Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

Brian followed Justin through the security doors and donned a paper gown and shoes.  Justin wanted to laugh but he refrained from doing so as he knew that Brian would not appreciate the humor.  They entered the room and Cynthia was holding the baby and smiling at him.  She lifted her arms toward Brian and said,

 

"Here's your son, Brian."

 

Brian looked at the little boy, eyes closed, bundled in a little hospital issue blanket with a small cap on his head. 

 

"Hey there, Sonny boy," he whispered as he smiled at the small baby.  "We're so glad you're here."

 

Brian walked to the chair in the corner of the room and sat down.   "He's here.  Welcome to the world. Colin.  There are so many people who want to meet you and well, there are a few who aren't real certain about you."  Brian spoke in soft tones as he looked at his son, counting his fingers and marveling at the tiny hands.

 

"Don't start telling him about the negative things already, Brian.  He's only 20 minutes old."

 

"Justin, at this stage I could be reading a story about an axe murderer and he wouldn't care.  He's just getting used to my voice. "

 

‘Okay,' Justin said, eyeing his partner with a frown.

 

"I told you I read all that stuff that Cynthia's doc had on the web page."  Brian smiled as he caressed Colin's face. 

 

Cynthia yawned, suddenly very tired from all the exertion.  Justin looked over at her, smiling so hard that his mouth almost hurt.  

 

"Bri, I think we need to let Cynthia rest.  Put Colin in the bassinet and we'll come back in a bit.  I'm hungry and we need to call Gus.  I know he's been so excited about the baby and will want to know Colin is finally here."

 

Brian placed Colin back in the bassinet, giving him a light kiss on the forehead as he followed Justin out of the room.  "He looks just like you, beautiful.  Let's go see Mother Taylor." 

 

They walked out to the waiting room where Jennifer was sitting and holding her phone.   "I texted Molly and Tucker.   She's coming in a little while.  Can I see my little grandson?"

 

"Cynthia's resting but I think they took Colin to the nursery.  Let's go look at your grandson and I think they'll let me in to hold him.  I'm his dad after all."  Justin held his hand up to help get his mom out of the chair and the three of them walked toward the nursery.  Justin tapped on the window, showing his id and the nurse beckoned him inside where he walked toward Colin's crib.   He leaned over and picked up the tiny baby, kissing him gently on the forehead and walked with him toward the window so his mom could see him. Jennifer put her hand to her mouth and her eyes grew wide with pleasure. 

 

"Oh, he's adorable," she said as she reached out her hand to touch the glass where Justin stood with Colin. She turned toward Brian and said, "He looks just like Justin, down to the small button nose."

 

Justin returned Colin to his bassinet and joined them outside the nursery.  "He's the most beautiful baby."

 

Jennifer laughed at his enthusiasm and Justin looked offended.  "Every parent thinks their child is the most beautiful child in the world.  It's how nature helps parents bond with them,"  Jennifer said as she smiled at her son, remembering a similar conversation she had with her mother when she held Justin.

 

"Somebody else reads parenting books," Brian said, tongue in cheek.

 

Justin smacked Brian lightly on the arm, "Mom, tell him that parenting books have a lot of good advice."  Justin enlisted his mother's help.

 

Jennifer looked between the two men and smiled.  "I will tell you two once and only once.  I'm happy to help, but I will not referee your childrearing decisions.  This is your child and you will have to agree or disagree on how to raise him.  Right now, I see your sister walking down the hall and I'm going to show her your son.  I suggest you start calling everyone, especially Gus.   There will be consequences if you wait too long."  Jennifer walked toward Molly and took her to the nursery.

 

Brian and Justin drove toward Mel and Lindsay's house, choosing to tell Gus in person and wanting to take him to the hospitalBy t the time they arrived it was mid-afternoon and Gus was already home from school.  Gus answered the door and lunged at Brian and Justin.

 

"Daddy!!!  Justin!!!!.   I made a cool picture for the baby's room in art class today," he said as he raced up toward his bedroom. 

