Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Again, thanks to Flossee for her help on this chapter

Two months after that night, things are going to evolve again...

 

 

Two months later - May 2008 – Pittsburgh

Ted’s POV

That last year had been a very busy time for Kinnetik. Busy and Profitable. Ted Schmidt considered himself a lucky man, being the CFO of such a flourishing company and having a beautiful life partner by his side.

His boss is a genius in advertising. In fact, Brian Kinney is a genius in a lot of areas, and more than that, he is first and foremost a good friend.

Ted has witnessed the changes in his friend over the last few years. At first, like many others, all Ted saw in Brian was the endless club boy who made a point to show the world the narcissistic, heartless bastard he could sometimes be. “You’re all you have, you’re all you’ve got”, was a philosophy that Ted didn’t understand for a long time, thinking that it was just a way to assume the selfishness that came with the man. Now he knows he was wrong, the years having brought him a new insight in to the other man’s life; in fact, if he was to define the word “antonym” for Ted the example would be Brian Kinney and selflessness.

If not for Brian, Ted knows he wouldn’t be where he is today. The man saved him, literally, offering him a job when no one else would.  Even if Brian never admitted wanting to help him in the first place, instead in true Kinney fashion saying it served his owns interests, Ted knew the truth. What Ted found difficult to understand was the fact that his friend had wanted to hide it, and chose to be seen as an arrogant bastard rather than who he really was, a fucked up, but generous man. Working with Brian has helped him understand the man beneath the image, yet, it is still difficult to figure him out sometimes.

This last year has been hard for his friend. Justin’s departure nearly broke him and Ted couldn’t do anything, but be there for him, especially when Brian was too fucked up to come to work. It didn’t happen more than a few times, Brian wasn’t stupid enough to jeopardize what he worked so hard for, but when it did, Ted was there to cover for him and to offer his support, in one way or another.

Brian was grateful for that. Of course, he never admitted it to Ted, or he would have had to fire him, but Ted knew it.

He remembers the conversation they had three weeks ago, when Brian had just seen Jennifer by accident. Ted was going to Brian’s office on a Monday morning, wanting to greet his boss at the beginning of the week as usual, when Cynthia stopped him in the corridor.

“Ted.” She looked annoyed. Or pissed. Or both.

“Cynthia, you look lovely today.  How are you this morning?” Ted greeted her cheerfully.

“Could be better,” was the fleeting reply.

Under Ted’s questioning gaze, she volunteered, “Brian. He’s in a foul mood this morning.”

“Meaning…?” Ted questioned.

“He already threatened to fire Anna, the new assistant, and it’s not even nine yet,” she complained.

“I see.” Ted replied with a nod, frowning.

“Good luck,” Cynthia says with a not so sincere smile on her lips, before turning on her heels and heading toward her own office.

“Hum.” Ted responded absently.

He headed to Brian’s office and knocked on the door before walking in without waiting for an answer.

Brian was at his desk, on the phone. His left hand was on his face, his elbow on the desk, his eyes closed. A dilated vein caused by the tension in his body was clearly noticeable on his neck. He seemed ready to explode, literally.

“Listen Marty… are you listening?” Brian called, in a very calm, very cold voice. “Good…now, if you don’t show up in thirty minutes with the boards I want, you will have the pleasure to know what it feels like to be thrown out the door, without a pen or a stick of gum to take along with you, but only your poor little ass to fall onto. So, if you don’t want to be fucking unemployed by the end of the day and have to stand in line for hours at the Employment office, you will do as I say, understand?” Then without waiting for an answer, he slammed the intercom off and put his hands on his face as he sighed frustratedly.

“Hum, Brian?” Ted called. He really was a courageous man.

However, Brian didn’t react at all.

Still standing by the door, Ted decided to dare approach the desk, to try again get a response. “Brian?”

A sigh. Better than nothing Ted supposed. He repeated his friend’s name, loudly. “Brian!”

“What?” Brian barked, a murderous look on his face, but Ted was used to it. No luck boss.

“You okay?” Ted inquired, eyeing an invisible point on the opposite wall, like he was having a silent conversation with himself. He then seemed to focus again. “No, scratch that, I think it’s obvious you’re not, considering you managed to threaten to fire two people already, and it‘s…” he looked down at his watch. “Five to nine. Whoa! Boss, even for you, it has to be a record.”

“Fuck off, Theodore.” Brain snapped without glancing at him as he stood up to fetch himself a glass of water.

“No.” Ted courageously responded.

“No?” Brian turned around, glaring at him.

“You know your threats don’t work on me, or I would be long gone by now.” Ted stated.

Brian seemed to ponder Ted’s words. “Shit, I lost my touch,” he mused, frowning.

