Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Justin slid open the door to his apartment pleased to no longer be greeted by cardboard boxes. It had been just two weeks since they moved but they were finally and officially unpacked. He tossed his bag down on the countertop when he first noticed something was off. The large screen television in the family room was set to ESPN, a channel neither him nor Daphne ever watched. This could mean only one thing…Daphne had company. He glanced around but didn't see any evidence to another's presence. He padded into the back hallway leading to her room and observed the door shut but light on confirming his suspicion that the company was likely of the male gender.

"Daphne, I'm home" he called through the closed door. He didn't want to interrupt whatever she may be doing but he also didn't care to witness anything that might spill over into their common space if she didn't know he was there either.

His message was met only with a series of grunts, groans and a rhythmic squeaking of her bed frame which made him chuckle as he returned to the kitchen. He looked in the fridge and pantry and started pulling together something for dinner.

Justin worked in the kitchen ignoring the rather obvious sounds coming from the bedroom. Part of him was happy for his best friend on getting what sounded like a good fuck after a long dry spell but the other part of him was envious. It hadn't been that long, maybe six weeks, since he technically had sex but it was so much longer since he had the passionate tear your clothes off and go at it right now kind of sex he craved. He turned up the cooking show he was watching trying to drown out the noises but felt the stir in his pants knowing it was too late to suppress his arousal. He poured himself a glass of wine and snacked on some Wheat Thins letting his mind wander back to four years ago when Eric and he were first together. He recalled their early passion, the constant butterflies and the overwhelming pull to be together and tried to pinpoint when that feeling was lost to them. He yearned for the new lover feeling again so badly; he even considered using a dating site or in a really dark moment, Grindr, to find someone who could awaken pure unadulterated lust in him again. All his fantasies lately seem to consist of a man who would push him against a wall or bend him over a couch and just take him. He didn't really have an issue with casual sex, not a moral one, anyway…to each their own… but since he had never actually bottomed before he was resistant to taking that step with a stranger. He was even less confident in his own ability to initiate such an encounter. There was no denying he was a twenty-three year old (that still looked seventeen) and had been with exactly one boyfriend. He wasn't exactly adept at navigating gay dating in the twenty-first century.

The kitchen timer beeped alerting him to his dinner coinciding with a firm knock at the front door. He slid the door open and stared blankly at the brash neighbor he hadn't seen since his moving day. Judging by the way his eyes ran down over his body, there was no confusion about the man's sexuality; clearly they played for the same team. Perhaps it was his aroused state or the way the man was leaning up against the frame wearing a form-fitting black tank that perfectly complimented his chest and arms that made Justin notice him in a whole new way. Regardless, he thought, the man was a freaking God. He was just about to formulate a pithy comment when the gorgeous man pushed his way into the apartment brushing his shoulder as he entered uninvited.

"Where is your girlfriend?" he asked waving a rectangular shape paper.

"Excuse me?" Justin asked not certain who he was referring to.

"Your girlfriend, this little game she's playing needs to stop now!" Brian barked.

"Look I don't even know you and you pushed your way into my apartment and start barking orders at me; do you have any concept of how fucking inappropriate that is?"

"We've met. I'm Brian…and you owe me a favor so I want to claim it now to have you call off the little woman"

"First, I don't know what you are talking about. Daphne is my roommate not my girlfriend or my little woman and she hasn't listened to me since she was twelve so if you pissed her off, I suggest you fix it yourself."

"You said anything!" Brian objected.

"What's she done anyway?" Justin asked trying to keep a straight face at Brian's hysterics.

"Well let's see last week she hijacked my Thai food from the delivery person and when I called he said my wife had offered to take it up for me. I mysteriously found chewing gum over the buzzer to my apartment so my tri…, I mean my visitor, was not able to ring my loft. When I asked why he didn't just text me he told me he rang the fifth floor unit and told that I had just been arrested for selling drugs and the police were watching the building" he explained, "and then this week I've suddenly gotten a parking ticket even though I have parked in the same spot for years. I just saw her walking into the building with a cop not even thirty minutes ago so I'm pretty sure she's responsible for this too."

