Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Another new chapter-  still writing and trying to finish this story-  

Brian and Justin left the loft; Brian going to Kinnetik and Justin attending his meeting.  Both men allowed their respective businesses to occupy their mind, but when their initial commitments were complete, each of them thought of their family and hoped the coming weeks would go smoothly.

 

Justin picked up Brian from Kinnetik at 2:45 as he wanted them to arrive at the school early.  He walked into the reception area and greeted the new receptionist, Alana.

 

"Good afternoon.  Is Brian available?" Justin knew he was always welcome in his husband's office but he'd learned that when Brian was on the phone, he could not be disturbed.  Brian put all his attention to his phone conversations, schmoozing the client, or unruffling feathers and if Justin came in, he would stop the flow of Brian's thoughts.

 

Alana smiled at him and nodded.  "He's free.  He's been a little testy today but not too much," she said, giving Justin a glimpse into Brian's mental state.  Anyone who worked at Kinnetik quickly learned that while Brian was always the consummate professional, his mood definitely reflected what was occurring in his life.  There were many times that Justin showed up at Kinnetik and Cynthia practically hugged him as she urged him to go calm his partner.

 

"Do you have any new pictures of that adorable baby?"

 

Justin eagerly took out his phone and showed her the latest picture of Colin and Gus.  Gus was on the floor playing blocks with him and it was an adorable picture.

 

"That is so sweet.  Gus really dotes on him.  I'm sure he's a big help."

 

"They are great together.  Gus is a loving big brother.  Hope that lasts. When Colin starts walking and getting into things, Gus may not like him so much.  I remember when my sister was little; I used to love playing with her as a baby but then she grew up and got into everything.  I wasn't so happy with her then." Justin smiled and got a far away look in his eye as if he were remembering some of those times.  

 

"I better let him know I'm here.  We have to leave to pick up Gus." Justin put away his phone and started walking toward Brian's office when Brian opened the door.

 

"Thought I heard talking out here.  Good thing you own half the company.  I'd not be happy with you wasting company time showing pictures of your kid," he said, tongue in cheek.  Brian had built an employee daycare on site many years ago and even had a paternity policy for those employees who wanted to spend time with their newborns.  He researched successful companies and realized that those types of perks meant a lot to employees and they were often more likely to stay when the policies were family friendly.  He worked his employees hard but they were always well rewarded for it.

 

"It's almost 3:00, we should be heading out," Justin said, glancing at the clock on the wall.

 

"Okay.  I already turned off my computer and my briefcase is at home. I'll go hang up my coat.  Remind me that I need to get it cleaned; it's been here a few weeks," Brian said as he nodded at Alana.  "I should be in tomorrow, but if not, I'll let you know."

 

"Have a good evening.  See you tomorrow," she said and answered the ringing phone.  "Good afternoon.  Kinnetik.  How may I direct your call?"

 

"I really like Alana.  Hope she sticks around.  Although I will always miss seeing Cynthia in that chair. Speaking of Cynthia, we should probably have her out to the house soon. She hasn't seen Colin in a few weeks."

 

"Yes we should.  With everything going on, that hasn't been a priority.  I know she wants to stay involved with him.  Look at your calendar in the next few days and pick an evening.  Since she has access to my work calendar, she'll know if I have an evening commitment. It will be nice to have a normal family get together," Brian said as they walked to the car.  When they got to the car, Brian leaned over and gave his husband a quick kiss.  While he would have loved to do more, he did try to be discreet in the parking lot.  It wouldn't do to look out your office window and see your CEO playing serious tonsil hockey.  Gone were the days, that Brian locked his door, drew the shades and ravished his husband in the middle of the afternoon.  While they occasionally did enjoy an afternoon tryst during work hours, they had both agreed that those activities were private and should be conducted off premises. The loft was only a short drive away and they occasionally used it.

 

Justin got in the driver's side since it was his car and Brian entered the passenger side. Justin backed out of the parking space and headed toward Gus' school.  

 

"Do you think there will be trouble?  If I were Melanie I would go to school today and just pick up Gus as if nothing had changed.  She doesn't know about the papers, does she?"

 

"I just waved them at her yesterday.  I didn't have her read them.  So no, she doesn't know about them. Knowing her, she'd just think I was bluffing and wanted to cause a scene.  As I've said before, I think the idea of having a child was much more enticing than the actual raising of said child.  She is very career minded and I've always thought she had Gus because Lindsay wanted the white picket fence with 2.2 children."

