Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Justin's POV

"Are you sure you want to change the roses to orchids?" Emmett asked for the fifth time in the past hour.

"Yes!" I almost shouted, throwing him a glare over my shoulder.

"Now, don't become an agitated bride. I hate that kind," he reminded me soothingly, waving a finger around in a circle, in true Emmett-style.

"I'm calm. Oh, this is bullshit!" I squeezed the phone in my hand. No one I called was picking up.

Emmett came to me, pried the device from my hand and wrapped his arms around me. "Now, tell your best wedding planner what's the matter. Is that future husband of yours being an ass…more than usual?"

I cracked a smile, relaxing in his hug. "Brian's perfect—as long as he doesn't wake up in the middle of night deciding to change stuff we carefully planned for months now. Then there's Daphne too. Why did I ever agree to that insanity?"

"Justin, you're just stressed. When's the last time you relaxed?"

"What's that mean? I forgot the concept of relaxation when I agreed to marry Brian the day he decided to pop the question in front of everyone at the diner, three months ago."

I still couldn't believe he'd actually asked me officially in public where everyone would know he was definitely off market.

I was waiting for Brian at the diner to have lunch when I decided to help Debbie clean around since it was rush hour and her new employee wasn't there. She tried protesting, but I took the tray from her hands, going to clear tables. I'd done this for years, I knew what I had to do.

Not long after I was back in my element, with Debbie smiling gratefully at me, the gang entered the diner. Michael was amused when he noticed who was taking their order.

"I'm helping your mom since her employee is late," I explained. "Now, what will you have?" I tapped the pen to my notepad.

They rattled off the usual stuff and after I placed their order to the cook, then I turned to ask Debbie if she needed anything else. But at that moment Brian stepped into the diner. His eyes zeroed to our friends' table, and he frowned when he didn't see me there.

Laughing, I walked over as he shuffled in their direction, visibly upset I wasn't there.

"And what will you have, Mr. Kinney?" I grinned at him.

He looked at me surprised, and I couldn't help but laugh.

"I'm helping Debbie."

"Well, you can help her another time, there's something I want to tell you," he said confidently. Grabbing me by the loops of my jeans, he tugged me closer. "I've made a decision."

"You're going straight!" Emmett gasped, clutching at his heart theatrically.

"Shut up, Honeycutt!" Brian threw him a dirty look before focusing on me.

"What decision?" I asked, searching his eyes. I couldn't read him, and it kind of scared me.

He cleared his throat, glanced around, and no thanks to Emmett's obnoxious exclamation, everyone was looking at us, then he took my left hand, holding it tightly.

"Will you marry me, Justin?"

My jaw unhinged and I stared at him in shock. He didn't just propose in front of the whole diner. Our friends and family knew we were going to marry, of course, but now the whole gay community would know.

It was Brian's way to say he was taken—forever.

Brian squeezed my hand, narrowing his eyes at me.

Oh shit. I didn't answer.

"Yes!" I laughed, throwing my arms around his neck.

He hugged me tightly. "You got me worried there for a second."

"No way! Brian Kinney, worried?" I teased, kissing his cheek soundly.

"It happens on occasions." He returned my kiss, before sitting down next to Michael, and pulling me on his lap. I guessed helping Debbie could wait.

Emmett pulled me out of my daydream as he led me to the couch. I had to admit, he was very professional when it came to working on the wedding. I knew he was great, but the last time I hadn't realized what the fuss about having Emmett Honeycutt as a wedding planner was. He was simply amazing.

After leaving me on the couch, he disappeared back into the kitchen, only to reappear ten minutes later with two cocktails.

"Now." He sat next to me, offering me a glass. "What about Daphne?"

"You know what." I gave him a pointed look.

Daphne was another unbelievable thing that happened to me in the past few months. I'd forgotten how hectic life in Pittsburgh could get. In New York, it was as if I lived in a shell, protecting myself from the best things in life.

Not long after making our engagement public and official, Brian and I, somehow—still not sure how—got talking about babies. The odd and funny part was he brought up the subject…out of nowhere.

