Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

 

Brian's POV

I woke up to a loud thud, followed by a stream of curses.

"Sunshine?" I called, worried.

"Fuck. I'm fine. Go back to sleep." He didn't sound fine at all.

"What's up?" I sat up, crawling out of the bed. It made me feel better to get out this way, rather than rolling around like a human barrel.

I found him dressed in my leather pants and a white sleeveless shirt. He stared at me panicked, and I realized he wanted to go without me.

But then my eyes landed on the red splotches on his t-shirt.

As I approached, I saw his finger wrapped in a cloth.

"Don't. I'm fine. I swear. The knife slipped. I wanted to make you a snack."

I couldn't tear my eyes off his white shirt splotched in blood. His blood. It brought back horrible memories.

"Brian!" Justin rushed to me, taking me to the stool. I leaned against it, feeling faint. "Can you stand here for a second? Don't fall!" I might have nodded, but I wasn't sure, because he disappeared.

When he returned, he was shirtless, the cloth was gone, replaced by a small band aid, and there was a glass of water in his hand.

"Here. Drink this. I'm sorry."

There's nothing to be sorry about. I couldn't find my voice to chide him.

"Let's lie down, okay? You're scaring me. Are you going in shock? Fuck. Brian, say something." He stroked my hair.

I hadn't seen him hurt since that night, not bleeding, anyway.

I couldn't associate Justin and blood with anything other than potential disaster.

He kept talking to me soothingly, but I couldn't focus on his words. Everything became blurry, and I had to barf.

My first voluntary movement was pushing him away and running (as best as I could) to the bathroom, where I knelt in front of the toilet.

Of course, Justin was right there, stroking my back and offering me water.

"It's a scratch, really," he whispered. "Here." He took my hand putting it over his wrist. "I'm alive, Brian. I'm okay. Please, pull out of this."

Feeling his rapidly beating pulse under my fingers, relaxed me immensely. I crushed him to my chest, sobbing into his neck.

"We really need to talk about this. Some other time, but we must. I had no idea how affected you were," he said in a voice filled with surprise.

"You nearly died on me."

"Yeah, well. You didn't show that you actually cared…much. I mean, you never visited me in the hospital. And when I saw you after I'd been released, you looked freaked out to see the dead had reawakened."

"I was there." I gulped thickly, kissing his neck. "Every night."

"At Woody's? Getting shit-faced? I know. Michael told me."

"At the hospital. I stood outside your door for hours, staring at you thrashing around in that bed, fighting nightmares, and hating myself a little more each time you grimaced in pain. If I hadn't come to surprise you…nothing would have happened."

"You came?" Justin pulled away, gawking at me. "You were there? Why didn't you come in?"

"I didn't know if you'd want me. You were usually asleep when I visited. The nurse on call put me up to date with your health, but I never had the courage to come in."

"Brian…"

"I know, I'm a coward."

"For how long did you love me?"

His question threw me, because I wasn't ready to admit to myself how much I'd let him affect me back then.

After the second time I caved and took him back home, I knew he was going to become an important part of my life.

"Brian?"

"I don't know. Okay? I have no idea. It was a slow process. You kept showing up, and I kept falling deeper and deeper." I took his hand, playing with the edge of his band aid. "Then you stood up to your dad, proud of who you were and not afraid to tell him you'd choose out of the closet instead of trapped, at home. You were seventeen back then and had more courage than I had at twenty-eight."

"Twenty-nine," he teased, bringing out hands to his lips and kissing my fingers.

"The point is, my parents didn't know I was gay…and yours did. You were always so mature."

"Enough for both of us."

"But I think I've done my fair share of growing up ever since you appeared into my life."

He nodded, grinning. "You've grown up, but you must stop or you'll pass my emotional level, and then I won't have any more friends my age." He pouted adorably.

"You're still a twat." I pecked his cheek. "Help me up. My ass is freezing."

"And you're still a drama queen."

After I brushed my teeth, I found Justin finishing the snack he'd been working on when I had my meltdown.

"Are we okay?" He asked fearfully, pushing the plate to me.

"We are," I confirmed. "Eat." I put some cheese in his mouth. "Then we're going together to Babylon. I don't want to hear you objecting."