 

Hearing the door open, Lindsay walked into the living room, surprised to see Brian and Justin in the middle of the afternoon.

 

"Hi.  Everything okay?  Why aren't you at work?"

 

"We came to bring Gus to the hospital.  Cynthia had Colin and we want him to see his brother," Brian said. Without waiting for Lindsay's reply Brian went up the stairs to view the picture and bring Gus down stairs.  He wanted both of them to tell him about Colin. 

 

Justin sat on the worn red couch in the living room and motioned for Gus to join him by patting the seat next to him.  Gus joined him and Brian sat on the other side.

 

"I brought the picture, Justin." He held out the picture for Justin to see.  "Can we hang it up in the baby's room?"

 

Justin looked at the picture and smiled. Gus had drawn a picture of four people; one blonde, one brunette and one child and a baby was in a blanket next to them.   "See, it's us. This is you," he said as he pointed to the blonde figure.  "And this is Daddy and me," he said as he pointed to the other figures.  "And this is the new baby.  I wasn't sure how to draw a baby so I figured if I put a head in a blanket it would work.  Justin, can you show me how to draw a baby?  I want to draw him when it's born."

 

Justin and Brian both gave Gus a huge hug.  "Gus, I think that can be arranged.  In fact, we can start today.  Your brother, Colin was born a little while ago.  Would you like to go meet him?"  Justin said as he watched Gus' expression when he heard the news.

 

"He's here.  It's a boy and you named him Colin.  That's a cool name.  Can I hold him?  I've never held a baby before.  Can we play together?  I know he's going to be lots of fun.  I want to see him.  Can I go see him?"  Turning toward his mother, he asked, "Can I go see him?  Please?  I know it's a school night, but it's not every day that my brother is born."

 

Lindsay smiled and nodded her head.  "Of course, you can go see your new brother.  In fact, why don't we all go?  I would like to meet him too."

 

 

 

Gus got up quickly and jumped up and down.  "I've got a new baby brother.  Yeah!!"  He rushed up the stairs making Brian and Justin look at each other with eye brows raised.

 

 

 

"What's he doing and why did he go upstairs?" Brian asked Lindsay, hoping she would have some insight.

 

 

 

"I don't know."

 

 

 

"Gus.  What are you doing?" Brian yelled up the stairs.

 

 

 

 Gus came down the stairs a few minutes later and said, "I was putting on my big brother shirt.  You know, the one Justin and I bought at the mall.  Colin needs to meet me in my new shirt so he knows who I am."

 

 

 

The adults smiled indulgently but no one said a word, not bothering to correct him and point out that an hours old baby could not read. "I want to ride with Justin and Daddy."  It was said as a statement not a question and Brian agreed.

 

 

 

Lindsay frowned slightly at his request but was not going to argue with him.  All those feelings of dread that had been warring in her psyche for months were definitely coming to a head.  Was Brian to become the favored parent because he had a little brother for Gus to admire and eventually play with?  Would Brian push Gus aside to spend more time with Colin and Gus become the heart broken little boy that you saw on Lifetime movies?  Would Gus push to be with Brian and Justin instead of living with her and Mel?  She allowed her mind to wander and answer these questions silently while outwardly she allowed a small smile to cross her lips.  "Of course."

 

 

 

She couldn't help the polar pull of her feelings.  On the one hand she was thrilled that Brian was so active in Gus' life but on the other hand she questioned if that was wise given the pull of a new baby.  She got in her car and waved at Brian and Justin as she backed out of the driveway and made her way toward the hospital.

 

 

 

"Daddy, how big is he?  I mean my friend Tyler said that his little brother was so tiny, his foot fit in his hand. That's little and if Colin's that little, he can't play catch with me."  Gus buckled his seat belt and signaled to his father that he was strapped in.

 

 

 

Brian turned the car onto the highway and drove toward the hospital.  "Gus, Colin is very small but he will grow really fast.  Do you remember when JR was a baby?"  Justin asked him.

 

 

 

"Yeah.  All she did was cry and it was really annoying.  I know Colin won't do that.  I'll tickle him and tell him stories about school and give him candy.  It will be great."

