Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Daphne fell to her bed with a thump releasing a creak from the old metal bedframe. Marcus had to be wrong; it just made no sense. Eric wouldn't, he couldn't….it was impossible. Justin would be home any minute and she had never been good at hiding things from him but she resolved to say nothing until she knew for sure and made Marcus swear the same. The opening of the front door, followed by familiar footsteps alerted her to Justin's return and she heaved herself and the weight of her secret off the bed to join him.

Justin was scavenging in the kitchen for something edible. He hadn't been home much lately and having Marcus as a houseguest had pretty well emptied the shelves. He pulled a pad of paper out of the kitchen drawer and started making a grocery list.

"Hey, you need anything from the store?" Justin asked as he noticed Daphne standing there, "We are so out of food."

Daphne forced a fake "everything's all right" smile and rattled off a few things she could think of. Justin barely looked up but even with his head down she could tell he was smitten. Something was definitely up with her best friend. A small rumble of a cell phone from his pocket and the speed at which Justin reached to retrieve it was all Daphne needed to replace her forced smile with a real one.

"You met someone!" She laughed as she watched Justin blush over the text, "Living room now! Dish!"

Justin reluctantly followed her to the couch and flopped down. "His name's Mark and he's totally hot." Justin confessed, sort of pleased with himself.

"And….how did you meet?" She prompted.

"Facebook, sort of. I mean he's a friend of Liam's and I asked for more information about him just to confirm he was single and Liam arranged for us to meet for coffee this morning. We've been exchanging flirty texts back and forth all day. He asked me for dinner but I sort of already made plans with Eric."

Daphne patted Justin's leg genuinely happy for her friend and for a minute forgot about her dilemma. "Um, I think Eric will understand. You two are just friends, right?"

Justin nodded, eyebrow arched at her unexpected advice. "Daph, I'm not going to blow off Eric. Why would you even think that would be something I would do?"

"Well if you and Eric are just friends, can I, um, tag along tonight?" Daphne asked, certain if she could see Eric she might get to the bottom of his very unexpected behavior.

Justin didn't hesitate before adding Daphne to their dinner plans; it saved Eric a trip to come pick him up anyways. He changed quickly and they headed out to meet Eric at a Mexican restaurant they frequented, one best known for their excellent, and very strong, margaritas.

One of the nice things about not having a car was no one ever expected Justin to be the designated driver and three margaritas in, he was in no shape to drive even if they had. He expected the usual tension between Daphne and Eric competing for his attention might have died down with his and Eric's break-up but Daphne seemed to be even more gruff than usual. Justin's usual tendency to avoid getting in the middle of their spats was deadened by his tequila soaked lips. "What the fuck Daphne?" Justin asked, responding to the third attempt of Daphne's to grill Eric about his current love life.

Eric flashed a smile at Justin for his intervention and Daphne just shrugged. The conversation dying to a cringe-worthy pause made even more awkward by the noises of jovial restaurant diners buzzing around them. Granted asking Eric who he was fucking now did seem a bit harsh but Daphne wasn't getting anywhere being subtle. Daphne still didn't understand. Eric was a terrible liar and he hadn't cracked once. Justin pushed Eric a bit nudging him to let him out of the booth mumbling about having to take a piss. He turned standing over the table glaring a warning at two of his favorite people, "When I come back, you two need to have kissed and made up."

Eric looked around trying to ignore Daphne the best he could before she interjected. "You know Justin met a hot guy today and he turned down his dinner invite to hang out with you."

Eric flashed a puzzled look, "Daphne, do you want to just tell me what your latest fishing expedition is all about. I am way less tolerant than Justin of your interference in his life. If he met a hot guy; good for him."

"Is that cause you've moved on too?" She hissed.

"Not that it's any of your business, but no, I'm not seeing anyone right now. That doesn't mean I don't want Justin to move on. I'm even helping in my own way."

"What are you talking about? You think fucking Brian is going to help Justin move on?"

"What. the. fuck?" Eric asked, spitting frozen margarita all over her.

"Uh" Daphne exclaimed, grabbing a napkin to remove the sticky, cold droplets that fell on her arm, "I know about you and Brian!"

"God, Daphne, what is your problem? I am not sleeping with Brian. I am helping him get back into Justin's good graces. Not that I expect you to be happy about that either. You are one possessive hag."

"I just don't want Justin to get hurt. He needs a nice guy; Brian isn't the guy for Justin. I know Justin better than you!"