Of course, when I reluctantly admitted I'd like to have a baby with him, he immediately said I'd be the father. He already had Gus, and he doubted any doctor would accept his sperm after his history with cancer.

Sometime after that conversation, I found myself in the hospital being tested and checked to see if I could be a father. When we got the green light, we had one tiny problem left—a woman to carry the baby. With Melanie and Lindsay in Canada, and both too old to conceive without risks, we lost hope. The excitement had died down fast.

I was ready to forget about our lost dream when one night, a while ago, I got a call from Daphne telling me to pick her up from the airport. It was one in the morning and I was tired. Initially, I thought it was a joke, but then I realized she was actually back.

Brian and I quickly got dressed and drove to the airport to pick up a distressed Daphne. She was done with New York and idiots who promised stuff only to break their promises. It turned out her boyfriend was still a jerk, like I remembered him from high school, and hadn't shown his true face until after I left.

The first morning she stayed with us, I found her and Brian in the kitchen discussing something seriously. He mentioned our desire to have a baby to her. To my surprise, Daphne offered, saying she'd do anything for me, and having my baby would make her feel important and forget about New York.

A few weeks later, she rushed into Michael's store where we were brainstorming for Rage, to let me know she was pregnant.

It was then when the nightmare began. She was sick every day and seemed to have forgotten all about being happy to have my baby. Her parents, who had always loved me, tried to talk sense into her, saying I was using her and I'd toss her to the curb the second I had what I wanted. That was the last time she'd seen them, about a month ago. At the moment, Daphne was living with us, but I could tell she wasn't happy about the arrangements.

On top of this, Brian was constantly busy with work and when he got home, I tried talking to him during dinner, but that was short lived. After eating, we simply crashed from a long day.

Exactly what he'd feared was happening—routine, busy lives, no time for fun, monotony. I hated thinking Brian was right when he knew why he kept himself away from all these things from the beginning. At least, I knew he was mine and I had him next to me every night.

Emmett had listened patiently to everything I said, nodding in understanding. He patted my hand when I was done.

"You need a few days away from this madness."

"That's settled. I have to attend an event in San Francisco this weekend. My friend from New York has a show there."

"Is Brian going with you?"

"I hope so," I mumbled, sipping from my cocktail.

"He should. You both need to get away from this routine."

"I'll talk to him tonight."

"Allow me. I love involving the groom in the wedding planning. And relaxing the bride is part of my job." Emmett winked.

"Why does everyone see me as the wife?" I scowled at him. "I'm going to be Brian's husband! His partner."

"Don't fool yourself, sweetie. Look at Michael. He accepted his role."

"Can we move on? We need to discuss the flower arrangements, then I have to get a hold of Daphne to see if she's staying with her friend or needs a lift back here—"

"You're doing it again. Stop stressing over the wedding." He pursed his lips. "You're not doing anything for the wedding until after you return from San Francisco. Let me handle it. As for Daphne, forget about her. I'll talk to her." He pulled me up. "Go, take a relaxing bath. I'll prepare a romantic dinner for you and Brian then leave you two lovebirds. You both need to loosen up."

I was about to freak all over again.

Forget about Daphne?

Forget about the wedding?

Take a bath? Huh, I couldn't remember the last time I soaked. If Emmett's plan worked, I might get laid by the end of the night. Even sex had been part of the routine lately, which scared me the most.

Brian had always been right, and I'd been too young and in love to understand how right he was.

When I finished my bath, I wrapped a bathrobe around me and went downstairs to check on Emmett.

He was gone, but there was a note on the counter.

Sunshine,

Daphne's staying at her friend's for the rest of the week.

Enjoy the food!

Relax.

Have fun in S. F.!

Keep Brian on his toes, you're doing an amazing job!

Love, Emmett xoxo

P.S. There are strawberries in the refrigerator

I chuckled, leaving the note there. I was on my way upstairs to change when the front door opened to show me a disheveled Brian.

"What's wrong?" His appearance made me think of the worst.