 

 

 

Justin and Brian looked at each other and each man made a small grimace.  Obviously, neither man expected Gus to want to play with the baby immediately.  They should have expected his desire to play with Colin but neither of them thought Gus would think the baby could be his playmate immediately.  It made Gus' desire to live with them understandable.  He was expecting an instant playmate. 

 

 

 

"Gus," Brian said as he turned his blinker on to change lanes.  "Colin is very small.  I know that you want to play with him, but he can't play now.   New babies sleep most of the time.  As he gets older you'll be able to play with him more, but it will be a long time before you two can play catch."

 

 

 

Gus took out his Iron Man figure and pretended that he was flying in the air. "I will come to your rescue, Colin.  Save you from the evil world," Gus said as he listened to his father.  "Ok, Dad.  I'll be the best big brother ever.  I'll show him all about Iron Man and soccer and we'll draw together like me and Justin.  It will be great."

 

 

 

Justin put his hand on Brian's and squeezed gently, then whispered, "He'll figure it out.  We'll figure it out.  I'm going to call Debbie and you should probably call Michael.  He will be upset if he doesn't hear the news from you."  Justin wanted to say more, but he knew Brian knew exactly what he was alluding to. 

 

 

 

"I'll call Michael and you'll call Debbie when we get to the hospital.  I know Mother Taylor isn't going to spread the word."  Brian looked at Justin, thinking that his smile could not possibly light up the interior of the car any more.

 

 

 

"Maybe I should call them both.  After all, Linds is probably calling Mel as she drives to the hospital and we don't really want to hear how Linds knew before everyone else."  Justin frowned slightly at the elaborate machinations already in place before Colin was even a day old.  It seemed to him that everyone's feelings had to be taken into account or someone would get hurt.  He was already starting to resent the machinations of the "family" circle. 

 

 

 

"You know, this is already old.  I don't want to live our lives trying to figure out who to tell what to and have to keep tabs on who is told first.  Call whoever you want or no one at all.  I'm sure the gay grapevine will let everyone know that Colin is born."  Brian's voice rose a little at the end of his rant, but he didn't want to scare Gus and he was too happy from the arrival of Colin to care what everyone thought.

 

 

 

Justin made the phone calls, deciding to call Debbie first and then Michael, especially since Michael didn't seem to believe that Brian really wanted the baby.  Now that Colin was here, he wondered if Michael would accept Brian's commitment to their family.  Like Brian, he really didn't want to fight with Michael and he knew Brian would always choose him and Colin and Gus over Michael.  He hoped Michael would come around, but it was not his concern. 

 

 

 

"Debbie, I have big news.  Colin Aiden Taylor Kinney is here!"  Justin said as Debbie answered the phone. 

 

 

 

"Oh!!!!  That's wonderful hon.  I've been making casseroles for you boys for the last week or so.  I'll bring them over in a few days.  Wouldn't want you to worry about cooking when that new baby will have you up at all hours of the night and day."

 

 

 

"Debbie, you don't have to do that.  We have a cook."

 

 

 

"Nonsense.  I don't have to do anything, but the cook is just going to cook.  I'll come watch and feed the new baby while you and Brian go fuck."

 

 

 

Justin was thankful the phone was not on speaker.  He didn't want to explain that to Gus, although he had ideas that Gus already knew what that was.  Still it was embarrassing for her to talk like that.   Justin turned red as he was talking and Brian turned toward him just as the crimson tint colored his cheeks. 

 

 

 

"Debbie, I hate to cut this short, but I have a lot of calls to make.  Talk to you soon."  Justin pushed the button on his phone to disconnect the call and sighed heavily.

 

 

 

"Let me guess, she wants to come over and watch the baby while we go to Babylon and the back room?"  Brian asked as he signaled to change lanes to get off the highway.

 

 

 

"Something like that," Justin answered.

 

 

 

"Debbie never fails to live up to her one track mind."

 

 

 

"Dad, what do you mean?" Gus asked from the back seat.

