Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

I burrowed a few lines from the show because I couldn't imagine a better way to word the proposal. It was perfect the way Cowlip wrote it. :)

 

 

Brian's POV

Hours later, after another round of lovemaking, this time in the candle light glow, I followed the architect through the house. I had his sketchpad in my hands and each page described a room. The living room was the first one described; besides the walls and floors, we'd managed to agree on making it as scarce as possible of furniture. A sofa and a coffee table would suffice. Of course, I had to cave when he begged to place a vase in the corner of the room to give it an extra special something.

The kitchen was next, but I allowed him to scribble whatever he wanted. Truthfully, the kitchen wasn't my area so whatever he wanted, he'd get.

For the foyer, we decided on a coat hanger and a small, round table with a bowl on it. For the keys, Justin said. For the condoms, I said. We'd see who'd win that argument.

Behind the stairs was an open room which Justin immediately said would be the solarium. He wanted the wall facing the pool outside to disappear and become a glass wall, so we'd be able to come into this room after a dip in the pool. He was a thoughtful little twat.

On the wall leading upstairs, Justin wanted family photos. I'd rather hang myself, but again, we'd hopefully find a compromise.

The first door I opened on the upper floor made Justin's eyes lit up.

"This is it, Brian! Peanut's room! I can see it!" He rushed into the middle of the room, closing his eyes. "The walls would be blue with clouds and animals painted on them. The baby cot will be on that wall, next to the changing table. The closet on this wall, nice and big. Maybe a dresser so we can display all the toys on top of it." His eyes popped open, focusing on me. "I want a rocking chair. Oh, and we need to find one of these plush carpets. There are these extra soft ones… Are you listening to me?"

I pressed the notepad to my face, trying not to burst out laughing. He could get overly excited.

The notepad disappeared from my hands and he whacked me on the head with it. "I'm serious here, and you're laughing like an idiot."

"Hey, no hitting the pregnant guy."

Silence fell between us. It was the first time I'd said the magic word.

Oddly enough, it turned Justin on, so much we ended up on the floor in the middle of Peanut's room. I'd never be able to think of this room as innocent and pristine.

Next on our tour was a room at right the end of the hallway. It faced the backyard and it was big enough to be used as Justin's studio.

"Can I have this room?" He asked, almost shyly.

"The whole house is yours, Sunshine," I teased.

"I meant—"

"I know what you meant. I was thinking the same thing." I smiled, wrapping my arms around his waist. "This should be your studio. Which means, this is the only place in the house you're allowed to be messy."

"Did you somehow miss the memo that a baby is on the way, Brian? Babies are messy."

"Fuck. This is all your fault."

"Don't blame me. You were a willing participant." He pecked my cheek.

"How are you going to paint this room?"

"I'm going one day at a time. Every time I paint something, trust me, some will get on the walls."

I cringed. "Remind me to never step in here before I take my heart pills."

"You don't take heart pills," he reminded me gently, pulling me out of the room.

"I might as well start."

"I think you need anti OCD pills. You can't always get things your way."

The room across his studio was just as big, facing the driveway.

"Entertainment room," we said at the same time.

"I want a projector to watch my movies projected on the wall," I declared.

"Which one? I'm not joking. We might need to paint that wall white."

"The narrow one there."

"Hmm… Maybe we don't need to use some specific color in here. I can see some curved lines around the room. What do you think of that? There will be the TV set on that wall and next to it the case holding the DVDs and video tapes."

"I want a surrounding audio system."

"Well, this is your room so how about you find someone who actually knows what he's doing? We don't want to mess with your technology," Justin suggested.

"Good point. I'll have to ask Emmett if he knows anyone."

"Okay, next. Our room." Justin beamed, leading me by the hand on the opposite end of the hallway.

There were two more doors. One faced the backyard and the other, the driveway.

"It may sound silly, but I want to see when you get home," he whispered.

"Me too. That one can be the guest bedroom."

"Right across from our room?" He gasped. "Do you want to have guests…ones that actually return?"

"It's that or Peanut."

"Guestroom, it is."

Laughing, we stepped into what would be our room.

"Big bed in the middle!" Justin opened his arms wide. "With these curtains around and satin sheets. Fuck. Can you feel it?"

"I can see the idea is turning you on." I cupped him through his boxer briefs. "Mhmm. Keep telling me about this room."

"Green. No, yellow. No." He chewed on his bottom lip, then his eye lit up as he turned into my arms. "Purple!"

"Now, you're joking."

"What? Purple's cool."

"Not purple. I was thinking two colors. Maybe something beige…but what does it work with beige?" I frowned.

"Purple." He laughed. "I was joking. That's a good idea. A combination of two colors." He nodded, looking around the bare room. "What color do you want the sheets?"

"Black."

"Dark blue, it is."

"Fuck you, Sunshine."

"Hold that thought. I know! Dark blue with beige. Oh my God! Can you imagine?"