Justin stared at Brian for a few minutes thinking back to the Thai food Daphne has left for him in the fridge and burst out laughing, "Damn, you are fucked. You better make it up to her somehow or find a new place to live."

"What?"

"Daphne…she can hold a grudge and you were incredibly rude to her when we moved in. My advice, fix it now before it gets worse."

"Worse?" Brian asked his eyebrow pushed together in confusion.

"She's creative, smart and escalating so I recommend you make amends quickly." Justin explained sincerely with a pat of his arm in a show of sympathy.

"Why? Is she going to chop my balls off? What is wrong with her?"

Justin just giggled, "I have no idea but I'm staying out of it. I have to live with her."

"You do owe me a favor" Brian reminded him.

Justin thought for a minute, "Listen, Daphne and I are having a get together with a few friends tomorrow for dinner. Why don't you join us? It's the best I can do; maybe you can charm her into a truce. She likes tulips and her favorite wine is Riesling."

"You want me to buy her flowers?" he asked. "I'm not about to bring flowers and wine to attend a hetero dinner party" he huffed, turning to leave.

"Your call buddy. I'm just trying to help you fix this so she will leave you alone…and for the record, it won't be all hetero's." Justin called as Brian slid the door open to leave, "I'll be there."

Brian pivoted on his foot to look at Justin. His first impression of the blond had been definitively straight but he gave him a second once over and his lips curled into a smile at his misjudgment. "I see" he said as he strolled back over to the kitchen where Justin was emptying the pasta into the strainer.

Justin looked up and saw the almost predatory smile on Brian's face. "I take it you couldn't tell I was gay before?" he joked seeing Brian's renewed level of interest.

"Nope, I guess I need to get my gaydar checked." He flirted seizing him up with his eyes again.

"I guess so" Justin smiled, "Take a look around" he motioned and for the first time pointing out the photographs showing him with his arms wrapped around Eric.

"Aww…a boyfriend. I should have figured as much." Brian teased looking at the photo and other art hanging on their walls; "You look like the boyfriend type" he clarified at seeing Justin's questioning expression.

"Well I'm more the ex-boyfriend type these days but I take it you're not?" Justin asked, "…the boyfriend type, I mean"

Brian shook his head, "No I am most definitely not the boyfriend type. So why the shrine to the ex? Still hopelessly in love?" he asked with a condescending tone Justin chose to ignore.

"Daphne took the pictures. She's a photographer. I didn't think she would hang them but she did and I don't care enough to ask her to take them down. Eric and I are still friends…I guess…it didn't end badly at least"

Brian was making Justin nervous with his constant staring. "So you need help getting over the ex?" he offered with a suggestive tone.

Justin felt a little bold from the wine and a little horny from his dry spell so he took a deep breath and went for it, "Sure maybe you can help me with that after the dinner party tomorrow".

"What about now?" Brian offered putting one hand on the back of Justin's neck and the other on his hip.

Every instinct told Justin to lean into the touch but fear caused him to pull back suddenly, "I like to get to know a person a little beforehand. You don't even know my name."

Brian stumbled a little, unused to being rejected, particularly for that reason. "What's your name then Sunshine?" he asked pulling him closer again.

"It's Justin" he offered breaking free again, "Dinner, seven tomorrow then you can take me to a club. I love to dance and haven't been clubbing in ages."

"That sounds like a date. I don't do dates." Brian wavered.

Justin escorted Brian to the door, "Well I guess that's your call as well. I hope you change your mind."

Justin slid the door shut and exhaled, leaning against the door to revel in the butterflies he had longed for earlier. His heart rate returned to normal and his stomach growled reminding him of his abandoned dinner just as Daphne, sporting a terrible case of bed head and wearing only a long t-shirt and panties, walked a tall, dark and beefy half-dressed cop out of her bedroom. "Thanks" she said opening the door.

