Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Everything is fine in our dear Kinney-Taylor family, I promise. Justin is warming up to the idea, still blaming himself, but he's supportive.

Brian's POV

From: Brian Kinney

To: Justin Taylor

Date: April 01, 2011 10:29

Subject: Family meeting ?

Are you absolutely sure about the family meeting this Saturday? I can't wait to see their faces, but I'm not mentally prepared for that moment.

Do you have time to get Munchkin from school? Or shall I rip 30 mins of my busy schedule to pick him up?

Let me know about tomorrow, so I can start calling around. Or maybe I'll send them a mass-email. Better that way.

Brian Kinney

CEO Kinnetik Inc.


From: Justin Taylor

To: Brian Kinney

Date: April 01, 2011 10:31

Subject: RE: Family meeting ?

Sure. Email them.

I'm with Daph. It's my duty as her BFF to be there when she needs a shoulder to cry on. I'm still seriously thinking of kicking her ex's ass! What a jerk.

Yeah, pick Munchkin up too. I'm not sure how long I'll stay with Daphne.

Love,

JT


I picked up the landline phone, dialing Cynthia's line. She answered promptly.

"Remind me around one thirty to go after Munchkin. Justin's busy."

"Sure, Brian. You okay?"

"Yeah, why?" I kept the receiver between my ear and shoulder, rectifying a few things on a storyboard for a new vegan restaurant.

"Your handwriting is in my agenda. It says April 10 dash line Dr. Hump. Why's that?"

"When did you start being so nosy? Fuck. Send someone from the Art Department here."

"Brian, don't dodge my question."

"I wasn't aware you asked anything." We lapsed in silence, before I sighed loudly. "Yes. But don't go shouting to the world."

"Again?"

That was the question everyone said.

"Yeah. Again. Joy. Now, send me the idiot who fucked up the storyboard for the vegan restaurant." I hung up before she could start gushing.

On our visit with Dr. Hump, yesterday, he confirmed I was a little over three months along. Dr. Hump said fourteen weeks. Justin was still battling his demons, but I could see he was happy.

During dinner with our neighbors, we told them the news. Leo had the genius idea that Keith and I should wear matching outfits. I'd rather hang myself than do that.

After my meeting with Izzie (they sent a girl, thinking I wouldn't scream at her), I was ready to head to school. Traffic could be a bitch around lunch time.

But not before sending that email to our friends and family.


From: Brian Kinney

To: Lindsay Peterson, Michael Novotny, Theodore Schmidt, Emmett Honeycutt, Jennifer Taylor, Cynthia Morrison, Keith Rogers

Cc: Justin Taylor

Date: April 01, 2011 13:15

Subject: Family meeting Saturday – April 02

We'd like to invite you to brunch on Saturday (tomorrow).

The invitation extends to all the members in your family (I'm too lazy to write all the fucking email addresses)

Mikey, you better bring your mother too.

For any other questions, contact the person at Cc. =)

Brian Kinney

CEO Kinnetik Inc.


I arrived at Munchkin's school right on time. He was surprised to see me there instead of Justin, but even more excited.

"Daddy!" He jumped into my arms.

"Hey, Sonny Boy." I kissed his nose. "Happy to see me?"

He nodded rapidly, grinning and wrapping his little arms around my neck.

"Where's your backpack?" Seriously, this kid was killing me with forgetting his backpack.

"Oh…"

"You forgot it." I rolled my eyes, heading to class.

He was so excited to leave, that he usually left stuff behind. Thankfully, his teacher was careful and caught up with Justin or me, returning the forgotten objects.

Evan Beal was a great guy. I admired him and all the other teachers for putting up with the kids' tantrums every day.

He was coming our way with Munchkin's special backpack. It was Justin's crazy idea to make him a custom-made Rage school bag. It would have been lame to have a Spiderman bag, of course.

"Hello, Brian!" Evan greeted me, handing me the backpack.

"Hi. Thanks." I slung it over my shoulder. "I'm going to glue it to his hand."

"Don't worry. He's not the only one to forget things. Just the other day, Lillian forgot her shoes. Don't ask."

I laughed, imaging how entertaining it must be to watch the little kids. I knew from experience Munchkin could do or say the funniest shit in the world, without meaning it obviously.

