Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here is the next installment.  I hope everyone enjoys the adventure.

Week 18

 

Justin was restless, tossing and turning all night.  He tried to stay on his side of the bed, allowing his husband to sleep but he thought he was only partially successful.  It was a big day for him, well for both of them really, but especially him.  He was going to see his child. 

Cynthia had gotten pregnant about 3 months after she offered to carry their child.  The doctors said this timeframe was normal.  Justin and Brian had been on pins and needles for the entire process, now having a better appreciation for all that traditional couples experienced when trying to have a baby.  She'd had an early ultrasound, basically to confirm that she was pregnant and there was a heartbeat but Justin had not accompanied her to that one.  Today's ultrasound would be his first introduction to their child.  Brian had decided that he would leave the doctor visits to Justin and Cynthia.  With the lines between employer and employee were already very blurry, they had all agreed that Brian would not discuss Cynthia's pregnancy at work. 

The only allowance being her absence from work for doctor appointments or blood work due to the pregnancy.  Cynthia refrained from discussing the pregnancy for the same reason.  She hadn't started to show yet, but she knew that her clothes were getting tight and soon she would have to start shopping for maternity wear.  Brian had already opened an account at Motherhood Maternity and Nordstrom so she would not have any additional expenses.  She was to give the receipts to Ted, the only Kinnetik employee who knew about her situation. Ted had been extremely pleased that Brian and Justin trusted him with this information and was very excited for their child's arrival.

The alarm went off, jolting Justin from his half-doze.  His initial response was to pull the pillow over his head, but Brian pulled the pillow off.

"Rise and shine," he said as he kissed Justin on the back of the head.

"I'm sleeping," Justin said as he reached for the pillow to return it to his head.

"Should have thought of that last night when you were tossing and turning."

"I'm sorry. I'm just excited."

"Sorry's bullshit," Brian said, the familiar phrase not needing explanation.  "Today's a big day and I need my assistant back in the office as early as possible.  There is a big meeting with Remson at noon and I have a strategy meeting to plan a new focus group at 4:00."  Brian teased Justin, hoping to show his support for the medical side but still showing his need for the professional responsibilities of his assistant.  Brian laid the pillow back on the bed and kissed Justin on his head and then smacked his ass.  "Time to get up, Sunshine.  Better get used to getting up early.  Our child will not understand that daddy isn't a morning person."

"Ugh.  You think we can convince him/her to sleep in?  I think that's a great skill to ingrain in the very young.  I hear that if you teach kids early, they can learn anything."  Justin looked at Brian with mischief in his eyes. 

Brian laughed and swatted Justin's ass a second time.  "Come on.  Cynthia told me she had an early morning appointment. You don't want the doctor to wait."  Brian got out of bed and pulled his side of the blankets up toward the pillow.  Justin sighed and stumbled out of bed making his way to the bathroom.

They showered together, enjoying a quick morning tryst, not willing to forego that pleasure.  Brian exited the shower, grabbed a towel from the towel warmer and dried off quickly.  He dressed for the day in a dark gray Armani suit with a red shirt and a darker red tie showing off his impeccable physique and great sense of style. Justin followed suit and was soon dressed in khaki pants and a blue screened t-shirt. Brian looked at his partner and shook his head.

"Well at least you don't look like a high school student.  Dressed like that people might think you're Cynthia's boy toy; silently congratulating her for scoring the young stud.  If they only knew you batted for the other team."

Justin laughed at Brian's teasing.  He straightened his side of the bed and walked around the bed to give Brian a kiss on the lips.  "I guess some people may consider me your boy toy," he said as he teased back. 

"Ha Ha," Brian said as he smiled as well, remembering the ribbing he used to receive regarding the age difference between him and Justin.  These days, it was something neither of them really thought about. They were equals, each bringing money and experience to the relationship.  "What are your plans for the rest of the day?"

"I need to stop by the art supply store and pick up a few brushes and some canvases for Gus.  I promised him we would have another lesson when he comes out this weekend.  I also have to meet my mom for lunch and have a meeting with Michael about "Rage".  I promised him we would discuss another issue."

"Do not let him design the next issue around the baby.  This guy is a superhero and I think Rage needs his own life, not a parallel version of ours," Brian said in a stern voice, letting Justin know there was no argument in this area.  Brian walked toward the kitchen.

