Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Three years later...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Three years later, Pittsburgh, June 2027

 

 

 

 

 

Justin’s POV

 

 

 

 

 

Justin opens his eyes. The morning sun is flooding the comfy space of the bedroom, and he can’t help but smile as his gaze falls upon the beautiful form of his partner sleeping peacefully next to him.

 

 

 

He reaches out to push a strand of hair away from Brian’s eyes. The older man blinks before locking his gaze on his partner, a soft expression on his face, and Justin feels his chest tighten. He knows he is the only one Brian looks at that way, and it makes him feel special and loved.

 

 

 

Time stands still during this special moment; all Justin can see at that instant is Brian’s love for him, and he wants to thank whoever has allowed him to meet this man. Happiness is often so hard to find. Why had he been so lucky to have crossed Brian’s path twenty-seven years ago? Justin doesn’t know, and truthfully he is too busy being happy with this man to dwell on it too much. Still, from time to time, the question pops up from nowhere, reminding him that everyone doesn’t have that chance.

 

 

 

He will never voice that question out loud, though, since he is pretty sure he would never hear the end of it. His partner’s ego is sufficiently developed as it is.

 

 

 

As if to validate his thought, Brian peers at him with a knowing look, smiling mischievously.

 

 

 

“Hey...” Justin simply says, sensing his lips moving upwards even more.

 

 

 

“Hey, Sunshine...” Brian responds playfully before moving to take his lover into his arms. He buries his face in Justin’s neck and breathes deeply as he tightens his hold.

 

 

 

Neither man says anything. They just appreciate this simple moment – uncomplicated, yet so important - as it signifies so much more than just a tight embrace. It signifies experience and life, ordeals and happiness; being together, facing everything. And true love. Most of all true love.

 

 

 

“You ready?” Justin whispers when Brian loosens his grasp.

 

 

 

“I’m always ready,” Brian quips fondly, while pushing his morning hard-on against Justin’s hip.

 

 

 

“I can definitely feel it...” Justin teases impishly, as he presses his body against him in response.

 

 

 

Even at fifty-six, his partner hasn’t lost his sense of humor. Therefore, Brian can’t help but reply with a grin, “Sex isn’t funny business. It’s hard work.”

 

 

 

“Seriously? You’re still using that one?” Justin jokes, laughing at Brian’s use of the word ‘hard’ as he tries to free himself from Brian’s hold.

 

 

 

“What? You asked for it. I dare you to say you don’t worship my sense of duty,” Brian replies playfully, a big smile on his face as he starts to caress Justin’s hair.

 

 

 

The younger man gives up the fight and lets Brian brush his hand through his locks. The mood they share slowly shifts and Justin stays silent for a long moment, his eyes never leaving Brian’s face, as he tries to gauge if his partner is really as fine as he appears to be. Finally, he can’t refrain from asking, “Are you okay, really?”

 

 

 

Brian’s expression become serious; he stares at Justin for a long time, his expression open and vulnerable, before responding with a small smile on his lips, “I am.”

 

 

 

**********************************************************************************

 

 

 

Aidan died exactly a year ago.

 

 

 

During that first visit in March 2024, Justin had immediately understood that Brian wanted to be a part of Aidan’s life again. Truthfully, staying away hadn’t been an option anymore. The day Brian had agreed to see Aidan again had sealed both Brian and Aidan’s future.

 

 

 

Justin hadn’t waited for Brian to think about it, giving him his blessing as soon as they had left the Institution that day. He will always remember Brian’s look at that moment. There had been so much love in his beautiful hazel eyes, and Justin had once again been in awe to realize how much Brian loved him. Moreover, when his partner had whispered an ‘I love you’ before taking him into his arms, the crack in his voice had reached something deep inside Justin, his heart constricting as a result.

 

 

 

Even if Aidan had never been able to recognize anyone or communicate properly ever again, his health condition noticeably improved in the few weeks following their visit. It had been like his body had decided to fight to live again.

 

 

 

Everybody had been surprised, but no one had questioned the reason why it had happened. To Justin, there could have been only one plausible explanation for this turnaround. Aidan must have known on some level that Brian was a part of his life again.

 

 

 

Thus, Brian had spent a lot of time with Aidan at the Institute. He had talked to him for hours, about his life and his family, as if Aidan could understand everything he was sharing with him.

 

 

 

Naturally, Brian had confided in Justin about Aidan’s love of Africa and India, among other places; so Justin had supplied Brian with several unique, beautiful books, all of them filled with detailed information and photos about both countries. That way, his lover could in some way provide Aidan with an escape as he read to him about each place. They both knew there was always a possibility that Aidan couldn’t apprehend the words that described the scenes of life or specific landscapes, but they didn’t care. If Aidan could understand even a small part of it, it was worth it.

 

 

 

The smile on Brian’s face every time he returned from visiting Aidan had been the best present Justin could have ever received in return for his support. If possible, the revelation of Aidan’s disease and its consequences had brought him and Brian even closer, proving to them that their love for each other was boundless and that they could face anything as long as they were together.

 

 

 

However, Aidan’s health had suddenly deteriorated a little more than a year ago. Ultimately, he passed away in June 2026.

