Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

 

Brian's POV

On Friday, I got an unscheduled visit from EyeConic Optics at noon. Sheila came bursting into my office with Cynthia behind her, looking green.

Fuck. Exactly what I needed.

Somehow, I knew the last ad I'd made for her wouldn't be a success, but for her to storm in here looking like a dragon…I hadn't imagined that.

Lately, all my meetings were perfectly scheduled and I always made sure I looked presentable when I met people.

At the moment, I was slouched in my chair, my open jacket doing nothing to mask what Munchkin had done to me.

I sat up as fast as I could, buttoning down my jacket.

"Sheila, I wasn't expecting you."

"Cut the crap, Brian." She placed a sheet of paper in front of me. "This is all I sold in the past two months!"

There were only ten listed items.

Fuck.

I looked pleadingly at Cynthia.

"Ms. Radcliffe, would you care for a cup of tea?" Cynthia offered politely.

The only answer she got was a nasty look, soon turned to me. "Explain this, Brian!" She tapped a long, red nail to the factsheet.

It was supposed to work. But then, exactly one day before I launched the ad, Ray Bans came with their stupid flashy campaign.

"We can change some things and re-launch it by August. That's the hottest month of the year. People will need sunglasses."

Of course, it was the wrong thing to say to the angry lioness. I was surprised she didn't go for the jugular.

"This is no time for jokes! You cost me more than I care to admit! Either you solve this problem immediately or I'm gone!"

And when she was gone, she'd make sure I didn't get anyone within a three hundred mile radius.

"We'll rectify all the mistakes and make it better than the competition. I had no idea Ray Bans would come up with that!" Fucking fuckers hiring an actress. Then I got an idea. "I know!"

Sheila glared daggers my way.

"We'll find an actor—one people love. He'll be our model."

She cocked her head to the side, a small smile appearing on her face. I sighed in relief. "That's not a bad idea. Who do you have in mind?"

Well, fuck. I knew there was no time for jokes, so I kept them to myself. "Let me call around a few friends and I'll let you know."

"You have one hour."

Just as fast as she'd stormed into my office, she stormed out.

"I'm fucked," I told Cynthia, falling in my chair. "Royally and utterly fucked."

"Where are you going to find an actor? I'm sure she'd want a famous one…like Brad Pitt."

"Let me give him a call. Or maybe, my good buddy, Matt Damon," I muttered, pressing my hands to my face. "Shit! Justin." We had to go after our new friends at the airport.

"Justin, who?" She frowned.

"Who do you think?" I asked slowly, realizing Justin knew actors. He'd been to fucking Hollywood recently.

I grabbed my phone, dialing his number. "I'll let you know what we do in a few minu— Hey, Sunshine!" I greeted him when he picked up, raising a finger to Cynthia.

She disappeared out the door, leaving me to talk in peace.

"What's up? Are you almost ready?"

"There's a problem. Bring the 'vette to Kinnetik, then you can take the Jeep. I just got a wonderful visit from Sheila from EyeConics, remember her? Anyway, the ad isn't working. Which brings me to my idea for a new campaign where you are going to help me."

"I am? Whoa. Slow down."

"I can't fucking slow down. I have less than an hour to present her with my newest and brightest idea. I need an actor. Did you make any friends in Hollywood?"

"Did I… Brian!"

"Justin, work with me, come on. I'm freaking out here. If I lose her, I lose half of everything I have built!"

"Okay. Let me call Brett. I'll give him your number. See you in ten…so we can switch cars. Are you sure you still fit in the 'vette?"

"I'll pretend I didn't hear that. Bye, twat."

"Stop kicking me," I rubbed my side of the stomach. "I'm going crazy."

"Brian, I just heard!" Ted rushed into my office, gasping out of breath.

"Yeah. I'm seriously thinking of the yoga Justin suggested."

"Why don't you let us deal with this? It involves too much stress for you."

"Theodore, this is one of my best accounts, I'm not letting you deal with it!"

"You did… not so long ago."

"Well, my mistake. Look how that turned out." I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"So it's my fault?" He snapped. "Well, you should be thanking me for keeping your best accounts while you were…"

"I was, what?" I shouted, standing and glaring at him. "I was having surgery! I was fighting for my life!"

"I…I didn't mean…"

"Fuck off, before I throw you out."

Ted took a step closer. "Really, Brian. I didn't mean it. We're all wound up about this."

"No shit?"

Instead of taking the hint that I wasn't in the mood to chit-chat, he kept droning on and on about EyeConics and how we'd keep them. He just knew it.

I was seconds away from strangling him, when Justin came through the door, keys dangling off his finger.

"Who died? Why so solemn?" He asked, coming to me and kissing my forehead.

"Theodore is going to die soon," I hissed.

He finally took the hint and left.

"What was that all about? Did Brett call you?" Justin leaned against my desk.

"No. I don't think so." I snatched my phone off the desk. Nope. No missed calls.

"He said he'd call as soon as he has someone."

"Give me his number. I don't have an eternity. Right now, I have less than half an hour to find an actor. Me and my fucking genius ideas."