He huffed. "You found me in a weak moment. It's so not fair. I can't deny you anything right now. Not after seeing you comatose."

I beamed at him. "It's something to remember."

"Don't you ever scare me like that again, Kinney!"

"Same goes for you," I murmured, pressing my lips to his, kissing him slowly.

"Sure."

I held my pinkie up. "Swear on the memory of Marilyn Monroe."

Justin gave me a dubious look, before hooking his pinkie with me. "I swear on the memory of Marilyn Monroe. God, I'm stuck with a freak for the rest of my life."

"But you looove me." I growled in his ear, before biting his lobe.

"I thought we established we were at the same maturity level, don't drop to Gus's level, please."

I gasped in mock-hurt. He pinched my cheek. "Eat your snack, then get dressed."

"What are you doing?" I frowned as he disappeared in my closet.

"I need a new shirt, don't I?"

"Oh, right. You look hot in my leather pants."

"Thanks!"

When I was done eating, I took my new purchase to the bathroom along with a sleeveless black shirt.

It took me a while to get into the overall, but I managed on my own. I wanted Justin to have the full impact when he saw me for the first time.

"What's taking you so long? I'm leaving without you!" He called through the door.

I fastened the straps, before I opened the door, leaning my elbow on the jamb, grinning.

"How do I look?"

Justin was balancing precariously on one foot as he put his other shoe on. His jaw dropped as he took me in—head to toe and toe to head.

"You look fucking hot."

I smirked, strutting out to the bed where I put my shoes on.

"Where did you find that? Can we stay? I want to peel this thing off you."

"Emmett helped me."

On the way to the car and on the ride to Babylon, Justin kept eye-fucking me. It made me remember we were out of condoms. We had to steal from the bowl in the backroom.

It was after eleven when we stepped into the club. My drama queen moment had taken over an hour of our lives, but at least we'd talked about something I was sure we never would. I still couldn't believe I'd admitted to him about being at the hospital.

Justin wrapped an arm around my waist, pushing our way to the bar where I could see our friends.

Of course, the first to spot us was Michael. He immediately started one of his speeches about me being there in my condition. I tuned him out, waving Chuck, the bartender, over.

"The usual, Mr. Kinney?"

My mouth watered at the ghost of memory of Jim's taste. "A bottle of water. And I want the list of everyone participating in the show and to meet them before they start."

He nodded. "Travis has that much desired vacation?"

"Yeah," I muttered.

"Beer!" Justin told him, snuggling into my side, grinning.

"You traitor."

Chuck gave Justin his beer, before handing me the list along with a bottle of water. I nodded to him. "Later, boys!"

"What are we doing first?" Justin asked from my left.

"You can stay with them or dance… Oh, do visit the backroom and steal some condoms. Please." I kissed his forehead. "I have things to do."

"What? Wait." He stopped me. "Steal condoms? Things to do? I thought we came here together. What are you playing at?"

"I need to talk to these people!" I shook the list in front of his face. "Before they start their acts. Which is soon."

"B-but…"

"Justin, go. I'll be fine on my own." I leaned to whisper in his ear. "I'm pregnant, not helpless. You don't need to be my babysitter."

I left him in the middle of the dance floor, knowing he was angry with me, but I had shit to do.

Tracking every leather daddy and master and whatever they called themselves, took over half an hour. I ran over the finer aspects of their play as fast as possible, because their show was about to start.

Having that under control, I returned to the bar. Justin was nowhere to be seen, which worried me.

I leaned next to Ben, wishing I could sit on the stool without losing balance. "Have you seen Justin?"

Michael shot me a dirty look. "What we feared happened. I say you dump him."

"Not that again." I groaned.

"He's gone to the backroom!"

"Good."

"Good?" He echoed.

Just then Sunshine appeared with a huge smile on his face. He showed me his hands—full of condoms.

I tugged him closer, kissing him deeply. "Love you."

"What don't I do for you? I swear, one bear nearly killed me for taking all the condoms. But fuck him."

"What do you mean all the condoms?" I looked at his hands. There weren't so many.

"Pat my pockets. I stuffed as many as I could fit everywhere."

Ben burst out laughing. "You run out of condoms and instead of buying some like a normal person, you steal them?"