 

 

 

His death had been hard on Brian, even though he had been given ample time to prepare for it. The day of Aidan’s funeral he had cried silently in front of his son, his friends, and his family, a fact he certainly must have regretted later. And yet, as he held his partner’s hand, Justin had instantly known that Brian had been deeply touched that his friends had been there to support him in facing Aidan’s death.

 

 

 

It had been Gus who had asked everyone to come and support his father; consequently, Michael and Ben, Ted and Blake, Emmett and Liam, Lindsay and Melanie, Jenny-Rebecca, Jennifer and Molly, Debbie – Carl had passed away three years before – and Gus and Sarah, had all travelled to Harrisburg, where Aidan was going to be buried with his sister.

 

 

 

When Brian had first laid eyes on them, he hadn’t been able to hide his true feelings anymore.

 

 

 

A moment later, he had lightly touched Aidan’s coffin with his hand as time seemed to stop. Brian hadn’t tried to keep his emotions from overwhelming him during that moment, allowing his friends to see his vulnerability without his usual mask, and without shame. Brian’s sadness over Aidan’s death had been palpable, as the man had softly laid a single red rose on the coffin before stepping back slowly.

 

 

 

That day, when every one of their friends had hugged Brian and Justin afterwards, words hadn’t been necessary to convey what everyone was feeling.

 

 

 

A few days later, when they had all returned to Pittsburgh, they had shared a meal at Debbie’s, and the magic had operated as always; gossip and laughter had filled the air, reminding Justin of how lucky they were to have such a wonderful family. And when Brian had finally laughed at one of Emmett’s dubious jokes, while grazing Justin’s neck with his hand like it was the most natural thing in the world, Justin had known that everything was going to be okay.

 

 

 

The truth is, Justin wouldn’t change a thing about his life. He is so happy. He has a great job, wonderful friends and a partner he loves more than anything.

 

 

 

Moreover, true love is not common. In fact, if you find it even once in your life, you are lucky.

 

 

 

And Justin feels like he is the luckiest man in the world.

 

 

 

**********************************************************************************

 

 

 

Brian’s POV

 

 

 

 

 

Same day, five hours later, Harrisburg

 

 

 

 

 

Brian and Justin have travelled all the way from Pittsburgh. During the car ride, they had joked and laughed, talking animatedly and smiling over each other’s reactions, as only two long-term lovers can do.

 

 

 

They had not even discussed the reason why they were coming here today. When Brian had announced one week ago that he wanted to go to Harrisburg on this exact date, Justin had simply nodded. Of course, Justin’s presence at Brian’s side during this trip had been implied all along.

 

 

 

Now, Brian is standing alone under the sunshine, listening to the beautiful sing of a robin nearby. Justin had opted to remain in the parking lot, wanting to give his partner some privacy.

 

 

 

“Hey, Aidan...” Brian whispers, looking at the tombstone in front of him. He pinches his lips before adding, “I wanted to see you. I can’t believe it’s been a year already since you’ve been gone.”

 

 

 

He stays silent for a moment, just standing here and listening to the wonderful sound of the bird, which is now perched on a tree nearby. It makes him smile a little as he finally confides, “I’m going to be a grandfather. Me... Brian Kinney. Can you fucking believe it? Because I can’t.”

 

 

 

He huffs playfully, thinking about how his thirty-year-old self would have felt about that, before sharing, “I hate to admit it, but becoming a grandfather is pretty exciting. But don’t you dare repeat it to anyone. I still have a reputation to uphold.”

 

 

 

Then he quips, “Fuck, I can’t believe I’m standing here, talking to myself.  Seriously, you should be ashamed. No one has ever made me do that before.”

 

 

 

Finally, Brian breathes deeply and closes his eyes, focusing on the melody he is hearing. It causes a strange feeling of peace to wash over him, as beautiful memories of his time with Aidan creep into his mind. When he opens his eyes again, he reveals, “I miss you so much, I truly do...And yet, you were right, you know? I’ve survived. And I’m so fucking happy it isn’t even funny...”

 

 

 

He moves forward and kneels in front of the tombstone. He raises his hand and his fingers linger on Aidan’s name for a moment before he lets his hand fall back onto his knee.

 

 

 

“I hope you’re happy... wherever you are.” He feels the moisture in his eyes as he pronounces those words.

 

 

 

He doesn’t move for a long time.

 

 

 

At last, he stands up and begins to step back slowly, his eyes never leaving Aidan’s name.

 

 

 

That’s when he hears his partner calling his name.

 

 

 

“Brian? I’m sorry, but we need to go!” Justin informs him as he rushes over, a funny look on his face.

 

 

 

“What?” Brian asks, but as a smile appears on Justin’s face, he suddenly understands what’s going on.

 

 

 

“Gus called on your cell...” Brian can feel a warm feeling spreading in his chest as Justin confirms, “You’re going to be a grandfather...”

 

 

 

Brian looks at Justin’s smile, the one that can still made his heart beat faster every time he is on the receiving end of it. He peers down at Aidan’s tombstone one last time, unable to keep a smile from appearing on his own face as he whispers his goodbye.