Rearranging Patrick in my arms, I decided to do my duty as a parent and ask about how my child was doing in classes.

"Come see Patrick's painting. I'm impressed he actually did something aside from what kids usually paint."

"Did you miss the memo on what Justin does for a living?" I joked, following Evan back to the classroom.

There were a few paintings pinned to a board. Without being told, I knew which one was Patrick's.

"Can you guess?" Evan chuckled.

"It's not difficult. I've seen that a thousand times at home, lately." I gestured to the paper representing a small boy on a stool, looking down in what seemed to be a crib, hosting a little bundle of pink.

Patrick showed me his biggest smile, a perfect replica of Justin's megawatt smile. Then he turned to Evan. "Daddy is giving me a baby sista!"

"Oh, you plan on adopting again? It's a good idea to do it now, while Patrick's so young. My brother is ten years older. Talk about awkward."

I didn't correct him on the adoption part. "Justin's sister is ten years younger than him," I said, shrugging. "Anyway. This wasn't really planned," I said vaguely. "We have to go. I need to be back at the office by two thirty."

oOo

Saturday I woke up with Munchkin on top of me, exactly the way we had fallen asleep. Justin stayed at Daphne's, promising to bring her over later today.

I slipped out of the bed, without disturbing my little guy. After a quick shower, I let the dog out in the backyard and tried my hand at pancakes. They didn't turn out half bad. By the time Munchkin appeared in the kitchen doorway, with his hair sticking in every direction and yawning so big I joked he'd swallow me whole, I was done with our breakfast.

Sleepily, he climbed on a chair, pouring chocolate syrup over a few pancakes, before taking one with his hands. He loved eating like a savage.

"Try using the fork," I advised, placing a glass of milk next to his plate.

He ignored me, grabbing the glass with his sticky fingers, and gulping from it.

I sat next to him, helping myself with some pancakes. Thankfully this time around I hadn't experienced the joys of morning sickness, only a general shitty feeling. It was gone now, though.

Dr. Hump started his torment with the scale once again. He wasn't pleased I weighed a wonderful 165 pounds. I was determined to not gain forty plus pounds like the last time.

But then I thought of all the usually forbidden food, suddenly allowed because I had someone to blame for eating junk.

The doorbell pulled me from my musing. I opened the front door to reveal our dear, crazy neighbors. They had their arms full of boxes.

"What's this fuckery?"

"Good morning, Grouchy!" Leo kissed my cheek, fluttering in past me and heading to the kitchen.

"We got your email. Leo called Justin to ask if he needed help with preparations. I take it Justin's friend is not well, or something. Anyway, Leo took it as his personal goal to make your brunch delicious. He cooked until late last night."

"Shit." Now I felt horrible. "You shouldn't have," I called after Leo, helping Keith with one of the packages. "Hey, you." I tugged playfully at Kira's ponytail.

"Don't mess with my hair!"

"She takes after Leo, and you better listen to her," Keith told me with a smile.

When Patrick saw his play buddy, he forgot about being sleepy or hungry. I was quick to block his way to Kira in time. We didn't want anyone sporting chocolate hand printed clothes.

Placing the food on the table, I picked my dirty kid, excusing myself. "We'll be right back. Keep your hands outstretched in front of you and try not to touch anything."

"It's just chocolate, Daddy."

"When's the last time you tried to wash chocolate stains off clothes?" He looked down. "That's what I thought."

We returned ten minutes later, clean and shiny as new.

While the kids ran off to play, we worked on placing the finger food on plates before putting them on the table. There was a stack with paper plates for everyone to help themselves. Keith gave up trying to help us, when he had to run to the downstairs bathroom at the smell of the salad with fish Leo had made.

"More for me," I joked. "This is actually awesome. You need to tell Justin how you made it." I pushed another forkful in my mouth.

"Leave some for the guests," he chided me.

People started arriving around ten. I guessed they had no idea what the fuck brunch meant. I should have said in brackets—eleven.

Emmett rushed to me. "Save me! Drewsy has practice and I had to carpool with these two freaks!" He pointed to Ted and Blake.