"Anytime" he offered looking her over and pulling her in for a good-bye kiss. Justin cleared his throat as much to alert them to his presence as to save Daphne from a drawn out good-bye. She turned her face at the last-minute so he kissed her cheek and he winked at her discreetly. He knew she wasn't much for post-sex intimacy.

"Oh hey Jus" she offered, "Brayden, this is my roommate Justin".

"Justin, this is Brayden. He was just leaving." Allowing barely enough time for the men to exchange a "hey" before Daphne coaxed Brayden out and shut the door. Justin smiled and held up the bowl of pasta. "Hungry?" he asked.

"Starved" she answered with a real smile as she took the dish and pulled two forks from the drawer for the both of them.

"So how was he?" Justin laughed as they settled into the couch with their dinner and wine.

"Good enough" she shrugged, "long, thick but with a weird curve to the left. I hate when it's curved, throws me off when I'm giving head. I took one look and didn't even bother with it."

"He didn't seem to mind" he laughed, "think you'll see him again?"

She shook her head no and Justin dropped it. Daphne was very business-like when it came to sex. He wished she would find a real relationship if for no other reason to keep her distracted from his love life.

"Well Brian will be relieved to not get any more tickets. The food and the gum were funny but I hope you didn't sleep with that cop just to get him to write a ticket for you."

"That wasn't the only reason. It's been months and I was overdue. Having him write the parking ticket was just a perk. He actually suggested it. Brian was parked illegally. I restrained myself; I could have had him towed."

Justin rolled his eyes, "I think you need anger management classes."

Daphne punched him in the arm and laughed as they drank and ate and watched Orange is the New Black on Netflix. Their show ended and Justin brought up the dinner party over the dishes mentioning he had invited another guest.

"Oh my God, you have a date!" she gawked.

"Not a date exactly... Apparently he doesn't do boyfriends or dates but I want you to be on your best behavior."

"What do you mean he doesn't do dates?" Daphne asked confused. "…and when have I ever been rude to someone you liked?"

Justin shrugged, "That's just what he said when I asked him to go out after dinner tomorrow"

Daphne leaned over and kissed Justin on the cheek, "I'm sure he will change his mind when he finds out how incredible you are."

Brian returned to his loft after his conversation with Justin a bit conflicted. On one hand he thought it would be dangerous to pursue someone who so clearly the settle-down type. On the other hand the man was attractive and it had been ages since he fucked an artsy type. Since he really did need to smooth things over with his psycho roommate; he thought he would at least go to the dinner. Brian took off his clothes and moved to the bathroom for a shower. He hadn't been out in weeks and he needed to blow off some steam. As he went to shave, he took a look in the mirror, searching for signs that might reveal he was thirty-five and not thirty as he claimed to be. He smiled relived to find no wrinkles or gray hair but pulling on the skin around his neck and cheeks testing the elasticity of his skin. He lathered up his shaving cream smoothing it over his jaw and throat as he normally did but as he ran his hand down over his neck he noticed a small lump for the first time. It didn't hurt but it was definitely there; Brian ran his hand over the bump a few times concerned as to what it might be. He tried to push the abnormality out of his mind, confident that you couldn't see it unless you were really looking and continued shaving and showering for his night out.