Grabbing a coffee mug from the cabinet, he poured himself a large cup of coffee and placed sugar and creamer in it.  After smelling the delicious aroma, he blew on the hot brew and took a sip.  Smiling he said, "I'm glad you indulge me and let me get that Brazilian special blend."  He took several more swallows and then grabbed a glass for his Guava juice.

"I still don't know how you drink that stuff.  It is really vile."

"And this from the man who likes Oreo's and Captain Crunch."  Brian finished his juice and coffee, picked up his briefcase from its place underneath the planning desk and kissed Justin on the cheek.

"You going to find out the sex today?"

"Not sure.  Do you want to know?"

"Yeah.  Since you've got errands in town, are you stopping by Kinnetik?"

"Thought you had a very busy day," Justin said as he grabbed the bag of bagels and untwisted the closure. 

"I do, but you can come by if you have time."  Unless there was a crisis, Brian always had time for Justin. If the surrogate had been a stranger, he would be attending the appointment but since it was Cynthia, he respected the lines they had agreed upon, but was disappointed that he would miss those milestones. 

"Sure," Justin said recognizing Brian's unspoken communication.  Justin leaned over and kissed Brian on the mouth and then popped his bagels into the toaster. 

Brian left their home and drove to Kinnetik while Justin finished his breakfast.   Setting the alarm and gathering the items he needed for the day, he loaded his car and made his way into Pittsburgh where he met Cynthia at the doctor's office.

Cynthia was seated on a small gray and blue leather couch.  There were 5 connecting couches making a sort of U on the perimeter of the waiting area and then there was a row of three seats back to back in the middle of the room.  There were 8 people in the waiting room and 4 of those were obvious couples.  It looked like the single women were there for regular visits as they did not appear pregnant.

Justin walked in and sat next to Cynthia and said, "Good morning."

"Sorry to get you here this early, but we've got a full day at the office and I need to be there to coordinate stuff."  Cynthia said as she looked at her phone.

"Brian said the same thing this morning.  We could have done this another time.  Do you want to reschedule?" Justin looked sheepishly at Cynthia, feeling a little guilty about taking her away from Kinnetik.

"Justin, having a baby is not really something you can move around on your calendar.  The appointments are set at regular intervals to ensure everything is going like it's supposed to. I'm always going to be busy at Kinnetik; I just try to schedule my appointments around the less busy times."

"I know, it's just..." Justin stopped in mid-sentence, not sure what he could say that would fit the situation.

"Cynthia," the nurse called as she stepped into the waiting room.

Justin looked at Cynthia and said, "That's us.  I'm so excited to see my child."

The other patients in the waiting room gave him an odd look but of course, proper decorum forbid them from asking any questions.

They were led back to the exam room and Cynthia was asked to strip to her bra and put on the paper privacy garments. 

Justin said, "I'll step outside and just open the door when you've changed."

The nurse looked at him oddly.

"She's our surrogate," Justin said and opened the door to wait outside.

"You were talking like you knew each other.  I apologize." The nurse got out the gown and the paper sheet for Cynthia to put on.

"I've known him and his partner for over 10 years and his partner is my boss."

"You must really like your boss."

"I do.  He's the most kind, generous man I know.  Just don't tell him that."  She laughed, knowing how much Brian would hate being the topic of conversation, especially in an OB office.  She changed quickly and opened the door to allow Justin back in.  He sat in the chair, but averted his eyes away from her.

She covered herself with the paper sheet as best she could.  "Justin, just try to look at my belly."

"Sure.  I guess it just occurred to me that if I'm going to be at the birth..."

Cynthia laughed uproariously.  "Didn't you take sex ed in that preppy school you attended? The sperm goes in the vagina to meet the egg and at the end of 9 months the baby comes out the same way- through the vagina."

"Do you have to be so graphic?" Justin nodded and smiled.  "And yes, I know where babies come from- how they're made and how they're born.  But since I knew I was gay from the time I was about 15, I never really paid attention to the details as I knew I was never going to have to worry about getting a girl pregnant. Now, here you are with my child growing inside you."  He placed his hand on her belly with a look of pure awe on his face.

The doctor walked in at that moment and Justin quickly removed his hand form Cynthia's abdomen, almost like the touch was burning him.

"It won't hurt the baby.  You can touch as much as you want.  And you can have intercourse as well.  I promise it won't hurt the baby."