"Daphne, I am a nice guy and so is Brian. Stop getting involved and stop pretending that this is about him finding a nice guy. It kills you that you don't know Justin, like I know him, like a lover. Face it, you know you can't stand it that I know what it's like to have him inside me and I know the face he makes when he comes, something you will never have. It's why you're always turning away great STRAIGHT guys because you secretly just want to be with Justin….because you're in love with him." Eric did his best to hide the smugness he felt at finally being able to call Daphne on her bullshit. For the years he and Justin were together, he had her number, but always held his tongue out of respect for Justin.

"I am not in love with him!" Daphne seethed. She wanted to scream it and clenched her fists so tight her hands cramped up. She wanted to protest, explain that it wasn't the truth, but caught Justin's exit from the restroom in her periphery. As he walked closer to the table, Daphne gathered her bag and placed a twenty on the table.

"Hey, all better now?" Justin asked oblivious, his voice forcing an optimistic connotation to the question.

"Um, yeah, fine, look I have to go. Can you get a ride with Eric?" Daphne fumbled with her belongings and didn't wait for Justin's response before storming out.

"What the hell happened to her?" Justin asked befuddled, sliding back into the booth across from Eric. Eric shrugged.

"Beat's me. She was being weird all night."

"Yeah, I'm sorry she was being so rude to you…again." Justin stuttered. It wasn't the first time he apologized to Eric for Daphne's flying off the deep end over something neither of them understood.

"Women!" Eric exclaimed with hearty laughter, "Thank God we like dick, huh?"

Justin smiled at Eric's remark. He was often glad that he didn't have to pretend to understand women to get laid but he did have to live with her and her mood wasn't going to go away on its own. He wasn't looking forward to the fallout. The two men chatted easily despite both repeatedly picking up their cell phones which were perched next to their plates on the table. Justin wondered if Eric might actually be talking to someone since his excessive phone checking followed by occasional smirks and texting was all very out of character for him. Justin decided ignoring your cell phone during a meal was a courtesy extended only to a boyfriend and not to a friend and since it didn't bother him, he said nothing.

It was after nine when Eric and Justin finished off the meal and another round of drinks before heading home. Everything seemed very normal until Eric took a wrong turn and Justin gave him a questioning look. "I don't feel like going home. Do you want to check out some of the places on Liberty?" Eric said by way of explanation.

Justin laughed, confident that this was some sort of joke. Eric was never one to suggest clubbing or even bar-hopping but he really didn't want to deal with Daphne so he played along. "Sure" Justin nodded. "You want me to see if Liam and Josh want to meet us?"

Eric nodded, "If you want…"

A few text messages later and Eric suggested Woody's as a good central location to start their evening. Justin wasn't exactly in club clothes but he doubted Eric could be convinced to hit Babylon despite the night being his idea. Eric dropped Justin off at the front door and went to find parking. He stopped to text Brian first to let him know that he was delivering Justin as arranged earlier and then Liam and Josh to tell them to take their sweet time in coming to Woody's and that he would explain later.

Justin walked into Woody's and surveyed the crowded bar for a place large enough for their group. He pushed his way past sweaty, half-dressed men all seemingly biding time before it was late enough to hit the clubs. He found a high table in the corner. No chairs but at least a place to set drinks. He waited, checking his phone nervously and pondering asking Mark to meet him. He decided against it since Liberty Avenue wasn't exactly a first date sort of location and he didn't want to give the wrong impression that he was a club boy.

"Hey" Brian sauntered up to Justin carrying two drinks meeting Justin's wide-eyed, open-mouthed expression with a smoldering one of his own. "It's a tequila sunrise" he offered, confident that Eric's tutorial was already paying off, "I hear they are your favorite."

"How did you…What are you doing here?" Justin stammered but accepted the drink, his defenses already weakened by the margaritas.

"I saw you walk in and since you rushed off the other day, I wanted to say hello and see how you were."

"I'm fine and still not interested." Justin explained, "I'm actually seeing someone."

Brian flinched a little at Justin's declaration. Eric hadn't mentioned competition but it really didn't deter Brian all that much. "That's good." Brian smiled. "Cheers"

Justin tapped his glass to Justin's and looked around nervously for his friends.

"Is he meeting you here?" Brian asked casually, meeting Justin's stare towards the door. "What's he look like?"

"No, I'm waiting for Eric, Josh and Liam." Justin explained.

"Oh, so new boyfriend wasn't available?" Brian asked.

"Um, what? No, not tonight." Justin stumbled, willing Eric to come in the door, downing his drink nervously. What was it about his proximity to Brian that caused him to become unglued? Get a fucking grip already.

"You headed to Babylon?" Brian asked.

Justin nodded although he doubted it sincerely.

"Here" Brian offered pulling out VIP passes for Justin and his friends and setting them on the table. "This should get you in without waiting and free drinks. I'll be there tonight. I hope you save me a dance." Brian said sincerely. He took two steps from the table and turned to meet Justin's stare. "Hey Justin, I really am sorry about what I said. I was having a really shitty time and I took it out on you. I didn't mean it and I loved your painting. It was exquisite."