 

 

 

"Debbie thinks that your dad and I spend all of our time in the bedroom and offered to watch Colin so we could be in the bedroom,"  Justin said quickly.

 

 

 

"That's silly.  You play with me and we watch cartoons and draw and we go to the diner and to the park.  You're only in the bedroom when we go to sleep."

 

 

 

"That's right, Sonny Boy.   Okay, we're at the hospital and we need to go over some rules."

 

 

 

"There's rules everywhere.  When I grow up I'm going to make a rule that there are no rules."

 

 

 

Both men laughed and Brian leaned down to hug Gus.

 

 

 

"We have to wear a special gown and cover our shoes if we're going to hold Colin.  He's doesn't have any protection against diseases right now so we have to be extra careful around him.  We will always wash our hands before we pick him up."

 

 

 

"Okay. Anything else.  I want to see him."

 

 

 

"We need to talk softly around him.  He isn't used to loud noises and everything will be new to him, so he may cry if he gets scared."

 

 

 

"I'll play quietly.  Is he always going to be scared of noise?  He won't be able to play at the park or go Planet Bounce.  I love Planet Bounce."

 

 

 

"Like we said, Gus, he won't be able to play right now, but soon you'll be able to play with him."  The three of them entered the elevator and Justin pushed the number 3 for the maternity ward.   Gus saw several women walking up and down the hall wearing hospital gowns.

 

 

 

"Dad, why are they walking around in their pajamas?  And all the pajamas are the same.  That's weird."

 

 

 

"All of these women are wearing hospital gowns.  They are getting ready to have their babies and walking helps the babies get ready to be born," Brian said.  He looked at Justin for an agreement of his explanation and was pleased to see Justin nodding his head in agreement.

 

 

 

"Where's Colin?  And where are the special gowns and stuff?"

 

 

 

They went to a special area where visitors to don the protective clothing and then walked to Cynthia's room where they hoped to find Colin.  Gus walked into the room and saw Cynthia in the bed.

 

 

 

"Hi. Miss Cynthia.  You're wearing one of those hospital gowns.  I guess it worked because Colin is here."

 

 

 

"Gus was asking why everyone was wearing their pajamas and they were all the same. We explained that the women were here to have their babies and the gowns were to keep the germs away."

 

 

 

Cynthia smiled at the three people.  "I'm still wearing the special gown because Colin needs to be kept from germs.  Do you want to see him?"

 

 

 

"Sure!!!"

 

 

 

"He's over there in the plastic bassinet. You can go look at him."  She pointed toward the bassinet and watched as Gus walked over to the baby, peering in, a little uncertain what he would see but very interested in the new arrival.

 

 

 

"Hi there, Colin.  I'm your big brother, Gus.  We're going to have such fun together.  I'm going to teach you everything I know.  I'm going to share my toys with you.  I'll get Daddy to buy you a set of your own Avengers though, they're my special toys.  We're going to climb trees, and fight crime and build legos and all kinds of stuff.  Dad says you have to get bigger, and I guess you're a little small to do that stuff now."  He reached into the bassinet and touched Colin's face, amazed at its softness.

 

 

 

"Can I hold him, Dad?  He's pretty tiny and he should fit right in my arms."

 

 

 

"Go sit in the chair, Gus and I'll bring him to you."

 

 

 

Gus dutifully sat in the chair and waited for Brian to pick up Colin and bring him to him.  Gus held out his hands and Brian placed the baby in them. 

 

 

 

"You need to hold his head up," Brian said as he positioned Gus' hand under Colin's neck.  "Great job, Gus."

 

 

 

"He's still asleep, Dad.  How long is it going to take before he wakes up?  Watching a sleeping baby is boring."

 

 

 

Everyone laughed, but Justin chose to answer him.  "Remember, Gus?  We said it would be a few months before he is awake long enough to play with.  But you can be a big help to me and your Dad by feeding him and talking to him and holding him.  He'll start to recognize your voice when you talk to him.  I bet you could read him stories now."

 

 

 

"That would be cool.  I like to read."

