be involved with J.R. on a daily basis and he does not want to be a full-time parent.  I can't pass this one up and I don't want to fight continually about the time I'm spending with her or doing things for her," Ben explained, trying to keep the explanation simple, but truthful.

 

"You going to adopt her or something?  What about Michael?  He's her biological father and if you're not with him, how does that work?" 

 

"Brian helped me with some research. Seems this time the law is on my side.  With gay marriage and adoption, oftentimes, neither parent is actually biologically connected to the child; therefore the law says that both parents have equal rights even if they are not together."  Ben wondered how many times he would have to explain this scenario in the upcoming months.  He was sure it would come up a lot.  He realized that this was something he didn't mind doing as it helped demonstrate his commitment to this course of action.

 

"Okay.  Every kid deserves a caring parent.  I'm glad you stepped up for me.  I'd probably be dead if you hadn't," Hunter said as memories of his years as a hustler flashed through his mind.  He remembered the first time Ben reached out to him, bringing him a coat.  He knew that this man was different.  He had no frame of reference for good parenting until Ben came along.  "But it's different with J.R.  She isn't being prostituted by her parents, just ignored.  I guess that is something."

"Yes, but every kid deserves a loving home and parents that pay attention to them,"  Ben said as he inwardly winced at the verbal reminder of Hunter's early years.  He knew that Hunter had overcome his horrific childhood and early years, but he was left with a lifelong illness and if his mother had done her job as a good parent, that would not have happened.  It saddened him to think that his son was dealing with this disease as a result of his mother's actions. 

 

"Well, I think you are a great parent and she's lucky.  I know I live across town now, but if you need any help or just someone to have another opinion, I'm happy to help.  What about Debbie?  What is her take on all this?"

 

"Thanks, I may take you up on your offer.  As for Debbie, well, I haven't told her yet.  I thought I would wait a few days, let Michael have the opportunity to inform her.  However, I'm sure she will be pounding on my door wanting to know what I did to Michael. She's been a not so silent partner in our marriage for a long time."  He wanted to say more regarding his husband's inclusion of Brian in their marriage as well, but thought that he should stay clear of denigrating Hunter's other parent. 

 

"Yeah.  I could see that.  I'm sorry to hear that the marriage is over, but I just want you to know that I appreciate what you did for me when you agreed to adopt me, and while J.R. is not in the same situation, I'm sure you will do everything to make her childhood a good one."

 

"Thanks, Hunter.  I'll see you at our lunch date next week.  I can give you an update then."

 

"Sounds good.  My dinner is ready so I'll let you go.  Have a good evening."

 

Ben hung up the phone and let out a big sigh.  He had told everyone in his immediate circle about him divorcing Michael and it had gone well.  No one seemed to question why he was doing it.  He knew that it would not be this simple in the end. Debbie would have her say in the matter and that Michael would not give up so easily, but for now, there was nothing else he could do. 

 

He undressed and took a shower.  A bit of longing came over him as he washed his body and he realized that it might be a long time before anyone else would do this to him.  He was saddened at the thought of the loss of intimacy but he knew it was a small price to pay for the chance to be a father.  Finishing in the shower, he dried off and went to the kitchen to find something to eat.  He found some leftover Thai food and heated it up for his dinner. 

 

He had a few papers to grade as he did not finish them all on Saturday when he was taking care of J.R.  Taking out his briefcase, he pulled the remaining papers out and begun to grade them, pushing all thought of divorce, fatherhood, and relationships to the back of his mind.

 

******

 

Monday dawned and Ben went to work, teaching his two classes and holding office hours.  Throughout the day he was alert every time his phone dinged.  He half expected to hear from Michael, pretending that nothing had happened the night before and asking what they were going to do tonight. He was anxious to hear from the lawyer about the next step in the process and he wanted to get the papers from Mel as soon as possible.  He had contacted Mel regarding picking up J.R. today and gathering a lot of her clothes and toys. She had agreed that they could come over after dinner to do this.  He was already scheduled to pick her up today.  He decided to take her to his office while he finished his work. She would get used to being there and she could meet his colleagues. 

 

At 2:30, he stopped working and drove to J.R.'s school to pick her up.  She came out of the building and went immediately to his car.

 

"Daddy Ben, Momma told me you were coming today.  I'm so excited.  Am I going to sleep at your house again? Are we going to see Gus? I'm hungry. Do you have a snack?"

 

"One question at a time.  Yes, you are going to sleep at my house.  We aren't going to see Gus tonight, we have things to do, but later this week we will schedule a time to go out to Britin.  As for being hungry, what do you want and don't tell me cookies and milk since I know in that area, your moms were pretty strict about your options."

 

J.R. giggled at Ben.  "I can't fool you.  You're a professor.  I told all my friends that I was going to live with you and thought it was cool. Do you think I could have some of them over after school, now that I'm living with you?  That would be so cool.  My friend, Jessica lives near you, I think.  Maybe you can call her mom or dad and talk about it.  Oh, and my friend Sarah asked me to go spend the night on Friday.  Can I go?  Please, Daddy Ben."