 

"I think you're right.  She doesn't come across particularly motherly, even with J.R. , who is her own kid.  I hate to say it, but maybe Michael should be more involved with her."

 

Brian laughed and almost choked on his own breath. "Seriously, Justin, that is the most absurd idea you have ever come up with.  Well... running away to be a GoGo dancer might have been worse.  But, Michael a parent. The kid would grow up with no fashion sense, loving comics and knowing nothing about the real world.  Mikey is constantly harping on me that I don't want to be a parent as it is a lot of work and leaves me with no free time to trick or hang out.  If nothing else, Mikey is being honest."  Brian thought for a few moments about Justin's statement.  "Now Ben as a father would be something to consider.  He took in Hunter and turned the kid around.  He's now a self respecting counselor at that youth clinic.  I understand he won some award for his work with runaway teens."

 

"Hunter turned out great.  I didn't think you kept up with his life," Justin asked, pleased but a little surprised.

 

"Mikey has to brag on the little hustler.  He takes full credit for how well he is doing.  In reality, the professor had a bigger role in the kid's success.   Mikey didn't even want him, but Ben convinced him it would be a good thing.   I remember Mikey complaining when they first took him in how he ate a lot of food and was interfering in their sex life; they couldn't just do it in the living room or kitchen."  Brian shivered involuntarily at the thought of Mikey and Ben doing it in the living room, knowing he sat on that couch many times. Of course, he reasoned, anyone who came to their home could easily have the same thoughts as he and Justin were known for their sexual adventures.  Now that they had Gus and Colin those activities were relegated to the bedroom or their huge master suite.  "Ben might be a better choice in raising the little girl. When they bring her to Sunday dinner, he's always spending time with her; reading books and playing games."

 

"Yes, you're right.  We're here.  I guess we can speculate about parenthood and other people's desire to have kids later,  Right now, we need to make sure our son goes home with us," Justin said as he drove the car into the carpool lane.  There were about a dozen cars already waiting for the students to be released.  

 

Brian looked around and didn't see either Mel or Linds' car in line and took in a huge breath in order to relax his tight muscles.  

 

Justin heard the purposeful exhale and turned toward Brian, "You okay?"

 

"Fine.  Just have a bad feeling.  Lindsay is such a drama queen and I wouldn't put it past her to show up and cause a scene." Brian could visualize the scene in his head. She would stalk up to the car as she saw Gus getting in.  She would yell and scream, telling Gus that he "better listen, young man, or there would be no (tv, video games, play date- or whatever fun activity they had planned)." He would cringe, look between her and the car and then start crying.   

 

Unfortunately he'd witnessed this type of scenario more than once when Lindsay wanted him to do something at home and he was not cooperating.  He just couldn't understand why she had so much difficulty with him.  Whenever they asked Gus to do something, he usually listened and when he wasn't following directions, they would calmly lay out the consequences and Gus would do what he was supposed to do.  Gus often remarked that he liked it at their home better than at his moms since they didn't yell.  He told them this even before he moved in with them full time.  Even though they were his parents, they respected him and he thought Linds and Mel tried to bully him rather than respect that he had interests and opinions.

 

They heard the school bells ring and a horde of children seemed to explode through the school doors. Planned chaos.  Brian watched in amazement as the children separated themselves into paths, each leading to different destinations.  Watching for Gus, he also kept an eye out for the lesbians.  Before he could spy Gus, he heard the familiar voice of Melanie.

 

"What the fuck do you think you are doing here?" She hissed at him as she too watched for Gus.

 

"Picking up my son from school."

 

"He's my son and he will be coming home with me. You might as well leave now, Kinney. There is no way in hell that I will allow Gus to go home with you."

 

Justin felt his nerves jolt at Mel's words and a trickle of sweat ran down his spine, despite the cool day.  He knew that they would be taking Gus home; the papers in Brian's possession guaranteed that outcome, but still a little niggling fear ran through his body.

 

"I'm taking my son home," Brian said as he dug into his pocket.  Thrusting the papers toward her, he mildly said, "These give me full rights to him and the school has already been notified. Now, why don't you go home to your daughter.  Unlike myself, Mikey doesn't seem to be aware of your desire to pawn your children on the nearest adult."