Justin dialed Brett's number from my phone, handing it to me. "He can put you in touch with the best of them. He's on first name basis with Collin Farrell."

While I listened to the ringing tone, I smirked. "He is? That's not half a bad idea, Sunshine."

"Hello? Brett Keller, here."

"Brian Kinney," I said. "Justin's—"

"Yes, I know who you are. I was just about to call. I managed to talk to a few guys. They're curious what you need them to do."

"Ad campaign for sunglasses…and glasses. The company is EyeConics."

"Oh, shit. That narrows my list to one. The others are in contract with other companies for various other products."

"Who?" I fingered the loop of Justin's jeans, nervous as hell. I hoped he wasn't giving me a troll.

"Well, I'm not sure but you might know him," he said teasingly. "Ever heard of Matt Damon?"

My hand fell limply on my lap. "Tell me you're not joking!"

"Why would I joke? He'd like to do an ad campaign. Stay on the line, will you? EyeConics, you said?"

"Yes," I confirmed. My mouth went dry as I stared up at Justin. He lifted an eyebrow. I grinned, bringing him closer, between my legs, holding him between my thighs. "He's talking to Matt now."

"Matt?"

"Damon." I beamed. "Christ. If this actually works, I promise to forgive this Brett idiot for almost stealing you to fancy Hollywood."

"I heard the last part," Brett said in my ear, making me jump. "When do you want him? I assume you want Matt there."

"I do, yes. Here." I sounded like an idiot. I never sounded like that. "Could you give me an email of confirmation? Maybe something in writing from Mr. Damon? I need to show Sheila something concrete."

"Of course. The email is the one of the website?"

"Yes. Thank you, Brett."

"Good. I'll send Matt as soon as I have the go from you."

After hanging up, I sagged in my chair. "This is an episode of Twilight Zone. A very long one," I said seriously.

Justin leaned over, kissing me deeply. "You're fabulous. I knew you could do it."

"No thanks to you. Again."

"Now, I have to go greet our friends. Don't forget. Come to Britin, not the loft."

"Right. Thanks for reminding me."

We switched car keys, then after another long, heated kiss, he was gone.

I grabbed the landline phone, pressing Cynthia's number. "Put Sheila over. I have great news."

"You did it!"

"Told you I'd contact my good friend Matt."

She squealed. "You actually…"

"Yes. Now, I need to speak to Sheila before my hour is up."

Thankfully, Sheila didn't return to Kinnetik and took my word for the contract with Matt. I promised her we'd work on it first thing on Monday.

After replying to Brett and telling him to have Matt in glorious Pittsburgh by Monday, I wrapped up for the day.

By the time I left the office, it was nearing 2 pm.

I fit just fine in the car, no thanks to Justin's outstanding confidence I was so big I wouldn't fit in the Corvette. And he pretended to love me. Hmph.

To my surprise, we pulled up at the same time in front of Britin.

"Traffic is a bitch," he explained.

The backdoor of the Jeep opened and a flurry of bright colors jumped out at me, making me stagger back in the 'vette.

"It's so good to finally meet!" Leo cried out, kissing my cheeks.

Thank God, I had practice on how to deal with queens like him after spending years around Emmett.

"Hi, Leo." I patted his back, extracting myself from his hug.

"My, my! You're so big! You sure there's only one?"

"Don't scare him!" Justin chided Leo, coming to my rescue, wrapping his arms around me.

Then Keith slid out of the car with his daughter in his arms. "Hi, Brian." He shook my hand, smiling. "I'd hug you, but someone fell asleep during the ride."

"Oh, it's all right." I waved him off. "Come on in."

"Uh, we have a little problem. Our neighbor couldn't keep Puffy over." A chill ran down my spine when Leo spoke of their poodle. "So we brought her with us."

"If there's a problem, we won't mind finding a hotel," Keith added quietly.

"Ah, it's just a dog." I shrugged. What damage could it do in a few days?

"I'm sorry about this."

"Don't worry," I told Keith, leading him to the house while Justin and Leo grabbed the bags and Puffy.

"This is a really nice place," Keith commented, trailing after me, looking around.

"Wait until you see the backyard. We have stables, a pool, tennis court, and many acres of…nothing." I laughed. "Guest bedroom is upstairs, to the left, then last door on the right. I'd walk with you, but I'd rather not make the trip upstairs unless necessary."

"I get you. Been there, done that. I'll be right back."

"Oh, try the first door you see right after you get upstairs. There's a set of baby monitors," I called after him.

"That's a great idea. Thank you."

I went to the living room, slumping on the couch. Our much awaited meeting wasn't awkward at all, like Justin had feared. I'd told him it wouldn't be, not after talking to Leo and Keith for weeks and becoming friends.

Friends.

In that moment I realized we hadn't told any of our friends about them. How…that was beyond me. The subject never came up.

Oh, fuck it.

It wasn't like they'd need us this very weekend, right?

Wrong, of course.

Chapter End Notes:

Can anyone imagine what's going to happen? I'm sure you can.