"You," he whispered, coming closer and pressing his forehead to mine. "You're okay."

"I am."

He breathed a sigh of relief. "You scared me when you didn't answer the phone. I was in a meeting earlier when you called, and my phone was in my office charging."

"Oh, that explains it. Well, I took a bath and didn't hear the phone," I answered sheepishly.

"I can see." He smirked deviously, loosening my string tie.

"No. No. No." I slapped his hands playfully. He pouted adorably. I leaned up to kiss him. "Food first."

"You cooked?"

"Emmett offered to make us dinner."

"He's a decent cook."

I grabbed him by his striped tie and led him to the kitchen.

I doubt either of us tasted the paella dish. We inhaled it, eager to continue where we left off in the hallway.

Brian found Emmett's note and grinned. "He left the strawberries he brought for tasting. Why didn't you tell me?"

"You want?" I asked innocently.

"Do you have to ask?"

I dropped a kiss on his cheek on the way to the fridge. The plates crashing to the floor made me turn surprised, in time to see Brian clearing the table. He tapped the wooden top. "Hop on."

Stepping carefully around the mess he'd made, and trying not to get upset over broken plates, I climbed on the table. He untied my bathrobe, took a strawberry and trailed it over my chest, circling my nipples before going lower. It stopped at my navel, where it dipped in making me squirm. Brian leaned over me and bit from the fruit, coating my stomach in strawberry juice, then proceeded to slowly lick it up.

The teasing and the long wait for this moment were too much for my tormented body.

"Please, Brian. I need you." I threaded my fingers through his hair.

"Let me have some fun first." He nipped at my stomach.

I sat up on my elbows, awkwardly pushing his jacket off his shoulders then unbuttoning his shirt. "How about you fuck me against the table, or on the table whichever you prefer. Then you can take your sweet time."

"Scoot over," he commanded. After locating the bottle of lube I had strategically put in a kitchen drawer for times like this, he placed my knees on either side of his shoulders pouring generous amounts of lube over my crack. I gasped at the cold sensation, but his fingers warmed it up fast as they stretched me.

I helped by ripping the condom foil open and handing it to him. "I'm ready." If he kept teasing me I'd finish before he even began.

Brian unzipped his pants, pulled his dick out, rolled the condom over it and pushed into me, his hands bracing on the back of my thighs.

I groaned loudly. I missed having him inside me, filling me so completely. His eyes stayed locked with mine as he moved slowly, smiling. My fingers grasped at his back and he seemed to understand I needed more, because his rhythm changed.

Pulling almost all the way out, he thrust back fast only to repeat the motion again and again and again. My head fell back on the other side of the table as I shouted in ecstasy. This was what I needed—a good fucking, the way only Brian knew how to deliver.

The table moved a few inches as he kept his maddening pace, but I didn't care.

All too soon for my liking, the tell-tale signs of my impeding release started to show. My balls tightened, my stomach muscles clenched, my toes curled, my fingers dug into Brian's back no doubt leaving marks, but that was the last thing on my mind, especially when he changed the angle a little, nailing my prostate. My back arched as I exploded over our chests…without even being touched.

Brian stopped momentarily, sweat falling from his hair on my chest as he eyed my twitching cock kind of surprised, then his eyes rolled back and his hips jerked erratically a few times until he came, collapsing on top of me.

He nuzzled against my ear, breathing hard against it. "Love you."

I stroked his sweaty hair, smiling widely. "Why can't we do this every day?"

"We don't want routine. Next time we could fuck in the hallway," he suggested, nipping at my ear.

"Or you could show me your sweet side and make love to me in front of the fireplace."

"As long as you lock the dog away. The last time we did that he decided to rim me."

He shuddered at the horrifying experience, but I burst out laughing. He'd looked positively terrified and I hadn't been supportive at all, rolling on the floor laughing like crazy.

"Well, there's bad sex too," I said lightly.

"That's true, Sunshine, but the dog interrupting wasn't bad sex. It was plain and simple cockblocking."