 

Justin cringed at Brian's words. While true, he knew they would just incite Melanie more.  Michael wasn't really that interested in J.R. or at least that was how it appeared.  His mother, Debbie, loved the idea of a grandchild and if left to raise J.R. like she had raised her son, the girl would not turn out well.  Michael was self centered, lacked even the most basic table manners and had no desire to learn about the world around him.  His entire world revolved around his comics and Brian.  Justin wished, not for the first time, that Brian had not been such a savior for Michael when he was a teen.  Brian protected him from the bullies at school and hung out with him.  Brian was Michael's only true friend and it stood to reason why Michael had clung to him.  However, Michael had never grown up beyond high school.  He still believed that Brian was his protector and that the two of them were up against the world.  Brian had moved beyond high school, moved among the elite in his professional life and had a loving family.  Michael didn't know enough about the world to envy him; he just wanted what he had when they were in high school.  

 

Lindsay had come walking up to the three of them as they were talking.  "Mel, I see Gus.  I'll go get him.  It's been so long since he was at home, maybe we should take him for ice cream at the little store on the corner.  I can't remember the name, but I'm sure it will come to me."  Lindsay walked toward the herd of children looking for Gus.

 

Lindsay found Gus a moment later and motioned for him to come with her. Gus ignored her and frantically looked around for his fathers. He trusted his fathers, they told him he would be going home with them and wouldn't have to live with his moms.  If they told him something, they always did it; unlike his mothers who changed their minds for no apparent reason. Spotting his fathers, he skirted the area where his mother was and walked quickly toward them.

 

"Gus Markus Peterson, you come here this instant.  I know you see me."

 

Gus continued to ignore her and would have started running toward his fathers, but there were just too many children in the path.  His heart was hammering in his chest and his hands were clammy with sweat despite the slight chill in the area. He didn't look toward his mother, not wanting to slow down his escape.

 

Lindsay didn't have any qualms about pushing the children out of her way. She hurried toward her son as she felt her anger increase toward Brian and Justin.  How dare they poison my own son?  He is running away from me.  

 

Mel snatched the papers, glancing at them briefly, her fury rising as she read the legal descriptions and circumstances where they would come into play. Despite her understanding of the document, she started tearing the papers.  She tore them in half and then in half again and thrust the pile of shreds back at Brian.

 

"I don't see any legal documents.  All I see is a bunch of torn paper," she said as she eyed  Lindsay pushing through the multitude of children.  "We'll see you in court."

 

Brian started to go toward the trash can that sat at the edge of the steps, but decided this was evidence if Mel did try to overturn the documents in court.  Before he and Justin could discuss the situation, Gus came toward them, frantic that his mother was still going to try and get him to leave with her.   Once he saw his fathers, he gave both men a hug, trying to keep back the tears that were threatening to flow down his cheeks.  He wiped at the moisture and looked at his dads,

 

"Mom was trying to make me come with her.  I thought you said I would be going home with you.  Why were they here?  Do I have to go home with them?  I don't want to live with them."

 

Justin and Brian both hugged Gus and indicated they should walk toward the car.  Despite his age, they both reached down to hold his hand and he willingly grabbed each of their hands. They got in the car and locked it, physically keeping the women from entering but also giving them a sense of safety, locking in their family.

 

Brian turned around in the seat to talk to his son.  "We told you the truth.  I showed your mama Melanie the papers that I have.   She understood what they meant; we have legal custody of you and they can't make you go with them."

 

"I saw her tearing some papers up when I came up to you.  Our teacher always tells us our homework has to be in one piece or it's not any good," Gus said with concern in his voice.  

 

"Those are copies.  I have the originals in a safe and they are also filed with the court. Mama Mel knew that tearing the papers up was not going to make the situation go away. She is a lawyer and she recognized the papers for what they were, custody of you.  Like we said this morning, you will be living with us unless you want to go live with your moms."

 

"No, I don't want to go back there.  I want to live with you and Daddy Justin.  Can we go home now?  I want to see Colin and play with him."

 

"Sure.  Put on your seatbelt and we'll be on our way," Justin said as he smiled at Brian.  He was very proud at how he handled the situation and fervently wished that the incident was over, but he knew the girls would most likely fight the custody since Mel did not know about the agreement.

 

"How was your day?  I know you were racing off to science class this morning. How did the experiment with the volcano go? Was it as fun as you thought it would be?" Justin asked, hoping to bring some semblance of normality to the ride.  He always asked Gus about his day, trying to remember specific areas that the young boy had talked about the night before.

