Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Just a few more chapters, dear readers. Thank you for your continued support and patience as I have spun this tale.

Justin and Brian got on the plane a few hours later.   Justin pulled out his phone and checked for text messages from his mom or Cynthia, but there were no new messages.

 

"Put away your phone or I'm going to take it from you. It isn't going to get us there any faster."  Brian said as he chided Justin for his constant review of his cell phone. 

 

Justin swiped the cell a third time in 30 seconds and looked at Brian, the moisture in his eyes almost forming tears. "I should have never let you talk me into this trip.  What if we miss the birth?  I'll never forgive myself."  Justin wrung his hands in anguish.

 

"We aren't going to miss the birth.  Cynthia assured us that it takes a long time for a baby to be born and she called us as soon as she knew she was in labor.  I texted her before we got on board, when you were in the bathroom, and she said the contractions were only coming every 30 minutes.  They have to be coming every 5 before she even goes to the hospital."

 

"What did you say?"  Justin looked at Brian, verifying that he had not been taken over by someone else.

 

"I said..."

 

"I mean I heard you, but when did you learn that information?  I mean you never picked up one of the books that I bought about pregnancy and you didn't go to the Lamaze classes.  I didn't.."

 

"I'm not stupid Justin.  I can read and the internet is the most amazing invention.  There are thousands of sites on babies."

 

Justin leaned over and kissed Brian on the cheek with a hard kiss.  "I love you."

 

"Of course.  Did you really think that I would sit in the waiting room for endless hours while you were in there with Cynthia and not knowing what was happening?  I asked Cynthia for information and she gave me the URL for the doctor's web site.  Seems the good doc has a very informative page on pregnancy and birth.  Guess he figures its less time answering basic questions from his patients and it gives everyone good information.  I had a few questions and asked Cynthia and she filled in the blanks."

 

"And here I thought you weren't interested all this time.  Brian ...."

 

"Twat.  Of course, I'm interested, just needed to keep my distance for everyone's benefit.   But really, you should put away the phone.   You are making yourself crazy and looking at text messages will just make the flight seem longer.  I could distract you with a visit to the mile high club."

 

Justin laughed. "Only you would think about sex at a time like this.  I don't think I could concentrate on making love.  I'm so excited.   I just want to get to the hospital as fast as I can."

 

"I'm sure I could help you get excited but since the flashing lights are already appearing on the overhead, we will be landing soon."

 

"Thank you.  You managed to distract me the whole flight.  I would have been a mess if you hadn't."

 

Brian just smiled and leaned over to give Justin a quick kiss on the cheek.  "Brian Kinney, at your service," he said tongue in cheek.

 

"Please return your tray to an upright position and fasten your seat belts.  We are approaching Pittsburgh International Airport.  It is sunny and mild with a temperature in the low 50's.  On behalf of myself and your flight crew, thank you for choosing Liberty Air for your flight and we hope you have a nice stay in Pittsburgh.  We hope you choose Liberty Air for your future travel needs."

 

"Oh my.  It's time, Brian.  We're going to be parents.  I've dreamed of this day for months and I can't believe its here."

 

"Yes, but first don't you think we should wait until Cynthia is actually ready to go to the hospital?"

 

Justin laughed and insured that his seat belt was fastened and his phone was off.  He never understood why he couldn't use his cell phone when he was on a plane, but electronics were not really his forte.   The plane taxied and the roar of the plane made Justin cover his ears.

 

"I hate that part of flying.  I always fear that the plane won't slow down and we'll have to take off again and try to land a second time."

 

"Twat.  Sometimes I wonder how you ever scored a 1500 on your SAT."

 

The plane stopped and they disembarked with their luggage.   When they got to the boarding area, they veered to the seats and Justin called Cynthia for an update.

 

"Hi Justin.  You guys are back already?"

 

"Yeah.  Are you at the hospital?  We can catch a cab."

 

"No.  I'm only having contraction every 20 minutes at this point.  Why don't you come to my condo?  It will be awhile before I'm ready to go to the hospital."