“Yeah.” Ted agreed with a nod. Brian raised an eyebrow, looking fucking intimidating, and making Ted squirm. “Or, not so much."

Brian almost grinned.

“So, care to tell me what is happening to you?” The CFO cut right to the point.

All he got was a sigh. Then silence. Patience is a virtue. Especially when your boss is Brian Kinney.

“I saw Jennifer this morning,” Brian disclosed after several seconds.

Oh shit.

“You mean, Justin’s mom?” Ted questioned, although it’s really a stupid question.

“Yeah,” Brian confirmed.

“Oh.” Double shit. “And?” Ted pushed.

“And what?” Brian barked.

“You want to tell me about it?” Ted asked, knowing full well what was going be his friend’s answer.

“No.” Of course.

“No?” Ted echoed. He is a really, really brave man.

“No.” Brian repeated, but his voice sounds weaker somehow.

Now, it was Ted’s turn quirk an eyebrow, while holding Brian’s stare.

Brian was the first to break eye contact. “Fuck.”

Ted smiled. He knew he had won this one.

The two men went to sit on the couch. Brian lowered his head and peered down at his joined hands resting on his lap.

Taking a deep breath, he disclosed, “I had to stop at the store this morning to pick up the newspaper. My fucking deliverer is sick or whatever. So, I stopped on my way here and... I saw her.”

Ted didn’t say anything, knowing his friend would speak when he was ready.

“It was awkward to say the least." Brian continued. "I mean, what do you say to your ex mother-in-law, anyway?” He paused, before resuming. "I don’t know why, I asked her about Justin…” He barked out a laugh. “With ideas like that, I should really try BDSM.”

“You didn’t?” Ted couldn’t help but ask. Under Brian’s now intimating gaze, he added hastily, gesturing with his hand, “Sorry, go on.”

Brian stared at him for a few more seconds, before revealing, “She told me he was fine, happy and that he was having, and I quote “the time of his life.” Brian laughed sarcastically. “After that, she had the good grace to look confused and to tell me he missed me, and that it was hard for him to be so far away. But from where I stood, she was just trying to be nice.”

“Brian.” Ted tried to interrupt him at this point, without success.

“And I know it was what we wanted and that I should be happy for him… and I am. I’m fucking proud of him.” Brian professed with a sigh. “Fuck, why am I being such a prick?”

“Brian.” Ted cut him off.

“What?” Brian mumbled.

“It’s okay to feel what you feel.” Ted declared in a kind voice.

“What, being a heartless bastard who can’t be happy for his ex?” Brian replied sarcastically.

“No." Ted refuted with a shake of his head. "To feel like you would rather be with him, than away from him. To feel like you’re happy for him, and yet, you’d rather he was happy by your side.” Ted paused, letting the words sink in. “It’s a feeling everyone would experience in such circumstances Brian. You’re only human.”

Brian just stared at him for a moment.

“Me, only human?” Brian scowled. “That’s kind of insulting.” Brian was always uncomfortable when he talked about his feelings. Ted knew it, yet he also knew that Brian had listened to every word he'd just said.

As if to validate Ted’s thoughts, Brian stated, “You’re really eloquent when I’m pissed, you know that?”

Ted smiled, proud to be able to help his friend.

Brian began, “You’re aware…”

Ted interrupted him. “Yeah, I know, you’ll have to fire me after that.”

“I was going to say that you’ll have to be murdered. I couldn’t risk having you spilling nonsense all over Liberty Avenue with that big mouth of yours,” Brian countered.

“Well, thanks for the warning.” Ted said, standing up and making his way to the door.

“You’re welcome…and Theodore?”

“What?” Ted stopped and turned around.

“Thanks.” Brian’s face was open and vulnerable, reflecting that he was grateful for his friend’s intervention.

Ted answered with a nod, and walked out of Brian’s office.

Yes. Brian Kinney was his friend, and he was proud of it.


That conversation happened three weeks ago. In the meantime, Kinnetik has won a new client, and Brian is currently having lunch with their CEO.

Ted is at his desk preparing a memo about the last four months budget reports when Cynthia calls him through the intercom.

“Ted, there’s someone at the front desk, who says he knows Brian,” she informs him.

“Really? What does he look like?” Ted inquires.

“Tall, dark complexion, dark blond hair, green eyes, in other words, to die for," Cynthia reports." I really should have been a man.”

“Why do you say that?” Ted asks as he grabs a file in his desk.

“He’s gay,” Cynthia announces.

“And you know this because…?” Ted insists, opening the folder in his hand.

“He didn’t look at my attractive deep neckline." Cynthia informs Ted. "He must be gay. If he’s not, I swear I’m becoming a lesbian.”