 

"Oh, it was so cool, Daddy Justin.  You should have been there.  Mr. Shulte had this volcano he made out of soap-  Ivory something.  And then he poured some really funny stuff-  you know the box with the Arm and Hammer that we use to make cookies....  With some vinegar into the hole.  And the whole thing erupted.... You know, just like a real volcano-  the mountain melted and ran all over the wood table that he had it on.  I love science.  I think I want to be a scientist when I grow up so I can blow up stuff," Gus said, evidently enthralled and impressed by the simple experiment.  

 

"You can be anything that you want to be, Sonny boy,"  Brian said as he smiled at his son's rendition of the simple experiment.  "I bet we could come up with some other stuff to make our own experiments."

 

"That would so cool.  Johnny's dad said that real scientists need lots of schooling and have to study a lot.  I like science, but I also want to work at Kinnetik. Dad, does Kinnetik need a scientist?" Gus asked as he looked out the window as they drove down the highway.

 

"You're only 10.  You don't have to decide right now.  We'll set aside some time to do some experiments when Daddy Justin has Colin occupied.  Doing experiments when babies are around isn't a very good idea."

 

"Okay.  Maybe when Daddy Justin takes Colin to see grandma Jenn.  Could we do it then?  Each of us would have our daddy to ourselves."

 

Justin looked at Brian, seeing the frown on his partner's face at Gus' proclamation.

 

"Buddy, do you feel daddy doesn't spend enough time with you?" Justin asked solicitously.

 

"No.  I just think it would be cool to have time with just Daddy.  I spend a lot of time with you when we paint, but I don't do anything very often with just Daddy.  This could be something for us," Gus said, not realizing the impact of his words on his fathers.  "Me and him could do a few experiments and then when you come home, daddy could take Colin and we could paint.  That way each of us gets a daddy all to himself for a little bit."

 

"Okay,"  Justin said as he breathed out a little in relief.  It appeared that Gus just wanted some daddy time, not that he was feeling neglected.  After all that they had gone through and all the potential fights and arguments that were anticipated with his mothers, the last thing they wanted was for Gus to feel that he was being neglected by his fathers.  They wanted to ensure that he always felt wanted and cared for by both men.

 

"I'll let Grandma Jenn know that it will be just the two of us this Saturday and then maybe next Saturday you and I could go to Grandma's and daddy would stay home with Colin.  That way Grandma Jenn can have you all to herself too."

 

"I bet Grandma Jenn would like to have just one of us to play with sometimes.  That way she could do special stuff with each of us. I don't want that all the time.  I like doing things as a family, but it would be fun to be the only one," Gus said, in agreement.

 

They arrived at the house and Gus took his backpack up to his room and took off his school clothes and put on his play clothes.

 

"Do you have any homework?" Brian asked as he got down the plate from the cabinet.  He placed a banana and a cookie on the plate and poured a glass of milk as well.  Placing the snack at Gus' seat at the table, he sat down in his chair and waited for his son to answer.

 

"Just a little math.  I'm going to do it and then can I play with Colin?"

 

"Sure, buddy.  Daddy Justin and I have some important grown up stuff to talk about.  After your snack, go do your homework and we'll see you at dinner."  Brian bent down and kissed his son on the forehead and Justin did the same.  

 

"Bye dads.  Later," Gus said and both men grinned at the familiar salutation.

 

Brian and Justin went into Brian's study, closing the door behind them.  

 

Brian went to the liquor cart, pouring himself a shot of Beam and offered one to Justin as well.  Justin declined and grabbed a bottle of water from the mini fridge.  

 

"What do you think will happen,Brian?"

 

"I think Melanie will realize that we have legal documents that she can't refute."

 

"Do you think she will just give up?"

 

"No.  But I think she will have Lindsay call me and try to use her "Wendy" voice and old friend reasoning to try and change our mind."  Brian took a sip from his glass, not finishing the shot.  He wasn't trying to get drunk and forget, just wanted to have something to do with his hands.  

 

"But Lindsay is the one who asked us to keep him," Justin said, trying to use reason to solve the problem rather than lesbian logic.

 

"True, but lesbian logic is the only recourse Mel has."

 

Before Justin could respond, Brian's cell phone rang.  Looking at the caller ID, he answered.   "Hello Lindsay."

 

TBC