 

 

 

Lindsay came into the room and watched Gus hold Colin, proud that he was so careful with the baby.  She walked over to him and smiled down at the tiny bundle.

 

 

 

"Hi there, Colin.  You are so tiny.  I can't believe Gus was that small at one time."

 

 

 

"I was that little?  Wow!  I grew a lot."

 

 

 

Colin took that moment to wake up and let out a soft cry.  Gus looked at his little brother and said,  "What's up, Colin?  Why are you crying?"

 

 

 

"I bet he's hungry or he might need a diaper change," Justin said as he grabbed a bottle of formula and a diaper.

 

 

 

"Are you going to feed him, Justin?  Can I watch?"

 

 

 

"Well, first I'll check his diaper.  He might just be wet."

 

 

 

Justin went over the chair and gently picked up Colin from Gus' arms and took him over to the bassinet to lay him down.  He carefully checked the diaper with his finger and it was wet.  "Yep, he needs a new diaper."  He changed the diaper while Gus watched, trying to remember all the steps.  He picked up the baby and took him to the chair again and then picked up the bottle that he left on the table.  He brought the nipple to Colin's mouth and Colin opened his mouth to eat.  "Guess he's hungry too."  Gus watched Justin feed Colin too.

 

 

 

"I can help you feed Colin.  It doesn't look too hard."

 

 

 

"Of course, Gus.  You're going to be a big help to both me and your Dad."  Justin finished feeding Colin and raised the baby to burp him.

 

 

 

"What are you doing, Justin?"

 

 

 

"When babies eat, they take in air and you have to pat their backs to help them get the air out or it makes them uncomfortable."

 

 

 

"Oh. I guess there is a lot to learn about babies.  I'm sure you'll teach me."

 

 

 

"Gus, it's time to go.  You have soccer practice this afternoon and then you have to do your homework."

 

 

 

"Oh Mom," Gus said as he eyed his Dad watching Justin burp Colin.

 

 

 

"We'll pick you up Friday afternoon and you can spend the weekend with us.  Would you like that?"

 

 

 

"He's got a soccer game on Saturday morning.  I could come by and pick him up and take him.  I know you'll be busy with Colin," Lindsay said. 

 

 

 

"One of us will take him, Linds.  I told you nothing is going to change just because we have a new baby.  We'll do what other new parents do.  One of us will stay home with Colin and the other will take Gus," Brian said as he made a slight frown.

 

 

 

"Okay.  But Gus, we do have to go now."  She walked over to look at Colin one last time.  "He's beautiful, Brian and Justin."  She walked out with Gus and Gus disposed of his gown and shoes in a bin by the door.

 

 

 

"Well, four down, another dozen or so to go," Justin said as he put Colin back in the bassinet. 

 

 

 

"That went pretty well.  Lindsay was even civil," Cynthia said.  "I'm just the incubator and I don't intend to have any input into Colin's life, but I wasn't surprised at Lindsay's dig about you being unable to take Gus to the soccer game."

 

 

 

"Unfortunately I think you're right.  I think we'll just have to show them."  Justin yawned, the excitement of the day and the fatigue from their recent trip catching up to him.

 

 

 

"Looks like I have more than one boy who needs a nap," Brian said in a teasing tone. 

 

 

 

"I'm not a boy, but I could use a nap."  Justin walked over to Cynthia and leaned down to give her a kiss.  "Thank you so much for all you're given us.  He's beautiful."

 

 

 

Brian walked to the other side of the bed and gave Cynthia a kiss as well.  "Get some rest.  You may only be the incubator but as far as the hospital is concerned you are the mother of Colin and unfortunately that means the entire "family" will be in your room to see our child."

 

 

 

"Well, I can always kick them out.  For once, I get to be the one in charge."  Cynthia smiled at Brian, tongue in cheek.

 

 

 

"True.  Later.  Get some rest and we'll be back."

 

 

 

"Bye Justin. Bye Brian."  Cynthia closed her eyes to rest as the proud parents left for some much needed rest.

 

 

 

TBC