Brian entered Babylon and, as always, it felt like coming home; although lately it seem to serve as a reminder he lived alone. His usual gang had all but abandoned the playground of their youth preferring to stay home with their husbands watching romantic comedies and turning in early. Ted had all but given up clubbing when he married Blake last year. Emmett's catering business meant he was rarely free weekends and evenings and if he was; he preferred snuggling with Drew to going out. Even Michael was living happily ever after with Ben in Toronto for the last year. They had moved when his separation from JR proved too much to take and Ben was able to find a great job teaching that gave him plenty of time to write. It was on the rare night when Brian felt like he was pushing the limits of being an over-the-hill club boy that he missed them the most. Five years ago he would be proud to be the last bachelor standing but lately it just seemed lonely especially when the latest twenty-something stud of Liberty Avenue came in and siphoned the hottest guys into the backroom. On those nights he would retreat to his office upstairs and work. Most nights the insecurities could be drunk or fucked away. For a man of thirty-five, Brian had maintained his looks, his body was near perfect and his reputation was legendary. Getting laid was not a difficult task; getting a satisfying lay was another story however. He remained amazed by how selfish the young men were these days; just wanting to lie there and be fucked or worse looking to Brian as some sort of sugar daddy to take care of them. Tonight the club was packed but no one caught Brian's eye; Brian hit the bar for a drink and sipped it facing the dance floor leaning one elbow on the bar top so he could survey the men as they entered the club.

After about an hour he noticed a young, fresh-faced, blond dancing in a crowd of twinkies. He watched him move, admiring the curve of his ass and the stamina and flexibility his dancing demonstrated. He kept his eyes on the man until the song changed to one of his liking. Brian took the final swig of his whiskey, set the empty glass down, and made his way to the dance floor. He maneuvered his way into the crowd to approach the man and whispered in his ear his best offer… to take him home and fuck him senseless. The man's eyes grew wide, pupils dilating in lust and one enthusiastic nod later he was on his way out the door.

Brian escorted the man to his bedroom, shedding his clothes as they walked and pushed him roughly to the bed. With Brian straddling him, the man relaxed, letting Brian kiss him from his belly button up his slim chest. Brian bit one of his nipples, making him moan, before kissing his way to the other nipple. He sucked it and bit, as the grasp from the man pulled him down with need. The man kissed him hard on the lips and panted, "Please I need this" he begged.

Brian stood up and removed his pants pulling the man up to a sitting position. "Suck my dick" he ordered. The man complied wrapping his mouth around Brian's length. Brian's eyes fluttered closed as he pushed into the back of the trick's throat. He concentrated on the warmth and wetness of the man pleasuring him but his mind wandered to another blond. "Justin" he moaned softly moving his hips roughly forcing his trick to take him to the back of his throat. As soon as the word left his mouth he cracked his lids to experience the image of the blond head bobbing before him, struggling to swallow his dick. Brian was relieved that he either hadn't heard him, didn't care or his name was actually Justin as well. Regardless Brian continued to slide his cock in and out of the boy's mouth until he felt close to orgasm. "Lie down and turn over" Brian ordered. He placed a condom and fucked the man into the mattress. As soon as he came; he went. Leaving Brian alone in his bed to wonder what the hell had happened and why he was preoccupied with thoughts of a man he had just met.

Brian woke up startled by a dream he couldn't remember. He felt terrible, not hung-over exactly, but feverish like he was coming down with something. He sat up and ran his hand through his hair surprised to find it was damp from perspiration. He stood up and went to the kitchen to retrieve a bottle of water and then to the bathroom to take a piss and pop some Advil. As he returned to his bed he noticed his sheets were soaked from his sweat and needed changing so he grumbled as he found the sheets and changed his linens before sinking back to the bed in exhaustion.

Brian woke up the next day tired but thankful he was feeling better. It took a monumental effort to get out of bed and ready. He worked most of the day on a project he had procrastinated, called Gus after his soccer game, and headed out to secure a bottle of Riesling and a bunch of tulips for Daphne before dinner. Since he was out he also took the liberty of picking up a dozen lemon bars for good measure.

At seven on the dot, Brian knocked on the door of Justin's apartment. "Come in" Daphne's voice called from inside.

Brian slid open the door juggling the lemon bars, flowers and wine and was greeted by a bright smile that quickly faded into a scowl. Daphne's entire face frowned at seeing Brian. "What are you doing here?" she asked before Justin rushed over to welcome Brian in.