 

"Oh," Justin said, the disappointment evident in his voice.   "We'll be there in about 30 minutes."

 

Turning toward Brian, Justin said, "She's not ready for the hospital.  Contractions are only 20 minutes apart and she said to just come to her condo."

 

"Ok.  Do you want me to drop you off there and I'll take the luggage home and meet you wherever?"

 

"I forgot about the luggage.  Guess that's a good idea.  Good thing we left the car in long term parking."  Justin put away his phone, grabbed the handle on his luggage, and started walking to the long term parking exit.  Brian followed him.

 

"Told you we had plenty of time.  You should call Mother Taylor and give her an update."

 

"Shit!  I forgot about mom.  I need to let her know the plans.  I know she's as excited about the baby as we are."

 

Justin pulled out his phone again and called his mother.

 

"Mom.  We're here.  We just talked to Cynthia and her contractions are only 20 minutes apart so Brian's going to take me to her Condo and he'll go to the house to drop off the luggage and then meet me wherever -  you know condo or hospital."

 

"Oh Justin, I'm so excited.  Have you picked out a name yet?"

 

"I told you we weren't sure but you'll know when the baby is born.   Do you want to know when we go to the hospital?"

 

"Of course.   I'd go to Cynthia's right now, but I know that she isn't up for another person right now.  I remember being in labor with you.  I was ..."

 

"Stop, Mom.  I do not want a blow by blow description of my birth.  It's bad enough to think that I wasn't just found in a bassinet in the hospital, but I do not want to hear the specifics of labor surrounding my birth.  As Brian would say, I'm not a lesbian."  Justin cringed as he cautioned his mother.  Brian watched the conversation and laughed at his partner.   "I'll call you when we're ready to go to the hospital."

 

"Thank you sweetheart."

 

Justin turned toward Brian and said, "Are you going to call anybody;  Deb, Michael, ...?"  Justin did not really want anyone at the hospital besides Brian and his mom but he knew the birth of their child was a big event and he wanted to avoid any more conflict than was already evident in their little circle.

 

"I'll call them after the baby is born.  The website said it can take hours even after the mother is fully dilated.  I don't think I have the patience for Debbie telling me all about Michael's birth or what her version of appropriate conversation in a maternity waiting room would be.  I'd love for Gus to be here, but again, sitting with a 10 year old in a hospital waiting area is not the best of ideas.  He'd be bored in less than 30 minutes and while I think I would love his company, someone would have to bring him here and that would mean telling Mel and Linds.  This pregnancy is a sore spot with Linds and I don't want to deal with her at the moment.  No, I think I'll wait till the rugrat is born and then tell everyone the fait accompli."

 

"You really did read about the birth.  I'm proud of you!"

 

"Don't be.  Proud is an accomplishment.  I just read about what is going to occur via nature and Cynthia.   Proud is what we'll be on graduation day.  Now we're at the car, put our suitcases in the trunk and get you sweet bubble butt in the car.  We can stand here and talk all day, but that baby is coming and I know I'll never hear the end of it if you aren't there for the birth."

 

They arrived shortly afterward at Cynthia's and Brian parked the car and went inside to check on things.  Cynthia seemed pretty calm and was watching an episode of some rom com on Netflix.  

 

"Hi guys.  Justin I'm so glad you're here.  Well, Brian too, but ..."

 

"I know, you need your coach.  Everything okay here?"  Brian asked.  He looked at Cynthia sitting on the couch, paper in hand as she marked down her contractions with the length of each and the time between them.   She was efficient even in birth.

 

"Good, boss," she smiled.   "You sticking around?  I didn't think you wanted to watch the process."

 

"I'm dropping off our luggage and stuff from the trip but I'll be back.  Can't have either of you two driving to the hospital.  You in labor and Sunshine a jack in the box, unable to sit still for 30 seconds.   I should be back in 45 minutes.  Think junior can wait that long?"

 

"Sure.  It will be several hours before anything really happens.  Hurry up and wait is the catch phrase right now."

 

Brian leaned down and gave Justin a quick kiss on the cheek and leaned over to give Cynthia one as well.  "Later," he said glancing at the pair and then turning to leave.