"No." It was hard to keep up with the artist.

"Bed. It has to be of wood, or maybe metal?" He caught my eye, deep in thought. "No, massive wood. A lighter brown to match the walls. The room is big enough to have a huge closet for all your clothes on that wall. Bathroom!" He dropped my hand, rushing to the door leading to the bathroom.

"Do you need to go?" I stared after him, confused.

"This will work in dark blue shades, too. Oh, it's big enough to have a tub and a shower cabin! Brian?"

I leaned against the doorjamb, watching him, entertained. I couldn't place the last time I'd seen him this excited about anything.

"I'm trying to keep up with the Duracell Bunny."

He poked his tongue out at me. "Do you think we can move the shower from the loft here?"

"We can order a better one. I had my eyes on a new model for months now."

"Awesome! I love your shower. The bathtub." He sat in the far corner of the bathroom. "I want it with claws."

"Sure, Sunshine. Anything you want."

"Attic!" He rushed past me.

"I'll be downstairs, I hear a phone ringing," I called after him, hoping he heard me.

I also needed a break from Mr. Duracell. It served me right for getting stuck with a twink for the rest of my life.

By the time I reached the blanket and found the phones, it had stopped ringing. It was mine, the guilty one.

Michael had been calling, but only now I heard. Then the phone vibrated with a message.

Okay, so you're either an ass and refuse to answer me or you're fucking Boy Wonder. Listen, Ben and I invite you over for dinner this Saturday. Want to come?

"Justin, want to do our Stepford husbands duties this weekend?" I hollered over my shoulder, only to choke on my spit when I saw him in the doorway. "Shit! Scare me to death, why don't you?"

"Sorry. You weren't behind me and I hate talking to myself."

"You do?"

"Shut up. What were you saying?"

"Dinner at Mikey and Ben's this Saturday. A nice, ol' reunion of Stepford husbands."

Justin rolled his eyes. "They're Stepford husbands, we're not."

"We can be," I blurted out.

"Do you have a fever, or something?"

Way to ruin my moment of glory.

I walked closer to him, taking his hand. "How about we get married?"

His blue eyes widened. "Sorry. I thought you said…"

"I did." Come on, work with me, Sunshine. I'm a nervous wreck.

"What about…the fact that you don't believe in commitment and you won't get involved in any kind of heterosexual union that's doomed to fail by its very nature?"

"As strongly as I was opposed to the idea, now that I'm behind it, I am as fervently and passionately committed."

"And what changed your mind? Besides Peanut."

"It has nothing to do with this situation. I finally thought of one good reason to do it."

Justin cocked his head to the side. "And what is that one good reason?"

"To prove to the person that I love, how much I love him. That I would give him anything, that I would do anything, be anything, to make him happy." My voice shook, but at least I got everything I wanted to say out.

I feared my declaration of love had come too late. I was afraid my reluctance to be committed had been implemented too hard into Justin's head, and he was the one against marriage now.

But then he tackled me to the ground, kissing all over my face. "Ask me again."

Demanding brat. "Want to get married?"

"YES!" He took my face in his hands, kissing me deeply. "I love you so much!"

"Wait. Wait." I pushed away, searching in my discarded pants for the box. "Here."

"Oh, my God! You got us rings!" He opened the box, sitting cross-legged in front of me. "Matching rings." He smirked.

"Almost. There's one engraved for you." I took the box from his hand, picking one of them to see which had the words written inside the band. "This." I took his left hand, slipping the ring on his finger.

Not surprisingly, he burst in tears. With shaky hands, he put the other ring on me, then kissed me again.

"Can I see what you wrote?"

"Sure. It's lame." I shrugged.

Taking his ring off, he gasped at the words My Sunshine engraved in cursive handwriting. "It's perfect. Can you imagine their faces?"

"Let's surprise them. I took liberties, having an inkling you'd say yes, and ordered wedding invitations. They're at the loft, in my nightstand."

"Oh, my God! They'll keel over. If you being pregnant didn't kill them, this surely will."

"Less people to attend. Less money spent."

"Shit, Brian." Justin gasped. "I told Lindsay we'd visit this afternoon. Fuck. I completely forgot."

"Do they know?" I knew we kept forgetting to tell someone important.

"They don't," we said in unison.

I pecked his mouth. "It was nice meeting you, Sunshine. They're going to kill me."

"I'll protect you."

"I thought it was the other way round. Rage saves JT."

"Sometimes, Rage needs saving too." He stroked my cheek. "Now, get dressed. We're late."

"What time did you say we'd be there?"

"Around six. It's five. With the traffic at this hour, we'd be lucky to get there by seven."

"Fashionably late is my style."

"Not mine. Remember, I'm a WASP?"

"How could I forget?" I mumbled as I stepped into my too tight pants.

Chapter End Notes:

Next chapter Lindsay and Melanie find out. =)