Ted laughs. “Ok, I will be there in a minute.” Then he rises from his chair, and heads to the door.

When he enters the lobby, all he can see is the man’s back, but he recognizes him immediately. It’s the man from the Diner, the one Emmett and he thought was going to become Brian’s what? Trick? Lover? Well, as far as he knows, the two men hadn’t seen each other ever since.

“Hi.” Ted greets him. The man nearly jumps before turning around, seemingly startled. Ted extends his hand. “You’re Aidan, right? I’m Theodore Schmidt.”

Aidan shakes his hand and volunteers, “Yeah, I remember you. You were at the Liberty Diner, right?”

“Right. I’m also Brian’s CFO. He isn’t here right now, but maybe I can help you in the meantime?” Ted offers.

“Hum, yeah, maybe.” Aidan hesitates.

“Well, come on. My office is this way.” Ted leads Aidan through the open space and to his office. “Have a sit.” Ted indicates the extra chair next to his desk. Once Aidan is sitting, he asks, “So, what do you need? I presume if you accepted to follow me to my office, it must be work related?” Ted has to admit, he’s curious as to why the man is here.

“Yeah, it is.” Aidan responds, seemingly uncomfortable. “Brian gave me his card, back when we ate at the Diner,” Aidan begins. “And he told me to call him if I needed anything.”

His eyes are the most beautiful green Ted can’t help but think.

“I am looking for a job, or more precisely for some works. I’m working freelance. I’m a photographer. So, I was wondering…” Aidan explains with a gesture of his hand.

“You were wondering if we had some works for you?” Ted finishes the man’s sentence.

“Yeah, something like that. I brought my resume.” Aidan extends it to Ted. “I’d be very grateful if Kinnetik would consider my application.”

Ted grabs the piece of paper and peers down at its content. After a few seconds, he nods, before gazing up at Aidan. “I can’t promise you anything, but we’ll see what we can do.” Ted puts the resume on his folder with the memo he is working on. “Brian should be returning shortly, though. Do you want to wait for him?”

“No, I don’t want to bother him,” Aidan replies.

“You’re sure?” Ted questioned with a frown.

“Yes.” Aidan stands up. “Thank you for your time.”

“You’re welcome.” Ted follows him, intending to escort him to the entrance of the building. However, just as he is about to reach the front door, Brian pulls in, visibly in a hurry.

“Fucking rain.” Brian mutters. His rain-soaked coat pulled over his head. He then looks up and sees them. Or more accurately him. “Aidan?”

They stare at each other for a moment, leaving Ted with the distinct impression that they have forgotten he is even there.

“Hello Brian.”


Aidan’s POV

The last two months have been hard for Aidan. After having broken down that night at Woody’s, it took him two days to recover, alone, in the safety of his apartment. He couldn’t shake the feeling that he had been reckless, and that if not for a providential encounter, it could have gone badly. Losing the ability to think, or forgetting a whole night altogether, was definitively not a common occurrence for him. If not for Brian, he didn’t know what could have happened to him.

Brian.

Aidan couldn’t explained it, but he had felt something, a connection, a bond, whatever people called it. It was there, almost palpable, yet invisible to anyone but them. He wondered what Brian’s story was, what could have happened to him to make him the man he was today. Aidan was sure that he saw a crack behind the man’s apparent bravery. It was there, almost floating around him.

And of course, Aidan wasn’t blind. Brian Kinney was one of the most handsome man he had ever met.

He hadn’t called him after that night, and that shared moment at the Diner. If someone had asked him why, he wasn’t sure he could have answered. Maybe because he was scared by the feelings he knew could emerge for the man, or maybe because he was a coward, or again because he didn’t want to impose his shitty life and his shitty moods on another human being. It didn’t really mattered why. He didn’t call, end of the story.

Or so he thought.

Once he had recovered from his meltdown, he focused on his first goal of the moment: helping his sister and her family. Olivia was having a hard time accepting her disease and trying to learn to live again with new rules. She needed help in her everyday life. Every upcoming moment, every word, every situation was always a new challenge, a new battle to fight. Aidan was the powerless witness of the damages that were emerging more clearly now that they knew what they were fighting. A fight that they could only loose.

Talk about a shitty life.

It had taken him some time to accept it, and even if he would always be angry that life was once again playing them, he resolved himself to move on, and to try and be happy again, for his sister.

He stayed with her, always by her side while doctors and specialists gave them some tools for her to go on with her life, and by extension for him to go on with his life. Rituals, Notebooks, Workshop to jog her memory, more rituals…everything was planned, talked over, rehearsed, from the moment she woke up in the morning to the moment she went to sleep at night.