 

Justin watched Brian leave and turned toward Cynthia.  "You okay?  Can I get you anything?  Do you need a massage?  How about a back rub?  Do you have your bag packed?  Where is the focal point?  We need your focal point."  Justin stood up and walked around the room looking for the telltale mommy bag they had packed during their Lamaze class.

 

"Justin," Cynthia said in a stern voice.  "Relax.  I'd tell you to go smoke a joint but then they might not let you in the birthing room.  Take a few deep breaths.  I'm the one giving birth."

 

"Sorry.  I'm just so excited.'

 

"I know, but..."  she started to say but stopped as a contraction washed over her body.  She took slow deep breaths to push through the pain and in a short time, smiled at Justin.   "As I was saying, I'm fine.  I have everything we need in the bag by the door.  At this time I really don't need the focal point or anything else.  I thought I would cook a casserole for my neighbor.  Her son just left to serve in the army and she is all alone."

 

"Should you be moving around?  Shouldn't you rest?  Birthing is hard work."

 

"Don't you remember anything from class?  Moving around and walking makes the labor move faster and I'm anxious to have this baby.  I don't regret offering to incubate but I feel like a beached whale and I'd really like to sleep through the night without waking up three or four times to pee."

 

"Okay.  I get it.  Is there a recipe for this casserole?  I can help with that."

 

"No recipe, but you can go down to the basement and grab the noodles and a can of mushroom soup.  My pantry is small and since I don't cook often I keep the stuff I don't use very often down there."

 

Justin and Cynthia worked on the casserole, chatting away about the baby and his upcoming show.  They would stop and time the contractions as they came and Justin would help as he'd been coached in class.  At the end of the short time it took to make the casserole and put in in the oven, Brian was pulling up to the curb of the condo again.  Justin opened the door for his partner and ushered him inside. 

 

"You're back."

 

"Your powers of observation are astounding.  Are you sure I did not pick up a clone of Justin when we were in New York.  The Justin I know and love is quite capable and usually not so skittish," Brian teased as sat on the couch and picked up the remote.

 

"Brian, we were watching that show.  Please turn it back,"  Justin urged. 

 

"You were watching Dancing With The Stars?"  Brian walked over to Justin, placing his hand on his forehead to see if he had a fever.

 

Justin swatted his hand away.  "I feel fine.  I happen to love the costumes and to watch the dance moves.  Now, go be a good partner and put Cynthia's bag in the car.  It's not time to leave yet, but when its time, we should be ready."

 

Brian put the bag in the car and returned to the condo.  Justin and Cynthia made several casseroles and cut up some chicken for chicken salad. 

 

"While Cynthia is not going to have to deal with midnight feedings, she will still need to recover from giving birth.  We're making some meals for her to eat when she gets home from the hospital.  I arranged for a company to deliver some healthy meals for a few weeks after she comes home, but we both agreed that it would be nice to have some of her favorite meals on hand too."

 

"Good thinking.  I knew I married a smart man."

 

Another contraction hit Cynthia and this one was stronger than before, making her stop in her tracks and breathe really hard through the pain."

 

Brian turned a little white as he watched Cynthia hold her abdomen and forget they were in the room.  "Is it time?  Do we need to go to the hospital?"

 

Justin looked at the sheet and shook his head, no.  "The contractions are only 10 minutes apart.  We won't go until they are 5 minutes apart or her water breaks."

 

"Water breaks?"

 

"The amniotic fluid sac that the baby is floating in will break before the baby is born.  If her water breaks, it's important for the baby to be born within 24 hours as there is a higher risk of infection.  Usually the water doesn't break early, but it can."

 

"You mean to tell me she might gush water all over the car.  I hope the detailer can clean that mess up."

 

"Briannnnnnn,"  Justin chastised his partner.  This is our child we're discussing, not some alien."

 

"I know, but the more I hear about the birthing process, the more I wonder how the earth ever became populated."

 

Justin didn't answer but helped Cynthia prepare the rest of the food containers for the upcoming weeks.