I chuckled, kissing his cheek. "Alright. I'll lock Cupcake away before we test the rug in the living room again. Now, take me to bed."

"You greedy little shit."

OoO

The event in San Francisco was one of the best gallery shows I'd ever seen. Brian didn't admire the paintings as much as me, but even he could appreciate the artist's talent.

I'd made some great friends through the years in New York, and they always invited me to their shows, just like I invited them to mine. Simon wasn't the exception. He was my best friend, though we hadn't talked much in the past few months. He'd been busy preparing for this show.

"Do you want to go to the after party, too?" I asked, distracting Brian from ogling the waiter who was mingling, offering champagne.

He grinned at me. "Sure. I want to experience this."

"It's not very exciting. They're usually held at a rich guy's house, there's chamber music, drinks and boring talk."

"Sounds fascinating." Brian winked, taking my hand. "We can go back to the hotel if you don't want to go."

I could tell he wanted to go, and I reminded myself he wasn't used to this. I used to attend at least five parties like this per month when I was in New York. "It's okay. I forgot it's your first time in such environment."

"I've been to your opening in New York, and the one Linz organized for you all those years ago."

"Oh, right. But this is different. This is a posh event. I didn't have an after party. Never."

"Too bad. I'll take notes and throw you a fabulous party after your next opening." He leaned closer, kissing me softly.

I still marveled at how much he'd changed. "That will probably be after the wedding. I'm still not sure what I'm going to paint. I need a new theme."

Brian faced me, tapping his lips with a long finger. "How about…love?" He said the last word so softly, but holding so much meaning it made my heart stutter. "I promise to inspire you every day." His lips pressed against mine, his tongue sneaking into my mouth.

It made me dizzy. Only Brian could make me lose my head in a room full of people. "Let's not steal Simon's moment of glory." I laughed nervously, pulling away.

He realized people were staring, and shrugged. "Let's hit that after party. If it sucks, we can find a bathroom."

"Always the romantic." I wrapped my arms around his waist, walking outside the gallery.

"I'm not sure if they want to turn the party into an orgy, because if that's the case, I'd take you in front of everyone."

"Don't," I begged, trying not to burst out laughing. "You'll ruin my reputation of a good boy."

One hour into the boring party, I'd talked to all the right people, congratulated Simon on his work and was ready to politely excuse ourselves. Brian brought fresh drinks, kissing my cheek as he handed me the glass.

I couldn't get used to this sweet and romantic side of him. It was still the Brian I knew and loved, but more open about his feelings which made him adorable in such moments. Of course, I'd never tell him that, he'd probably bite my head off.

Simon clinked his glass, getting everyone's attention.

Damn. He was right next to us and it would be impossible to leave. Heaving a sigh, I leaned against Brian's chest. He kept an arm around my shoulders, his chin resting on top of my head. It gave me a feeling of contentment.

Simon started a speech about thanking everyone for attending his show and joining him at the party, before he started praising his boyfriend. We had yet to meet his boyfriend he spoke so highly of; he was the surprise.

I tuned Simon out, waiting for our escape, imagining the glorious night we were going to spend at the hotel. Brian had promised to put the DO NOT DISTURB sign to good use.

My daydreaming was interrupted by a name Simon said excitedly.

"Without further ado, let me introduce you to my boyfriend, the amazingly talented violinist—Ethan Gold!"

I felt more than heard Brian's quick intake of breath, then his hand clamped on my bicep. I was too tense to feel any pain.

I'd never thought our paths would ever cross.

When my ex-lover stepped into the room, stopping in the circle that had formed, his eyes found his boyfriend and he smiled. He hadn't changed at all—the same curly black hair, same dark eyes, skinny and with that air of importance and arrogance he always had. Sometimes I wondered what the hell I saw in him.

As Ethan raised his fiddle to his shoulder, our eyes met for a fraction of second. He looked alarmed, his mouth dropping before he quickly schooled his features, closing his eyes and starting to play. I recognized the song from the time we were together. He used to play it a lot.

"Air," I breathed to Simon who nodded absentmindedly, his focus on his boyfriend.