I pulled a string of rubbers from Justin's pocket. "Technically, these are mine, too."

"Nice outfit, Brian!" Emmett winked at me over Michael's glowering head.

I winked at him, stuffing the condoms in the pocket on my flap. "Let's dance, stud." I pulled Justin to the dance floor.

"You sure?"

"Positive."

Justin draped his arms around my neck, pressing against me, his face buried in my neck. I kept my hands loosely around him, resting on his butt.

"This sucks," I said after a while. Every time the beat grew and I tried some extravagant move, Munchkin reminded me he wasn't a fan of dancing.

"We can go home."

"I need to be here. Two more shows to go." I pointed to the make-shift scene.

"You're tired, Brian. I don't want you to end up in the hospital again."

"One more," I compromised.

"None more, or we won't use any of the condoms I risked my neck to snatch."

"Okay, you convinced me. Let's say good night to the boys."

I led the way back to the bar, holding Justin's hand so we wouldn't get separated.

Only Michael and Ben were still there, but ready to go as well judging by the way Michael was showing Ben the door.

"Hey, guys. Leaving?" I asked. "Us, too." I caught Justin's eye and grinned.

"Yeah. It's getting late," Ben answered.

We started to the door, only for one of the security men to stop me. "Brian, thank God you're here!"

I glanced toward the door…so close, yet so far. "What is it?" I demanded, hoping to get over with whatever he wanted fast then leave.

"There's an incident in the backroom. Some wannabe macho daddy or whatever caught an unsuspecting tweaked twink."

I wasn't ready for problems. Justin was right. I was tired, and my back was starting to ache.

"You guys can go," I told Ben and Michael. "Come on, let's see what happened then get the hell out of here." Still holding Justin's hand, I followed the security guy.

It turned out the tweaked twink thought he wanted to experience something new and dangerous; when it happened, he freaked. To be done faster, Justin went to the twink, while I talked to the daddy.

Sadly, it was a bad idea, because it didn't take him long to realize who I was, and started hitting on me. Any other time, I'd have been happy and even game, but not that night.

I pried his hands off my overall's straps, pushing him away. He didn't seem to get the message, even daring to say he didn't care I got rounder.

Fuck him.

Fuck this.

"Look, just go, find someone else. I'm here with my boyfriend." It was the first time I'd actually acknowledged Justin as my boyfriend in Babylon, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

The idiot didn't seem to care. He put a hand on the side of my stomach, insisting he didn't care I was fat. When Justin appeared like a human bullet, zooming past me and pushing the guy into the wall, glaring daggers. "Hands off, you fucker! The fuck don't you get from he's not interested?"

"Justin," I tried talking sense into him, though him protecting me was so fucking hot.

The guy who was bigger and burlier than Justin, only had to shove him away for Justin to fall on his ass, cursing loudly.

That made me see red. "Listen here, you asshole. Get the fuck out of my club! You're banned from it. Fred!" I called to the security guy who'd remained outside the backroom for some odd reason.

"Oh, come on. What happened to you, Kinney? You used to be around here a lot." He advanced to me, making all my hair stand up.

I'd fought many times in my life, but weirdly enough, at the moment, I felt like a helpless kitten, an angry one, but scared shitless. I kept my arms around Munchkin, backing into the opposite wall.

Before Justin or Fred could reach me, the creep had cornered me again. This time when he touched me, Munchkin kicked him so hard I was sure we were going to see one little hand or foot outside my stomach. If that didn't bruise up, I'd be surprised.

Thankfully, Fred, along with Rick, one of the other security, seized the brute, hauling him out. I knew he'd felt it. I knew he'd figure it out, and by tomorrow morning the whole Liberty Avenue would know. But I didn't give a fuck.

"Christ. Are you okay? Brian, tell me you're okay." Justin took me in his arms.

"I had enough excitement to last me a lifetime. Can we go home?"

Chapter End Notes:

I want you all to know that Brian tried his bets to keep this a secret...and it will stay a secret. No one besides his friends and some of his employees know. This guy won't say anything. When I wrote this story, I imagined that people were clueless and stayed like that. Let them think whatever they wanted, Brian isn't going to confirm nor deny any rumors.

This being said, I hope you're not mad at me for making him actually come to the club. We all know how Brian is.