"Hey glad you could make it" Justin spoke to Brian giving him a quick, chaste peck on the cheek and taking the container and inspecting the contents. "Yum, lemon bars….thanks"

"Look Daph…Brian brought lemon bars" he said to his stunned friend, holding it up for her inspection before putting them down on the table.

"Brian, I don't think you have properly met my roommate and best friend, Daphne. Daphne…this is Brian our neighbor upstairs and my guest." He spoke in a soothing tone that seemed to convey an agreement between them.

"Hello Daphne" Brian said. "I hope you like white wine and tulips"

Daphne gave Justin a death glare conveying she was on to his little ruse but still managed a forced smile. "Hi Brian, nice to meet you" she offered through gritted teeth but accepted the wine and flowers. "I'll just go put these in some water. Justin won't you help me?"

Justin excused himself and followed a very unhappy woman into the open kitchen as Brian stood awkwardly in the entryway pretending he couldn't overhear their heated exchange.

Just as Justin was explaining that he didn't care what Daphne thought he would make his own decisions about who he fucked, a knock at the door ended the discussion. Daphne opened the door and greeted the next guest with a warm hug. The man who was dressed in medical scrubs was introduced to Brian as Daphne's brother Marcus.

"Your Brian from upstairs?" Marcus asked looking at Justin with a knowing glance that unnerved Brian.

"Yeah" Brian confirmed.

"Dude, you have some serious balls. Good luck with my sister" he said through laughter, patting Brian on the shoulder like a man about to eat his last meal.

Brian didn't have time to question Justin on Marcus's comment before they were joined by three more guests. Fi, short for Fiona, was a petite red-head with dazzling green eyes that Daphne worked with at the paper. Liam was another artist and a friend of Justin's from school. Liam's boyfriend Josh was a teacher who ran an early childhood center and afterschool program. Brian took only a few minutes before he relaxed enough to enjoy the conversation and company. He even laughed at the easy banter between Justin and Daphne reminding him of his relationship with Lindsay before she moved away.

"Brian you look familiar" Josh said, "Have we met?"

In the company of gay men, this question was almost always answered by running through places where they might have fucked but Brian decided it was probably not going to win him any points with Daphne or Justin for that matter particularly if he exposed their friend was cheating on his boyfriend. Since he was not among family he opted for a safer response….denial. "I don't think so" Brian offered nonchalantly.

"No, do you have kids?" he persisted.

"Yes" Brian answered, "but he lives with his mothers in Canada"

"You have a kid?" Justin asked in surprise.

Brian nodded seizing an opportunity to sprinkle in some flattery, "I fathered a child for a friend of mine and her wife. Lindsay and I were best friends in school like you and Daphne. You remind me of her Daphne; she's talented as well, an artist, like you and protective of me, like you are with Justin."

"Wow, I didn't picture you as a dad. What's his name?" Justin asked.

"Gus" Brian answered, pulling out his wallet to show off his latest school picture. "He's almost six now"

Justin handed the picture back to Brian and flashed a wide smile. "He's beautiful like his dad" Justin flirted.

Brian smiled proudly, his heart warmed by Justin's admiration and interest in his son. He replaced the picture in his wallet.

Daphne took one look at the smitten Justin and felt a need to break up the tender moment. "Well I'm starving, time to eat!" she announced before bouncing to the kitchen to pull out the lasagna and salad to the table.

Brian waited to be told where to sit and pulled Justin's chair out for him, winning him another bright smile from Justin but a return of Daphne's scowl. "This is wonderful" he complimented as he took his first few bites directing his comment to Daphne.

"Actually I cooked" Justin clarified. "Thanks. It's hard to mess up lasagna."

Brian smiled at Justin, feeling that warmth settle over him once again. He was actually kind of sweet, as well as being sexy as fuck; a rare combination for a man and one Brian found highly arousing.