Brian walked away to see Eric coming in the door. A brief nod was exchanged as thanks. Eric only offered him a few minutes but insisted it was enough to lay the groundwork. Brian knew from Eric that Justin couldn't be seduced or pushed into forgiving him but he would want to forgive. It was in his nature. Brian just needed to keep reminding him of what had started between them before he had fucked it up and eventually the door would open. He just hoped this new man wouldn't be too much of an obstacle.

Eric brushed past the men milling around the bar to find Justin in the corner stewing. Eric had to suppress his laugh at the reaction Brian had garnered from his ex. "What the fuck took you so long?"

"Jeez, sorry, who knew parking down here was such a bitch. Looks like you got started without me." Eric dismissed Justin's anger and smiled.

"Fucking Brian" Justin explained as to why he had a drink already.

Eric laughed and seeing Josh and Liam, motioned for the men to join them.

"Man, this place is crowded tonight!" Josh said, elbowing a large bearish man out of the way who got a little too grabby with Liam's ass when they passed by. Liam grinned brightly at his boyfriend; he loved possessive Josh and melted back against his chest, wrapping his arms around him.

"What's this?" Josh asked pulling the VIP cards from the table. "So cool! Are we going?"

Liam smiled seeing Josh's enthusiasm. He loved nothing more than dancing with him and it had been awhile since they had been out. "Where did you get these?"

"Brian" Justin answered, pointing to him at the bar.

"Does he work there?" Liam asked studying the cards and flipping one over. "Wait, he owns Babylon? Oh my God. Why didn't you tell us?"

"What?" Justin gasped, "He does not!"

"Yes" Liam countered pointing to the back of the cards, "Look, they're on the back of his business card. Right here it says owner."

Justin grabbed the card and looked over at Brian who was chatting up a tall, lanky man in red leather pants and a see-through mesh top. He wasn't flirting, just talking. Justin pushed his way up to the bar and stood behind Brian.

"What the hell?" Justin exclaimed. "Why didn't you just tell me you owned the place?"

Brian stopped mid-conversation with his friend, "Excuse me!" Brian's friend said, incensed at being interrupted by one of Brian's tricks. "Rude little twink! We were talking."

Brian smirked a little, "Justin, I'd like to introduce you to one of my oldest friends. Emmett Honeycutt, meet Justin Taylor."

Justin realized how rude he had been and let his country club upbringing bring a flush of embarrassment to his face. He shook Emmett's hand before apologizing. Brian swiveled in his bar stool to face Justin. "I didn't tell you I owned Babylon because I didn't think it was important. I own several buildings and Kinnetik as well. I don't advertise these things but I don't hide them either. Does it matter?"

"I'm just surprised is all."

"Well maybe if you give me another chance, you will find I am full of surprises."

"Brian, I told you…"

"I know you're seeing someone. I'm just asking for a date; a proper one. Sex can be totally off the menu; that is, if you want it to be." Brian chuckled and did his best to ignore the look Emmett was giving him.

Justin smiled nervously and spun around to glance at his friends. He watched as Liam and Josh kissed as if no one was in the bar, as if the world had faded away. He wanted that with someone so deeply. When he turned back to see Brian's face he felt a fire rise up from his belly and fought back the overwhelming desire he had to kiss the man, "fine one date, no sex."

Brian nodded and watched as Justin rejoined his friends before giving Emmett a warning look, "Close your mouth Honeycutt!"

"What the fuck was that about?" Emmett asked perplexed. "Are you really dating someone, like for real?"

Brian glanced over at Justin and watched his golden blond hair bob around in the crowd as he laughed with his friends and let his eyes take in his perfectly shaped ass. His mouth practically watered for it. "You know Honeycutt; there's more to life than sex." He deadpanned and took his drink, smirking in his own honest revelation while still watching Justin intently.

He turned just in time to see Emmett feign a heart attack and grasp the bar melodramatically. "Bartender, your best Champaign!" he called.

"Champaign? At Woody's?" Brian asked his eyebrows pushed together.

"Well since hell has clearly frozen over; I guess all these fags can't be going there after all. Seems we should celebrate. Who knew it just took one little blond twink to save the lot of us from the eternal fires, my daddy will be very disappointed."

"Emmett, I'm serious about this one. I think I need him in my life." Brian admitted not liking the dismissive tone Emmett was taking; he wanted his friends to know he was really changing.

Emmett marveled at Brian's candor, "Honey, then he must be an angel."

Brian smiled, "Yeah, my angel."