"Oh there is no worry there.  I won't be having sex with Cynthia but hey Cyn, you can still get Johan to do the deed."

The doctor looked at Justin and Cynthia with a frown, but proceeded with the exam.  As he read the previous notes in the file, he nodded his head and then smiled, relieved to see his notes.

"So you are the biological father?" He asked Justin as he took out his stethoscope to listen to Cynthia's heartbeat.

"Yes.  We decided I would attend the appointments with her, but now I'm having second thoughts about watching the birth.  Not sure I want to see all of Cynthia." Justin admitted.

"We have a long time until that decision is needed.  Let's listen to the baby.  See how it's doing."  He took out a fetal Doppler and placed it on Cynthia's belly and heard the heartbeat.  Taking the corresponding ear piece he let Cynthia and then Justin hear the whoosh of the baby's heart. 

"It sounds like a washing machine. Is that normal?" Justin asked, concerned when the sound did not match up to his expectations.

"Sounds just like it's supposed to. Let's get you down to the ultrasound room and take a look at your baby."

They went to the ultrasound room and the technician performed the procedure.  The technician pointed out the baby's head and legs and arms.  They were unable to tell the sex of the child but both of them watched as the computer rendered a 3D picture of the baby.

Handling the printout to Justin, he stared in awe.  "Can Cynthia have one too?"

"Sure."  The technician printed one for her as well and then wiped the gel off Cynthia.  "You can get dressed now.  The doctor will meet you back in the exam room."

They returned to the room and the doc joined them a few minutes later.  "Everything looks fine.  Based on this ultrasound, the baby is about 18 weeks along. That places your due date in late April.  We won't need another one unless there is a problem.  We'll see you in another month." The doctor reached out his hand to shake Justin's and Cynthia's hand and left the room.

Justin stared at the picture, still taking in the reality of seeing this small human that was his.  "Thank you for doing this for us."

"Your welcome.  I'd love to stay and chat but I have to get to work.  Brian is probably watching the clock, especially since I told him I'd be in by 9:30 and it's that time now."

"He won't fire you." Justin said as he thought of the many times Brian threatened that action with both Cynthia and Ted.

"No, he won't but I'm not showing enough for him to get a visual reminder of my tardiness either.  It will be easier next month when I really start to show."

"I'll see you at Kinnetik later. I have some errands to run." They walked out the exam room door and into the lobby of the office.  Cynthia made her way to the appointment desk and made an appointment for her next visit and then left for work.

Justin placed his ultrasound printout in his messenger bag and walked to his car.

He ran his errands and went to lunch with his mom, showing her the picture of her future grandchild.  As expected, she was very excited and hugged Justin at least five times during their lunch.

When he got to Kinnetik, Cynthia was at her desk and nodded to him that Brian was free.  He opened the door and smiled at Brian who looked up from his computer screen.

"My assistant got here about 10:00 and it's almost 2:00.  I take it your errands and lunch with Mother Taylor went well," Brian said, tongue in cheek.

"Mom was so excited about seeing the ultrasound.  I've got my copy. Want to see?" Justin asked as he starts to dig into his bag to find the precious paper.

"Bring it here." Brian waves at Justin and points to his lap as the preferred seat.

Justin sits on Brian's lap and lays the paper on the desk.  Pointing to the picture, he said, "This is the head and these are the babies arms and legs.  Here is the butt.  Isn't it amazing?"

Brian follows Justin's finger as he points out all the strategic places, nodding at each place.  "It still looks alien to me, but I'm sure the baby is gorgeous, like you."  He kisses Justin on the lips and Justin opens his mouth to share the kiss.  Brian's hands start caressing Justin's back and he hugs him tight to his body.  Justin feels Brian's erection hitting him, and he pushes down to stimulate him. 

Cynthia walks in just as Brian starts to turn Justin around so he could straddle him.

"Sorry to interrupt the baby ogling, but I've got Remson on the phone and he wants to talk about the meeting this morning.  He has some additional ideas."

"Okay." Brian lets Justin go and Justin stands up, giving Brian a quick parting kiss.  "See you tonight."

"Later," Brian said as he picks up the phone to answer the call.

"Later," Justin responds as he follows Cynthia out of the office.

"Thank you."  He hugs her and then leaves the building. 

 

TBC

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Comments always welcome