 

 

 

As Brian follows Justin back to the car, the robin sings louder before flying away.

 

 

 

**********************************************************************************

 

 

 

Sarah and Gus both wanted to be close to their family to welcome their child into their lives, so they had stayed in Pittsburgh for the last couple of months.

 

 

 

After Gus’s phone call, Brian and Justin hurry back to Pittsburgh from Harrisburg, arriving at Alleghany hospital after a three-and-a-half drive.

 

 

 

They’re both excited as they almost run through the hospital’s corridors, reminding them of another time when they had done exactly the same thing almost twenty-seven years ago.

 

 

 

When they arrive everyone else is already there, ready to welcome the newest member into the family.

 

 

 

Michael sees them approaching and smiles. “Hey!” He comes closer to his friends. “Congratulations!” He engulfs Brian in a tight embrace before looking at Justin and repeating the action. Finally, he reveals, “Gus is waiting for you...Room 218.”

 

 

 

Brian looks at his best friend, feeling overwhelmed all of a sudden. Then he smiles over at his partner who is standing next to him, catching his gaze and prompting Justin to smile back at him in return as his younger lover jokes fondly, “Come on; your son and your grandson are waiting for you...Grandpa...”

 

 

 

Brian reacts immediately, his smile never leaving his face as he begins to walk in the direction of the room, his arm around Justin’s shoulders. He leans in closer to his partner and whispers in his ear, “You will pay for that...later...”

 

 

 

Justin responds playfully, “I certainly hope so...”

 

 

 

Brian slows down momentarily and looks at his partner, “You realize you’re as much a grandpa as I am, right?” he reminds him, grinning.

 

 

 

Justin’s sunshine smile is all the response he needs.

 

 

 

**********************************************************************************

 

 

 

Five minutes later, Brian is standing with his partner and his son in the hospital room, holding his grandson in his arms. Sarah is resting in her bed a few feet away; the three men have retreated to the far corner of the room.

 

 

 

“You have a son...” Brian whispers in awe, looking proudly at Gus, the happiness he is feeling at that moment indescribable.

 

 

 

“Yeah...It’s...I...” Gus mumbles, overwhelmed by his own emotions.

 

 

 

Brian’s eyes stare back at his grandson; for several seconds he is unable to take his eyes away from this little being who seems so fragile in his arms. Finally he looks over at his partner, his eyes shining with joy. “You want to hold him?”

 

 

 

Justin looks over at Gus who nods cheerfully before he takes the baby carefully in his arms, whispering, “He’s so beautiful.”

 

 

 

Brian stares at the image of his partner holding their grandson with his son standing next to him, and he feels it again. This feeling of love, stronger than anything as it invades every cell of his being. Moreover, he can’t help but marvel at the wonder of the three of them being there tonight, reminding him of another night when he had first met these two men at the same time. Like a full circle, his grandson’s birth feels so special and wonderful.

 

 

 

“I have a question I wanted to ask you, Dad...” Gus confides suddenly, looking at his father nervously.

 

 

 

Brian peers over curiously at his son, understanding whatever he is going to share with him has to be important.

 

 

 

Gus begins, “Sarah and I had been struggling to find a name for our son before Justin gave us a suggestion...” He hesitates briefly before revealing, “We’d like to name him Aidan...”

 

 

 

Brian’s eyes grow wide before staring back at his partner, his face indecipherable. Justin gazes back at him expectantly.

 

 

 

Looking at his lover right now, Brian isn’t sure Justin is aware of the person he really is. He is so fucking beautiful.

 

 

 

Brian couldn’t imagine a life without the younger man in it. Justin makes him stronger; a better friend, a better father. A better lover.

 

 

 

Brian loves him so much; he swears to himself that he will be the partner Justin deserves for the rest of his life. He will cherish every moment, every touch and every smile. He will do anything to keep this man in his life and to honor his love, his faith in him. He owes that to Justin. And to Aidan.

 

 

 

At that moment, he addresses one single thought to his former lover, hoping he can hear it, wherever he is.

 

 

 

Thank you. I promise you I will cherish every one of these moments you gave me.

 

 

 

And finally, he lets Justin and Gus see how touched he is by their proposal. He smiles, a real and wide smile he rarely shares, expressing the joy he is feeling completely.

 

 

 

He still has one more thing to say to his partner before leaving his son and grandson and going home, though.

 

 

 

“You really want to name every one of my heirs, don’t you?”

 

 

 

Justin laughs. And Brian’s heart feels like it’s ready to explode with happiness.

 

 

 

THE END

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

 

 

 

 


I want to thank my wonderful beta for putting up with my moods, my poor grammar and vocabulary as well as my ups and downs. I couldn’t have gone so far without her. You’re not just one of the best authors here, you’re also a wonderful person, Kim.

 

 

I also want to thank the readers of course, and especially the reviewers! Reading a review for an author is a real booster to keep going. My advise, if you like an author and want her/him to post faster, post a review (or even several lol)!

 

I did offer at one point to write another story about Aidan and Brian. But truthfully, I don’t know to this day if I will do that. If some of you are interesting, let me know.

 

Alois