"What did they do to you?" I cooed, patting his cheek. I had to be on his good side. In no time, I'd need his personal shopper skills again.

"They listened to these opera things. That lady crying louder and louder. My ears are bleeding."

"Aww. Poor baby."

"He's a drama queen," Ted commented, joining us on the porch. "If he doesn't understand classical music, it's not my fault."

"Auntie Em!" Patrick came zooming from upstairs, stopping only when he collided head-first with Emmett's leg after stumbling and sliding on the tile.

It was hilarious how he referred to Emmett as his aunt. When we were in public and he did that, people turned to stare.

"What's wrong with you today?" I crouched to check if he hurt himself. "Can you act your age for two seconds? First the chocolate, now this. And what did we say about running on the stairs?"

"Jeez, Brian. He's five. He's acting his age." Emmett picked Munchkin up, kissing his cheeks. "Don't listen to your dad."

"Can you kindly stay out of the way I bring my kid up?" I hissed.

Blake handed me a present bag they brought. It was still crazy how he and Ted had found their way to each other after everything.

I looked in the bag, because it was nice and polite to see what gift people brought you. When I saw the bottle of whiskey, I realized I wasn't allowed that for too many months. And cue motherfucking tears. I didn't miss this part. Actually, I didn't miss any part of the pregnancy. I was blissfully happy without any hormonal reaction.

I got bewildered looks from the newly arrived, but they soon forgot to ask about my stupid reaction when Kira came running down the stairs too. She wanted her play buddy back; but she got two. Emmett disappeared up the stairs with the kids.

I wiped my eyes, ignoring my outburst, as I led Ted and Blake to the kitchen. Leo pushed me out, demanding I had to sit down.

I found Keith in the entertainment room, looking through our new movies. Justin found a good deal and bought many movies, mostly animated. I had no idea who was more enthusiastic about these—Justin or Patrick.

Next to arrive were Mikey and Ben. Despite Michael's initial reticence to Patrick, he took his role as the godfather very seriously. They were a force of nature together, especially when they poured over comic books. He turned my kid into a geek.

Patrick had a Michael radar. It was him who burst into the room, scaring the shit out of me, to announce his uncle had arrived.

"Uncle Mikey is here! Uncle Mikey is here! Uncle Mikey is here!"

I stared at him bouncing on the balls of his feet. When I wasn't quick enough to get up off the sofa, he zoomed out.

"Patrick!" I caught Keith's eye, shaking my head. "He's going to kill me, I swear."

We met with Emmett and Kira at the top of the stairs, as they were on their way down. I went ahead. It didn't take a genius to see Debbie had spilled our secret. Mikey had listened to me and brought his mother too. I was starting to regret my decision.

Ben was holding a huge teddy bear for Patrick, and Mikey had a bag of colored sprinkled donuts. I wasn't sure whether to cry or kiss him. I opted for the second, before pulling one donut out and biting into it.

"So that's not dirty?" Patrick demanded.

"Shut up, Munchkin."

He huffed, tugging the enormous plush toy to the living room.

"Sure, clean the floors with it," I muttered.

"It's too big for him," Ben said calmly.

"He could ask for help." I glowered after my kid.

Debbie snorted. "A mixture between you and Sunshine asking for help? On what planet?"

I scowled at her, leading everyone to the living room. I pulled Munchkin and his new toy to an overstuffed armchair, sinking into it.

"So what's the occasion?" Ted inquired. "You don't invite us over, unless you have some big news."

"Where's Justin? I heard you were fighting." Emmett eyed me worried.

"He'll be here soon. He's with Daphne. Why don't we wait until everyone is here? I'd rather not say it twice."

"Are you okay? You're not…sick, or something?" Emmett and his stupid questions.

"No. Have a little patience."

They didn't have to wait for too long. Cynthia was next to arrive, already suspicious knowing about my appointment with Dr. Hump. Then Justin pulled in the garage with Daphne, his mom and her boyfriend, Tuck, and Molly in the car. Right behind them was Lindsay's car.

Once everyone was seated wherever they could, Justin and I gave them the big news. We also told them this time around I'd have Keith to suffer along.

Chapter End Notes:

So everyone knows now. Everything is going to be okay. ;)