 

Ben took a big deep breath.  He hadn't expected instant fatherhood to present so many requests.  Hunter had been much older and presented with the need for basic assistance, a roof over his head, food, and clothing.  J.R. had all of those things and her needs were more for friendship and guidance.  He knew he could be a great parent, but there was a reason that most parents started out with babies and they learned to handle the challenges as the child grew.  He was getting instant parenthood of an 8-year-old. 

 

"Put your seatbelt on.  We are going to the store and shopping for food so you will have healthy choices for eating.  Next, we are going to the store so you can buy some items for your room.  The guest room is pretty nondescript and I'm sure you would like some items that are yours.  I was thinking a comforter to start.  As for friends, playdates, and sleepovers, let's take this one day at a time.  I need time to get you settled and then talk to your friend's parents.  I don't want you going someplace that I'm not familiar with.  I want you safe."

"Oh Daddy Ben, they are my friends.  Of course, I'm safe. That is silly," J.R. said as she questioned Ben.

 

"Doesn't matter.  Parents need to know the children their children hang out with.  So I will decide if you can go once I talk to the parents."  Ben checked to see if she had put on her seatbelt and put the car in gear to drive to the grocery store.

 

"I thought living with you would be different.  You won't let me do anything either,"  J.R. said as she pouted at not being given the automatic okay as she expected.

 

Ben pulled off to the side of the parking lot of the school.  He turned off the car and looked at J.R.  " I know you are disappointed but pouting isn't going to change my mind.  You were used to your mothers not being there for you and you jumped at the chance to live with me.  Sounds like you expected to do everything you wanted and that there would be no rules."

 

"None of my friends have rules in their house," J.R. said, defending her position.

 

"I doubt that is true, but I am not your friend's parent.  I am your parent.  I want you to come live with me and spend time being a child, not a person who only does chores.  However, every parent has rules about what is and what is not allowed in their home.  Believe it or not, rules show you that I care about you.  If I didn't care, I would let you do anything, but then you wouldn't learn responsibility. Responsibility is an important part of being an adult.  You have to start having responsibility for different tasks and projects in your childhood."

 

"I had lots of responsibility when I lived with my moms,"  J.R. said as she tried to reign in Ben.  "I don't need you to teach me about that."

 

"Yes, you had a lot of chores, but responsibility comes in many forms.  You are responsible for homework and chores, but responsibility also is seen in how you handle your friendships, the community, and how you treat your family.  You are responsible for your behavior too.  I have to make sure that you learn responsibility for your behavior, not just the tangible things like chores and homework."

 

"What is tangible?"

 

"Tangible means something you can touch.  You touch things in order to do your chores- things like dishes and a vacuum.  You have your books and pen and paper to do homework or your computer.  But you cannot touch social responsibility or your friendship with friends and family."

 

"Okay. But what has that got to do with seeing my friends?"

 

"It is my responsibility as your parent to ensure your safety.  One way I do that is to talk to your friend's parents.  I need to ensure that you there will be an adult home in case of emergency and know what kinds of activities they would allow you to do.  For instance, I'm not comfortable with you jumping on a trampoline in someone's yard.  It's dangerous.  If that was an activity that you would possibly do at someone's house, I would not let you go there, but they could come to our house or I could take you somewhere safe where you could do that activity."

 

"I never thought of visiting my friends in that way.  Since my moms never let me do it, I didn't really think about it.  Thanks for caring, Daddy Ben. So do you think you could talk to my friend's parents soon?  I'd really like to go to Sarah's Friday night," she said, a familiar puppy dog looks in her eyes.  Ben recognized that look and knew he was susceptible to its pleading, but knew that he needed to be firm right now as they were still getting their footing. 

 

"I'm not promising anything.  If you get me Sarah's parent's information, I will try and call them tomorrow or the next day.  Remember that the phone call is not a guarantee of you spending the night."  Ben looked at J.R. and smiled.  He knew this was going to be an adventure and he was up for it, he just wished Mel and Linds had let him be more active in the past so there wouldn't be such a big learning curve.  Realizing he couldn't change the past but only could affect the future, he turned back toward the steering wheel.  "You ready to go shopping?  I'm sure you have homework and we have a lot to do before its bedtime."

 

"Yeah, I'm ready.  I'm sorry, Daddy Ben.  I didn't mean to get mad."

 

"J.R., I guarantee this will not be the first time we get mad at each other.  You shouldn't hold back just because this arrangement is new for both of us.  I want you to come live with me and I know you want the same thing.  It's going to take some time to adjust."

 

"Daddy Ben.  Can I ask you a question?"

 

"Always, sweetheart.  I may not like the question and I may feel that I don't want to answer it, but you can always ask.  What do you want to know?"

 

"Where is Daddy Michael?"

 

TBC