Linking my hand with Brian's, I pulled him outside on the patio, sliding down the brick wall.

I wasn't sure what I was feeling, but I was probably in shock. It was the only explanation of why my hands wouldn't stop shaking.

Raising my eyes I found Brian staring at me with a frown and a cigarette dangling from his lips.

"We talked about quitting smoking," I said automatically. "It won't be good for the baby."

"Justin." He crouched in front of me, placing a hand on my knee. "Are you okay?"

I looked down, sighing. "I don't know."

"We can leave." He glanced inside through the glass ceiling-to-floor walls. Ethan was still playing.

"No. It will make me a coward. I guess if he seeks me out…I'll talk to him."

"You don't have to. The asshole hurt you." He was getting upset and I didn't want to ruin our night.

"He did promise me a lot, but he chose his career over our relationship, over his true nature. The part that made me leave was the cheating. Though, I understood him completely the day I left you…why he decided to hide who he was and take whatever was thrown at him…it was his only choice to make a name of himself."

"Do not compare yourself to him! Your reasons were different, and I might have had a say in all that." He squeezed my knee.

"Maybe our break was good. We both grew up." I reached for his hand. He stroked my palm, smiling.

"It's been the worst years of my life…living without you," Brian admitted.

A throat clearing from above us announced us Ethan was done playing and he'd sought me out.

"Am I interrupting?"

Yes, I thought. "Hi," I chose to say.

"We were discussing you, actually," Brian told him, flipping my hand over to show him my ring. I liked this possessive side of him.

"I'm sorry, Justin. Hiding wasn't the best idea." Ethan rested his shoulders against the wall, a few feet away from us.

"Hiding is never a good idea," I admitted. "It blows up in your face, eventually."

"That's what happened to me. A couple years back I was invited to play with London Orchestra Symphony. I met a cute guy who played cello. He showed me around during my stay—mostly pubs. One night we both got plastered and I forgot I was the youngest newest oversees sensation and papz were on my ass day and night. Short story, we gave the locals quite the show in the pub, in the street and in the hotel's lobby. Needless to say, the news hit the media and the next morning I was contactless."

I really felt bad for him.

"You got what you deserved," Brian said acidly.

"Hey." I squeezed his hand. Before I could add anything, some sympathetic words to Ethan, my phone rang.

Daphne.

Every time I saw her name flashing on the small screen, my heart jumped in my throat, making me think the worst.

"It's Daph," I whispered to Brian, walking a few feet away. During my conversation with her, I kept my eyes on Brian and Ethan, hoping Brian wouldn't do anything stupid. It turned out Daphne only wanted to check on us, because she was bored.

She was housesitting and also taking care of the pets. Cupcake was still crazy, but the money we spent in training him started showing it wasn't in vain.

I rejoined them, standing next to Brian who was smoking another cigarette.

"Daphne okay?" he asked casually.

"Yeah, just bored."

"Good. Shouldn't she be asleep?"

"She's a night bird." I caught Ethan staring at us, confused. "Remember my friend Daphne? She's pregnant, and Brian worries too much. He'll have gray hair soon." I stroked his hair adoringly.

"Don't joke!" He said horrified. "Besides, you should be worried too. It's your child she's carrying."

"I trust her to take care of my baby. Like you trusted Lindsay."

"You're having a child?" Ethan's question was lost to Simon stumbling out of the house, slightly intoxicated.

"There you are!" He wrapped himself around Ethan. "Oh, so you met Justin. He's very talented, too. I'm sorry I missed your opening a few months ago. We'll be there for the next one. I miss New York."

"Uh, I moved back to Pittsburgh," I explained.

"Oh."

"Yeah. After the wedding I'll focus on the next show."

Too late, I realized what I'd said. That brought even more questions.

Eventually, Brian managed to keep the situation under control. A little while later, we said our goodbyes, promising to send them an invitation to the wedding.

Chapter End Notes:

If I don't always answer your reviews, just know that I read all of them. Life can get in between me and answering. I'll do my best. ;)