 

"I think I'd like to take a walk, Justin.  Remember the instructor said that was a good way to move labor along.  Mr. Impatient here is welcome to join us.  I'm sure he won't be enjoying any bedroom exercise tonight and might feel the need to let off some excess energy."

 

Justin laughed at Cynthia's jab to her boss and his husband.  She really did know him very well.   She was right; there wouldn't be any sex until after the baby was born.  Brian Kinney was quite capable of abstaining from sex but he didn't usually like it.  Justin often times thought if Brian could get away with having him no more than a few rooms away at all times, Brian would be ecstatic as he could have his own personal sex slave.

 

The three of them set out to walk down the end of her block and back; this way never straying too far away from their car.  They walked for over 45 minutes and during that time Cynthia had 5 contractions.  After the last one, Justin declared it was finally time to go to the hospital.  He texted his mom they were leaving and she quickly texted back  that she was on her way.

 

They arrived at the hospital and checked in quickly.  Part of the Lamaze class was geared toward hospital admittance procedures so they knew exactly where they needed to go and had completed preregistration and insurance verification.  Cynthia was ushered into a room and changed into a hospital gown. 

 

"I guess they don't want you to ruin your clothes, but seriously there could be a little more modestly to them, " Justin commented as he returned to the room after allowing her to change in private.

 

"Justin, having a baby is messy and the last thing I'm going to be concerned about is covering up.  Don't worry about it.  I'm not."  Another contraction hit and she breathed through the pain. 

 

The nurse came in to check her and reported that she was 6 centimeters and asked if she wanted an epidural.  They had discussed this and Justin and Brian had left that decision up to her.  It was her body and she was the one giving birth.  She hadn't decided and thought she would determine her answer when she was in labor.  "Yes," she answered and Justin nodded his head.

 

The epidural was given and Cynthia continued in labor for several hours, albeit much more in control with little pain.  Justin went out to the waiting room every half hour to report on her progress. 

 

Brian sat in the plastic chairs in the waiting room after Justin left for the third time.  Jennifer watched her son in law, deciding to try and distract him.

 

"Brian, how was New York?"

 

It took a few seconds for Brian to realize Jennifer was talking to him.  "We had a great time.  I even bought Justin to buy some new clothes for his next show.  I'll get him a decent wardrobe yet."  He smiled as he pictured Justin in the new clothes.

 

"What else did you do while you were there?"

 

"Believe it or not, we ate at this little diner.  Every time we go to New York, we hit this diner that is located by the Ritz.  The food isn't fancy but we like going there.  Reminds both of us of the Liberty Diner minus Debbie.  While there are so many fine dining establishments in New York, sometimes you want low key and average.  Justin taught me to appreciate the little things in life.  He's like that."   A faraway look entered Brian's eyes but then he quickly returned to the present.  " But, I think you already know that about your son.   I love him, but you already know that too."

 

"I do.  I'm so excited about the baby.  You will be great parents.  I think Justin's read every single childbirth book that exists and at least a dozen parenting books.  I hope he realizes that every child is different and loving your child is probably the biggest hurdle at first."

 

"I know he's worried about me too.  I want this child but I know that the "family" isn't convinced about our sincerity.  Mikey still thinks Justin tricked me into having this baby and Lindsay, well let's just say her idea of the happy nuclear family keeps moving farther out of reach as Justin and I move through life."  Brian pinched the bridge of his nose, trying to stay the headache that almost always tried to rear its ugly head when he talked about the "family".

 

Justin rushed out of the maternity ward, the biggest smile on his face Brian had ever seen.   "He's here.   Colin Aiden Kinney Taylor has arrived.  He's beautiful.  Come on, you've got to see him."  He tugged Brian by his hand practically running through the doors again.  Jennifer put her hand to her mouth and sighed loudly.  

 

"It's a boy."  She sat down in the seats in the waiting area and texted Tucker and Molly.  She couldn't wait to see the new baby and hold him but she would wait for his parents to meet him and then the grandparenting would begin.

 

 

 

TBC