Aidan was able to anticipate her behavior more easily after the first month, but he was also noticing that the damages were slowly, but surely increasing. He didn’t know if the shock that the announcement of Alzheimer’s disease produced was at play, knowing that the changes in her health could evolve more or less rapidly; this disease, as the doctor had explained, could last a few years or more, depending on the patient. Olivia was nearly at the moderate stage of the disease. According to the specialists, it was a common occurrence for a young patient, for whom Alzheimer’s was difficult to diagnose, as doctors often had the mistaken impression that they were dealing with a depression.

It wasn’t easy. Watching his sister struggling to keep her sanity, and failing… Even if there still were moments of happiness, it made him feel vulnerable and powerless.

Aidan didn’t know how she was holding up; all her family were trying to support her as best they could. Claire was coming home, as often as possible, to help Olivia and assistance her with even the smallest of tasks; like giving her directions to bake a cake with the notebooks and the methods she learned at the caregivers support group she was going to. Noah was helping her in her day to day life with the chores in the house. Her husband was there as much as possible, considering his demanding job. Everybody was adjusting to the disease and to this new life.

After two months Aidan knew he had to find a new job, having taken more than three months to help his sister. He couldn’t live on his savings alone for too long. Therefore, he started to look for works he could do as a freelancer, so he could still be available as much as possible for his family.

He didn’t know anybody in Pittsburgh. In fact, Aidan had always been a lonely man, preferring an itinerant lifestyle instead of a settled one. He had a few friends, but other than Simon, he didn’t have any real friends and even his most precious friendship had suffered over time. Simon was living in New York, being an agent for eccentric models, and their lives couldn’t be more opposed today. But he knew that whatever happened, he would always have a soft spot for his childhood friend.

When the time arrives to search for a job, Aidan debates for some time before going to Kinnetik. He had been surprised when he first saw the card Brian gave him, indicating in golden letters “Brian Kinney, CEO” but he forgot to ask more information, as they were interrupted by the lovely Debbie at the diner. So, he does his research and finally, two days later, he finds the courage to go and apply for a job as a freelance photographer.

He’s a little disappointed when he understands that Brian is out with a client. The woman that greets him is kind enough, in a professional kind of way, and asks him to wait in the lobby.

In front of him on the wall, a huge painting is displayed. Aidan takes in the lines of paint, vivid and powerful, and he feels it. It’s poignant, nearly perturbing, yet amazing. The piece is called “Life” and is signed by “J. Taylor”.

“Hi.” A voice calls for him.

The voice startles him and Aidan nearly jumps. He was so lost in his thoughts while looking at the painting that he didn’t hear the other man’s approach. Turning around he recognizes the man immediately from the Diner. It seems that he’s also Brian’s CFO.

After a brief discussion in the man’s office, Aidan is following the man to the front door when the door opens just as they were about to reach it.

“Fucking rain.”

Oh.

Aidan just stares at the man before him. He hasn’t seen him in two months but he feels paralyzed by his mere presence. He can see the exact moment when Brian sees him, as his hazel eyes widen in surprise.

“Aidan?”

Aidan seems to have lost his voice for a few seconds. “Hello Brian.”

“What…?” Brian’s eyes lay on his CFO for a second before coming back to him. “What are you doing here?”

“I just submitted my application.” Aidan reveals, with a gesture of his hand to Brian’s CFO. Ted nods, before having the good sense to walk away.

“Your application.” Brian echoes as he takes his coat off.

“For a freelance job.” Aidan clarifies.

“A freelance job.” Brian furrows his brow.

“To work for your company.” Aidan adds, clearly amused by Brian’s reaction.

“My company.” Brian repeats Aidan’s words once more.

“Are you going to repeat everything I say?” Aidan asks him playfully.

“I…” Brian closes his mouth and frowns. “I’m surprised, is all. I haven’t heard from you since your last performance at Woody’s.”

“Yeah, about that, I’m…” Aidan starts to apologize, but Brian cut him off immediately.

“If you’re going to say that you’re sorry, don’t bother. Sorry’s bullshit.” Brian states dryly.

“Hum, okay.” Aidan replies, not wanting to argue over his stupid behavior.

Brian walks a few steps inside the building, leaving Aidan in the lobby. As he’s about to open a door, probably leading to his office, he pauses, looks at him, and asks. “So, are you coming? Or are you going to stand here all day?”

“No, I…” Aidan recovers quickly and says. “I’m coming.”

Brian drawls, “Hurry up then, time is money, and money makes me rich, so move your ass from my lobby, would you?”

Brian Kinney, I missed you my friend.

Smirking, Aidan follows him in his office.

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes: